Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 1171620 times)

benjipwns

• no protectors here, no lanterns, no kryptonian
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #18600 on: April 05, 2021, 09:13:24 PM »
I started reading the Wiki summary of the comic book but jesus I didn't realize there was so. Much. Plot. I had read like four of the first arc descriptions before realizing my scrollbar was tiny and I had like sixteen arcs left to go. :doge Bailed out at that point.

Seems like a neat enough premise, but I wonder how long a superhero send-up can go on before it merely becomes the thing it was originally sending-up. Like, would The Boys still have its bitingly-satirical edge if it goes on for 10 seasons?
Oh shit, I thought the Invincible Compendium I have which was huge was the whole thing.

Just looked it up and it's only issues #1-47 out of #144.

Yeah, if this show adaptation is successful this thing is going to go on for years, will definitely just jump on the comic after this season and see if it sticks.
if they are adapting straight there's two separate time skips in there too, and it's not a few months time skip like The Walking Dead did, and one of them doesn't even apply to the main character

spoiler (click to show/hide)
he goes in a hole and comes back out five years later, but it's just seconds for him
[close]

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18601 on: April 06, 2021, 09:15:47 AM »
Shameless (2011, Showtime)

Anyone else watching this? Next Sunday is the final episode. The latter half of the show is rocky as fuck, but I'm in it til the end for these characters.

I hope Emmy Rossum cameos next episode. Total waste otherwise.

I probably will when UK Netflix shows it, but I assume its on its last legs like the UK version was at this point in time.
I'd figure she would, or at least the producers will be trying to get her back, as the UK one got everyone back for the finale.

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #18602 on: April 06, 2021, 10:21:51 AM »
How is the UK version? Always been curious.

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #18603 on: April 06, 2021, 10:50:40 AM »
https://collider.com/leaving-hbo-max-april-2021/

Old Scooby shows leaving HBO Max this month, WTF. :maf

https://twitter.com/TVMoJoe/status/1379159304498868224

Scooby saved! :gladbron

Someone in charge of Space Jam 2 marketing must have gotten on a call with one of his their bosses at Warners/AT&T. :lol

Edit- changed casually sexist language
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 02:33:30 PM by Tasty »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18604 on: April 06, 2021, 11:26:20 AM »
Prime tells me shows are leaving all the time, but when it comes to the date they get renewed.  On prime at least it just seems like a weird automation artifact that the end used accidentally gets to see.
NtGay

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #18605 on: April 06, 2021, 11:42:25 AM »
Yeah. Pretty much every platform tries to obscure and downplay it I think, outside some "leaving soon" emails I get from Max. I think Netflix has a "leaving soon" category too maybe?

Most of the time you only get a picture of what's leaving from third-party blogs. :/

Quaker

« Reply #18606 on: April 06, 2021, 11:42:34 AM »
I've got no beef getting nickel and dimed by every major IP holder now that they've decided they have to individually paywall their properties in order to remain culturally relevant and financially solvent(accessibility and time are what people should value, not an optional $6/month that you can easily dip in and out of IMO) but at least have the brains/balls to have accurate "recently added" and "leaving soon" pages. Criterion Channel is the only one that actually gets it 99% right. HBO is halfway there(they publish a nearly complete press release usually a week before the start of the month but their in-app "New" and "Leaving Soon" pages are incomplete). Hulu sucks. Netflix doesn't even bother and killed the API that was able to be scraped years ago.

As it is I've got to use a hit or miss Letterboxd list that's pretty good considering it's just some dude manually editing it.

https://letterboxd.com/joebarden/list/leaving-streaming-services-april-may-2021/detail/by/rating/

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #18607 on: April 06, 2021, 11:44:58 AM »
Netflix doesn't even bother and killed the API that was able to be scraped years ago.

Ahhhh so that's what happened. Yeah everyone is trying to be as cagey and private with their data now, lot of people on Deadline et al lamenting the lack of public numbers coming out of streaming in general.

Being an analytics company with at least slightly-accurate numbers on streaming viewership will likely be big business if it isn't already. Everyone needs a quote for their press release.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18608 on: April 06, 2021, 12:48:41 PM »

Very good, I think the US version even has the same "show runner" (as you guys call it).
It was a pretty smooth transition from UK -> US, although the US one is a bit more Fiona focussed (she ran off with the car thief JAMES MCAVOY in the UK version and it just stayed an ensemble thing)

Netflix doesn't even bother and killed the API that was able to be scraped years ago.

