Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2046126 times)

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #19320 on: July 20, 2022, 02:04:15 PM »
I watched 2 episodes and might have has my fill? They completely wasted Lance Reddick too from what I saw, who I was hoping to see ham it up big time and then the fuckers barely in it :fbm

Yeah, the focus overall is definitely on the girls and not on Lance Reddick who just plays a worried Dad for most of the show. Although he does have one big "ham it up" scene towards the finale at the start of episode 7 but I guess you could just look that up on youtube and get the same out of it.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #19321 on: July 20, 2022, 02:14:00 PM »

Can't help but feel a little excited again.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19322 on: July 20, 2022, 03:56:04 PM »
Nope
Spud

Polident Hive

« Reply #19323 on: July 20, 2022, 05:41:02 PM »
Maybe I’m underestimating my memory of Westworld season 3 but jumping straight into 4 wouldn’t be that confusing. Direct housecleaning from season 3’s main plot is relegated to a flashback.

My bad attempt to sum up what you’d need to know. Could be wrong as shit.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
A French guy is using a supercomputer to determine peoples worth and potential. Paris was nuked and this is him controlling the chaos. Jessie/Caleb is an ex soldier now construction worker roped into Dolores’ plan to destroy the supercomputer? forgetting details. French guy uses Maeve to hunt Dolores with a katana like a weeaboo. By the end she and Caleb join up.

Bernard and Stubbs… can’t remember. But by the end Bernard goes to the digital world where all the Westworld AI was uploaded. William did something, or didn’t, and by the end he’s captured and replaced by a robot. Charlotte, another version of Dolores, is scheming.
[close]

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #19324 on: July 20, 2022, 05:47:06 PM »
That sounds like complete nonsense tbh, but I suppose Westworld has always been a writers fart sniffing series all along, if you will, so that kind of thing is to be expected.
(ice)

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #19325 on: July 21, 2022, 10:31:20 AM »
I think I said ITT, but Stranger Things season 4 isn't just the best season since the first, it might actually be the best season (will need some time to settle on this)

Is S3 worth watching or should I look up some youtube summary and skip to 4?

Maybe I’m underestimating my memory of Westworld season 3 but jumping straight into 4 wouldn’t be that confusing. Direct housecleaning from season 3’s main plot is relegated to a flashback.

My bad attempt to sum up what you’d need to know. Could be wrong as shit.
A French guy is using a supercomputer to determine peoples worth and potential. Paris was nuked and this is him controlling the chaos. Jessie/Caleb is an ex soldier now construction worker roped into Dolores’ plan to destroy the supercomputer? forgetting details. French guy uses Maeve to hunt Dolores with a katana like a weeaboo. By the end she and Caleb join up.

Bernard and Stubbs… can’t remember. But by the end Bernard goes to the digital world where all the Westworld AI was uploaded. William did something, or didn’t, and by the end he’s captured and replaced by a robot. Charlotte, another version of Dolores, is scheming.
[close]

That sounds like they ripped off The 100
:O

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19326 on: July 21, 2022, 10:51:36 AM »
I think I said ITT, but Stranger Things season 4 isn't just the best season since the first, it might actually be the best season (will need some time to settle on this)

ehhhhhhh...  YMMV, tonally, if S1 is IT, S3 is The Goonies.

It has some major plotpoints that S4 spends a lot of time dealing with, introduces some new core characters to 'the gang' who are pretty good but is also (deliberately?) dumb as hell in a lot of ways.

It's not bad, but is clearly continuing a decline from S1 -> S2 -> S3 (which is partly why S4 was a pleasant surprise)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19327 on: July 21, 2022, 06:56:48 PM »

ehhhhhhh...  YMMV, tonally, if S1 is IT, S3 is The Goonies.

It has some major plotpoints that S4 spends a lot of time dealing with, introduces some new core characters to 'the gang' who are pretty good but is also (deliberately?) dumb as hell in a lot of ways.

It's not bad, but is clearly continuing a decline from S1 -> S2 -> S3 (which is partly why S4 was a pleasant surprise)

Yeah, my 17 year old son liked S3 the best so far. Though I enjoyed it, there is a lot of stupid shit in it. I decided to appreciate it in the spirit it is provided: a throwback to '80s movies, where secret Russian soldiers wear their full Russian uniforms even when in a hidden, secret base. IIRC the government steps in at the end of S1 to say "none of this happened" but there's not even a throwaway line after the climax and denouement.

