Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3602170 times)

BikeJesus

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #39060 on: January 29, 2023, 11:14:22 PM »
I decided to pick up the Dead Space remake.

After a couple hours, split between my PC and Steam Deck, I have to say that this feels like a remaster. It feels exactly like the original, which I played through on the Steam Deck a couple months ago. The graphics are nice, and it isn't exactly 1-1, but it feels just like the original.

The original is still great, and the new one is equally great. Not worth full price, and it also has some loading chug on PC.

Himu

« Reply #39061 on: January 29, 2023, 11:33:04 PM »
Dled Signalis on a whim from Game Pass. It's pretty fantastic. It reminds me of a game we would have gotten on Nintendo DS, even down to the pixelated graphics. More than that, it shows me how much charm gaming has lost by transitioning to a mostly voice acted medium. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing inherently bad with voice acting but it does limit one's creativity and immersion because you're relying on a voiced format that has to present to the player a specific mood. But when you're forced to read you're allowed more freedom of interpretation and there's a greater emphasis on the video game side interaction as well as visual story clues. It's a feel that made certain genres, notably RPGs, feel more collaborative and interpretative. All this and more is in Signalis. Without the shackles of voice acting the developer's have their paints primed and can make any type of stroke they please on the canvas they're modeled. I'm not going to say voice acting weakened gaming. But I will say that by making almost every game voiced it did make games a lot less interesting.

Moreover, voices changed the medium from being mostly interactive to being more cinematic. Signalis hits all the right buttons. It's basically 2d Resident Evil in space.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 11:50:42 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #39062 on: January 29, 2023, 11:58:38 PM »
Played some more Goldeneye

There's an impressive mission variety in this game compared to modern day FPS games. Hostage rescue, rush through a missile silo etc. .
Not many folks seem to be playing though, I'm getting "Rare achievement" awards on mission 7. Guess many couldn't beat Silo? Currently on Surface 2. Which is probably one of the weaker levels overall.

It holds up on Xbox Series X I guess, it's pretty much an emulated port with some glitches and a poor framerate. The XBLA version that never released seemed much superior to this version.
I did the first stage, but my time is split between mainly Octopath Traveler (I feel like it's leaving Gamepass soon) and Hi-Fi Rush.  I really wish it had online multi though. It's almost impossible to get 4 friends together to game in your mid 30s.

Himu

« Reply #39063 on: January 30, 2023, 07:26:28 AM »
I'm surprised there's no online. Wtf were they thinking?
IYKYK

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #39064 on: January 30, 2023, 07:29:36 AM »
Something to do with nintendo being weirdos apparently
(ice)

Himu

« Reply #39065 on: January 30, 2023, 08:33:58 AM »
Shouldn't have been on Nintendo then especially since it apparently doesn't have modern controls.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #39066 on: January 30, 2023, 09:56:56 AM »
Made it to the first full moon in Persona 3 Portable.

me, when I imagine 10 years ago
©@©™

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #39067 on: January 30, 2023, 10:01:44 AM »
Is P3 any good (not like I don't have 100 hours of Royale to go or nearly all of P4)
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #39068 on: January 30, 2023, 12:16:04 PM »
yes

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #39069 on: January 30, 2023, 12:22:16 PM »
Hopefully it will be on sale by the time I'm done with those other two :stahp
(ice)

Himu

« Reply #39070 on: January 30, 2023, 12:27:17 PM »
Is P3 any good (not like I don't have 100 hours of Royale to go or nearly all of P4)

P3 is the ultimate culmination of the jrpg. It's traditional while also experimental. The most addictive game. It's so good it was nicknamed Himusona in these parts. :smug

Seriously though, P3 does a lot of things P4 or 5 don't do, namely in the simulation. P3 is a game of choice because your actions have actual consequences. If you're out too late, you might get too sleepy, and the next day you won't be able to participate in dungeons or even study. As the time creeps by you might find yourself making interesting decisions between studying that night or going out crawling. It makes for a unique structure. I was so addicted to P3 when it came out I made actual calendars on real paper and scheduled my week in the game so that every decision was planned down to the T. P4 and 5 don't have that same sense of urgency and are lesser for it. P3 remains the king and personally, I couldn't even get past the second dungeon P5 before putting the game down as it is against everything that made P3 what it was and why it worked. A game of choice became endless cutscenes and being told what to do. There's no real gameplay ramifications for your actions in P4 or 5 because people didn't like the drowsy mechanic. P3 has far great emphasis on its sim aspect. By P5 they're glorified VN's.