Any help?

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #18609 on: April 06, 2021, 01:18:25 PM »

I like both versions, though as said above, the UK version was also clearly running out of gas by the end of its run and were giving screen time to or introducing new characters no one really cared about.  The US and UK versions first seasons are pretty similar, but then the storylines/characters become pretty different.  Like in the UK version, Debbie is pretty level-headed and doesn't get involved in the family's antics for the most part.  She actually becomes the defacto parent in the house after Fiona leaves after the first season.

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #18610 on: April 06, 2021, 01:20:34 PM »
I'll tentatively add it to my watchlist, but it's gonna have to wait until after The Wire and a few others lol.

Thanks for the opinions fellas. :)

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18611 on: April 06, 2021, 01:45:24 PM »
I mean... nah, I can't recommend it as a better watch than The Wire :rofl

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #18612 on: April 06, 2021, 02:45:37 PM »
I finished The Wire a little while ago and it was fantastic.

I followed it up with Oz, which was also very good despite a limp ending. 

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18613 on: April 06, 2021, 03:31:18 PM »
wrong thread  >:(

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Millarriffic
« Reply #18614 on: April 08, 2021, 01:46:02 AM »

Potato

• Kipfler
« Reply #18615 on: April 08, 2021, 02:02:28 AM »
Looks like everyone wants a slice of The Boys success.

Speaking of which, got a few more episodes of Invincible in and I still like it, even though it's way more "teen drama" than I usually care for.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 04:50:47 AM by Potato »
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18616 on: April 08, 2021, 03:03:49 AM »
There was quite a bit of that in the comics, but if they are truly hewing to the same stories, there will be plenty of eschatonic dread soon.

Bebpo

« Reply #18617 on: April 08, 2021, 03:25:53 PM »
Watched Ted Lasso ep1. Seems fun. Fish out of water stories usually are pretty entertaining if the characters are likable.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18618 on: April 08, 2021, 03:46:10 PM »
I'm sort of interested in Jupiters Legacy, but only in seeing if my suspicions are correct and that its Vaughn + Goldman fixing Millars shit that makes good stuff

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18619 on: April 08, 2021, 07:25:00 PM »
Zemo cut

NtGay

Nintex

• Boy's Club President
« Reply #18620 on: April 08, 2021, 07:36:34 PM »
I started The Serpent.

A new Netflix thing about a french serial killer in Bangkok chased by a Dutch embassy worker based on a true story.
It is more interesting than it sounds but the time skips are a bit overbearing. Every other scene it says "3 months later", "8 months earlier", "3 weeks ago" etc. .

Still the story and characters are compelling and the 70's/80's Bangkok setting is well executed.
XENO

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18621 on: April 08, 2021, 08:59:37 PM »
Started Lovecraft Country.  Really enjoyed the book.  Jurnee Smollett   :horny
NtGay

benjipwns

« Reply #18622 on: April 09, 2021, 12:12:57 AM »
I really like the Jupiter's Legacy/Circle comic series and that trailer looks decent at getting the family stuff from it but I dunno if I want to watch adaptations of literally every comic property that has a "take" on the superhero genre though. :lol

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A Mod
« Reply #18623 on: April 09, 2021, 01:45:06 AM »
I really like the Jupiter's Legacy/Circle comic series and that trailer looks decent at getting the family stuff from it but I dunno if I want to watch adaptations of literally every comic property that has a "take" on the superhero genre though. :lol
It seems the same take, more or less, we've seen already?
"What if Superheroes behaved like """"regular people""""?" Obviously through a satirical lense so warped, that they behave like cartoon versions of normal people, so mostly defeating the purpose.
At least The Boys feels like an outright (dark/edgy) comedy, when it isn't trying to be sentimental.

I've only seen a couple of pages of the comic, but the trailer looks like it has a lot of clichè lines, bad costumes, worse wigs, and then devolves in the usual action set pieces you've seen a million times.
I don't think making Superman a drunk and WonderWoman a vapid socialite (or whatever they're doing) is in itself an idea revolutionary enough at this point.