OTOH, the Stephen King influences are worn on S3's sleeve even more strongly than S2, so I liked that. Watching troubled people become more troubled due to malevolent supernatural influence. Kids with powers they sense more than understand. Adults acting selfishly.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #19329 on: July 22, 2022, 02:12:29 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19330 on: July 22, 2022, 02:55:16 PM »
It's a 7/10 show.  That may or may not be worth your time.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19331 on: July 22, 2022, 03:04:05 PM »
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/wheel-of-time-renewed-season-3-amazon-season-2-premiere-date-1235322113/

Did anyone here watch the show? Is it worth it? Only heard about book fans being very disappointed
It's an ok show. Disappointing if you are a book fan because of the significant (but inevitable) changes. The results don't reflect the massive budget they had.
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19332 on: July 22, 2022, 06:11:24 PM »

This actually looks pretty damn good

Bebpo

« Reply #19333 on: July 23, 2022, 02:32:51 AM »
Sure feels like there's a new trailer for it every week or something. Marketing is crazy for it.

Hope it's good. Zero expectations after Wheel of Time S1 and Amazon originals, but if it's good will watch.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19334 on: July 23, 2022, 02:35:50 AM »
I'm feeling pretty confident Rings of Power will turn out well.
Spud

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19335 on: July 23, 2022, 05:04:16 AM »

Where you at with Sunny? I started a rewatch  :lol
What

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19336 on: July 23, 2022, 06:30:44 AM »

Where you at with Sunny? I started a rewatch  :lol
Midway through season 3
Spud

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #19337 on: July 23, 2022, 10:00:44 AM »

This actually looks pretty damn good

It doesn't look bad but I'm still a little worried about Amazon making this too lukewarm.

Didn't the pilot receive like an insane amount of producer notes from Amazon?

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19338 on: July 23, 2022, 10:06:00 AM »
Looks crap but then again I hated LOTR

Bebpo

« Reply #19339 on: July 23, 2022, 07:32:40 PM »

Having just listened to the audio drama and read the GNs, this looks pretty good. The tone of the trailer is kinda too GRIMDARK SERIOUS so hopefully the show still has some levity. The art design looks fantastic and the cast all seem great and even the main guy's dialogue is pretty close in tone to how McAvoy did it.

Still iffy on this version of Death though. Wish they could've got Kat Dennings for this version too. She's just the comic character brought to life in how she plays it.

Tasty

Beezy

« Reply #19341 on: July 24, 2022, 02:31:08 PM »
I should finally watch Daredevil s3. Iron Fist completely turned me off from the Netflix marvel shows.

Bebpo

« Reply #19342 on: July 24, 2022, 02:37:07 PM »
I should finally watch Daredevil s3. Iron Fist completely turned me off from the Netflix marvel shows.

Same. Will watch S3 before this.

Do I need to watch Defenders too if I wanna be caught up with live-action Daredevil in case MCU keeps it cannon?

Bebpo

« Reply #19343 on: July 24, 2022, 02:39:48 PM »
I haven't seen S3 and don't know what storyline they do, but I wonder with 18 eps and MCU being all about picking fan favorite big deal storylines, if Born Again is gonna do the Brubaker run.

You couldn't have done that from the start with Daredevil TV because it needs years and years of build up and establishing characters and Murdock's life before

doing the story of his identity getting exposed and him losing everything and breaking down
[close]

But at this point? And Brubaker's run of it is LONG and 18 eps would be perfect. I really think this could be the Brubaker run which would be very very awesome.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19344 on: July 24, 2022, 02:46:21 PM »
Season 3 is based on Born Again already.  The season 4(?) subtitle does not mean it will be a an adaption of the comic.  Also season3 of DD and JJ are both really good. 

