Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2046412 times)

Tasty

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #19140 on: May 29, 2022, 09:47:50 AM »
Despite dumping on it a little pre-release, I also enjoyed ST4 quite a bit. Feels a lot better than S3 already, but I don't remember my specific complaints with S3 other than I just didn't engage with it...

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19141 on: May 29, 2022, 03:12:50 PM »
First four episodes of Stranger Things 4 are good. For the fuss about overindulgence, budget and runtime, it’s justifying it. Mostly. Fitting in $10 to get Will a haircut would’ve been nice.
I'm three episodes in, really enjoying it, but god damn if Will isn't the most useless character ever conceived in a TV series ever. Surely they could have come up with something for him to do after this long?
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19142 on: May 29, 2022, 03:30:28 PM »
On episode 3 and everything is great so far.  They are doing a good job at making you care for the secondary characters compared to season 3.  Will doing nothing but staring anxiously at every bad situation is pretty funny. 

Beezy

« Reply #19143 on: May 29, 2022, 05:40:22 PM »
I saw a lot of complaints online about the length of the episodes this season, but none of them have overstayed their welcome for me or have unnecessary scenes that need ot be cut. I'm five episodes in.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

Tasty

« Reply #19145 on: May 30, 2022, 12:39:05 PM »
Imagine if Trump+ actually revives a ton of critically-acclaimed and well-liked HBO and Netflix shows. 😂

therealdeal

« Reply #19146 on: May 30, 2022, 01:36:37 PM »
Stranger Things was okay, feels kinda paint by numbers and just iterating through the tropes but overall still held my interest and was entertaining for the most part

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19147 on: May 30, 2022, 06:52:00 PM »
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19148 on: May 31, 2022, 09:03:49 AM »

Nice
What

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19149 on: May 31, 2022, 09:30:50 AM »
Stranger things was good.  Weird that they left the last 2 episodes for a month.  So far it's more fun than season 3.  I really liked the character group splits and how well they managed the majority of the characters. 

Coax

« Reply #19150 on: May 31, 2022, 09:42:19 AM »

Reminds me of a clip of an Indian film about a fly that wants revenge and the destruction that ensues as people try to kill it.

Beezy

« Reply #19151 on: May 31, 2022, 12:51:58 PM »
Stranger Things s4 has been pretty great. I'm kinda hyped for the final 2 episodes in a month.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19152 on: May 31, 2022, 01:42:19 PM »

Mr Bean, we're already in enough trouble with Gus, you gotta stop obsessing over this bee and we need to do a cook, bitch

Polident Hive

« Reply #19153 on: May 31, 2022, 07:04:21 PM »
Maybe a bold statement, but stranger things remains the best “big summer movie” show on these streaming services.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19154 on: June 01, 2022, 07:26:47 AM »
The Lincoln Lawyer was not good.

It's not David Kelleys best, but its also not his worst :idont

Even though Based On A Book is written all over it with the amount of convenient character interlinks and it has a definitive ending to that case in particular, the setup is good and I'd watch a The Practise style case-of-the-week procedural.

I spent most of the time watching it thinking they should have cast that dude as Nathan Drake instead of spiderman though.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19155 on: June 01, 2022, 07:51:46 AM »
I think this series of Stranger Things is the best so far... probably better than the first even, so it deserves the hype its currently getting. Plus that Kate Bush sequence was pretty hype, and apparently is responsible for a bit of a mini Kate Bush resurgence, so that's good too.

Plotwise:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
  • the Van Halen dude looks like he's pushing 30, wtf is he in high school for?  :lol
  • it was super obvious the dude who looks like he was in Phantasm was the bad guy / one when he started with the 'I used to know One' / 'give in to the dark side' shtick, and it was also super obvious he was the kid from freddy kreugers monologue, but its nice to feel smart when you figure stuff out before the story tells you
  • The timeline of events seems super iffy; he was a 10 year old in the 50s but was then in a project that seems to have only really got going in the mid 80s? He also didn't look like he was pushing 50 when he got down-undered?
  • I appreciate Stranger Things ongoing commitment to regular looking fat old white dudes being surprisingly bad ass when they need to
[close]

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19156 on: June 01, 2022, 08:32:44 AM »
Why we gotta wait until Juli man I binged all the episodes in 2 days so im ready for more

Fuck you Vecna (costume photo below)

[close]
I didnt know it wasnt all CGI thats cool af

Stuff with Yuri was all gold
What

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19157 on: June 01, 2022, 08:47:34 AM »
Brett Gelman (Murray) is actually really funny

NSFW

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19158 on: June 01, 2022, 09:11:38 AM »
Yeah, he's Fleabag's douche brother-in-law too

Polident Hive

« Reply #19159 on: June 03, 2022, 08:29:10 AM »
The Boys S3 is on.

