Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2058965 times)

Potato

• Senior's Member
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #18600 on: August 30, 2021, 07:59:35 AM »
Heels is pretty good...particularly if you have even a passing interest in professional wrestling.
Spud

paprikastaude

« Reply #18601 on: August 30, 2021, 02:50:46 PM »
https://twitter.com/RottenTomatoes/status/1429793017649631248
Certain drawn/animated things just don't translate to live action, but they keep trying.  :-\
At least not if you don't have a very specific vision, Rodriguez tried something with Sin City for example.

I wouldn't be as skeptical, if it wasn't that it's a Netflix joint, and they just regularly produce absolute mediocrity.

:walkaway

Covid, you had one job (to cancel this abomination).

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18602 on: August 30, 2021, 04:41:05 PM »
https://twitter.com/RottenTomatoes/status/1429793017649631248
Certain drawn/animated things just don't translate to live action, but they keep trying.  :-\
At least not if you don't have a very specific vision, Rodriguez tried something with Sin City for example.

I wouldn't be as skeptical, if it wasn't that it's a Netflix joint, and they just regularly produce absolute mediocrity.

:walkaway

Covid, you had one job (to cancel this abomination).
It'll be good for a laugh.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #18603 on: August 31, 2021, 02:44:45 PM »
even on the off chance that its good, there will be so many glorious special fellow outs over it :D
(ice)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18604 on: September 02, 2021, 12:07:58 PM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18605 on: September 02, 2021, 12:22:30 PM »
*sniff*
©@©™

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18606 on: September 02, 2021, 04:00:40 PM »
*tugs braid in anticipation*
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #18607 on: September 02, 2021, 04:05:20 PM »
Wheel of Fortune's getting its own movie? Hollywood will really make anything these days.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18608 on: September 09, 2021, 06:47:55 AM »
Decided to give Battlestar Galactica a re-watch. Fuck this show is amazing. Haven't watched it since it was first released.
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18609 on: September 11, 2021, 07:39:51 PM »
Lucifer final season was a good concept for an end that wasn't executed the best, especially episode 9.  It never got nearly as good as season 4 again but o well.   

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18610 on: September 15, 2021, 10:16:38 AM »
Didn't know they did a modern remake of Scenes from a Marriage, and it's coming out in a couple of days?
One of my favorite Bergman's, but unfortunately the trailer makes it look very very corny in tone, losing that clinical eye the original had.
Also casting literally the two hottest people in Hollywood doesn't help their case.

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #18611 on: September 16, 2021, 04:55:00 AM »
watched the young pope, jude law is so good in this and, ngl, the final speech gave me feels

Snoopycat_

« Reply #18612 on: September 16, 2021, 07:19:57 AM »
Just finished The Witcher. I honestly it'd be one of those shitty things Netflix churns out, and I'd switch it off after 10 minutes. It turned out to be alright. It was a bit of a mess at times because it jumped around, but the cast was decent and it had some interesting storylines.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #18613 on: September 16, 2021, 11:45:29 AM »
Just started watching Breaking Bad.

I hope Walt gets his medical treatment! :fingerscrossed:

Snoopycat_

« Reply #18614 on: September 16, 2021, 07:10:41 PM »
All they had to do was copy Carmella's character and BB would have been perfect.

Tasty

« Reply #18615 on: September 17, 2021, 03:05:55 PM »

Best show returns :rejoice

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18616 on: September 17, 2021, 10:11:17 PM »
On E3 of B99 S8, I like that they decided to go political this season.  The show has been a bit stagnant for the last 2 seasons so even if this isn't great, I appreciate them trying. 

Tasty

« Reply #18617 on: September 18, 2021, 01:18:09 PM »
To The Walt Disney Co., who are the current owners of 20th Century Fox Television:

1. Whatever happened to that new Buffy show announced for HBO? Just say it's dead if it's dead.

2. This is more important: get your heads out of your asses and actually remaster Buffy the Vampire Slayer the way it deserves.

I'm sick of seeing this garbage on Amazon. At least Google Play/YouTube purchases use the Euro DVDs (which are still widescreen but at least not DNR-ed to absolute shit.) However, Buffy is meant to be 4:3, no cropping or panning.

One of the best announcements ever to wake up to would be Disney/20th publishing the series on Blu-ray with an all-new transfer and no cropping.

TNG got it.

Fucking CHARMED got it.

Goddamn it, fuck you fucking mouse fucks.

Signed,
Millions of Buffy fans like myself

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18618 on: September 18, 2021, 05:40:05 PM »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18619 on: September 24, 2021, 07:21:33 AM »
Ted Lasso S2 is phenomenal.

