Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2047088 times)

Potato

• Senior's Member
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #18720 on: November 20, 2021, 04:46:26 AM »
It goes up and down. Lots of good ideas made tedious by bloat. Brandon Sanderson finished it off pretty well.
Spud

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18721 on: November 20, 2021, 05:07:20 PM »
Watched Ep.1 of Bebop.
Honestly worse than i was expecting.

On top of destroying any good idea they were given by the animated show on a silver platter, and i mentioned multiple times how i don't care about faithfulness to the source material, it really feels incredibly amateurish.
Glorified fan film level, even student film at times.

They struggle to have a decent establishing shot, cheap sets everywhere, every other shot is a completely flat angle out of some sketch comedy show at best.
The choreographies are played so slow, they feel like rehearsal footage, same for some line delivery, must've been first takes or something.
Also doesn't help that the writing, supposedly witty banter, feels like it's written by a computer.
Actual exchange that's supposed to be humorous:

*After Spike shot some baddies*

Jet: "Come on, Spike, we have to take them alive!"
       "How many times have I told you?"

*Spike shrugs*

one of the baddies jumps at Jet and he shoots her dead.

Spike: "Yeah, what was that about taking them alive?"

Jet (annoyed): "Shut up."

I mean, this is so devoid of any personality, it feels written by an AI.
Same for any time Faye opens her mouth.

I suggest you watch the whole "chase" (which is mostly cut here) with the space-ships in the anime and then this, especially the part where the woman gets killed by the machine guns, how it's edited and shot... tell me with a straight face, someone competent was behind the camera in the live action version.

Or you can just compare the opening heist with the opening heist the Cowboy Bebop movie (where it's taken from).

I wanted to go in detail describing the problems, but ICBA and they're mostly self evident.

I was reading so many positive comments on REE about it that i felt like i was taking crazy pills, the quality of pretty much everything is so low, it felt like a prank to me.

And i'm not even a massive fanboy of CB (i have nostalgia for it like anyone who watched it as a teen, but it's not my favorite anime or anything).

Another annoying thing is the use of music, of course an iconic part of the show (probably the most iconic part of the show) that, at least in ep.1, felt randomly thrown in, with no criteria.

So of course, I can't wait to watch ep.2 of this absolute train wreck, it's not every day you're graced with this level of awfulness.
Reminds me of watching the second Silent Hill movie, it felt like little precious gift from hell.  :doge

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18722 on: November 20, 2021, 05:08:48 PM »
And yeah i'm gonna check out Wheel of Time next, when i have some more free time.

Bebpo

« Reply #18723 on: November 20, 2021, 09:31:01 PM »
Watched Bebop ep1 and I liked it. Everyone seems to have a hate boner for it, but idk it's cheesy and stylish and decent for an anime to live action adaptation which are generally pretty goddamn awful because anime does not transition to live-action well at all once you leave realism and do zany anime. I thought Faye's actress was really good. Jett is super hammy, Spike is John Cho and Vicious is a cosplayer.

Like I watched Wheel of Time ep1 and Bebop ep1 was way better. Wheel of Time ep1 felt like they got some generic TV director/cinematographer and it had zero style to it. Whereas Bebop just oozed with style. Yeah it feels a bit amateurish and the costumes look like cosplay, but at least it's trying to be a fun stylish show which appeals to me. I guess sometimes I am more style > substance. I need shows to have some style to them to be watchable.

Hoping Wheel of Time ep2/3 have better direction. Like when Game of Thrones wanted a big gnarly medieval battle scene they hired Neil Marshell who could pull off the grit. Bezos has insane money, they should be able to hire bigger deal directors with style for their major shows like this and the upcoming LoTR TV.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18724 on: November 21, 2021, 04:16:48 AM »
WoT episode 2 is better and 3 is great.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #18725 on: November 21, 2021, 11:03:06 AM »
Yeah, I liked ep2. Much better directed.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #18726 on: November 21, 2021, 04:04:41 PM »
I began to watch Cowboy Bebop it's way better than I thought it would be, but it's awkward gunfights and fight choreography is definitely outside of whoever the director/directors wheelhouse and really brings it down which is a shame because they nailed the special effects and sets look pretty good for the most part.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Jett is pretty good, Harold is growing on me as Spike, Faye sucks though.
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #18727 on: November 21, 2021, 06:25:00 PM »
Eh, I've only seen ep1 & 2 of Bebop, but I thought Faye nailed the personality of Faye in ep1. Moreso than the other two.

