Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2046620 times)

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #19200 on: June 20, 2022, 11:20:29 AM »
I start watching ms marvel with my girl, and like 25 mins I keep walking away to do dishes.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19201 on: June 21, 2022, 05:27:36 AM »
Schitt’s Creek: I did not think this would be my jam, but it’s oddly heartwarming while being savage and ridiculous.

Beezy

« Reply #19202 on: June 22, 2022, 12:17:23 AM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19203 on: June 22, 2022, 12:28:12 AM »

Well, it's easy to see why that song is enjoying such a resurgence. Wow.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19204 on: June 22, 2022, 08:18:05 AM »

actually got me hyped for the LOTR tv show

Bebpo

« Reply #19205 on: June 22, 2022, 02:15:16 PM »
That is an ugly person

Tasty

« Reply #19206 on: June 22, 2022, 02:19:47 PM »

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #19207 on: June 24, 2022, 10:50:17 AM »
While I loved Obi-Wan it still amazes me that shows allow the "I'm just gonna walk away" after the fight.
rub

Polident Hive

« Reply #19208 on: June 24, 2022, 04:58:03 PM »
Amazon auto played that The Boys cartoon and I didn’t realize it’s an Animatrix deal. Not literally, but conceptually as an anthology. One episode imagines a direct adaptation of the comic with the Hughie inspired by and voiced by Simon Pegg.

Reminded me that Star Wars did it so I checked it out. Both, as with Animatrix and that Batman anime, are hit or miss. But I always enjoy the concept. Maybe I was too into Heavy Metal as a kid. Netflix’s Love Death and Robots is really cool, too.

Bebpo

« Reply #19209 on: June 25, 2022, 02:37:35 AM »
Even after finishing Severance still not sure if I like the show. It's one of those shows that's very annoying and the bad guys always win and the good guys progress is very minimal and slow and constantly getting shutdown. And then it has a total cliffhanger ending.

Basically will depend on how it eventually goes to figure whether this season was good to me.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19210 on: June 25, 2022, 06:27:55 AM »
Two episodes in to Ms Marvel. Watching with my 9 year old daughter. This show is fantastic and my daughter is loving it.

Obviously it's not for the usual Marvel crowd, but the story is really charming and the performances are great.
Spud

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #19211 on: June 27, 2022, 05:39:31 PM »
NBC has a lot of long clips (6 to 10 minutes, including the end reveals) of Columbo on YouTube so I've been binging those. Peter Falk is just a total delight in those and it's all top tier comedy. Columbo is one mean son of a bitch in sheep's clothing, especially with the sidekick that never got to be, Sergeant Wilson.
There's some third degree burns laying all over ("Some man do not like to look like an unmade bed, Lieutenant.") and in a way Columbo is a master class in playing a persona in society.

Some of the highlights / notable deviations :
- Columbo getting genuinely angry at Leonard Nimoy's contempt for human life.
- The Dead Weight episode where an eyewitness get gaslighted by the killer plus her toxic mother and jarringly by Columbo himself. She's really the central character of that episode, though.
- The Commodore which is an actual whodunit for once and looks... boring.
- The midly offensive Mexico episode with R.Montalban. Overall I'd say the show did age mostly gracefully on that front.

Though the show has plenty of moments where Columbo clearly acts different when not speaking to the killer, much more matter of fact.
The second, later run of episodes is clearly weaker (and Falk was getting really old) but cut like this it's less apparent. They clearly relied more on using gimmicks for episode (Columbo is a guest teacher at the university ! Someone wants to kill Columbo ! Columbo is a stage director reveal !).
Some of the reveals get a little flimsy and unrealistic (the whole multiple switcheroo of an object in the Louis Jourdan's épisode... Great scene though. Or the shoelace thing with R.Conrad) and they did recycle some bits.

- Peter Falk went to Romania to calm citizens there after the TV ran out of episodes in 1974 which apparently put them on the verge of rioting ?
- Two of the main creators for the show also produced Murder, She Wrote so you know... Respect.
- The aforementioned sidekick was reportedly a demand by the network, such as the dog Dog though this one had an infrequent but regular part in the mythology.
- I knew they tried to make a show out of Mrs.Columbo but I didn't know it was Kate Mulgrew they gave the role to.
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #19212 on: June 27, 2022, 05:56:30 PM »
Columbo :delicious

Himu

« Reply #19213 on: June 27, 2022, 05:59:16 PM »
Stranger Things 4 part 1 was incredible and I can't wait for part 2!

