Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2067165 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #19740 on: December 04, 2022, 08:10:23 AM »
Netflix always cancels their good shows. We know this for a fact.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/midnight-club-canceled-netflix-mike-flanagan-1235447617/

Its a shame, but like I said upthread, its a very satisfying one and done.
I also get the feeling a lot of "Netflix cancels everything!" types fulfill their own prophecies by not bothering to watch new shows they assume will get cancelled and 'leave them hanging' which ties directly into netflixes very specific sink or swim renewal viewing data.

Guilty.

I legitimately cannot believe the only people watching Netflix are teenage girls or people who identify as / with teenage girls.

I can watch Harry Potter without being a little boy or identifying as one.  It's just Netflix has discovered the CW secret which is that a good chunk of people like silly melodramas and setting characters as teenagers in a setting where they are unsupervised is an easy and cheap way to do that. 

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19741 on: December 04, 2022, 08:25:39 AM »
I can watch Harry Potter without being a little boy or identifying as one.  It's just Netflix has discovered the CW secret which is that a good chunk of people like silly melodramas and setting characters as teenagers in a setting where they are unsupervised is an easy and cheap way to do that.

Obviously true, but AFAIK CWs biggest hit was about two redneck rock bros driving round the country murdering ghosts / vampires / demons
:idont

e:
I think my tipping point was turning fucking resident evil into YA highschool teenage girl drama :stahp

Bebpo

« Reply #19742 on: December 04, 2022, 11:37:26 AM »
Netflix just tuning in to what Japan has known for decades with anime.
High school setting is peak audience saturation. Both for kids and adults nostalgia.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19743 on: December 04, 2022, 12:13:54 PM »
Ya I was going to compare it to highschool animes as well.  Like there is a big market there, and I understand it, even if its not for me.  I'm more tolerate of Wensday and co. where I can dismiss the CW parts because I like the others, but at the same time, I skip a lot of other Netflix stuff if it gives the CW-vibe. I didn't watch Umbrella Company for forever, for example, even though its 70% Xmen which I like, but 30% CW.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #19744 on: December 11, 2022, 04:10:07 AM »
Laughing at The Last of Us show because they made Joel's daughter black. The showrunners do know what happens to that character, right?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19745 on: December 11, 2022, 11:28:12 AM »
https://deadline.com/2022/12/mike-flanagan-amp-trevor-macy-the-dark-tower-series-movies-netflix-exit-midnight-club-canceled-amazon-intrepid-1235191018/

Flanagan reveals that he has written a pilot script and season outlines for The Dark Tower, which he has described for years as his dream project. He has even shared in interviews his vision for the opening shot, a black screen with the words “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed,” leading to a landscape with a silhouette in the distance.

FLANAGAN: I wrote a pilot, we view it as a as a series that’s going at least five seasons. And having lived with this project as long as I have, I have an enormous amount of it worked out in my brain. But I have a pilot script I’m thrilled with and a very detailed outline for the first season and a broader outline for the subsequent seasons.

FLANAGAN: Well, to be honest, the way that I have seen it breaking out is five seasons of television, followed by two stand-alone features. But I think our priority has been trying to get the television side of it going first. We’re not going to put the cart too far ahead of the horse on such a challenging project, but that I think is the perfect way to do it.

:rejoice

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19746 on: December 16, 2022, 08:07:37 AM »
This could be interesting

https://www.reuters.com/technology/amazon-strikes-deal-bring-warhammer-40000-onto-screens-2022-12-16/

Amazon.com is seeking to bring popular fantasy miniature game "Warhammer 40,000" to screens after agreeing in principle to produce film and television content with its British developer.
Spud

jorma

« Reply #19747 on: December 16, 2022, 11:28:50 AM »

https://www.reuters.com/technology/amazon-strikes-deal-bring-warhammer-40000-onto-screens-2022-12-16/

Amazon.com is seeking to bring popular fantasy miniature game "Warhammer 40,000" to screens after agreeing in principle to produce film and television content with its British developer.