That scene had me wincing and borderline :exxy

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19160 on: June 03, 2022, 04:47:38 PM »
Can't wait!!
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #19161 on: June 04, 2022, 05:43:41 PM »

Yeah... this is in my top 3 TV scenes of all time.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19162 on: June 04, 2022, 05:53:48 PM »
What are the other 2

Tasty

« Reply #19163 on: June 04, 2022, 06:01:25 PM »

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19164 on: June 04, 2022, 06:02:10 PM »
Oh

Tasty

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19166 on: June 04, 2022, 06:10:01 PM »
I havn't even watched Succession and I know that the water bottle scene is better than that one

:cmonson

Tasty

« Reply #19167 on: June 04, 2022, 06:23:32 PM »
I havn't even watched Succession and I know that the water bottle scene is better than that one

That one's not even in the Succession top 3.

Bebpo

« Reply #19168 on: June 06, 2022, 03:27:20 AM »
The Afterparty was really good  :o

Like I was already on the Lord & Miller train after the Jump Street movies, Lego Movie, Spider-Verse, but this just seals the deal. They make incredibly wholesome enjoyable comedies that actually have solid stories and great characters and good laughs. Some great eps in here like the musical and the animated bear mom. One of the better shows I've seen, to the point that I'd like them to do a Knives Out 2/3 thing and do a sequel at some point with a different murder mystery who dunnit that can be the

Same police duo and Aniq helping out as consultant
[close]

Sam Richardson was great and I think this was the show people were saying was Ben Schwartz's best performance and yeah he was pretty good. Everyone was good. Great cast playing great characters. Very much worth a watch.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19169 on: June 07, 2022, 05:10:36 AM »
Yes

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19170 on: June 07, 2022, 05:44:25 PM »
The Afterparty (very mild) spoilers

The phone dying should have ended the phone call

[close]

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19171 on: June 07, 2022, 11:06:20 PM »
Very happy with where The Boys S3 is going so far.
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #19172 on: June 07, 2022, 11:17:48 PM »
J.J. Abrams Series ‘Demimonde’ Dead At HBO Over Budget Issues

Bought by HBO four years ago with a straight-to-series order, Demimonde, which was  developed and sold under Bad Robot’s previous WBTV pact, was still in early pre-production when the plug was pulled.

4 years and still nothing to really show for it, and a $200+ mil price tag... can't really blame WB.

Tasty

« Reply #19173 on: June 07, 2022, 11:23:58 PM »
‘Tokyo Vice’ Renewed for Season 2 at HBO Max

Finally started watching this and it instantly drew me in. I didn't like Elgort much before this but I think there's something to him now, he's great in this. And Watanabe always elevates the work he's in.

Glad this wasn't a one-and-done. Hopefully Mann comes back to direct more episodes himself.

Bebpo

« Reply #19174 on: June 07, 2022, 11:27:43 PM »
I heard the ending fucking sucks, so wasn't gonna watch it if S2 didn't happen. Might watch it now.

Bebpo

« Reply #19175 on: June 08, 2022, 01:11:30 AM »
I tried watching Obiwan Ep1 and it was very difficult to get through. I somewhat enjoyed The Bad Batch, but I just can't do live-action Star Wars TV shows. I'm just so uninterested in these characters and plots and the world. Also Star Wars art design in modern times just feels like people with stupid looking hats.

I'm like "this must be what it feels like to find comic book movies/tv boring"  :-\

Maybe I'd like a Knights of the Old Republic era show with like Jedis and Sith and magic powers and stuff. But all this non-magic star wars is just zzz to me.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19176 on: June 08, 2022, 09:00:04 AM »
Ms marvel is off to a decent start. 