Bebpo

« Reply #19345 on: July 24, 2022, 02:53:32 PM »
Actually googling it I was confused. Bendis did the first part which is the part I'm hoping they adapt. Brubaker did the sequel Bendis's storyline. Both were great stuff and my favorite DD stories. But yeah I want them to do the Bendis run from 2001.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19346 on: July 24, 2022, 03:47:05 PM »
Season 3 is based on Born Again already.  The season 4(?) subtitle does not mean it will be a an adaption of the comic.  Also season3 of DD and JJ are both really good.

the stuff about his mum maybe being a nun was done already, but they definitely didn't make karen page a smackhead hooker doing donkey shows in tijuana then selling matts secret id for some skag

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19347 on: July 24, 2022, 03:48:08 PM »

the stuff about his mum maybe being a nun was done already, but they definitely didn't make karen page a smackhead hooker doing donkey shows in tijuana then selling matts secret id for some skag

obligatory:

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #19348 on: July 24, 2022, 04:12:48 PM »
I wonder if we'll get more Elektra. Never really liked her in the show but after reading the Greg Rucka run I'd really like to see that kind of crazy Elektra who is straight up addicted to violence.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #19349 on: July 24, 2022, 07:07:53 PM »
Industry

S2 is starting soon and I'd say the show is well worth checking out IF you're into exceptionally dry British drama shit, mixed with the "financial firm drama" vibes of something like Margin Call. It's surprisingly accurate, a lot of the terminology is correct, and it certainly nails the scumbag nature of clients and firms. In a good way. It's not completely British though; the main character is American. Still it has that modern BBC feel so keep that in mind. Lots of female driven sex. Chicks just slamming dudes into their crotch to eat them out. I love that shit.  :doge

Bebpo

« Reply #19350 on: July 26, 2022, 02:43:44 AM »
There's a couple of full scene clips from The Sandman on twitter. Seems alright, I feel like the direction is kinda weak. Hopefully works better in the full eps.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19351 on: July 26, 2022, 04:43:52 AM »
I thiink we all know it wont

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19352 on: July 26, 2022, 09:56:36 AM »
Very excited for more Donofrio as Kingpin. He was the crux of the show for me and why S2 was so weak.

This also means we might get Kingpin in Spiderman? God I hope so

I guess it probably wont be because Kingpin is just a strong guy and Spiderman has already beaten so many crazy villains in the MCU.
What

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19353 on: July 26, 2022, 11:37:00 AM »
I would love small scale spiderman for the next movie, but I think it has to have solution to his friends remembering him, which implies large scale. 

Tasty

« Reply #19354 on: July 26, 2022, 11:52:41 AM »
I would love small scale spiderman for the next movie, but I think it has to have solution to his friends remembering him, which implies large scale. 

Hmmm not exactly. They could go all New Mutants. :P

Tasty

« Reply #19355 on: July 26, 2022, 02:50:49 PM »
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1551685618882805762

This was easily my favorite YA series ever after Potter.

Man, fuuuuuuuuuuck that entire movie. Except Jeremy Irons.

Polident Hive

« Reply #19356 on: July 26, 2022, 04:10:02 PM »
Yeah. Enjoying this season of Westworld. Ratings are hell awful. With luck they knew season 5 was a long shot and wrap it up adequately.

Tasty

« Reply #19357 on: July 26, 2022, 05:48:59 PM »
The latest episode of WW had some of the dumbest writing of the entire show on a scene-by-scene level ("Yeah let's walk into Cyborg City fully-loaded in broad daylight and hope no drones/flies/cameras/people see us..." - some LOL dialogue too) but I'm super on board for this season's plot, it feels like what WW was building to the entire time.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19358 on: July 26, 2022, 09:36:20 PM »
SECRET SHAME: the wife and I have been watching NCIS. After NCIS:LA s1-8, we started the original NCIS. I have to say, the first two seasons are quite good. I have no explanation for how we slogged through season 13, but Amazon is closing it out of their PRIME service, so we jumped ahead to see where things go. We learn that only two of the original characters remain on the show, one of them part time. Mark Harmon started the show fairly aged, now 17 seasons in he is quite old. I understand he's left the show now as well.

Like Supernatural, there is no reason for the show to have lasted this long, except that fans like watching the interaction of the characters. When the lineup changes, the dynamic changes, and there's really no reason for NCIS to keep going, except to coast on momentum. I'm super happy to be done with it.

Do I need to watch Defenders too if I wanna be caught up with live-action Daredevil in case MCU keeps it cannon?

