Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2060085 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #15481 on: June 26, 2018, 07:09:42 PM »
Bernard is possibly the most ineffectual "protagonist" ever (maybe that changes next season), never remembering the full picture and indeed never even being in control of his body at points.

Jeffrey Wright is such a good actor and Bernard was my favorite character by far in the first season and I thought they did a really great job with him in that first season. It was so disappointing how they handled him in Season 2. Such a waste.

I still really like the first season overall. I just thought Season 2 overall was just a complete tactical error in the direction of the show even if I enjoyed certain individual episodes of Season 2.

Tasty

« Reply #15482 on: June 26, 2018, 07:48:24 PM »
For me it's hard, since as a big Lost fan I'm OK with strapping myself into a wild ride of "WTF." And I can't really judge s2 until I see the overall picture. Maybe I'll be able to point to it and say "this is where it all went wrong," and my feelings right now are negative, but who knows, maybe it'll lead to something better.

It'll have to if they keep expecting me to pay $15/month for this pap after Game of Thrones ends.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #15483 on: June 26, 2018, 08:50:34 PM »
kiksuya, the ep with old man delos and maybe the samurai ep were my favorites of the season

like i said when it started up though, the decision to do another split timeline was just a fucking horrible call felt like a total misread of not only what ppl liked/like about your show but what was working well. S2 should have started as a very direct sequel to s1 since this is a tv show and hbo gave them so much freedom they should have just treated these 2 seasons as something to eventually viewed straight together. A full chapter in however long this show goes.

I hope they don't back down and season 3 is actually different

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #15484 on: June 26, 2018, 09:33:08 PM »
Um, so will the name “Westworld” even be relevant to the show next season? Everything I’ve read indicates things are moving beyond the park.
serge

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15485 on: June 26, 2018, 09:46:23 PM »
Um, so will the name “Westworld” even be relevant to the show next season? Everything I’ve read indicates things are moving beyond the park.
They can just move it to San Francisco and have Dolores start killing a bunch of SJWs.  :doge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15486 on: June 27, 2018, 12:47:41 AM »
Logan was my favorite, that scene by the pool with his dad was especially relevant, raw and touching to me.

why

I love watching Chucky movies (except for Seed Of Chucky which is an all time WOAT) because they're incredibly stupid, so I'm down for a TV show to binge when I'm bored tbh.
I dont mind more Chucky movies, but this shit isnt going to work as a TV show unless they have a big cast and kill a person every ep or something, these things have a formula and there's really not going to be a good way to do episodic cliffhangers or whatever and if you insert a detailed plot with char development and such it becomes an entirely different thing. See Evil Dead, very much killed by the format. If they wanna make Chucky, they should just make movies and not fuck with it.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #15487 on: June 27, 2018, 04:59:43 AM »

it will be just cuz they have five hosts escaping the park and they need to frame the 'fords voice' thing in a new way. i'll bet they shoehorn it in by having the hosts mind palace thing for season 3 be in the og park

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #15488 on: June 27, 2018, 05:44:08 AM »
Maybe the real Westworld was inside us all along.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #15489 on: June 27, 2018, 05:48:18 AM »
that's Futureworld :bolo

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15490 on: June 27, 2018, 03:13:46 PM »
I wonder how westworld season 2 would play as episodes of monday night RAW

TVC15

« Reply #15491 on: June 27, 2018, 03:18:12 PM »
I wonder how westworld season 2 would play as episodes of monday night RAW

I don’t know... but what I do know is that adding Enzo Amore to the cast is the only way I’d bother with another season.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #15492 on: June 27, 2018, 04:21:21 PM »
A sort of digital Valhalla for the hosts that exists on some other server somehow again that goes unnoticed by anyone, as Ford made it in secret for lulz one day, but now Delores knows about it and changed its "coordinates" so no humans could ever find it anyway. Even though no humans knew about it at all to begin with.

I thought to myself "this makes no sense" when watching the ep and I only feel more strongly about that now. Seriously, wtf was the point of this? The rest of it could be hand-waved away but there's no reason to add this extra "Delors is in charge now NOT HOOMANS!!" twist.

Also: unless robo-heaven's server is literally on a satellite rocketing past the edge of the solar system... anyone can still get to it. Servers have to exist (and run!) somewhere, and everything on the web can be tracked these days. Even if WestWorld had its own undersea internet cable, there are ways to sift through that data (assuming you're Delos Corp and are just a tiny bit curious what the logs were right before the whole place got fucking flooded.)

