Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2058343 times)

Hap Shaughnessy

• Canadian Ambassador to Guam (Ret.)
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #18540 on: August 02, 2021, 09:16:29 PM »
The last season of Sherlock is terrible. The final episode is bad enough that it taints the whole series.
OBE

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18541 on: August 03, 2021, 03:13:03 AM »
It got to shit before then, but once Moriarty was off the show, it was really fucking bad.
Hilarious-bad though, like that Dracula show they did, i wish we got another season of that insanity.  :lol

jorma

« Reply #18542 on: August 03, 2021, 06:49:59 AM »
The last season of Sherlock is still better than the worst sherlock adoptation known to man - that shithow they called elementary - starring what is probably the worst sherlock and homes ever conceived. 

The fact that it got more than one season is a massive stain on television as a medium.  :hmph

Tuckers Law

« Reply #18543 on: August 03, 2021, 02:55:43 PM »
I’ve not even seen the last season of BBC Sherlock and I can still be sure about doing :mike to that statement.  Strip away the procedural format (which doesn’t hinder Sherlock Holmes stories quite as much as it would for other literary characters) and what you have in Elementary is a series that never ever did something nearly as fuck-stupid as the BBC show did with the Mary Watson stuff.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18544 on: August 04, 2021, 02:05:22 AM »
Finished Breaking Bad s1. Never seen it before. It's really good, but I can't watch it before bed because the adrenaline makes it hard to sleep.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18545 on: August 04, 2021, 02:55:08 AM »
The first season is actually what sold me on Elementary, I was actually disappointed that they didn't do more season-long Big Bads like in that one. I also wound up liking Joan (and Liu) more than I thought I would, though her original role as a dropout sober companion was a bit hackneyed until they found her a better place as Sherlock's equal but lacking in the/having different experience.

That's actually one of my bigger complaints with Sherlock, even into the fourth season (which I have now seen and aren't quite as harsh on as people above lol, though I would ultimately probably agree on the Mary arc) Watson is never really shown to be much help or an equal or even an actual friend, it's just all said that he is but it's not really shown. Earlier on there were more touches of him knowing things Sherlock would/should miss, and they share jokes like companions, but he's never made into more than a... pet. Joan became the more believable partner to Sherlock to me. Some of that factors in simply due to the amount of time they had together (26 "44 minute episodes" versus 154) but other stuff factors into this like how Sherlock's Sherlock (and Mycroft... and Eurus) is simply written as superhuman and unrelatable to anyone in the end.

Like I said above, I was somewhat surprised by this as I expected to prefer the BBC version simply because the other is a procedural but ultimately I don't. By the third series and very much into the fourth series I was borderline calling out the "reveals" ahead of time not because they were ever setup but because the writing had become so obvious. The problem became that the execution didn't save it.

minor fourth series thoughts that I'll put here just in case
-Eurus was setup better but didn't have the payoff of Moriarity, and the finale was more tedious than anything.
-I would have preferred more epilogue than that "case" especially due to where they took the plane thing
-Mycroft should have probably died and I wonder if it was due to the writer being the actor that he didn't, ultimately it made the whole thing not even matter imo, the only victims were nobody you cared about
-There was a hell of an employment case relating to all those men who worked at the prison
-Mary should have been alive longer, getting killed by Eurus in the finale would have been a smarter decision to connect with her more, especially after the reveal of who she was, immediate forgiveness straight into heroic sacrifice was too silly
-the actress for Eurus should have been the actress for the "daughter" of Culverton Smith too just for fun because it wouldn't have spoiled anything either to where I'm surprised they didn't actually do it
[close]

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18546 on: August 04, 2021, 04:23:01 AM »
Finished Breaking Bad s1. Never seen it before. It's really good, but I can't watch it before bed because the adrenaline makes it hard to sleep.
Great series. Better Call Saul is great too. Paced much slower, but has a real style and life of its own.
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18547 on: August 06, 2021, 01:45:07 AM »
Great series. Better Call Saul is great too. Paced much slower, but has a real style and life of its own.

I started that, and it made me think I should probably watch breaking bad first. Bob Odenkirk is just believable in any role. It’s odd.

