Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 1567220 times)

Polident Hive

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #19380 on: June 03, 2022, 08:29:10 AM »
The Boys S3 is on.

That scene had me wincing and borderline :exxy

Potato

• Kipfler
« Reply #19381 on: June 03, 2022, 04:47:38 PM »
Can't wait!!
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #19382 on: June 04, 2022, 05:43:41 PM »

Yeah... this is in my top 3 TV scenes of all time.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19383 on: June 04, 2022, 05:53:48 PM »
What are the other 2

Tasty

« Reply #19384 on: June 04, 2022, 06:01:25 PM »

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19385 on: June 04, 2022, 06:02:10 PM »
Oh

Tasty

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19387 on: June 04, 2022, 06:10:01 PM »
I havn't even watched Succession and I know that the water bottle scene is better than that one

:cmonson

Tasty

« Reply #19388 on: June 04, 2022, 06:23:32 PM »
I havn't even watched Succession and I know that the water bottle scene is better than that one

That one's not even in the Succession top 3.

Bebpo

« Reply #19389 on: June 06, 2022, 03:27:20 AM »
The Afterparty was really good  :o

Like I was already on the Lord & Miller train after the Jump Street movies, Lego Movie, Spider-Verse, but this just seals the deal. They make incredibly wholesome enjoyable comedies that actually have solid stories and great characters and good laughs. Some great eps in here like the musical and the animated bear mom. One of the better shows I've seen, to the point that I'd like them to do a Knives Out 2/3 thing and do a sequel at some point with a different murder mystery who dunnit that can be the

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Same police duo and Aniq helping out as consultant
[close]

Sam Richardson was great and I think this was the show people were saying was Ben Schwartz's best performance and yeah he was pretty good. Everyone was good. Great cast playing great characters. Very much worth a watch.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19390 on: June 07, 2022, 05:10:36 AM »
Yes

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19391 on: June 07, 2022, 05:44:25 PM »
The Afterparty (very mild) spoilers

The phone dying should have ended the phone call

[close]

Potato

• Kipfler
« Reply #19392 on: June 07, 2022, 11:06:20 PM »
Very happy with where The Boys S3 is going so far.
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #19393 on: June 07, 2022, 11:17:48 PM »
J.J. Abrams Series ‘Demimonde’ Dead At HBO Over Budget Issues

Bought by HBO four years ago with a straight-to-series order, Demimonde, which was  developed and sold under Bad Robot’s previous WBTV pact, was still in early pre-production when the plug was pulled.

4 years and still nothing to really show for it, and a $200+ mil price tag... can't really blame WB.

Tasty

« Reply #19394 on: June 07, 2022, 11:23:58 PM »
‘Tokyo Vice’ Renewed for Season 2 at HBO Max

Finally started watching this and it instantly drew me in. I didn't like Elgort much before this but I think there's something to him now, he's great in this. And Watanabe always elevates the work he's in.

Glad this wasn't a one-and-done. Hopefully Mann comes back to direct more episodes himself.

Bebpo

« Reply #19395 on: June 07, 2022, 11:27:43 PM »
I heard the ending fucking sucks, so wasn't gonna watch it if S2 didn't happen. Might watch it now.

Bebpo

« Reply #19396 on: June 08, 2022, 01:11:30 AM »
I tried watching Obiwan Ep1 and it was very difficult to get through. I somewhat enjoyed The Bad Batch, but I just can't do live-action Star Wars TV shows. I'm just so uninterested in these characters and plots and the world. Also Star Wars art design in modern times just feels like people with stupid looking hats.

I'm like "this must be what it feels like to find comic book movies/tv boring"  :-\

Maybe I'd like a Knights of the Old Republic era show with like Jedis and Sith and magic powers and stuff. But all this non-magic star wars is just zzz to me.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19397 on: June 08, 2022, 09:00:04 AM »
Ms marvel is off to a decent start. 
NtGay

Polident Hive

« Reply #19398 on: June 08, 2022, 10:42:06 AM »
I tried watching Obiwan Ep1 and it was very difficult to get through. I somewhat enjoyed The Bad Batch, but I just can't do live-action Star Wars TV shows. I'm just so uninterested in these characters and plots and the world. Also Star Wars art design in modern times just feels like people with stupid looking hats.

I'm like "this must be what it feels like to find comic book movies/tv boring"  :-\

Maybe I'd like a Knights of the Old Republic era show with like Jedis and Sith and magic powers and stuff. But all this non-magic star wars is just zzz to me.

I watched the first two and will admit it’s carried by Ewan and nostalgia.