Watched Wheel of Time ep3. Was solid, but I thought ep2 was the best of the 3 and ep1 was the worst. Definitely feels like a show that should've released all at once since it's very binge friendly.

I gotta say though that I think this is the first Prime Video show I've watched since getting my 4k TV and the bitrate on Wheel of Time (or I assume Prime Video 4k in general) is total shit. The whole show looks grainy in a jpg compression grain way. It really brings the image quality down.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18728 on: November 21, 2021, 07:37:02 PM »
I’ve been having some problems with frame hitching on Amazon prime streaming video. I don’t know if it’s a Japan only problem, or if it’s endemic lately. Perhaps Bezos has angered the deep state controlling net equality by flagrantly flying around in a penis shape rocket, I don’t know.

Japan has a different version of the app, or it at least behaves differently than the American version that I use when I’m back in the states. Where the US has content that allows selection of the audio and subtitles streams during playback, in Japan those elements are embedded, meaning there are two separate versions of a film: subbed and dubbed.

I’ve also noticed that it starts playing before it has a reasonable stream established, so the first 2 to 3 seconds are always very low resolution before full definition kicks in.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18729 on: November 21, 2021, 08:23:52 PM »
streaming nfl games on amazon is about 5 minutes behind  :doge maybe more  ::)

the bootleg streams I use a few seconds behind or nowhere near a minute, better picture at times to for some reason  :)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18730 on: November 21, 2021, 11:29:38 PM »
Arcane eps 3:  damn this is great

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18731 on: November 23, 2021, 08:02:41 PM »
Falcon and the Winter Soldier: Felt great right up until the last episode, when it's unclear why people who didn't get along are suddenly fine working together, and people who have been friendly are suddenly not.
Also, WTAF Sharon Carter, Cap's near-miss girlfriend has turned to evil? C'mon, True Believers, say it ain't so!
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #18732 on: November 23, 2021, 09:23:40 PM »
Reading the Hawkeye reviews I don't know why they went with 60min eps for this. Sounds like it's a fun low-key buddy comedy like the Fraction comic run. This would've worked well at 30 min eps.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #18734 on: November 24, 2021, 06:45:49 PM »
coming next, maybe Vic mackey wasn't the hero cop we thought he was :titus
(ice)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18735 on: November 24, 2021, 08:14:02 PM »
coming next, maybe Vic mackey wasn't the hero cop we thought he was :titus
If American cop movies have taught me anything, sometimes hero American cops just have to become judge, jury and executioner to protect freedom and the American way.

If The Black Guy™©® from Lethal Weapon can summarily execute criminals and face no consequences, then who are we to criticise Vic Mackey from taking a little Armenian moolah to feather his red, white and blue nest when that money was illegally gained anyway?
Spud

Quaker

« Reply #18736 on: November 24, 2021, 08:38:24 PM »
So the screencap has the header selectively cropped-out because it's some no-name website several tiers below Buzzfeed, right?

Making it a listicle and framing it as something that has "aged poorly" is fucking stupid but there are definitely a shitload of people who put up a lot of these antiheroes on pedestals as bad-ass motherfuckers, completely missing the point . Scarface, Fight Club, Breaking Bad, Taxi Driver, Mad Men...the fucking Joker(both Ledger and Phoenix).

I've been rewatching an episode a week since Covid lockdown for the first time since it aired and it still holds up as pretty much the best show ever made due to the depth of the characterization vs something like Sons of Anarchy. Part of that is that Tony is a hard-R racist piece of shit and the show doesn't let him off the hook for it.

I was kinda feeling a similar thing with Succession. Like some people are having a little bit too much fun with the characters, but this week's episode made it pretty clear they're all giant pieces of shit(except for Cousin Greg.)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18737 on: November 24, 2021, 08:47:52 PM »
Hawkeye ep1 is fun.  Seems like it will be Marvel's family holiday show -- gave me Home Alone vibes.

The Avengers Musical :dead
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18738 on: November 24, 2021, 08:55:09 PM »
Hawkeye ep1 is fun.  Seems like it will be Marvel's family holiday show -- gave me Home Alone vibes.

[close]

Watched it last night. Good fun! Did I miss it, or is Marvel entirely snubbing Matt Fraction as creator?

benjipwns

« Reply #18739 on: November 24, 2021, 08:57:15 PM »
So the screencap has the header selectively cropped-out because it's some no-name website several tiers below Buzzfeed, right?
Found it: https://screenrant.com/sopranos-tony-havent-aged-well/

Oddly, murder is not on the list. :lol

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18740 on: November 24, 2021, 09:00:48 PM »

[close]

Watched it last night. Good fun! Did I miss it, or is Marvel entirely snubbing Matt Fraction as creator?