I'm doing a full rewatch from s1. It's easy to see why we were all so hyped for this. It's fantastic.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19359 on: July 26, 2022, 10:10:50 PM »
I only read some of the early Sandman arcs but they def seemed ripe for adaption. While the Netflix show looks fine, the tone and way its shot doesn't really do it justice. That's such a surreal comic at times, whereas it seems like the show is just straight forward. Nor did they really try to find some weird ass looking dudes to be in it.

Tasty

« Reply #19360 on: July 27, 2022, 12:12:08 PM »
I just remembered I went to a company Halloween party as Daredevil the year s1 hit.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #19361 on: July 27, 2022, 01:44:37 PM »
SECRET SHAME: the wife and I have been watching NCIS. After NCIS:LA s1-8, we started the original NCIS. I have to say, the first two seasons are quite good. I have no explanation for how we slogged through season 13, but Amazon is closing it out of their PRIME service, so we jumped ahead to see where things go. We learn that only two of the original characters remain on the show, one of them part time. Mark Harmon started the show fairly aged, now 17 seasons in he is quite old. I understand he's left the show now as well.

Like Supernatural, there is no reason for the show to have lasted this long, except that fans like watching the interaction of the characters. When the lineup changes, the dynamic changes, and there's really no reason for NCIS to keep going, except to coast on momentum. I'm super happy to be done with it.

I'm doing a full rewatch from s1. It's easy to see why we were all so hyped for this. It's fantastic.

I used to watch original NCIS all the time until the core cast started leaving. Its a pretty shitty and by the numbers show for the most part, but the cast had good chemistry and it was an easy watch, with some awesomely ridiculous nonsense mixed in from time to time. One of my all time favourite guilty pleasures.

The scene where Gibbs wakes up from a coma and is told about what happened on 9/11 is an all timer.

I always found NCIS LA wack as fuck tho.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 01:53:04 PM by Pissy F Benny »
(ice)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19362 on: July 27, 2022, 02:29:02 PM »
Early NCIS is nothing to be ashamed of, it was great.
Spud

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #19363 on: July 27, 2022, 02:41:35 PM »
Its can also be very jigonistic and I get a kick out of that kind of flag fucking in media for some reason :salute
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #19364 on: July 27, 2022, 03:09:14 PM »
The IDF chick  :whew
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19365 on: August 05, 2022, 02:17:49 PM »
Sandman getting good reviews

Bebpo

« Reply #19366 on: August 06, 2022, 01:56:33 AM »
Watched Sandman ep1-3 tonight.

It's not as good as I hoped and not as faithful of adaptation as Gaiman and everyone were hyping it up to be saying it was basically a 1:1 adaptation straight off the page. Every ep has a lot changed around and it feels really toned down to a PG13 thing and the horror and darkness of the early issues is more Netflix-ish YA dark fantasy.

But it's not as bad as I feared either. It's pretty ok and very watchable. I like some of the changes they're doing, but dislike some other bits. Definitely feels a big step down from the audiobook adaptation, but it's fine for its own thing. Patton Oswalt does a good Matthew.

Bebpo

« Reply #19367 on: August 06, 2022, 04:13:42 PM »
Through ep6 now!

It's a fine adaptation, but it definitely feels like the sanitized version of the comic. Which would be fine for the later stuff since after the first two arcs and like the first one shot after that's pretty rapey, it's not a particularly dark series from what I've read. But man, for these first two volumes it's a pretty big tone shift.

My favorite bit is in ep6

The hob story. It's the first part of this TV adaptation that didn't change the comic and is basically just page for page/line for line the whole issue minus a couple dialogues. And it's good! When the source material's good, not changing shit actually works.
[close]

Will be interested to see how they do volume 2. Mostly looking forward to Stephen Fry's Gilbert.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19368 on: August 06, 2022, 05:52:08 PM »
I'm a couple of eps into Sandman, but hooboy, the dude playing Morpheus is kind of terrible?
He looks the part, but he's constantly doing a pouty blue steel thing, and the voice hes doing makes it sound like hes trying to bane voice but smoked a bunch of fegs at a party last night.

I get they're going for a low affect take on morpheus, but it's not working well for me. Still, he looks the part, I guess.

