Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2064816 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #19020 on: March 16, 2022, 10:04:18 PM »
Fuck Nate, the little shit.

Read the arcticle. Nate needs to give himself a hug.
I did. Still, fuck Nate.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Article was good
[close]

You may need to give yourself a hug, for that matter.
I definitely felt the need to forgive myself, get past my dad issues.
:respect

Polident Hive

« Reply #19021 on: March 17, 2022, 12:10:45 AM »
‘Tokyo Vice’: HBO Max’s Ken Watanabe-Ansel Elgort Drama Gets Premiere Date; Michael Mann Directed Pilot

Not the biggest fan of Ansel but this trailer has me 100% on board. Very much looking forward to this now.

They got Michael Mann for the first episode  :jeb

Bebpo

« Reply #19022 on: March 29, 2022, 02:39:20 PM »
Moon Knight reviews aren't too hot.

This bums me out a lot since the directors Marvel got for this, Benson & Moorhead, are awesome and made three fucking great weirdo Lynchian but funny & charming w/heart flicks and weird Lynchian would be perfect for mental health issues Moon Knight struggling with reality while fighting crime. I have a feeling they didn't get a lot of, if any, creative control in the script process.

« Reply #19023 on: March 29, 2022, 02:54:49 PM »
In the Marvel vein...

I liked Daredevil, even the second season, which was the weakest. I can't be assed to watch the other shows building up to (and including) the Fake Defenders. Is there any thing to recommend in Iron Fist, Power Man, Jessica Jones, Defenders?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19024 on: March 29, 2022, 02:57:33 PM »
Jessica Jones season 1 makes the show a contender for best marvel tv series.  Season 3 is also good and wraps up the story well.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19025 on: March 29, 2022, 03:20:51 PM »
In the Marvel vein...

I liked Daredevil, even the second season, which was the weakest. I can't be assed to watch the other shows building up to (and including) the Fake Defenders. Is there any thing to recommend in Iron Fist, Power Man, Jessica Jones, Defenders?

All of those shows drag on for 5 episodes too many. Jessica Jones S1 was good, I believe punisher was good, but by that stage I had bowed out.
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #19026 on: March 29, 2022, 03:59:05 PM »
Jessica Jones season 1 makes the show a contender for best marvel tv series.  Season 3 is also good and wraps up the story well.

Yeah JJ s1 and s3 are really good.

s2 and the other shows are harder to recommend, especially Iron Fist.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19027 on: March 29, 2022, 06:28:12 PM »
The second half of Luke Cage did me in. Couldn't bear any more.
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #19028 on: March 29, 2022, 06:34:05 PM »
s2 was prettttty bad.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19029 on: March 30, 2022, 12:55:12 AM »
s2 was prettttty bad.
There was a second season of Luke Cage?

:donot
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #19030 on: March 30, 2022, 01:36:15 AM »
I enjoyed Daredevil S1
JJ S1 was ok but I was such a huge fan of the comic Alias I didn't like the adaptation changes and was down on it. Alias was sarcastically funny as hell. The show was too serious.
Luke Cage S1 was half good, half zzz
Daredevil S2 was just ok

All the Netflix Marvel shows were overly long and I'd fall asleep due to the stretched out pacing.
bailed out after that. Never saw DD S3, JJ S2/S3, Luke Cage S2, Iron Fist, Punisher or Defenders.

I may still watch DD S3 at some point just because I really enjoy Charlie Cox as Daredevil. And I like DD in terms of the comic character from the Brubaker run the show is mostly based on.

I think after Marvel gets Mutants going in the MCU they'll probably do an X-Factor Detective Agency show like JJ but more goofy and less serious. Hopefully with Layla "I just know things"

Tasty

« Reply #19031 on: March 30, 2022, 03:33:32 AM »
DD s3 is the best of any of those shows. I liked it more than s1 which I loved a lot.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19032 on: March 30, 2022, 11:55:21 AM »
Moonknight episode 1 was decent. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Polident Hive

« Reply #19034 on: March 30, 2022, 06:43:16 PM »
DD s3 is the best of any of those shows. I liked it more than s1 which I loved a lot.

Daredevil s3 manages to balance three engaging characters arcs that intertwine and inform the others. Look at the second season, you’re jumping from Punisher to Elektra and ninjas. It’s all over the place.

Tasty

« Reply #19035 on: March 30, 2022, 07:09:33 PM »

Daredevil s3 manages to balance three engaging characters arcs that intertwine and inform the others. Look at the second season, you’re jumping from Punisher to Elektra and ninjas. It’s all over the place.

You know a show's good when in a world of superheroes and ninjas they still make you chew your nails over a guy who's basically Generic FBI Agent Man #567.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19036 on: March 30, 2022, 07:22:20 PM »
I think I watched DD S3. Pretty sure I did.

Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #19037 on: March 31, 2022, 12:28:42 AM »
So apparently despite Benson and Moorhead because being announced last year as the directors/creators for Moon Knight, it looks like they just directed two eps, ep2 & ep4. They didn't create the series, they don't have producer credit and they don't have any credit at all on ep1.

But also apparently whatever happened wasn't a fallout between them and Marvel because the article I found on this says they were then hired to direct Loki S2. I feel like they're not going to get a lot of creative control there though. Still, I guess they're developing a good working relationship with Marvel. I wonder if having Anthony Mackie as their lead in their last film before these opened the door to getting them into the MCU director group. Pretty sure they are glad to be making $$$ since their indie stuff, while great, probably didn't make much.

Beezy

« Reply #19038 on: April 01, 2022, 02:33:25 PM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #19039 on: April 01, 2022, 03:12:52 PM »
 :yuck

Bebpo

« Reply #19040 on: April 01, 2022, 03:38:27 PM »
Moon Knight was GREAT

The way they are framing the plot as a way to adapt the character from comics into MCU is clever af. Feels more high brow than normal for Marvel.

spoilers for the comic character
At first I was like wat, Mark Spector isn't British, his name isn't Steven and he's a rich billionaire with a batwing and not some store clerk. At they completely retconning him for MCU like Taskmaster?

Then it's like oh crap, this isn't a Moon Knight origin story. We're jumping into active regular Moon Knight and somewhere along the line something happened and he had a mental break and created this split personality of Steven and we're telling the story from Steven's perspective to make it feel like an origin story and jump in place for newcomers.

And considering Mark Spector's main trait in the comics is his unstable mental health issues, it is completely in character for this to have happened.

Very clever way to bring Moon Knight into the MCU.
[close]

That plot setup + the darker violence makes it feel a bit more mature than what we've got in the MCU so far. Which is good, because Moon Knight is a more gritty character. Also first ep was very well directed and Oscar Isaac is fantastic. Excited to see what Benson & Moorhead can do with it next ep. The plot concept is very much up their alley.

Nuitangg

« Reply #19041 on: April 01, 2022, 05:17:20 PM »
Wasn't expecting the violence but the first episode of Halo was pretty shit.

Polident Hive

« Reply #19042 on: April 02, 2022, 06:26:51 AM »
Atlanta has been three for three this season.

Each episode, the theme or aim of this season gets stronger. I’ve no idea if it’s the final season. How it’s commenting on the network and large swaths of the audience isn’t flattering.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #19043 on: April 02, 2022, 06:28:25 AM »
moon knight, that was interesting, oscar isaac is my jam though

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #19044 on: April 02, 2022, 06:29:13 AM »
Atlanta has been three for three this season.

Each episode, the theme or aim of this season gets stronger. I’ve no idea if it’s the final season. How it’s commenting on the network and large swaths of the audience isn’t flattering.

I was explaining to the ol ball an chain about the tupac episode and she was wtfing the whole time with a smile. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19045 on: April 02, 2022, 08:48:28 PM »
Two episodes into Vox Machina.  It's a lot better than I was expecting, which was just to like it cause I like Critical Role, but I think it stands own it's own fairly well.

Borealis

« Reply #19046 on: April 02, 2022, 09:40:37 PM »
Loved Smiling Friends and liking a lot of Atlanta S3 so far.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19047 on: April 03, 2022, 12:25:32 AM »
Two episodes into Vox Machina.  It's a lot better than I was expecting, which was just to like it cause I like Critical Role, but I think it stands own it's own fairly well.
It definitely got better as it went on. I was ready to give it away, but glad I stuck with it.
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19048 on: April 03, 2022, 04:23:03 AM »
Ya, episode 4 was awesome.  Like how dark and violent they took it. 

Borealis

« Reply #19049 on: April 03, 2022, 08:11:40 AM »

:whoo

Narrated by none other than one of the only few Davids who matter.

Finally, something following the footsteps of Walking With...!

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #19050 on: April 03, 2022, 11:18:29 AM »
Moon Knight is getting review bombed on imdb:
spoilers so you can try to guess why
[close]

Quaker

« Reply #19051 on: April 03, 2022, 06:14:29 PM »
Yeah, great to have Atlanta back as a venue for Stanfield and Tyree Henry.
How it’s commenting on the network and large swaths of the audience isn’t flattering.
Can you elaborate on this?

