Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2067233 times)

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #18660 on: October 19, 2021, 09:21:41 PM »
is that the dude from American pie? :hitler
(ice)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18661 on: October 20, 2021, 03:04:55 AM »

Could be worse.  Made me at least a bit interested. 
As someone who has never seen the anime, if it keeps that energy and tone, I'll watch it.
Spud

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #18662 on: October 20, 2021, 05:18:08 AM »
Looks like shit.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18663 on: October 20, 2021, 09:02:44 AM »
Is that even a trailer? I mean footage from the episodes? Looks like ad hoc spoof footage.

Tonally it looks very different from the animated show, which was 40% energetic action, 60% melancholic noir melodrama.
As usual, i don't think they should just religiously stick to the source material in adaptations, but i'm not sure what this is going for, since they didn't show anything actually from the show yet.  ???

Looks like a YouTube fanfilm, as of now.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #18664 on: October 20, 2021, 09:13:10 AM »
i imagine when all is said and done it will be a mediocre series that pops off with dipshits, ie a netflix fictional content special.

they don't even have the original hanime on uk flix :thinking
(ice)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18665 on: October 20, 2021, 09:52:33 AM »
It's not a trailer, it's a promotional video they made right after setting the cast.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18666 on: October 20, 2021, 10:44:05 AM »
It says "Cowboy Bebop Trailer" that's why i said as much.
I maintain that Cowboy Bebop is noir first, that pop super energetic style it's in some action sequences (not even that much) but mostly just in the intro.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #18667 on: October 20, 2021, 03:10:56 PM »
Put the phone back on the hook you monster!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18668 on: October 20, 2021, 11:28:08 PM »
Big Timber is good.  Like that Netflix is stepping into shitty 2000's Discovery channel TV. 

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #18669 on: October 22, 2021, 07:57:39 PM »
Completed Squid Game.

It's definitely a fun watch with up ands downs in the middle.
There's a few cop outs and subplots that have some good build up but ultimately go nowhere but it works overall.

Not sure if the second season will have the same impact as this though.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The marble episode was probably the best one, Sang-Woo betraying Abdul and Il-nam playing around with Gi-Hun who had no idea about his real identity.

The rules of the game were broken though, not only to protect Il-nam (who was obviously protected by the Front Man) but also by Il-nam himself by giving Gi-Hun a clear advantage over the other players.
I also feel like this is why Gi-Hun is unable to accept his victory and prize money (despite the general trauma), he knows the game was rigged from the start and that the other players could never win.
[close]
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18670 on: October 26, 2021, 07:58:10 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18671 on: October 26, 2021, 08:13:14 PM »
 :lol

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18672 on: October 26, 2021, 08:34:24 PM »
look better than their other anime adoptions.  Seems like a will-watch and be disappointed kind of thing instead of a won't watch and pretend it doesn't exist thing.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #18673 on: October 26, 2021, 08:34:34 PM »
the milf guy :lol
(ice)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18674 on: October 26, 2021, 09:17:49 PM »
Seems to be on the level of Death Note, but with an harder to adapt source material.

Things designed for animation, always look fucking stupid in live action, it's why cool characters make for dorky cosplay.
The cg also looks cheap, and it's a show that needs quite a lot of it.

BTW did they show Ed yet, or is she cut out of the whole thing?

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18675 on: October 26, 2021, 09:27:24 PM »
They've said that Ed is in it, but they still haven't shown her yet.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18676 on: October 26, 2021, 10:37:35 PM »
Going to be a 46 yearold women. 

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18677 on: October 26, 2021, 10:46:05 PM »
they turned spike into an asian father  :girlaff is he gonna shame ed for not getting perfect grades and going to medical school  ???

