Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2067437 times)

Tasty

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #19680 on: October 28, 2022, 03:26:05 PM »
Yeah I miss that. No way I'm paying anything extra to see Black Adam. :lol

They were always up-front about it being only for 2021 though. And the new standard 45 day window is juuuust about bearable.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19681 on: October 28, 2022, 06:14:04 PM »
Severance was really great and one of the best scifi concepts I've seen in a long time.  Hope the next seasons can stay as good. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19683 on: October 29, 2022, 07:05:46 PM »
Nah. No thanks.
Spud

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #19684 on: October 29, 2022, 07:51:06 PM »
Severance was really great and one of the best scifi concepts I've seen in a long time.  Hope the next seasons can stay as good.

I def got my concerns. Great first season, one of the best in awhile TBH. But you can kind of see the trap that the writers may fall into. Which is basically "remember all those cliff hangers we had? Instead of addressing them, how about we expand the world and reduce the mystery? How about we open the season showing The Board. And how about we show some different city/area too." How deep does the rabbit hole go, basically.

Polident Hive

« Reply #19685 on: October 29, 2022, 09:56:38 PM »
https://www.netflix.com/tudum/articles/the-witcher-season-4-liam-hemsworth

Welp

Witcher was fun. But I get it. Had its peak with the fantasy gap GoT left. With it back and LOTR, getting into later seasons Netflix, and getting better opportunities. Might as well.

There was a story going around recently about the writers and co not being fans of the books or games. Coupled with stories of Cavill’s unsuccessful attempts to bring more of that in. Yeah.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19686 on: October 30, 2022, 06:34:36 AM »
Amazon Prime’s THE PERIPHERAL is really good.
Just finished episode 1. Really liked it. On to episode 2 now
Spud

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19687 on: October 30, 2022, 09:16:41 AM »
I'm waiting for full series of the Peripheral, as it seems like the kind of thing I'd rather binge watch.

Having said that, The Devils Hour is an odd one, because the premise is actually really good, but it doesn't fucking get there until Episode 6 of 6 hour long episodes.
This would have been a really great ~2 hour film leaning entirely into the framing of the interview with Capaldi and flashback sequences filling in the details as it went starting with 'the premise' and the interviewer trying to figure out if he's a serial killer or something supernatural.

As it is, its ~4 hours of kinda crappy mystery boxes and 2spoopy cliches of jump scare apparitions, kids being weird, and people talking to people that arent there / seeing premonitions of things etc, and 2 hours of decentish thriller.

Witcher was fun. But I get it. Had its peak with the fantasy gap GoT left. With it back and LOTR, getting into later seasons Netflix, and getting better opportunities. Might as well.

There was a story going around recently about the writers and co not being fans of the books or games. Coupled with stories of Cavill’s unsuccessful attempts to bring more of that in. Yeah.

As I understand it, Henry Cavill is a consummate professional, and by that I mean he'll do whatever for the paycheck, so I think it's more the WB Superman wallet is bigger than the coin Netflix will throw for their Witcher

Beezy

« Reply #19688 on: October 30, 2022, 11:26:15 AM »
The Goof Who Sat by the Door is a special Atlanta episode. Gonna miss this show.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19689 on: October 30, 2022, 09:39:05 PM »
The first episode of Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities was good.  Seems on par with Creep Show.  Looking forward to the Lovecraft episodes. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19690 on: October 30, 2022, 10:36:56 PM »
Second episode has Rodney from Stargate!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19691 on: October 31, 2022, 10:19:27 PM »
Episode 3 was really good.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19692 on: October 31, 2022, 10:45:20 PM »
After clearing so many other weekly episodes of The Peripheral, ANDOR, and others coming out, I'm finally going back to Breaking Bad.

The episode where Walt saves Jesse directly with his Aztec blew my mind. I was shocked. The episode after, with Young Walt and pregnant Skylar looking at their new house… the dialog there is so lovely, subtly setting up the horrible future they will both share.

Gustav Fring is terrifying. Esposito tells a story of being on a flight and waiting for the restroom, and a woman was terrified of him and asked him to use the restroom first. He tells her he's an actor and all, and she can acknowledge that, but her lizard hindbrain won't let her believe that there will be no repercussions.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19693 on: November 01, 2022, 01:39:26 PM »
The Midnight Club is really good; really solid premise executed very well, and not at all as YA as I was worried it might be - all the characters are believable and rounded.

