Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2059177 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #18840 on: January 10, 2022, 09:54:11 AM »
It doesn't.  It's enjoyable enough though and I liked seeing Miles O'Brien in it.  I watched that covid south park special (which was terrible) and the new lethal weapon episode of Sunny on the same night and it really made me appreciate Sunny's growth even when it's an aged show.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18841 on: January 10, 2022, 10:14:40 AM »
Man Dexter true blood banged out the hits, except for that one episode they didn't show.
Haven't been brave enough to watch it. Everything post season 2 has scarred me for life. Doakes got done dirty!!!
Spud

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #18842 on: January 10, 2022, 10:15:27 AM »

:titus

Tasty

« Reply #18843 on: January 10, 2022, 12:41:52 PM »
Euphoria is back.  :rejoice

Been waiting for S2 before I started the show, same thing I did with Succession. Expecting good things.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #18844 on: January 10, 2022, 12:51:50 PM »
Man Dexter true blood banged out the hits, except for that one episode they didn't show.
Haven't been brave enough to watch it. Everything post season 2 has scarred me for life. Doakes got done dirty!!!

I recently rewatched most of it, and it wasn't too bad, but like 80% of dexter happens in the first two seasons.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #18845 on: January 10, 2022, 03:09:32 PM »
This thread fucking depresses me. Talking about comic kidshit like Hawkeye, Wandavision and Peacemaker, or lameass fantasy book adaption shit like Witcher and Wheel of Time, and no-one has mentioned the only good show to come out of 2020: Station Eleven.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18846 on: January 10, 2022, 04:07:19 PM »
This thread fucking depresses me. Talking about comic kidshit like Hawkeye, Wandavision and Peacemaker, or lameass fantasy book adaption shit like Witcher and Wheel of Time, and no-one has mentioned the only good show to come out of 2020: Station Eleven.
Never heard of it. Whats the deal?
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #18847 on: January 10, 2022, 04:28:24 PM »

It's next on my watchlist after I catch up on a few other kidshit like Arcane.

Never heard of it. Whats the deal?

From what I understand it's a recent best-selling top-notch post-apocalyptic survival book that was adapted into a mini-series by HBO and adapted well into a top-notch show.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18848 on: January 10, 2022, 04:38:50 PM »
Sounds up my alley
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18849 on: January 10, 2022, 06:47:53 PM »

This looks like fun. Anyone watching it?

Quaker

« Reply #18850 on: January 10, 2022, 08:19:02 PM »
Hmm, I was really into it at first but a couple of bizarre character choices had me wondering whether it was a slicker, softcore edgy Degrassi. Not sure if it strikes the balance between being frank and honest about the struggles of adolescence and sleazy exploitation. Unfair, but the cringey Netflix movie he made with Zendaya and Denzel Jr forfeited the benefit of the doubt I was giving the show.

That being said, I watched the 2 special episodes the other night and the diner scene with Zendaya’s sponsor is good enough to make me think I might be too harsh on it.

Bebpo

« Reply #18851 on: January 10, 2022, 08:28:27 PM »
Hmm, I was really into it at first but a couple of bizarre character choices had me wondering whether it was a slicker, softcore edgy Degrassi. Not sure if it strikes the balance between being frank and honest about the struggles of adolescence and sleazy exploitation. Unfair, but the cringey Netflix movie he made with Zendaya and Denzel Jr forfeited the benefit of the doubt I was giving the show.

That being said, I watched the 2 special episodes the other night and the diner scene with Zendaya’s sponsor is good enough to make me think I might be too harsh on it.

Special #1 is the best episode of the show because it plays into Levinson's strengths. He's a very good director AND he writes good dialogue and gets good performances out of his cast. When Zendaya is monologuing it almost always works in the show. Good dialogue, good performance, good direction.

What Levinson is kinda of mediocre at is he can't write story plotting. It comes off as every edgy 90210/Degrassi/every HS show ever. The plot beats are really derivative and his Netflix movie had like no plot and was just dialoguing fights for 2 hours with nice cinematography. I thought it was fun and looked great but could've been better.

