Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2059477 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #18480 on: June 17, 2021, 08:56:18 PM »
liked Lupin part 2.  maybe not as much as part 1 but it was good.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18481 on: June 18, 2021, 01:10:20 PM »
I'm waiting on Loki to binge, but just from the pitch I assumed it would be one of the stronger spin-offs, because the premise is good, the Loki character is interesting, and Tom Hiddleston is charismatic and watchable.

WandaVision had an interesting premise, and Falcon & Winter Solider are both characters in the MCU.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18482 on: June 18, 2021, 01:24:09 PM »
Finished up the latest series of Inside No 9 and its still a super solid anthology series where you're never entirely sure what you're going to get and how much they're going to be playing it spooky, dramatic or comedic.

Nice to see the... I dunno, league of gentlemen cinematic universe? :lol expand to include Psychoville

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18483 on: June 20, 2021, 11:13:13 PM »
Loki E2 was great. I hope the reveal didn't come too early in the piece though.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #18484 on: June 21, 2021, 01:02:20 AM »
Watched Loki 1-2, was fun. Hiddleston/Owen have a great dynamic.

Bebpo

« Reply #18485 on: June 21, 2021, 03:27:06 AM »
Watching Star Wars stuff it kind of bugs me that everyone person in the entire galaxy is always going to backstab everyone and needs bribes.

Like it's a very pessimistic view of the universe. Feels like decent people/aliens are few amd far between.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18486 on: June 21, 2021, 04:38:46 AM »
Watching Star Wars stuff it kind of bugs me that everyone person in the entire galaxy is always going to backstab everyone and needs bribes.

Like it's a very pessimistic view of the universe. Feels like decent people/aliens are few amd far between.
It feeds into the whole "evil empire controlling the galaxy" kind of setting though. No one trusts anyone because the Emperor is an evil manipulative bastard and rules by dividing and conquering.
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18487 on: June 22, 2021, 03:09:16 AM »
Anyone here into BLACK SUMMER? Friend is pushing it on me.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18488 on: June 22, 2021, 03:22:39 AM »
Anyone here into BLACK SUMMER? Friend is pushing it on me.
I watched one episode of S1 back when it came out.
Seemed like another zombie show with low budget to me.
It's supposed to be more grounded or realistic or whatever, but i didn't see that in the first episode, plenty of bad acting and melodrama.
Maybe it gets better.

Beezy

« Reply #18489 on: June 23, 2021, 09:23:38 AM »

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18490 on: June 23, 2021, 09:35:52 AM »
 :nepenthe :walkaway

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18491 on: June 23, 2021, 10:32:00 AM »
"true blind date chemistry" was already the one keeping dates behind a wall.
With this you can already see a bunch of crucial stuff like height, weight, titties, fitness, etc.

Shitty gimmick.  ::)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #18492 on: June 23, 2021, 02:29:37 PM »
New Loki wasnt as good bc no Owen Wilson
What

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18493 on: June 23, 2021, 02:38:10 PM »
Ya wasn't the best but it did give me good Doctor Who vibes which I liked.  That single take felt clunky.  I do like Lady Loki though.       

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #18494 on: June 23, 2021, 02:41:50 PM »
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #18495 on: June 23, 2021, 03:08:46 PM »
Ya wasn't the best but it did give me good Doctor Who vibes which I liked.  That single take felt clunky.  I do like Lady Loki though.     

And the premise is kinda ehhhh because you already know they are gonna get out and/or that Owen Wilson is coming to get them at the last second lol

That single take was messy, it was fairly noticable they were running around a set and it didnt look flowingly like people would react in such a situation, nevermind running into a club, getting into a fight (??) for no reason with 2 police officers and then running back out in a circle (?????)
What

jorma

« Reply #18496 on: June 24, 2021, 06:48:00 AM »
Netflix pushing the furry agenda
https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1407669776969715718