All this inquisitor stuff is lost on me as somebody only really watched the movies. They’re so bumbling and incompetent. It feels like power rangers. Opening scene in the bar with Benny Safdie, they’re trying to do this Hans Landa scene. Benny Safdie escapes by slowly jogging away and knocking down a tarp. They stand around like “drat! I’ll get you next time, Jedi!” It ends showing them easily stepping over the tarp to leave the bar.

Tasty

« Reply #19399 on: June 08, 2022, 11:39:28 AM »
I watched the Darth chase on YouTube and... It seems really silly and boring? Like they knew they couldn't go full Mustafar, and I get Obis weak now or whatever, but still. :thinking

MMaRsu

« Reply #19400 on: June 08, 2022, 12:48:48 PM »
You never go full Mustafar

Nuitangg

« Reply #19401 on: June 08, 2022, 03:03:32 PM »
Obi-Wan just made me think of this the whole time.

Tasty

« Reply #19402 on: June 08, 2022, 07:25:22 PM »
Teared up during the QVC scene in the Hacks s2 finale. Didn't expect it to hit so hard.

A put-down-upon character suddenly having their dreams come true and being unable to process it might be one of my absolute favorite tropes.
[close]

s3 looks like it's gonna really shake things up, really hope it doesn't get the WBD death axe.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19403 on: June 08, 2022, 09:12:08 PM »
Obi-Wan just made me think of this the whole time.

The escaping Jedi was one thing, escaping Young Leia was a whole 'nother level on that. Running through a small gap in a split trunk tree, her pursuers can't run around the tree, etc.

Teared up during the QVC scene in the Hacks s2 finale. Didn't expect it to hit so hard.

A put-down-upon character suddenly having their dreams come true and being unable to process it might be one of my absolute favorite tropes.
[close]

s3 looks like it's gonna really shake things up, really hope it doesn't get the WBD death axe.

I've not watched Hacks, but Nate the Great in TED LASSO feels like that, to me. From locker room laundry lad to Assistant Coach, he just can't accept his situation and has to find a way to shit it up.

Polident Hive

« Reply #19404 on: June 09, 2022, 11:07:00 AM »
Obi Wan Kenobi 3 and 4

With Ben seeing the vision or hallucination of Anakin at the beginning, I was prepped for everything with Vader being that. But they fight and Vader ruins Ben. Makes the conversation in A New Hope funny. It’s like they didn’t plan this all out 50 years ago!?
[close]

Pissy F Benny

• Why so bloody serious?
« Reply #19405 on: June 09, 2022, 11:38:38 AM »
Instead of watching capeshit and other assorted shat out content do yourselves a favour and watch We Own This City.

Pissy F Benny

• Why so bloody serious?
« Reply #19406 on: June 09, 2022, 07:02:49 PM »
I wasn't joking or being a dickhead btw, its peak level HBO quality.

Bebpo

« Reply #19407 on: June 12, 2022, 04:16:32 AM »
The Essex Serpent ended up being a real nothing show. Pretty much just six eps of oogling a good looking Tom Hiddleston.

Polident Hive

« Reply #19408 on: June 14, 2022, 12:48:25 PM »
Currently on Severance, think three episodes left. Really enjoying it.

But, and this is very stupid, they have a balmuda toaster oven in their office kitchenette. You got generic Mr Coffee gadgets and some cheap Walmart microwave. Then there’s this $300 toaster. Did they just need a white toaster oven prop? Probably. I don’t know where I’m going with this. Something about verisimilitude. Maybe a metaphor for how much Apple spends on its original shows sight unseen.

Anyway, John Turturro is elite. Seeing him in this and Batman this year, complete opposite personalities, yet perfect at each. Struggling to think of a role he didn’t own. He’s magnetic even when an autobot urinates on him. When he’s singing I Feel Pretty in Anger Management, he shows up everybody else.

archnemesis

« Reply #19409 on: June 14, 2022, 02:06:21 PM »
I'm also three episodes into Severance and I'm loving it.

The first episode of Stranger Things season 4 was good. I also want to catch up on the new season of The Boys.

Bebpo

« Reply #19410 on: June 14, 2022, 03:33:33 PM »
Severance is the next show I'm gonna watch, so I'll join y'all in comments soon.

Tasty

« Reply #19412 on: June 16, 2022, 04:03:46 PM »

[close]

WBD Death Axe dodged!

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/hacks-season-3

Was a little worried since I know this is a relatively expensive show (for what it is -- shooting on-location in Vegas can't be cheap), so this is a big relief.

Tasty

« Reply #19413 on: June 16, 2022, 04:09:57 PM »

Why does the riff at the end sound familiar? :thinking Is that Nine Inch Nails?

