Author Topic: demon's souls thread  (Read 19724 times)

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Re: demon's souls thread
« Reply #300 on: May 01, 2010, 09:32:38 PM »
I started my first play through as a Thief. Read that its not too good of a Class to start off with.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 09:50:58 PM by BlueTsunami »
:9

Bebpo

« Reply #301 on: May 01, 2010, 09:48:49 PM »
Well I'll just leave it at: play any class you'd like.  But if you find the game too hard and get frustrated, instead of dropping the game and not experiencing the rest of the game, I urge you to simply restart as a Royal and have a better experience the next time around.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #302 on: May 01, 2010, 11:49:42 PM »
Bebpo speaks the truth. Even if you just play a few worlds as a royal, it will let you get your bearings about how the game flows much less painfully.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #303 on: May 02, 2010, 11:54:15 AM »
oh my god what the hell. the boss at the end of phalanx archstone
how would one even attempt to beat that?
nat

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #304 on: May 02, 2010, 12:07:17 PM »
The big guy?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
beat him with long rage attacks. take the stairs up and shoot from one of the sides. kill the soldiers first. the fight is pretty easy that way
[close]

I could never beat him with melee attacks. And I've finished the game four times...

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #305 on: May 02, 2010, 12:14:42 PM »
I started my first play through as a Thief. Read that its not too good of a Class to start off with.

Didn't you play this already?  I remember you telling me about it. 

i took a look at the next archstone and didn't get very far. so i want and played the second level at boletaria where i have to run by the fucking dragon. i got all the way to the end and got killed by the second knight. went back to collect my souls and got killed by the first one. dude has a sliver of life and got a hit in. lost all my souls. so i quit out. all that time for nothing.

i probably should have played as knight or something. dunno why i picked priest.

That's exactly why I'm hesitant to pick this game up.  I just don't have the time to spent 2 hrs on a game and have zero to little progress.  But maybe Bebpo is right and Royal makes the game much easier?

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #306 on: May 02, 2010, 12:18:38 PM »

Didn't you play this already?  I remember you telling me about it. 

Nope, I was probably relaying second hand accounts and all that. I finally got some money from my new job so I was able to buy it. But now that I actually own it, I can say without a doubt that this game is awesome.

Also, the Dragon at the bridge (near the start of the game). The sound it makes when its about to unleash its fiery breath, Jesus Christ.

That's exactly why I'm hesitant to pick this game up.  I just don't have the time to spent 2 hrs on a game and have zero to little progress.  But maybe Bebpo is right and Royal makes the game much easier?

From what I've experienced so far, it does suck when you lose Souls but you still retain items from each run. So if you got some interesting Weapon that'll definitely help out and then you die, you retain that weapon. Same thing with health items. Now if you're grinding for Souls and take unnecessary risks, you risk the chance of not only losing all those souls but all the time you spent harvesting them. Fortunately the game gives a chance to win them back by touching your pool of blood.

On another note. I fucking love how I bought some Plate Armor, thinking "Yeah, now I won't die as fast!" and realize that it really impedes your movement. So I re-equipped my Thief gear since the stick and move way of fighting feels the most comfortable for me. So basically I'm slowing finding out that there really is no free lunch in this game, everything is a compromise.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 12:25:29 PM by BlueTsunami »

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #307 on: May 02, 2010, 12:25:07 PM »
playing this game is just a weird experience. i've put about 4 hours in so far but when i actually look at how much progress i've made it looks like no more than a half hour.

On another note. I fucking love how I bought some Plate Armor, thinking "Yeah, now I won't die as fast!" and realize that it really impedes your movement. So I re-equipped my Thief gear since the stick and move way of fighting feels the most comfortable for me. So basically I'm slowing finding out that there really is no free lunch in this game, everything is a compromise.

huh. i bought the first tier armor for my head, chest, and legs but it doesnt feel any different to me. then again it might just be that priest isn't as nimble.

but getting that long sword has really made the game easier. much quicker and deadlier than the shitty mace.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 12:27:06 PM by fistfulofmetal »
nat

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #308 on: May 02, 2010, 01:08:39 PM »
The main thing to look for when you're equipping gear is your equip burden. If it is over half of your maximum, then you won't be able to roll effectively. You'll just kinda slam onto the floor and slowly get back up. If it's less than 50%, you can roll around like you're playing Ninja Gaiden. So if you have an equip burden of 100.0, aim for 50.0 or lower.

It does suck to die twice and lose your souls, but you are still making progress. Aside from retaining any items you found in the stage, you're also gaining knowledge of enemy placement, patterns, traps, the layout of the stage, shortcuts, etc. which is the most important thing.
BiSH

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #309 on: May 02, 2010, 01:12:31 PM »
playing this game is just a weird experience. i've put about 4 hours in so far but when i actually look at how much progress i've made it looks like no more than a half hour.

huh. i bought the first tier armor for my head, chest, and legs but it doesnt feel any different to me. then again it might just be that priest isn't as nimble.

but getting that long sword has really made the game easier. much quicker and deadlier than the shitty mace.