Persona 3 is the best jrpg made, in my opinion. It works on so many levels. :delicious

And unlike P4 and 5 it doesn't neuter the classic SMT horror element.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 03:08:14 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #39071 on: January 30, 2023, 05:34:34 PM »
I disagree, P3P is dogshit ESPECIALLY coming from P5 or even P4

The tired/sick mechanic is even worse and I'm so glad that shit got removed quickly
fat

Himu

« Reply #39072 on: January 30, 2023, 05:52:22 PM »
My first impression of Alien Isolation is really bad. The stealth is horrendous and the enemies so far have no clear pattern. I'm crouched and enemies can see me across the room and then I'm shot and then I die. It's the opposite of fun. I keep thinking "what are the rules?" The answer? There are none.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 05:59:44 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #39073 on: January 30, 2023, 06:01:12 PM »
Game is trash. Deleted. Time for Doom 2016.

Edit: Doom 2016 is some good ass food. Mm! Mm! Delicious.

RIP AND TEAR! RIP AND TEAR, NICCA!

« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 06:12:39 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #39074 on: January 30, 2023, 07:04:57 PM »
Dled Signalis on a whim from Game Pass. It's pretty fantastic. It reminds me of a game we would have gotten on Nintendo DS, even down to the pixelated graphics. More than that, it shows me how much charm gaming has lost by transitioning to a mostly voice acted medium. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing inherently bad with voice acting but it does limit one's creativity and immersion because you're relying on a voiced format that has to present to the player a specific mood. But when you're forced to read you're allowed more freedom of interpretation and there's a greater emphasis on the video game side interaction as well as visual story clues. It's a feel that made certain genres, notably RPGs, feel more collaborative and interpretative. All this and more is in Signalis. Without the shackles of voice acting the developer's have their paints primed and can make any type of stroke they please on the canvas they're modeled. I'm not going to say voice acting weakened gaming. But I will say that by making almost every game voiced it did make games a lot less interesting.

Moreover, voices changed the medium from being mostly interactive to being more cinematic. Signalis hits all the right buttons. It's basically 2d Resident Evil in space.

See?

They've even gotten to DOOM of all franchises. A franchise whose claim to fame was creating atmosphere without voices and telling a story through situational and visual oriented interactive/exploration oriented feedback has a stupid voice yapping at you. You get to a cool looking room full of blood and guts and horror and can't just bask in it and wonder and ask questions before some stupid robot fuck starts talking.

Voice acting makes games lesser. It's like game developers don't understand their own games or the appeal of games. Doom is a great game but gotdamn the writing and storytelling is leaps and bounds inferior to the original. I just had to sit through a robot dude yapping at me for two minutes in fucking Doom explaining all this story garbage when NO ONE CARES. Rip and tear, baby.
IYKYK

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #39075 on: January 30, 2023, 07:21:27 PM »
I disagree, P3P is dogshit ESPECIALLY coming from P5 or even P4

The tired/sick mechanic is even worse and I'm so glad that shit got removed quickly

I'll probably just stick with the normie ones then.

Been playing alot of gran Turismo 4, and while the game play is light years behind GT7, the content and track variety in 4 is equally superior to 7. Not to mention some of the bizzarely obtuse shit in 7 like having to go to a track to pick one race of a series (non championship), then to another track for the next rather than it all being in one place, like it is in every other game in the console SIM racer.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 07:30:24 PM by Pissy F Benny »
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #39076 on: January 30, 2023, 08:31:35 PM »
Persona 3 was amazing for its time and it still has great music and story because that stuff doesn't age. Except maybe the characters. Characters can age. Not sure if the cast holds up compared to P4/P5 casts.

The gameplay was much improved with the sequels. Not sure how fun it would be to go back to these days. Story is the only Persona in 3-5 that actually feels like a dark SMT game. P4/P5 have diverged into their own thing and that's fine and cool. P3 feels more like Strange Journey or something.

Polident Hive

« Reply #39077 on: January 30, 2023, 11:34:58 PM »
What I’m confused about are the rumors of a Persona 3 remake, separate from this PSP re-release on other platforms. Certainly some aspects that can do with an overhaul to bring it inline with 4 and 5. But when I’m hearing remake, I take it to mean rebuilding all assets and effectively making a PS4 game.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #39078 on: January 31, 2023, 12:01:49 AM »
A P3 remake with all the improvements the subsequent games brought would make the game tolerable yes
fat

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #39079 on: January 31, 2023, 01:35:12 AM »
My first impression of Alien Isolation is really bad. The stealth is horrendous and the enemies so far have no clear pattern. I'm crouched and enemies can see me across the room and then I'm shot and then I die. It's the opposite of fun. I keep thinking "what are the rules?" The answer? There are none.
Yep, it was dogshit.

That and Prey had that same "fuck you" attitude to game design.
Spud

Himu

« Reply #39080 on: January 31, 2023, 01:45:49 AM »
Yep, it was dogshit.