In breaking bad it’s hard to believe what an absolute piece of shit Skylar’s sister Marie is.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18548 on: August 06, 2021, 01:52:48 AM »
Definitely watch Breaking Bad first.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #18549 on: August 07, 2021, 04:20:08 AM »
Started watching Mythic Quest. Wasn't really sold on it until ep3 about devs trying to nazis out of their MMO. That was pretty fucking funny. I guess I'm on board now.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18550 on: August 07, 2021, 10:57:07 AM »
Started watching Mythic Quest. Wasn't really sold on it until ep3 about devs trying to nazis out of their MMO. That was pretty fucking funny. I guess I'm on board now.

I’m a couple episodes past that, and it’s consistently OK but not amazing.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18551 on: August 11, 2021, 10:34:11 PM »

The task starting at 29:30  :dead

Bebpo

« Reply #18552 on: August 11, 2021, 10:38:10 PM »
Finished Ted Lasso S1 last night. Really good show. Pretty happy with it. I think the only flaws are there are time skips between some eps and so things that are left at the end of one ep are barely mentioned the next ep because it's suddenly weeks later. Feel like they could've handled that a bit better. But otherwise great show.

Not sure if I'll jump into S2 while it's airing now or just wait until it's finished and watch it at my own pace.

Bebpo

« Reply #18553 on: August 14, 2021, 02:18:53 AM »
In Mythic Quest S1 that ep in the middle with Jake Johnson about a completely different game in a different time was weird. It was a solid indie thing, but for a comedy show it wasn't ...funny? And it didn't seem to have anything to do with the show. Was just really random.

I googled it and read that it's meant as a mid-point ep to split the first half & second half of the show in tone and that it ties in at some point. So I guess I'll see. The first half has just been a goofy office comedy which is fine, not sure if I want anything with more to it...I've got Ted Lasso for that.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18554 on: August 15, 2021, 12:07:23 AM »

I started that, and it made me think I should probably watch breaking bad first. Bob Odenkirk is just believable in any role. It’s odd.

In breaking bad it’s hard to believe what an absolute piece of shit Skylar’s sister Marie is.

Oh my God, Marie is such a total piece of shit. I am astonished how much I am feeling sorry for Hank who just seemed a complete testosterone riddled ass hat to begin with.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18555 on: August 15, 2021, 01:50:13 AM »
Everyone hates Hank, but if you step back and take a dispassionate view...
Spud

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18556 on: August 15, 2021, 02:08:08 AM »
hank needed to learn about family  8)

guy sided with the state against his brother walt, could have joined up with walt and the boyz any time  :trumps

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18557 on: August 15, 2021, 04:42:35 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #18558 on: August 16, 2021, 03:48:28 AM »
Don't mind, but I'm still sad we never got more Keanu as Constantine.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18559 on: August 16, 2021, 05:00:09 AM »
That's not John Constantine, its his ancestor Lady Johanna who was doing some shit during the French Revolution, but I dunno if I buy her as Clara from Doctor Who.

Lot of people I don't recognise there, and I dunno about the casting of Death, who IIRC was based on Tori Amos  ???

I think inevitably theres going to be comparisons to the Audible cast

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18560 on: August 16, 2021, 06:00:14 AM »
kat as death  :gurl

sheen as lucy, no thanks

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #18561 on: August 16, 2021, 07:20:16 AM »
What if episode 1 was allright
What

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #18562 on: August 16, 2021, 07:26:07 AM »
its a netflix joint, it will be good for a few episodes then quickly fall into mediocrity at the absolute best :trumps
(ice)

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18563 on: August 16, 2021, 08:41:16 AM »
kat as death  :gurl

sheen as lucy, no thanks

Kat as death is a pretty good cast, because sandman universe death is kind of a corny goofball :idont

Sheen can do arrogant charisma effortlessly, which is pretty much Lucifer in a nutshell, I dunno if Brienne Of Tarth (the TV show cast) can pull that off, but admittedly I haven't seen her in much outside of GoT and oh-yeah-I-forgot-she-was-in-that nuStar Wars

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #18564 on: August 16, 2021, 09:20:30 AM »
I've only read Sandman: Dream Country. I told the guy at the comic book store i'd read Watchmen and Y: The Last Man and Preacher, and he was all "oh you're one of those guys". Then he told me that unless I bought Dream Country (at $30) I was basically a layman and that I may as well read Garfield comics. He was pushy and mean and right.
:fbm

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18565 on: August 16, 2021, 09:52:37 AM »
Speaking of Michael Sheen, I just watched the first season of Prodigal Son, and its fucking wild... this was a network TV show?

