Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2067110 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #19860 on: February 06, 2023, 12:18:15 AM »
Waltz managing some pretty creepy gawdamned eyes.

Tasty

« Reply #19861 on: February 06, 2023, 12:32:13 AM »
Christoph Waltz is one of my absolute favorite working actors.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #19862 on: February 06, 2023, 01:32:15 PM »
https://twitter.com/AirJSE/status/1619968030070677504

Watch TWD Season 11 and its amazing how Washington DC looks identical to exurban Georgia.
:O

Bebpo

« Reply #19863 on: February 07, 2023, 01:42:55 PM »
Last of Us ep4 was solid. Weakest ep so far, and looking at the eps to come pretty sure it'll be the weakest ep of the whole series because everything from next week until the end is hard hitters. But even as the weakest ep, the first 20 mins of post-apocalyptic road tripping was really good and a lot of the banter/bonding scenes were great.

For this season, mostly looking forward to the

spoiler (click to show/hide)
winter
[close]

eps and the final ep. Final 3eps should be amazing.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #19864 on: February 08, 2023, 09:06:42 AM »
Tried watching the last of us again.

fell asleep again.

More like the last of me.

:rodney

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #19865 on: February 08, 2023, 12:46:08 PM »

I don't know how to feel about this.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19866 on: February 08, 2023, 01:42:57 PM »
Cunk on Earth is pretty good

"Do we know if China has a roof?  Is there a Great Roof of China?"

Yea its quite funny
What

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19867 on: February 09, 2023, 09:49:00 PM »
Vox Machina was great.  It can also be surprisingly visually interesting despite the cheap animation. 

Bebpo

« Reply #19868 on: February 22, 2023, 01:12:50 AM »
Was thinking Poker Face was going to have a perfect season because every episode has been A+, but last week's ep7 with the car racing was super meh. Story wasn't good and the racing scenes direction was pretty poor. Oh well. I really liked ep6 about the stage play with Tim Meadows.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #19869 on: February 22, 2023, 02:09:53 PM »
finishing up walking dead

this show is so ridiculous and I love it.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19870 on: February 22, 2023, 03:24:23 PM »
Finally finished Welcome to Wrexham. My only complaint is that it was probably 6 episodes too long. Great series though and am waiting patiently for season 2.
Spud

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #19871 on: February 24, 2023, 11:20:44 AM »
Finished the Orville.

Every episode in S3 was a movie.

9.8/10

Highly recommended.

I hope we get more.
:O

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19872 on: February 25, 2023, 07:45:59 PM »
Cunk on Earth.

Haven't felt that uncomfortable for other people on television since Ali G.

"One of the reasons we still know a lot about the Romans today is Wikipedia."
 :jawalrus
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 07:50:06 PM by Potato »
Spud

Polident Hive

« Reply #19873 on: February 25, 2023, 10:00:22 PM »
Party Down started its 13 year delayed third season. Unreal how it feels the same. Not schmaltzy or watered down like other revivals tend to.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19874 on: March 01, 2023, 03:59:19 AM »
Watching season 3 episode 1 of The Mandalorian and oh my god whoever wrote the dialogue should be hung drawn and quartered.

When even Carl Weathers and Pedro Pascal sounds wooden and forced, you know you done fucked up.
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19875 on: March 01, 2023, 08:16:55 PM »
I can't wait until we get a mini-series that explores the lore of that big-ass alligator in a decade.  I bet his mother was a jedi and his father a star-crossed star destroyer.   

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19876 on: March 01, 2023, 09:38:49 PM »
Mandalorians are supposedly these feared warriors, but can someone tell me why, when faced with an overwhelmingly large but immobile enemy, they just stood within chomping distance?

I know, I know, suspend your disbelief etc, but fuck me that was dumb as shit.
Spud

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #19877 on: March 04, 2023, 07:22:45 PM »
Mandolorian was straight dog shit, kinda like the television equivalent of watching someone play the optional side quests before a mission.
(ice)

« Reply #19878 on: March 05, 2023, 12:24:11 AM »
Mandolorian was straight dog shit, kinda like the television equivalent of watching someone play the optional side quests before a mission.

The first episode for season 3 is all setup, and the critical drinker (youtube critic) is dead-on about how the show would translate effortlessly into a video game. It's one quest after another, get this to do this, and there's no sense the Mandalorian has any agency in it.