I'm really confused by the accolades. The game was designed as if by a toddler. Five minutes before you beat some guy that is attacking the guy you're following. Then you run into dudes with guns so your natural thought process is, I can sneak up behind them and wack them (pause) with melee and then steal their weapons. This is stealth game 101, right? Nope. Sitting in the dark gets you exposed. Enemies have pinpoint accuracy. If you try to sneak up behind them they know you're there. It's just bad and I'm convinced people would realize it's kusoge if not for the Alien logo on the box.

Shit game.

You kill dudes with the guns and turns out you can't even pick up their weapons but you can pick all manner of dog shit elsewhere.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 02:11:38 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

Coax

« Reply #39081 on: January 31, 2023, 02:33:43 AM »

Strange. I played Prey on hard and didn't find it annoying in terms of difficulty. Wasn't fond of the game for other reasons though.

Himu

« Reply #39082 on: January 31, 2023, 02:53:09 AM »
I'll play Prey and Soma and decide for myself.
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #39083 on: January 31, 2023, 04:13:53 AM »

Strange. I played Prey on hard and didn't find it annoying in terms of difficulty. Wasn't fond of the game for other reasons though.
My vague recollection is starting the game, not having any indication about where I should go or what I should do. Then dying from something I barely even knew was there. Rinse and repeat a few times. Then I decided that there was a reason it was in the second hand bargain bin and I should just eat the $10 or something I paid for it so I wouldn't have to put up with the shit game design any more and I could play something that was competently designed.
Spud

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #39084 on: January 31, 2023, 05:14:12 AM »
I wouldn't call expecting people to use their brains to figure things out bad game design. It sounds like you barely paid attention to the game and then were caught off guard when in turned out it wasn't your regular follow the marker, simon says kind of design most games seem to run on.

You'd hate The Outer Wilds.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #39085 on: January 31, 2023, 03:15:23 PM »
I'm ~60 hours into Persona 5 Royal and it seems like the story is sorta starting to get going now, lol. Incredible game ofc and I've warmed up to the english dub.

Also been picking away at Vampire Survivors and High On Life on Gamepass. Started Hi Fi Rush and its awesome but im gonna try and beat all these other games first
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 03:22:34 PM by The Sceneman »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #39086 on: January 31, 2023, 06:35:50 PM »
I wouldn't call expecting people to use their brains to figure things out bad game design. It sounds like you barely paid attention to the game and then were caught off guard when in turned out it wasn't your regular follow the marker, simon says kind of design most games seem to run on.

I quite liked The Outer Wilds. The systems made sense and there were subtle indications on what to do and how to do it. Learning the systems felt rewarding and, most importantly, experimenting was fun.

Prey was just trash. Janky trash with no redeeming qualities outside of being inaccessible enough that only the weirdos who like self-flagellation could enjoy it.
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #39087 on: January 31, 2023, 07:11:54 PM »
More Skyward Sword

Playing it with normal controls actually works better than I expected. Beat the first dungeon, which is more enjoyable without Fi spoiling everything.
This game already does a lot of the environmental puzzles and platforming that BOTW has, just smaller in scale and with more constraints. 
I think the Motion Controls of the original (and the low resolution) kinda overshadowed everything else 'new' they did in this game.

I also forgot about the Beetle Drone item. That would've been a great addition to allow for some scouting in Breath of the Wild much like the birds in Assassins Creed.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #39088 on: January 31, 2023, 08:17:50 PM »
Ok, tried PS5 Dead Space post-patch and yeah game looks a hell of a lot better.

Performance mode is a pretty solid PS4-gen looking game at smooth 60fps. Quality mode looks pretty nice, but the framerate is rough to stomach.

One thing I wish the game allowed was to increase the film grain filter. I have it on and you can barely tell. It's set to such a light amount of grain. For games with volumetric misty lighting in dark rooms I prefer a good amount of grain to the image. Wish I could increase that.

Anyhow, game looks good enough now that I'll actually play this thing.

Started playing Eiyuden Chronicles: Rising on Game Pass while waiting for Eiyuden Hundred Heroes to get a release date. I know it's supposed to be a bad game, but idk, seems like a decent turn off your brain time-waster like a clicker game. I like the music, sprites are alright, story is ok, gameplay is mid. If this was long I wouldn't play it, but it's short enough I'll probably blow through it just to get whatever intro/prologue to Eiyuden Hundred Heroes that the story/setting is supposed to provide.

Mainly playing 2064 Read Only Memories though. I'm a decent way in and I like it. It's a VN but it's paced like a point n click adventure game. Normally VNs are blah blah blah talky and monologues, whereas this is just a point n click mystery adventure game just without any real puzzles so you go around talk to people and the plot moves in a linear VN path with no real gameplay, but I like it? I also don't really play point n' click adventure games for their puzzles and just for the story stuff, so I guess having no puzzles doesn't bother me much. The music is so good.

