Author Topic: Exercise/lifting tips?  (Read 26437 times)

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
Re: Exercise/lifting tips?
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2009, 11:29:31 PM »
The gym here has become crowded as hell since the pool opened. I guess everyone realized mid-June that they need to work out so that they can lay around in style.

Beezy

« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2009, 12:06:32 AM »
There's no pull up bar in my house or school gym. I don't know what to do. :'(

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2009, 06:23:05 AM »
well, if you do it hard enough, MAYBE. but basically it's a total waste of time. just eat less calories and save yourself the effort.

Speaking of which. What kind of food do i need to eat? and how much?

To gain weight or lose it or just to maintain and eat healthily? 
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2009, 06:24:30 AM »
There's no pull up bar in my house or school gym. I don't know what to do. :'(

Look for a park nearby which has one.
vjj

Veidt

« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2009, 07:08:12 AM »
well, if you do it hard enough, MAYBE. but basically it's a total waste of time. just eat less calories and save yourself the effort.

Speaking of which. What kind of food do i need to eat? and how much?

I'm not really fat. But I do need abs. lol

To gain weight or lose it or just to maintain and eat healthily? 

Veidt

« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2009, 07:08:44 AM »

I need abs.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2009, 08:24:22 AM »
Do you already have the muscles, and are just a bit fat, or are you skinny but have no muscles? Or somewhere in between
vjj

Veidt

« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2009, 12:14:43 PM »
Do you already have the muscles, and are just a bit fat, or are you skinny but have no muscles? Or somewhere in between

Skinny, no abs. And no muscles.

Himu

« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2009, 01:14:01 PM »
Holy crap, those squats from yesterday REALLY came back today. Damn I'm sore. I bend down to pick something up, instant tightness in my legs and butt.

This is crazy. Situps, push ups, jogging...that definitely made me feel sore the day I did them sometimes and definitely the day after, but this...

I'm considering going on an hour jog tonight after my dad and I hang out.

Like they say, no pain no gain, right?

I tried stretching a bit and my legs definitely feel better if I'm standing.

The funny thing is that even if I'm sore, it's not like a "GOD THIS HURTS!" sore either. It's more like,"I put my body to the test and this feels GOOD." Do I just like pain? I knew I was masochistic from the games I like.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 01:16:58 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2009, 01:29:00 PM »

2 swimming work outs per week.  One 30 minute swim with sprinting and one long 45 minute swim.
2 high intensity resistance workouts and a couple of cross fit workouts.  I'm looking to get into kettle-ball training.

what exactly is a high intensity resistance workout?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2009, 04:21:16 PM »
I want to add muscle mass to my body but I'm not sure what to eat since I'm on diet (well, not so much a diet, but a change in eating habits to help me lose weight.)

On work days I'm doing jogging, sit ups, push ups, jumping jacks, and (now) tabata squats. That's a  good work out all around right? That hits every part of my body to increase muscle?

But what do I eat so I can lose weight AND gain muscle?

My average daily intake:

breakfast:

orange juice or milk
with light yogurt or a fruit (banana, apple)

lunch:

salad or chicken sandwich or turkey sandwich

snack, mid day:

fruit or veggie

dinner:

depends but I try to keep it healthy

I don't count carbs or calories but I guess I should start now, eh?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 04:32:32 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

duckman2000

« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2009, 04:22:43 PM »
Fish. Add flax seed to your yogurt.

Himu

« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2009, 04:23:48 PM »
Never been a big fish eater, but I guess I could start.
IYKYK

duckman2000

« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2009, 04:24:38 PM »
Never been a big fish eater, but I guess I could start.

Start with something mild, like tilapia or catfish, and stick with oven baking it. If you go straight for stronger fish, like sockeye or similar, you will probably have trouble getting into it.

