Author Topic: Avatar movie trailer  (Read 18256 times)

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
Re: Avatar movie trailer
« Reply #180 on: August 21, 2009, 02:21:16 PM »
The blue furry aliens ruin everything. Why did he use furries instead of lizardmen? smh

:shh

Cameron am furry.
:)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2009, 02:23:28 PM »

Positive
Quote from: julls
ok, home now.

honestly, until you've seen the visuals 'for real', the trailer just doesn't suffice. in the teaser it's pretty impressive but not mindblowingly awesome.

watch the 15 minute 3d preview (snippets from the film) and your mind will be changed instantly, i promise you. we walked in to a message from james cameron on the screen for half an hour 'are you ready to go to pandora?' or some shit and i'm like 'whatever!" - the clips start, 15 minutes later i'm staring at my mate like 'what the FUCK was that!'.

the CG is amazing. astounding, so life-like that we shot looks at eachother during it like 'are you serious?'. the teaser trailer barely does it justice. sigourney weaver's 'navii' equivalent shared her mannerisms, her facial structure, her quirks, everything. i kept getting nudges from him like 'are you seeing this shit?!' i kept looking at the main guy like 'this is sam worthington in a suit' but it wasn't. he's not real, none of the environments are real but it feels like they are. in one of the featured scenes there's a real life and atmosphere to the environment that takes your breath away. like the opening scene of nausicaa gone nuts.

maybe i'm easier to please, whatever. this shit made me a believer. my mate said tonight, 'it felt like being in a video game'. it sounds like (and will probably be written off as) hyperbole, but in terms of immersive cinema, i've never experienced anything like it. take from that what you will. above all, it's fun. the action scenes they showed us were completely intense, LOUD and fast-paced, just how i love james cameron's stuff.

we're already planning to get the media tickets to first showing then buy tickets to a second one to get completely fucked up and watch it blazed

also - i completely disagree with duckroll, while the first 'real life' scene in the preview was a bit jarring in terms of adjusting your eyes etc, the depth and realism given to later scenes by the 3d was incredible. i refuse to see this film in full first time in anything other than 3d.

like it matters, but heaps of people clapped at the end, including the guy next to me who said to his gf 'i have no idea what this is' before it started and obviously had just got an email from the publicist to attend.

can't wait.

Negative
Quote from: Duckroll
I'm back from AVATAR DAY. I don't think I'll post any details about the footage at all, since it's pointless to discuss any story element when it's just a few random scenes out of context from the movie. Here's how I felt about the quality of the footage though:

- CG is -really- good on the big screen. The models are really detailed, and the animations are great.

- Unfortunately the action scenes look even more like a videogame than in the trailer. It definitely feels like an animated feature or Blizzard FMVs. Clashes with the live action footage quite a bit imo.

- 3D is a gimmick. In fact, I'm almost convinced that I should just watch Avatar in Digital 2D when it's released in December. I don't think I actually enjoy watching 3D features for long, because it feels really gimmicky with the extra perspective, especially with some of the foreground effects that Cameron is using for outdoor scenes. It looks pretty, sure, but it's distracting as hell imo.

- Cameron definitely still has it as a director, the sequences are fantastically composited and directed. Everything feels engaging and alive, and it should be a solid action adventure movie.

Some other notes:

- Turns out the Real-D cinema has been converted into a Dolby 3D one, duckroll loses again. Shitty 3D cinemas in Singapore will probably ensure that I won't catch Avatar in 3D at all, unless I decide to take a vacation in December. :/

- They couldn't fill all the seats for the first screening (I went for the second screening, but had tickets for both) here, and actually started giving out left over tickets to people around the cineplex area. It was pretty sad seeing that. Cameron's hype has failed here.

- No one clapped at the end, no one seemed particularly impressed, and the impression I got while leaving the screening was that the majority of people didn't really feel wowed by the preview. Personally I think it's a dumb idea in retrospect. I just saw a handful of random but complete scenes out of context in the movie, and while it's pretty impressive technically, it's not really enough to care for what I'm seeing at all.