Season 1 ends on a kinda sorta cliffhanger, and I'd love to see a Season 2, but even if that never happens its a really solid little stand alone anthology series with an interesting framing narrative, and the nice conceit of the storytellers also being the actors in the individual stories.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #19694 on: November 02, 2022, 12:51:49 AM »
Twenty four minutes into You Honor.

One, wow this is great.

Two, Bryan Cranston transforms like Ironhide.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19695 on: November 02, 2022, 06:46:28 AM »
What

Bebpo

« Reply #19696 on: November 02, 2022, 12:41:33 PM »
So this isn't a sequel to Trollhunter? Cause it looks pretty similar.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19697 on: November 02, 2022, 03:34:12 PM »
That's my understanding. They've certainly gone for a similar look and feel though.
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19698 on: November 03, 2022, 11:27:00 PM »

Looks better than Cloverfield or the last several Godzilla movies.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #19699 on: November 04, 2022, 02:14:39 PM »
Made me think of this movie.

Pretty good movie by the way.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19700 on: November 09, 2022, 07:01:07 PM »
Ted Lasso is good but it's also super cornball. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19701 on: November 09, 2022, 07:57:28 PM »
TED LASSO is like having a nice warm blanket on my lap when the room is cold, or a cup of hot chocolate. It's also got some fabulous character development throughout, and the path of Nate the Great is of interest to me. Looking forward to next season.

Breaking Bad, I'm nearing end of s4. Mike is probably my favorite character right now. Flynn/Walt Jr. has also had more room to shine. Some of the monologues feel like they were written for the stage, as a chance for actors to show off their command. It's remarkable. I feel like I have no idea where it will end by the series' finale.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19702 on: November 09, 2022, 08:18:45 PM »
Ted Lasso is good but it's also super cornball. 
That's intentional
Spud

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #19703 on: November 10, 2022, 06:46:00 AM »
Rewatching the office while I sit on my ass after work.

Into season 4. Some of the shit they said/did is fucking hilarious and in hindsight would get this show taken off the air.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19704 on: November 10, 2022, 10:09:34 AM »
I hate Marie. Jesus, she’s irredeemable.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19705 on: November 10, 2022, 12:46:33 PM »
Lol, Marie gets a bad rap.
Spud

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #19706 on: November 10, 2022, 02:39:11 PM »
When I saw Marie hauling in minerals for Hank, the only thing I thought was damn he must eat good pussy

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19707 on: November 10, 2022, 02:43:28 PM »
Nah, Hank would be a meat and potatos missionary man only. Oral only on special occasions. Marie had desperate middle class housewife energy and would have been down for some kink
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #19708 on: November 10, 2022, 05:33:21 PM »
I hate Marie. Jesus, she’s irredeemable.

I think Marie was supposed to be unlikable on purpose, while it was unintentional for Skylar.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #19709 on: November 10, 2022, 06:19:58 PM »
Nah, Hank would be a meat and potatos missionary man only. Oral only on special occasions. Marie had desperate middle class housewife energy and would have been down for some kink
he eats ass

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19710 on: November 10, 2022, 07:02:48 PM »
he eats ass
Steve Gomez would eat ass for sure. That man has seen some shit.
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19711 on: November 10, 2022, 08:39:48 PM »

I’m under the impression that she would be down to fuck in any of those real estate open houses in which she practices her pathological liar routine. It’s risk addiction, among other things.

I’ve just finished s5e1, and Walt’s arrogance must be fed by his misplaced feelings of invulnerability.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
That opening scene, where he’s in Denny’s on his birthday, driving the Volvo with New Hampshire plates, I know his aspect returns to furtive and vulnerable at some point. Ultimately I guess he’s at the mercy of his pride and arrogance. 
[close]
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 07:34:19 PM by chronovore »

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #19712 on: November 11, 2022, 07:15:19 AM »

I’m under the impression that she would be down to fuck in any of those real estate open houses in which she practices her pathological liar routine. It’s risk addiction, among other things.

I’ve just finished s5e1, and Walt’s arrogance must be fed by his misplaced feelings of invulnerability.

