Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2062778 times)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #18420 on: April 28, 2021, 06:56:37 AM »
I enjoyed it too, but not as much as you did.
Started S2 but stopped after a couple of episodes tbh, because i was bored.
Maybe i'll go back though.

I started watching an anime called "Wonder Egg Priority", and the animation is really some wonderful work (reason why i started in the first place) fluid and high quality drawings.
Unfortunately the characters are really hard to stomach for me, the cutesy thing is really annoying, even if it's juxtaposed with "serious" thematic of abuse etc etc.
I also don't like how they mostly reveal each character's trauma by stopping and giving out a little speech, i find it cheap.
I made it 4 episodes, not sure i'll go on further.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18421 on: April 28, 2021, 11:31:13 AM »
Yeah. S1 is a slightly more detailed retelling of the movie, which was great.

S2 is “What if Hogwarts was a facility for training Jason Bourne?“ I don’t think I’m in for the long-haul, but it’s only eight episodes per season at 50 minutes each.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sawyer is in the van with Wiegler, he undoes his own seatbelt, and causes an accident. Wiegler suffers the worst in the accident despite wearing a seatbelt, and Sawyer it’s not bounced around the cabin of the van, wakes up, decides to elaborately start a fire in the car and walk away without finishing off Wiegler. There is a lot of plot armor on this thing.
[close]
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 01:10:39 AM by chronovore »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18422 on: April 29, 2021, 08:53:32 PM »
Invincible was great.  Glad it's getting a season 2 and 3.

Bebpo

« Reply #18423 on: April 29, 2021, 11:02:44 PM »
Invincible season finale was good, but not as satisfying as I was hoping for. Not much closure even for an arc and pretty much just a "get ready for future seasons" episode.

Was gonna wait and watch S2 since I thought S1 was gonna wrap things up a lot more and I could wait it out, but now I'm thinking I'll just read the comic. Great show though.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18424 on: April 30, 2021, 01:11:10 AM »
READ THE COMIC.

It is great.

Snoopycat_

« Reply #18425 on: May 01, 2021, 06:18:16 AM »
Started watching Resident Alien and it's really good. It reminds me of Northern Exposure

Bebpo

« Reply #18426 on: May 03, 2021, 12:21:49 AM »
Creepshow S2E5 was a good idea for the start, and hey it's Justin Long, but maaaan that went nowhere and didn't deserve a full length ep. What a shame.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18427 on: May 03, 2021, 08:17:39 AM »
Invincible wrapped up pretty much exactly where I thought it was going to in terms of comics arcs, although some of the "next season on Invincible" flash forwards were a pretty good idea I think.

Although I've mostly enjoyed the changes made to the source material with the TV show, I think they've done Amber pretty dirty by having her know all along, because on the one hand you get... she comes across as a little smarter? but on the other hand you get that she's kind of a selfish bitch now  >:(

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18428 on: May 03, 2021, 10:46:40 PM »
A couple of Black Mirror episodes like "White Bear" freaked me out, so I tend to visit the show intermittently. I recently watched "Striking Vipers," which was quite thought-provoking, and didn't end as I'd expected it to end. I think my social mores are somewhat conservative, it turns out.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18429 on: May 04, 2021, 04:19:13 AM »
Watched the most recent Line Of Duty, and it looks like a series finale rather than just a seasons wrap-up; I'm interested in what was going on in the background, because it was one episode longer than usual, and kind of feels like they were maybe going to tease things out for another season but changed their mind, because basically everything is wrapped up by the end of this one.

Still pretty good TV!

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18430 on: May 04, 2021, 11:22:52 PM »
Finished Invincible.

Great show. My one criticism is that
the hints they think they gave along the way about Omni-Man were not as clever as they think they were.
[close]
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #18431 on: May 06, 2021, 05:32:23 PM »
Watched the first ep of Star Wars: The Bad Batch - Never watched Clone Wars, but was enjoyable enough. Art style ok, doesn't look bad, doesn't look amazing. Might keep watching it.