Edit- Interesting connection.

Good song choice for a robot apocalypse.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #19414 on: June 17, 2022, 04:11:10 AM »
I don't recall exactly which mix it's pulled from, but that is definitely "The Day the World Went Away" off of NIN's The Fragile album.

Bebpo

« Reply #19415 on: June 19, 2022, 11:19:18 PM »
Not sure if you’re allowed to talk bad on Ms. Marvel without flagging the racist card, but ep1 & 2 felt like Scott Pilgrim boring edition. The family stuff is great, the school & relationship stuff and superhero stuff is zzzzzzzz

Also the joke costume sucks, she needs her real outfit asap. And her new powers are cheap TV ugly looking. I’m also just not sure if age-ing her down so much is gonna work.

I really liked Kamala’s character and arc in Crystal Dynamic’s Avengers campaign. She was great and this actress, whose doing a good job, feels like they’ll be more interesting in 5 years as part of a team in New Avengers 2, with hopefully revamped film budget powers. Just not feeling the kiddyness of this.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 11:57:05 PM by Bebpo »

Potato

• Kipfler
« Reply #19416 on: June 19, 2022, 11:50:45 PM »
Going to watch it with my daughter because she's within the right demographic for this kind of girl power, coming of age thing. It can't be worse than Moon Knight (which was ok).
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #19417 on: June 19, 2022, 11:56:53 PM »
Going to watch it with my daughter because she's within the right demographic for this kind of girl power, coming of age thing. It can't be worse than Moon Knight (which was ok).

I think kids will love it. I guess I can't hate on Marvel making a show for kids. I just wish it was more adult enjoyable as well.

And yeah Moon Knight was bleh. I feel like initially Marvel TV on Disney+ felt like premium Marvel quality compared to the Netflix shows. Wandavision was great. But after stuff like Winter Soldier, and Moon Knight and for me the back half of Loki, and Ms. Marvel so far, I'm about as bored of Marvel TV on Disney+ as I was of Marvel TV on Netflix when I bailed after like Daredevil S2. It's mostly just a lot of stuff that feels the same and is kind of boring.

I think Marvel really needs to take more risks with their TV shows. Safe across the board seems to work better with their films, either because they are one and done instead of a weekly series, or just they have their better scripts/directors/budgets on them, idk.

Also I am watching Severance and in the back half. But not really sure about it so gonna wait until I finish it to comment.

Potato

• Kipfler
« Reply #19418 on: June 20, 2022, 12:01:50 AM »
Marvel TV on Netflix was way too longwinded and every single season ran for 5 episodes too long.

Marvel TV on Disney+ has the same problem except that none of these shows needs to be more than 4 episodes (with the exception of maybe Wandavision).
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #19419 on: June 20, 2022, 12:04:03 AM »
Ms. Marvel should not be 60 min eps. Then again I feel like most TV shows should be 30 min eps and very few justify the extra length. I always seem to enjoy 30 min ep shows more than 60 min eps show. Probably another reason why I really enjoyed The Afterparty.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19420 on: June 20, 2022, 07:20:35 AM »
It's a kids show and more focused on the coming of age stuff than her powers.  I liked both episodes for what they were.  The CGI is really wonky though outside of the story graphics stuff.  Her costume is purposefully bad though.  Like the helmet is literally cardboard cause it's a self-made cosplay outfit.
NtGay

Cauliflower Of Love

• They/King/Queen
« Reply #19421 on: June 20, 2022, 11:20:29 AM »
I start watching ms marvel with my girl, and like 25 mins I keep walking away to do dishes.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19422 on: June 21, 2022, 05:27:36 AM »
Schitt’s Creek: I did not think this would be my jam, but it’s oddly heartwarming while being savage and ridiculous.

Beezy

« Reply #19423 on: June 22, 2022, 12:17:23 AM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19424 on: June 22, 2022, 12:28:12 AM »

Well, it's easy to see why that song is enjoying such a resurgence. Wow.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19425 on: June 22, 2022, 08:18:05 AM »

actually got me hyped for the LOTR tv show
NtGay

Bebpo

« Reply #19426 on: June 22, 2022, 02:15:16 PM »
That is an ugly person

Tasty

« Reply #19427 on: June 22, 2022, 02:19:47 PM »

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #19428 on: June 24, 2022, 10:50:17 AM »
While I loved Obi-Wan it still amazes me that shows allow the "I'm just gonna walk away" after the fight.
rub

Polident Hive

« Reply #19429 on: June 24, 2022, 04:58:03 PM »
Amazon auto played that The Boys cartoon and I didn’t realize it’s an Animatrix deal. Not literally, but conceptually as an anthology. One episode imagines a direct adaptation of the comic with the Hughie inspired by and voiced by Simon Pegg.