My pick? : Dolphin. They are sort of cute, and I always wanted to do it to someone with a blow hole. I have never had the balls to ask a woman to blow me. She eats with her mouth, and I think it would like looking down on women to ask them such a thing. I don't want to objectify them. But if I did it with a animal, with a blow hole, it would be like getting blowed, but sorta not. It would be like doing the missionary, doggystyle and blowjob, all in one.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18497 on: June 24, 2021, 07:04:00 AM »
Dolphins are the straight up rapists of the animal kingdom, It Is Known.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18498 on: June 25, 2021, 08:40:14 PM »
They set the new season of Bosch in 2019 and have a news flash about a mysterious Wuhan flu in the last episode  :dead

Also the Incel C-plotline  :dead

Good final season though.  Hope the spin-off works.

Bebpo

« Reply #18499 on: June 27, 2021, 01:58:39 PM »
Loki ep3 was alright, but uh oh feels like wasting 2eps of a 6ep show on ...filler

Get me back to Owen Wilson.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18500 on: June 27, 2021, 03:02:37 PM »
I liked e3 of Loki. Sylvie actor is very good and has the right mix of angry and charisma to be a good foil/mirror to Loki.
Spud

Tycoon Padre

« Reply #18501 on: June 27, 2021, 07:39:22 PM »
Watched the first three episodes of Made for Love. Between the great concept and the amount talent that's working on it, I'm shocked by how dull and bland it's been so far.

Finished Servant S2.
The show gets somewhat dumb here and there, but it was still fun, i'll watch a S3 for sure.
You can feel they're sort of going at random, compared to S1 though (maybe because they don't have another movie to rip off  :doge).
Hopefully S3 goes into Rosemary's baby territory, since i'm a sucker for Satanic cult shit.

S1 of Servant is genuinely great, and the show defintiely should have just ended after it, but S2 really is Shyamalan (and his daughter I guess?) in peak "The Happening" form. Super stupid but enjoyable schlock.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18502 on: June 28, 2021, 11:58:43 AM »
Watched the first three episodes of Made for Love. Between the great concept and the amount talent that's working on it, I'm shocked by how dull and bland it's been so far.

Finished Servant S2.
The show gets somewhat dumb here and there, but it was still fun, i'll watch a S3 for sure.
You can feel they're sort of going at random, compared to S1 though (maybe because they don't have another movie to rip off  :doge).
Hopefully S3 goes into Rosemary's baby territory, since i'm a sucker for Satanic cult shit.

S1 of Servant is genuinely great, and the show defintiely should have just ended after it, but S2 really is Shyamalan (and his daughter I guess?) in peak "The Happening" form. Super stupid but enjoyable schlock.
Yeah it's fun in a dumb way, but they didn't have material for more than one season clearly.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #18503 on: June 28, 2021, 10:56:14 PM »
I feel like Loki is in the Hitchhiker's Guide Universe.
rub

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18504 on: June 30, 2021, 04:37:28 AM »
Watched The Nevers Season 1 and really enjoyed it, as sick and tired and burnt out of capeshit as I now am in TV like I am in movies and comics  :lol

It's hitting a lot of the usual Whedon beats, but I generally like Whedons stuff (yes, even Dollhouse) and you can tell its a Mature superhero story for Mature people because tiddies and people say fuck  :lol

I'm also British, so a 6 episode season is pretty much par for the course - hopefully whoever they parachuted in after Joss got unpersoned as next show runner keeps things interesting, because it is pretty interesting even though, yeah, it is just Victorian Xmen: Days Of Future Past Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children Whedons run on Runaways hitting a lot of very familiar tropes, its still a step above something like Netflixs The Irregulars which is also hitting those exact same tropes.

Quit with superhero shit streaming services, or at least space out your raping of that golden goose to premature death a bit to give these shows a little time to breathe

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #18505 on: July 07, 2021, 03:12:57 PM »
New Loki was GREAT!
What

Bebpo

« Reply #18506 on: July 07, 2021, 08:29:05 PM »
Loki was ok, I liked the first couple eps better than the last few. Just feels like moving through the motions to get to the ending where something maybe actually happens.