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18678 on: October 27, 2021, 10:31:40 PM »

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #18679 on: October 28, 2021, 12:03:04 AM »

Didn't watch Tiger King 1 because it seemed like trash and the news cycle didn't prove me wrong

Snoopycat_

« Reply #18680 on: October 28, 2021, 11:54:55 AM »
Tiger King was good because Joe Exotic is a proper mental, with a story and a personality. The story is done. He’s in prison. Nobody cares about that greasy old hag and the gay hillbillies.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #18681 on: October 28, 2021, 12:23:31 PM »
yeah i imagine this is gonna be dog shit

i imagine joe is beyond unbearable now that he's aware he's a meme king :-X
(ice)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18682 on: October 28, 2021, 12:26:49 PM »

Didn't watch Tiger King 1 because it seemed like trash and the news cycle didn't prove me wrong
the netflix hype machine is amazing, but it also lets me know what to tune out.

Nuitangg

« Reply #18683 on: October 28, 2021, 12:29:46 PM »
James Garretson  :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18684 on: October 30, 2021, 02:01:38 AM »
I feel like I had enough of that train wreck by the end of the first one.

Kevtones

« Reply #18685 on: October 30, 2021, 04:40:09 AM »
Was kind of meh on Squid Game. Felt like a less convincing Battle Royale ish and it replaced artfulness with slowmo and colors.

Still well produced overall I suppose. It’s ‘land’ domestically is problematic in that our taste is so shit and late.
wrong

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #18686 on: October 30, 2021, 05:59:24 AM »
TBH i'm tired of all this Escape Room/Alice in Borderlands shit anyway. They ripped off Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor so hard to make this shit, and didn't improve on it. The girl is cute though, i'll give it that

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18687 on: October 30, 2021, 06:18:48 AM »
I enjoyed Alice in Bordelands more than Squid Game, the "games" are more fun.
The deadly game thing is a whole sub-genre, probably all spawning from "The Most Dangerous Game" anyway.

Bebpo

« Reply #18688 on: November 03, 2021, 12:44:09 PM »
Finally watching Midnight Mass

Two eps in and this feels like Mike Flannigan's secret reboot of Salem's Lot project. Like no spoilz as I watch stuff slow so it'll take me a week or two to get through this, but sure seems like the plot is:

Spoiler guess (and spoilers for Salem's Lot I guess)
Old priest guy goes on trip to the holy land and encounters an old vampire, becomes the vampire's familiar and gains his youth in exchange for bringing vampire back to the new country of USA (basically Salem's Lot). Is conducting "miracles" and stuff using the vampire's blood and its healing properties.

The dead cats at the end of ep1, start of ep2 instantly reminded me of Salem's Lot opening of animal sacrifices to welcome the vampire to the town.
[close]

I gotta say though, ep2 was 1 hour 4 mins long and that was a bit too long. I like Flannigan's films (but generally don't love them), loved Hill House and thought it was legit the best thing he's done in his career, skipped Bly Manor after hearing everyone say it was slow and boring and nothing happens, and now watching this.

Bebpo

« Reply #18689 on: November 05, 2021, 04:45:44 AM »
Midnight Mass ep4

Wow, I can't believe they killed off the only interesting lead opposite of priest guy, how is this show going to get through another 3 hours without anyone particularly interesting as the lead?
[close]

Midnight Mass ep5

Wow, I can't believe they killed off the only interesting lead opposite of priest guy, how is this show going to get through another 2 hours without anyone particularly interesting as the lead?
[close]

Still think these eps are far too long. Enjoying the show but Hill House was way better so far. Do eps really need to be an hour ten minutes?

Will probably watch ep6/7 tomorrow night.

Also

Shows like this or zombie movies where people have NEVER HEARD OF A VAMPIRE OR ZOMBIE but otherwise everything is the same as our reality will always feel weird to me.
[close]

Oh and also the logic of the show is bugging me.

Like the priest guy dies and drinks the vampire's blood and somehow is totally normal and fine during the day for days/weeks coming back to the island and for the first few days until he suddenly dies and becomes a vampire,

...but the lead guy is instantly burnable the next morning? Is the logic supposed to be that when the priest was attacked he didn't actually die and just almost died and then drank the blood, but our lead guy actually died before he drank the blood and came back? I guess that's the logic they're going with. Still feels weird.
[close]

I also have no idea where they are going with the show,

Like the whole town has presumably drank the vampire blood...which means they're all destined to instantly die at some point and become vampires like the priest. Even the lead woman who is now the lead?