About to start Foundation.
Spud

Snoopycat_

« Reply #18620 on: September 24, 2021, 07:59:42 AM »
The new cocaine cowboys is shit compared to the old one. I don't know how you can take a story about 2 guys becoming coke kingpins and make it so boring. The old one had that mad witch's hitman talking about cutting off people's heads. This one has some woman droning on for hours about ledgers.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18621 on: September 24, 2021, 08:43:53 AM »
Foundation ep1 was interesting. Remains to be seen if they can fill this story out without making a mockery of the whole thing.
Spud

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #18623 on: September 24, 2021, 06:34:21 PM »
Watched the 9/11- War on Terror thing on Netflix called "Turning Point"

In the end Rummy was right,if you invade Afghanistan you get in, woop ass and you get out as quickly as possible.
All this nation building / good war nonsense made this whole thing a misguided disaster messed up by a bunch of boomer generals who could not stop crying over 9/11.
🤴

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #18624 on: September 26, 2021, 06:10:19 PM »
Watched Squid Games. Good show but deviates significantly from the source material. Particularly with the lack of scantily clad squids
:O

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18625 on: September 26, 2021, 06:19:50 PM »
I watched it too.
Kinda trashy but fun, i liked Alice in Borderlands more.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #18626 on: September 27, 2021, 10:21:30 AM »
oh no walt, i can't believe you've done this.

:(

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #18627 on: September 28, 2021, 01:10:22 PM »

james

« Reply #18628 on: September 28, 2021, 02:15:20 PM »
2022 are they fucking kidding me

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18629 on: September 28, 2021, 04:27:33 PM »
Watched 2 ep. of The Foundation.

Kind of overwhelming at first, but intriguing, feels very different from most other sci fi shows, because of the massive time scale it seems to be implying.
At the same time, i'm not sure where they're going with it, and am not really attached to any of the characters yet (which, 2 episodes in, is understandable).

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18630 on: October 02, 2021, 07:50:16 AM »
I'm going to stick with Foundation, but after 3 episodes I'm not very hopeful.

I'm two episodes into Squid Game. Wow. I am absolutely hooked.
Spud

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18631 on: October 04, 2021, 11:40:16 PM »
EXCLUSIVE: Mind Riot Entertainment will work with journalist, game developer and computer programmer Brianna Wu for Gamergate, a series about her experience as a critic and target of the notorious 2014 online harassment campaign, for which the studio has optioned life rights.
The series will explore the origins of the widespread intimidation campaign from the perspective of multiple, fictional people in the game industry – from executives to journalists and indie developers.

Gamergate is co-created and co-written by Wu and J. Brad Wilke (Camel Spiders), and will be produced by Mind Riot Entertainment’s Jonathan Keasey (Parallel) and Jeremy J. Dodd (One Nation Under Earl).

In 2014, the personal attacks force Wu and her husband to flee their Boston home in the wake of online death threats as a result of her efforts to support female game developers, journalists, and players targeted online by violent and sexist attacks via social media and message boards.

In the aftermath, Wu ran for congress in 2018, representing women in tech. Wu has shared her story in a number of publications including The New York Times, The Washington Post and The Guardian. Her experience along, with those of other Gamergate targets, have been addressed in a number of television and film projects including the 2015 documentary GTFO and the “Intimidation Game” episode of Law & Order: SVU.

“We’re not going to retread the same story told in thousands of news stories from outlets such as the New York Times and Washington Post, plus multiple documentaries like GTFO. Our series will focus on new, fictional people within the industry reacting to a horrific situation. By explaining how they were unable to stop the video game industry from being hijacked by the lunatic fringe – we can show how the tactics of Gamergate were the same ones that led to tragedies like Christchurch and January 6th,” said Wu.

Keasey added: “Working with Brianna is a huge score for us. Based in Seattle, one of the country’s meccas for gaming, we’ve been wanting to shed light on this subject matter for a while and are honored that Brianna will be co-writing the series alongside Brad.”
IT'S HAPPENING

« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 11:46:03 PM by benjipwns »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #18632 on: October 04, 2021, 11:42:23 PM »
 :gamergate

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18633 on: October 05, 2021, 03:27:31 AM »
I'm going to stick with Foundation, but after 3 episodes I'm not very hopeful.

I'm two episodes into Squid Game. Wow. I am absolutely hooked.
I'm also mixed on The Foundation (3 ep in). It's somewhat confusing, about where the hell it's going.
The constant shift of characters is kind of annoying, because it's not only jumping decades, but also going back and forth... throw in the Emperor clones staying the same, and it makes it harder to follow.
My dominant thought while watching ep.3 was "is there a point we're getting at?".
On the one hand i like the larger scope, it sets it apart, but on the other hand, the menial focus on singular characters that keep shifting in and out, is annoying.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18634 on: October 05, 2021, 04:53:00 AM »
This is the reason people always thought it was impossible to put the series to screen.

