Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2063610 times)

Potato

• Senior's Member
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #19440 on: August 21, 2022, 09:43:16 PM »

Great ending, but Six Feet Under and The Shield both had better endings.

The Shield should have ended with season 5. Instead it dragged on and became absolutely unbelievable dog shit. It was literally a bunch of Scooby Doo episodes
You take that back. You can say that about dogshit like Sons of Anarchy, but The Shield remained great throughout.

The ending killed regardless.
Spud

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #19441 on: August 22, 2022, 05:28:03 AM »
Who didn't love emo Vic in series 6? :jeanluc
(ice)

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #19442 on: August 22, 2022, 05:36:29 AM »
stranger things was never a good show.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19443 on: August 22, 2022, 06:22:10 AM »
I think Sandmans problem with regard to budgetting is that it was never intended to be a TV series, and the way they're being almost slavishly faithful to the source material means there's not a lot of budget trimming they can do, other than hire unknowns for the cast or have CW level SFX.

Assuming similar treatment to S1, S2 introduces the rest of the endless, revisits Hell, introduces (at the least) the Norse, Egyptian and Shinto pantheons, would likely introduce and foreshadow the Faerie, and cover the consequences of the dead roaming the earth, ending with the appearance of Abrahamic angels.

And thats the first half of the season. the Second half is entirely Never Ending Story, with (again) mostly all new characters, all new sets and locations, and heavily CG driven.

There's really not a lot of opportunity to do a couple of bottle episodes to stretch the budget.

Tasty

« Reply #19444 on: August 22, 2022, 11:26:35 AM »
Maybe Sandman should have been animation?

Though that wouldn't have exactly saved it from cancellation at Netflix either, with everything happening in that field.

Snoopycat_

« Reply #19445 on: August 22, 2022, 07:17:25 PM »
[
You take that back. You can say that about dogshit like Sons of Anarchy, but The Shield remained great throughout.

The ending killed regardless.

That's very true. SOA was literally a Scooby Doo rip off. I stopped watching after an episode they were all running around a hospital, exactly like the Scooby gang.

Tasty

« Reply #19447 on: August 23, 2022, 08:21:33 AM »
Bruce Timm has had his own Loeb-like decline in the last ~10 years, and I don't get excited for JJ anything anymore, so I'm not too disappointed personally.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #19448 on: August 23, 2022, 09:49:42 AM »
The Rehearsal's season finale was so unhinged and wrong...I loved it. Looking forward to S2. I hope the show gets back to Nathan helping different people each episode though. I do like the over arching house/child/Amanda story and would like it to continue, I just also want each ep to include other people and things lol.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #19449 on: August 23, 2022, 11:09:06 AM »
https://tvline.com/lists/batman-caped-crusader-hbo-max-not-moving-forward-animated-urkel-holiday/

:(

Such a bummer. Was hoping this was going to be a real prestige project, bringing back the quality of what DC animation used to look like

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #19450 on: August 24, 2022, 01:26:40 AM »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19451 on: August 24, 2022, 07:40:13 AM »
Hm, lame.

Cant beat Christina Ricci

Also why make a show about Wednesday Adams.. I mean really?
What

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #19452 on: August 24, 2022, 11:12:14 AM »
you know why

jorma

« Reply #19453 on: August 24, 2022, 11:17:47 AM »
I thought it was because she's the best character in the family, but maybe there are other reasons?

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #19454 on: August 24, 2022, 11:27:13 AM »
I thought it was because she's the best character in the family, but maybe there are other reasons?

People on imgur and the like seem to have the hots for a grown up Wednesday. I'll give it a 80% chance that she and the blond quirky girl will hookup.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 11:35:03 AM by HaughtyFrank »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #19455 on: August 24, 2022, 03:58:30 PM »
*Looks up actress' age*

More hot goth girls. Gets a thumbs up from me.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #19456 on: August 25, 2022, 03:05:05 PM »
The Rehearsal finale was heartbreaking. I know it's kind of difficult to tell what in this show is fiction and what is real but that seemed very real to me.

Polident Hive

« Reply #19457 on: August 25, 2022, 03:11:53 PM »
Somehow found myself watching The Resort on Peacock…plus? Max? I’ll loop back to this. Went in blind based on the two leads but as the cast fills out, I’m noticing other actors I like and it’s a fun premise. Based on the pilot, anyway. In 2022 there’s struggling married couple who come across an old Razr at a Cancun resort. Digging into photos and texts from 2007, they’re desperately trying to find meaning and mystery to it. The parallel story is that story from 2007. Unclear if the 2007 events are their inference or the truth.