(Seasons 3 and 4 were shot back to back. Amazon paid a shitload of money recently to Glover for a production deal so this might be it for this show.)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19052 on: April 03, 2022, 08:05:24 PM »
Finished Vox Machina.  Really solid.  Can't say it doesn't have wonky execution at times, but it did surpass my expectations.  It's also just really cool seeing an internet show I love adapted like this. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19053 on: April 04, 2022, 05:16:00 AM »
Started Archive 81, which is great. Unfortunately the galaxy brains  at Netflix have not renewed for s2. Apparently hit #1 in ratings, and was well reviewed but, no, the Netflix executives have decided they don’t want another Stranger Things, for whatever reason.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19054 on: April 04, 2022, 04:18:01 PM »
So was Peaky Blinders good or not? I watched the first (and maybe second episode? Can't remember). Didn't catch me at all, it just seemed like a worse version of Boardwalk Empire (which I should really rewatch one of these days).

Polident Hive

« Reply #19055 on: April 04, 2022, 08:31:22 PM »
Yeah, great to have Atlanta back as a venue for Stanfield and Tyree Henry.
How it’s commenting on the network and large swaths of the audience isn’t flattering.
Can you elaborate on this?

(Seasons 3 and 4 were shot back to back. Amazon paid a shitload of money recently to Glover for a production deal so this might be it for this show.)

My read is the three episodes addressing various aspects of a white liberal brand of racism, extending to corporate powers. It's always been there but it's feeling heavier now. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Cool how the seasons were shot together. The main cast all blew up. I'd be watching King Kong vs Godzilla and Paper Boi shows up.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #19056 on: April 04, 2022, 09:06:16 PM »
So was Peaky Blinders good or not? I watched the first (and maybe second episode? Can't remember). Didn't catch me at all, it just seemed like a worse version of Boardwalk Empire (which I should really rewatch one of these days).

Nah it's shite, it's basically prestige TV for morons.
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #19057 on: April 07, 2022, 02:53:35 AM »
Moon Knight ep2 was alright. Not as good as ep1 and didn't seem like Benson & Moorhead brought anything to the direction. Felt standard MCU. I think their strength from their films is their weird sci-fi lynchian stories and people having human moments in weird mystery settings and if they're not really involved in the writing in this it's not playing to their strengths.

Also not sure where they're gonna end this show and Moon Knight's inclusion in future MCU

Feels like they plan to keep the Steven personality around instead of just having Marc Spector / Moon Knight. In fact, given that Marc in this version wants this to be his last mission I wouldn't be surprised if they kill off Marc's personality in this show and going forward in MCU it's Steven. I think that'd be a bad way to go, but I figure it's either that or they'll just have him be the two personalities and two suits permanently as like a team going forward. I can't see them ditching the real Moon Knight suit though.
[close]

The one thing I'm a little bummed about, is that I always thought in the comics they played it sly on whether Khonshu actually exists and Moon Knight serves Khonshu and there are supernatural powers, or whether Marc Spector is just a crazy person in a batman suit and is imagining Konshu and the whole thing. This MCU rendition on the other is pretty clear about the supernatural stuff. Whereas I prefer the idea that he's just a mentally unstable batman punching people's faces off.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 02:58:34 AM by Bebpo »

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19058 on: April 07, 2022, 02:06:26 PM »
The one thing I'm a little bummed about, is that I always thought in the comics they played it sly on whether Khonshu actually exists and Moon Knight serves Khonshu and there are supernatural powers, or whether Marc Spector is just a crazy person in a batman suit and is imagining Konshu and the whole thing. This MCU rendition on the other is pretty clear about the supernatural stuff. Whereas I prefer the idea that he's just a mentally unstable batman punching people's faces off.

He's never been popular enough to really nail down the specifics, so writers have played with him over the years; like, he definitely has supernatural ties, because his debut was fighting an actual werewolf, he's definitely died and come back from the dead uhhhh quite a few times, but then so have a bunch of marvel supes who have nothing supernatural going on, to what extent he has actual powers is blurry, because most of the time he's just written as batman, but he's also had some 'phase of the moon' super strength, but again that 'super strength' still fell into stuff someone theortetically could do if they had zero fucks to give about how much it hurt or would damage them, his multiple personality stuff was originally just an analogue for bruce wayne / matches malone / batman identities, before it got blurry with to what extent those identities weren't deliberate, and its also kinda blurry if khonshu actually exists, and if he does to what extent hes actually directly involved with moon knight - I mean, there are a couple of other supes in marvel land who have multiple personalities, and only demonstrate super powers in certain personalities (Typhoid Mary, Legion) so whether the unexplainable shit is down to having a reality warper alternate is also kinda fuzzy.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19059 on: April 08, 2022, 05:26:35 PM »
Slow Horses is pretty good. Gary Old Man and Olivia Cooke

Tasty

« Reply #19060 on: April 13, 2022, 06:45:08 PM »

Fuck I'm a sucker for these types of covers. Throw in the diagetic guitar and on-point AMV-style-editing and I'm mildly hype.

Also lol two parts... just air it weekly (uninterrupted), Netflix. For real.