Himu

« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2009, 04:27:13 PM »
I hate catfish. It's the reason I hate fish because it's the only fish black people seem to eat. Especially how my fellow darkies cook it in the south (fried).  :yuck

What's flax seed?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 04:29:05 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

duckman2000

« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2009, 04:55:36 PM »
Typical catfish doesn't have much flavor at all, so depending on spice and method of preparation, it's basically flaky chicken. It's the easiest fish around to cook with, that's why I'm recommending it.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2009, 07:43:24 PM »
Vegetable oil (olive oil being the most common) and seeds are the healthiest ways of getting more fat, which is where your calories should mostly be coming from. Carbs should be from non-starchy vegetables and fruit as much as possible. Cut down on carbs from white sources like potatoes, pasta and bread as much as you can. It's hard to do in a society that relies on starchy carbs to fill out every meal but is it harder than tabata squats? You decide. IMHO, if you can do one, you can do the other. Try to get some protein in every meal - eggs for breakfast, chicken for lunch, steak or fish for dinner. Don't go overboard at any one meal. You won't feel the need for so much bread etc if you get adequate protein, and you won't get sick of it if you keep to moderate amounts at each meal (a piece of meat/tofu/portion of eggs etc the size of your palm).

Ditch the OJ - think of it as pouring sugar down your throat. Nutritionally, that's basically what you're doing. Sure, it tastes good but the return on that investment of calories is incredibly poor.

veidt - sounds like you need to start lifting heavy and eating more. Squats and deadlifts will do more for your core than crunches and such. Try some of the Crossfit workouts.
vjj

cool breeze

« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2009, 07:51:09 PM »
I hate catfish. It's the reason I hate fish because it's the only fish black people seem to eat. Especially how my fellow darkies cook it in the south (fried).  :yuck

What's flax seed?

I'm not a fan of fish either.  The only two I eat semi-regularly are tuna (mostly fresh, sometimes canned) and flounder.  Don't know the health benefits are better than Salmon, but unless there is a way to make salmon without it tasting like salmon, I wouldn't like it.

Himu

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2009, 08:58:49 PM »
So in regards to eating chicken for lunch, does it matter what kind? It'd be best baked, correct? But what if I want to go to Wendy's and get a Spicy Chicken Go Wrap and a salad?

What about the steak? Shouldn't I cut down on eating red meat?

It doesn't matter how I cook the eggs, right? I prefer going for scrambled.

I drink the OJ for calcium since I hate white milk unless it's being eaten with cereal.

What's flax seed?

I'm not a fan of fish either.  The only two I eat semi-regularly are tuna (mostly fresh, sometimes canned) and flounder.  Don't know the health benefits are better than Salmon, but unless there is a way to make salmon without it tasting like salmon, I wouldn't like it.

I love tuna. I'm not big on fish but I love other assortments of seafood...octopus, squid, shark...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 09:02:36 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

pollo

« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2009, 09:24:22 PM »
Tuna is probably the best fish you could eat. The thing is just pure muscle and great protein.

Try Kingfish or Bluefish if you can afford it. Fillet it and Fry. That shit is good.

duckman2000

« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2009, 09:30:14 PM »
Tuna is probably the best fish you could eat. The thing is just pure muscle and great protein.

Try Kingfish or Bluefish if you can afford it. Fillet it and Fry. That shit is good.

Eh, it's also ridiculously high in mercury. It's good fish, but I wouldn't want to base a diet around it. Any predatory ocean fish is going to have this problem, so eat it in moderation.

If you like tuna, chances are you will like other ocean fish, such as swordfish and mahi-mahi (very mild).

Strips of salmon marinated in mango-ginger is the least salmon-tasting fish I've ever had.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 09:33:00 PM by duckman2000 »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2009, 09:48:42 PM »
Omega 3 fatty acids are highly neglected. Basically everything Duckman said about it. I was personally taking Fish tablets for a while but flax seeds seem good too.
:9

Beezy

« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2009, 10:03:33 PM »
This is one of the few types of fish that I like.

cool breeze

« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2009, 10:30:55 PM »
I have flax seed a couple times a week.  Normally I just grind it up into a meal and use it instead of breadcrumbs, but it's also good in yogurt and things like that.

