Author Topic: demon's souls thread  (Read 19726 times)

FatalT

Re: demon's souls thread
« Reply #180 on: October 11, 2009, 06:49:21 PM »
I just beat the Tower Knight and got my body back but now I'm afraid to play because I feel like I'm about to get invaded at any moment.  :omg

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #181 on: October 11, 2009, 09:19:10 PM »
Speaking of the black phantom on 3-1, I was coming back from killing the priest on the top level and dropped off the railing to pick up that item (what was it, like two lotus petals or something?). I completely forgot about the phantom and jumped right down, and as soon as I landed he shot me with his crossbow once and killed me instantly.

Then when I was rushing back to get my souls, I got killed by one of the octopus men who was offscreen while I was fighting another octopus man. Wound up losing 60k souls  :-\

So far the most I lost was 100k... I'm sure that's nothing compared to some people though. I'd love to read horror stories about several hundred thousand  :lol
BiSH

Bebpo

« Reply #182 on: October 11, 2009, 09:27:59 PM »
Speaking of the black phantom on 3-1, I was coming back from killing the priest on the top level and dropped off the railing to pick up that item (what was it, like two lotus petals or something?). I completely forgot about the phantom and jumped right down, and as soon as I landed he shot me with his crossbow once and killed me instantly.

Then when I was rushing back to get my souls, I got killed by one of the octopus men who was offscreen while I was fighting another octopus man. Wound up losing 60k souls  :-\

So far the most I lost was 100k... I'm sure that's nothing compared to some people though. I'd love to read horror stories about several hundred thousand  :lol

Yeah, the first time I got killed by the 3-1 phantom I had dropped down for the item.  Grabbed it, jumped off and landed with my back to the phantom and he 1 hit critical stabbed me in the back to kill me.  Fucked up!

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #183 on: October 12, 2009, 01:16:46 AM »
okay, foot in mouth, this game is fucking tough.   :'(

i think it's all about patience.  My first life in 1-1 was the longest, I even managed to kill the red eyed guy who gives you 2000 souls, cause i did everything cautiously. but then, i went through the fog next to the blue eyed guy, accidentally pressed on to the ledge overlooking the pit of zombies, fell in and got mauled.  and now I keep dying stupid deaths cause i'm impatient :lol

Jansen

« Reply #184 on: October 12, 2009, 03:15:38 AM »
cleared 2-2 & 2-3 and grinded for several hours on 4-2

you can get tons of souls real quick by ignoring the invisible dudes and just killing the reaper by the altar at the beginning of the level and then running off of the cliff. return, kill the reaper again, jump down and touch your blood stain then jump off of the cliff again. repeat until the boredom overwhelms you completely.

each reaper kill nets you 4500

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #185 on: October 13, 2009, 01:37:55 AM »
Awesome, still on 1-1, 3 and a half hours later.  As long as I beat the Giant Bomb guy's time (5 hours.) :lol   Just got the scimitar and figured out where to get the purple flame shield, so I should get it on my next run.

FatalT

« Reply #186 on: October 13, 2009, 02:26:51 AM »
Awesome, still on 1-1, 3 and a half hours later.  As long as I beat the Giant Bomb guy's time (5 hours.) :lol   Just got the scimitar and figured out where to get the purple flame shield, so I should get it on my next run.

Scimitar? Purple flame shield? Tell me more!

Bebpo

« Reply #187 on: October 13, 2009, 02:33:30 AM »
The purple flame shield, the strength ring, and the flame resistance ring are all on the dragon hill.  I got most of the treasures by walking on the bridge to trigger the dragon then sprinting to the hill and stealing treasures and running back.  The final treasure at the end (the strength ring) was giving me trouble as the tail kept crushing me, so I just got it after getting to 1-2 when both dragons had mysteriously vanished.