There are only eight episodes in this season and the first one is a total throwaway. I'll see the season through to the end, but it'll be because I like the characters and not so much because I have to see what happens next.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19879 on: March 05, 2023, 03:22:38 AM »
After Andor, everything Star Wars needs a reboot.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 06:33:31 AM by Potato »
Spud

Snoopycat_

« Reply #19880 on: March 08, 2023, 06:07:40 AM »
Started season 2 of Resident Alien. It's a really good show that seems to have gone under the radar. Probably cos it's not on Netflix.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19881 on: March 08, 2023, 01:24:41 PM »
Finished the Orville.

Every episode in S3 was a movie.

9.8/10

Highly recommended.

I hope we get more.

It's SO GOOD.

Good summary.

I liked it, but got to the end and wondered what the hell I'd just watched.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #19882 on: March 08, 2023, 01:33:37 PM »
Watched Flight Attendant, went in blind, and it was not at all what I was expecting, but I fucking loved it.

Watched both seasons over a weekend.  Kayle can get it.

I recommend this show to all the broken people, so like everyone here except Joe.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #19883 on: March 09, 2023, 07:56:43 PM »
2nd mandolorian belonged with the first half of book of bobba fett for how boring it was, I'm ready to drop it if the next episode is shit too.
(ice)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19884 on: March 09, 2023, 08:10:11 PM »
The robot alien thing was cool though. 

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19885 on: March 09, 2023, 08:12:31 PM »
2nd mandolorian belonged with the first half of book of bobba fett for how boring it was, I'm ready to drop it if the next episode is shit too.
I'm already hate watching.

It's pure drivel.

How can the script be sub-prequels levels of wooden and stupid?

They have also fallen back into the trap of instant hyperspace transition. The OT heavily implied it took a while to travel via hyperspace. At least enough time for ObiWan to give Luke some Jedi/force lessons. Now we have Grogu zipping across the galaxy and back in an instant. Thank you sequel trilogy for that bullshit.
Spud

Polident Hive

« Reply #19886 on: March 09, 2023, 08:51:41 PM »
You season 4 is anti-British propaganda. Everybody is noticeably less attractive than the previous American set seasons.

Bebpo

« Reply #19887 on: March 10, 2023, 07:47:42 PM »
Poker Face finale was good. Really close to the best season of TV in a while, even in these prestige TV times. Probably will be my favorite TV show of 2022. Outside 1 ep, which wasn't terrible, I really enjoyed every ep in the season. The highlights were probably the Stage play, Nursing Home, BBQ, though the Rock Band one had some great bits.

Very well written, acted and directed.

Also best Title Font of 2022.

I think probably my only nitpick of the finale is

The gag that nothing's changed and S2 is back to S1 premise again. I think would've liked it better if S1 had normal closure and then S2 did its own thing.
[close]

Tycoon Padre

« Reply #19888 on: March 12, 2023, 11:46:57 AM »
Party Down started its 13 year delayed third season. Unreal how it feels the same. Not schmaltzy or watered down like other revivals tend to.

It really hasn't missed a beat, just immediately back to the same bar of quality it left off at. New characters have been great too, the TikTok dude's subplots have been killing me. Such a contrast between this and something like the new AD seasons.

Bebpo

« Reply #19889 on: March 13, 2023, 12:30:46 AM »
Last of Us is done. Great adaptation. It’s not perfect, needed about two more hours and so some of the key sequences including the ending felt rushed, but it’s super faithful and Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey give fantastic performances and it’s mostly well directed.

I think the Bill episode at ep3 is still the strongest, but lots of good bits throughout.

The DLC really didn’t need an entire 50min episode to itself. It’s a very short story and the rest of the show could’ve used that time. Ended up being a bit of a boring episode too because it was so long. Probably my only nitpick.

I can’t fucking wait for S2 in 2025. Especially since it’ll be two seasons and hopefully be less rushed.

Bella Ramsey is going to fucking kill it as punished Ellie

That’s going to be her best actress award shot. That arc is emotional and heavy as all fuck and she’s a great actress.
[close]

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19890 on: March 14, 2023, 02:54:33 PM »
Luther: Fallen Sun is - as you might expect, just a longform episode of Luther, but one of the earlier seasons where it wasn't kind of confusing forgettable shit.
I'm pretty sure they start the film with some major retcons to the TV show, but like I said, the later seasons of Luther were shit, so I don't really mind that.