Quote from: Won
Just came back from the preview. Very interesting experience. A few things:

- The 3D: I never watched a 3D movie before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. The whole thing goes from "Holyshitwhoa!" to "Can't see shit!" and back. Some of the still shots looks amazing. The first scene with the soldiers sitting at the tables looked pretty damn cool. So did some of the forest scenes.
That said, the action looked horrible. The whole 3D thing was way too fuzzy in the cinema I watched the thing. Maybe we don't have the right glasses, maybe 3D just sucks for action, I don't know, but it didn't sell the whole 3D thing to me.

- The CG: Thanks to the 3D, the CG actually seems to work. The quality of scenes never was good enough to say "that looks fake!"
Also the first reaction from the woman next to me after seeing the navi was a short "Uagh".

Btw the "flower" shot that gets posted here over and over looks damn amazing in 3D.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 02:33:14 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2009, 08:21:49 PM »
More impressions:

Quote from: FirewalkR
I just came back from the Avatar Day screening, and both me and my friend who had heard little about the movie (but seen the trailer) came out basically speechless.

The trailer has got NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING on what I've seen. In fact, Duckroll, where are you? C'mere. I have no idea how you think 3D is a gimmick after having seen this. I noticed you saw it in Dolby3D but still I can't believe the difference to RealD is that great. It was mindblowing, for me the 3D just brings everything to life. Even the weakest scene in the trailer, used oh so hilariously as a crappy demotivational poster by Tonay looked much better, but the best scenes were unbelievable. In the scene when both Jake and Grace's Avatars
spoiler (click to show/hide)
are in the jungle before he gets attacked, they look incredible, the motion of the face muscles is practically real and they really resemble the actors
[close]
The environments are always amazing although
in one of the night scenes, when Jake looks around the plants felt a bit artificial
[close]
. I also noticed a bit of lack of sync in Jake's speech right when he
wakes up in the Avatar body. Heh dunno why I marked this as a spoiler really but...
[close]
. Most scenes are better than anything else I've seen before, and some like the "taming/bonding" scene... I guess you *know* it's not real, and from time to time there's some movement that's not completely right, but it's as good as it gets these days.

I can't wait for the movie to come out in December, as far as I'm concerned Cameron has done it again and given his track record the full movie will just confirm it. I wish everyone could see some of these scenes in 3D, perhaps instead of more trailers Cameron/FOX could attach one different scene per month to other movies (in 3D theatres) so everyone could have the same experience I just had. In 2D theatres a trailer with more story exposition is in order.

If next year this doesn't win the FX Oscars (and whatever other FX awards there are) I'm gonna laugh, and then cry, entering a downward spiral of manic-depressive behaviour. Compared to what I saw, there's no Transformers, no Pirates, no Old Pitt, nothing.

Everyone that's doubting the movie, do yourselves a favour and go watch it when it comes out. AND WATCH IT IN 3D if you can. It's bound to be pure win.

Quote from: Bit-Bit
Just got back from the 15 minute preview. It is absolutely amazing. There really is no other word to describe the sensory overload that I just witness. I'm going to go into full detail as to what sold me on the world and creatures of Pandora.

First off, the 3d is just jaw dropping. Cameron layers everything beautifuly. I've made an effort to watch every 3d movie that has released. And let me say. AVATAR puts all of the others to shame. I'm going to list some of the scenes and how the 3d made it out of this world.

-When Sam Worthington's character is laying in the chamber to transfer into the AVATAR, theres a head shot of him as seen in the trailer. But in 3d, the sense you get from the top of Sam's head down to his feet is just amazing.

-All of the interface that  the scientists use. The screens are transparent but the video and images are in 3d. Cameron focus subtly on these screens a few time while going back the the scientist using them.

-When Sam is in the AVATAR for the first time. The two scientists who are wearing an air mask looks down at him. Two things about this scene. One is the masks have like a round layer of 3d that I have never seen before. Two is that when they show a bird eye view of Sam's AVATAR for the first time. You have no idea how lifelike he looks. It just made my jaw drop how real he is.

