Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2063266 times)

Bebpo

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #18900 on: January 30, 2022, 03:45:54 AM »
Finished Star Wars: The Bad Batch. Was good. Liked it more than Mandolorian S1.

But I have the same issue with both. They're both really episodic star wars planetary adventures. Like it's fine but it takes me 6 months to get through them because they just aren't compelling to watch the next episode. I feel like this is a very Star Wars thing of episodic planetary adventures.

Do Mando S2 or Book of Boba Fett have more of a binge exciting storyline?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18901 on: January 30, 2022, 08:02:56 AM »
I watched Vox Machina, because I get the premise even though I've never listened to their podcast or whatever it is, and I don't think its made for people who aren't already fans, because it was just a confusing lol random violence and swearing animu.

Will not watch further.

:idont

Do Mando S2 or Book of Boba Fett have more of a binge exciting storyline?

Mando S2 is annoyingly a string of stealth pilot episodes for other shows I guess disney want to make. Boba is more single story, but also disjointed enough to be highly episodic, bouncing between "That's me, Boba Fett. I bet you're wondering how I got here" backstory filling and glacially paced Boba takes over Jabbas old territory, with its new toy a week team assembly.

Bebpo

« Reply #18902 on: February 01, 2022, 12:57:30 AM »
Holy fuck Euphoria S2E4 is a cinematography tour-de-force.
So glad S2 is shot on film. All that colored lighting and up close face shots and grainy 35mm grain. :heartbeat

I hope someday this show gets a physical release in 4k.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 01:04:04 AM by Bebpo »

Tasty

« Reply #18903 on: February 01, 2022, 07:55:00 AM »
Only seen s2 ep1 but already the new Kodak glass was stunning in that episode.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #18905 on: February 02, 2022, 10:00:46 AM »
The new It's Always Sunny series came to Netflix and it seems about on par with the rest of the later series (one or maybe two really funny episodes, a shitty one and the rest are ok) maybe a touch better because there wasn't really an outright stinker imo. The Ireland shit went on 2 episodes too long though.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 10:07:41 AM by Pissy F Benny »
(ice)

Tasty

« Reply #18906 on: February 02, 2022, 11:27:02 AM »
Speaking of this week's Euphoria... whew man... Never quite watched a scene like that if I'm being honest.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18907 on: February 02, 2022, 11:55:25 AM »
What is the deal with Euphoria?  I thought it was a teen drama?

Tasty

« Reply #18908 on: February 02, 2022, 12:05:44 PM »
It got gud write and act

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #18909 on: February 02, 2022, 12:09:50 PM »
and cocks and tits, or so i hear
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #18911 on: February 02, 2022, 12:43:15 PM »
What is the deal with Euphoria?  I thought it was a teen drama?

It's a teen drama with A++++++ style and hot people fucking with lots of nudity.

I haven't seen Bridgerton, but from what I've heard it's like that if it was done Requiem for a Dream style.

Visually the style reminds me of a mashup of Soderbergh x Malick x PT Anderson
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 02:15:25 PM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #18912 on: February 02, 2022, 02:22:08 PM »
Also Euphoria can be pretty fucking funny at moments because it plays the whole "teenagers are dumb" angle often. Getting more laughs out of this than Peacemaker honestly.

One complaint I have about Season 2 is that after S1, Levinson said S2 would follow Fezco and Lexi and Ep1 came out swinging (literally) with that. But after ep1 they've been totally sidelined into having almost nothing at all and we're halfway through the season.

Considering since the cast are mostly all terrible people, Fezco & Lexi are the two most likeable characters in the show, it's a real shame they aren't getting more screentime like the main characters  :'(  I hope they do in the back half of this season, but gonna keep expectations low.

Also like half the cast has a death wish, especially this season. Gonna be surprised if the show doesn't trim some of its cast by the end of this season. Better not ditch Fezco though or people gonna riot. While it would be immensely satisfying if Nate died and the show could exist without him going forward, shows like this need a bad guy so I don't see him going anywhere.