Foundation is great because is the expansive themes and grand scope, not because of character-driven drama.
Spud

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18635 on: October 05, 2021, 07:31:45 AM »
Finally, a more contemporary reference for "someone misrepresenting reality so egregiously that you start to question your own sanity and grip on reality" than Gaslight.

Also, there's some missing quotation marks in that initial description;

EXCLUSIVE: Mind Riot Entertainment will work with "journalist", "game" "developer" and computer "programmer" Brianna Wu for Gamergate, a series about her "experience" as a "critic" and "target" of the "notorious" 2014 "online harassment campaign", for which the studio has optioned life rights.

fixed.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #18636 on: October 05, 2021, 11:18:18 AM »
EXCLUSIVE: Mind Riot Entertainment will work with journalist, game developer and computer programmer Brianna Wu for Gamergate, a series about her experience as a critic and target of the notorious 2014 online harassment campaign, for which the studio has optioned life rights.
The series will explore the origins of the widespread intimidation campaign from the perspective of multiple, fictional people in the game industry – from executives to journalists and indie developers.

Gamergate is co-created and co-written by Wu and J. Brad Wilke (Camel Spiders), and will be produced by Mind Riot Entertainment’s Jonathan Keasey (Parallel) and Jeremy J. Dodd (One Nation Under Earl).

In 2014, the personal attacks force Wu and her husband to flee their Boston home in the wake of online death threats as a result of her efforts to support female game developers, journalists, and players targeted online by violent and sexist attacks via social media and message boards.

In the aftermath, Wu ran for congress in 2018, representing women in tech. Wu has shared her story in a number of publications including The New York Times, The Washington Post and The Guardian. Her experience along, with those of other Gamergate targets, have been addressed in a number of television and film projects including the 2015 documentary GTFO and the “Intimidation Game” episode of Law & Order: SVU.

“We’re not going to retread the same story told in thousands of news stories from outlets such as the New York Times and Washington Post, plus multiple documentaries like GTFO. Our series will focus on new, fictional people within the industry reacting to a horrific situation. By explaining how they were unable to stop the video game industry from being hijacked by the lunatic fringe – we can show how the tactics of Gamergate were the same ones that led to tragedies like Christchurch and January 6th,” said Wu.

Keasey added: “Working with Brianna is a huge score for us. Based in Seattle, one of the country’s meccas for gaming, we’ve been wanting to shed light on this subject matter for a while and are honored that Brianna will be co-writing the series alongside Brad.”
IT'S HAPPENING

hahahahahahahahaha

will the jace connors street race be included or will wu omit that :thinking
(ice)

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #18637 on: October 05, 2021, 11:19:35 AM »
the owner of that production company is frank wu surely :neogaf
(ice)

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #18638 on: October 05, 2021, 12:27:11 PM »
the new chappelle in one image

:whew
(ice)

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #18639 on: October 05, 2021, 03:45:59 PM »
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 07:16:10 PM by D3RANG3D »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18641 on: October 06, 2021, 09:42:36 PM »
To truly understand GamerGate, you really have to start way back, in a patch of land between the rivers Tigris and Euphrates...

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18642 on: October 07, 2021, 02:08:37 AM »
Gamergate  should have been a wake up call, because it’s got a huge overlap with the same self-victimizing, self-aggrandizing, anti-intellectual bullshit that got Trump elected.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18643 on: October 07, 2021, 07:20:51 AM »
Having thought about this some more, covering #Gamergate as a VEEP style satire would be pretty great.

I can imagine some of the scenes now;
  • demanding restraining orders are filed while the put upon investigating officer tries to explain that he doesn't think Mike Oxmaul, Seymour Butz, and Phil McKraken are real peoples names
  • panicking about the public claims about being moved to a secret address under witness protection, after the holiday plans fell through and having to make videos from the spare bedroom and pretend its a new house and hope nobody notices
  • the FBI interviews with edgelord 12 year olds who posted things like "stfu you ugly bitch" trying to uncover if it is an organised and targetted wide scale organisation, and edgelord 12 year olds just replying "no I said it because shes ugly and I wanted her to shut the fuck up"

etc

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #18644 on: October 07, 2021, 11:28:05 AM »
Having thought about this some more, covering #Gamergate as a VEEP style satire would be pretty great.