Its basically Hannibal rejigged into a villain of the week procedural except it swaps the homoerotic overtones for a more mainstream TV friendly father / son relationship.

Apparently it got cancelled after season 2, so I hope it doesn't end on a big end of season finale cliffhanger (but I bet it fucking does :maf)

I've only read Sandman: Dream Country. I told the guy at the comic book store i'd read Watchmen and Y: The Last Man and Preacher, and he was all "oh you're one of those guys". Then he told me that unless I bought Dream Country (at $30) I was basically a layman and that I may as well read Garfield comics. He was pushy and mean and right.

slightly weird recommendation, as its basically the bottle episodes between two season arcs on a TV show

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18566 on: August 16, 2021, 06:51:01 PM »
maybe I wouldn't mind kat playing death in a animated, but not live action with them giant titties. now death becomes the big tiddy goth gf fantasy  ::)

for lucifer they went too old. this is the morning star, breh should be beautiful  :doge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18567 on: August 16, 2021, 07:07:07 PM »

Should have just bought some Garfield, bro. They're funny and and they're like $10 a book, truly a comic for the proletariat.
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18568 on: August 16, 2021, 10:59:45 PM »
Lot of people I don't recognise there, and I dunno about the casting of Death, who IIRC was based on Tori Amos  ???

https://post-punk.com/cinamon-hadley-the-inspiration-for-neil-gaimans-death-has-passed-away/

Bebpo

« Reply #18569 on: August 17, 2021, 01:34:30 AM »
Kat Dennings is a great pick for Death.

Also that main cast is pure sex. So many great actors/actresses. I think it'll be good.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18570 on: August 17, 2021, 05:22:27 AM »

Also that main cast is pure sex. So many great actors/actresses. I think it'll be good.

Are you talking about the audible version, or Netflix's?

Bebpo

« Reply #18571 on: August 17, 2021, 08:24:44 PM »
Finished Mythic Quest S1 - It was alright but entertaining. Kept watching it day after day but wasn't as good as some of the top-tier comedies and the more serious stuff doesn't really hit that much. I'll watch S2 though.

Also watched the in-between Quarantine ep, and man some of these zoom Quarantine eps are not going to hold up very well. Was a pretty weak ep and it feels weird watching quarantine zoom eps now that everyone is out of quarantine.

Are you talking about the audible version, or Netflix's?

Oh shit, I was looking at Audible  :'(

Bebpo

« Reply #18572 on: August 17, 2021, 08:29:06 PM »
Also can we talk about how Danny Pudi literally has the same face as Paul Rudd. It weirds me out how similar they look outside skin tone.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18573 on: August 18, 2021, 11:43:17 AM »

Bebpo

« Reply #18574 on: August 18, 2021, 07:50:02 PM »
idk, their faces look pretty similar, especially when they smile and they have similar mannerisms and speech styles. Pudi is a bit thinnier but otherwise they look really similar to me. And I mean like younger Paul Rudd. Not current Paul Rudd with a beard.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18575 on: August 19, 2021, 06:37:00 PM »

Looks great

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18576 on: August 19, 2021, 06:48:00 PM »
asimov really thought we'd all have mini nuclear reactors powering everything  :girlaff

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18577 on: August 19, 2021, 10:23:19 PM »
My only fear with Foundation is that since each book is only loosely connected and that might really throw casual viewers, the producers might try to mash the different stories together with the same characters in order to create some continuity.
Spud

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18578 on: August 20, 2021, 06:59:51 AM »
Just watched Time which at <3 hours long is almost a modern film rather than a TV show, but was an excellent little slice of life drama about prison with really great under stated performances by Sean Bean and Stephen Graham, as well as the rest of the ensemble.