Bebpo

« Reply #18432 on: May 07, 2021, 10:18:55 AM »
Watched the first ep of The Clone Wars S1

I guess I should re-watch the prequels because I don’t remember any of the stuff leading to the clones & droids.

Was enjoyable seeing Yoda wreck shit tho

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #18433 on: May 07, 2021, 01:14:01 PM »
Currently going through Billions and am on season 3.  I work in brokerage and some of the industry stuff is obviously cheesed up/dumbed down for TV, but they have nailed a lot of the character types right.

Bebpo

« Reply #18434 on: May 07, 2021, 01:31:42 PM »
I would not suggest just watching The Clone Wars straight through. Look up an episode guide because especially in the first 2 seasons, there's a TON of filler eps and many are not linear at all.

Yeah, I saw the ep guide and if I watch the show I'll follow that. Just watched ep1 out of curiosity. Animation is pretty bad old budget CG, but was enjoyable enough. Will follow the ep guide if I watch more.

It's pretty funny that I saw the Star Wars prequels when they came out in theaters, camping out for ep1 with everyone else, but like 20+ years later if you ask me what the story of the 3 movies are I'd be like uhh Anakin pod races with Jar-Jar and then there's some awkward romance with Natalie Portman and then he kills some kids and falls in Lava and that's it. Like I have zero recollection of any of the politics story or where the clones & droids are from or who the fuck Count Duku is or anything at all. Those movies were very forgettable and then there weren't really any new Star Wars games or movies for like 10+ years until the new movie trilogy & the spinoffs and I just sorta lost the plot.

Definitely need to either re-watch that trilogy or read a wiki summary to get some context for Clone Wars.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18435 on: May 07, 2021, 03:39:15 PM »
Started Servant Season 2.
I enjoyed S1 quite a bit and so far (a couple of ep. in) this is more of that, but i have to say, it's starting to get long in the tooth.
I hope they go somewhere in the next couple of episodes.

Bebpo

« Reply #18436 on: May 07, 2021, 08:23:33 PM »
Wait, Creepshow S2 is only 5 eps this time instead of 6 like S1? Noooooo. Bad ep to end on.

Time to watch a few more things on Shudder and unsub until S3.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18437 on: May 07, 2021, 09:36:00 PM »
Creepshow S2E5 was a good idea for the start, and hey it's Justin Long, but maaaan that went nowhere and didn't deserve a full length ep. What a shame.

So I accidentally started an AMC trial on my AppleTV somehow, so I'm "in" for a month. Considering how much boritos have mentioned it, I decided to watch this, and started with this episode. Seems OK. It's a clever use of old footage, NotLD is public domain due to a copyright/trademark snafu, so maybe Horror Express is as well?  I enjoyed the camp violence and cheese, Justin Long, D'Arcy Carden (a girl, not Janet - "not a girl.") and the impressive integration into the film. Then it ends in a cheesy Creepshow way, with that execrable CG footage and no denouement.

Quaker

« Reply #18438 on: May 07, 2021, 09:59:25 PM »

So I accidentally started an AMC trial on my AppleTV somehow, so I'm "in" for a month.
Check out Gangs of London. Too much of the show is spent on not-that-good underworld politicking but each of the first 5 episodes usually has one clever action scene and that fifth episode has a really great siege. There's four episodes left after that but the show drops the action and goes all in on the British criminal underworld thing instead.

Bebpo

« Reply #18439 on: May 07, 2021, 10:00:02 PM »
Chrono, Now watch the other eps!

Outside the exterminator short, S2 was good. S1 was good too, just more spotty.

Bebpo

« Reply #18440 on: May 07, 2021, 10:01:14 PM »
Also watch the Creepshow Holiday Special. It’s a great 45 min movie.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18441 on: May 10, 2021, 02:06:49 PM »
Finished watching Invincible, after all yer praise.
The parts with Omni Man were fun.
The parts with all the other heroes and stupid random villains weren't.
The parts with teen romance were needed from a narrative POV, but weren't well written.