Euphoria is a weird show in that there are eps in S1 that I thought were pretty bad/cringy because they were plot focused and it was exactly that. But then the next ep will be brilliant. So it's sort of a mess, but the highs are so high and the show is so damn stylish it's still one of my favorite shows in the last bunch of years.

The reviews for S2 are a good deal worse than S1 with critics seeing the first 5eps of 8. Makes me expect the plot writing to be as cringy this season as well.

Nuitangg

« Reply #18852 on: January 10, 2022, 10:08:42 PM »
First half of Station Eleven is amazing. Surprised nobody's mentioned Yellowjackets.   Season finale is Sunday.

Bebpo

« Reply #18853 on: January 10, 2022, 10:13:50 PM »
First half of Station Eleven is amazing. Surprised nobody's mentioned Yellowjackets.   Season finale is Sunday.

Yeah, heard that's good too. But also heard it's just another Lord of the Flies-ish show. I liked that kind of stuff when I was younger (Infinite Ryvius, Battle Royale) but I don't find it as compelling anymore.

Tasty

« Reply #18854 on: January 11, 2022, 01:58:25 PM »

You mean 2021?

If so, I think you meant to say Hacks (or The White Lotus, but I definitely prefer Hacks).

Mare of Easttown was pretty great, too.

Damn, lotsa good TV last year.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #18855 on: January 11, 2022, 06:07:36 PM »
Yeah I was going to correct it but then I figured why bother it's basically one long year at this point. Probably including this one too.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18856 on: January 11, 2022, 09:13:57 PM »
So this is why Law & Order had to come back to keep its crown:
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1480603807121817612

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18857 on: January 11, 2022, 09:55:10 PM »
I didn't know L&O was coming back.  This is good cause I'm tired of sex crimes. 

benjipwns

« Reply #18858 on: January 11, 2022, 10:18:27 PM »
Sam Waterston is returning for at least one season.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18859 on: January 11, 2022, 11:31:42 PM »
I didn't know L&O was coming back.  This is good cause I'm tired of sex crimes. 

:jawalrus
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18860 on: January 12, 2022, 12:24:27 PM »

Looking forward to this

Bebpo

« Reply #18861 on: January 14, 2022, 02:35:04 AM »
Peacemaker ep1 was pretty funny. Forgot Gunn was writing & directing this himself. Quality seems as good as his feature length films so far.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #18862 on: January 14, 2022, 02:06:10 PM »
why is the movies thread pinned but not the tv show or vice versa?

I smell art elitisms.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18863 on: January 15, 2022, 12:21:13 AM »
why is the movies thread pinned but not the tv show or vice versa?

I smell art elitisms.

Have you forgotten the Great Pinning Scandal of 2019-2020?

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #18864 on: January 15, 2022, 01:32:09 AM »
apparently

benjipwns

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #18866 on: January 15, 2022, 10:53:55 AM »
:hyper
(ice)

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18867 on: January 16, 2022, 09:15:18 AM »
I'm still enjoying I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-The-Mandalorian, and I can't help but wonder if this is where all of the amateur toy designers that did a lot of the world building for Lucas have ended up (because it sure as shit wasn't on the ReSequels) because there's so much stuff thats naturally toyetic in the show.
You got your colour coded hipster cybord moped squad, you got Merc Not-Chewbacca, you got the Backup Hutts, you've got Baby Rancor Mount (with Machete trainer included!).

Weirdly the thing that really struck me as Boba was sat on the giant throne that used to be Jabbas, was how fucking comfy must an armchair designed to support Jabba the Hutt be for a non-Hutt?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18868 on: January 17, 2022, 10:31:32 PM »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18869 on: January 17, 2022, 11:10:57 PM »
Looks interesting. Let's just hope it doesn't devolve into big overpowered fight scenes with CGI explosions.
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18870 on: January 18, 2022, 03:30:27 AM »
Well, at least it doesn't look like "Marvel's BATMAN" like the original comics did...