Bebpo

« Reply #188 on: October 14, 2009, 05:46:39 PM »
5-1 sucked.  The enemies are all grunts except the two bigger trolls so the soul payout is terrible and the boss is a joke.  First area I beat in body form and I didn't even get enough souls to gain 1 soul level, wtffff.  I hope the rest of world 5 doesn't suck as much.  I've enjoyed worlds 1-4 so far.

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #189 on: October 14, 2009, 06:28:31 PM »
Yeah, 5-1 was fucking annoying. I fell a gazillion times in the abyss.

5-2 is totally different. But also annoying - see it for yourself.  :-*

Bebpo

« Reply #190 on: October 15, 2009, 02:32:37 AM »
2-2 was a bitch.  Flamelurker was fine; in fact he was fun and I had to be creative as a mage.  But the level...ugh.  Spent a while navigating the tunnels and getting treasures.  Then the whole falling bit was a pain until I turned my brightness up.  Falling randomly into pitch black = the suck!

Bebpo

« Reply #191 on: October 15, 2009, 04:13:39 AM »
I feel like I'm approaching the burntout point.  :X  I spend all my free time with this and it's awesome but then afterwords I'm like ohgodwheredidmytimego 

Might need to take a break for a couple of days and then marathon the last 60%.

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #192 on: October 15, 2009, 05:01:40 AM »
A couple days ago I was feeling a little burnout, but I figured I'd play through it once more and get the platinum trophy. And then my PS3 broke.

I'm having withdrawals at the moment.
BiSH

Bebpo

« Reply #193 on: October 15, 2009, 01:56:28 PM »
A couple days ago I was feeling a little burnout, but I figured I'd play through it once more and get the platinum trophy. And then my PS3 broke.

I'm having withdrawals at the moment.

Wow, that is terrible since the demon souls save isn't copyable.  Was it the disc drive that died?  Or the yellow lights?

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #194 on: October 15, 2009, 02:12:20 PM »
The disc drive. It won't even spin the discs any more.

The only way to keep my DS save file is if I do a full system backup, and get my exact system back from Sony. But I'm sure they're just gonna toss it in a pile and send me some refurbished one. I'll be hassling someone on their support line before I send it in though.
BiSH

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #195 on: October 15, 2009, 03:20:21 PM »
The disc drive. It won't even spin the discs any more.

The only way to keep my DS save file is if I do a full system backup, and get my exact system back from Sony. But I'm sure they're just gonna toss it in a pile and send me some refurbished one. I'll be hassling someone on their support line before I send it in though.

That sucks.  :-\

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #196 on: October 15, 2009, 03:20:52 PM »
Damn PS3 breaks so easily...
fat

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #197 on: October 16, 2009, 11:23:21 AM »
yeah, ragequit.  Fuck this game. can't seem to make it past 1-1.  :lol 

I'm holding off until winter break to really get into it.  I like the concept a lot, but I need a lot of free time to really get into it. 

Jansen

« Reply #198 on: October 16, 2009, 12:55:49 PM »
did you pick royalty?

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #199 on: October 16, 2009, 01:36:08 PM »
yeah.   is that bad?

Bebpo

« Reply #200 on: October 16, 2009, 02:31:43 PM »
What part in 1-1 is giving you trouble atm?  It's a community game, the hint messages and coop and forum discussion is meant to offset the difficulty somewhat.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #201 on: October 16, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
The boss of 4-1 just glitched in my favor. :lol

I fireballed him, and expected a good fight, but he just stood there getting roasted. Works for me.

Jansen

« Reply #202 on: October 16, 2009, 03:54:05 PM »
yeah.   is that bad?

nope. easiest class to start with.

if you could just get past 1-1 you could get some help by co-oping with someone.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #203 on: October 17, 2009, 12:02:44 AM »
It's not even that I'm bad.  I get greedy and careless.  Like "oh the dragon's still over there breathing fire, think I'll try and go for the renowned hero's so--*burns* FUUUUUUUU."  Sometimes it's just dumb stuff like forgetting to block, or not reacting in time to roll. I could make it to the boss if I went straight through, but I'm being a completionist... 