I have other things to say about the casting / changes, but will wait until I've watched the whole thing.

Bebpo

« Reply #19369 on: August 06, 2022, 05:54:33 PM »
He just looks like Twilight Pattison to me lol

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19370 on: August 07, 2022, 11:07:56 AM »
So Sandman is worth peeping? Also does this season depict some certain incidents at a diner, where a patron was using an item that didn't belong to him?

Bebpo

« Reply #19371 on: August 07, 2022, 12:57:33 PM »
So Sandman is worth peeping? Also does this season depict some certain incidents at a diner, where a patron was using an item that didn't belong to him?

Yes and yes.

It's a good show. The more I watch it the more it's growing on me and I like it. The casting director did an A+++ job. Every minor character or major character is someone giving a great performance. Corinthian is great, Rose Walker is great, Matthew is great, Lucienne is great, etc...

I'd actually say Morpheus is the weakest acting of the bunch, but then he mostly just broods and this guy looks goofy and broods ok, so he's fine. James McAvoy broods better with the "hmmmmm..."s in the audiobook though.

Bebpo

« Reply #19372 on: August 07, 2022, 01:03:05 PM »
I hope it gets renewed and I'm very curious at how they'll handle all the one shots. Because there's a lot of them and having completely different sets only to use for a single ep is $$$$$, but some of them are really good.

Gaiman says S2 would have Dream of a Thousand Cats and I can't see them doing that in any way other than having an animated ep for that ep. The Afterparty did an animated ep for one of the episodes, so I think something like that could work.

Polident Hive

« Reply #19373 on: August 07, 2022, 05:18:39 PM »
The Rehearsal casually becoming Holy Motors with a keyblade owning weeaboo character. Not even the craziest part of the episode.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19374 on: August 07, 2022, 07:07:15 PM »
The Rehearsal casually becoming Holy Motors with a keyblade owning weeaboo character. Not even the craziest part of the episode.

It's some of the most unhinged shit I've ever seen. And every episode ups the ante. Amazing.

Bebpo

« Reply #19375 on: August 07, 2022, 09:22:24 PM »
Finished The Sandman. Was good. I don't always agree with all the choices they make in the adaptation, but was pretty good overall. There's a lot that they kept really authentic and some nicer teaser stuff like

Martin Tenbones and Azeal, who both looked perfect. Azeal was something I'd never have expected them to do accurately, but they did, so that was super cool.
[close]

Should I watch his previous show before this one?

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19376 on: August 07, 2022, 09:45:53 PM »
Nathan for You is probably better, though some of the episode are way better than others, the first epiosde of Nathan for You is probably the weakest. I'd probably watch Claw of Shame if you want a crash course in Nathan Fielder is all about.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #19377 on: August 08, 2022, 01:03:53 PM »
All this sandman talk got me interested. Though I'll read some of the comic volumes first. Always wanted to read those anyway and it sounds like that's still the essential version
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 01:11:04 PM by HaughtyFrank »

Bebpo

« Reply #19378 on: August 08, 2022, 01:56:18 PM »
All this sandman talk got me interested. Though I'll read some of the comic volumes first. Always wanted to read those anyway and it sounds like that's still the essential version

Actually probably the opposite where you want to watch the show before the source material. That way you can enjoy the show and then enjoy the comic more. The show is still a good adaptation but coming straight from comic there will be some changes that are a bit disappointing and certain scenes don't hit the same way in the show.

Plus, gotta feed that Netflix algorithm if there's any chance for a S2 and Netflix only gives a shit about views in the first week or two before deciding whether to cancel or renew.

Polident Hive

« Reply #19379 on: August 08, 2022, 07:03:26 PM »
Finished The Sandman. Was good. I don't always agree with all the choices they make in the adaptation, but was pretty good overall. There's a lot that they kept really authentic and some nicer teaser stuff like

Martin Tenbones and Azeal, who both looked perfect. Azeal was something I'd never have expected them to do accurately, but they did, so that was super cool.
[close]

Should I watch his previous show before this one?

If never not recommend Nathan for You, but you don’t need to know it going in. It’s an evolution of what he did there. Last episode of that, Finding Francis, is like workshopping ideas for what The Rehearsal would be.