"Fallen Sun" has nothing to do with the plot. Even the unpunned version "Fallen Son" has nothing to do with the plot.

Andy Serkis is a pretty good villain, even if what he does stretches the bounds of credulity into full on super villain territory, but Luther has always existed in a kind of comic book version of London anyway.

The weirdest thing about it is it seems to be a stealth Pilot for a Luther reboot TV show, which you know what? I'm fine with that if Netflix want to splash the cash and keep it as good as early Luther and this film was.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #19891 on: March 15, 2023, 02:05:16 PM »
I watched a recentish episode of SVU where Olivia Benson domes (totally not) Sloppy Steve Bannon :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice
(ice)

« Reply #19892 on: March 15, 2023, 03:32:26 PM »
Mandalorian season 3 episode 3 took an odd detour. I'm not sure why it was done; considering how it concluded, the segment seems to have been a disembodied one-off. The digression takes up the bulk of the episode, and it'll be even more weird if it's not revisited.

We learn the fate of the scientist who experimented on Grogu. He's being rehabilitated by the New Republic, which seems generous as he's clearly a war criminal. Anyway, he yearns to resume his research and is lured into a trap by another ex-Empire operative.
[close]

I guess the sequence is par for the course with this season.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19893 on: March 16, 2023, 03:40:56 AM »
Mandalorian season 3 episode 3 took an odd detour. I'm not sure why it was done; considering how it concluded, the segment seems to have been a disembodied one-off. The digression takes up the bulk of the episode, and it'll be even more weird if it's not revisited.

We learn the fate of the scientist who experimented on Grogu. He's being rehabilitated by the New Republic, which seems generous as he's clearly a war criminal. Anyway, he yearns to resume his research and is lured into a trap by another ex-Empire operative.
[close]

COMING SOON to Disney+™: STAR WARS: NRSB (New Republic Science Bitches)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19894 on: March 16, 2023, 03:57:16 AM »
Oh man, considering I'm already hate watching, this episode is gonna be good.

:snob :success
Spud

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #19895 on: March 16, 2023, 04:03:47 AM »
andor was too good and somehow it all leads into a mediocre star war extended universe movie. can they remake that shiz with all the same people making the show?

I didn't care for dude ending up in the prison. seemed too forced. I was hoping it would turn out he got caught up on purpose on some mercenary for hire shiz. then it turned out the only people who sent him on his next mission was the writers  :picard

seemed like the prison story could have been told without main character who just got out of a crazy mission he was forced into  :doge
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 04:19:24 AM by team filler »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19896 on: March 16, 2023, 05:55:33 PM »

[close]

s3 e2 was weird for a number of reasons: odd original trilogy nostalgia callback for R5-D4, silly and unneeded "emotional" moment for Peli Motto and her Pit Droids. I like her fine, but this felt forced (no pun intended). But, yeah, those two hyperspace trips ending up being about 2 minutes or whatver, while Djarin is left in the cocoon —  wtf is with the perception of time.

In contrast, s3 e3 was a great bit of story building for the post-Empire world that the New Republic are building. Relegating Imperial forces to use a serial number instead of their names, keeping them sequestered in brutalist apartments, making them wear identifying clothes and badges… it all casts the New Republic in a different light than I'd expect.

Bookending that with Mando and Bo Katan was a sweet spot for me. I really liked the episode.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19897 on: March 16, 2023, 07:18:52 PM »
I didn't hate it either.

Had more in common with the storytelling of Andor than I expected.
Spud

« Reply #19898 on: March 16, 2023, 09:57:08 PM »

[close]

s3 e2 was weird for a number of reasons: odd original trilogy nostalgia callback for R5-D4, silly and unneeded "emotional" moment for Peli Motto and her Pit Droids. I like her fine, but this felt forced (no pun intended). But, yeah, those two hyperspace trips ending up being about 2 minutes or whatver, while Djarin is left in the cocoon —  wtf is with the perception of time.

In contrast, s3 e3 was a great bit of story building for the post-Empire world that the New Republic are building. Relegating Imperial forces to use a serial number instead of their names, keeping them sequestered in brutalist apartments, making them wear identifying clothes and badges… it all casts the New Republic in a different light than I'd expect.