I found some good tricks though...namely that you can guard crush the guys with the blue eyes and red eyes by hurling a couple spells at them, leaving them open for a hit. 

Jansen

« Reply #204 on: October 17, 2009, 12:14:29 AM »
it's so much easier to return to 1-1 and explore after you've killed the dragon in 1-2

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #205 on: October 17, 2009, 12:16:19 AM »
i can go back?  well fuck  8)

Bebpo

« Reply #206 on: October 17, 2009, 12:27:20 AM »
Kill the dragon in 1-2???

Jansen

« Reply #207 on: October 17, 2009, 12:30:50 AM »
shit yeah you can kill it as long as you have a bow and plenty of arrows. just stand on top of the first tower in 1-2 and fire away!

Bebpo

« Reply #208 on: October 17, 2009, 12:34:09 AM »
You get anything cool for beating it?

And if you kill the flying one in 1-2, can you kill the sleeping one in 1-1 while it sits there?

Jansen

« Reply #209 on: October 17, 2009, 12:55:06 AM »
you get a soul but i haven't found a use for it yet. the only reason i took it down was because i found it annoying. and no, i don't think you can kill the sleeping one.

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #210 on: October 17, 2009, 11:47:38 AM »
All you get for killing the red dragon is souls (and his demon soul, which has no uses besides consuming it). You can kill the blue dragon in
spoiler (click to show/hide)
1-4
[close]
and again you only get souls and a trophy. You need a couple hundred arrows and it takes like half an hour of shooting them in the face.
BiSH

Jansen

« Reply #211 on: October 18, 2009, 05:19:56 AM »
killed the penetrator boss and king doran today. it took awhile to kill doran with poison cloud and honestly his armor wasn't as good as i hoped it would be :(
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 05:21:40 AM by Jansen »

patrickula

« Reply #212 on: October 19, 2009, 12:48:57 AM »
Sheeeeit, 1-1 didn't give me much trouble, but I'm stuck already on 1-2  :-\

I picked the Wanderer class which I've quite enjoyed, though I'm using a lot of the winged spear now.

It seems like it's pretty damn hard to beat the Tower Knight without using magic or tons of arrows... I don't have any magic and I don't want to grind souls to buy arrows :-/
Also, the blue-eyed knights keep killing me before I get to him :maf

Bebpo

« Reply #213 on: October 19, 2009, 05:08:19 AM »
Starting to get owned hard in the 2nd half of this game.  1-4 is pretty nasty and once I get to the caves in 4-2 with the respawning laser blobs I just die horribly and can't advance at all.  Probably lost 70k+ souls in all my runs today, bleh.  Gonna try 5-2 tomorrow and see if it's any easier.  I loved being a power mage in the 1st half, destroying everything in my way while just avoiding ever being hit.   It looks like that's going to bite me in the ass for the last set of stages now >___<  May need some grinding and stat changing.

Oh and I went back to 1-1 and went to the dragon hill and fired soul lights at the fire breathing dragon.  It was doing damage and I got him down to about 20% of his HP and then...he flew away and never came back.  wtf  :maf

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #214 on: October 19, 2009, 11:23:22 AM »
Gotta kill the dragons on 1-2 and 1-4, or they'll just fly off.

For the cave in 4-2, I think there's a path to your immediate left as soon as you enter that none of the white guys path by. Not entirely sure though, as my shield can block their explosions for no damage. I'm pretty sure you can pass by their tail without setting them off, and if you sprint all the way through you should be able to outrun their explosions. There's also a ring in a cave in that area, where the slugs are. 4-3 is my favorite stage in the game, so press onward!

5-2 is the most frustrating stage IMO. Bring lots of poison cleansing lotuses...

And yeah, for the 1-4 boss, DO NOT get hit by one of his attacks, or you will regret it. I always save him for last.

It drains a soul level  :maf
[close]

I wanna plaaaay  :'( :'( :'(
BiSH

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #215 on: October 19, 2009, 01:08:44 PM »
Gotta kill the dragons on 1-2 and 1-4, or they'll just fly off.

