Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2047018 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #19080 on: May 05, 2022, 04:56:59 AM »
Started the final season, it's so good.

Kim is one evil bitch  :whew
🤴

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19081 on: May 05, 2022, 02:21:55 PM »
yeah, BCS is still fucking great. Nacho is a straight up G, but I'm kinda glad that subplot is mostly wrapped up (until Lalos return) so we can focus on the main named character of the shows story again.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19082 on: May 05, 2022, 03:09:12 PM »
 :nope  Jimmy episodes
 :ohyeah Nacho episodes
Spud

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19083 on: May 05, 2022, 07:10:49 PM »
Mike Myers has a new show as well which seems allright

What

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19084 on: May 05, 2022, 11:42:26 PM »
The first episode is a mostly unoffensive 90's throwback.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #19085 on: May 06, 2022, 06:35:55 AM »

:rejoice

Polident Hive

« Reply #19086 on: May 06, 2022, 09:38:03 AM »
Atlanta’s latest episode, man. How.

Last week’s was the first miss this season. This was full form.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19087 on: May 06, 2022, 10:43:18 AM »
The first episode is a mostly unoffensive 90's throwback.

Some of the jokes kinda miss but its still funny I think. Loved the "tv quality is bad in canada" joke 🙂
What

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19088 on: May 06, 2022, 10:53:23 AM »
Ya, I'm liking it, but it's very much based on nostalgia for Mike Myers.

Nuitangg

« Reply #19089 on: May 06, 2022, 12:26:43 PM »
Apologies to Ozark fans but that final season was god awful.

Quaker

« Reply #19090 on: May 07, 2022, 02:15:43 AM »
Atlanta’s latest episode, man. How.

Last week’s was the first miss this season. This was full form.
I still like even the vignette episodes but I'm really glad I was able to watch this episode without even a hint about that scene. 

:delicious

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #19091 on: May 08, 2022, 02:25:36 AM »
Well finished Justified. It was good. There were a lot of fun characters like Duffy and Dewey Crowe. I wasn't too sure about Timothy Elephant. I've never seen an actor who looked so pleased with himself. It was Ava and Boyd that kept me watching. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the reason most people did. Sam Elliot looked weird as fuck without his moustache. I read they're making a new series but after that shite Sopranos thing maybe they should leave it alone. It had a good ending. No reason to risk fucking it up.
I've said it before but everything about Sam Elliott's head almost ruins his season.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19092 on: May 08, 2022, 03:46:50 AM »
The Dropout is pretty good. I think I liked Dopesick more, but this was pretty damn good.
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19093 on: May 11, 2022, 03:47:53 AM »
Son of Zorn. Why have I never watched this before?
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #19094 on: May 11, 2022, 05:41:51 AM »
Watched Barry S1. Was good, but kind of feels like a more comedic Breaking Bad.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19095 on: May 11, 2022, 08:17:34 PM »
I really enjoyed it. HBO content is hard to get in Japan without The Internet Store. S1 was on amazon prime japan a year after its USA launch, then disappeared. No idea when S2 will arrive.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19096 on: May 11, 2022, 08:30:57 PM »
The Righteous Gemstones ep 1 was fun

Polident Hive

« Reply #19097 on: May 11, 2022, 10:18:16 PM »
I really enjoyed it. HBO content is hard to get in Japan without The Internet Store. S1 was on amazon prime japan a year after its USA launch, then disappeared. No idea when S2 will arrive.

Back when I was frequently traveling for work, I set up a VPN at my family house to still access all that. Commercial VPNs advertise international Netflix and such but it tends to get blocked. That’s preamble to say, I was somewhere in Japan when Barry’s second season was airing. Watched it on my iPad at the hotel. There’s one episode that so good I wrote a note reminding myself to rewatch it on my TV when I got home.

Season 3 started up this past month. It’s alright so far.