And I still really dislike the constant drinking & driving with no repercussions in S2. That just feels really slimy to me if not also totally unrealistic.

Ep4 spoiler
spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's no fucking way Cal drove to that bar and back to the house in one piece
[close]

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18916 on: February 05, 2022, 11:22:02 AM »
Reacher on Amazon nails the book. Killing Fields is well handled in s1e1.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18917 on: February 05, 2022, 11:40:20 AM »
I didn't know that Reacher is out.  Hyped.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18918 on: February 06, 2022, 08:31:50 AM »
Watched Kevin Can F-ck Himself, which is the other recent show about deconstructing sitcom tropes, except this is the one that doesn't end with super people flying around in the sky shooting lasers at each other, and its pretty interesting in the same way the Frank Grimes episode of the Simpsons is - the 'main character' isn't really a 'bad guy', but to a supporting cast member who gets status quo reset every episode, they also happen to be the absolute worst thing ever.

It's a really solid watch - I think I'd have preferred if the whole thing had been played for laughs, but contrasting light and dark comedy rather than the comedy / melodrama pairing they went with, but it's an interesting show I'd like to see more of.

Beezy

« Reply #18919 on: February 06, 2022, 09:57:17 PM »
Tonight's episode of Euphoria, goddamn.

Tasty

« Reply #18920 on: February 06, 2022, 11:23:48 PM »
"Euphoria glorifies drug use!"

Euphoria: S2 EP5

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18921 on: February 08, 2022, 06:31:34 AM »
Finally finishing up The Orville season 2.

Not only did Seth MacFarlane make a better Star Trek show than Discovery, in the last episode he made a better Star Wars show than anything Disney has produced.
Spud

Tasty

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18925 on: February 08, 2022, 07:15:42 PM »
‘Tokyo Vice’: HBO Max’s Ken Watanabe-Ansel Elgort Drama Gets Premiere Date; Michael Mann Directed Pilot

When I saw Michael Mann attached, my head immediately went to "MIAMI VICE sequel in TOKYO." Then I remembered Collateral and realized what an amazing fit this is.

I wonder which service will stream it in Japan. Amazon picks up western HBO content a year after it's been on that service, but as a Japanese production there's no telling where it will land. If WOWWOW tries to make it an exclusive, they'll fail.

Tasty

« Reply #18926 on: February 08, 2022, 09:29:35 PM »
‘Tokyo Vice’: HBO Max’s Ken Watanabe-Ansel Elgort Drama Gets Premiere Date; Michael Mann Directed Pilot

When I saw Michael Mann attached, my head immediately went to "MIAMI VICE sequel in TOKYO." Then I remembered Collateral and realized what an amazing fit this is.

I wonder which service will stream it in Japan. Amazon picks up western HBO content a year after it's been on that service, but as a Japanese production there's no telling where it will land. If WOWWOW tries to make it an exclusive, they'll fail.

"U-Next"?

https://variety.com/2021/streaming/asia/hbo-max-content-japan-u-next-platform-1234941502/

Tasty

« Reply #18927 on: February 08, 2022, 09:30:22 PM »
Someone tell the guys in Japan U-Next sounds like Eunuch.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18928 on: February 08, 2022, 09:31:53 PM »
Someone needs to tell Japan that U-Next exists. I don't think I've even heard of them.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #18929 on: February 09, 2022, 01:54:34 PM »
Oh dear god no Babylon 5 is getting a reboot.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #18930 on: February 09, 2022, 02:08:16 PM »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

Tasty

« Reply #18932 on: February 09, 2022, 11:01:59 PM »
😒

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18933 on: February 09, 2022, 11:06:24 PM »
Little more news, going to be 20 episodes. Pretty much everyone you'd expect is back.

Tasty

« Reply #18934 on: February 10, 2022, 09:59:58 PM »

Fuck yeah :preach

Weisman is DC's Dave Filoni except a much better writer.

Bebpo

« Reply #18937 on: February 13, 2022, 02:41:20 PM »
I finished Netflix Cowboy Bebop last night.