No idea

ep 2: 

'Tony sold Avenger's tower a few years ago'  :hype
[close]

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18741 on: November 24, 2021, 09:50:25 PM »

Making it a listicle and framing it as something that has "aged poorly" is fucking stupid but there are definitely a shitload of people who put up a lot of these antiheroes on pedestals as bad-ass motherfuckers, completely missing the point . Scarface, Fight Club, Breaking Bad, Taxi Driver, Mad Men...the fucking Joker(both Ledger and Phoenix).
I'd say someone like Travis isn't even like someone like Walter White or Tony Montana, in that he's really a tragic character, veteran left alone with no help whatsoever, definitely deserving of more sympathy, if nothing else, and they're almost never portrayed doing anything remotely "badass" up until the final shootout (excluded).
They're weak, awkward (both in how they move and how they operate around other people) they run away, when spotted by the FBI guy etc.

Comparatively, the others in the list are usually carry out monstrous actions but are very capable, more intelligent or tough then those around them.

So when you idolize Travis, you don't idolize his bad-assery as much as you identify in his aimlessness, pain and confusion (even if subconsciously).

Although art is about personal interpretation anyway, so even if you do get the point, it can still read differently based on your values and ideas.
For example you can watch Starship Troopers, understand that it's a satire, but still see it as reinforcement of your fascist, militaristic viewpoint, if you genuinely value those aspects.

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #18742 on: November 24, 2021, 10:29:15 PM »

[close]

Pretty fucking shitty if so. matt fraction hawkeye run is the only marvel thing I've ever liked

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18743 on: November 25, 2021, 12:06:38 AM »
Found it: https://screenrant.com/sopranos-tony-havent-aged-well/

Oddly, murder is not on the list. :lol
thisisamerica.gif
Spud

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18744 on: November 25, 2021, 08:49:27 AM »
Did I miss it, or is Marvel entirely snubbing Matt Fraction as creator?
https://twitter.com/wandaskory/status/1452293731323940871

https://twitter.com/davaja/status/1452570596169113602

I think Jim Starlin mentioned he got more money from WB for a minor cameo of one of his characters in Justice League than he got from Disney for fucking creating / co-creating Thanos, Drax, Gamora and Shang-Chi too.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18745 on: November 27, 2021, 04:50:25 PM »
Oh man, don't sleep on Dopesick.

Outside of Ted Lasso, this is my favourite show of the year so far.
Spud

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #18746 on: November 27, 2021, 05:17:52 PM »
the name sux bad enough that I don't wanna watch it tho
(ice)

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #18747 on: November 27, 2021, 05:51:57 PM »
Did I miss it, or is Marvel entirely snubbing Matt Fraction as creator?
https://twitter.com/wandaskory/status/1452293731323940871

https://twitter.com/davaja/status/1452570596169113602

I think Jim Starlin mentioned he got more money from WB for a minor cameo of one of his characters in Justice League than he got from Disney for fucking creating / co-creating Thanos, Drax, Gamora and Shang-Chi too.

Marvel are so fucking lame.

That comic wasn't good because of their brilliant character idea of guy that shoots arrows good, it was cuz of aja's fucking amazing artwork and fraction's writing. typical they just ape everything about it and snub the people that made it good
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 05:57:44 PM by remy »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18748 on: November 27, 2021, 08:41:38 PM »
the name sux bad enough that I don't wanna watch it tho
It's got a meaning in the context. It's another term for withdrawal symptoms.
Spud

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18749 on: November 28, 2021, 10:15:46 AM »
Looks like Matt Fraction at least has an EP credit for Hakwguy, but I see David Aja getting fuck all is trending into the mainstream too.