Polident Hive

« Reply #19177 on: June 08, 2022, 10:42:06 AM »
I tried watching Obiwan Ep1 and it was very difficult to get through. I somewhat enjoyed The Bad Batch, but I just can't do live-action Star Wars TV shows. I'm just so uninterested in these characters and plots and the world. Also Star Wars art design in modern times just feels like people with stupid looking hats.

I'm like "this must be what it feels like to find comic book movies/tv boring"  :-\

Maybe I'd like a Knights of the Old Republic era show with like Jedis and Sith and magic powers and stuff. But all this non-magic star wars is just zzz to me.

I watched the first two and will admit it’s carried by Ewan and nostalgia.

All this inquisitor stuff is lost on me as somebody only really watched the movies. They’re so bumbling and incompetent. It feels like power rangers. Opening scene in the bar with Benny Safdie, they’re trying to do this Hans Landa scene. Benny Safdie escapes by slowly jogging away and knocking down a tarp. They stand around like “drat! I’ll get you next time, Jedi!” It ends showing them easily stepping over the tarp to leave the bar.

Tasty

« Reply #19178 on: June 08, 2022, 11:39:28 AM »
I watched the Darth chase on YouTube and... It seems really silly and boring? Like they knew they couldn't go full Mustafar, and I get Obis weak now or whatever, but still. :thinking

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19179 on: June 08, 2022, 12:48:48 PM »
You never go full Mustafar
What

Nuitangg

« Reply #19180 on: June 08, 2022, 03:03:32 PM »
Obi-Wan just made me think of this the whole time.

Tasty

« Reply #19181 on: June 08, 2022, 07:25:22 PM »
Teared up during the QVC scene in the Hacks s2 finale. Didn't expect it to hit so hard.

A put-down-upon character suddenly having their dreams come true and being unable to process it might be one of my absolute favorite tropes.
[close]

s3 looks like it's gonna really shake things up, really hope it doesn't get the WBD death axe.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19182 on: June 08, 2022, 09:12:08 PM »
Obi-Wan just made me think of this the whole time.

The escaping Jedi was one thing, escaping Young Leia was a whole 'nother level on that. Running through a small gap in a split trunk tree, her pursuers can't run around the tree, etc.

Teared up during the QVC scene in the Hacks s2 finale. Didn't expect it to hit so hard.

A put-down-upon character suddenly having their dreams come true and being unable to process it might be one of my absolute favorite tropes.
[close]

s3 looks like it's gonna really shake things up, really hope it doesn't get the WBD death axe.

I've not watched Hacks, but Nate the Great in TED LASSO feels like that, to me. From locker room laundry lad to Assistant Coach, he just can't accept his situation and has to find a way to shit it up.

Polident Hive

« Reply #19183 on: June 09, 2022, 11:07:00 AM »
Obi Wan Kenobi 3 and 4

With Ben seeing the vision or hallucination of Anakin at the beginning, I was prepped for everything with Vader being that. But they fight and Vader ruins Ben. Makes the conversation in A New Hope funny. It’s like they didn’t plan this all out 50 years ago!?
[close]

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #19184 on: June 09, 2022, 11:38:38 AM »
Instead of watching capeshit and other assorted shat out content do yourselves a favour and watch We Own This City.
(ice)

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #19185 on: June 09, 2022, 07:02:49 PM »
I wasn't joking or being a dickhead btw, its peak level HBO quality.
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #19186 on: June 12, 2022, 04:16:32 AM »
The Essex Serpent ended up being a real nothing show. Pretty much just six eps of oogling a good looking Tom Hiddleston.

Polident Hive

« Reply #19187 on: June 14, 2022, 12:48:25 PM »
Currently on Severance, think three episodes left. Really enjoying it.

But, and this is very stupid, they have a balmuda toaster oven in their office kitchenette. You got generic Mr Coffee gadgets and some cheap Walmart microwave. Then there’s this $300 toaster. Did they just need a white toaster oven prop? Probably. I don’t know where I’m going with this. Something about verisimilitude. Maybe a metaphor for how much Apple spends on its original shows sight unseen.