Himu

« Reply #39089 on: January 31, 2023, 08:20:36 PM »

What am I doing wrong in Alien Isolation then? I tend to prefer games that don't have handholding and let you figure things out. If you make your case I'll try it again.
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #39090 on: January 31, 2023, 08:59:36 PM »
Played another hour or so of Death Stranding. Updated that thread,  it I’m probably just going to delete the game.

Finally deleted GTA V after half a year of not playing Online and tired of it taking up 100GB.

Also deleted Ghost of Tsushima, unfinished. Finally admitted I am uninterested in completing it. Gotham Knights also is lined up for deletion in this category.

Polident Hive

« Reply #39091 on: January 31, 2023, 09:05:50 PM »
Those posts got me interested in trying Death Stranding. After ten minutes of skipping cutscenes, the guy slowly walks to a base. More skipping cutscenes. Walk from that base to another base, with a body on guy’s back, barely able to walk straight. Skip cutscenes. Stealth segment. Asks me to walk back to the first base. Trip over a rock and this jar baby starts crying. Have to gently sway the controller to calm it. Trip over another rock. Deleted game.

Bebpo

« Reply #39092 on: January 31, 2023, 10:44:25 PM »
Those posts got me interested in trying Death Stranding. After ten minutes of skipping cutscenes, the guy slowly walks to a base. More skipping cutscenes. Walk from that base to another base, with a body on guy’s back, barely able to walk straight. Skip cutscenes. Stealth segment. Asks me to walk back to the first base. Trip over a rock and this jar baby starts crying. Have to gently sway the controller to calm it. Trip over another rock. Deleted game.

:iface

Yeah, I don't think this is a game for you.

Himu

« Reply #39093 on: January 31, 2023, 11:28:18 PM »
Red Dead Redemption 2 - slow ass follow the leader while they yap at you Hollywood bullshit. Barely fits the descriptor of a game currently. Wtf happened to Rockstar? Hold LB while you cycle through a menu? What in the ever living fuck happened to this hobby?

Doom 2016 Proof there is a God.

Signalis Dope.
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #39094 on: February 01, 2023, 01:12:57 AM »
Red Dead Redemption 2 - slow ass follow the leader while they yap at you Hollywood bullshit. Barely fits the descriptor of a game currently. Wtf happened to Rockstar? Hold LB while you cycle through a menu? What in the ever living fuck happened to this hobby?
:preach

Absolutely. That game was arse and the controls are unworkable.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Before someone comes in and tells me I should adjust the controls in the settings...fuck you, I shouldn't have to adjust the controls to make the game playable.
[close]

Way too many people invest way too much of their spare time into games that do not treat the player with any respect.

Fuck you, I don't want to spend an hour before the game even starts and I don't want to invest 5 hours before things start to get good.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #39095 on: February 01, 2023, 03:04:07 AM »
Played a few hours of Dead Space tonight and yeah, I'm not feeling it that much. It's totally fine. Plays well enough, looks solid with the volumetric fog lighting being the best part of it. But the combat just feels boring and repetitive these days to me. Just feels like I could be spending my gaming time on something more fun. The environments feel sparse and empty even if they look nice because of the PS3 origins, the gameplay still feels like a pretty basic arena TPS and the story does absolutely nothing for me because I already know the story and there's no mystery.

Honestly, had more fun with the time I spent on this 65 MC Indivisible ripoff than the same amount of time playing Dead Space remake.

Polident Hive

« Reply #39096 on: February 01, 2023, 04:04:59 AM »

:iface

Yeah, I don't think this is a game for you.

Under different circumstances, in another time, I could see myself getting into it. Between deciding what to spend the remaining month of PlayStation gamepass on, and generally leaning towards action and arcadey games these days, I’ll freely admit I didn’t give it a chance.

I’ll give it this, great use of those PS5 triggers. Actually end up turning them off in most games.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #39097 on: February 01, 2023, 04:14:52 AM »
What am I doing wrong in Alien Isolation then? I tend to prefer games that don't have handholding and let you figure things out. If you make your case I'll try it again.

I was talking to Potato about Prey. I don't think you're doing anything wrong in Alien. The Outlast styled horror probably just isn't your thing. It's more stealth horror and less survival horror. You're not really meant to fight back in Alien: Isolation.

If you're not enjoying the opening hours, cut your losses. This thing is 18 hours long and basically twice or even thrice the length it should've been.

Himu

« Reply #39098 on: February 01, 2023, 08:58:40 AM »

Before someone comes in and tells me I should adjust the controls in the settings...fuck you, I shouldn't have to adjust the controls to make the game playable.
[close]

Way too many people invest way too much of their spare time into games that do not treat the player with any respect.

Fuck you, I don't want to spend an hour before the game even starts and I don't want to invest 5 hours before things start to get good.