Pretty sure only the Sheriff, his kid and the Doctor haven't drank the communion blood.

So what kind of ending can they even do with this? How does the lead woman "save" the town? Feels like it's heading for a Perfume kind of ending where everyone in the entire town turns into vampires and then everyone burns at once and dies or something which sounds kinda of what's the point of these last 2 hours of eps if that's where it's going. There's no logic in the show to undo the vampire curse so it just seems like everyone's dead at this point and don't see what the next two eps will be.
[close]
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 04:55:28 AM by Bebpo »

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18690 on: November 05, 2021, 01:41:24 PM »
Shows ... where people have NEVER HEARD OF A VAMPIRE OR ZOMBIE but otherwise everything is the same as our reality will always feel weird to me.

I have a loose idea for a stargate style sci-fi thing except its extradimensional rather than extraterrestrial, and their blackops funding comes from entertainment consultancy by a creatively bankrupt hollywood paying big money for new spooky monster ideas, but it also doubles as cultural vaccinations against high risk incursions by letting the general population know how to deal with shit like zombies in advance

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18691 on: November 05, 2021, 02:21:54 PM »
I was about to watch Midnight Mass, i thought Hill House was excellent, but Bly Manor was pretty sloppy (not to say outright bad, tbh), so when i read this was more of interminable monologues, i pumped the breaks.
Bly Manor was especially awkward with those.

Bebpo

« Reply #18692 on: November 05, 2021, 10:51:55 PM »
Going to sit down now and watch the last 2eps of Midnight Mass

The more I think about the previous eps, the more it doesn't sit well with me

Killing off the main dude at ep5 just seems like they did it for shock value. The problems though of killing him off this early are:

-He didn't have much of a character-arc. He's just this dopey guy whose haunted all the time and then dies without doing much of relevance. What was the point of him even being the lead character...

-He's supposed to be the smartest, most educated, character on the show but he's really fucking dumb. Like if he wanted to prove his story was real to his gf he could've just held out his hand under the sunlight and showed her it burned and she'd believe him. Killing himself was absolutely pointless, basically just straight up suicide and only existed to make his GF's life worse and rob her and anyone fighting the priest and crew of a vampire ally in their fight.

-He also comes off as a loser if he killed himself because he couldn't deal with being a vampire. Like he gave it one day. Dude, give it a week at least and see how you feel about vampire life.

-Killing him off basically killed off the only athiest/non-religious point of view in the show. Now it's a bunch of over religious Christians and a pretty religious Muslim only. As someone who is non-religious this bugs me.

Also speaking of how this idiot was the most intelligent guy on the island,

-Like every character in this show is fucking dumb as rocks. The priest guy you can buy initially that he had dementia which is why he thought the vampire was an angel and thought it was a good idea to bring it back. But then as things happen in town he just seems like an idiot. Yes, I get he's supposed to be "lost in his faith" and trying to explain everything with faith, but idk he just seems dumb af. I guess the doctor is mildly intelligent but she doesn't put a lot of effort into trying to figure things out. The Sheriff is likeable but dunno if he's accomplishing much so far.
[close]

Anyhow, hopefully these last couple eps will be fun.

Bebpo

« Reply #18693 on: November 06, 2021, 01:25:33 AM »
Okay, finished Midnight Mass.

I think I've seen every Mike Flannigin movie and TV show outside of Bly Manor which I skipped and...I think this is the worst thing he's written. It was just so pointless and felt like a waste of 7 hours+

Really didn't enjoy the ending.

First of all, the show is way too mean-spirted, even for horror.

Not only do they kill our main guy, then they shoot and kill the doctor and kill the Sheriff.

And the main antagonist, the most annoying preachy hypocrite religious woman ever put on film (and there are a lot of people who have played this trope in films), you expect a big satisfying fuck you death come uppance and nope, she just gets burned up like everyone else. Idk, I wanted a way more brutal death for her given the build up of seven hours of putting up with her shit as a villain. Was not very satisfying.