I'm playing as a Thief and putting on the Plate armor caused the roll animation to feel sluggish. I need to get a Long Sword, I've been killing shit with the Mail Breaker (Rapier) and Scimitar.

Himu

« Reply #310 on: May 02, 2010, 01:29:04 PM »
I play as thief too.
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #311 on: May 03, 2010, 09:18:10 AM »
Got my first catalyst to cast spells with (just a simple wooden wand). Was able to take out the red eye'd motherfucker in that first level, just stand back and nuke with Soul Arrow. God I'm loving this game. Some of the switches that allow you to cut across levels are ingenious as far as level design goes.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #312 on: May 04, 2010, 01:49:44 PM »
Wrote this up on another small forum where some of the peoples were on the fence about the game. Most of you have already played the game, obviously, for those who haven't I hope this can help answer some questions or give some insight.

A couple of points from more of my gaming time with it...

- Level designs are really, really good. There's no jumping and all that but the layouts are awesome. Some people have likened it to Castlevania. Its almost like that but not as much interaction with the environments and hidden nooks (though there are are hidden nooks with good equipment). The layouts are certainly high up there, quality wise.

Plus each level has some sort of switch that allows you to get back to a part thats farther in. The way they implement these "shortcuts" are pretty ingenious. In some cases they're just locked doors but in the mining level its actually a lift thats right next to the levels entrance.

-Ambiance. This game is chock full of that good shit. I tried out Level 3? yesterday, which is the Prison Tower. Oh man. Absolutely creepy. You've got these Cthulhu like creatures that specialize in magic. They have these eerie bells that you can hear from far off. This resonating "Ting" can be heard when they're around.

-The way encumbrance is handled is great from a tactical standpoint and how the gamer has to deal with this. You've got Item Encumbrance and Equipped Encumbrance. Item Encumbrance is obvious, you can't carry beyond the limit. Now the weight limit on what can be Equipped really makes you think about if you want to equip that ornate set of Armor with cool magical properties or stay in assassin cloth and be able to be as agile as possible.

-They really thought about animation. This is in regards to weapons and shields. Different weapons react differently, mainly in their speed of movement and angles. You can easily jab and slash with a dagger or rapier and that Bastard Sword takes a little longer to build up and swing. With shields, the smaller ones can be brought up and dropped quickly but the bigger ones have to be heaved into place. All of this equals a rewarding feeling when you've learned the timing with a particular weapon.

-Each weapon has its strength and weaknesses. Rapiers are good for piercing things, like metal, but they obviously don't slash so enemies with exposed skin are better dealt with by edged weapons (daggers, long swords, scimitars). Then you've got enemies with shield that can be a huge nuisance if you don't have a larger weapon (Long Sword, Claymore, Axe), these weapons are fantastic for breaking guard. Then you've got Spears that are awesome in that you can hold a shield and keep your distance but they are abysmal for guard breaking.

-Spells are also used in this game. I was confused at first, wondering why I couldn't cast a spell I just bought but I came to find I needed a catalyst (basically something that the spell can be funneled through, like a wand). I ended up finding my first wand (a wooden one, very basic) and started blasting shit. I just love that Spells have another layer of determined power in the form of catalysts. Just another piece of equipment to find, which I love.

-There are dragons in this game and I don't think I've played an RPG that was able to make them so damn fearsome. You don't face them directly (as in in battle, at first) but they are there looming over one of the levels. The sound they make when they're about to breath fire gave me goosebumps. The sound design and enemy design in general are very good.

-Difficulty. This game is hard but not "why do I keep dieing at this spot?" hard more "Shit, I should have slowed down and thought about this first" hard. I've never faulted the game for my own death (well, maybe once where the camera was at an awkward angle and I rolled off the edge of a cliff). With that said, the only penalty that comes with death is losing your souls (which can be thought of as currency) and progress through a level. Thats it.

Slow it down, don't bite off more than you can chew and read all the messages being left by other souls. And unless you're saving for a very expensive item, don't hoard souls, use them. By hoarding souls you're asking to lose them.

But thats about it, Its extremely robust when you think about all these mechanics, equipment types and enemies. Also I dont' think I've written this much about a game in my life which should give you an idea how much I dig it.

Bebpo

« Reply #313 on: May 04, 2010, 03:29:43 PM »
awesome.  glad you are enjoying it.