Reminded me that Star Wars did it so I checked it out. Both, as with Animatrix and that Batman anime, are hit or miss. But I always enjoy the concept. Maybe I was too into Heavy Metal as a kid. Netflix’s Love Death and Robots is really cool, too.

Bebpo

« Reply #19430 on: June 25, 2022, 02:37:35 AM »
Even after finishing Severance still not sure if I like the show. It's one of those shows that's very annoying and the bad guys always win and the good guys progress is very minimal and slow and constantly getting shutdown. And then it has a total cliffhanger ending.

Basically will depend on how it eventually goes to figure whether this season was good to me.

Potato

• Kipfler
« Reply #19431 on: June 25, 2022, 06:27:55 AM »
Two episodes in to Ms Marvel. Watching with my 9 year old daughter. This show is fantastic and my daughter is loving it.

Obviously it's not for the usual Marvel crowd, but the story is really charming and the performances are great.
Spud

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #19432 on: June 27, 2022, 05:39:31 PM »
NBC has a lot of long clips (6 to 10 minutes, including the end reveals) of Columbo on YouTube so I've been binging those. Peter Falk is just a total delight in those and it's all top tier comedy. Columbo is one mean son of a bitch in sheep's clothing, especially with the sidekick that never got to be, Sergeant Wilson.
There's some third degree burns laying all over ("Some man do not like to look like an unmade bed, Lieutenant.") and in a way Columbo is a master class in playing a persona in society.

Some of the highlights / notable deviations :
- Columbo getting genuinely angry at Leonard Nimoy's contempt for human life.
- The Dead Weight episode where an eyewitness get gaslighted by the killer plus her toxic mother and jarringly by Columbo himself. She's really the central character of that episode, though.
- The Commodore which is an actual whodunit for once and looks... boring.
- The midly offensive Mexico episode with R.Montalban. Overall I'd say the show did age mostly gracefully on that front.

Though the show has plenty of moments where Columbo clearly acts different when not speaking to the killer, much more matter of fact.
The second, later run of episodes is clearly weaker (and Falk was getting really old) but cut like this it's less apparent. They clearly relied more on using gimmicks for episode (Columbo is a guest teacher at the university ! Someone wants to kill Columbo ! Columbo is a stage director reveal !).
Some of the reveals get a little flimsy and unrealistic (the whole multiple switcheroo of an object in the Louis Jourdan's épisode... Great scene though. Or the shoelace thing with R.Conrad) and they did recycle some bits.

- Peter Falk went to Romania to calm citizens there after the TV ran out of episodes in 1974 which apparently put them on the verge of rioting ?
- Two of the main creators for the show also produced Murder, She Wrote so you know... Respect.
- The aforementioned sidekick was reportedly a demand by the network, such as the dog Dog though this one had an infrequent but regular part in the mythology.
- I knew they tried to make a show out of Mrs.Columbo but I didn't know it was Kate Mulgrew they gave the role to.
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #19433 on: June 27, 2022, 05:56:30 PM »
Columbo :delicious

Himu

« Reply #19434 on: June 27, 2022, 05:59:16 PM »
Stranger Things 4 part 1 was incredible and I can't wait for part 2!

This season was great, although the jocks vs nerds storyline was a bit tired. It's the perfect combination of It and table top role play gaming. Just awesome storylines all around and the plot twist at the end is :delicious
ISLAM

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #19435 on: June 27, 2022, 05:59:36 PM »
The Lieutenant is a balla'
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #19436 on: June 27, 2022, 06:48:59 PM »
https://columbophile.com/2022/02/27/columbos-biggest-mystery/

This is an interesting opinion piece that is uncharacteristically critical of the show, one that takes aim at the generally believed P.McGoohan's influence.
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19437 on: June 27, 2022, 06:58:36 PM »
Umbrella Academy season 3 has been good so far.  The show still does annoying CW things like having drama due to characters not communicating and every season is a new existential crisis.  They handled Eliot Pages's transition pretty well.   
NtGay

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19438 on: June 27, 2022, 10:20:37 PM »
I didn't even finish watching the first season but I watched the first 2 eps of season 3 and I hated it. But if it makes you feel better I also hated The Boys (but I still watch it), Ms Marvel (after two episodes), Severance (after 1 episode), and Obi wan (0 episodes)

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19439 on: June 27, 2022, 10:29:40 PM »
Oh and I hated Barry.