For the cave in 4-2, I think there's a path to your immediate left as soon as you enter that none of the white guys path by. Not entirely sure though, as my shield can block their explosions for no damage. I'm pretty sure you can pass by their tail without setting them off, and if you sprint all the way through you should be able to outrun their explosions. There's also a ring in a cave in that area, where the slugs are. 4-3 is my favorite stage in the game, so press onward!

5-2 is the most frustrating stage IMO. Bring lots of poison cleansing lotuses...

And yeah, for the 1-4 boss, DO NOT get hit by one of his attacks, or you will regret it. I always save him for last.

It drains a soul level  :maf
[close]

I wanna plaaaay  :'( :'( :'(

so your ps3 isn't back yet,

when did you send it?

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #216 on: October 19, 2009, 01:36:47 PM »
so your ps3 isn't back yet,

when did you send it?

I'm ordering its coffin today. Or do I have to send it in myself? I imagine it will take at least a couple weeks from when I order it to when I get it back.

Either way I'm kind of a procrastinator...
BiSH

Bebpo

« Reply #217 on: October 19, 2009, 05:28:22 PM »
I'm kind of going to be glad when this is over.  This is the first game that has given me the WOW disease that I hear so many have.  Where it ruins your life because you become addicted.  Luckily unlike WOW which is 100s of hours and never ends, this caps out first run at about 30-40 (at 20 hours now myself).  It's not even that I love the game (I really like it), it's just that I am hopelessly addicted and when I sleep I dream about running around killing red knights for souls and during the day I'm thinking of how to build my character and ways to approach the current area. 

Actually I don't think the addiction is bad if you finish every stage you start when you turn off the system.  It's only when you do a stage for a few hours but DON'T finish it that you're left thinking about it all day until you give it another go.

I'm just hoping after I beat my first run I'll be satisfied and not get addicted into the idea of a 2nd run.  I want to do a 2nd run, but would rather wait until next year or something when I have free time.

Himu

« Reply #218 on: October 19, 2009, 10:04:50 PM »
To continue from the NPD thread that is now closed for some reason:

Quote from: Jinfash
Other than being developed in Japan and having stats, what does it have in common with your regular JRPG? It can be easily mistaken for a WRPG.

So? I do not understand this logic. Shin Megami Tensei games were originally first person, featuring first person dungeons and Wizardry like gameplay. They're still jrpgs.

There are many dungeon crawler-oriented jrpgs. Because they take western influences does not mean they're not jrpgs.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #219 on: October 20, 2009, 12:07:35 AM »
demon souls feels nothing like a wrpg imo.  Maybe the character making, but the combat is leaaaaaagues above any realtime wrpg I've played.  And the atmosphere and polish is just woooow

Rman

« Reply #220 on: October 20, 2009, 12:09:05 AM »
I gotta get this game.  I have a hard time finding minutes to play anything of late, though.

patrickula

« Reply #221 on: October 20, 2009, 12:31:02 AM »
Beat that Tower Knight like a bitch  :punch
I found that a flaming sword when he's knocked down tears him up good.

Jansen

« Reply #222 on: October 20, 2009, 12:36:35 AM »
tower knight is easy as fuck if you use a bow. he never even touched me.

Bebpo

« Reply #223 on: October 20, 2009, 12:50:30 AM »
the game is easy as fuck if you use a bow. he never even touched me.

fixed.  Which is why as of last night I'm now using a bow and kicking ass in the latter half.  It feels so cheap shooting things from far far away, lol.  I thought magic was cheap with its range but jeez, bows are like 10000x better though less powerful.  I never equipped a bow because knowing From Software I thought it would control like shit, like NG or Zelda or something.  But after using it, damn.  It's like suddenly the game is an fps  :lol

Jansen

« Reply #224 on: October 20, 2009, 12:59:09 AM »
a bow sure does help. especially when you use the lure technique

patrickula

« Reply #225 on: October 20, 2009, 12:59:40 AM »
It didn't seem like the game would be fun if I just used a bow (or magic) all the time  :-\  I beat the Tower Knight down old school.

