Author Topic: Avatar movie trailer  (Read 18254 times)

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
Re: Avatar movie trailer
« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2009, 06:16:58 PM »
ILM, The Orphanage, Banned from the Ranch, WETA, etc. Are just some that are better than Digital Domain. Cameron fans just wank over his effects house. ILM made him. Look at the Abyss and T2, both of which were done by ILM.

Apparently WETA did some work on Avatar. So when you watch it and you see something that looks better than the rest of the movie, that's probably it.

CBG

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2009, 06:17:44 PM »
i don't understand the obsession with cameron. he's no better than spielberg, he just puts out less movies.

bubububu Titanic.
CBG

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2009, 06:20:53 PM »
If realism is what you want, didn't Digital Domain do Zodiac?  Not that I think laymen are equipped to evaluate effects studios based on a few data points that could be affected by all kinds of outside factors ...
QED

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #123 on: August 20, 2009, 06:24:39 PM »
I was under the impression that WETA did most of the effects. Didn't know they only did some stuff here n there

ManaByte

« Reply #124 on: August 20, 2009, 06:29:05 PM »
I was under the impression that WETA did most of the effects. Didn't know they only did some stuff here n there

No, it's Digital Domain since it's Cameron's baby. WETA just filled in the gaps. Basically part of the deal for Cameron to film down there using their stuff was that they could help out on the movie.
CBG

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2009, 06:33:31 PM »
Oh; interesting

can't wait to see what they're doing with the Hobbit

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2009, 07:58:30 PM »
that one shot of Zoe's character around 1:30 really doesn't look CG at all to me. Looks like a person in a lot of prosthetic and makeup. the shot of her at 1:35 looks really good as well.
nat

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2009, 08:31:28 PM »
An EB legend gives his 2 cents :rock
http://thefilmstage.com/2009/08/20/dreaming-with-your-eyes-open-the-truth-about-camerons-avatar/

"Apologies in advance for shaking the foundation."  :o
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 08:40:32 PM by Phoenix Dark »

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #128 on: August 20, 2009, 09:22:48 PM »
An EB legend gives his 2 cents :rock
http://thefilmstage.com/2009/08/20/dreaming-with-your-eyes-open-the-truth-about-camerons-avatar/

"Apologies in advance for shaking the foundation."  :o

Holy shit, I should've guessed he'd end up on that site. :lol
AMC

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #129 on: August 20, 2009, 09:27:38 PM »
Is there anything worse than the person who tries to invalidate everyone else's opinion by taking the enlightened, and condescending middle ground?

"Look, everyone is wrong, but my opinion is right because I'm not on either side of the spectrum!"
PSP

EvilBoris

« Reply #130 on: August 20, 2009, 09:28:39 PM »
 trahan can't even do devin faraci respectably

ManaByte

« Reply #131 on: August 20, 2009, 09:32:44 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Winds-Altair-Ben-Bova/dp/0812532279

1972 SciFi novel by Ben Bova.

Humans are trying to terraform a planet called Altair Pandora. They send military forces to Altair Pandora, but Humans cannot breath the air on Altair Pandora, but there are these cat Na'vi creatures there. So the military builds a system to transport the mind of a human into a cat Na'vi. One human discovers that the cats Na'vi are intelligent and takes their side and fights off the rest of the humans.

James Cameron is a fucking hack.
CBG

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2009, 09:34:59 PM »
Wow, if true. :lol
PSP

ManaByte

CBG

Powerslave

« Reply #134 on: August 20, 2009, 09:44:10 PM »
lol videogame cgi. Shitmovie confirmed. And here I thought it was a normal movie with ultra-realistic cgi.

SantaC

« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2009, 10:01:07 PM »
It looks like shit

Powerslave

« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2009, 10:03:35 PM »
It looks like shit

qft
I just took a shit and indeed, it looked like Avatar.

SantaC

« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2009, 10:06:56 PM »
It looks like shit

qft

So I read that Cameron has worked 10 years on this, then I really feel bad for him.

ManaByte

« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2009, 10:08:50 PM »
It looks like shit

qft

So I read that Cameron has worked 10 years on this, then I really feel bad for him.