already looking forward to a female emperor and 2 million youtube vids explaining why Wokehammer 40k can SUCK MY BALLS  :lol

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19748 on: December 16, 2022, 02:38:16 PM »

already looking forward to a female emperor and 2 million youtube vids explaining why Wokehammer 40k can SUCK MY BALLS  :lol
Hopefully, what we get is 6000 four-hour videos explaining why the Warhammer Amazon series is fascist propaganda and anyone who watches it is a Nazi.
Spud

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #19749 on: December 16, 2022, 02:48:58 PM »

To reduce invisibility in entertainment, and where the story allows, we aim to include one character from each of the following categories for speaking roles of any size, and at minimum 50% of the total of these should be women: (1) lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or gender non-conforming / non-binary; (2) person with a disability; and (3) three regionally underrepresented racial/ethnic/cultural groups (e.g. in the US, three of the following: Black, Latinx, Indigenous, Middle Eastern/North African, or Asian / Pacific Islander or Multi-Racial). A single character can fulfill one or more of these identities

I don't think Warhammer lore has too much issue with adding racial diversity but trying to make half the cast women sounds like a challenge. Though regardless of whatever influence Amazon has, I wonder if you can even really do Warhammer justice on a tv budget. Having Cavill lead the charge is a good idea though to get people on board

Polident Hive

« Reply #19750 on: December 16, 2022, 06:42:07 PM »
Isn’t the Astartes guy working with Games Workshop? If you want another way to get fans onboard, say he’s involved in some capacity. Making the opening credits. Anecdotal, I know people who saw those and immediately went “…I should get into 40k”

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19751 on: December 16, 2022, 09:45:09 PM »
It's perfect for one of those big budget, high concept, niche audience shows that loses a new streaming startup a shitload of money, but gains them immediate nerd cred on the internet and builds a long tail reputation.
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19752 on: December 17, 2022, 10:38:48 AM »
The Recruit is actually pretty good.  Going in I didn't think it would have as much comedy/weird tone as it does.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #19753 on: December 17, 2022, 10:54:16 AM »
Isn’t the Astartes guy working with Games Workshop? If you want another way to get fans onboard, say he’s involved in some capacity. Making the opening credits. Anecdotal, I know people who saw those and immediately went “…I should get into 40k”
Yeah Games workshop hired him and he's now making something offical. One could hope that Astartes is pretty much the blueprint for this project. Felt like the first time for me that it wasn't just cool seeing space marines in action but also delivering it with a cinematic caliber. Really good directing by that guy.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #19754 on: December 17, 2022, 11:06:49 AM »
why can't they make cool stuff about gangsters and shit like they used to, instead of all of this lame nerd trash :tocry
(ice)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19755 on: December 17, 2022, 11:03:44 PM »
The Recruit was good.  Looking forward to another season.  Also, Nathan Fillion was in it for like 30 seconds lol.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19756 on: December 18, 2022, 02:56:07 AM »
It was good until Fillion was in it.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19757 on: December 18, 2022, 03:23:31 PM »
I don't think Warhammer lore has too much issue with adding racial diversity but trying to make half the cast women sounds like a challenge. Though regardless of whatever influence Amazon has, I wonder if you can even really do Warhammer justice on a tv budget. Having Cavill lead the charge is a good idea though to get people on board

I guess it depends on if they're making it specifically about space marines or life for regular folks on a hive world, a la necromunda or inquistor

Bebpo

« Reply #19758 on: December 18, 2022, 04:15:45 PM »
Really not liking this adaptation of His Dark Materials much in S3. Also no one on the internet seems to give a shit that it's airing. Not seeing talk about it anywhere. Good thing this is the last season. Would totally get cancelled otherwise.

The acting/directing/visuals are fine, but as always with adaptations, the fucking writers who think they know better than the source material and change shit just to change shit actively makes everything worse. Not only are most of the good scenes from Book 3 cut, but they add in stupid stuff like pitting Lyra and Will against each other in squabbles. It's just ...dumb. So much time in this adaptation across the three seaons is spent on the Magistrate and they are such minor characters. Bleh.