Bebpo

« Reply #226 on: October 20, 2009, 01:15:01 AM »
It didn't seem like the game would be fun if I just used a bow (or magic) all the time  :-\  I beat the Tower Knight down old school.

That's why you can carry a lot of stuff with 2 weapons on each hand :)  It's all about variety!

I have bow/catylst & sword/magicimprover.  Sometimes I switch on a shield or talisman for blocking or evacuate.

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #227 on: October 20, 2009, 01:17:18 AM »
Bow + thief ring is overpowered as fuck. You can shoot some guy from 100 feet away, watch as he wanders around aimlessly for a few seconds and when he resets you can hit him again. Repeat forever.

What they should have done is make enemies regenerate health once they leave combat, like WoW. That right there would cut out 95% of the ways you can cheese enemies in this game.

Hell, for every black phantom in pure black World Tendency, you can pull them, hit them with death cloud + poison cloud and run away. They'll reset to their position and slowly die from the DoT's.
BiSH

Bebpo

« Reply #228 on: October 20, 2009, 04:14:06 AM »
Beat 4-2.  Wasn't too bad after my new setup with a crescent broadsword+2 for when I'm not using magic and a bow for long distance and total protection on all the time.  Buuuuut, I don't like these stages with NO SHORTCUTS.  I died on the boss with 70k souls and was VERY WORRIED about getting back there and retrieving them without a slip up.  But luckily I did.  Got the revive spell, should help?

Bebpo

« Reply #229 on: October 21, 2009, 03:49:49 AM »
Beat it.  Really awesome experience and definitely my GoTY so far.  I love how you can approach things from all different ways depending on your class/playstyle.

I played a little of newgame+ but I dunno if I'm going to keep playing.  I mainly want to see the Pure Black, Pure White special events and I'm starting to think it'd be quicker to just start a whole new file and do it in a world of easy enemies instead of in newgame+ where enemies are kinda annoying again.  Plus I'm not happy with my character stats.  I think I wasted about 20-30 soul levels on stats that I never used as a mage.  Could've pumped all that in magic power and been much stronger.  Plus I should have gone for the Insane Catalyst instead of Moving Soul Arrow and Firestorm instead of Fireball.  I dunno.  Gonna take a break from the game for now and play all the other fall stuff.  Might get back to it in a few months.

Also I'm just now getting to experience the crazy online side of the game.  During my first run I saw messages and ghosts but that was about it.  There was an occasional invader but that was rare.  Once I went to new game+ on the Asia version server I saw blue signs everywhere, did a coop session through 1-1, and was invaded on the 2nd stage I tried.  Also the WTs are all over the place.  1-1 didn't even have the dragons.  Definitely more interesting when all this is going on.

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #230 on: October 21, 2009, 04:05:02 AM »
Yeah, that's why I'm not too upset about losing my save. My stats were kinda fucked up; I put too many points into strength (I prefer dex based weapons), magic and intelligence, which I rarely used. Once I get my PS3 back I'll be going the mage route, then I'll probably make another melee character for PvP. I thought there was no way in hell I'd find another game I like as much as SF4 for this entire generation, but DS is my GotY as well. I love it  :D

I'm not sure exactly how good the Insanity Catalyst is, but there's a black phantom in pure black WT that drops a weapon that
doubles as a catalyst and talisman. Very useful.
[close]

Which was your favorite stage? Mine is 4-3; It hits all the right notes with me. Actually, I love all of world 4 from start to finish.
BiSH

Bebpo

« Reply #231 on: October 21, 2009, 01:30:23 PM »
I don't use talisman much except to evacuate or use antidote.  Would rather have my magic power buffed up with insanity :P

Favorite stage was probably world 1.  Loved the castle seige atmosphere and the giant dragons flying around.  World 4 was neat too with the rays flying around and the cliffs.  I greatly preferred the outdoor daytime worlds to the claustrophobic indoor worlds.  I thought 4-2 was the toughest stage with 5-2 being the most annoying.