Too many games have become a medium ashamed of their roots and ashamed of being games. It's fucking pathetic.

If I play your game for hours and all I'm doing is holding up you have a shit game. Also the gunplay is laughable. If this doesn't become a game within the next ten hours I'm taking it back. The only reason I'm giving it such goodwill is my history with Rockstar as a developer. I'll get Hitman instead. I'm utterly shocked at the accolades this game received. It's straight doo doo so far.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 09:04:16 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #39099 on: February 01, 2023, 10:17:47 AM »

[close]

Too many games have become a medium ashamed of their roots and ashamed of being games. It's fucking pathetic.

If I play your game for hours and all I'm doing is holding up you have a shit game. Also the gunplay is laughable. If this doesn't become a game within the next ten hours I'm taking it back. The only reason I'm giving it such goodwill is my history with Rockstar as a developer. I'll get Hitman instead. I'm utterly shocked at the accolades this game received. It's straight doo doo so far.
I'll thrice that... RDR2 felt like a waste of $20.  Besides the decent (not great, but decent) graphics, it was such a slog to get into, let alone trying to “ease” you into the horribly clunky and unintuitive gameplay. Almost as if they’re trying to convince you that this is the way to go..  Only reason I got some form of hype for it was because of all the accolades it got.  It’s clear that it was all R* fan hype, nothing more.  Sure, they have some great artists with attention to detail (like the eagle swooping down to catch a fish in a random pond), but those types of details have been in PS2 era games as well, in the right hands. (e.g. MGS2) 

This reason too is why I’m hyped for Wanted: Dead.  I am admittedly riding a high for it right now, but we all know there’ll be no bullshit in it and will be nothing but action, gameplay… Even in the game’s down time, there’ll be gameplay.  Fucking give it to me.

Svejk

« Reply #39100 on: February 01, 2023, 10:23:46 AM »
Played another hour or so of Death Stranding. Updated that thread,  it I’m probably just going to delete the game.

Finally deleted GTA V after half a year of not playing Online and tired of it taking up 100GB.

Also deleted Ghost of Tsushima, unfinished. Finally admitted I am uninterested in completing it. Gotham Knights also is lined up for deletion in this category.
Honestly, it feels kinda great to purge your system of stuff...  Out of site, out of mind, move on.  :rejoice
Until something sparks interest and you download it again only to be reminded why you deleted it in the first or second place.  :doge

For example, I was "done" with DA: Inquisition.. I've downloaded and deleted that game around three times now... And now, I recently dl'd it again because I know there'll be some hype around DA4 when it's starts to come around and it will hit me yet again.   :killme
[close]
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 01:20:33 PM by Svejk »

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #39101 on: February 01, 2023, 10:25:51 AM »
Beat Act II of Returnal with only 8 deaths total in less than 15 hours, and two of those deaths were because I didn’t know the dead scouts are super OP when you’re just starting a run :dice :ego

Getting the secret ending sounds like RNG bullshit though. I like the game, but I don’t know if I like it enough to grind when there’s no real new content left as far as I can tell.
Margs

Svejk

« Reply #39102 on: February 01, 2023, 10:31:38 AM »
Beat Act II of Returnal with only 8 deaths total in less than 15 hours, and two of those deaths were because I didn’t know the dead scouts are super OP when you’re just starting a run :dice :ego

Getting the secret ending sounds like RNG bullshit though. I like the game, but I don’t know if I like it enough to grind when there’s no real new content left as far as I can tell.
It's not that bad and random.  Found all the sun shards quick and easy in each level, and they're permanent, so you can skip levels if you missed/couldn't find one.  Found them all within like an hour or two...  Don't fear the reaper.

Returnal fucking owns. It's the closest thing to a proper 3D Contra out there (with a total Metroid coating).

Himu

« Reply #39103 on: February 01, 2023, 11:02:29 AM »

Honestly, it feels kinda great to purge you system of stuff...  Out of site, out of mind, move on.  :rejoice
Until something sparks interest and you download it again only to be reminded why you deleted it in the first or second place.  :doge

For example, I was "done" with DA: Inquisition.. I've downloaded and deleted that game around three times now... And now, I recently dl'd it again because I know there'll be some hype around DA4 when it's starts to come around and it will hit me yet again.   :killme
[close]

One of the best elements of modern gaming, although it sounds counterintuitive, is how disposable games are. Back in the day if you bought a stinker you might feel a need to finish it because it cost lots of money and you were probably stuck with it unless you traded it in or took it back. These days you have games coming out the ass, especially on Game Pass, and if your game doesn't impress within a few hours it's fish food, and will be deleted. This makes all the best games rise to the top.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #39104 on: February 01, 2023, 11:49:14 AM »
Signalis is a perfect opportunity to compare classical gaming with modern "cinematic" gaming.