Anyway, John Turturro is elite. Seeing him in this and Batman this year, complete opposite personalities, yet perfect at each. Struggling to think of a role he didn’t own. He’s magnetic even when an autobot urinates on him. When he’s singing I Feel Pretty in Anger Management, he shows up everybody else.

archnemesis

« Reply #19188 on: June 14, 2022, 02:06:21 PM »
I'm also three episodes into Severance and I'm loving it.

The first episode of Stranger Things season 4 was good. I also want to catch up on the new season of The Boys.

Bebpo

« Reply #19189 on: June 14, 2022, 03:33:33 PM »
Severance is the next show I'm gonna watch, so I'll join y'all in comments soon.

Tasty

« Reply #19191 on: June 16, 2022, 04:03:46 PM »

[close]

WBD Death Axe dodged!

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/hacks-season-3

Was a little worried since I know this is a relatively expensive show (for what it is -- shooting on-location in Vegas can't be cheap), so this is a big relief.

Tasty

« Reply #19192 on: June 16, 2022, 04:09:57 PM »

Why does the riff at the end sound familiar? :thinking Is that Nine Inch Nails?

Edit- Interesting connection.

Good song choice for a robot apocalypse.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #19193 on: June 17, 2022, 04:11:10 AM »
I don't recall exactly which mix it's pulled from, but that is definitely "The Day the World Went Away" off of NIN's The Fragile album.

Bebpo

« Reply #19194 on: June 19, 2022, 11:19:18 PM »
Not sure if you’re allowed to talk bad on Ms. Marvel without flagging the racist card, but ep1 & 2 felt like Scott Pilgrim boring edition. The family stuff is great, the school & relationship stuff and superhero stuff is zzzzzzzz

Also the joke costume sucks, she needs her real outfit asap. And her new powers are cheap TV ugly looking. I’m also just not sure if age-ing her down so much is gonna work.

I really liked Kamala’s character and arc in Crystal Dynamic’s Avengers campaign. She was great and this actress, whose doing a good job, feels like they’ll be more interesting in 5 years as part of a team in New Avengers 2, with hopefully revamped film budget powers. Just not feeling the kiddyness of this.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 11:57:05 PM by Bebpo »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19195 on: June 19, 2022, 11:50:45 PM »
Going to watch it with my daughter because she's within the right demographic for this kind of girl power, coming of age thing. It can't be worse than Moon Knight (which was ok).
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #19196 on: June 19, 2022, 11:56:53 PM »
Going to watch it with my daughter because she's within the right demographic for this kind of girl power, coming of age thing. It can't be worse than Moon Knight (which was ok).

I think kids will love it. I guess I can't hate on Marvel making a show for kids. I just wish it was more adult enjoyable as well.

And yeah Moon Knight was bleh. I feel like initially Marvel TV on Disney+ felt like premium Marvel quality compared to the Netflix shows. Wandavision was great. But after stuff like Winter Soldier, and Moon Knight and for me the back half of Loki, and Ms. Marvel so far, I'm about as bored of Marvel TV on Disney+ as I was of Marvel TV on Netflix when I bailed after like Daredevil S2. It's mostly just a lot of stuff that feels the same and is kind of boring.

I think Marvel really needs to take more risks with their TV shows. Safe across the board seems to work better with their films, either because they are one and done instead of a weekly series, or just they have their better scripts/directors/budgets on them, idk.

Also I am watching Severance and in the back half. But not really sure about it so gonna wait until I finish it to comment.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19197 on: June 20, 2022, 12:01:50 AM »
Marvel TV on Netflix was way too longwinded and every single season ran for 5 episodes too long.

Marvel TV on Disney+ has the same problem except that none of these shows needs to be more than 4 episodes (with the exception of maybe Wandavision).
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #19198 on: June 20, 2022, 12:04:03 AM »
Ms. Marvel should not be 60 min eps. Then again I feel like most TV shows should be 30 min eps and very few justify the extra length. I always seem to enjoy 30 min ep shows more than 60 min eps show. Probably another reason why I really enjoyed The Afterparty.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19199 on: June 20, 2022, 07:20:35 AM »
It's a kids show and more focused on the coming of age stuff than her powers.  I liked both episodes for what they were.  The CGI is really wonky though outside of the story graphics stuff.  Her costume is purposefully bad though.  Like the helmet is literally cardboard cause it's a self-made cosplay outfit.