Anyway, was too tired to watch a full movie and noticed I had this peacock app on my TV. Clicked it and saw the thumbnail for the show. Struck me because I just saw the two leads in thumbnails for HBO Max shows. Really, get the bag. All these companies are spending to get streaming content. This is a show that’ll get lost between the cracks. Chances of finding another human in real life who has seen The Resort are nil. Strangely appealing to me.

Bebpo

« Reply #19458 on: August 25, 2022, 03:13:30 PM »
Yeah, I know one person that likes it.

Too many damn streaming services.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19459 on: August 26, 2022, 03:50:13 AM »
On the upside, when all these clearly-won't-survive streaming services die, the big ones that do will get a load of 'new' content to justify the sub!

Tasty

« Reply #19460 on: August 26, 2022, 11:26:02 AM »
On the upside, when all these clearly-won't-survive streaming services die, the big ones that do will get a load of 'new' content to justify the sub!

Library content only grows and generates further value over time. The various purchasers of MGM going back to the 80s realized this, particularly Ted Turner.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19461 on: August 26, 2022, 10:19:31 PM »
Hulk ep 2 was better.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19462 on: September 01, 2022, 07:12:44 AM »
The Sandman really took a turn for the worse after about 6 or 7 episodes. I was super keen on the "escaping and getting his shit back" storyline, but then it took a sudden turn into teen drama bullshit.

She-Hulk is surprisingly not complete shit and is actually mildly funny.
Spud

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #19463 on: September 01, 2022, 10:11:26 AM »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #19464 on: September 01, 2022, 11:37:58 AM »
“And this idea that anyone could know exactly what he would've wanted or what he would've liked is, I feel, nonsense."

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHA

Come on...

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #19465 on: September 01, 2022, 12:32:32 PM »

I had Peacock for 2 years for me because my mom had Comcast. I must have used it 4 times total.

I had Paramount+ for 15 months with the free Sportsline thing. I must have used it 4 times and hated it every time because the app is such a piece of shit.

I hope they die
:O

Tuckers Law

« Reply #19466 on: September 01, 2022, 02:18:39 PM »
Rings of Power’s writing sounds just absolutely wretched.  Even uber-shill Grace Randolph called this portrayal of Galadriel both a Karen and Mary Sue, a “Karen-Sue” if you will.

I’m somewhat interested in watching an episode now just to see how awful it is.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #19467 on: September 01, 2022, 04:12:12 PM »
She-Hulk 2 and 3 have been better than the pilot but the writing keeps being pretty bad. You can see where it could have been a better show with some good comedy writers but instead it has this kind of humor which can only really be described as "wine mom"

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #19468 on: September 01, 2022, 04:41:07 PM »

$750 million

Despite all their shitting on the fans this looks like your average Comic-Con cosplay  :doge
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19469 on: September 01, 2022, 05:11:10 PM »
I can deal with cosplay quality costume design and forced diversity. What I can't deal with is female dwarves. Tolkien would be rolling in his grave.
Spud

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #19470 on: September 01, 2022, 05:15:52 PM »
I don't know how or why any production would ever agree to do PR with entertainment weekly

https://twitter.com/WiseOldGarfield/status/1565232837111869440

Polident Hive

« Reply #19471 on: September 01, 2022, 05:31:16 PM »
What a lovely surprise The Resort has been  :leon

Can’t remember the last time I watched something sight unseen. Not even a recommendation. All I knew was the title and two leads. Going back and reading about the creators, it’s all clicking. I’ll hide who, but if I knew, I’d have expectations.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
It’s by the Palm Springs people and Mr. Robot guy.
[close]

Conversely, The Bear and Yellowjackets are two shows people pitched hard. Expectations have me wanting to go in with the right mindset. Not when I’m tired after a long day. I know it’s a dumb attitude.

Bebpo

« Reply #19472 on: September 01, 2022, 06:12:16 PM »
I wonder with $600M+ budget if Amazon will actually stream it with a decent 4k bitrate to make it look good.

Last Prime show I watched was Wheel of Time and it took them like 6eps to realize they fucked up the 4k encode and it looks like a VCD and then they fixed it for like the last ep or two and it just looked ok.

Meanwhile House of the Dragon being HBO's first 4K TV stream looks near-reference quality for 4k streaming.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19473 on: September 01, 2022, 09:24:24 PM »
What a lovely surprise The Resort has been  :leon

Can’t remember the last time I watched something sight unseen. Not even a recommendation. All I knew was the title and two leads. Going back and reading about the creators, it’s all clicking. I’ll hide who, but if I knew, I’d have expectations.