That opening scene, where he’s in Denny’s on his birthday, driving the Volvo with New Hampshire plates, I know his aspect returns to furtive and vulnerable at some point. Ultimately I guess he’s at the mercy of his prose and arrogance. 
[close]

God damn I wish I could relive season 5. jelly

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19713 on: November 11, 2022, 01:09:28 PM »

On of my favourites from the current series

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19714 on: November 15, 2022, 07:09:51 AM »
Finally got back to Cyberpunk Edgerunners.

Just finished episode 6. So damn good.
 :lawd
Spud

therealdeal

« Reply #19715 on: November 16, 2022, 08:19:58 PM »

On of my favourites from the current series

Ah nice I’m a couple series behind thanks for the reminder this exists

Tasty

« Reply #19716 on: November 20, 2022, 10:30:26 PM »

:gladbron

I'm resubbing to Netflix in January. :o

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19717 on: November 26, 2022, 09:56:56 PM »
Three episodes into Wednesday.  It is kinda strange because it has three tones which change from scene to scene.  The Addams Family with deadpan humour is great and a solid modernization.  Then it feels like the first two Harry Potter movies of a young kid exploring mysteries in a magical school, and this is actually well done too.  Then every third scene is straight CW.  Ortega's performance is absolutely killer though.   

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #19718 on: November 27, 2022, 06:02:50 AM »
I saw the whole thing (Wednesday) it's mid.  :larry

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19719 on: November 27, 2022, 06:35:19 AM »
Does it have the gratuitous non-nudity that CW is known for?

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #19720 on: November 28, 2022, 12:38:59 PM »
Lol, Marie gets a bad rap.

I like Marie. I like the idea of highly flawed characters. I know of several Maries in real life. I admit this is a reaction to the constant anger about the characters not fitting into convenient boxes while the show was airing. The amount of people that couldn’t handle any kind of nuance whatsoever was/is disturbing.
🍆🍆

Cauliflower Of Love

did i do that right?
« Reply #19721 on: November 28, 2022, 01:07:06 PM »
plus skylar was a bitch

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: did i do that right?
« Reply #19722 on: November 29, 2022, 01:25:15 AM »
plus skylar was a bitch

Skylar was putting the safety of her children before her love of an increasingly distant, selfish, delusional liar.

She felt trapped by his decisions. If she had been slightly more dedicated to that, and opted for abandoning Walt, she may have been able to go to the police earlier. Because she tried to reconcile her love for Walter and "solve" the situations he had created, she entered a slippery slope which trapped her even further.

She's not a "nice" person, but if that self-righteous pathological liar and busybody Marie is any indication, Skylar comes from a fucked up household. That'd be another reason she's desperate to keep the family together despite Walt's continued false insistence that they were not in any danger.

Remarkable show. Marie is great character, I just hate her.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19723 on: November 29, 2022, 04:07:04 AM »
I don't really get the hate for Skyler. I wonder what those who hate her would do if their partner was suddenly revealed to be involved in manufacturing a metric fucktonne of meth and had Mexican cartel arseholes threatening their families, but at the same time knowing they now had more wealth than they could have ever imagined?
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19724 on: November 29, 2022, 05:20:21 PM »
Right? Same here.

Except also add that your spouse is murdering people and lying about that, too.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19725 on: November 30, 2022, 05:37:26 AM »
Apparently Apple is looking to develop a Neuromancer TV series with Miles Teller as the lead.

That could be amazing or amazingly shit.
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #19726 on: November 30, 2022, 10:12:34 AM »
"Miles Teller? He's my favorite part of no movie he's ever been in!"
-Jay Bauman

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #19727 on: November 30, 2022, 10:39:02 AM »
Apparently Apple is looking to develop a Neuromancer TV series with Miles Teller as the lead.

That could be amazing or amazingly shit.

I'm still upset by how much money they pumped into The Foundation and then paired it with such a mediocre script

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #19728 on: November 30, 2022, 11:13:33 AM »
I don't really get the hate for Skyler. I wonder what those who hate her would do if their partner was suddenly revealed to be involved in manufacturing a metric fucktonne of meth and had Mexican cartel arseholes threatening their families, but at the same time knowing they now had more wealth than they could have ever imagined?

I would simply move to Thailand where the cartel cant find me.
:O

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19729 on: November 30, 2022, 10:43:26 PM »
Wednesday was more Harry Potter than CW in the end.  If they solve some of the issues for the next season, it could really be a great show. 