More than 10 years. His first "scriptment" was 1995 and he came up with the idea (i.e. read Winds of Altair) around the time he was working on T2.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #139 on: August 20, 2009, 10:38:16 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terminator#Production

Director James Cameron has said that The Terminator was inspired by two episodes of the 1960s television science fiction series The Outer Limits – "Soldier" and "Demon with the Glass Hand" – both written by science fiction author Harlan Ellison.[3] When Ellison threatened a lawsuit, Terminator production company Hemdale Film Corporation and distributor Orion Pictures gave him an "acknowledgement to the works of" credit on video and cable releases of The Terminator, as well as a cash settlement of an undisclosed amount.[4]

So this isn't the first time Cameron has ripped off someone.
CBG

Powerslave

« Reply #140 on: August 20, 2009, 10:42:15 PM »
It looks like shit

qft

lmao I can't believe it's Cameron doing this.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #141 on: August 20, 2009, 10:42:27 PM »
looks good to me, although plot-wise it seems to be hitting all the predictable notes. i'm betting the terraforming process will kill the avatars, assuming they can't breathe earth air.
vjj

Beezy

« Reply #142 on: August 20, 2009, 10:43:05 PM »
The CG could be much better, but the movie still looks like it's worth seeing, imo.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #143 on: August 21, 2009, 12:00:17 AM »
To add to the dogpile, yeah, the CGI is completely underwhelmning.  Great if it was an animated movie, but for something that is supposed to blend live action and CGI, umm, wtf?

Maybe it will be an amazing epic story, but the imagery is definitely "meh".  And I'm not surprised that I'm not the only one who got Matrix vibes from those walking mech suits.
MMA

border

« Reply #144 on: August 21, 2009, 01:07:26 AM »

Director James Cameron has said that The Terminator was inspired by two episodes of the 1960s television science fiction series The Outer Limits – "Soldier" and "Demon with the Glass Hand" – both written by science fiction author Harlan Ellison.[3] When Ellison threatened a lawsuit, Terminator production company Hemdale Film Corporation and distributor Orion Pictures gave him an "acknowledgement to the works of" credit on video and cable releases of The Terminator, as well as a cash settlement of an undisclosed amount.[4]

Isn't Harlan Ellison pretty notoriously crotchety and litigious?  Looking at the Wikipedia pages, the only connection is soldiers traveling through time.

Even his own Wikipedia page makes note of it:

Ellison is also well known for being litigious; his numerous grievance filings and lawsuit attempts have been characterized as both justifiable and possibly frivolous. These traits have attracted some controversy, especially among science fiction and fantasy fans. His friend Isaac Asimov noted that, "Harlan uses his gifts for colorful and variegated invective on those who irritate him — intrusive fans, obdurate editors, callous publishers, offensive strangers."
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 01:09:26 AM by border »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: August 21, 2009, 01:19:05 AM »

It's hard to say for sure if he did or didn't rip off Harlan Ellison, but reading the synopses for those two episodes makes it seems like they only have a passing similarity at best. Soldier is about two soldier in the future that get tossed back through time, eventually facing each other in combat. And Demon with the Glass Hand is about a guy that has a robot arm with several fingers missing and he has to find the other fingers so a computer can tell he what he needs to do, which is basically to save the world from aliens in the future. At the end, he finds out that he's really a robot.

Isn't Harlan Ellison pretty notoriously crotchety and litigious?

Yes.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 01:27:03 AM by Great Rumbler »
dog

border

« Reply #146 on: August 21, 2009, 01:38:04 AM »
To be fair, I love Harlan Ellison.  I've never actually read his works, but I've seen him at DragonCon several times and he's the most hilarious and endearing crotchety old grandpa that ever existed.  He's been there and seen it all.....has tons of stories about working in old Hollywood.  One time he told a story about beating up one of Frank Sinatra's goons.  He'll rant about pretty much anything, and insult perfect strangers with the most venomous vulgar language.  Nobody in his Q&A sessions ever dared to bring up the more controversial and contested stories like his feud with the original Star Trek producers over scripts he wrote.  I'd love to hear him go off about it though.