I liked the Fraction run, and I really like who they've cast as Kate Bishop, but I struggled to pay attention to the first couple of eps of Hawkeye because it still stars Jeremy Charisma Vacuum Renner and Kates Disney Club perkiness can't outweigh it.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18750 on: November 29, 2021, 03:58:58 AM »
She's the actress from True Grit! She was AMAZING in that.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18751 on: November 29, 2021, 04:25:22 AM »
I mostly recognise her from the Pitch Perfect films :rofl

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18752 on: November 29, 2021, 11:31:04 PM »
I mostly recognise her from the Pitch Perfect films :rofl

She was also in some "teen spy" thing that was so execrable that I didn't even recognize her.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #18753 on: November 30, 2021, 01:10:43 AM »
My boy chrono here just straight up admitting to never having seen The Edge of Seventeen or the Eng dub of When Marnie Was There. What a loser!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18754 on: November 30, 2021, 03:38:08 AM »
My boy chrono here just straight up admitting to never having seen The Edge of Seventeen or the Eng dub of When Marnie Was There. What a loser!

:'( :'(  :'(

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18755 on: December 02, 2021, 07:32:36 PM »

This was great.

Bebpo

« Reply #18756 on: December 03, 2021, 11:48:50 PM »
Wheel of Time is a pretty dull show so far as of today's ep. I liked ep2 but last few eps have been on my phone a decent amount of the time. Supposedly ep6 is the really good ep for the season so maybe it'll pick up. Will at least stick with it for the rest of the season but it's not selling me on the books tbh.

Hawkeye is pretty mediocre too. Ep2 was the best of the first three and the show is great when it's the lead two cracking jokes off each other which is their whole dynamic and it's mediocre when it's focusing more on story and action stuff. Ep3 was fine, Ep1 was boring, Ep2 was great. I'm reading Fraction's run while watching this and the best scenes in this are the ones they adapt from Fraction's stuff like the trick arrow car chase sequence in ep3. Should just focus on more adaptation, less original boring ass MCU plotting.

Cowboy Bebop well I've made it through 3 eps now and I'm still enjoying it. I really think Vicious is a pretty terrible take on the character and Julia seems bad too. But I like this version of the main group. The show is just a very different tone from the anime. The anime was legit cool whereas the tv version is trying to be camp and is almost never actually cool. I think that's fine. I like campy stuff. They're just different.

Ted Lasso S2 I'm like 3-4 eps into S2 now that I'm finally watching it and it's good. Doesn't seem as good as S1, but I like the characters and it's still very enjoyable to watch them go through their arcs and is still pretty funny with good music choices.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18757 on: December 04, 2021, 12:18:24 AM »
Ted Lasso S2 I'm like 3-4 eps into S2 now that I'm finally watching it and it's good. Doesn't seem as good as S1, but I like the characters and it's still very enjoyable to watch them go through their arcs and is still pretty funny with good music choices.
Season 1 is hilarious and well paced and utterly brilliant, but I found Season 2 to be much more emotionally rooted and it had a much deeper connection with all of my emotions and hidden fears...which is kind of the point of the show.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #18758 on: December 04, 2021, 01:41:31 AM »
Season 1 is hilarious and well paced and utterly brilliant, but I found Season 2 to be much more emotionally rooted and it had a much deeper connection with all of my emotions and hidden fears...which is kind of the point of the show.

I think I just don't like

That Nate is just a boring no depth asshole now
[close]

I do like the new therapist character addition to the cast however.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18759 on: December 04, 2021, 03:18:49 AM »
There's a payoff to Nate's arc
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18760 on: December 04, 2021, 10:02:45 AM »
I'm loving Hawkeye, WoT is kinda meh so far.  Feels like they are going really fast.  First two episodes of Always Sunny were fun. 
Frank opening up an underground men's hair dying salon in a pornshop during the pandemic and then being the cause of rudy giuliani's runny dye job was amazing.
[close]

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #18761 on: December 05, 2021, 05:37:23 PM »
finished cowboy bebop and tbh it's pretty decent as long as you take it for what it is (Netflix Content)

ed the last scene tho :donot
[close]
(ice)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18762 on: December 06, 2021, 06:01:05 AM »
finished cowboy bebop and tbh it's pretty decent as long as you take it for what it is (Netflix Content)

[close]
Watched the first episode. Liked it a lot.

I've never watched the anime though, so my expectations are low.
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18763 on: December 08, 2021, 01:56:57 PM »
Hawkeye was a lot of fun.  I really love street-level shenanigans. 

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #18764 on: December 08, 2021, 02:03:14 PM »
Started with the final eps of Casa de Papel.

Probably won't bring anything new to the table but I wonder how it ends.
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18765 on: December 08, 2021, 02:17:25 PM »
Dopesick continues to be a really compelling show with surprising depth in characters and storytelling.