All in all, i think having 40 minutes episodes with subpar animation, and all these pointless side stories, was a questionable choice.
The evil Superman race wanting to enslave humanity is the plot they should focus on, not whatever CheetaMan or Dr. Robotica is up to.

Bebpo

« Reply #18442 on: May 10, 2021, 02:36:50 PM »
The parts with Omni Man were fun.
The parts with all the other heroes and stupid random villains weren't.
The parts with teen romance were needed from a narrative POV, but weren't well written.

All in all, i think having 40 minutes episodes with subpar animation, and all these pointless side stories, was a questionable choice.
The evil Superman race wanting to enslave humanity is the plot they should focus on, not whatever CheetaMan or Dr. Robotica is up to.

It's called world building tho

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18443 on: May 10, 2021, 03:41:37 PM »
Yes, i think it makes the world look stupid and uninteresting.
As i mentioned in the past, it looks like one of those Rick & Morty things (or Futurama) of throwing random shit in to see what sticks.
Demons, robots, mutants, aliens.
But R&M and Futurama are comedies.

It's why i hate most superhero stories that aren't centered around the one character/hero.
(for example Batman in the Justice League with all the other shit, as opposed to Batman in his own world).

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #18444 on: May 10, 2021, 05:33:03 PM »

You should have been jaded like me and assumed they don't know shit

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18445 on: May 10, 2021, 11:00:30 PM »
Three episodes into Umbrella Academy - wow

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #18446 on: May 10, 2021, 11:13:13 PM »
Bad wow I presume

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18447 on: May 11, 2021, 10:15:45 AM »
Hooked wow.  Wow wowed. 

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18448 on: May 11, 2021, 12:01:37 PM »
Finished Servant S2.
The show gets somewhat dumb here and there, but it was still fun, i'll watch a S3 for sure.
You can feel they're sort of going at random, compared to S1 though (maybe because they don't have another movie to rip off  :doge).
Hopefully S3 goes into Rosemary's baby territory, since i'm a sucker for Satanic cult shit.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18449 on: May 14, 2021, 04:34:47 AM »
Japan Netflix had all of The Blacklist through s5, then nothing for two years. Now they got s6 and s7, and the wife and I have been tearing through them.
Pretty neat how they paint Katarina as kind and virtuous for most of the series, and start with Reddington being terrifying, and now Reddington's a hero of sorts, and they catch up with Katarina and she's as scary as Reddington was in s1. YAY!
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18450 on: May 21, 2021, 02:18:44 PM »
Another great series finale to Taskmaster.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #18451 on: May 25, 2021, 09:28:14 AM »
I'm caught up with Billions.  Axe is now into total Gordon Gekko caricature territory and the show is really teetering on jumping the shark.

Currently going through the latest season of Mayans MC.  I'm not really feeling the main plot line, but I am enjoying the side one with Coco and Meth Mountain.  I really like the actor and I've always been interested in trash/drug sub-cultures like the Salton Sea. 

Side note, I guess "fuck" is now okay to say on basic cable because they say it about a couple of dozen times per episode.  I remember hearing an interview with Kurt Sutter (I think it was on the WTF podcast) and he said it was hard to write Sons of Anarchy because FX would only allow him to use "shit" twice per episode.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18452 on: May 25, 2021, 11:06:00 AM »
Mostly though the first season of Bosch -- it's pretty good.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18453 on: May 25, 2021, 06:29:00 PM »
I'm caught up with Billions.  Axe is now into total Gordon Gekko caricature territory and the show is really teetering on jumping the shark.

Currently going through the latest season of Mayans MC.  I'm not really feeling the main plot line, but I am enjoying the side one with Coco and Meth Mountain.  I really like the actor and I've always been interested in trash/drug sub-cultures like the Salton Sea. 