Once upon a time, once games got out of 2d and the early 3d era, we decided as a medium and game fans that games as an art medium was best through its use of interaction. We controlled the character and learned details through our direct involvement while having complete control. Think the intro to Half Life 2. All of it was communicated through as little dialogue as possible. We saw the way they treated humans, how the Combine sucked the life out of everything, and forced humanity into poverty and piece meal. There was no exposition dump. There was no person constantly yapping at you and explaining what happened. The game let you experience it for yourself. Games had a less is more approach to storytelling, influenced by classical film's "show don't tell" rule and games that gave text dumps or were "cinematic" were generally niche RPGs like Planescape or Final Fantasy. Yet no one was mad because that's what those games were good at. Titles such as Portal, Shadow of the Colossus pushed the medium to its stage of artistic development that was mature and aged. The gaming community overwhelmingly agreed that games could provide a unique type of storytelling. It's why horror games or horror adjacent games like Silent Hill, Half Life, Portal, Dark Souls more were at the forefront of the games as art movement. Games had very much perfected its formula and how to make an engaging, artistically crafted experience while still very much remaining a game.

Then somewhere along something happened in the 2010's and the big boys decided that with their endless supply of resources and budget that games would be better as interactive movies. I'm not sure when this movement started. I'm not even sure who started it. You could point fingers at Kojima but MGS1 is very much a game game despite all the dialogue and story and perfectly knows how to balance the two. You could point your finger at the rise of games like Uncharted which were clearly Hollywood influenced, linear, dialogue heavy romps with little if any interaction or choice but you could also look at the opposite extreme: the rise of the RPG - in particular the wrpg. Heavy dialogue and constant conversations went from an RPG specific thing to a gaming thing. Ignoring the fact that the more voice acting there was the less complicated these RPGs became (compare the original Fallout to 3). Either way, games of all genres transitioned from crafted experiences that hinged themselves on letting the player experience the world at their own pace to a medium all about communicating the developers' vision in the way they visioned it. Games transitioned from an interactive medium to a more guided medium.

Gaming messed with perfection because for whatever reason the masses like slick "cinematic" stuff more than the tried and true gaming artistic formula.

I mention all of this because it makes Signalis all the more poignant and refreshing, and a window in to the gaming of yesteryear.

Signalis stars a robot peace keeper on a mission. The mission is to retrieve a woman. We don't know why but we go to a facility to find her.

All we find is blood and quiet.

We have no idea what happened here but exploring allows us to tie up the details. In old games they'd let you figure things out with context clues or visual clues or written datalogs.

Through exploring we can figure out that the function of this facility is a worker plant facility. People that have infractions get punished, often with death, if they betray orders.

We learn that the main character is one of these "super weapons". Why was one sent? We learn this is how their state functions and this isn't just something unique to the facility but in general. Was there a revolt? Datalogs reveal there was a flu that spread. Could that be related?

The game lets you figure it out through exploration, interacting with objects, and solving puzzles. It's really simple but it's effective and enjoyable. Honestly this is all gaming ever needed to be and I'm not sure why the dramatic shift with games happened. I feel like people would like games like RDR2 much more if they were more respectful of their time.

Others would probably see the lack of cinematics in Signalis to proof that it's outdated or a relic. I think it's just the latest in a long tradition that has been classified as declasse. I can only hope that eventually games get back to the classical feel because I think they're all the better for it. It probably just takes one big budget bomb for games to scale back but I don't think that will ever happen. Shame.

Signalis is highly recommended. Honestly it's games like this that made me consider becoming a game designer at one point in my life. Playing something like this or Resident Evil 2 Remake still gives the itch to want to make a game although I know it won't ever happen. I'm just glad games like it still exist.

I was talking to Potato about Prey. I don't think you're doing anything wrong in Alien. The Outlast styled horror probably just isn't your thing. It's more stealth horror and less survival horror. You're not really meant to fight back in Alien: Isolation.

If you're not enjoying the opening hours, cut your losses. This thing is 18 hours long and basically twice or even thrice the length it should've been.

Not having to fight sounds perfect. I also love stealth games. I just don't understand the stealth "rules". I still feel like I should give it another shot. On paper it sounds exactly my kind of thing.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 12:06:30 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #39105 on: February 01, 2023, 01:09:05 PM »
Alien Isolation is amazing, yes you're not meant to fight back, youre just some weak engineer trying to survive. Especially when the titular Alien makes their appearance
fat

Himu

« Reply #39106 on: February 01, 2023, 01:21:27 PM »
Alien Isolation is amazing, yes you're not meant to fight back, youre just some weak engineer trying to survive. Especially when the titular Alien makes their appearance