-The next scene is Sam encounter with a large beast for the first time. This beast looks like a giant rhino with the head of a hammerhead shark. The depth of it as it rears its head back and forth and kicks grass and dirt everywhere. Sam does some amazing stuff with his face that is just captured so lifelike. You also see Ripley's AVATAR for the first time. As soon as I saw her before she even spoke I knew that it was her.

-The scene where Zoe shows up, kills the dog like creatures and throws the fire into the creek. As soon as the fire goes out the world starts to glow. My eyes were overloaded by the amount of soft lights and purple, green, and blue colors. The one part in this scene that made me said "HOLY SHIT" is when Sam's AVATAR goes into the creek to retrieve the torch. When he reaches into the water and picks it up, it just looks so real. Like a real blue arm reached into a real creak that had soft, green, glowing sand.

-If you're not a believer of the lifelike cg by now, than the last scene will drive that message home for you. Sam's AVATAR and some of the other native AVATARS  are on up this cliff. The scene opens with them stand on a ledge under a waterfall. This is where your brain will melt. The waterfall looks like real water. The mist from the water fall floats on Zoe's and Sam's hair and the misty droplets are so real on them it's unbelievable.

-A thrilling flight scene ends the 15 minute preview.
[close]

Let me put it like this. When I was in there, my friend who is a 40 something year old black man and knows nothing about this movie. I just asked him to come with me since my best friend couldn't make it. He asked me before we watched the preview how long it was going to take. I told him 15 minutes. 15 minutes out of a two and a half hour movie. He says he hates 2 and a half hour movies. When the 15 minutes ended, before I can say a word. He instantly says, 2 and a half hour ain't gonna be enough.

Me and him both went out to the box office and bought our tickets for December 18 midnight showing.

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Quote from: Dabanton
I got to see it twice today one after another and while the trailer was nice seeing it in 3D was jaw dropping the biggest thing for me was the 'depth' of the scenes it just felt so alive,the scenes that were shown all stood out my favorite was one of the more stiller scenes where we could take in some of the planets atmosphere and the subtle details such as dust floating in the air it was amazing and pin sharp too.

My biggest problem with 3D films in the past was the blurry look  here the scenes popped with sharpness and detail the final scene we were shown was one of the best
the Na'vi go to capture a flying creature for Jake again subtle us of the 3D as the creatures come in to frame and move about and then once he has the beast under control they fly off
After that we have quick shots of some other parts of the film some we've sen in the trailer some we haven't including an awe inspiring shot where it looks like massive is collapsing on top of Jake and some other Na'vi 
[close]

And the preview got applause for both sittings and if you know UK crowds that's a special feat indeed.

I was also surprised at the audience who came to the showings i was expecting a geek audience but it was a big cross section in there a lot of older ladies as well.

Quote from: tidus9000
My experience: I wrote this mainly for my facebook friends to read, I didn't know much about Avatar going in, so you guys will probably hate me if i've got anything wrong xD. I've spoilered it all since I explain each scene and i know some may not want to know any of this.