Side note, I guess "fuck" is now okay to say on basic cable because they say it about a couple of dozen times per episode.  I remember hearing an interview with Kurt Sutter (I think it was on the WTF podcast) and he said it was hard to write Sons of Anarchy because FX would only allow him to use "shit" twice per episode.
Kurt Sutter and "shit" go hand-in-hand.
Spud

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #18454 on: May 26, 2021, 01:34:13 PM »
Man Ive been watching Xmen the Animated Series from the 90s and this shit is fucking entertaining as hell.

I just watched the first episode of the Dark Phoenix Saga so I still have about two seasons to go.

What

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #18455 on: May 26, 2021, 01:48:04 PM »
It is a really good show.  It was done at a time when neither the Fox network or Marvel comics were popular, so I think the show got a lot of leeway to the plots, characterizations, etc.

I've been watching some of the X-Men anime on Netflix and have liked it so far.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #18456 on: May 26, 2021, 02:08:13 PM »
It is a really good show.  It was done at a time when neither the Fox network or Marvel comics were popular, so I think the show got a lot of leeway to the plots, characterizations, etc.

I've been watching some of the X-Men anime on Netflix and have liked it so far.

I watched episodes of it as a kid, just as I did with Spiderman TAS. Also rewatched that, when I finished that I was craving more Marvel 90 cartoon goodness.

What

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #18457 on: May 26, 2021, 02:18:07 PM »
I've been watching Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends with my kid on Disney+

Firestar definitely makes something flame up

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18458 on: May 26, 2021, 10:01:00 PM »
Bosch really feels like B-tier The Wire and I mean that as a high compliment. 

Maybe because of this:

https://www.imdb.com/search/name/?roles=tt3502248,tt0306414

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18459 on: May 28, 2021, 11:37:49 PM »
Started watching Bosch becaue of your "B-tier The Wire" endorsement. Gotta say, you're right. It's great.

I also watched the first episode of a quirky Kiwi comedy called Creamerie. It's basically a satire of The Handmaid's Tale told from the opposite perspective.

It's fantastic so far.

An almost entirely female cast — admittedly by necessity as Creamerie is set in a New Zealand where all men and boys have been killed by a mystery virus — and a diverse creative team and crew have put an original twist on the well-worn post-pandemic genre. Flipping The Handmaid’s Tale narrative, New Zealand is now a women-led utopia (menstruation leave is mandatory) built around “wellness”.

Also, if you like food and cooking shows, Ainsley Eats the Streets is brilliant.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 11:44:27 PM by Potato »
Spud

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 10:36:59 PM by benjipwns »

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #18461 on: June 03, 2021, 04:15:29 PM »
Only watched the first ep so far but Mare of Easttown is good

Quaker

« Reply #18462 on: June 03, 2021, 09:09:34 PM »
I liked it but I can see how some would think it's a bit formulaic and tropey. Then again, I also really like Mystic River and Gone Baby Gone even though they're kinda corny and contrived and full of red herrings, and it feels kinda like that. Without spoiling anything, it eventually has a great tense scene that's has similar vibes to the Zodiac basement scene or that Silence of the Lambs scene.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 01:19:03 AM by Quaker »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18463 on: June 04, 2021, 04:25:18 AM »
Admittedly i had avoided it because it looked so clichè in pretty much all aspects. :thinking

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18464 on: June 04, 2021, 05:58:53 AM »
Finished Creamerie. Great little show.
Spud

Nuitangg

« Reply #18465 on: June 04, 2021, 09:54:12 AM »
Mare goes from great to pretty bad.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #18466 on: June 04, 2021, 02:36:07 PM »
It made me cry a lot

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18468 on: June 12, 2021, 01:22:09 PM »
I watched the first (and I'm just gonna call it now - only) series of The Watch because apparently I get some kind of perverse kick out of watching IPs I genuinely enjoy get completely fucked over in the adaptation by hollywood hipsters who don't have the talent to get their own projects greenlit so parasitically latch onto properties they clearly could not give less of a shit about, so that they can peddle their own shitty projects under an in name only source material.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18469 on: June 12, 2021, 06:12:11 PM »
I only got through 4 episodes of it. Wasn't good. Would have been better without the Discworld licence and a little less "woke" bullshit.
Spud

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18470 on: June 13, 2021, 05:21:55 AM »
The really infuriating thing about their take on 'wokeness' is that the source material contains a lot of pointed observations about things like power structures in the first place, so when you randomly start gender / race swapping characters you completely miss the point of the message.