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18871 on: January 18, 2022, 06:28:56 AM »
Like with the first trailer, I can't tell if his english accent is intentionally meant to make him / that personality sound distinguished mentally-challenged, but it does

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #18872 on: January 18, 2022, 06:39:49 AM »
Reminds me of Tom Hardy in that film with Gandolfini but the other way round :thinking
(ice)

benjipwns

« Reply #18873 on: January 18, 2022, 12:17:49 PM »
https://twitter.com/tonytost/status/1483146565741015040

On the other hand, if this is what was needed to create Firefly, I'm not sure we can complain.

edit: article: https://www.vulture.com/article/joss-whedon-allegations.html
A high-level member of the Buffy production team recalled Whedon’s habit of “writing really nasty notes,” but that wasn’t what disturbed her most about working with him. Whedon was rumored to be having affairs with two young actresses on the show. One day, he and one of the actresses came into her office while she was working. She heard a noise behind her. They were rolling around on the floor, making out. “They would bang into my chair,” she said. “How can you concentrate? It was gross.” This happened more than once, she said. “These actions proved he had no respect for me and my
n our second day of interviews, I asked Whedon about his affairs on the set of Buffy. He looked worse than he had the day before. His eyes were faintly bloodshot. He hadn’t slept well. “I feel fucking terrible about them,” he said. When I pressed him on why, he noted “it messes up the power dynamic,” but he didn’t expand on that thought. Instead, he quickly added that he had felt he “had” to sleep with them, that he was “powerless” to resist. I laughed. “I’m not actually joking,” he said. He had been surrounded by beautiful young women — the sort of women who had ignored him when he was younger — and he feared if he didn’t have sex with them, he would “always regret it.” Looking back, he feels shame and “horror,” he said. I thought of something he had told me earlier. A vampire, he’d said, is the “exalted outsider,” a creature that feels like “less than everybody else and also kind of more than everybody else. There’s this insecurity and arrogance. They do a little dance.”

Buffy ended in 2003, but his affairs did not. He slept with employees, fans, and colleagues. Eventually, his wife found out. In 2012, they split up. In Cole’s open letter to fans, she accused him of using feminism as a cover for his infidelities. “He always had a lot of female friends, but he told me it was because his mother raised him as a feminist, so he just liked women better,” she wrote. After learning he had been deceiving her for 15 years, she was diagnosed with complex PTSD, the same condition as him. “I want the people who worship him to know he is human,” she concluded.

I spoke with three women who dated Whedon after his marriage ended. In their stories, he was not the hero they had read about in the press, the one who wanted to see women in control; he was more like the cold-blooded men he depicted in his work. Sarah, a pseudonym, met Whedon when he was promoting Age of Ultron. She was a 22-year-old freelance writer who interviewed him for a pop-culture website; after the piece published, they began a sexual relationship. “He led me to believe he was single,” she said. One night she went out for drinks alone with a friend Whedon wanted her to meet. After the friend mentioned she had a long-term boyfriend, Sarah asked what his name was. “I’m dating Joss Whedon,” the woman replied. Sarah went into the bathroom and threw up. “What the fuck is he playing at?” she remembers thinking.
At first, the studio executives told Whedon his role would be restricted to writing and advising, but soon it became clear to Whedon they had lost faith in Snyder’s vision and wanted him to take full control. (A representative from Warner Bros. denied this. Snyder has publicly stated he left the project to spend time with his family; his daughter had died by suicide two months earlier.) Whedon, now installed in the director’s chair, oversaw nearly 40 days of reshoots, a complicated and laborious undertaking. From the start, things were tense between him and the stars. It wasn’t just that he wanted to impose a whole new vision on their work; he introduced an entirely different style of management. Snyder had given the actors exceptional license with the script, encouraging them to ad-lib dialogue. Whedon expected them to say their lines exactly as he’d written them. “That didn’t go down well at all,” one crew member told me. Some actors criticized his writing. By Whedon’s account, Gal Gadot, who played Wonder Woman, suggested that he, the director of the highest-grossing superhero movie at the time, didn’t understand how superhero movies worked. At one point, Whedon paused the shoot and, according to the crew member, announced that he had never worked with “a ruder group of people.” The actors fell silent.