I'd not heard much about Avatar before, only that it was supposed to revolutionize cinema as we know it and would use 3D techonology beyond anything done before. I have to say I was rather sceptical of this, I've always thought of 3D as a gimmick for which to see an orange fly at your face or a bunch of M&M's in space, not really adding to the immersion of the film itself. Now i can honestly say though, I've been proven wrong.
The preview started off with a short recording of James Cameron telling us how lucky we are to see this preview and that we were some of the first in the world to see this and he was curtious enough to let us know there were no major spoilers.
The actual preview started off showing the inside of a military base, a guy in a wheelchair is entering what looks like a dining room and tough looking army guy (you can tell he's tough cus he's got scars on his face! :O ) is briefing a bunch of people in this room about how some of them are goining to die on the planet below them (I guess we're already supposed to know they're in space?). It was this opening that really shows that the 3D is something special here, there were a set of tables and as they were all in shot, you could see each person and object in the room was layered. Not obviously sticking out but subtley showing depth to the world that you were viewing.
The next scene was still inside the (what i assumed to be) space station, the guy in the wheelchair is getting into a pod of some sort, Sigourney Weaver is being some sort of scientist doctor person and his helping him in. She refers to him as Jake so I'll happily assume thats his name. He gets in, and then some amazing 3D CGI happens involving their future space computer screens (taken directly from minority report I might add) and he finds that he is now in contoll of a really tall blue alien thing with a tail and huge eyes. he runs off happy that he can now walk and the scene ends. He's going to be in this alien's body for the rest of the film.
Now we find these guys are in a jungle on the planet, Jake is facing off what can only be described as a rhino crossed with a hammerhead shark. The rhinoshark is acting all angry at him, and they charge at each other. Rhinoshark stops and gives up but Jake finds that this is because a black sabertooth tiger is right behind him. So the black sabertooth chases him through the woods and I imagine this gets him seperated from his team as the scene then ends and goes to the next one. This one really showed off the 3D stuff so well. Like in the previous scenes, everything was layered and had a sense of depth but it felt more pronouced as there were so many little details in the jungle. Leaves, flys, grains of dust, everything was on a different plane. It wasn't gimmicky shit flying at me, it was little things just here and there drawing me in even more.
It's now night time and Jake is trying to survive an attack by these dog like animals and isn't doing very well when out of nowhere, he is saved by a blue alien woman who is quite clearly a native of the planet. This scene again shows of more if the subtltey to the 3D effects with more wildlife and everything glowing because it's night time and thats what alien animals do at night...
Now we see him, the woman and two other aliens scaling a clifftop to find some flying dinosaur like creatures with antennea. They get to a small open area where a lot of these animals are resting and Jake begins to shoo them away. Most leave but one holds it's ground, it's this one that Jake jumps onto the back of. It starts to try shaking him off but fails in a rather exiting process, Jake eventually manages to pin it and then he grabs his long pony tail  (I hadn't noticed his hair was like that until this bit) and somehow it fuses with the antennae of the animal and it is now tamed and he begins flying around the cliffs with it. This scene showed more of the gimmicky stuff that I don't like the animal was roaring and bareing it's teeth while poking out of the screen. However, there was some really good stuff with the waterfalls, each drop of water was at a different depth so it looked amazing.
After this there was a flash of some split second clips and the the title card. All in all, it was an astounding preview. As stated earlier, i'm not really a fan of 3D but this movie NEEDS to be seen in 3D, all the effects and angles are so geard towards it, the teaser trailer thats currently online does this movie absolutley no justice you HAVE to see this film to believe how good it is. While the story seems cliche, and the effects not so good in 2D, I honestly feel that this movie is going to be remembered as a classic for what it showed in terms of what 3D can be used for.
[close]

TLDR: SEE THIS MOVIE WHEN IT OPENS FOR ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY

Quote from: The Wispy Scoundrel
Just got back from the preview. I'm at a loss for words.

To say that the trailer did not do Avatar justice is a vast understatement. You know that rare feeling you get when you feel like you've witnessed something truly special? Where you sit back in a stunned silence, mouth agape, in total awe? Maybe you don't- these moments don't come along often. That was Avatar. The realisation of how insigifnicant these last thirty pages have been hit me hard and fast. After all the bickering over the quality of the CGI and the questionable design choices, the comparisons to Davey Jones and District 9- none of that will matter once you've seen what I've seen.

Now I can't speak for the quality of the narrative, because very little of that was shown (which I'm grateful for), but the special effects and the sheer beauty of Cameron's vision, well mark my words- it's out of this world. I have no point of reference to compare the world of Pandora to, because quite simply I have never seen anything quite so exquisitely beautiful before in my life. Pandora and it's inhabitants are a sight to behold. The Navi are elegant, beautiful creatures, nothing at all like how they came across in the trailer. Most importantly of all though, they felt alive. The sheer scope of the film is nothing short of awe inspiring. I don't want to go in to much detail for fear of spoiling things, but some of the set pieces were beyond anything I have ever seen commited to celluloid.

After the footage had finished, the audience gave a round of applause. Very little in the way of conversation was had as we all shuffled out of the cinema. Why?