The problem with these "real" superheroes takes, is that they are barely removed from classic superhero material, in terms of tone and content.
It'd be interesting to have a "Superman is real" take, but with a really dry, realistic approach: No music, no battles, no melodrama, no costumes, no colorful characters.
The idea of a super-being existing can have social and political ramifications that'd be fun to explore, and you can argue Watchmen comes closer to that than others, but still paints with a very larger than life, colorful brush.

Bebpo

« Reply #18624 on: April 09, 2021, 04:01:48 AM »
Invincible was good again this week. Someone was saying the show is covering ~10 issues an episode, which seems insane? That's like 100+pages per ep and the 144 issue entire series would only take like 2 seasons since season 1 is 8 episodes.

Well, will read the comic after ep8 at the end of the month and see for myself.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18625 on: April 09, 2021, 04:20:57 AM »
Invincible was good again this week. Someone was saying the show is covering ~10 issues an episode, which seems insane? That's like 100+pages per ep and the 144 issue entire series would only take like 2 seasons since season 1 is 8 episodes.

Well, will read the comic after ep8 at the end of the month and see for myself.

Its interesting how they're adapting it, because yeah they are super accelerating some stuff, but they're also dragging some other stuff out, as well as throwing in new stuff - like that whole try outs to be in the guardians scene basically happened off camera in the comics, and his trip to mars happens after the-big-thing-I-assume-will-be-the-season-finale with his dad in the comics.

When TV has burned through every cliche and trope there is in comics on screen, then we can get the Alan Moore super fucking meta Supreme run adaptation though

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18626 on: April 09, 2021, 12:04:34 PM »
Falcon was really good.  Glad they are exploring the world post-snap. 
NtGay

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18627 on: April 09, 2021, 09:17:18 PM »
Onto episode 5 of Lovecraft Country - the LGBT stuff is weird and seems kind of distasteful.  Maybe it will get better.  other than that, I'm loving it.
NtGay

Quaker

« Reply #18628 on: April 09, 2021, 09:38:19 PM »
The Korean War episode in the middle was very good but I remember being thrown off by him doing some war crimes shit. It was totally in-line with the typical Cable TV antihero(Tony Soprano/Walter White/Vic Mackey) but aside from this one specific instance the guy is portrayed as virtuous and sympathetic and the disparity is never really addressed?

In any case, I was pretty disappointed by the show aside from that episode and a BTTF-like time paradox episode later on but I heard a very good interview with the showrunner a week or two ago and it sounded like she was trying her best so hopefully the show can rebound if they do a second season.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/30/982668346/lovecraft-country-creator-aims-to-reclaim-the-horror-genre-for-people-of-color
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 01:40:08 AM by Quaker »

benjipwns

« Reply #18629 on: April 09, 2021, 10:13:42 PM »
It seems the same take, more or less, we've seen already?
"What if Superheroes behaved like """"regular people""""?" Obviously through a satirical lense so warped, that they behave like cartoon versions of normal people, so mostly defeating the purpose.
At least The Boys feels like an outright (dark/edgy) comedy, when it isn't trying to be sentimental.

I've only seen a couple of pages of the comic, but the trailer looks like it has a lot of clichè lines, bad costumes, worse wigs, and then devolves in the usual action set pieces you've seen a million times.
I don't think making Superman a drunk and WonderWoman a vapid socialite (or whatever they're doing) is in itself an idea revolutionary enough at this point.

The problem with these "real" superheroes takes, is that they are barely removed from classic superhero material, in terms of tone and content.
It'd be interesting to have a "Superman is real" take, but with a really dry, realistic approach: No music, no battles, no melodrama, no costumes, no colorful characters.
The idea of a super-being existing can have social and political ramifications that'd be fun to explore, and you can argue Watchmen comes closer to that than others, but still paints with a very larger than life, colorful brush.
The latter is more what the comic is about, the families and the "legacy" (of the title) being how the second generation and third generation grows up in the shadow of these superhumans who were also supposedly perfect morally and who uplifted the world to greater heights. If children are always trying to best their parents how can you best your dad being Superman who also brought world peace and all kinds of new technology and etc. The superhero identities and fights are examined initially as the toll they take on the later generations who never asked to be part of some big lifelong superhero/villain battle with Lex Luthor or whatever. It's closer thematically to Morrison's The Just than it is to something like The Boys or whatever else "superheroes but real" trope, it doesn't even exist in that kind of world IIRC, it's a standard comic world.