Strips of salmon marinated in mango-ginger is the least salmon-tasting fish I've ever had.

yeah, I need to try reducing the salmon flavor if I have it again.  And like himuro, I like other kinds of seafood.  It's just the really fishy tasting fish that I dislike.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2009, 10:31:44 PM »
Himu -
I'm can't have a serious conversation about the relative health benefits of Wendy's menu choices, sorry :lol

Eat it if you must (I had a triple whopper meal and 2 pints of Guiness for breakfast on Saturday, I'm no fucking saint! And dinner made that look like dry crackers and water) but you have to regard anything like that as a cheat meal, not part of a planned diet (in the broader sense of 'diet', not just the weight-loss 'diet' that Oprah talks about). Fast-food salads are hopeless. Lettuce is a meaningless food. It's 99% water, practically no nutritional value. Basically, you're just spooning down the dressing. If the dressing was made from olive oil, balsamic vinegar and some salt & pepper...awesome. but it's not. Broccoli, spinach, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, onions...these are what your salads should be primarily composed of.

Unless you are lactose-intolerant, milk is a far far better choice than OJ. Plain natural yoghurt is even better. Full fat is far better than low fat. If you can't handle dairy and you really really need calciuim - eat some crushed up egg shells! Seriously, you don't need to intake that much. The sugar from the OJ is a far greater health risk (diabetes etc) than any benefit you get from the calcium.

Chicken - baked is best. No matter how you cook it, delicious as the skin is, you should really toss it. Not because of the fat content per se; it's just going to do horrible things to your cholesterol (which is a very complicated discussion but it boils down to: fat from plants - like olive oil and nuts - good; animal fats like chicken skin, bacon - bad. Eat in moderation).
Avoid deep-fried & breadcrumbed foods wherever possible. If you cook at all, you know what goes into the batter. The meat part is good but everything else is horrible.

If you start eating for performance rather than pleasure, you should try to grasp the concept of eating 'clean' - non-processed food. If it comes in a can or a ziplock bag - forget it. If it has a list of ingredients longer than 5 or 6 things, forget it. If it has stuff on the list of ingredients that you can't spell - forget it. Buy raw veggies, protein and fats and learn to combine them in delicious ways. (i.e. learn to cook!).
vjj

Veidt

« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2009, 10:32:07 PM »
, that's basically what you're doing. Sure, it tastes good but the return on that investment of calories is incredibly poor.

veidt - sounds like you need to start lifting heavy and eating more. Squats and deadlifts will do more for your core than crunches and such. Try some of the Crossfit workouts.

Sweet. Thanks. I'll start tommorow morning. And keep you upto date.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2009, 10:39:17 PM »
, that's basically what you're doing. Sure, it tastes good but the return on that investment of calories is incredibly poor.

Sweet. Thanks. I'll start tommorow morning. And keep you upto date.

You know how to lift already, I hope? If not, find someone who knows their way around a barbell (tip: gym meatheads loooove to show off so it shouldn't be hard to find someone willing to show you the basics of form).

You may find it easier to just get bigger first and not worry about putting on some fat along with the muscle. You can adjust your diet later to get the BF% down. It's all easier once you have some muscle/conditioning in place and your metabolism is cranked.
vjj

Himu

« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2009, 10:48:53 PM »
I love you corma.
IYKYK

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2009, 12:12:25 AM »
I love you too Himu. No homo.

On the topic of your current routine, well, it's not as good as you hope. But it is a solid start. All those things are good, solid exercises and they'll all build strength and conditioning to a degree. What you have to bear in mind is that at some point, jogging (for example) stops having much of an effect on your strength or on your conditioning. At first, it's hard to run 1 or 2k at any speed. Just finishing it without walking might be really tough. Then it becomes easier. To keep making gains, you have to either increase the distance, or you increase the pace. If you reach the point where you can run your 3k at a speed you're happy with, it's time for you to take it out of your daily or weekly routine. All you're doing is burning some calories and wasting energy that could be better applied doing pull-ups, say. Keep doing it once in a while (even as little as once a month might be enough to maintain provided you are keeping busy with other stuff).