Insane.

Tasty

« Reply #15493 on: June 27, 2018, 04:23:28 PM »
Also, "Halores" is somehow the worst of both worlds. :lol

I wanted to stab my ear when she started twanging like s1 Delores for no reason.

Tasty

« Reply #15494 on: June 27, 2018, 04:30:27 PM »
Also, what's the leeway on body image improvements for bodyswapped human-hosts?

Like did Bernard make sure to get every skin imperfection, pimple, etc. on robo-Hale?

ALSO ALSO that brings something else up:

Hale shoot Elsie.

Bernard sees it and spends 5 mins talking to Ford/himself.

Then Hale dumps Elsie's body in cold storage or whatever, and I took this to be like, 15 mins later tops.

Which brings me to my point: how long does it take to make a host? It always looks fairly glacial, but bam, 15 minutes later Halores is there. "In the flesh." ::)

She even had time to come up with her own quips. "You thought you could live forever. You should be careful what you wish for." *smirks*

Except not only is that quip braindead, it doesn't even make sense. I'm pretty sure we can already clone things. The concept of "living forever" is obviously about consciousness not appearance, you dunce.

Tasty

« Reply #15495 on: June 27, 2018, 04:32:14 PM »
There's also a bunch of other things I'm annoyed about but I'd like to see a chronological fan edit or something, the show certainly tries hard to make you feel dumb and in my case succeeded a couple times.

Tasty

« Reply #15496 on: June 27, 2018, 04:57:39 PM »
The only way s3 manages to top this is if they used the "it's actually ALL a simulation" twist even the Wachowski's were wise enough to sidestep in their worst movie (Revolutions.)

Tasty

« Reply #15497 on: June 27, 2018, 05:20:41 PM »
Exactly lol. I feel like they might go for it.

They're locked in a losing war with Reddit theorists when really, the creators of the best "puzzle box" shows don't give a fuck about that shit. Nolan and Joy can learn a lot from David Lynch.

Starting with this lesson from WestWorld Season 2:

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15498 on: June 27, 2018, 05:55:31 PM »
The only way s3 manages to top this is if they used the "it's actually ALL a simulation" twist even the Wachowski's were wise enough to sidestep in their worst movie (Revolutions.)
Don't you be passive aggressive. The Wachowskis know exactly what they're doing, it's not their fault audiences are fucking stupid. The Nolans and their way of story telling is a direct result of the incapabilities of audiences to pick up on nuance.

It's funny that the Wachowskis are genuinely better received everywhere else in the world.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #15499 on: June 27, 2018, 05:57:19 PM »
I assumed that every staff member has a host version of them in hiding somewhere just in case.
this is somehow even dumber than being able to print her body in 10 minutes, so I absolutely expect to see it in the show next season

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #15500 on: June 27, 2018, 06:15:37 PM »
apparently they're gonna try to make a nightbreed tv show at syfy

Cautiously optimistic. One of the best things you can say about the movie *and* the short story is that they both feel like a rough draft/rough attempt at a tv pilot anyway so.

Tasty

« Reply #15501 on: June 27, 2018, 06:20:46 PM »
Don't you be passive aggressive. The Wachowskis know exactly what they're doing, it's not their fault audiences are fucking stupid. The Nolans and their way of story telling is a direct result of the incapabilities of audiences to pick up on nuance.

It's funny that the Wachowskis are genuinely better received everywhere else in the world.

:confused Get off my nuts, I'm probably the biggest Wachowski fan on the Bore.

Matrix :gladbron
Reloaded :delicious
Speed Racer :jawalrus
Cloud Atlas :leon

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Jupiter Ascending
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #15502 on: June 27, 2018, 06:22:41 PM »
I didn't think calling Matrix Revolutions "bad" in The Year of Our Lord 2018 was still going to trigger fools, but here we are.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #15503 on: June 27, 2018, 06:23:43 PM »
I cry everytime I get to the end of Speed Racer.

every
time

growing up without a lot of older male influences that scene at the end where racer x is cheering on his bro just destroys me emotionally every god damn time
[close]

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15504 on: June 27, 2018, 06:24:11 PM »

It's funny that the Wachowskis are genuinely better received everywhere else in the world

Is your assertion that it is the fault of audiences that the the Nolans  make movies/shows where the plots completely fall apart with the slightest bit of scrutiny and upon rewatches?
yeah kinda.