Because people just had their fucking minds blown.

Believe.

Quote from: midwestern_stylings
I saw this today at the BFI near London Waterloo station.

I can't help but feel disappointed, I really just didn't get that wow factor I was hoping for. It's obviously visually great, but it still just looks very cartoony and just doesn't seem to quite fit.  I think a lot of this feeling has a lot to do with the alien design, the big anime eyes etc.. It just doesn't seem to mesh well in my mind.
The whole setting on the alien world just seems a bit, so what?

Some of the shots in the fight scenes were a big let down, it just reminded me of transformer 2 fight scenes, lots of quick images you can't really decipher.

Even the early scenes I saw of the marines, when the commander character was doing a speech, it just seemed very static and un-involving.

All that said, I still think it's going to be a great movie, I can imagine so real epic battle scenes, so here's hoping.

Quote from: Epic Tier 3 Engineer
Knowing nothing about this movie and having no emotional ties to the director, I can say with complete honesty that I wasn't impressed at all by either the CG or the artistic direction. It doesn't look realistic. In fact, all of the characters appear as if they are composed of a translucent rubber, which is the effect I see a lot nowadays in CG.

As for the art, two things struck me: I see a race of elf Nightcrawlers that seem to belong in a children's adventure movie contrasted by Sam Action Worthington. Also, I've been spoiled by awesome mech designs in games. That mech design is shit. And were those heliplanes ripped from Halo 3? I'm positive they have some basis in current tech, but it just looks generic.

That said, if it's a good movie, to hell with it. But it doesn't look cool, and it's not cute. So I don't know who they are trying to appeal to. Furries?

EDIT: Also, quoting that gif is embarrassing. It doesn't prove anything. Some of you act as if it's high art.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 08:31:48 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #183 on: August 21, 2009, 08:31:04 PM »
Sounds hot

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #184 on: August 21, 2009, 08:31:14 PM »
CHOO CHOOOOOOOOO

Hype train is back on track :rock
dog

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #185 on: August 21, 2009, 08:35:45 PM »
Believing Internet hype when geeks get early screenings :lol
PSP

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2009, 08:38:16 PM »
Believing Internet hype when geeks get early screenings :lol

Sorry, can't derail the hype train now. The dam has burst!
dog

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2009, 08:41:23 PM »
 :lol

There's no hype train. Internet screenings also claimed that Episode II was fantastic, Watchmen was amazing, etc.
PSP

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2009, 09:00:47 PM »

There's no hype train. Internet screenings also claimed that Episode II was fantastic, Watchmen was amazing, etc.

Oh, Willco, you're such an old man. And anyway, those movies LOOKED really, really good, which is what people are talking about right now.

By the way, here's another impression:

Quote from: stuburns
I saw the preview early. I was pretty much stunned.

Yesterday, I did agree to some extent that maybe making the Avatars/Na'vi with make up and plastics etc, and still have actors might be the better option. I now couldn't disagree more.

I'm not going to discuss 'spoilers', the footage isn't really very story heavy at all. But I will say this, the quality of the 3D in the CG was so much better than the 3D in the filmed footage, that if it has to be CG to make the 3D that good, awesome, make everything in CG from now.

I went with a mate who was equally stunned by it.

I hadn't seen 3D before, and I mentioned yesterday that I really didn't know if it was a big deal. It is. It's way more than going from black and white to color, it's probably closer to going from a written script to a movie.

I almost can't imagine going to see a 2D film again.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 09:09:12 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #189 on: August 21, 2009, 09:09:20 PM »
:rofl
PSP

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: August 21, 2009, 09:27:38 PM »
Quote from: Meier
Saw the preview In IMAX 3D and I'll echo the others' thoughts. In a word, stunning. I had some trouble following 1 action scene but for the most part it was all crystal clear.

I see most every 3D movie that comes out and this obviously is the cream of the crop... I can't imagine how amazing 2.5 hours of it will be.

P.S. Will this get R because of the nippleage?