This season was great, although the jocks vs nerds storyline was a bit tired. It's the perfect combination of It and table top role play gaming. Just awesome storylines all around and the plot twist at the end is :delicious
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #19214 on: June 27, 2022, 05:59:36 PM »
The Lieutenant is a balla'
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #19215 on: June 27, 2022, 06:48:59 PM »
https://columbophile.com/2022/02/27/columbos-biggest-mystery/

This is an interesting opinion piece that is uncharacteristically critical of the show, one that takes aim at the generally believed P.McGoohan's influence.
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19216 on: June 27, 2022, 06:58:36 PM »
Umbrella Academy season 3 has been good so far.  The show still does annoying CW things like having drama due to characters not communicating and every season is a new existential crisis.  They handled Eliot Pages's transition pretty well.   

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19217 on: June 27, 2022, 10:20:37 PM »
I didn't even finish watching the first season but I watched the first 2 eps of season 3 and I hated it. But if it makes you feel better I also hated The Boys (but I still watch it), Ms Marvel (after two episodes), Severance (after 1 episode), and Obi wan (0 episodes)

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19218 on: June 27, 2022, 10:29:40 PM »
Oh and I hated Barry.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19219 on: June 27, 2022, 11:01:31 PM »
season 3 got pretty interesting at the end.  I like how all seasons have taken place over basically a month and how unhinged everyone has become because of it.  Certainly hooked me in for another season, even though there is a formula now. 

Polident Hive

« Reply #19220 on: June 28, 2022, 12:01:10 AM »
Watching the Westworld season 4 premiere. Realizing I retained nothing after the first season. Ten minutes in I paused to see the previous season recap video. Didn’t help. Confused. Will continue watching next week when I should cut my losses.

Tried watching Money Heist Korea out of curiosity. Stopped when I realized it’s a remake. But absolutely insane first four minutes. Lead is living in North Korea. She smuggles in BTS music. There’s a line about BTS fans calling themselves the “army,” but what sets her apart is also being in the North Korean army. South Korea and North Korea unify. She travels to South Korea for BTS. She gets ripped off and is stuck there. She’s upset when there’s a news report on BTS playing in Pyongyang. Somewhere along the way she turns into Robin Hood killing corrupt money lenders.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #19221 on: June 28, 2022, 11:42:18 AM »
There is a Westworld season 4 :titus

I fell off it hard about half way into the second series and haven't thought about it since.
(ice)

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #19222 on: June 28, 2022, 11:56:57 AM »
I hope Jesse makes it out of the drug den ok.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19223 on: June 28, 2022, 12:24:42 PM »
Columbo is great and pretty unique for a number of reasons;
 1) the whole 'reverse mystery' where its not a whodunnit or even howdunnit or whydunnit, but a howcatchem (like the great Dial M for Murder or Rope which I will always suggest as gateway Hitchcock); a really good whodunnit doesn't cheat by hiding necessary info from the viewer and letting you solve the puzzle for yourself, and obviously seeing the entire murder (and usually the motive too) scratches a different kind of itch on where they fucked up and how that might lead to their capture (or to the point where theres sufficient evidence for arrest or to get a confession, because Columbo has usually figured shit out very early on, and its a question of proving suspicion)

2) Columbo pretty unusually for detective tropes relies on emotional intelligence rather than analytical intelligence - he gets close to the suspects and learns their passions to help him get inside their heads and how they think, and deduces how they did the murder from there, and its usually intuition that has him flag the murderer early on. In a way its a prototypical 'profiler' show and you can almost imagine him squaring off against a hannibal lector type in a less innocent age as an underestimated will graham.

3) "My Wife..."

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19224 on: June 28, 2022, 12:33:56 PM »
season 3 got pretty interesting at the end.  I like how all seasons have taken place over basically a month and how unhinged everyone has become because of it.  Certainly hooked me in for another season, even though there is a formula now.