Honestly, I enjoyed it overall, but it was a 7/10.

Cast and Cast Dynamic = great. Faye is not anime-Faye, but she's fine in this version of the story. Vicious was unfortunately miscast, he's just too much of an obnoxious punchable face even when he has normal hair.

Story structure = good. I actually think, the way the season is plotted and the eps play out, even all the extra Vicious stuff, is pretty well done. The vicious stuff makes sense in the end since they're going for two separate character arcs (Spike & Vicious) that come together for the finale.

Directing = ok. I was going to say "good" until I got to the flashback ep. This director cannot do any of the Noir stuff. The flashback ep was very poorly directed. Same with Jett's flashback ep. A better director would've had slow-mo, smoke and maybe gone B&W. Directing is decent, but very CW.

Writing = bad. The story beats are fine, but the dialogue is pretty bad. A lot of the cast issues & memes are just a good cast working with bad dialogue. A lot of the dialogue is stupid juvenile like a 15 year old kid wrote it.

In the end I'd say that on its own it's a 7/10, but in the rankings of anime & videogame adaptations to live-action, including all the Japanese live-action films adapting manga/anime, that it's pretty good and probably in the upper 30% of adaptations quality-wise. I was satisfied as a fan of the anime.

I'm not going to say that this was the best anyone could expect from a live-action version of Cowboy Bebop, because I think with a different writer and a more stylish director it could have been better, but I will say it was better than I expected and the anime fans troll train of memes was pretty stupid and basically just a "It's not exactly what I want so I hate it".

That being said it's fine there's no S2. S1 covered a truncated version of the entire anime. I was worried it wouldn't cover the whole thing, but it did in its own version and it's fine as it is.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18938 on: February 13, 2022, 09:28:02 PM »

Tasty

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18940 on: February 14, 2022, 01:46:05 AM »
It's weird how much difference an app makes in whether or not I visit a service. Japan's using an old branch of the Amazon Prime Video Streaming App, and it's unintuitive, unresponsive, and has a bug where half the time I start a video it fails to display any visuals, just a black screen and sound. Once a week it gets up its own ass with licensing problems and decides to abort whatever it's playing and drop back to the title page.

Netflix is a bit slow on any initial load, but otherwise runs well and has never once crashed.

Disney+ is peppy and smooth. The only problems are it sometimes doesn't understand that a video has ended, so it keeps it on the "Continue watching" feed, and also Motorcity isn't listed even though it's a Disney XD title.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #18941 on: February 14, 2022, 09:46:13 AM »

never has something looked more like what i expected.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #18942 on: February 14, 2022, 11:29:05 AM »
 :nope

Snoopycat_

« Reply #18943 on: February 14, 2022, 09:55:49 PM »
Louis Theroux's got a new series out. In the 1st episode he spends time with literal morons. People so genuinely stupid they're like Ben Stiller characters. It's kind of amazing they haven't been shot

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18944 on: February 14, 2022, 10:51:09 PM »

never has something looked more like what i expected.
To me it looks like it will sit somewhere between LotR and The Hobbit. There is plenty of CGI fuckery, but there seems to be some decent quality dispersed in between.
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18945 on: February 15, 2022, 02:08:22 AM »
I'm reminded that The Hobbit was a very pretty movie, but I don't enjoy watching those, either.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18946 on: February 15, 2022, 04:41:04 AM »
I just hope they go for a more grounded approach and limit the elf-ninja shit and the dwarf tank shit.

Ability/power creep was a real problem across the whole series of films, but especially The Hobbit.
Spud

Svejk

« Reply #18947 on: February 15, 2022, 09:13:45 AM »
"Evil cannot create anything new, it can only distort and destroy what was invented or created by the forces of good" ~J. R. R. Tolkien

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18948 on: February 17, 2022, 07:03:01 PM »
Reacher episode 1 was great.  Also, the girl cop is damn hot. 

edit:  Kristin Kreuk doing a southern accent  :dead
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 07:24:45 PM by Madrun Badrun »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18949 on: February 17, 2022, 10:27:23 PM »
Reacher is cornball in the best way. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18950 on: February 17, 2022, 10:44:12 PM »
OMG the zoom in on the zoom in 'kinda look like a diamond'  scene :dead

archnemesis

« Reply #18951 on: February 18, 2022, 02:56:42 AM »
I really enjoyed Reacher and I'm happy it got renewed for another season. It also made me want to pick up another Reacher novel.