Quote from: Kaako
Came back from the 6pm showing in Alexandria, VA.  Wow, just fucking wow.  The freaking
beast chase in the forest and almost every other scene
[close]
was fucking amazing.  My eyes were oozing with awe as they were focused liked they've never been.  It was am amazing experience and I will definitely be there day 1. 

Good show, Mr. Cameron.

:rock
dog

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #191 on: August 21, 2009, 09:41:24 PM »
The disappointment this movie will unleash when reality strikes people after this hype will make Phantom Menace look fantastic.
CBG

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: August 21, 2009, 09:55:33 PM »
The disappointment this movie will unleash when reality strikes people after this hype will make Phantom Menace look fantastic.

Only for old people like you and Willco. Can your cataract-filled eyes even see all the way to the screen?
dog

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #193 on: August 21, 2009, 09:58:21 PM »
will manabyte even make it to december? odds are one of the suicide threats will come true
nat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #194 on: August 21, 2009, 09:59:23 PM »
One more:

Quote from: ArachosiA 78
Arrrgg...I just wrote a rather long impression of the 15 min preview, but I was logged in for too long and lost everything I wrote... so, here is the greatly condensed version.

The CGI is easily the best CGI I have ever seen, and I absolutley hate CGI because it always looks fake to me.  But here, it looks real.  THat's really the best way I can describe it.  It's just real.  Your brain simply accepts that there really are 10 foot tall blue people running through a rainforest being chased by something like a cross between a panther and god knows what.

So, the debate about whether the CGI looks real or fake can end.  Seriously, it's a non-issue.  The shit looks real.

The 3D is also pretty impressive and really helps create the illusion that all of this crazy shit you're seeing is really there.

The only real issue I had with the preview was the dialogue.  I know Cameron is not known for high quality dialogue, but what was shown was below even his usual standards.  That said, there wasn't a whole lot of dialogue featured in the preview, so it's a little hard to judge it fairly at this point.  And even if the dialogue blows throughout the entire film, well, at least there will be some insane eye candy to help compensate.

Overall, I walked away very impressed and wanting more.  The 15 minutes absolutely flew by and I wantedso much more.  Oh well, the full movie is just around the corner.
dog

Powerslave

« Reply #195 on: August 21, 2009, 10:16:51 PM »
will manabyte even make it to december? odds are one of the suicide threats will come true

wow stfu, look what you just said.

« Reply #196 on: August 21, 2009, 10:42:42 PM »
A Bug's Life in 3D!
orl

twerd

• Twilight Nerd LOL
« Reply #197 on: August 21, 2009, 10:45:31 PM »
A Bug's Life in 3D!

so true, all we need is the Dreamworks face.
wut

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #198 on: August 21, 2009, 10:55:05 PM »
A Bug's Life in 3D!

The Bluray for Bug's Life is BRO-AWESOME. Seeing it in 3D would be cool, I bet.
dog

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #199 on: August 21, 2009, 11:51:42 PM »
I saw the preview screening. All 4 of us enjoyed it. Sam Worthington's cursing seemed really annoying and out of place though.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #200 on: August 22, 2009, 12:10:17 AM »
I only read the trio of quotes in the first post.

I don't think I've seen a 3D movie outside of shit at amusement parks or museums, but it definitely looked awesome. Two of my friends do 3D all the time and they labeled it outstanding.

I thought the special effects were really impressive. I don't care to argue every little fucking detail using screen grabs though. Davy Jones has to look better because I always thought that was half rubber suit with a little CG thrown in. Who cares?

I'm worried that the movie will wind up being either too simplistic or bloated and boring. I don't know why, just feel that way. All of the cliips were entertaining though. Except for "bitch! shit! bitch!"

Oh and some of the action was definitely video gamey, and I will probably see it in 2D because I found 3D distracting at times.