I'll give it another shot
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #39107 on: February 01, 2023, 01:25:49 PM »
I stopped playing Alien Isolation only because, like Kingdom Come Deliverance, if they're not going to make it with official VR support (which it's clearly destined to be), then I'd rather pass and hang on to that sliver of hope that they do implement it someday. :tocry

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #39108 on: February 01, 2023, 01:34:06 PM »

I'll give it another shot

Eventually you will get some gear to "fight back" but its more to "scare off" things

eg. The classic flamethrower which scares off the Alien or burns eggs/facehuggers

During the intro bits you mostly deal with androids and thugs so you just get a stun baton and some guns, but again you arent meant to solely focus on killing everything in the game

You will find yourself probably reloading and save scumming to get things "just right"

I absolutely love Isolation, but if you really arent enjoying it just jump off and move on
fat

Himu

« Reply #39109 on: February 01, 2023, 01:59:57 PM »
I want to support the anti cinematic game movement so I'll give it another shot.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #39110 on: February 01, 2023, 06:16:01 PM »
Okay so I got to the point where I'm chased by androids. Seems my main complaint was a very specific room against very specific human enemies. It was a badly designed room to be fair. Without much knowledge of how the game works it just felt like trial and error and not in a fun way where you learn about a games rules and mechanics. I got past it and then the game immediately improved from there. Sneaking from the Alien is fantastic and riveting stealth gaming.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #39111 on: February 02, 2023, 06:09:45 PM »

I'M CUMMING!

Thank you Demi and Hardcoreretro for letting me give this game another shot! Have no idea what the devs were thinking with Chapter 3 but other than that :delicious I'm so glad to be proven wrong.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #39112 on: February 03, 2023, 06:34:48 PM »
Decided to download the Moguri Mod for Final Fantasy IX on my Steam Deck. It uses AI upscaling to rez up the backgrounds (as well as some retouching by humans to try to fix any AI weirdness), it makes it widescreen where possible, and uses AI interpolation to bump the FMV from 15fps to 30fps. It's not perfect, it has that "AI smoothing" look to it, but it looks better than what Square-Enix did to clean it for modern systems (i.e. Nothing).

Non-Modded FFIX

Modded FFIX

I'm not going to play FFIX right now because I'm still busy with Persona 3, but I wanted to do a playthrough sometime later this year. So this will be a nice way to play it unless SE comes through with an actual FFIX Remaster.
©@©™

Svejk

« Reply #39113 on: February 04, 2023, 02:35:45 PM »
Metro: Exodus - Did more of the actual first open hub.  As of now, I'm having a bit of a love/hate relationship with it.  It feels like too much of a departure from the claustrophobic feel of the prior two, which sucks.  Just has different vibe.  It makes it frustrating too, since it's so open, you'd think they'd have a more streamlined save game system... but it doesn't.  It still just has an auto-save that triggers at what seems to be key points.  It's weird.   At the same time, it doing that makes it feel like the path you choose, is the narrative.  Sounds weird, but it's kind of hard to describe.  Infiltrating small camps of sorts, feels intense and on edge stealth-wise.. Enemy AI is also total hit or miss.  It hits in terms of realism.. they can spot you relatively easy (in the light), but they can spot you through sheets of metal obstacles which you'd think is a cover area... It's weird also.  I'm still trying to come to grips with how the control scheme was revised... Can't say I like it. Trying to remember all differences between the press and long press options on the d-pad and the swapping of weapons.. it almost makes me want a weapon/item wheel instead, as overdone as that's been in other game nowadays.  Just pulling up your backpack to craft stuff, is almost as tedious as RDR2's controls... It really shouldn't be that complicated.

Overall, it's still some well polished slav-jank.  It still has that charm of the first 2 littered here and there... RTX looks great and even the normal difficulty poses a challenge as many enemy types can one hit you.  And there's no tagging or "sensing", so you have to trust on your visuals and hearing.  That being said, the PS5 upgrade with 3D audio just adds to the immersion and is essential imo.  The first hub is just the right size of not feeling too big and spread thin of triggering the open world fatigue. 

Bebpo

« Reply #39114 on: February 04, 2023, 06:46:01 PM »
At ch.4 in Dead Space Remake and I'm going to shit on Dead Space more.

Stuff I fault the original (and I was a DS fan back in the day):

-Level design is the most uninteresting boring as fuck levels. Game is basically a hallway simulator with some open arenas. The Ishimura may be a realistic mining ship, but a rusty old mining ship is a boring as fuck environment to make an entire game out of. At least with games set on cruise ships there are different areas to give some fancy fun locales.

-The characters suck. Isaac is the most bland boring white guy MC ever.

-Does the game even have music? Great sound design, but music is nothing.

-Not enough enemy type variations and the enemies just aren't that fun to fight outside shooting limbs off with the plasma cutter on the basic guys.