Everything is like this. Everything works for a while, nothing works forever. Once something becomes easy, it's time to shake things up and do something different and more challenging. The best fitness routine is no routine at all. Luckily, that's also the most fun routine.

So, as long as push-ups, jumping jacks and squats are providing you with a challenge, and you're continuing to make gains in how many you can do and how fast and how well you can do them, no need to change. But when you start to hit a plateau or reach diminishing returns, incorporate other stuff. This is ironically the best way to keep getting better at the original exercises, because other exercises will address weak spots that the original ones don't. It's somewhat counter-intuitive, but you can observe this happening. You'll get stuck on push-ups, then go work on pull-ups for a while. Totally different muscles involved. But when you go back to push-ups, you'll probably be stronger at them than you were before. Compound exercises that use multiple muscle groups have a system-wide effect. More testosterone is released that stimulates muscle growth all over the place.

btw, i once did a 16 min tabata session that used jumping jacks, push-ups, squats and sit-ups, in that order. It was one of the most devastating things ever. Give that a shot sometime. No rest between any of the exercises apart from the 10 sec breaks.
vjj

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2009, 12:12:34 AM »
My goal is to be able to run 1.5 miles before I graduate this year, and I'm going to want to be able to run 3 miles before I (if I can) join the Navy or Air Force.

You can't complete a 1.5 mile run?  :-\
MMA

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2009, 12:17:29 AM »
boogie, it just means you don't need  your horse to run his Islam-lovin' ass down
vjj

Rman

« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2009, 12:48:09 AM »

2 swimming work outs per week.  One 30 minute swim with sprinting and one long 45 minute swim.
2 high intensity resistance workouts and a couple of cross fit workouts.  I'm looking to get into kettle-ball training.

what exactly is a high intensity resistance workout?
Sorry for the late response, Himuro.  Resistance workout as in weight training.  I follow the Rippetoe model.  Low Reps and High Weight.  The workouts are quick, but I'm putting work in every rep because I'm not easily going through motions lifting light weight.  As per Rippetoe's recommendation, most of my weight lifting is using an Olympic bar bell, comprised of multi joint exercises--squats, deadlifts, bench presses, and power cleans make up the majority of my resistance workouts. 

I was intimidated at first with bar bell exercises, but I worked on my form, using an empty barbell, and added weight incrementally.  It may sound contradictory from what I said above, but having a good foundation on proper lifting form is a must.  You'll avoid injury and maximize gains.

I used to do 10 or more reps per set, but I got nowhere in terms of power and toning. 

As an aside, tabata's are brutal.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 01:01:41 AM by Rman »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2009, 01:22:37 AM »
I think I'm going to start some hill running or something. I get so bored with straight up jogging.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2009, 01:24:01 AM »
The sugar from the OJ is a far greater health risk (diabetes etc) than any benefit you get from the calcium.
That's a half-myth actually.

Type 2 diabetes is caused by producing more glucose than your system can handle.  The main source of glucose for humans is obviously from carbohydrates.  While raw sugar obviously can be broken down into glucose, it's nearly nothing compared to what you get from carbs.  Like you said, he should cut back on starchy foods but the only real threat from having too many sweets is tooth decay.

Himu

« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2009, 02:22:09 AM »
I'm out of shape boogie.

I can jog/power walk it but not completely run it right now and even then, when jog I have to stop and catch my breath every now and then.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 02:25:45 AM by Himuro »
IYKYK

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2009, 02:34:08 AM »
Ah, good point. I think the fructose in juice has to be converted to glucose by the liver first, so it may not cause an insulin spike. I thought it did but with anything nutrition-related, there is a ton of seemingly contradictory info out there. Still, I presume it enters the system at some point, and combined with starchy foods, can easily result in an excess of glycogen?