Oh and I think they will have a real hard time selling this idea, if they think they're making 240 million back I think they are really fucked. Maybe not a flop but a hard sell, unless the visuals start bringing in the kids and it's not a hard PG13.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 12:12:02 AM by AdmiralViscen »

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #201 on: August 22, 2009, 12:15:34 AM »
Oh and Fox's staff was hilariously inept. The guy who spoke to us before the showing had to read off a piece of paper, purely, a 30 second lecture about recording anything we saw. He had to look down to say the release date of the movie. It was pathetic. Then as the theater emptied, rather than waiting by the exit the Fox people were all the way by the entrance of the theater, hollering at random passers-by who they weren't even sure were there for the Avatar showing. I told her I thought it was awesome and asked if they wanted me to fill out a survey or anything, and they said no and circled "good" on a piece of paper. Well done.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #202 on: August 22, 2009, 12:24:07 AM »
Fox  :lol
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #203 on: August 22, 2009, 01:09:37 PM »
I hadn't seen 3D before, and I mentioned yesterday that I really didn't know if it was a big deal. It is. It's way more than going from black and white to color, it's probably closer to going from a written script to a movie.

From seeing a furry movie trailer :lol

Uh...don't they have to actually have FUR to classify as furries? My God, Borys, you're so filled with fail that it's not even funny.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #204 on: August 22, 2009, 03:56:16 PM »
We have a furry lover here :lol

You're the one that keeps bringing up furries. I'm sensing some deep personal issues involved in your posts, Borys, issues that are probably best kept to yourself.
dog

Powerslave

« Reply #205 on: August 23, 2009, 09:45:18 AM »
I'm not sensing anything in his posts.

Narag

« Reply #206 on: August 23, 2009, 02:52:23 PM »

They're more vampiric in nature, often taking more from you than you could from his posts.
DMC

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #207 on: August 23, 2009, 04:45:18 PM »
The beginning looked cool but this looks as though its going to turn into some shitty Pocahontas love story except with more furrydom
:9

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #208 on: August 25, 2009, 03:42:18 AM »
the only thing that looks off are the blue things.
the environments and stuff looks pretty amazing. those floating mountains don't really look CG at all.

So the things that aren't moving, the geological stuff looks good, but the things which are trying to emote, act, ostensibly the things you'll be paying the most attention to for the duration of the movie, look off.

Tieno

• Iconz
« Reply #209 on: August 25, 2009, 10:33:46 AM »
Odd, I always sense distinguished mentally-challenged in his posts.
i

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #210 on: August 26, 2009, 11:51:33 PM »
Some magazine scans:

dog

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #211 on: August 27, 2009, 02:54:29 AM »
Can't wait to play this game, looks pretty good for something using UE3.
PSP

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #212 on: August 27, 2009, 03:00:44 AM »

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #213 on: August 27, 2009, 03:40:24 AM »
I just emailed Ben Bova about how James Cameron is trying to make millions off Winds of Altair without giving credit.
CBG

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #214 on: August 27, 2009, 06:55:02 AM »
trolls have been thoroughly destroyed. CG looks amazing.
nat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #215 on: August 27, 2009, 07:07:48 AM »
like you would even know what a 2007 PC game looks like. all you play are console ports.
nat

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #216 on: August 27, 2009, 11:20:45 AM »
If you start looking at details, it's pretty impressive.
But if you zoom out and look at the big picture it's cartoonish and misplaced.
brb

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #217 on: August 27, 2009, 11:38:38 AM »
now I can't get that Pocahontas song out of my head whenever I see media for this movie

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #218 on: August 27, 2009, 01:05:20 PM »
now I can't get that Pocahontas song out of my head whenever I see media for this movie

Your own fault for taking the haters seriously.
dog

ManaByte

« Reply #219 on: August 28, 2009, 04:00:54 PM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
CBG

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #220 on: August 28, 2009, 04:40:42 PM »
Yeah, that meme pretty much stopped being funny ages ago.
dog

ManaByte

« Reply #221 on: August 28, 2009, 05:02:52 PM »
The "Hitler getting mad" meme has been ran into the ground but this particular one got me.

Captain Planet with cats :rofl

The WoW and Call of Duty ones are great too.
CBG

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #222 on: August 30, 2009, 12:31:50 AM »
The "Hitler getting mad" meme has been ran into the ground but this particular one got me.