Would strongly recommend to my transatlantic cousins if and when it gets a pickup on US Netflix or whatever.

late edit opening scene:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 04:57:04 PM by GreatSageEqualOfHeaven »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18579 on: August 20, 2021, 10:42:38 PM »
Started Schitt's Creek -- pretty good so far

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18580 on: August 23, 2021, 01:19:26 PM »
https://twitter.com/RottenTomatoes/status/1429793017649631248
Certain drawn/animated things just don't translate to live action, but they keep trying.  :-\
At least not if you don't have a very specific vision, Rodriguez tried something with Sin City for example.

I wouldn't be as skeptical, if it wasn't that it's a Netflix joint, and they just regularly produce absolute mediocrity.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18581 on: August 23, 2021, 02:17:26 PM »
john cho old af  :camby spike gotta be able to move like bruce lee roundhouse kicking foos  :punch

faye gotta be asian  >:( just find some action movie chick  ::) if only michelle yeoh didn't get old, she would have been perfect  :heart

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #18582 on: August 23, 2021, 03:10:42 PM »
did anyone ask for this? especially from netflix :yuck
(ice)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18583 on: August 23, 2021, 03:31:07 PM »
Will be cancelled and forgotten after 1 season, most likely.  :yeshrug

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #18584 on: August 23, 2021, 03:50:46 PM »
idk netflix give renewals to some utter shit
(ice)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18585 on: August 24, 2021, 12:45:55 PM »
They rarely seem to go over the 2nd season for most stuff, but i feel like this will be a bigger flop than other things.

Also about the odd casting, let's keep in mind that this is a young man for Netflix.

So that Spike is probably a teenager for them.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18586 on: August 24, 2021, 12:51:22 PM »

how do you do fellow space cow bois

Tasty

« Reply #18587 on: August 24, 2021, 01:08:38 PM »
His voice is gonna be so different from Steve Blum and I don't think I'll be able to get over that, tbh.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18588 on: August 24, 2021, 01:12:50 PM »
steve blum  ???

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18589 on: August 24, 2021, 01:26:49 PM »
Never watched with the english dub so that's not a problem for me.

But i think it'll look goofy because they don't seem to have put that much thought into translating what worked in 2d, and wouldn't in 3d.
I'll wait for a trailer though.
CB is largely a blend of a Western, a Noir and an action movie, so it's not impossible, but it gives off a cheap vibe so far.

But look at what the Watchowski did with Speed Racer, or Rodriguez with Sin City (and also his Alita was quite good) to see an adaptation with some stylistic intent.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18590 on: August 24, 2021, 04:01:27 PM »
Smashed through episodes 2-10 of Ted Lasso S1 in one afternoon/evening. Only intended to watch a few episodes and couldn't put it down. Such a great show.

Apple TV+ went from "lol, what the fuck", to "now you have my attention" in one show. Is there anything else worth watching on it before Foundation comes out?
Spud

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18591 on: August 24, 2021, 04:17:28 PM »
Season 1 of Servant is pretty good, unless you completely hate Shyamalan's style.
Season 2 is more trashy but still kind of fun at points.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #18592 on: August 24, 2021, 04:51:18 PM »
The “Long Way Round/Down/Up” series is a nice travelogue show.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18593 on: August 25, 2021, 06:11:55 PM »
Smashed through episodes 2-10 of Ted Lasso S1 in one afternoon/evening. Only intended to watch a few episodes and couldn't put it down. Such a great show.

Apple TV+ went from "lol, what the fuck", to "now you have my attention" in one show. Is there anything else worth watching on it before Foundation comes out?
For All Mankind. Don’t read up on it. Just jump in.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18594 on: August 26, 2021, 12:54:04 AM »
Cheers. I'll try to start it tonight
Spud

« Reply #18595 on: August 26, 2021, 12:56:19 AM »
People still watch TV?

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18596 on: August 26, 2021, 01:36:57 AM »
We're not all deaf, dumb and blind Helen...
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18597 on: August 26, 2021, 06:01:31 AM »

For All Mankind. Don’t read up on it. Just jump in.
Just watched the first episode. It's a bit...boring.

Is there a point where I should try to get to before I give up?
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18598 on: August 27, 2021, 02:39:24 PM »
2-3 episodes, I think.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #18599 on: August 27, 2021, 07:24:18 PM »
Edit: wrong thread.