People love Christopher Nolans repeated expositions that are on the fucking nose the first time around yet they consider him a genius

:yeshrug

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15505 on: June 27, 2018, 07:03:27 PM »
The Nolans are hacks and the only reason most people give any shit about the Nolan name is because he made some Batman movies that make nerds think they're watching something "mature" because he has a good DP and uses steadycams so it tricks people into thinking he elevates his pieces with class. It's the same thing that happened with Westworld and it turned out to be terrible writing like everything else the Nolans are involved with, but people got distracted with production value.
I'm in total agreement here.

however, even so the Nolans are the best thing mainstream Hollywood has to offer at this point.   :-\

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15506 on: June 27, 2018, 07:33:02 PM »
Lmao pretend The Dark Knight Rises even touches Black Panther or Thor Ragnarok brehs

:lucas

ok now you just trying to trigger me. I don't care how bad that movie was. Nothing in the Marvel world except maybe the first Iron Man touches the Batman Nolan movies.

Let's keep it grounded here.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15507 on: June 27, 2018, 07:42:08 PM »
Lmao pretend The Dark Knight Rises even touches Black Panther or Thor Ragnarok brehs

I unironically love TDKR despite it's issues, I kinda dislike Black panther while liking what it represents and find Ragnarok to be complete garbage of the highest order :yeshrug

I can understand why people put Black Pantehr on a pedestal as it has some cool things about it, but not Thor Ragnarok.
At least Thor knew what it was, hell it knew what all of Marvel is about. It was in on the joke.

Black Panther pretended (at least in it's marketing and on social media) to be some cultural milestone when it was nothing more than another shitty marvel movie.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15508 on: June 27, 2018, 08:03:05 PM »
Black Panther wasn't sold as anything different than any other Marvel movie in marketing. FANS on social media did all that stuff. Unless you think showing off the cast automatically equals culture milestone in marketing solely on the basis of having a black cast.

you really think Disney didn't have a hand in this???

:neogaf

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15509 on: June 27, 2018, 08:30:16 PM »
Like it or not, it IS a cultural milestone in proving that mostly/all black cast movies can be widely successful blockbusters. Marvel brand or not that's culturally significant. I may not have liked the movie but that doesn't mean it doesn't hold a place in history for that alone. You might as well accept that now.
There's been plenty of movies with an all black cast that has made money or you think this is something new because it's a Marvel movie? Are we forgetting unfunny Tyler Perry has a fucking empire lol?  A Marvel product is a huge undertaking, and nothing to do with anyone directly acting/directing in this piece of shit film. You could have put a potato in place of any actor or director and the result would have been the same in this current climate. Stay within the template and you're good.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15510 on: June 27, 2018, 08:40:41 PM »
Compare $6M Tyler Perry movies that make $30-60M to a $200M tentpole blockbuster that made over $1B worldwide breh
Yeah breh Tyler Perry movies are done on minuscule budgets almost on his own where a Marvel movie cost hundreds of millions of dollars and has the power of Disney behind it but yeah brehs let's not understand the point of the comparison  :snoop

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15511 on: June 27, 2018, 08:46:04 PM »
Well the real difference is Tyler Perry movies are primarily for black audiences specifically, while Black Panther was an all audience movie with a primarily black cast and is one of the most successful movies of all time, which is a pretty big deal since Hollywood has been pretty shy to put out movies with primarily black casts that weren't "black movies" with small budgets. So, in that sense, BP is a bit of a milestone, not because of the story or characters or anything.
Considering Marvel movies are putting up huge numbers regardless of cast, regardless of the movies being remotely decent, doesn't really mean much in this instance, now does it? Not to mention there's been black superhero movies that pulled in huge numbers. Blade? Or i guess that doesn't count.

The thing is this- SJ.Ws want to pretend it's important. They WANT to make it culturally significant, and Marvel/Disney played into it. It's that simple.  It's the same thing they're trying with Star Wars with this whole 'female empowerment' garbage in a franchise that most females don't give a fuck about, but in that instance it's backfiring.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #15512 on: June 27, 2018, 08:49:31 PM »
wtf are you people talking about...