Bebpo

« Reply #19098 on: May 11, 2022, 10:45:29 PM »
I started watching The Flight Attendant after finishing Barry S1, a few eps in and...I don't think this is actually good? Like the main character is super annoying and I'm not a fan of the directing style. And the plot seems pretty generic. Might finish it out, might not idk.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #19099 on: May 13, 2022, 01:31:18 AM »
https://www.netflix.com/watch/80149616?trackId=255824129

Rewatching the netflix special that launched a bunch of the political epidemics that have come upon us.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19100 on: May 13, 2022, 02:40:37 AM »
I started watching The Flight Attendant after finishing Barry S1, a few eps in and...I don't think this is actually good? Like the main character is super annoying and I'm not a fan of the directing style. And the plot seems pretty generic. Might finish it out, might not idk.

WRONG! BAD CHOICE. Go with your gut.

Bebpo

« Reply #19101 on: May 13, 2022, 02:50:41 AM »

WRONG! BAD CHOICE. Go with your gut.

Too late, almost done. I'm enjoying it more after they start giving the main character a backstory for why she's always making the worst decisions. She's still...not a great lead. The plot also feels pretty generic and it's always these close call situations that are totally unrealistic that she unrealistically gets out of. It's just not a very well written show. Also the corporate espionage side story with Rosie Perez  is like why do I care about this?

Things I like in the show:

-David Mamet's daughter lawyer character who is like sorta a clone Anna Kendrick
-Her boyfriend Max who is great
-The dead guy from Haunting of Hill House is ok and has a nice beard
-The black guy whose her flight attendant friend is awesome
-The costume design is pretty good, lots of nice outfits

I don't think I'll watch the new season but I'll finish this one out and then watch something better. I feel like this show would've worked better if it was more like Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas solving a murder mystery and running from assassins while having gags while totally wasted and unhinged.

Also it kind of reminds me of Russian Doll as they're both alcoholics chasing mysteries, but that was way better. When I resub to Netflix someday I should watch S2 of that.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 06:11:51 AM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #19102 on: May 14, 2022, 03:16:50 AM »
Yeah, finished Flight Attendant S1 and was just ok. I'm not on board with "character is totally terrible and then in the last hour suddenly realizes they are terrible and changes and are now decent" on top of just the ridiculousness of the entire plot.

All the reviews say S2 is less good, and the character still hasn't learned anything, so that's a pass.

Started watching The Essex Serpent because Victorian loch ness hunting with Danes and Hiddleston is my kind of jam. I heard the book was pretty dull and show is alright so far. It looks nice and Danes is giving a great performance, but definitely a slower flick and more character drama than my kind of period piece horror.

Quaker

« Reply #19103 on: May 15, 2022, 09:10:31 PM »
Pachinko was pretty good. Embarrassed that I hadn't considered how fucked up Korean/Japanese relations had been before.
The Righteous Gemstones ep 1 was fun
I like how those guys(Danny McBride/Jody Hill/David Gordon Green) are able to make fun of The South/religion without coming across as condescending pricks while giving the characters enough room to not be 100% irredeemable.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19104 on: May 15, 2022, 10:28:09 PM »
Ya same with the balance of them being grifters but still true believers.  I'm on season 2 now.  I started watching the show because Tim Baltz is hilarious
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 10:37:00 PM by Madrun Badrun »

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19105 on: May 16, 2022, 07:24:00 AM »

Super excited, season one was awesome!

Just watched the pilot. The idea that she gets fired for telling a joke on twitter about a gay Republican supporting conversion-therapy seems unrealistic.

Tasty

« Reply #19106 on: May 16, 2022, 08:00:34 AM »
Her storyline is kinda unrealistic and exaggerated in general. It becomes somewhat of a critique of both younger and older generations.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19107 on: May 16, 2022, 06:13:58 PM »
Righteous Gemstones is really great.  Season 2 is zanier and has less serious moments but I still thought it was great. 

Polident Hive

« Reply #19108 on: May 16, 2022, 06:32:55 PM »
What’s amazing about Gemstones is how it all seems like hyper parody, yet so many of the crazy ideas are real, if not toned down for the show. The Evangelical Christian muscle boys are a real thing. Virgin power.

I was watching Observe and Report again the other day. Entertaining but the weakest thing these guys made. Had Danny McBride led it, I think it would’ve been better. What I understand there were concerns over marketability, hence using Seth Rogen.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19109 on: May 16, 2022, 06:53:59 PM »
My favorite line from this season was:

'Take your muscle boys and go home'
'They are muscle men, daddy!'