Its only Number 5 who's had one hellofa month - the rest of them had a bunch of downtime while stranded in '60s Dallas.
Shit, Klaus had an extended time span back in season one when he had a whole sojourn in vietnam.

Vanya / Viktor was dealt with fairly perfunctorily; plotwise / characterwise if that was gonna happen it probably should have happened in season 2, but its also not massively out of character to be tagged in on this season - the biggest :dunno was probably being picked as Best Man when Diego or Number 5 would have been a stronger choice based on the characters and how they've developed, but for different reasons. Also Viktor is still just as miserable a character as Vanya was; it would have been nice to see some change there.

Overall it was pretty eh - the cast still have a bunch of chemistry, the plot relies way too much on them all being fucking idiots, and I think the best part was the Big Picture scifi reveal they live in a simulation - I kind of expect the pay off to season 4 (if it gets one) will be a predetermination paradox reboot where they end up being the event that gives them all their powers in the first place, and basically hard reset back to season 1.

e: its also a weird coincidence that Klaus superpower turns out to be the same as that actor had in Misfits
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 12:44:06 PM by GreatSageEqualOfHeaven »

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19225 on: June 28, 2022, 12:42:58 PM »
Something I watched and enjoyed enough to recommend is Yellowjackets; its a split timeline show set in the 90s where a female football team plane crashed in the middle of nowhere and - as shown in the pretty fucking great pilot - all go full Lord Of The Flies to the extent you see them slitting someones throat while dancing around in animal costumes and masks, and paired with a contemporary timeline where some of those girls are in modern times as women living their lives keeping the secrets of whatever went on back then.

Most of the casting is great, with the teenage girls looking a lot like their modern day equivalents (with the exception of Juliette Lewis who presumably was cast on being sorta famous) so you don't have the kind of disparity you do in something like Dark, although you can stick inch thick librarian glasses and a poodle wig on Christina Ricci all you want, you're still not selling her as some unbangable uggo as the characters written (but both her and her younger counterpart do a brilliant job as smiling bunny boilers)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #19226 on: June 28, 2022, 01:20:49 PM »
I think a lot of the stories are somewhat fragile as far as the reasoning goes but AFAIK Murder, She Wrote and other whodunnit do "cheat" quite a bit on how level you really are as an audience as far as information goes. Though arguably Murder, She Wrote coasts a lot on the characters as well.

The part I think you'd have a hard time doing today is probably how heavily actor / character / dialogue driven for a "suspense" TV program Columbo was (though that's after the murder "procedural" intro) & as you said in a mostly emotional range. I haven't seen all the detective shows made but a definite trend has been to provide explicit, visual illustration of the detective's mind and his deductions (be it Sherlock or CSI) and/or to play up how extreme the protagonist and antagonists are.

In some ways that contrarian opinion piece I agree with, it's just such a strong format and character (and having the right actors) that it just carries through even when the scripts are not up to excellence.

Famously the creators claimed the were influenced by, among others, Porphyre from Crime and Punishment and Columbo definitely has that vibe of being a fairly delicate morality tale.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 01:37:24 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19227 on: June 28, 2022, 01:55:44 PM »
The most recent TV show in the vein of Columbo I can think of was the D'Onofrio vehicle Law & Order: Criminal Intent, which was ostensibly supposed to be based on Sherlock Holmes but was much closer to Columbo, as many of the killers you genuinely feel the detective empathises with and thats what gets him the confession.

I guess Hannibal too, if you go to the extremes of empathy and full on homoeroticism between the killer and the detective trying to get inside his head 🤔

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #19228 on: June 28, 2022, 02:02:37 PM »
Monk gets cited a bit too.
ὕβρις

Bebpo

« Reply #19229 on: June 28, 2022, 03:26:19 PM »
There is a Westworld season 4 :titus

I fell off it hard about half way into the second series and haven't thought about it since.

I really liked S1 and thought it was a good standalone season. Good finale, Hopkins rules. Great supporting cast. Got Jeffrey Wright to breakout into a ton more roles.
Heard S2 was meh so never got on board, heard S3 was worse. It's too bad because S1 was good. Also with Ed Brubaker involvement on the writing/story I expected better. Idk, maybe he only co-wrote S1.