It’s by the Palm Springs people and Mr. Robot guy.
[close]

Conversely, The Bear and Yellowjackets are two shows people pitched hard. Expectations have me wanting to go in with the right mindset. Not when I’m tired after a long day. I know it’s a dumb attitude.

Yellowjackets is
really good
[close]

And The Bear is
too
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #19474 on: September 01, 2022, 11:22:23 PM »
Didn't realize LoTR dropped today. Thought it was tomorrow.

Watching ep1 and ....ok, this looks really fucking nice. That budget is showing. Why couldn't Wheel of Time look half as good as this and not like some shitty Xena budget fantasy show.

Bebpo

« Reply #19475 on: September 02, 2022, 02:31:26 AM »
Ok, finished ep1 & 2 of LoTR.
Not a LoTR fan. Only seen the movies. Don't know anything about the lore beyond that.

Was pretty solid, not as good as House of the Dragon, definitely not as good as Jackson's LoTR original trilogy. But solid start that looks and sounds nice. All the PoVs are interesting, no bad ones in there, but because there are so many of them the pacing is pretty slow since it jumps between them.

Lotta spectacle, cool looking stuff. Some nice art shots, though I feel like the entire thing is directed like a videogame cutscene sometimes.

Story seems kinda interesting. Looking forward to ep3. I think once things kick off in another ep or two it could be pretty cool. Production values are insane and the opening gives a good glimpse at the kind of epic stuff they can do with this budget.

Like the cast, though no one stands out so far. Everyone is solid though.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #19476 on: September 02, 2022, 03:07:38 PM »
Yeah some of it looks obviously green screened and fake, some looks superb. its probably the closest a series fx has come to a film, but not quite there.
(ice)

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #19477 on: September 02, 2022, 04:33:48 PM »
I can deal with cosplay quality costume design and forced diversity. What I can't deal with is female dwarves. Tolkien would be rolling in his grave.

Yeah where is her beard? :doge

Bebpo

« Reply #19478 on: September 02, 2022, 04:52:17 PM »
Couple of other thoughts on LoTR:

-Never remembered the elves in LoTR being particularly interesting, like them more here and more interested in seeing Elvish stuff.

-The main elf gal is sufficiently badass. I feel like there aren't a ton of badass female leads in fantasy, so she's great.

-So since I don't know ANYTHING about Middle-Earth history, I gotta say it feels like this is a weird middle series? Like from that intro it seems you could've done an entire show about the Elf kingdom and the appearance of Morgoth and coming to Middle Earth and the war against Morgoth. Like that seems interesting enough to be its own entire show. But instead we get the story after that but before LoTR, and I guess they are doing this one because it has more direct ties to LoTR with Sauron and the rings themselves so it's more of a hook for people who've seen LoTR.

-The dwarves in the Hobbit were really annoying. These ones are much better.

-It is kind of odd the entire cast is all actors that aren't really known. You'd think they'd have gotten a Sean Bean GoT S1 kind of well known actor to anchor it somewhere. Especially given the budget. I mean everyone is doing fine so far, just there's no big actor dominating a role.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #19479 on: September 02, 2022, 05:19:37 PM »

Yeah, from what I remember female dwarves are a thing but visually they're basically indistinguishable from the male ones. I guess that would have been one step too far for Amazon

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #19480 on: September 03, 2022, 10:06:23 PM »

Yeah, from what I remember female dwarves are a thing but visually they're basically indistinguishable from the male ones. I guess that would have been one step too far for Amazon
There’s even a joke in The Two Towers movie about this.

I loved both episodes honestly. It’s exactly what I want from a LOTR show and feels like the original trilogy.

Tasty

« Reply #19481 on: September 04, 2022, 11:13:00 AM »
https://twitter.com/guinnessfanatic/status/1566111120733110272

That's certainly one way to think about media I guess.

Tasty

« Reply #19482 on: September 06, 2022, 12:31:36 PM »

Tuckers Law

« Reply #19483 on: September 06, 2022, 04:37:51 PM »
Ted Lasso is worth a watch when you do.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #19484 on: September 06, 2022, 04:46:39 PM »
Ted Lasso is really good and take that from someone who should in theory hate it (an English football fan).
(ice)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19485 on: September 06, 2022, 05:09:32 PM »
I thought they got plenty of the football things right in Ted Lasso tbh. Obviously it's dramatised and played for laughs, but some of those old-school yo-yo clubs are basically run by a bunch of incompetent fools.
Spud

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #19486 on: September 06, 2022, 05:15:35 PM »
Yeah the idea of an American series about English football has me naturally :rage

But they did it really well. It has a rare charm to it too, especially in the content age.
(ice)

Snoopycat_

« Reply #19487 on: September 06, 2022, 08:26:35 PM »
Finished Saul. It was excellent. I watched BB again, then Saul and somehow managed to avoid spoilers. The worst thing about watching a show like Saul is you can't say your watching it because sure as fuck some wanker will say oh, wait til you get to the part where....