No idea at all how much of that is being adapted into the TV series of course. The trailer does touch on some of the stuff, without too much context, that related to those themes in the comic but they may just be blindly recreating scenes or whatever too.

When TV has burned through every cliche and trope there is in comics on screen, then we can get the Alan Moore super fucking meta Supreme run adaptation though
Oh, well, in that case...

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #18630 on: April 09, 2021, 10:22:05 PM »
Falcon was really good.  Glad they are exploring the world post-snap.

It is a good time, and I think nearly everything that the New Cap has done has been predictable, but it is enjoyable still. Zemo is the star.
rub

Bebpo

« Reply #18631 on: April 10, 2021, 01:30:21 AM »
Falcon is really dumb but entertaining. The antagonist group and Sam’s dilemma are pretty weak, but Zemo is good and US Agent is alright. The Wakanda team fight was good action this ep.

I kinda feel instead of Black Panther 2 given Bossman’s passing, a Wakanda show about the side characters would be a better direction for now. Build up someone to take on the mantle.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #18632 on: April 10, 2021, 02:03:18 AM »
Finished Black Sails. I've been watching it over the past two years. Sad to say goodbye to the characters. Great show.
:O

Bebpo

« Reply #18633 on: April 10, 2021, 02:35:51 AM »
Man, Creepshow s2e2 had a good first story but the second story was so bad. Worst in the show so far   :doge

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A Mod
« Reply #18634 on: April 10, 2021, 04:28:15 AM »
Finished Black Sails. I've been watching it over the past two years. Sad to say goodbye to the characters. Great show.
One of the best and most consistently excellent TV shows i've watched.
Should've destroyed Game of Thrones in the ratings, but people like turds.

I'm happy it got to finish its story arc properly, for the most part (even though the final part felt a bit rushed), unlike ROME.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18635 on: April 10, 2021, 09:41:06 AM »
I liked Creepshow S2E2 - mostly because of how dumb it was, but ya it wasn't a great episode. 
NtGay

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18636 on: April 10, 2021, 12:05:29 PM »
Lovecraft Country  -  'The computer needs a motherboard' , 'what's a motherboard'? 
'Me.  I'm going to jack into the machine'
[close]

:dead
NtGay

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18637 on: April 10, 2021, 01:50:32 PM »
Finished it.  Enjoyed the book more.  Generally, I let adaptations stand on their own, and don't really try to compare them, but this made a lot of changes that didn't make any sense to the characters.  It also got deep into CW territory with everyone have a new secret to cause drama every episode.  Still enjoyed it but the first 4 episodes are a lot stronger than the last 6. 
NtGay

Bebpo

« Reply #18638 on: April 10, 2021, 03:43:11 PM »
Yeah, I still haven't read the book but I thought Lovecraft Country TV was pretty bad. It started strong and the Korea ep was good, but by the end it was such a mess. The general consensus I heard when it was airing was that the book was way better and they basically went their own way with the show.

I liked Creepshow S2E2 - mostly because of how dumb it was, but ya it wasn't a great episode.

The first story was good, but the second story was just like pointless. Pesticide guy has an acid trip and nothing makes much sense, but that's ok because the devil. The end.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18639 on: April 10, 2021, 04:11:30 PM »
Some cool stuff but yeah it was sloppy af.

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #18640 on: April 11, 2021, 11:15:04 PM »
Shameless US series finale

Some good moments but man feels like a lot of missed opportunities. I was 90% sure they'd do a full-circle thing with the burning car intro speech from the pilot and I wasn't wrong.

Weird not gonna have this to "rely" on, been in my life for years and has a lot of nostalgia for a certain period of my life. Even though the show was barely worth watching after Fiona left, I still counted on it "being there..."