Also pretty sure Westworld S2 flopping was why Dark Tower TV got canned by Amazon (well in addition to the Dark Tower movie being total franchise killing shit). Dark Tower TV, which is book 4, was essentially Westworld except with magic instead of robots. If Westworld was huge, pretty sure Amazon would've greenlit the full season from the pilot they made. But the timing was right around Westworld S2 flopping and pretty sure they didn't see a market for weird westerns at the time.

Polident Hive

« Reply #19230 on: June 28, 2022, 03:59:11 PM »
Westworld now is almost unrecognizable from season 1. What little I retained from season 3, continuing into this season 4 premiere, it’s cyberpunk happenings outside of the parks. Season 2, there’s one really good episode, Kiksuya. It’s almost a black mirror story disconnected from the main plot line. Not that I remember the plot line of season 2. The other moment from Season 2 is when they visit the shogun park. Not only because Hiroyuki Sanada pops up, but there’s a gag about the in-universe writers being lazy and reusing stories. Moments from season 1 in the western park are recreated in this samurai park.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19231 on: June 28, 2022, 04:39:52 PM »
Yeah S2 Westworld was actually ok and worth watching, but S3 is horrible and I wouldn't recommend to anyone

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19232 on: June 29, 2022, 05:20:15 AM »
The Orville remains the best Star Trek show.

Just finished S3E1 and I'm so glad this show is back.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 05:31:56 AM by Potato »
Spud

Polident Hive

« Reply #19233 on: July 01, 2022, 07:13:42 AM »
Other two episodes of Stranger Things are up. Season finale is two hours and twenty minutes long. Why not. They earned getting this indulgence from Netflix.

Tasty

« Reply #19234 on: July 01, 2022, 10:55:50 AM »
WestWorld S4 premiere reminded me how simplistic the show's writing is at the core, and especially the dialogue. So much exposition it felt more like a movie rushing to get to the end than an episode of TV... And it didn't end like a movie. Very odd. Don't know where they're going with the Delores subplot.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19235 on: July 01, 2022, 04:48:57 PM »
ST 4.8 was great.  Looking forward to the last episode at 2 and a half hours.   

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19236 on: July 01, 2022, 08:31:04 PM »
ST season 4 was so damn good. 

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I assumed they wrote it as they did so that they could have ended it this season.  Going to be really hard to top.
[close]

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #19237 on: July 01, 2022, 10:20:47 PM »
Can't believe the cancelled time travelers wife.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19238 on: July 02, 2022, 06:38:19 AM »
Damn Stranger Things was so good, I really want season 5 like right now.
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19239 on: July 02, 2022, 09:48:23 AM »
So its pretty obvious that Will is gay for Mike right?
What

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19240 on: July 02, 2022, 10:29:40 AM »
Yes.  Will's character and writing were so ridiculous this whole season, but in the end, I think I liked the change and as much as I was laughing at the ridiculousness of the let-me-show-you-my-painting-I've-been-carrying-it-around-for-9-episodes and 'you're the heart!', the emotional stuff with his brother worked.
[close]

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19241 on: July 03, 2022, 06:43:23 AM »
Stranger Things
 :preach :delicious :woooo
Also, any show with the Atlantean Sword is great in my book.
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19242 on: July 03, 2022, 06:00:32 PM »
Had a good laugh this morning thinking about those early Stranger Things reviews for season 4. So many dickheads desperate to be the first to say Stranger Things had finally jumped the shark. Turns out it was the best season yet.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #19243 on: July 03, 2022, 07:41:46 PM »
Y'all making me want to watch the show past season 1.

Anyone see Irma Vep? Had no idea what the show on HBO was until I found out yesterday it's a remake of a weird 1996 artsy but cool Maggie Cheung film and that the new show/mini-series is directed by the original film director remaking his own movie with a different spin. Sounds pretty interesting and reviews are good. Thinking about jumping in as next show I watch.

Bebpo

« Reply #19244 on: July 04, 2022, 01:59:26 AM »
I watched the first ep of Irma Vep. Was ok, but didn't seem particularly engaging. Seems like just another "satire that probably hits too close to home" what it's like to make movies thing. Probably not gonna continue on.