Tasty

« Reply #19061 on: April 14, 2022, 05:21:26 PM »

May 12 :rejoice

Bebpo

« Reply #19062 on: April 14, 2022, 06:11:24 PM »
Moon Knight is bad right now after ep3. Like the scenario writing is really poor which unfortunately is something that Falcon also had issues with and even Loki's back half though nothing like Falcon/Moon Knight. The dialogue writing is fine, but Marvel needs to get some new writers in their plot department because the plot writing is beginning to feel like their comics where it's just mediocre generic stuff to link together action scenes and glam shots.

Add in the messy direction in Moon Knight and all you have left is a good performance by Isaac.

Also really can't say I enjoy this take on Moon Knight in the MCU. In Ep1 it felt like they were keeping him in character with the violent punching the shit out of the jackel and the village stuff and car chase sequence. But now he's like a generic invincible super person that just takes multiple impalements and doesn't break a sweat? This is a far cry from his street level violent wealthy Batman with a Batwing everyone borrows that he is in the comics. They basically made Moon Knight boring and he's just a boring invincible superhero with multiple personalities now :\

This is like Iron Fist and Taskmaster all over again...MCU gets some stuff right like Kate Bishop or Shang-Chi and some stuff is like Fox "Galactus is a giant cloud" bad takes.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19063 on: April 14, 2022, 06:17:50 PM »
I really enjoyed Peacemaker.

I am also a fan of the Giffen / DeMatteis Justice League, which this more than anything reminded me of.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19065 on: April 18, 2022, 12:28:42 AM »

B99 minds? I’m excited but unsure how “bridled” that excitement should be.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19066 on: April 18, 2022, 05:15:34 AM »
Better Call Saul season 6 starts tomorrow.

Can't wait.
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19067 on: April 20, 2022, 01:39:13 PM »

big hype

Tasty

« Reply #19068 on: April 20, 2022, 07:18:06 PM »
https://variety.com/2022/tv/awards/yellowstone-taylor-sheridan-western-1235235606/

The show's not my thing but I always love seeing a creator rewarded for being true to themselves and their vision. Good article.

Bebpo

« Reply #19070 on: April 23, 2022, 01:04:38 AM »
Moon Knight is pretty boring. Like something about the action scenes/situations just feel like soulless PG kids stuff. The non-action stuff is alright.

Also now I want Legion to become canon in the MCU after they bring in the X-men and do some time travel/parallel world jumping shenanigans.

Tasty

« Reply #19071 on: April 28, 2022, 01:57:42 AM »

Super excited, season one was awesome!

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19072 on: April 28, 2022, 02:29:50 AM »
Funny female comedians? So it's like a sci-fi?

Tasty

« Reply #19073 on: April 28, 2022, 02:39:29 AM »
It's good. :)

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #19074 on: April 28, 2022, 10:06:07 AM »
Moon Knight is pretty boring. Like something about the action scenes/situations just feel like soulless PG kids stuff. The non-action stuff is alright.

Also now I want Legion to become canon in the MCU after they bring in the X-men and do some time travel/parallel world jumping shenanigans.

I've noticed alot of costume and set design in moon knight and Loki that was lifted from legion x.

That show was amazing.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19075 on: April 28, 2022, 02:09:42 PM »
I watched The Magicians because it was there and I've not really heard anyone talk about it, and it's pretty good.

It starts off as pretty much edgelord Harry Potter, but has a pretty interesting deconstruction of the fucking Narnia books of all things thrown in for good measure, and ends up as pretty much super camp Buffy.

Snoopycat_

« Reply #19076 on: April 28, 2022, 06:57:33 PM »
Well finished Justified. It was good. There were a lot of fun characters like Duffy and Dewey Crowe. I wasn't too sure about Timothy Elephant. I've never seen an actor who looked so pleased with himself. It was Ava and Boyd that kept me watching. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the reason most people did. Sam Elliot looked weird as fuck without his moustache. I read they're making a new series but after that shite Sopranos thing maybe they should leave it alone. It had a good ending. No reason to risk fucking it up.

Bebpo

« Reply #19077 on: May 05, 2022, 12:32:26 AM »
Moon Knight :\

Joins Iron Fist and Taskmaster as Marvel comic characters that got fucked in their MCU adaptations.

Tasty

« Reply #19078 on: May 05, 2022, 12:45:10 AM »
Wait not Oscar Isaacs, the greatest/sexiest living male actor of our time :noooo

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19079 on: May 05, 2022, 02:30:07 AM »
Anyone watching Better Call Saul?

I am going to have to re-watch Breaking Bad after this because I think BCS is actually better.

Michael Mando  :lawd
Rhea Seehorn  :rejoice
Tony Dalton  :klob

Spud