Watched the second episode of Cowboy Bebop. I do wonder how they managed to make bounty hunting space cowboys so bland. Still, I've watched worse so I'll stick with it for the moment.
Spud

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18766 on: December 09, 2021, 05:17:18 AM »

I had to drop it during this final season.
First two seasons (first heist) was dumb fun, but after that it was really obvious that they came back because they had to, with no material.
The idiocy (which to a degree was always there, mind you) went through the roof, and even some corny "woke" snippets here and there, that felt more like a mea-culpa for some shit in S1 (lol they glorify Berlin who was essentially a rapist, but now they beat up a guy because he's a "sexist"?) more than anything, in general everything felt very forced.
Most of all though, you really want all of them to die, fucking singing Bella Ciao while they steal money to go play expat in "exotic" locations.  :lol

Politically speaking, a really confused show.  :doge

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #18767 on: December 09, 2021, 05:55:03 AM »

[close]

The anime is on Netflix, too fyi fwiw btw

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18768 on: December 09, 2021, 02:38:10 PM »

[close]

The anime is on Netflix, too fyi fwiw btw
Anime  :kobeyuck :donot :trigger :nope :foodcourt :paul
Spud

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #18769 on: December 09, 2021, 03:03:29 PM »
tbf its a rare japanese hanime that isn't for paedophiles :lol
(ice)

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot

Bebpo

« Reply #18771 on: December 09, 2021, 09:17:59 PM »
Ya, kinda sucky.

Not that I would've watched S2 and idk when/if I'll finish S1, but pretty much killed any potential to improve based on feedback.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #18772 on: December 10, 2021, 07:43:10 PM »

I had to drop it during this final season.
First two seasons (first heist) was dumb fun, but after that it was really obvious that they came back because they had to, with no material.
The idiocy (which to a degree was always there, mind you) went through the roof, and even some corny "woke" snippets here and there, that felt more like a mea-culpa for some shit in S1 (lol they glorify Berlin who was essentially a rapist, but now they beat up a guy because he's a "sexist"?) more than anything, in general everything felt very forced.
Most of all though, you really want all of them to die, fucking singing Bella Ciao while they steal money to go play expat in "exotic" locations.  :lol

Politically speaking, a really confused show.  :doge
Watched the finale, it fits the show by this point but it felt a bit by the numbers.

alternate ending
It made no sense for Tamayo to cancel the execution and go along with the Professors plan. A better ending would've been if he executed them all, leaving the Professor with no choice but to confess that he lost the gold, otherwise it was his soon to be wife next. The cops find Alicia and Benjamin at the stand-off, as the shooting starts Berlin's son escapes the chaos with the help of Marseille along with his girlfriend and a few bars of gold. After the dust has settled he donates the gold to the church Berlin used as a hide-out. As he walks out he vows never to commit a crime again, thus breaking the endless cycle that his family is stuck in. The End.
[close]

That would've been a fitting end. Overall they really dropped the darker stuff from the first 2 seasons for more romance and Marvel type comic action fun as the series progressed.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #18773 on: December 13, 2021, 12:24:28 AM »
Was doing some spring cleaning in my place and discovered I bought Wheel of Time vol.1 when I was buying vol.1's of various fantasy series to backlog.

Still not really feeling the TV show. Ep6 was ok, mostly because the plot actually feels like it's moving forward now but I really don't care about any of these characters and the show feels pretty made-for-TV acting and not premium quality TV. The direction/cinematography is all pretty generic.

Wonder after S1 if I should try skimming the book to see if it reads better. The book is fucking big and looking at the table of contents it looks like the end of book 1 is the end of ep6? So basically nothing really happens in ep1-6 or book 1? Maybe I should read a summary and start with book 2... probably not going to watch a S2 of the TV show.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18774 on: December 13, 2021, 12:27:11 AM »
Book series is a different beast. It has been a long time since I read them, but the first 5-6 books are fantastic in my hazy, nostalgic recollection.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #18775 on: December 13, 2021, 12:29:24 AM »
Are the characters more interesting in the book? So far in 6eps most of them feel like B-movie characters. Moriane is like the only character with any development/depth so far in the show.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18776 on: December 13, 2021, 12:38:33 AM »
That's probably the most legitimate complaint about the show is the way they've sucked the characterisation that's so prevalent in the books. Each character feels much more individual in the books.

Give the first book a chance. If you don't love it, drop it because there's a ridiculous amount of words in that series even if you love it.
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev

benjipwns

Bebpo

« Reply #18779 on: December 13, 2021, 05:19:32 PM »
Lol, anime will never be cool