« Reply #19730 on: December 01, 2022, 08:43:44 PM »
Wednesday was more Harry Potter than CW in the end.  If they solve some of the issues for the next season, it could really be a great show.

It's an enjoyable show, and they kept it to eight episodes with very little filler. The main cast is really good including Luis Guzman as possibly the best Gomez ever.

I'd like to see another season. They set up the possibility of Wednesday having a stalker and returning to Nevermore Academy. I like the idea of Wednesday in a school setting, but that means we only get to see brief glimpses of Lurch, Morticia, Puggsley, Fester, and Gomez.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19731 on: December 02, 2022, 11:14:26 PM »
Book of Boba has a real KOTOR feel and I like it.  Just Boba-boy leveling up. 

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19732 on: December 03, 2022, 06:12:20 AM »
Finally started Euphoria. Three episodes down. Damn, didn't expect to like this so much.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #19733 on: December 03, 2022, 06:32:54 PM »

Still looking very good, still betting one this being the first legit quality adaptation of a video game to film.

Still fingers crossed this is a big hit for HBO and Mazin and Druckmann and the staff start on writing/filming The Last of Us II adaptation. I want to see the non-game audience react to that season. People will lose their shit weekly GoT/HoD style. Last of Us I's a good Walking Dead x McCarthy's The Road slower paced character driven trip, but Last of Us II's constant twists and turns will play really well to a TV audience.

I figure as long as this season is a hit there's no reason they wouldn't adapt II next? Like it's a no brainer. So hoping this succeeds and that happens.

Finally started Euphoria. Three episodes down. Damn, didn't expect to like this so much.

S1 is a mix of 10/10 hype and some 5/10 trash, but more of the former. Great season.
The two specials are great, with the first one being really great.
S2 is same mix of great and trash, but a lot more trash, so-so season.

From the behind the scenes stuff it sure seems like the series will end up total trash pretty soon. But who knows, will still watch it all.
Also, hot people.

Tasty

« Reply #19734 on: December 03, 2022, 08:35:35 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #19735 on: December 03, 2022, 08:37:02 PM »
I feel like they're gonna deliberately choose not to adapt Part II and will tell their own story. We'll see if I'm right.

Bebpo

« Reply #19736 on: December 03, 2022, 08:59:23 PM »
I feel like they're gonna deliberately choose not to adapt Part II and will tell their own story. We'll see if I'm right.

I could see them doing that but it would be such a huge waste since Part II is the more interesting tale, though I'd say Part I is the better executed tale. Part II is messy but there's almost nothing else like it in the gaming space.

I think more likely is they would do an original season that takes place between the end of Part I and Part II, since iirc there's a pretty big time gap between the games.

If the show is successful, I think they'll still pull a

LAST OF US II MAJOR SPOILER

Kill off Pedro.

Pascal is a big actor now, he doesn't have time to be attached to a show for a bunch of seasons.
[close]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 09:04:11 PM by Bebpo »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19737 on: December 03, 2022, 09:22:34 PM »
The last episode of Boba Fett :dead

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19738 on: December 04, 2022, 07:04:48 AM »
Netflix always cancels their good shows. We know this for a fact.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/midnight-club-canceled-netflix-mike-flanagan-1235447617/

Its a shame, but like I said upthread, its a very satisfying one and done.
I also get the feeling a lot of "Netflix cancels everything!" types fulfill their own prophecies by not bothering to watch new shows they assume will get cancelled and 'leave them hanging' which ties directly into netflixes very specific sink or swim renewal viewing data.

The only thing netflix does thats more egregious than regular tv channels, is theres no 'second life' option available for their own stuff - stuff regular TV cancels but that gets a cult following on (used to be) DVD sales / BluRay sales and nowadays streaming doesn't get that 'word of mouth' window so much on Netflix, even though they're obviously aware they have sleeper hits when something is lingering in the top ten for months on end without any real promotional efforts.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19739 on: December 04, 2022, 07:10:04 AM »
I did enjoy Wednesday but I am getting fucking sick of, like, every new fucking show Netflix produces being ostensibly YA shit about teenage girls in their BUT THIS IS NO ORDINARY! high school.

I legitimately cannot believe the only people watching Netflix are teenage girls or people who identify as / with teenage girls.