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #19488 on: September 07, 2022, 10:21:11 AM »
Paging Dr Oz, Paging Dr Oz

In case family members on a dating show together wasn’t weird enough, the show features a number of other inappropriate twists. We see relatives tag along on double dates, sibling pairs date other sibling pairs, and even two sets of twins date each other. In Episode 1, we also learn that not only will everyone be sharing a room at night, but siblings will sleep in the same bed as each other. And at one point a brother and sister pair are even tasked with convincing another duo in the house to guard the bathroom for them while they share a bath together. Why?? Because host Melinda Berry told them to.
https://decider.com/2022/09/06/netflix-dated-and-related-review/
:O

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19489 on: September 07, 2022, 12:45:22 PM »
I thought they got plenty of the football things right in Ted Lasso tbh. Obviously it's dramatised and played for laughs, but some of those old-school yo-yo clubs are basically run by a bunch of incompetent fools.

the weird thing that they really got right and is so super specific to brit footy culture you don't really see it anywhere else to the same extent that nailing it made the entire thing come across as 'authentic' was the football chants.

Like, that bit with "He's here, he's there, he's every fucking where" is like when a fucking action hero leitmotif kicks in in terms of underscoring the poignancy of that scene.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19490 on: September 08, 2022, 10:05:47 PM »
https://deadline.com/2022/09/fox-animated-drama-his-majestys-dragons-renewals-talks-the-simpsons-family-guy-1235110496/

Last year, Deadline revealed that the network was developing an animated series based on Robert C. O’Brien’s Rats of NIMH book series.

This project, which comes from Fox Entertainment and MGM’s Orion Television, will be joined by an animated take on His Majesty’s Dragon, a fantasy novel by Naomi Novik, Deadline can reveal.

The series, which is in development and has received a script commitment, is set during an alternate-history version of the Napoleonic Wars, in which dragons not only exist but are piloted like skyships and choose their own masters.

Bebpo

« Reply #19491 on: September 09, 2022, 02:27:34 AM »
Rings ep3 - Show is pretty good, definitely enjoying it. But I don't know if this works in episodic format with how it's paced and so many PoVs because it just feels like not enough happens in each PoV per ep. Maybe it would've been better to cut one of the PoV characters and save them for S2 so S1 is tighter and can slow down and expand with more characters in S2, or maybe they should've released all the eps at once. Idk.

Most of the scenes are good, though here and there you get a cheesy scene. The internet is gonna meme/troll that horse riding scene in this ep for sure.

Still looks zomg and the music by McCreary is great.

Himu

« Reply #19493 on: September 10, 2022, 03:13:31 AM »
Cobra Kai season 5 is amazing and hilarious as fuck
IYKYK

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #19494 on: September 10, 2022, 08:48:19 AM »
Rings ep3 - Show is pretty good, definitely enjoying it. But I don't know if this works in episodic format with how it's paced and so many PoVs because it just feels like not enough happens in each PoV per ep. Maybe it would've been better to cut one of the PoV characters and save them for S2 so S1 is tighter and can slow down and expand with more characters in S2, or maybe they should've released all the eps at once. Idk.

Most of the scenes are good, though here and there you get a cheesy scene. The internet is gonna meme/troll that horse riding scene in this ep for sure.

Still looks zomg and the music by McCreary is great.
I guess it'll depend on how big of a role these characters will still play this season, but at least in this episode the whole bit about Isildur and his sisters education felt almost hilariously unnecessary. I did not expect to basically have discussions about when and which college some teens will attend.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 08:52:20 AM by HaughtyFrank »

Himu

« Reply #19495 on: September 10, 2022, 09:27:36 AM »
Cobra Kai memorialized Olive Garden decades after PD's Olive Garden post. Ahead of his time.
IYKYK

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #19496 on: September 10, 2022, 03:17:02 PM »

Dis shit looks better than Rings of Power.  :lol

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19497 on: September 10, 2022, 04:29:35 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #19498 on: September 10, 2022, 05:19:59 PM »
Good trailers. Is Werewolf by Night supposed to actually continue into the MCU stuff or is it just a standalone thing?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19499 on: September 10, 2022, 06:01:49 PM »
I was confused about that too.  Guess we will see.