The actors, at least some of them, felt Whedon had been rude, too. Ray Fisher, a young Black actor, played Cyborg; it was his first major role. Snyder had centered the film on his character — the first Black superhero in a DC movie — and he’d treated Fisher as a writing partner, soliciting his opinions on the film’s representations of Black people. Whedon downsized Cyborg’s role, cutting scenes that, in Fisher’s view, challenged stereotypes.​​ When Fisher raised his concerns about the revisions in a phone call, Whedon cut him off. “It feels like I’m taking notes right now,” Whedon told him, according to The Hollywood Reporter, “and I don’t like taking notes from anybody — not even Robert Downey Jr.”

Gadot didn’t care for Whedon’s style either. Last year, she told reporters Whedon “threatened” her and said he would make her “career miserable.” Whedon told me he did no such thing: “I don’t threaten people. Who does that?” He concluded she had misunderstood him. “English is not her first language, and I tend to be annoyingly flowery in my speech.” He recalled arguing over a scene she wanted to cut. He told her jokingly that if she wanted to get rid of it, she would have to tie him to a railroad track and do it over his dead body. “Then I was told that I had said something about her dead body and tying her to the railroad track,” he said. (Gadot did not agree with Whedon’s version of events. “I understood perfectly,” she told New York in an email.)

As for Whedon’s claim that he doesn’t threaten people, an actress on Angel told me that hadn’t been true back when she knew him. After her agent pushed for her to get a raise, she claims Whedon called her at home and said she was “never going to work for him, or 20th Century Fox, again.” Reading Gadot’s quote, she thought, “Wow, he’s still using that line.” (Whedon denied this too.)
Whedon says he cut down Cyborg’s role for two reasons. The story line “logically made no sense,” and he felt the acting was bad. According to a source familiar with the project, Whedon wasn’t alone in feeling that way; at test screenings, viewers deemed Cyborg “the worst of all the characters in the film.” Despite that, Whedon insists he spent hours discussing the changes with Fisher and that their conversations were friendly and respectful. None of the claims Fisher made in the media were “either true or merited discussing,” Whedon told me. He could think of only one way to explain Fisher’s motives. “We’re talking about a malevolent force,” he said. “We’re talking about a bad actor in both senses.”

Some of Whedon’s defenders proposed a theory: What if Fisher had been doing Snyder’s bidding? Without furnishing proof, they speculated that Snyder had tricked Fisher into thinking Whedon was racist. Or maybe Fisher knew perfectly well his allegations were bullshit. Either way, the actor and director had “manufactured a controversy” that made Snyder seem like a progressive ally while diverting attention from the fact that their early cut had been a disaster. Whedon’s advocates believed this campaign had poisoned Carpenter against Whedon, causing her to see the complicated story of their relationship as a simplistic narrative of abuse. “Once someone lights a fuse and people see there’s a flame, they run to it and throw stuff into it,” one person in Whedon’s circle said. (Snyder declined to be interviewed.)

In our conversations, Whedon was somewhat more circumspect. “I don’t know who started it,” he told me. “I just know in whose name it was done.” Snyder superfans were attacking him online as a bad feminist and a bad husband. “They don’t give a fuck about feminism,” he said. “I was made a target by my ex-wife, and people exploited that cynically.”
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 12:45:11 PM by benjipwns »

Tuckers Law

« Reply #18874 on: January 18, 2022, 01:55:01 PM »
 :thinking To think that a self-proclaimed male feminist with an inflated ego would have so many skeletons in their closet?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18875 on: January 18, 2022, 06:01:09 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #18876 on: January 18, 2022, 10:58:11 PM »
Finally finished Arcane. Show would've been so much better if it was self-contained. All the unresolved characters and plotlines really brought it down for me. Was good otherwise. Very anime but not anime.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18877 on: January 18, 2022, 11:22:56 PM »
I'm about halfway through Helstrom on Disney+ and still trying to figure out how this could get canceled. I really like it.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18878 on: January 18, 2022, 11:38:46 PM »
It was the last series of the old marvel TV wing.

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #18879 on: January 19, 2022, 04:41:38 AM »
titans s3 was as consistently shitty as it always has been, with maybe too much batman focus

finished expanse s6, seems to wrap up abruptly? has it been cancelled?

archnemesis

« Reply #18880 on: January 19, 2022, 04:58:48 AM »
Yes, The Expanse is cancelled. Apparently it was too expensive to keep running.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18881 on: January 19, 2022, 08:54:07 PM »
Finished the latest season of Always Sunny.