Bookending that with Mando and Bo Katan was a sweet spot for me. I really liked the episode.

Disagree, especially about the digression and treatment. The New Republic could easily banish, imprison, or exterminate ex-Empire operatives, but it's attempting to rehabilitate them. The brainwash bits are problematic, but the show makes a point to highlight the mind flayer has a low, therapeutic setting.

We're three episodes in, and I believe Mandalorian has wasted a lot of prime real estate.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #19899 on: March 21, 2023, 08:15:54 AM »

Let's do this! @potatoe

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19900 on: March 21, 2023, 04:46:17 PM »
Can't wait
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19901 on: March 22, 2023, 08:02:33 AM »
The writing in The Mandalorian really is sub-video game quality.

That episode was written by Favreau and Filoni too...
Spud

Snoopycat_

« Reply #19902 on: March 22, 2023, 08:05:48 PM »
Finished 3rd episode of Last of us. It was very good. Took me a couple of minutes to realise that was Murray Bartlett from White Lotus playing Frank. I'm tempted to just leave it there because I have a feeling it was the best episode

Polident Hive

« Reply #19903 on: March 22, 2023, 10:54:01 PM »
Hear that’s the episode to watch if you’ve played the game and don’t care for a cliff notes telling of the same story.

Snoopycat_

« Reply #19904 on: March 23, 2023, 05:24:10 AM »
While I was watching it I was thinking now this would have made a great series. Those are great characters. Sad dad and emo were never really that interesting. Good enough for video games but the novelty was starting to wear thin during the 2nd episode. I'll probably keep watching for the giraffe scene.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19905 on: March 24, 2023, 09:32:24 PM »
Was this weeks Mandalorian just a deep fake over a season 1 Stargate SG1 episode? because it sure feels like it was made in the 90's.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19906 on: March 24, 2023, 10:01:55 PM »
It was shite.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #19907 on: March 25, 2023, 12:17:24 AM »
So what I'm getting from all this is all Star Wars TV is skippable outside Andor.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19908 on: March 25, 2023, 06:53:24 AM »
Season 1 of Mandalorian was fun as far as I remember. Very space western.

Andor is definitely the business though
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #19909 on: March 25, 2023, 04:33:48 PM »
Yeah, the only Star Wars TV I've watched is Mando S1 which was fine, and Bad Batch S1 which was ok.

Will check out Andor S1 before S2 airs.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #19910 on: March 25, 2023, 09:22:16 PM »
Not sure there's gonna be a second series, it's well regarded but I think it kinda floped views wise.
(ice)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #19911 on: March 25, 2023, 09:23:53 PM »
it needed more babby yoder  :snoop

Bebpo

« Reply #19912 on: March 27, 2023, 04:52:37 PM »
Not sure there's gonna be a second series, it's well regarded but I think it kinda floped views wise.

What

Everything I heard was it was a 24ep story they’re telling across two seasons.
Sounded like S1 wouldn’t work on its own.

Bebpo

« Reply #19913 on: March 27, 2023, 04:56:19 PM »

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #19914 on: March 27, 2023, 07:48:20 PM »
Aren't Disney going pretty ruthless with cuts tho? Doesn't sound like much is safe.
(ice)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19915 on: March 29, 2023, 06:45:15 AM »
New Mando episode was ok I guess. At least it wasn't terrible which is a step up for most Disney Star Wars stuff.
Spud

Snoopycat_

« Reply #19916 on: March 29, 2023, 07:26:03 PM »
Finished TLOU and thought it was very good. The 3rd episode was clearly the peak but the rest of it was entertaining. It's going to be interesting to see how a non video game audience reacts to the sequel if Druckman sticks with the plot.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19917 on: April 01, 2023, 10:14:01 AM »

!!!!!!!!!!!!
What

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19918 on: April 02, 2023, 07:08:36 PM »
Halfway through The Night Agent -- it's entering.  I can't say it's top quality, but 10 years ago this would have run on NBC and been 24 padded episodes instead of 10, which makes it so much better. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19919 on: April 03, 2023, 12:10:48 PM »
Finally watching LUTHER. It's pretty enjoyable. The tone shifts from season 1, to 2, to 3. Not in a bad way, but it feels slightly pulpier or comic-bookish as it progresses.