The early ep stuff with Hiddleston and Wilson were what made the show for me initially.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18507 on: July 07, 2021, 10:47:19 PM »
Yep. Good episode, but out of all of the Marvel shows, this was the series which would have benefited from being longer. Give me some of that buddy cop action and hunting down more cool variants.
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18508 on: July 08, 2021, 10:26:12 AM »

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

:dead 

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18509 on: July 08, 2021, 03:42:46 PM »
So basically, The Void is where they dumped all of the stupid comic book shit.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #18510 on: July 08, 2021, 04:09:00 PM »
I mean it ain't a Marvel show if it doesn't have a ton of comic book easter eggs that do nothing but make comic fans go "omg look at that tiny debris building in the background for .5 seconds! That's so cool!"

I'd rather have had stuff like Frog Thor actually get a scene in the show vs a .25 second flyby clip. Easter eggs don't do much for me in terms of fanservice unless they lead to something.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #18511 on: July 08, 2021, 06:36:34 PM »
Somebody said Easter Eggs?

What

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18512 on: July 08, 2021, 08:17:14 PM »
2 episodes into the Resident Evil animated show.
It's as great as you can expect, if you liked the 3d movies.
The cheese and dumb fantasy-politics are there (with obligatory made up nation, too), but I want more monsters tho.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18513 on: July 08, 2021, 09:36:25 PM »
Is it based on previous movies or standalone?

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18514 on: July 08, 2021, 11:03:08 PM »
Is it based on previous movies or standalone?
Stand alone (so far), but also, i don't pretend to understand the web of nonsense that the Resident Evil lore is.
They reference RE2 and RE4, so those are canon.
IIRC every (3d) film is basically stand alone anyway.

Bebpo

« Reply #18515 on: July 08, 2021, 11:31:58 PM »
Somebody said Easter Eggs?

I'm excited for this because I feel like they can do weird shit that is too weird for mainstream MCU audience. It's honestly the D+ Marvel show I've been the most looking forward to.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18516 on: July 12, 2021, 11:05:48 PM »

This is looking good. I'll have to find someone's Apple TV sub to leech off for this.
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18517 on: July 14, 2021, 11:13:17 AM »
Loki was good.  Feel like this is a great setup for the next phases.

Looks like Kang will be the next big multi-show movie baddie.  Also, Loki getting a second season.
[close]

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18518 on: July 15, 2021, 07:56:52 AM »
Watched Loki because binging is superior to this drip-feed-episodes-because-we-have-little-else-to-keep-you-subscribed bullshit and it was... pretty good, overall, but not great.

Hiddleston was pretty much doing all the lifting here - he had a nice self realisation arc, but I dunno about the Sylvie relationship, although he's obviously a good enough actor to sell it.

I'm mostly disapointed they ultimately went - like Wandavision, and I presume because I havent watched it falcon and winter soldier - for a prequel to upcoming movies rather than something that really stands on its own, and I can't really say that they fluffed the landing, because they didn't fucking land it. They just mystery boxed for S2.

I saw a lot of people trying to compare it to Doctor Who, which... I kind of get, but not really? I think it's more like the Who fandom are just starving for something that isn't total shit.
Having said that, I'd really like S2 to get more episodic and less season arc mystery boxy; its such a good premise thats almost completely wasted just opening a mystery box to find a new mystery box inside each week.
Very expositiony, and not much actually happeningy. Learn from something like The Blacklist, where you can still have your mystery box thats unwrapped over the season, but do some actual shit during the episodes to establish why you are the character you are.

Also, Richard E Grant was fucking great.
[close]

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18519 on: July 15, 2021, 09:19:37 AM »
Finished the Resident Evil thing.
Unfortunately it wasn't nearly as fun as the other movies, in fact, it was dreadfully boring.
No cool monsters, no crazy action sequences... How the fuck do they fuck something so basic up?