The Ireland episodes weren't all bad actually, even though the jokes were a bit too obvious and stale, it was better than the toothless, low hanging fruit topical stuff of the first ones.

The emotional side with Charlie though didn't really feel all that earned to me, because these characters are so spent at this point, they don't feel tridimensional anymore, still decent moment though.
I just don't think there's anything really left to say about this group of people.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18882 on: January 20, 2022, 08:03:57 AM »
I'm about halfway through Helstrom on Disney+ and still trying to figure out how this could get canceled. I really like it.

I think it being a comics property hurt it rather than helped it; the comics character is simultaneously kind of boring and also kind of an unlikable dick, and has never had an interesting or acclaimed run so it wasn't picking up any prebuilt audiences there, and anyone looking for a 2spoopy xfiles type show probably wasn't gonna be interested in something ostensibly based on the same stuff as the MCU is.

It's like I don't think Lucifer would have picked up an audience if it had made a big deal about BASED ON NEIL GAIMANS SANDMAN (which is a beloved character and acclaimed run and would have people mad it was a cop show with mild supernatural elements)

Bebpo

« Reply #18883 on: January 21, 2022, 03:12:19 AM »
Peacemaker is ehh, ok. It's trying to hard to be a normal story-based comic book show and ...it's just a so-so one.

The best parts are when it's being stupid and gags. Show would've been better if it took itself less seriously and just was a dumb comedy. Outside of ep1, the rest of the eps so far feel like C-tier. Watchable but that's about it.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #18884 on: January 21, 2022, 02:31:25 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #18885 on: January 23, 2022, 02:13:32 AM »
Finished Station Eleven

Fuuuuck that was good. Probably top10 TV shows of all time there. Gonna sweep the 2021 TV show awards for sure. I'm guessing it'll win overall best show, best lead actress, best score (goddamn that score by Dan Romer elevates every single scene), best adapted screenplay and will be up there for cinematography and directing. Maybe best supporting actor has a chance too.

I feel bad for the Last of Us show even if it's got good staff. Being a similar post-apocalyptic survival thing, also on HBO, coming a year after Station Eleven it is going to get compared hard, and I have a feeling it'll get stuck in the shadow of this. Oh well.

Also the title font is A++

It's too bad HBO doesn't do 4k or HDR/DV because that show is full of a lot of crisp nature shots of white snow and green brush. If they shot it in 4k (which I assume they did), if they ever release a physical 4k release of this I'd totally pick it up. Gorgeous show. Mackenzie Davis was so.freaking.good. Did not expect that from the few other things I've seen her in.

Station Eleven feels like the kind of once in a blue moon cinema events that are why the film format has been a global hit for over a hundred years. It's just why people watch movies & good TV.

And finished Ted Lasso S2 which was great, but Nate subplot was not so great. Still a quality show, had some good episodes/subplots but I think S1 was better and near flawless. Hopefully S3 is not too annoying in terms of some subplots. I saw a dating profile of someone that said they play D&D as a Goliath Barbarian based on Roy Kent and that sounds amazing haha.

Finishing up Star Wars: The Bad Batch. Fun little show. After this not sure what Star Wars thing I should watch next since I'm not a big SW fan. I guess maybe it's finally time to start on Mandolorian S2. S1 was kinda zzz with some high points though. Also I only watched the first samurai anime Visions short so I should probably check out the rest.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18886 on: January 23, 2022, 02:39:22 AM »
https://twitter.com/tonytost/status/1483146565741015040

On the other hand, if this is what was needed to create Firefly, I'm not sure we can complain.