It was a really amazing experience.  Nothing else like it.  I can't wait for From Soft to do a sequel after AC5.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #314 on: May 04, 2010, 08:18:05 PM »
spending some time in the second archstone. I got to the lever and pulled it. but i can't find what it opened. i got the fat guy who i can't get to due to the collapsed bridge. walked around and killed some more dude and then returned to the nexus. gonna go back and search for whatever the level opened up later.

made sure to upgrade my long sword again too. up to 107 hp
nat

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #315 on: May 04, 2010, 08:32:42 PM »
I raised my strength up to 18 so I could carry an Iron Shield (which is essentially a Large Shield), now I can stand toe to toe with the red eye dude in the first level (who gives 2000 souls). The large shield makes it so he can't break my guard with his spear and I can easily deflect the spear attack. He can still break my guard though when he smashes his shield in to mine (so I have to keep my distance). Feels good that I can finally kill it. A good tactic is to stagger him by blocking his spear and then shoot a fireball at him while he's staggered (you have to be quick though). I can kill him with three shots like that.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 08:35:37 PM by BlueTsunami »

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #316 on: May 04, 2010, 09:03:11 PM »
Blue, you swayed me with that persuasive propaganda.  Demon's Souls seems worth messing around with, even if I decided not to play it through.  Let's just hope it's not another B- game that's just been blown up by Sfag hype. 

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #317 on: May 04, 2010, 09:06:09 PM »
you're outplaying me, BS. i'm just barely progressing and mostly fumbling around.
nat

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #318 on: May 04, 2010, 09:17:36 PM »
Definitely used to this game due to Risen, so it coming a little easier to me.

Blue, you swayed me with that persuasive propaganda.  Demon's Souls seems worth messing around with, even if I decided not to play it through.  Let's just hope it's not another B- game that's just been blown up by Sfag hype. 

Its going for like $30? On Amazon, so its almost at bargain prices. For the game your getting, I think its very worth it. I'm a huge King's Field cigarillo so I may be hyping it up the game a bit more due to my love for it and From Software.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 09:19:18 PM by BlueTsunami »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #319 on: May 05, 2010, 01:44:10 AM »
Let's just hope it's not another B- game that's just been blown up by Sfag hype. 

It is. It's a From Software game. It's not AAA. You really have to appreciate the company and what they've made.
fat

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #320 on: May 05, 2010, 03:14:28 AM »
This is literally the only PS3 game I want. Maybe The Last Guardian as well.
SRY

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #321 on: May 05, 2010, 08:28:34 AM »
Demon's Souls is the only game on the sfag hype train that actually lives up to the hype. As far as quality goes this gen, nothing comes close to SSF4 and Demon's Souls.
BiSH

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #322 on: May 05, 2010, 08:48:44 AM »
the next path i'm gonna go down I think:

level up my crossbow (where can i get like a heavy cross bow... or even an regular bow? i have a bunch of arrows)
grind the first and second level a bit for souls.
level up my strength and vitality
then go into the third archstone and use the bows to kill the fuckers with the range attacks. i can't get them in close range.
then hopefully i can find the merchant in the third archstone and get some new gear.
nat

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #323 on: May 05, 2010, 08:51:46 AM »
the next path i'm gonna go down I think:

level up my crossbow (where can i get like a heavy cross bow... or even an regular bow? i have a bunch of arrows)

There's a Heavy Crossbow in the Prison Tower but its kind of deep in (can't tell you exactly, I just found it). If you haven't gone there yet, the enemies are using very strong magic.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #324 on: May 05, 2010, 09:02:49 AM »
yeah i've been there. was able to go about two enemies deep before i backed out. kept having to take a half moon crescent after an encounter and didnt want to burn through them. but i was able to kill them with my crossbow, just didnt have enough bolts.

nat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #325 on: May 05, 2010, 06:50:26 PM »
had my first rage quit. stupid enemies in the third level attack faster than i can dodge out of the way. i hit one with a bolt and before my character comes out of his animation i'm hit and i'm down half my health.
nat

Himu

« Reply #326 on: May 05, 2010, 07:19:43 PM »
Demon's Souls is the only game on the sfag hype train that actually lives up to the hype. As far as quality goes this gen, nothing comes close to SSF4 and Demon's Souls.

Wrong.

[youtube=560,345]NXKSccKJjtE[/youtube]
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #327 on: May 05, 2010, 08:20:15 PM »
With some grind runs through the first level, I've amassed 30,000 souls. I'm trying to hit 50,000 so I can get that ring that gives you more souls per kill.

Himu

« Reply #328 on: May 05, 2010, 09:48:54 PM »
going to laugh if you die.
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #329 on: May 05, 2010, 10:12:53 PM »
I didn't but let me tell you, I was scared shitless when I was in the Prison Tower. Its like they made those Cthulhu enemies just for fucking over when trying to purchase that Ring.

:punch I.AM.DA.DEMON'S.SOULS.MASTA :punch