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #18520 on: July 15, 2021, 08:30:13 PM »
Marvel Disney+ shows feel like WWE house shows.
rub

Bebpo

« Reply #18521 on: July 15, 2021, 09:08:19 PM »
Loki was entertaining. Was surprised they actually did something for once instead of just red herrings. More interested in some of the future MCU stuff now.

My biggest problem with Loki ep6 is by the end Loki in this show is not MARVEL UNIVERSE LOKI the character, but just your average hero character from anything else. Like they tried to make him so likeable he's just a normal guy and doesn't have the interesting angle of being Loki and a show about trickster Loki.

Conceptually I liked the one line Kang said about c'mon we're all villains here. I.e. I liked the idea of a show about a bunch of villians getting together to fight it out.

The problem is that Loki is not a villian anymore and even Sylvie despite murdering a bunch of TVA agents in ep1/2 was redeemed too hard that she's not a villian either so the concept of a show about villians doesn't actually work here. It's a couple of good guys vs Kang in the end.

Also while I'm glad we actually got Kang and Majors was great! I wish Kang actually did something instead of saving him actually doing anything for S2/Ant-Man. Not even giving his name for the casual audience was kinda of stupid too, oh no saving Kang reveal for later smh.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 01:27:35 AM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #18522 on: July 15, 2021, 10:06:59 PM »
Yeah, but there's a difference between at least being an anti-hero and just a puppy dog MCU hero character which he is by the end of this show. It just makes him less interesting.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18523 on: July 15, 2021, 10:24:07 PM »
Think that's just a consequence of only having 6 episodes and needing him to be the voice of reason character in the end.  I expect season 2 will backtrack to more of the status quo and have at least an episode of him and Sylvie being chaotic assholes.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18524 on: July 15, 2021, 10:28:07 PM »
All these people out here watching Loki or whatever when they could be watching Corncob TV's hottest show: Coffin Flop.

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1415450680597254144
dog

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18525 on: July 16, 2021, 05:04:28 AM »
Loki was entertaining. Was surprised they actually did something for once instead of just red herrings. More interested in some of the future MCU stuff now.

My biggest problem with Loki ep6 is by the end Loki in this show is not MARVEL UNIVERSE LOKI the character, but just your average hero character from anything else. Like they tried to make him so likeable he's just a normal guy and doesn't have the interesting angle of being Loki and a show about trickster Loki.

Some actual meat to the bones and showing Loki being Loki instead of just effectively walking from exposition unlock to exposition unlock episode by episode would have made a huge difference; like, the tease of Loki as D.B. Cooper, or the tease of Presidential Candidate Loki shouldn't just be obvious trailer bait, thats the show it should have been. Like Quantum Leap meets Leverage, where he has to go fix / fuck up something by being Loki, and doing so with a broad 'ends justify the means' mandate all while he's pursuing his own agenda.

e: it might be because I'm watching The Blacklist at the moment that it's fresh on my mind, but that's the kind of structure the show should have had; obviously untrustworthy but likeable bad guy doing ultimately good things but also obviously doing some other shit for his own benefit his handlers can see is going on but not figure out what or why.
Maybe with Sylvie as corresponding 'counter agent' and Moebius as his frustrated handler, rather than the love of his life and his BFF respectively, over what appears to be the span of about a fucking day in universe time.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 05:13:03 AM by GreatSageEqualOfHeaven »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18526 on: July 18, 2021, 03:21:27 AM »
One episode in to Lupin. Great so far.
Spud

Beezy

« Reply #18527 on: July 18, 2021, 12:54:10 PM »
Lupin was good fun. I'm looking forward to wherever they decide to go with the 3rd season.