Polident Hive

« Reply #18952 on: February 18, 2022, 04:31:19 AM »
Reacher is a lot of fun in that late 2000s USA show way, with TV-MA violence, nudity, and language.

Got me to rewatch the first Tom Cruise movie. Really good. Is it pedantic to bring up the height thing? Sure. But between the books and new show having Reacher be this ogre man- camera tricks and step stools can only make Cruise 30% the way to intimidating.

Of a similar story of some overdog showing up to a small town and throwing a wrench into someone's plan, been trying to get through Netflix Punisher season 2. Whatever the cause for shorter streaming seasons, six, eight, ten episodes. It's done wonders for pacing. This is only thirteen episodes and it's feeling dragged out.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18953 on: February 18, 2022, 10:57:50 AM »
I liked it a lot.  The last episode is basically a c-tier 80's action movie.  I haven't read the books but my guess is this is a pretty close adoption? because a lot of it feels dated in terms of character portrayals.  There is something very ridiculous about a giant 10/10 stud-man who can do anything and kill everyone just doing his thing in what is otherwise a normal police procedural.  Like they made James Bond a small town cop and played it off as totally authentic.  The Cruise movies had more gravitas and I think that is because they were modernized.

archnemesis

« Reply #18954 on: February 18, 2022, 11:49:08 AM »
I haven't read the books but my guess is this is a pretty close adoption?
I've read maybe seven novels and yes it's close. Reacher in the series is perhaps a bit too charming.

The reason I couldn't stand the movie was that Cruise didn't fit my mental image. Neither in appearance or behavior.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 11:54:54 AM by archnemesis »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18955 on: February 18, 2022, 05:40:30 PM »
First ep of Cuphead show was fun (and only 15 mins)

Bebpo

« Reply #18956 on: February 18, 2022, 07:12:47 PM »
https://www.thedailybeast.com/inside-euphoria-season-2s-messy-behind-the-scenes-drama-from-sam-levinson-to-barbie-ferreira-storming-off

If true, it's not that surprising. Levinson's style is great and adds so much to Euphoria, but I mean the dude's done two movies which were a dud and then he has this super successful TV show where he writes & directs everything and can definitely see him as an auteur dude just doing whatever the fuck he wants which pisses off the professionals and makes production inefficient.

Not sure what they can do if true though, the show is basically all him (+good actress/actor performances) for better or worse.

Polident Hive

« Reply #18957 on: February 18, 2022, 10:06:25 PM »
I liked it a lot.  The last episode is basically a c-tier 80's action movie.  I haven't read the books but my guess is this is a pretty close adoption? because a lot of it feels dated in terms of character portrayals.  There is something very ridiculous about a giant 10/10 stud-man who can do anything and kill everyone just doing his thing in what is otherwise a normal police procedural.  Like they made James Bond a small town cop and played it off as totally authentic.  The Cruise movies had more gravitas and I think that is because they were modernized.

Years back I read an interview with Lee Child and he describes writing Reacher as a response of sorts to the trends of the then late 1990s. Something about being tired of David vs Goliath, everyman stories and wanting to write Goliath as the protagonist. Never read the bible to fully get the reference, but in that show Kings from the 2000s, Goliath was a heavy tank David blew up with a rocket launcher. Still makes sense. Anyway, from there I imagined Reacher as a smarter John Matrix without Jenny to be concerned about.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18958 on: February 18, 2022, 11:18:32 PM »
David is the little guy who triumphs over the big guy.

Also, thank you for reminding me about Kings. Great show.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #18959 on: February 19, 2022, 12:48:56 AM »
Peacemaker overall was fine. Popcorn entertainment, nothing more, nothing less.