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15513 on: June 27, 2018, 08:53:29 PM »
Well it seems assimilate has a drinking problem and has a hard time with coherent thoughts and topics, so it is hard to say. I think he's saying movies with black people and women are poopy.
Stro, the way you laugh at people on Ree is the way i laugh at you and the majority of people on here.

Sleep on that one.   :heart

TVC15

« Reply #15514 on: June 27, 2018, 09:00:30 PM »
btw Assimilate would be the first I put to the national razor, even before my political enemies.
serge

TVC15

serge

benjipwns

« Reply #15516 on: June 27, 2018, 09:28:51 PM »
that show is a lot like Star Trek: Voyager, the main character, Rory, is the villain

TVC15

« Reply #15517 on: June 27, 2018, 09:35:40 PM »
Y'all are heartless cacodemons

Next you're going to say Gilmore Girls sucks
Y'all are heartless cacodemons

Next you're going to say Gilmore Girls sucks

Gilmore Girls? At least I was able to complete an episode of Dawson’s Creek.

I can’t find the thread, but at one point I tried binging Dawson’s while binge drinking. I woke up the next afternoon and couldn’t figure out how many episodes I watched or where I left off because every episode was basically the same.

Anyway, back in the day I was a thread-making god.  http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=1192.msg25185#msg25185
serge

TVC15

« Reply #15518 on: June 27, 2018, 09:41:34 PM »
Gilmore Girls is one of my favorite shows :heart

I saw someone from your culture get beheaded in a Faces of Death film for saying such a thing.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #15519 on: June 27, 2018, 09:44:40 PM »
Man, if you can't enjoy Dawson's Creek or Gilmore Girls you really are dead inside. If only they had cannibal episodes :mjcry

Well, I was trolling a little. I hate Dawson’s Creek. Gilmore Girls just isn’t my kind of thing, but I probably would have liked it back in, say, 2006, before I was completely ruined.  There’s a chance I could like it in the future if I ever end up unbroken.
serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #15520 on: June 27, 2018, 10:15:50 PM »
I don't think TVC really enjoys anything.

TVC15

« Reply #15521 on: June 27, 2018, 10:28:22 PM »
I don't think TVC really enjoys anything.

For real. And I hate it. I know at least some of you think I like wallowing in my own misery, but I’d love to be better. This is no act or anything.
serge

benjipwns

« Reply #15522 on: June 27, 2018, 10:42:03 PM »
don't break kayfabe :ufup

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #15523 on: June 28, 2018, 12:57:12 AM »
the expanse is so good fuck glad it got picked up by amazon

:whew

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #15524 on: June 28, 2018, 02:14:37 AM »
Westworld was fucking garbage. In the bad way, not the good, stupid but fun way it was around the middle of the season. Bad writing, bad story, overly complicated bullshit to SWERVE da internet and in the process completely destroying whatever semblance of plot and logic was left in the show (which wasn't much). I mean:

There is the real world

The physical theme park known as Westworld (along with the other themed parks, but we'll keep all of this as just physical Westworld)

A secret, digital back up of Westworld where Ford's consciousness lives and is able to essentially body hop via the internet I guess until it turns out he's mostly been a robot's imaginary friend. Anyway, somehow no one noticed or knew about this as Ford set it up on his own for lulz.

The "system" that runs everything, which takes the avatar of the boss' druggie son ( :lol ) , and features digital recreations of both the real world and Westworld, as well as presumably unique locations like the library that holds the profiles for every guest ever I guess?

A sort of digital Valhalla for the hosts that exists on some other server somehow again that goes unnoticed by anyone, as Ford made it in secret for lulz one day, but now Delores knows about it and changed its "coordinates" so no humans could ever find it anyway. Even though no humans knew about it at all to begin with.

Now, you could just stop there and tap out but let's keep going:

William's quest all along is to...kill himself, both literally (which he COULD do at any point) and his digital self/profile/backup? Or is it to find out why he is the way he is? Is it both? Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe the one we've seen has been a host all along, or maybe the stinger was a simulation that all builds to the same moment no matter what like the Delos simulations.

Bernard kills Delores, but then puts her core into a host version of Tessa Thompson who even as a robot can't stop mouth breathing, Delores as Tessa kills the real Tessa, assumes her identity, leaves the park when the head of security also reveals himself to be a host (maybe?), goes to Arnold's house where she prints out her old body, presumably puts her brain core into that, but keeps Tessa Thompson's body around as well. Bernard also makes it out of the park and now the three of them (2? 2 1/2?) are in the real world, along with a few other cores and a  body printer so who knows how many hosts are in the real world now.