edit: article: https://www.vulture.com/article/joss-whedon-allegations.html
A high-level member of the Buffy production team recalled Whedon’s habit of “writing really nasty notes,” but that wasn’t what disturbed her most about working with him. Whedon was rumored to be having affairs with two young actresses on the show. One day, he and one of the actresses came into her office while she was working. She heard a noise behind her. They were rolling around on the floor, making out. “They would bang into my chair,” she said. “How can you concentrate? It was gross.” This happened more than once, she said. “These actions proved he had no respect for me and my
n our second day of interviews, I asked Whedon about his affairs on the set of Buffy. He looked worse than he had the day before. His eyes were faintly bloodshot. He hadn’t slept well. “I feel fucking terrible about them,” he said. When I pressed him on why, he noted “it messes up the power dynamic,” but he didn’t expand on that thought. Instead, he quickly added that he had felt he “had” to sleep with them, that he was “powerless” to resist. I laughed. “I’m not actually joking,” he said. He had been surrounded by beautiful young women — the sort of women who had ignored him when he was younger — and he feared if he didn’t have sex with them, he would “always regret it.” Looking back, he feels shame and “horror,” he said. I thought of something he had told me earlier. A vampire, he’d said, is the “exalted outsider,” a creature that feels like “less than everybody else and also kind of more than everybody else. There’s this insecurity and arrogance. They do a little dance.”

Buffy ended in 2003, but his affairs did not. He slept with employees, fans, and colleagues. Eventually, his wife found out. In 2012, they split up. In Cole’s open letter to fans, she accused him of using feminism as a cover for his infidelities. “He always had a lot of female friends, but he told me it was because his mother raised him as a feminist, so he just liked women better,” she wrote. After learning he had been deceiving her for 15 years, she was diagnosed with complex PTSD, the same condition as him. “I want the people who worship him to know he is human,” she concluded.

I spoke with three women who dated Whedon after his marriage ended. In their stories, he was not the hero they had read about in the press, the one who wanted to see women in control; he was more like the cold-blooded men he depicted in his work. Sarah, a pseudonym, met Whedon when he was promoting Age of Ultron. She was a 22-year-old freelance writer who interviewed him for a pop-culture website; after the piece published, they began a sexual relationship. “He led me to believe he was single,” she said. One night she went out for drinks alone with a friend Whedon wanted her to meet. After the friend mentioned she had a long-term boyfriend, Sarah asked what his name was. “I’m dating Joss Whedon,” the woman replied. Sarah went into the bathroom and threw up. “What the fuck is he playing at?” she remembers thinking.
At first, the studio executives told Whedon his role would be restricted to writing and advising, but soon it became clear to Whedon they had lost faith in Snyder’s vision and wanted him to take full control. (A representative from Warner Bros. denied this. Snyder has publicly stated he left the project to spend time with his family; his daughter had died by suicide two months earlier.) Whedon, now installed in the director’s chair, oversaw nearly 40 days of reshoots, a complicated and laborious undertaking. From the start, things were tense between him and the stars. It wasn’t just that he wanted to impose a whole new vision on their work; he introduced an entirely different style of management. Snyder had given the actors exceptional license with the script, encouraging them to ad-lib dialogue. Whedon expected them to say their lines exactly as he’d written them. “That didn’t go down well at all,” one crew member told me. Some actors criticized his writing. By Whedon’s account, Gal Gadot, who played Wonder Woman, suggested that he, the director of the highest-grossing superhero movie at the time, didn’t understand how superhero movies worked. At one point, Whedon paused the shoot and, according to the crew member, announced that he had never worked with “a ruder group of people.” The actors fell silent.

The actors, at least some of them, felt Whedon had been rude, too. Ray Fisher, a young Black actor, played Cyborg; it was his first major role. Snyder had centered the film on his character — the first Black superhero in a DC movie — and he’d treated Fisher as a writing partner, soliciting his opinions on the film’s representations of Black people. Whedon downsized Cyborg’s role, cutting scenes that, in Fisher’s view, challenged stereotypes.​​ When Fisher raised his concerns about the revisions in a phone call, Whedon cut him off. “It feels like I’m taking notes right now,” Whedon told him, according to The Hollywood Reporter, “and I don’t like taking notes from anybody — not even Robert Downey Jr.”

Gadot didn’t care for Whedon’s style either. Last year, she told reporters Whedon “threatened” her and said he would make her “career miserable.” Whedon told me he did no such thing: “I don’t threaten people. Who does that?” He concluded she had misunderstood him. “English is not her first language, and I tend to be annoyingly flowery in my speech.” He recalled arguing over a scene she wanted to cut. He told her jokingly that if she wanted to get rid of it, she would have to tie him to a railroad track and do it over his dead body. “Then I was told that I had said something about her dead body and tying her to the railroad track,” he said. (Gadot did not agree with Whedon’s version of events. “I understood perfectly,” she told New York in an email.)