Also watched Baymax+ ep1 & 2. Baymax is one of the best Disney characters since Stitch, but idk, ep1 & 2 just feels too safe wholesome children's stories. Not clever enough humor to be interesting. Even though they're only 10 mins long probably won't watch the other four eps.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19245 on: July 04, 2022, 03:38:24 AM »
I burned through Baymax with the kids a couple of days ago. Your assessment is spot on, but it did get better by the end. Tied together nicely I thought
Spud

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #19246 on: July 04, 2022, 07:56:42 AM »

Anyone see Irma Vep? Had no idea what the show on HBO was until I found out yesterday it's a remake of a weird 1996 artsy but cool Maggie Cheung film and that the new show/mini-series is directed by the original film director remaking his own movie with a different spin. Sounds pretty interesting and reviews are good. Thinking about jumping in as next show I watch.

Oh Assayas is also behind the miniseries ? Never been a huge fan of his work (Irma Vep is already a 4th wall breaking snoozefest carried by Maggie Cheung) but the Carlos miniseries wasn't bad.
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #19247 on: July 04, 2022, 11:12:42 AM »
I heard good things about that older 2D BH6 show.

Quaker

« Reply #19248 on: July 04, 2022, 04:15:29 PM »

Oh Assayas is also behind the miniseries ? Never been a huge fan of his work (Irma Vep is already a 4th wall breaking snoozefest carried by Maggie Cheung) but the Carlos miniseries wasn't bad.
I'm having a lot of fun with it but most of it is from making goo-goo eyes at Alicia Vikander and admiring her outfits. I like Personal Shopper/Clouds of Sils Maria/Non Fiction but I can also see how they can feel like *pretentious jack-off motion* a lot of the time.

I don't understand how it makes sense financially though. Why would they bother with something that only appeals to a few hundred Film Comment readers.

Bebpo

« Reply #19249 on: July 04, 2022, 04:18:48 PM »

I'm having a lot of fun with it but most of it is from making goo-goo eyes at Alicia Vikander and admiring her outfits. I like Personal Shopper/Clouds of Sils Maria/Non Fiction but I can also see how they can feel like *pretentious jack-off motion* a lot of the time.

I don't understand how it makes sense financially though. Why would they bother with something that only appeals to a few hundred Film Comment readers.

So having not seen the original, is there any kind of a story that happens? Or is it just characters futzing around while making a movie.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #19250 on: July 05, 2022, 02:02:30 AM »
It's mostly Maggie Cheung sort of wandering around while sort of preparing for her role (including sneaking up in real hotel rooms in costume) in an homage to L.Feuillade's Vampire.
ὕβρις

Polident Hive

« Reply #19251 on: July 05, 2022, 08:15:32 PM »
Stranger Things S4 was the best since the first. Did a fuck yes fist pump at a certain scene. If they nail two things, it’s use of licensed music and character entrances.

Let Max be happy  :( The kid’s one of the best actors on the show but they really put her character through it. My thinking by the end is she’ll have powers, sort of. She had a moment of controlling Vecna’s mind realm thing. Now she seems trapped or lost there. She grows strong there.
[close]

Final season is two years away.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19252 on: July 06, 2022, 01:32:04 AM »
I heard good things about that older 2D BH6 show.
Big Hero 6 is well above average for animated movies.

EDIT: Oh just realised you were talking TV show, not film. My bad.
Spud

MMaRsu

• Administrator
What

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #19254 on: July 07, 2022, 08:56:58 AM »
 :yuck

Tasty

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #19256 on: July 08, 2022, 07:02:00 AM »
Last episode of Ms Marvel was fire.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19257 on: July 08, 2022, 08:35:54 AM »
Ya, it did a good job of relating the horror of Partition for a kids show.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #19258 on: July 08, 2022, 11:06:38 AM »
I noticed they didn't out make up on whats her face.

And was shocking when they went back to the MCU fight. And she had red cheeks

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19259 on: July 08, 2022, 12:41:16 PM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/charlie-cox-vincent-donofrio-echo-1235170929/

Let's goooooooooo!!!

Hopefully they take more cues on the character from the netflix show than from hawkguy