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19110 on: May 17, 2022, 07:08:20 PM »

CGI looks a bit wonky but I'm looking forward to it.

Tasty

« Reply #19111 on: May 17, 2022, 07:31:02 PM »

Marvel knows what they're doing, I probably wouldn't have given this a shot without Ruffalo/Smart Hulk. Apparently Wong will be in it too, interested to see how what they do with his story continuing from Strange 2.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19112 on: May 17, 2022, 07:33:05 PM »
I'm also more hyped than I want to admit but mostly because Tatiana Maslany is from Saskatchewan. 

Tasty

« Reply #19113 on: May 17, 2022, 07:39:37 PM »
I really enjoyed the first season of Orphan Black, she was easily the highlight.

Bebpo

« Reply #19114 on: May 17, 2022, 08:45:03 PM »

The She Hulk law firm comics are pretty fun so I think this could be enjoyable like Hawkeye.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19115 on: May 17, 2022, 11:56:48 PM »
The Lincoln Lawyer was not good. 

Tasty

« Reply #19116 on: May 19, 2022, 07:18:49 PM »
Vulture's Buffering newsletter...

The last time a new episode of Stranger Things appeared, the Democrats hoping to replace Donald Trump as president had just held their first debate, masks were still something most people only thought about on Halloween, and Netflix stock was trading at close to $380 per share (or two times its current value). So yeah, it really has been forever since we last checked in on Eleven and her nerdy band of brothers, but the drought for Stranger Things fans is finally ready to break.

Goddamn...

Tasty

« Reply #19117 on: May 19, 2022, 08:20:58 PM »
Netflix has already announced the Doritos-sponsored virtual concert “Live From the Upside Down,” featuring Charli XCX and ’80s icons the Go-Go’s, Corey Hart, and Soft Cell. It launches June 23, a week before volume two lands.

:mindblown

Tasty

« Reply #19118 on: May 19, 2022, 08:59:49 PM »
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/daredevil-disney-plus-series-matt-corman-chris-ord-1235272299/

Two minor worries:

- These are potentially the weakest showrunners yet, based on resumes. I really wanted Erik Oleson back; it's unfortunate the showrunner has changed every season so far...
- If it's not TV-MA, what's the point?

Bebpo

« Reply #19120 on: May 20, 2022, 12:46:04 AM »
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/daredevil-disney-plus-series-matt-corman-chris-ord-1235272299/

(Image removed from quote.)

Two minor worries:

- These are potentially the weakest showrunners yet, based on resumes. I really wanted Erik Oleson back; it's unfortunate the showrunner has changed every season so far...
- If it's not TV-MA, what's the point?

Yeah, when shitty showrunners are involved it usually doesn't come out well. See Iron Fist and Inhumans. Hopefully these guys aren't that mediocre but I can see a Moon Knight quality kind of Daredevil Season which would just be forgettable. But no harm in trying.

Bebpo

« Reply #19121 on: May 23, 2022, 12:36:43 AM »
Caught up on Wellington Paranormal S1 & S2 - So like, it's a cute show with some laughs and it's very fine for background entertainment and a great look at what I assume daily life in NZ is like, but like...I honestly think this is a pretty bad show  :lol  Compared to What we Do in the Shadows TV or anything else Taika had involvement with, this feels real bargin bin in terms of amount of decent jokes per ep. Very watchable thanks to it being kind of charming in its dumbness, but I don't actually think either since is legit good.

I do hope if he hasn't already, Taika gets the Sergeant Makka guy into the MCU. That guy is great.

Quaker

« Reply #19122 on: May 23, 2022, 11:17:44 PM »
Caught up on Wellington Paranormal S1 & S2 - So like, it's a cute show with some laughs and it's very fine for background entertainment and a great look at what I assume daily life in NZ is like, but like...I honestly think this is a pretty bad show  :lol  Compared to What we Do in the Shadows TV or anything else Taika had involvement with, this feels real bargin bin in terms of amount of decent jokes per ep. Very watchable thanks to it being kind of charming in its dumbness, but I don't actually think either since is legit good.