It's still a crazy amount of calories to ingest so quickly though. Eating oranges is fine, 'cause most people are simply incapable of eating more than a couple in a sitting (or a day). But you can drink 16-18 oranges' worth of juice in no time.  If you're doing it just to quench your thirst, stick to water. If you're doing it because you love the taste, eat raw oranges and get some fiber as well.
vjj

Himu

« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2009, 07:32:20 AM »
I only drink a cup of OJ a day.
IYKYK

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2009, 07:39:55 AM »
Well, if you like it, fine. I drink beer and wine so I can't talk. I pick on it mostly because it's something that I was taught all my life was "healthy" by advertising companies. A lot of people are still in denial about their beloved juice and sodas.

In general, if you want to know about diet and exercise, be prepared to hear a lot of stuff you don't want to hear ;) It's amazing to me how many people will gladly do horrible things in the way of exercise if they think it'll help them (like tabata squats) but will go postal if you suggest not eating french fries or drinking soda. Still, the first step is learning what's good and bad for you, then experimenting. It's tough to go cold turkey for most folks.
vjj

Himu

« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2009, 07:42:26 AM »
I always thought OJ was healthy.

So by saying my lovely OJ isn't healthy really just blows my fracking mind.

Whatever. I've stopped eating pork, I've stopped drinking soda aside from on rare occasions, I've stopped drinking booze, for the most part I've cast fast food to the side unless there's nothing to eat in the house and I'm desperate for some food...what's another to add to the list?

The idea of sacrifice to gain something is worth it in the end. It shows strength. You can't get anywhere without sacrifice.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 07:45:19 AM by Himuro »
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2009, 07:44:55 AM »
I was also surprised at that when I had first read it last year. Everything in moderation, as they say.

Himu

« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2009, 07:45:43 AM »
So do they say a glass of oj a day is bad?

What about other juices that they perpetuate as being "healthy"?
IYKYK

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2009, 08:53:58 AM »
Well, all of them are "unhealthy", if taken to excess. It's very easy to drink juice/soda to excess because we have to drink something to quench our thirst, no matter if we've already eaten 3 square meals that day or not.

Think of juice as just fruit without all the fiber. It's just sugary water. Most of the vitamins they purport to have are destroyed as soon as you leave the carton open for a while (if they're not already destroyed by the freezing and reconstitution process). It's also highly acidic, which is why TVC had that horrible episode with it I presume. The acid/alkali balance of your diet is really important to consider as well.

The way to kick the habit is switch to fresh-squeezed juice. The extra hassle of squeezing it will stop you from drinking too much, and it'll taste better anyway. A small glass every now and then will become a treat that you look forward to. It won't have any calcium but whatever. Get that from dairy. Water is all you really need to drink. Zero calories is better than a couple of hundred "empty" calories (i.e. calories with no or limited nutritional value).
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2009, 08:59:53 AM »
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/whats-wrong-with-juicing/

This site is fantastic. He occasionally says things that I've had reason to disagree with, but he does his homework and keeps an open mind.  One of my goals is to get my whole family eating along the lines he does. Which is tough with a vegetarian wife, but i'm working on it.
vjj

duckman2000

« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2009, 11:58:03 AM »
The idea of sacrifice to gain something is worth it in the end. It shows strength. You can't get anywhere without sacrifice.

On the other hand, too many sacrifices can make the whole thing seem completely unbalanced, and you might end up feeling like you've lost far too much for comparatively little gain. But to each their own.

Rman

« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2009, 01:30:52 PM »
MDA is an awesome site. 

duckman2000

« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2009, 01:39:20 PM »
The water only bit has been the most difficult for me, and I can't claim great success there. The way around it has been to toss fruit and berries into a blender with water and ice, and stick with smoothies in place of store bought fruit juices. Also makes it a bit more fun, and you can add and subtract special ingredients (such as flax seed) each time.

Rman

« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2009, 02:22:44 PM »
You can also try fruit flavored Poland Spring setzers.  No sugar, aspartame, or calories. 

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2009, 03:57:12 PM »
You can also try fruit flavored Poland Spring setzers.  No sugar, aspartame, or calories. 