Like, ankh-morporks ruling elite in the books are regularly shown to be - with the exception of the patrician - a bunch of doddery out of touch stupid old men, regularly abusing a privilege they never earned.

So making all of the ruling elite now women shows... women are shit in positions of power?
That this fantasy city that people in show are regularly complaining about being inequitable for 'the little guy' is visibly portrayed as a super progressive meritocracy where anyone of any class, gender, sexuality, or ethnicity has an equal opportunity to become a part of the ruling elite?
Doesn't that, you know, massively undermine the fucking satirical point of the source material, and just make the 'little guy' whiny greedy lazy self-absorbed assholes because if a black woman can be the height of the aristocracy via bootstraps, why cant anyone else?

The main bad guy Carcer in the books is a stone cold psychopath, but with a faux-cheeriness, that evokes something like the Krays, and his skin colour is never mentioned, but he's assumed to be a white dude. He's a Joker type anarchic nihilist. His motivation is to fuck shit up, because he likes pulling the wings off flies.
But for the TV show they make him a... chip on his shoulder angry at the system black man, who - again, in show - is proven to be 100% A Bad Guy who is Wrong? What's the message there?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 05:26:58 AM by GreatSageEqualOfHeaven »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18471 on: June 13, 2021, 06:13:57 AM »
Dude, you just put about 7 more minutes of thought into the whole premise than the actual team of people who wrote the shit in the first place.
Spud

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #18472 on: June 14, 2021, 12:06:35 AM »
Loki was good but I'm having the same issue with all the other Marvel TV series, I'm too dumb to remember I'm watching a TV show and not a Marvel movie. In any case it's nice to see Loki spit at the screen for an hour at a time instead of 5 minutes in a movie.
rub

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18473 on: June 16, 2021, 07:36:01 AM »
Loki was great this week

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18474 on: June 17, 2021, 05:49:31 AM »
Finally got to watch the finale of Falcon and Winter Soldier. Good show, but the ending monologue from Falcon was a bit much.
Spud

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #18475 on: June 17, 2021, 06:08:50 AM »
Maybe there should be a marvel thread

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18476 on: June 17, 2021, 06:18:00 AM »
Nah, it's just that there isn't much else on at the moment.
Spud

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18477 on: June 17, 2021, 07:43:48 AM »
Finally got to watch the finale of Falcon and Winter Soldier. Good show, but the ending monologue from Falcon was a bit much.

Loki is much better than this or WandaVision. At least going by the first episode, anyway.  Falcon and Winter Soldier, even at six episodes, felt too long and they could have easily have cut like half of it out.  It should have been a TV movie or something. 
ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #18478 on: June 17, 2021, 02:27:17 PM »

Loki is much better than this or WandaVision. At least going by the first episode, anyway.  Falcon and Winter Soldier, even at six episodes, felt too long and they could have easily have cut like half of it out.  It should have been a TV movie or something.

I haven't started Loki yet, but I agree 100% about The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.  It had that Netflix series feel of way too much filler.  Also I didn't buy Karli as a tough fighter or great leader.  Just a dull character with an average (at best) actor.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18479 on: June 17, 2021, 04:53:14 PM »
First episode of Loki was great.

Agree with you on FaWS. I just didn't care by about the third episode and the wokeness felt forced and unnecessary. Screamed of a concept developed in the full throes of a black lives matter frenzy.

New Captain America costume was a little too comic bookish too. Looked ridiculous.
Spud