I can imagine some of the scenes now;
  • demanding restraining orders are filed while the put upon investigating officer tries to explain that he doesn't think Mike Oxmaul, Seymour Butz, and Phil McKraken are real peoples names
  • panicking about the public claims about being moved to a secret address under witness protection, after the holiday plans fell through and having to make videos from the spare bedroom and pretend its a new house and hope nobody notices
  • the FBI interviews with edgelord 12 year olds who posted things like "stfu you ugly bitch" trying to uncover if it is an organised and targetted wide scale organisation, and edgelord 12 year olds just replying "no I said it because shes ugly and I wanted her to shut the fuck up"

etc

So it's like the SVU episode except shit?

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #18645 on: October 07, 2021, 12:32:00 PM »
but with added attempted vehicular homicide ;)
(ice)

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #18646 on: October 07, 2021, 12:35:58 PM »
being serious tho, if you wanted to make some hard hitting shit about gamergate why would you pick the biggest nutcase involved ,with that side at least, was Anita sarkesian's phone without signal for a few days or some shit. even zoe quinn would be infinitely more credible :heh

spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's why Frank wu is surely funding this shit
[close]
(ice)

james

« Reply #18647 on: October 07, 2021, 12:51:32 PM »
I started watching The Walking Dead Season 10 Part 2 because its finally on Netflix after like 2 years

It's so hard to care about anything  :doge

They should have pulled a Showtime, introduced a bunch of hot new characters, and put them into naked situations.

"oh no its been 10 years and now we've run out of clothes"

And instead of the bad guys always wanting to kill everyone, the bad guy should want to repopulate the earth through the power of orgies

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18648 on: October 07, 2021, 01:01:12 PM »
being serious tho, if you wanted to make some hard hitting shit about gamergate why would you pick the biggest nutcase involved ,with that side at least, was Anita sarkesian's phone without signal for a few days or some shit. even zoe quinn would be infinitely more credible :heh

spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's why Frank wu is surely funding this shit
[close]

Zoe Quinn was the only 'target' of #gamergate that didn't actively insert themselves into the furore as a target, and has already said she wants absolutely fucking nothing to do with this TV show and wishes it wasn't even happening, which is what you would expect the victim of any kind of harrassment to feel.

Not to be playing up nostalgia for it to greenlight a TV show that you just happen to also be using a self promotion.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18649 on: October 08, 2021, 01:00:33 AM »
I started watching The Walking Dead Season 10 Part 2 because its finally on Netflix after like 2 years

They should have pulled a Showtime, introduced a bunch of hot new characters, and put them into naked situations.

And instead of the bad guys always wanting to kill everyone, the bad guy should want to repopulate the earth through the power of orgies
I'd have kept watching if you were showrunner. As it stands, I haven't cared about WD in many years. Anyone who still watches that show is a braindead fucking distinguished mentally-challenged fellow.
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18650 on: October 08, 2021, 01:00:52 AM »
Finished Squid Game.

That was good.
Spud

james

« Reply #18651 on: October 08, 2021, 10:25:26 AM »

I'd have kept watching if you were showrunner. As it stands, I haven't cared about WD in many years. Anyone who still watches that show is a braindead fucking distinguished mentally-challenged fellow.

I just hate leaving shows unfinished :fbm

And because theres an endpoint now I figured I might as well keep shoveling this crap into my mind

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18652 on: October 09, 2021, 04:41:46 AM »

I just hate leaving shows unfinished :fbm

And because theres an endpoint now I figured I might as well keep shoveling this crap into my mind
As long as you know the meth is bad for you...
Spud

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #18653 on: October 12, 2021, 12:33:04 PM »
Andrea no, don't step out of the door! = (

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18654 on: October 14, 2021, 10:05:53 PM »
chucky is fan film quality, but so were some of the recent movies  :heh  I'll watch ep 2, not sure after that

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #18655 on: October 16, 2021, 05:01:22 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #18656 on: October 17, 2021, 06:30:09 PM »
Started watching that Squid Game thing.

Certainly the sort of thing I enjoy but I don't understand why they write so many deep think pieces about it.
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18657 on: October 17, 2021, 07:01:44 PM »
Started watching that Squid Game thing.

Certainly the sort of thing I enjoy but I don't understand why they write so many deep think pieces about it.
Because of Parasite, now every Korean thing with a babby-101-inequality overtone is supposed to be some incredible punch in the face of capitalism.  :doge

james

« Reply #18658 on: October 17, 2021, 09:46:39 PM »
Its like people forgot about Hunger Games?

For fucks sake, it even sets up S2/Book 2 the same way. Main character goes back and will find a way to break the game.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18659 on: October 19, 2021, 09:12:40 PM »

Could be worse.  Made me at least a bit interested.