And the kill them all ending's been there, done that before. Doesn't feel like this show is doing anything particularly original or interesting.

Also more logic issues where everyone freaks out that there's nowhere on the island to hide from the sun now that the houses have burned, as if there aren't spots of shade throughout that they could survive in until nightfall when they can put some wood together and build a simple structure. 

Basically the Hamish Linklater gave a great performance, but the rest was pointless.
[close]

Idk, I feel like maybe this show was meant to have had more meaning for religious people, but as a non-religious person it was just a slow paced show that went nowhere with a lot of logic holes and dumb characters.

Reading some of the negative reviews and this pretty much sums up my issue with the ending from a satisfying story perspective:

"In Midnight Mass, though, what connects and unites the community is the false hope that God is working miracles on Crockett Island. Rather than allow that horror to fully sink in, however, Midnight Mass avoids the question of long-term consequences. In an insulting twist, it presents the priest whose murderous deception jump-started its entire plot — and who’s been intentionally secretly poisoning his congregation for weeks! — as a well-meaning man motivated purely by faith and love, a good guy in the end.

And Flanagan, despite indicating to the Times that he leaned toward rationalism and humanism rather than belief in the divine, apparently needs hopeful endings so much that he even chooses to sidestep revealing whether there will be long-term consequences to Paul and Bev’s botched plot to bring on the apocalypse. Rather than allow the perpetrators, or any of the townspeople who’ve joined in the hysteria, to face earthly justice for their crimes, the show ends, instead, with a sweet montage in which they all sing hymns and comfort each other. The sheer horror of this moment — that the townspeople are so consumed with religion that it has destroyed them — gets subsumed in a wash of rosy cinematography and the moving strains of “Nearer, My God, to Thee.”

Is that a beautiful, moving ending for most of the series’ viewers? Most likely. It’s just that to so many horror fans, a belief in God isn’t a comfort: It’s the ultimate false hope. For me, Midnight Mass’s conclusion feels less like a soothing balm in a moment of crisis, and more like an outright lie."
[close]

« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 01:35:53 AM by Bebpo »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18694 on: November 07, 2021, 10:32:07 AM »
NetFlix Arcane animated series is beautiful. Voice acting and writing are also well done.

Bebpo

« Reply #18695 on: November 09, 2021, 05:31:15 PM »
NetFlix Arcane animated series is beautiful. Voice acting and writing are also well done.

Worth watching if you dislike Riot and League of Legends?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18696 on: November 09, 2021, 07:42:44 PM »

Worth watching if you dislike Riot and League of Legends?

I have no dog in this race: LoL has never interested me (though this has engendered some), and if you're still watching Netflix after the Chapelle hullaballoo (which I am), I don't know how to judge the question. Riot Games is possibly more contentious but it's a grey area.

The animation is quality. The voice acting is good. The story seems better than most anime, but that's too faint a praising.

Bebpo

« Reply #18697 on: November 12, 2021, 02:35:04 AM »
Finished Mythic Quest S2. I enjoyed it. Probably not as good as S1 though. Also it feels like 50% of the jokes in the show every.single.episode is just about political correct pronouns which is starting to get weird how much they hinge on that.

Also that ending definitely did things with the characters, so will be interesting to see how they make it work in Season 3.

PS. Danny Pudi still talks and has the same facial mannerisms and style of humor as Paul Rudd. They're like twins I tell you!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18699 on: November 12, 2021, 08:59:14 PM »
original music or  :wag

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #18700 on: November 12, 2021, 09:00:33 PM »
Needs the superior JP OP.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18701 on: November 13, 2021, 05:19:49 AM »
Watched the first two episodes of Dopesick. Damn good show so far. A bit annoyed it's being drip fed rather than dropped all in one go.
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18702 on: November 13, 2021, 10:07:26 PM »
The first episode of Arcane -- this is good.   I think it might be the first CGI TV show that I have felt is actually artistic.  There are a few moments where I assume they are doing game references that I don't get, but otherwise, it seems like just an interesting steampunk fantasy show. 