Captain Planet with cats :rofl

I agree; these are old, but this particular one had me. The Wolverine comment just about made me choke on my tongue.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #223 on: September 08, 2009, 02:43:29 PM »
http://io9.com/5354315/avatar-concept-designer-reveals-the-secrets-of-the-navi
What about the sex appeal aspect of it? Was the sexiness something James Cameron emphasized with you?

Well, he wanted them to be very beautiful. And I do believe that, at some point, he said something to the effect of...the audience has to want to fuck her. I mean, Jim is very plain in his language.

So, I went, "All right?" So I made something that, I don't know if I really particularly wanted to fuck it, but it was certainly a beautiful alien. He definitely, he wanted it — because he really prefers women that are kind of athletic, and buff and stuff like that, so I, you know, designed something with big hands and feet, a big presence that felt really big and strong.

Omg :rofl What a fucking weirdo
hi5

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #224 on: September 08, 2009, 02:49:28 PM »
Movie looks amazing, haters will be owned like always.
Drunk

ManaByte

« Reply #225 on: September 08, 2009, 02:50:53 PM »

Fanboys will go see it 10 million times like with TDK. Average people will look at the trailer, say WTF?, and go see Sherlock Holmes.
CBG

Diunx

« Reply #226 on: September 08, 2009, 02:58:17 PM »
Yeah the fanboys were the ones that made TDK the second biggest movie in the states  ::), fucking stargate fans smh.
Drunk

Tauntaun

« Reply #227 on: September 08, 2009, 03:00:08 PM »

Fanboys will go see it 10 million times like with TDK. Average people will look at the trailer, say WTF?, and go see Sherlock Holmes.

:bow Sherlock Holmes :bow2

Can't wait!

Diunx

« Reply #228 on: September 08, 2009, 03:30:38 PM »
Giant guns and mechas :bow2
Drunk

ManaByte

« Reply #229 on: September 08, 2009, 04:39:45 PM »
Where can I find the original version of that "Hitler getting mad" clip? Is it from a movie or TV show?

CBG

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #230 on: September 08, 2009, 04:40:57 PM »
It makes sense though, he does like buff women. And nerds wanting to fuck characters that aren't real is a huge selling point for the nerd community. Can't wait until I can buy my Navi body pillow.

I wonder who he'll meet on set that'll make him dump his wife.

AMC

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #231 on: September 08, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
Scullabindo is gonna jack it to Navi tonight, with a single tear streaming down his cheek.
:9

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #232 on: September 08, 2009, 09:16:41 PM »
I avoided this thread because I thought it was about that wind-fighting cartoon but that trailer looked kind of boring honestly.  It's like the Lord of the Rings smurfified.

Tauntaun

« Reply #233 on: September 09, 2009, 05:10:07 PM »
I avoided this thread because I thought it was about that wind-fighting cartoon but that trailer looked kind of boring honestly.  It's like the Lord of the Rings smurfified.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #234 on: September 09, 2009, 07:49:11 PM »
yea, I don't think anyone cares what you have to say am nintenho.

:( @ agreeing with him
[close]

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #235 on: September 09, 2009, 08:01:21 PM »
I haven't seen a bad James Cameron movie (yet) but they all seemed to have at least a couple gay emotional scenes and it may just be that the Avatar trailer focuses on those scenes.  I mean I did refuse to watch Titanic for over a decade because of the "king of the world" line in the commercials.

Diunx

« Reply #236 on: September 09, 2009, 08:05:16 PM »
I'm sorry but only antisocial weirdos didn't watch Titanic in the theaters.
Drunk

Tauntaun

« Reply #237 on: September 10, 2009, 10:38:50 AM »

I ain't even seen dat movie cause I ain't no queer, I'M A MAN!  :punch

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #238 on: September 10, 2009, 12:21:37 PM »

I ain't even seen dat movie cause I ain't no queer, I'M A MAN!  :punch

^

never seen it, probably never will

Tauntaun

« Reply #239 on: September 10, 2009, 12:38:41 PM »
never seen it, probably never will

That's an e-dap right thur.