One small complaint I have is that despite all the cool looking bosses and some of the cool boss fights, as a mage about 5 or 6 of the 16 bosses were a total joke.  You could just fire off spells from range and they'd either do nothing or shoot something low-damage and slow at you that you strafe around.  1-1,4-1,4-3,5-1,5-2,5-3,etc...  5-3 was neat but in my game the guy just stood still blocking the path and all I had to do was shoot him to death, lol.  Not really a challenging fight!  Cool atmosphere though.

Would have liked more hardcore fights like Penatrator, Flamelurker, False King. etc...

False King was a pain with my character.  Just barely won after a bunch of tries.  Having to run through the whole mini-stage every time just makes the tension worse when fighting him.

Jansen

« Reply #232 on: October 21, 2009, 11:00:53 PM »
i've only got 5-2/3 and 1-4 left :hyper

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #233 on: October 21, 2009, 11:05:19 PM »
5-3 is so awesome. Was definitely not what I was expecting.
BiSH

Bebpo

« Reply #234 on: October 21, 2009, 11:41:12 PM »
5-3 reminds me of Berserk

Jansen

« Reply #235 on: October 22, 2009, 12:56:21 AM »
5-2 down. i'll save the last two for another day.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #236 on: October 22, 2009, 01:24:46 AM »
I keep getting sidetracked and/or playing uncharted 2. going pretty slow, but still absolutely loving the game. just beat false idol and flamelurker yesterday, but died on the stupid dragon god. I also kind of want the fire resist ring from 2-2 (and patches!) that I bypassed because I just fell down the hole carefully.

Bebpo

« Reply #237 on: October 22, 2009, 01:38:18 AM »
5-2 down. i'll save the last two for another day.

5-3 will only take you 10 mins.  1-4, yeah, could be short, could be an hour+

Bebpo

« Reply #238 on: October 22, 2009, 07:26:58 AM »
So yeah, I wasn't really enjoying new game+ that much.  Enemies started getting too grindy.  So I started a brand new character and played for 5 hours straight.

By the time I finished tonight's run I had every world in Pure WT and did the World 1/4 Pure White events.  The levels on the Asia server start you at 1 away from pure white.  So if you just suicide in the nexus and then beat the first boss of each world, the worlds will become pure white and you can do their pure white events.  So I plan on doing the World 2/3/5 pure white events and then making all the worlds pure black and doing those events which should bring the stages back up to pure white again for the final bosses yay.

In 5 hours, I'm 50% through the game; estimating about 10-12 hour finish for this one.  My character is soul level 45 and I have all my best equipment that I have on my level 91 new game+ character.  I'm also only 22 good stats behind.  So at level 67 my current character should be 1:1 equal in power with my level 91 new game+ character.  On top of that I'm going to get the Insane catalyst this time which will buff up my magic atk power even further.  So by the time I reach new game+ and am around 90 with this char, it should be much less grindy.

Although since I'll have done all the pure WT/BT events and gotten all the loot already, I'm not really sure if there will be an incentive to actually play the new game plus.  Unless I want to just rush through the stages and get the boss souls to complete out my all magic trophy and then all miracle after another run.  The weapon making trophies just take too many runs to collect enough stones :\

Oh and a lot the tendency events are so not worth it.  You do all that to get world 4 white and then all you get is a sword and satsuki and satsuki fight doesn't even give you ANYTHING, lol. 

Jansen

« Reply #239 on: October 23, 2009, 12:21:40 PM »
beat it last night.

it took forever to kill that blue fucking dragon (which killed biorr in the process and got me the brushwood set!) and then right after that they throw BP ostrava at you! luckily his AI wigged out and he kept walking away from me while i was right in front of him. as for the king he jacked me up with his soul removal move which made me equip overburdened when he landed it. got pretty hairy for moment having to unequip something in the middle of the fight :lol

« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 05:03:38 PM by Jansen »