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18703 on: November 14, 2021, 08:20:44 AM »
Leverage Redemption is breezy fun, and I like Noah Wyle (who I can only assume got the gig because he had fun working on Librarians with Christian Kane) and Replacement Hacker Girl as the replacement additions to the cast, although Replacement Hacker Girls "I'm a MILLENIAL!" shtick does grate a little bit.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #18704 on: November 16, 2021, 09:14:13 PM »

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18705 on: November 17, 2021, 01:54:37 PM »
I don't know if Oscar Isaacs english accent is intended to make him sound distinguished mentally-challenged, but it/he does

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18706 on: November 17, 2021, 03:53:42 PM »
chucky is like a teen drama, but also chucky origins. I could do without the teen drama stuff tbh, maybe I'm just not the intended audience  :trumps

foundation is good enough that I keep watching. could do with a lot less of the adventures of cleon. it's been years since I read the books, but I don't remember dude having this much story to him and it's just not all that interesting compared to the main storyline of the foundation being setup and going through their trials

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #18707 on: November 17, 2021, 05:25:06 PM »
Tiger King 2 isn't as bad as I thought it would be

One episode was just shit that's happened since with Joe and following some new dipshits coming into the scene and 2 episodes about Don Lewis' "disappearance" so far
[close]
(ice)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18708 on: November 19, 2021, 12:20:45 AM »
Diving in to Wheel of Time.

Opening scene is kind of...cheesy.
Spud

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18709 on: November 19, 2021, 04:40:34 AM »

After abandoning Foundation, i'm not sure if i want to bother with other big tv shows atm, but it kind of intrigues me.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #18710 on: November 19, 2021, 08:06:35 AM »
watching the first ep of cowboy bebop live action and its shockingly good, if a little cheesy at times when it gets a bit too close to the hanime :titus

azemoths gf is hot as balls :noah
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 08:50:44 AM by Pissy F Benny »
(ice)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18711 on: November 19, 2021, 08:15:59 AM »

After abandoning Foundation, i'm not sure if i want to bother with other big tv shows atm, but it kind of intrigues me.
Yeah, I ditched Foundation pretty quick.

First episode of WoT is a bit meh, second is great. They've made plenty of changes to characters and plot though, so if you're a book purist, I'd avoid.
Spud

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18712 on: November 19, 2021, 02:09:06 PM »
No i haven't read the books.
I just want something that flows decently, unlike Foundation, which i found impossible to follow.

I'll give ep.1 a shot.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #18713 on: November 19, 2021, 05:29:36 PM »
watching the first ep of cowboy bebop live action and its shockingly good, if a little cheesy at times when it gets a bit too close to the hanime :titus

azemoths gf is hot as balls :noah

ep 2 sux btw :titus
(ice)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18714 on: November 19, 2021, 11:26:51 PM »
Finished episode 3 of Wheel of Time.

What started out very rough, quickly turned into a very tidy show. Looking forward to the rest of the season.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #18715 on: November 20, 2021, 12:00:58 AM »
I thought Wheel of Time was a vaporeware thing like LoTR TV. Didn't realize it was all done and actually coming out already.

Been tempted to try reading the books, not sure if it's a good idea to check this out first. Either it'll be cool and will get me interested and I'll transition to the books after S1, or it'll be a bad adaptation and turn me off from giving the books a shot. Hmmm...

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #18716 on: November 20, 2021, 12:13:36 AM »
It's not vaporware it's bloatware.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18717 on: November 20, 2021, 01:02:37 AM »
WoT: if you expect Xena, you're in for a good time, if you expect GoT, you're gonna be disappointed. 

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18718 on: November 20, 2021, 04:25:31 AM »
The first WoT book came out nearly 32 years ago. The fantasy genre has changed dramatically since then. It's a product of its time and very, very bloated. Still an epic story. Just very lotr inspired
Spud

jorma

« Reply #18719 on: November 20, 2021, 04:35:10 AM »
from what i remember only the first four books were any good, the rest was just an endless stream of braid tugging and dress descriptions