His Wikipedia page mentions that he has sued basically anyone and everyone that has ever put his work online -- and has the following awesome quote from him: Quoted by the New York Times on May 10, 2009, he said "If you put your hand in my pocket, you’ll drag back six inches of bloody stump."

I'd love to see him again, but DragonCon hasn't booked him since like 2005 and his website hasn't really been updated in like half a decade.  It seems hard to tell if he even does public appearances anymore.  I hope he's not in failing health.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 01:39:55 AM by border »

ch1nchilla

« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2009, 01:48:39 AM »
I saw it and was legitimately excited for it, despite the shitty plot. AND I thought it looked cool.

???

border

« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2009, 01:58:18 AM »
I found a YouTube video on the Terminator/Ellison connection, featuring a decent video interview with the author himself.  He's not as hilarious and bombastic as he usually is but it's still good.  I doubt his court case would have really held up because Terminator is not that similar to Ellison's stories, but apparently Cameron admitted to Starlog magazine that that is where he took inspiration.....so obviously that gave them quite a bit of leverage.  He claims he got $65-75K on the deal, which seems more than fair really.

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: August 21, 2009, 02:00:03 AM »
I saw it and was legitimately excited for it, despite the shitty plot. AND I thought it looked cool.

???

Well, there's clearly something wrong with you then. Probably a brain tumor.
dog

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #150 on: August 21, 2009, 02:50:11 AM »
Looks way too blatantly CGI, I have to say I'm definitely a bit disappointed... I'm still counting on Cameron's storytelling to satisfy though.
^_^

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #151 on: August 21, 2009, 02:59:42 AM »
Is there anything worse than the person who tries to invalidate everyone else's opinion by taking the enlightened, and condescending middle ground?

"Look, everyone is wrong, but my opinion is right because I'm not on either side of the spectrum!"

Welcome to my world!

On an unrelated note, Manabyte's slagging off Cameron to protect Lucas' spot in the geek hierarchy, no?  I'm assuming this is like the GAF basketball threads where all the arguments are really about Jordan.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #152 on: August 21, 2009, 03:03:46 AM »
 :lol

I don't doubt that, but I have to side with the Coast to Coast AM regular on this one - ILM's work looks better than the groundbreaking, revolutionary Avatar stuff from the teaser.
PSP

ManaByte

« Reply #153 on: August 21, 2009, 03:17:42 AM »
Showed the trailer to a guy I work with and he asked "So it's a cartoon?" :rofl
CBG

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #154 on: August 21, 2009, 03:21:49 AM »

Welcome to my world!

On an unrelated note, Manabyte's slagging off Cameron to protect Lucas' spot in the geek hierarchy, no? 
I'm assuming this is like the GAF basketball threads where all the arguments are really about Jordan.

What? If anything everyone (well except Great Rumbler/fistfull) is laughing at the trailer, and now Manabyte is doing what he does best: digging up nerd shit, so we can laugh at the trailer even more

ILM/Weta win regardless of nerd affiliation

ManaByte

« Reply #155 on: August 21, 2009, 03:27:02 AM »
WETA's only big weak point is compositing. But that's almost always an entry level position and they have improved since Kong. As far as actual effects quality goes they are almost on ILMs level especially for an effects house that is so new.  WETA digital didn't even exist until Heavenly Creatures.
CBG

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #156 on: August 21, 2009, 03:31:01 AM »
Are they going to update any effects for the LOTR blu ray? I'd hate to see that Legalos vs Elephant scene in hd. Or the Moria scene in FOTR where the rocks break as Aragorn/Frodo jump off.  :-\

ManaByte

« Reply #157 on: August 21, 2009, 03:36:25 AM »
Not for the theatrical cuts.

But they are adding stuff for the EE sets that come out when Hobbit hits theaters.
CBG

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #158 on: August 21, 2009, 06:45:36 AM »

What? If anything everyone (well except Great Rumbler/fistfull) is laughing at the trailer, and now Manabyte is doing what he does best: digging up nerd shit, so we can laugh at the trailer even more

considering what forum i'm on, I don't really take any of the opinions here seriously. it's like the polar opposite of Gaf. Here the hate and hyperbole surrounding some of the effects is laughable. On Gaf people are saying the entire thing is amazing looking which is equally laughable.