I do hope if he hasn't already, Taika gets the Sergeant Makka guy into the MCU. That guy is great.
I only saw the first couple of episodes but Taika was on a gay pirate show on HBO a few months ago and it wasn't half bad.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19123 on: May 24, 2022, 06:37:55 AM »
Better Call Saul S6E7
 :lawd :mindblown :whoo :ohhh :rejoice :preach :ohyeah :preach :klob :cruise :delicious
Spud

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #19125 on: May 24, 2022, 11:44:19 AM »
Anyone watching Time Traveler's wife?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
dude game himself a blowjob
[close]

Potato

• Senior's Member
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #19127 on: May 24, 2022, 03:51:47 PM »
Stranger Things S1 was so drawn out and slow paced. I never even watched S2. I like the concept of the series and the cast. I just didn't think it was very well directed.

Not surprised that when they went all "every ep is now a $30 million dollar 90 minute movie!" it turned out even worse.

Tasty

« Reply #19128 on: May 24, 2022, 04:00:32 PM »
‘Stranger Things 4’ Review: A Mopey, Meandering Season 4 Loses Steam Fast

Stranger Things levels up in horror, but not so much in character

Review: 'Stranger Things' loses its magic in scary but soulless Season 4

(Image removed from quote.)
I'm going to say that Stranger Things has been primed for a backlash from critics for a while now, but audiences are still going to enjoy it.

Geek sites like IGN are giving it rave reviews so yup pretty much.

I honestly though it was out last week and went to watch it and got kinda annoyed. :lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #19129 on: May 24, 2022, 05:37:06 PM »
🤴

Polident Hive

« Reply #19131 on: May 24, 2022, 10:39:29 PM »
Netflix goes overboard when some of what they toss out sticks. La Casa de Papel / Money Heist was a two part self contained story. Got incredibly popular. They dragged it out for another three parts. There’s a South Korean remake. A prequel series following a character who died in part 2. Why. Somehow Tiger King got two additional seasons. Emily in Paris will get an anime spin off in time. With Stranger Things, are they moving into 90s nostalgia this season? Will really gets into Pearl Jam. Steve fights in the gulf war. Furbys.

Tasty

« Reply #19132 on: May 24, 2022, 10:46:10 PM »
With Stranger Things, are they moving into 90s nostalgia this season? Will really gets into Pearl Jam. Steve fights in the gulf war. Furbys.

1988 will be the arbitrary end of the series chronology.

https://deadline.com/2022/04/stranger-things-duffer-brothers-winona-ryder-season-4-interview-contenders-tv-1234999174/

The Duffers also acknowledged that the 80s timeline of the series was creeping up on the real-world ascendence of Winona Ryder as a major movie star: her next film in the chronological flow would be Beetlejuice, a pop culture sensation that the show’s kids would most certainly buy tickets for.

“That’s the threshold we can’t cross, which is once Winona is a superstar in the world, like the show has to stop, because [the kids’ heads] will spontaneously combust or something,” laughed Matt,

“That’s the final scene: the kids go to see Beetlejuice and their heads explode,” offered Ross.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #19133 on: May 25, 2022, 07:05:19 PM »
https://twitter.com/MCU_Direct/status/1529597024663904257

:wut

I guess the CG department is a bit overstretched
🤴

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19134 on: May 26, 2022, 01:08:16 PM »
AND YOUR LITTLE DOG TOO!

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19135 on: May 27, 2022, 07:56:50 AM »
Stranger Things Episode 1 was good
Spud

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #19136 on: May 27, 2022, 02:50:51 PM »
Stranger Things Episode 1 was good

I agree, I’m up to episode 4 and it’s been pretty great so far.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19137 on: May 27, 2022, 02:54:28 PM »
Nowhere near as interesting as watching the trial of the century

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #19138 on: May 27, 2022, 10:00:40 PM »
Finished the first 7 episodes of Stranger Things, the episodes were definitely long but I found the story advanced at a fine pace and the payoffs were well worth it.  Looking forward to the final two episodes of the season in July.

Polident Hive

« Reply #19139 on: May 29, 2022, 09:32:42 AM »
First four episodes of Stranger Things 4 are good. For the fuss about overindulgence, budget and runtime, it’s justifying it. Mostly. Fitting in $10 to get Will a haircut would’ve been nice.