Bebpo

« Reply #18528 on: July 19, 2021, 01:07:12 AM »
Tried watching the first two eps of that new apple+ show Schmigadoon. Kinda surprised at the high RT and audience scores. I like musicals and satires and Keegan-Michael Key but getting through those two eps was tough. Some good bits but thought it was pretty dull. Probably gonna bail.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18529 on: July 19, 2021, 10:02:55 AM »
Anybody started The North Water yet? I'm waiting for a couple more episodes to come out, before i jump in.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #18530 on: July 19, 2021, 11:33:28 AM »
I binged the first season of Tuca & Bertie over the weekend. Really good show and the character animation style is great. The creator is the design boss for Bojack Horseman.
rub

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #18531 on: July 26, 2021, 11:23:23 AM »

Bebpo

« Reply #18532 on: July 27, 2021, 01:51:25 AM »
Been going through Ted Lasso S1 and it's so good. One of the most charming shows I've ever seen. Glad to see it has a ton of Emmy Noms. Hopefully it cleans house.

Also checking out other Apple+ stuff finally and watched a couple eps of Mythic Quest S1. It's ok, funny enough to keep watching it but not as funny as a lot of better comedies. Maybe it just takes a bit to find its groove.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18533 on: July 27, 2021, 02:02:01 AM »
I just managed to leech someone's Apple TV log in and Ted Lasso is what they recommended. Gonna get into it tonight.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #18534 on: July 27, 2021, 02:19:59 AM »
Oh and I watched Schmigadoon ep3 and it's still not good, but I guess since there's only 3 eps left I may finish it.

Key & Peele was a fantastic skit show and Jordan Peele has gone on to great things, but has Keegan-Michael Key gone on to do anything good? I feel like he just plays the same annoying unlikeable guy in everything.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18535 on: July 28, 2021, 04:01:06 PM »
Really hope Bob Odenkirk is ok.  :-\

Yes, also for selfish reasons, because i love BCS, but i like the dude, too.
[close]

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18536 on: July 29, 2021, 10:12:12 AM »
Masters of the Universe: Revelation

Pretty fun show, I don't know why people are so mad. (I mean, I do, but I just don't care.)
©@©™

Snoopycat_

« Reply #18537 on: July 30, 2021, 04:43:46 AM »
I started watching Kim's Convenience cos people are claiming it's as good as Schitt's Creek. I've seen 6 episodes so far and it's alright, but nah, it's not on Schitt's level.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18538 on: August 01, 2021, 11:20:11 PM »
Been watching Sherlock, I only ever watched the first series back when it came out. I think I still prefer Elementary's version of the Sherlock Holmes Extended Universe.

It can get very overwrought, especially with the music and the scene pacing. It can become ninety minutes dragging into feeling like four hours. I think the best episodes of both series are actually the ones where it's Sherlock and Joa- er, John just solving cases (that don't have to involve murder either!) that unravel naturally rather than trying to be some complex globe spanning conspiracy show that has to CONSTANTLY. UP. THE. STAKES. Elementary's Moriarity structure and setup is also better imo seeing the full scope of each's take, even if they could never really run with it due to the actress problems.

I still have the final, fourth series, to go, but I liked Elementary's final season-long villain (which structure also applies to the first season, which I think is the best of both) as more proper stakes of the kind of "Big Bad" to test a Sherlock over time. Overall, I do like both though and am just comparing them because that was what everyone did back when they both came out around the same time. I like that they're both distinct enough and find it funny that the more dramatic bits of both are some of my least favorite aspects compared to the more procedural natures. Often it feels the other way around, but I guess I don't mind when it comes to this or one of the actually great clones (like Monk, Psych, etc.) of this setup.

Just need to somehow cleanse my brain of the Sherlock theme because I think I really hate it at this point.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #18539 on: August 01, 2021, 11:29:13 PM »
I couldn’t even finish the first episode of Sherlock season 4, it’s so dumb.  Overwrought is a perfect descriptor of the series, and I feel that despite the more procedural nature of Elementary, that show has aged far better as a modern Sherlock adaptation.  Both Cumberbatch and Miller play their roles well, but I feel like somewhere in the third season the BBC show almost turns into farce.  Plus, I really enjoyed the feedback loop of Sherlock’s destructive and obsessive nature paired with his drug addiction and a lady Moriarty.

This also reminded me I still need to finish Elementary.  If I remember right, the last season I left off there had been a fire at the townhome, and Sherlock was getting an MRI or something.