Like aways, no one seems to be able to find the middle ground. Some of the effects look below average, but most of the scenery shots (floating mountains, the jungle) and any of the shots of Zoe's character looks pretty amazing and on par with some of the best CG I've ever seen.
nat

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #159 on: August 21, 2009, 10:00:30 AM »
Like aways, no one seems to be able to find the middle ground. Some of the effects look below average, but most of the scenery shots (floating mountains, the jungle) and any of the shots of Zoe's character looks pretty amazing and on par with some of the best CG I've ever seen.

literally dozens of people have said this on GAF

Barry Egan

« Reply #160 on: August 21, 2009, 10:56:24 AM »
yes

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #161 on: August 21, 2009, 11:46:29 AM »
Even I said the scenery looks great, but the aliens look like a cartoon.
PSP

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #162 on: August 21, 2009, 12:02:21 PM »
Even I said the scenery looks great, but the aliens look like a cartoon.

You're a cartoon.   :maf
:)

Barry Egan

« Reply #163 on: August 21, 2009, 12:06:39 PM »
owned

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #164 on: August 21, 2009, 12:08:32 PM »
Butthurt fans still butthurt.

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW TAUNTAUN
PSP

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #165 on: August 21, 2009, 12:10:21 PM »
 :spitzer
:)

Powerslave

« Reply #166 on: August 21, 2009, 12:22:36 PM »
I can't believe he took a cartoony road for the characters instead of a realistic one. What the FUCK was he thinking?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #167 on: August 21, 2009, 12:31:18 PM »
I can't believe he took a cartoony road for the characters instead of a realistic one. What the FUCK was he thinking?

What do you think blue aliens with huge eyes and tiger stripes look like? I mean, dude, come on.
dog

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #168 on: August 21, 2009, 12:32:32 PM »
Uh, like aliens and not like characters rendered for a videogame?
PSP

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #169 on: August 21, 2009, 12:36:44 PM »
Uh, like aliens and not like characters rendered for a videogame?

I don't understand the question...?
dog

Powerslave

« Reply #170 on: August 21, 2009, 12:38:26 PM »
Alien from Alien wasn't a cartoon.

Fuck, he should have just used puppets and stuff, looks better than cgi anyway.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #171 on: August 21, 2009, 12:39:28 PM »
i think he's trying to say that they don't look gritty and hardcore like we're used to. they look like something out of a fantasy movie.

which this is.
nat

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #172 on: August 21, 2009, 12:45:24 PM »
No, they look like cartoons.  As in never believable as real corporeal beings.

That's a mixture of shoddy art design and mediocre CG.
PSP

Barry Egan

« Reply #173 on: August 21, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »
but maybe irl aliens would look like cartoons!  You don't know because you haven't seen any!  :-\

Powerslave

« Reply #174 on: August 21, 2009, 01:04:31 PM »
Cameron sold out.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #175 on: August 21, 2009, 01:07:40 PM »
The blue furry aliens ruin everything. Why did he use furries instead of lizardmen? smh

Haters gonna hate.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 01:32:48 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #176 on: August 21, 2009, 01:15:44 PM »
but maybe irl aliens would look like cartoons!  You don't know because you haven't seen any!  :-\

This is poppycock. You can make fantastic looking aliens without them being cartoonish.
PSP

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #177 on: August 21, 2009, 01:26:31 PM »

I've never seen a pirate with tentacles coming out of his face, but ILM sure made one look believable.

Barry Egan

« Reply #178 on: August 21, 2009, 01:30:20 PM »
I was being sarcastic.  But I understand the confusion considering how many times that arguments been seriously made!

Powerslave

« Reply #179 on: August 21, 2009, 01:31:51 PM »
The blue furry aliens ruin everything. Why did he use furries instead of lizardmen? smh

Hates gonna hate.

Haters.