???

:P
^_^

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2009, 07:32:17 PM »
The water only bit has been the most difficult for me, and I can't claim great success there. The way around it has been to toss fruit and berries into a blender with water and ice, and stick with smoothies in place of store bought fruit juices. Also makes it a bit more fun, and you can add and subtract special ingredients (such as flax seed) each time.

I use yoghurt - tastes better and the fat blunts the insulin spike from all the carbs from the fruit. Yoghurt is typically a very well-balanced meal all in itself (depending on the fat %).

Not that I care that much when it comes to smoothies - I usually only make them when mangoes are in season anyway. Anything goes.
vjj

Himu

« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2009, 10:58:22 PM »
I'm losing 2 pounds a day ever since I started this thread.
IYKYK

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2009, 12:01:47 AM »
You may not be serious, but if you are: If you lose more than 1-2lbs per WEEK, you're losing more than fat (water, mostly but also muscle mass). This is why crash diets followed by a return to overeating of bad food are so bad for you. If you want to lose fat while gaining muscle/strength, it's gonna have to be a slow process.

Today I'm gonna learn how to jump rope! I never learned as a kid and I figure i'm overdue.
vjj

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2009, 09:28:25 AM »
I went sprinting up a hill an hour ago. 3 sets of 25-30sec sprints up a slight to medium incline, 3 minute rest (my heart rate was still up there, I'm not a runner). I wanted to die after the third set but I'm wide awake and feel fantastic right now.

Himu

« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2009, 12:42:47 PM »
You may not be serious, but if you are: If you lose more than 1-2lbs per WEEK, you're losing more than fat (water, mostly but also muscle mass). This is why crash diets followed by a return to overeating of bad food are so bad for you. If you want to lose fat while gaining muscle/strength, it's gonna have to be a slow process.

Today I'm gonna learn how to jump rope! I never learned as a kid and I figure i'm overdue.

Last week I went to the doc.

They weighed me and I was weighing 203 pounds.

This was on Tuesday.

I weighed myself on Monday and I was weighing 195 pounds.

What the fuck.
IYKYK

pollo

« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2009, 01:45:20 PM »
pickin up my olympic bar+weights today. Got em for 125 off some guy from CL. 2 45s 2 35s 4 25s 4 10s 2 5s + a curl. Sweet deal.

Cyanista

• IGNORE ME
« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2009, 01:51:17 PM »
Fresh squeezed orange juice is quite healthy, if you have no big issues.  The problem with most orange juice you get in the store is that it has a ton of sugar added.
omg

Ellrick

« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2009, 01:59:49 PM »
If you are really serious about cutting weight, replace a meal with a high quality juice or no frills smoothy, and drink only water. For remaining meals eat only nuts, eggs, or lean meats.

This is my diet now because Ive developed crazy allergies, and it works so well I find myself working to keep weight on. Think I need to switch to heavier weights and lower reps.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2009, 02:29:36 PM »

Last week I went to the doc.

They weighed me and I was weighing 203 pounds.

This was on Tuesday.

I weighed myself on Monday and I was weighing 195 pounds.

What the fuck.

Well, I can't possibly explain it with this little info. Two data points isn't really enough, i'm afraid. You can lose a couple of pounds of nothing but water during a big workout.

You have to weigh yourself at the same time every day (before breakfast, say) to get a real grasp of what direction you're headed.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2009, 02:32:25 PM »
pickin up my olympic bar+weights today. Got em for 125 off some guy from CL. 2 45s 2 35s 4 25s 4 10s 2 5s + a curl. Sweet deal.

I should bookmark this to quote every time someone talks about how expensive gym memberships are. You just bought your own gym, one that should last you a lifetime (except you will need more weight at some point ;) ). Congrats!
vjj

Veidt

« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2009, 06:32:38 PM »
Corma, a few questions:
Best amount of push-ups?
How often?
or How long?

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2009, 06:43:54 PM »
You can have my morning glass of OJ when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.  :punch
MMA