70% of the season focused on Maeve and her quest for her daughter, which had no impact on anything, was a complete waste of time, and all of her agency and seemingly magical powers and specialness were in fact all part of Ford's plan anyway, as she was his favorite, and his digital self that body hopped through the internet (although I think at that point Bernard had disabled him so it was actually Bernard's subconscious that told her this?) told her so. Her story, her liberation, the daughter, the trek to NipponWorld, all a complete waste of time and utterly meaningless on anything in the show.

Jeffrey Wright, this wonderful actor, spends roughly 80% of his screen time utterly confused and making utterly confused faces and that's how you know the show is cerebral. Oh yeah, and he ends up being revealed to have been created by another host, not Ford.

Oh, and the cowboy hats are magical brain scanners.

:lol

For all the twists and turns and BIG THEMES and all that bullshit, the actual story is some old dude got bored and decided to activate all the cheat codes and see what happens.
:clap :clap :clap

Borealis

« Reply #15525 on: June 28, 2018, 06:41:31 AM »
Westworld S2's best episodes were spent developing some sort of character like Delos in EP4 or Akecheta in EP8. It's particularly disappointing they've spent so much time creating a non-linear narrative with so little payoff. I think a lot of time was wasted in Shogunworld too.

Hopkins stands out again and of course, Wright is wasted as Stro points out. Something really needs to be done about incompetent Delos Security, because although I enjoyed most moments with the 'human' staff, those assault/combat scenes completely destroy any suspension of disbelief.

On another front, the last season of 12 Monkeys is shaping up well. Very happy to see a time travel show with multiple seasons worth of narrative planning in mind.
:rejoice

May jump the gun and binge all of The Expanse's S3 sooner if Amazon transfer the broadcast rights away before it's meant to drop on Netflix.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15526 on: June 28, 2018, 10:40:49 AM »
watching the expanse finale, fancy just showed up, so glad to see him :rejoice :lawd

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15527 on: June 28, 2018, 10:52:51 AM »
i forgot about the hats being brain scanners  :dead

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #15528 on: June 28, 2018, 07:21:05 PM »

:rejoice

Tasty

« Reply #15529 on: June 28, 2018, 08:43:26 PM »
Man I have like half the show to marathon before this comes back

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #15530 on: June 28, 2018, 11:25:12 PM »
RPDR:

why was Aquaria the only one smart enough to choreograph some shit? The other queens looked like they knew they lost
[close]

Borealis

« Reply #15531 on: June 29, 2018, 01:06:21 AM »
Young Justice S3 pushed back to 2019.

:goty

TVC15

« Reply #15532 on: June 29, 2018, 01:11:44 AM »
RPDR:

why was Aquaria the only one smart enough to choreograph some shit? The other queens looked like they knew they lost
[close]
What happened with Asia was even worse than I imagined when I read the spoilers. What was she thinking? She was like playing with her costume for 3/4ths of the song, in addition to the butterfly holocaust(/spoiler]
[close]
serge

Tasty

« Reply #15533 on: June 29, 2018, 01:35:24 AM »
Young Justice S3 pushed back to 2019.

:goty

Ugh.

This better have Tim graduating to Red Robin or I'll fucking riot. :bolo

Actually I asked Weisman about it on Twitter and he said the more tweets he gets about requests for s3, the less he's actually able to do (somehow.) :goty

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15534 on: June 29, 2018, 02:36:14 AM »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #15535 on: June 29, 2018, 07:25:38 AM »
RPDR:

[close]
What happened with Asia was even worse than I imagined when I read the spoilers. What was she thinking? She was like playing with her costume for 3/4ths of the song, in addition to the butterfly holocaust(/spoiler]
[close]
Yeah that did not go over well :lol

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #15536 on: June 30, 2018, 07:08:37 PM »
puppet girl in Oz is my favorite running gag in any show I've ever seen
每天生气

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #15537 on: June 30, 2018, 07:21:30 PM »
Westworld kinda sucked yeah

Beezy

« Reply #15538 on: July 01, 2018, 03:25:29 PM »
Has anyone else watched s6 of Voltron? Only 7 eps, but a lot was revealed this time around.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15539 on: July 02, 2018, 02:29:27 AM »
Power is back friends! So is GLOW!

Also new