-Game has the WORST FOV I've ever seen. Can't see shit with Isaac taking up like 1/3rd the entire screen when not aiming. Not sure if the remake has a more narrow FOV than the original or if it's always been like this.

-I kind of hate the economy so far. There's so many upgrades and I feel like I have jack shit for money. Also the weapon upgrade trees are such minimal upgrades it takes a while to notice any difference.

Stuff that I blame the new remake for:

-The art direction is bad. The tech may be 10x better in detailed environments, but the game still looks really ugly to me. The art direction is basically...Doom 3. It feels like I'm running around Doom 3 environments in 4k. It's just a butt ugly bland looking ship. The only graphically impressive parts I like are the zero gravity bits with debris floating around and a few bits of colored lighting from engines and stuff. Oh the volumetric fog is cool too. But the environments are so bland. Though I think some of this might be that they are putting a graphical facelift on geometry basic PS3 era simple 3d level rooms. I think they should've gone further and re-designed the level layouts to have more complexity to improve on this.

-The tankier enemies are stupid. Just less fun and makes the slowness of changing weapons feel really noticeable when you run out of ammo mid-battle and have to switch. Like shooting an exploder guy and then the little crawlies run out you barely have time to switch to flamethrower to torch them before they jump on you because the weapon switch is so freaking slow.

I also don't understand why the game has load times when you die being it's a PS5 game.

I hope Motive makes a Dead Space 4 next instead of remaking DS2. Some of this stuff would be improved if they didn't have to stick to the source material so much.

Himu

« Reply #39115 on: February 04, 2023, 07:49:24 PM »
Told you it always had been mid. :doge
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #39116 on: February 05, 2023, 12:14:44 AM »
Agreed, I never understood all the praise that the original Dead Space got. It was just okay.

Himu

« Reply #39117 on: February 05, 2023, 12:51:45 AM »
Agreed, I never understood all the praise that the original Dead Space got. It was just okay.

Graphics and a horror game with non-tank controls.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #39118 on: February 05, 2023, 01:42:53 AM »
Dragon Quest XI S for Xbox. I tried out the demo and I was shocked I liked it. It fixed so many problems I had with the original game, namely the lack of battle speed options (in DQ?!?!), the fact you couldn't use the forge anywhere like you could with the Alchemy Pot in DQVIII re-releases and DQIX (DQ going backwards?!). DQXI S has so many battle speed options. It feels like a proper Dragon Quest. You can now use the forge at any time. I've turned the Voice Acting off to mute to play the game how it was originally made and I'm enjoying it soooooo much more not having to deal with stupid voices. It feels like classic  Dragon Quest! It's such an enjoyable experience with the feel good mood DQ is supposed to have! I still have issues with some certain things (MC death isn't permanent after battle, there's less choices, maps are too small, too many save points on world map therefore making the game have few if any consequences, autosave constantly (lack of consequences), and a general over hand holding nature (for example you cannot experiment and create your own recipes with the forge the same way you could with the alchemy pot, you're forced to strict recipes) but other than that it's solid DQ. I played this fucking game all day despite the beautiful weather like a complete and utter loser because for the first time in a while I could sit and enjoy an RPG world. It feels so good to be able to just read an RPG rather than have voices yapping in my ear. The experience is so much enjoyable for that alone. I just got Sylvando and I'm almost where I was originally at before I quit the original game.

Also, 2D mode is sick!

One thing I'll compliment the game is that despite the many concessions it has made in making DQ easier, the amount of choices regarding spending money is still classic DQ. Figuring out what to spend on and why is such a crucial part of the DQ experience and problem solving that I'm so glad it's still there. Dragon Quest always feels like home. When all these other jrpgs want to go right, DQ is sitting here eating a Slime Sandwich and asking you if you want seconds. Barely any modern shit at all besides the gameplay concessions and I'm glad to finally be able to appreciate this game as it was the first DQ I have ever dropped.

Alien: Isolation I think I'm almost halfway through this but the entire medical bay section was exquisite. This game just keeps ramping up and ramping up consistently. It's great. One problem I have is the main character. Ripley adds almost nothing to the story. In fact, the story is pretty weak so far. She could be a Johnson or Smith and not a Ripley and still wouldn't impact the story much. Her voice acting also adds nothing to the game of course. "Shit!" Seems to be all she can say. Voice acting may have been one of the most overused and overrated things added to certain game genres - namely RPGs and First Person games. Often a mute main should suffice.

Doom is on the back burner until I beat Alien: Isolation.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 09:29:51 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

thetylerrob

« Reply #39119 on: February 05, 2023, 04:41:35 AM »
Tonight I fired up RE4 on the Steam Deck because it’s been awhile and the remake is coming. I’m still up at 3:30 AM because I got addicted to Mercenaries mode and I’m working on getting 5 star ranks for every character.

Best game ever bros.