I was a bit buzzed so William H. Macy's final speech got to me, not gonna lie. And above all else I suppose, I'm happy Ian and Mickey got (and kept) their happy ending. That means a lot to a gay guy with no expectation for one. :'(
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 11:20:34 PM by Tasty »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A Mod
« Reply #18641 on: April 12, 2021, 09:12:54 AM »
I watched two episodes of Invincible out curiosity.
I'm not sure wtf is going on in this show.
On a 40 minutes episode (too long, btw) you have 35 min of what is essentially your run of the mill teenage drama cartoon, slightly aged up in some aspects.
And then they close it off with these Rick&Morty-style, comically gory fight scenes.  :lol

Tbh the normal part of the show is mostly uninteresting (also the characters are so generic, i don't understand if they're supposed to be parodies or not?) but the splatter fests are pretty fun to watch.
Maybe i should just look up a compilation of those.  :thinking

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18642 on: April 12, 2021, 09:46:56 AM »
I would have dropped it had the first episode not ended as it did.  Been enjoying it so far and I'm slightly invested in the story and characters at this point.   
NtGay

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18643 on: April 12, 2021, 10:02:22 AM »
Shameless US series finale

Some good moments but man feels like a lot of missed opportunities. I was 90% sure they'd do a full-circle thing with the burning car intro speech from the pilot and I wasn't wrong.

Weird not gonna have this to "rely" on, been in my life for years and has a lot of nostalgia for a certain period of my life. Even though the show was barely worth watching after Fiona left, I still counted on it "being there..."

I was a bit buzzed so William H. Macy's final speech got to me, not gonna lie. And above all else I suppose, I'm happy Ian and Mickey got (and kept) their happy ending. That means a lot to a gay guy with no expectation for one. :'(

You’re sweet, kind and loving. It will come. Only the loveless don’t find love. A good relationship can exist for you, please believe that. Bless up.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 11:06:29 AM by toku »

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #18644 on: April 12, 2021, 10:31:49 AM »
:heartbeat bless up, thank you man

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A Mod
« Reply #18645 on: April 12, 2021, 10:33:39 AM »
I would have dropped it had the first episode not ended as it did.  Been enjoying it so far and I'm slightly invested in the story and characters at this point.   
Me too.
I watched ep2 exactly for those last 2 minutes, but then ep2 followed the same formula (more or less) and left me confused as to what the point they're going for.
Is the teen stuff supposed to be ironic? Again, the use of violence is kind of comical (like i said, kind of like a Rick & Morty type show) but then the drama seems to be trying to be played straight?

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A Mod
« Reply #18646 on: April 14, 2021, 01:05:36 PM »
Ok, dropped it in the middle of ep3, when they had the Justice League try out or whatever.
I just can't with this humor.  :stahp

I'm enjoying season 2 of Solar Opposites though, this show in better than Rick&Morty tbh, same base humor, but it doesn't have the shitty "depressed Rick" moments and the annoying euphoric™ smugness.

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #18647 on: April 16, 2021, 08:29:10 AM »

Leon guarantees I'm on board.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A Mod
« Reply #18648 on: April 16, 2021, 11:09:58 AM »
Oh yeah, this looks like the CGi movies but in series form.
Top shelf schlock.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18649 on: April 16, 2021, 11:19:10 AM »
I enjoyed Falcon again.  Liked that so much of this episode was downtime.  The fight scene at the start was really impressive. 

Not sure I liked Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Madam Hydra though.
[close]
NtGay

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A Mod
« Reply #18650 on: April 17, 2021, 05:24:58 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18651 on: April 17, 2021, 05:40:57 PM »
Amazon has the money.
NtGay

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #18652 on: April 17, 2021, 06:17:23 PM »
Amazon has the money.

For now.

Isn't Bezos on the way out too? :thinking

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18653 on: April 18, 2021, 03:22:19 AM »
Amazon's 'The Lord of the Rings' to Cost $465M for Just One Season

This is dumb, but we'll see.
extended editions are already about 12 hours of lotr, that's like a series  :yeshrug gotta be other fantasy chit they coulda used  :snoop

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A Mod
« Reply #18654 on: April 18, 2021, 05:41:22 AM »
Amazon has the money.
That's true, but still, putting all those eggs into one basket? I guess they paid so much for the rights, that they HAD to go all in.
Personally i would've preferred to have 3 medium sized new shows, than a single gigantic one, especially since it can still be ruined by shitty writing (as the Game of Thrones later seasons demonstrated).

But at least it's spent on a world that kind of demands a high budget (fantasy epic) and not something completely cretin as to de-age Robert Deniro and Al Pacino.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18655 on: April 18, 2021, 07:15:54 AM »
Not sure I liked Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Madam Hydra though.
[close]