As for Whedon’s claim that he doesn’t threaten people, an actress on Angel told me that hadn’t been true back when she knew him. After her agent pushed for her to get a raise, she claims Whedon called her at home and said she was “never going to work for him, or 20th Century Fox, again.” Reading Gadot’s quote, she thought, “Wow, he’s still using that line.” (Whedon denied this too.)
Whedon says he cut down Cyborg’s role for two reasons. The story line “logically made no sense,” and he felt the acting was bad. According to a source familiar with the project, Whedon wasn’t alone in feeling that way; at test screenings, viewers deemed Cyborg “the worst of all the characters in the film.” Despite that, Whedon insists he spent hours discussing the changes with Fisher and that their conversations were friendly and respectful. None of the claims Fisher made in the media were “either true or merited discussing,” Whedon told me. He could think of only one way to explain Fisher’s motives. “We’re talking about a malevolent force,” he said. “We’re talking about a bad actor in both senses.”

Some of Whedon’s defenders proposed a theory: What if Fisher had been doing Snyder’s bidding? Without furnishing proof, they speculated that Snyder had tricked Fisher into thinking Whedon was racist. Or maybe Fisher knew perfectly well his allegations were bullshit. Either way, the actor and director had “manufactured a controversy” that made Snyder seem like a progressive ally while diverting attention from the fact that their early cut had been a disaster. Whedon’s advocates believed this campaign had poisoned Carpenter against Whedon, causing her to see the complicated story of their relationship as a simplistic narrative of abuse. “Once someone lights a fuse and people see there’s a flame, they run to it and throw stuff into it,” one person in Whedon’s circle said. (Snyder declined to be interviewed.)

In our conversations, Whedon was somewhat more circumspect. “I don’t know who started it,” he told me. “I just know in whose name it was done.” Snyder superfans were attacking him online as a bad feminist and a bad husband. “They don’t give a fuck about feminism,” he said. “I was made a target by my ex-wife, and people exploited that cynically.”
now I'm starting to like him  :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18887 on: January 23, 2022, 01:16:13 PM »
Peacemaker is ehh, ok. It's trying to hard to be a normal story-based comic book show and ...it's just a so-so one.

The best parts are when it's being stupid and gags. Show would've been better if it took itself less seriously and just was a dumb comedy. Outside of ep1, the rest of the eps so far feel like C-tier. Watchable but that's about it.

Watched the first three episodes and it seems to mostly be all stupid and gags, though.  ???

It's been pretty fun.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #18888 on: January 24, 2022, 02:19:54 AM »
Euphoria S2 E3 is like oh yeah, back to Euphoria being an annoying HS drama show. Lots of annoying subplots ^^; Ep still had some good bits at least.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18889 on: January 24, 2022, 02:37:49 AM »
Four episodes in to Station Eleven. It's starting to really come together now after being a bit slow to start.
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18890 on: January 25, 2022, 09:40:29 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #18892 on: January 26, 2022, 02:16:52 AM »
I wanted a good show not memes

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18893 on: January 26, 2022, 02:59:46 AM »
respect Beastmode, trashy  :pimp

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18894 on: January 26, 2022, 01:31:57 PM »
http://twitter.com/netflix/status/1485651105291845645

Looks like fun.

So is this a remake of the BBC show but with actual recognisable celebrities, not just UK C-listers and impressionists....?

Tasty

« Reply #18895 on: January 26, 2022, 09:23:52 PM »

Just got to this part in Euphoria, what the fuck? :lol :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #18896 on: January 26, 2022, 09:25:34 PM »
That whole episode is amazing.

Nuitangg

« Reply #18897 on: January 26, 2022, 11:19:25 PM »
Euphoria is the best thing on TV.  The music,  tits and dick everywhere.

Borealis

« Reply #18899 on: January 29, 2022, 04:30:24 AM »
Midnight Mass has a solid horror concept and great acting, but fuck me, the atrociously long monologuing just kills flow and some scenes for me.