The last ep of Season 2 was the only great ep, and that's because the ending to Book #2 is so good even a worse version is pretty good.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #19759 on: December 18, 2022, 06:07:33 PM »
why can't they make cool stuff about gangsters and shit like they used to, instead of all of this lame nerd trash :tocry

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19760 on: December 18, 2022, 11:35:57 PM »
So got StackTV on Prime so I could watch Big Timber season 3, and it costs 12$ a month on top of prime and still serves commercials -- 4 per 45-minute episode.  SMH. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19761 on: December 21, 2022, 11:13:03 PM »
Jack Ryan season 3 was good.  Better than the second at least.  It didn't really make any logical sense but it was nice to have some Russian villains again.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Even if it ''NoT aCtuAlLy the RuSiAnS".
[close]

It also had the cool line 'I'm not your ghost.  You are mine.'

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19762 on: December 22, 2022, 09:38:40 PM »
Watched the first episode of Three Pines with Alfred Molina.  :dead  This is one of the most ridiculous unintentional comedies I have seen.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #19763 on: December 22, 2022, 10:23:03 PM »
Gave The Peripheral a shot after people kept praising it and two episodes in it's pretty good so far. Love me some scifi warfare

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19764 on: December 24, 2022, 10:58:45 AM »
I somehow missed that Bosch: Legacy came out in May.  Watched the first episode and it seems to be just Bosch season 9.  I thought, and was worried, that with the retitle it would be more of a change.   

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19765 on: December 25, 2022, 12:19:00 AM »
SAS Rouge Heros is good, despite having a Discovery Channel circa 2002 name.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #19766 on: December 26, 2022, 03:33:50 PM »
The Teacher is some maddening stupid bullshit of a show  :lol

Its about a female teacher who has an alcohol problem - as in, every time she goes out drinking gets literally blackout drunk - and seems to regularly go to a pickup joint night club - that all her fucking students knows she goes to - and also seemingly regularly gets rando fucked and walk of shames straight to school in her last nights fuck me outfits.
And this isn't some stupid straight out of uni naive dumbass, she's like, a fucking 40 something head of department who takes her career super serial  :lol

So on one of her drunken blackout rando shag nights, ends up copping off with one of her 15 year old students in the night club toilets, gets accused of statutory rape and pleads guilty because, hey, she was black out drunk maybe she did do it?

and it turns out she didn't actually fuck him, but a teacher she used to work with set her up in some elaborate honeytrap because she ratted him out for actually fucking one of his students at a previous school, so thats all right then?
[close]

laughable, ridiculous trash I don't know who wrote this or what they were trying to say, but its all over the fucking place  :lol

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #19767 on: December 26, 2022, 06:08:25 PM »
Alice in Borderland Season 2 is really solid. Having a great time with it. I hope they can manage a third season despite Netflix being so eager to cancel stuff.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19768 on: December 26, 2022, 06:52:37 PM »
Watched first episode of The Peripheral.  It was pretty cool, surprised its not getting more hype.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19769 on: December 26, 2022, 06:55:35 PM »
Finished Cyberpunk.

Like most anime, I completely lost all the story threads by the end and didn't really care. Visual spectacle was cool though.
Spud

Polident Hive

« Reply #19770 on: December 26, 2022, 06:58:37 PM »
Alice in Borderland Season 2 is really solid. Having a great time with it. I hope they can manage a third season despite Netflix being so eager to cancel stuff.

I’m liking it. In some ways it’s leaning harder in the direction of Lost this season.

Spoiler for the third or fourth episode
That prisoner game sure escalated quickly. Rules were like “this is a marathon. we have resources to survive for months. slowly you’ll break and betray one another.” After one round, guess we’ll start killing? Wrap it up in an afternoon :idont
[close]

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19771 on: December 30, 2022, 05:54:40 AM »
Quite enjoying Only Murders in the Building. Halfway through S1.

Edit: finished season 1. Such a good parody of true crime shows and podcasts and even fan culture. Can't wait to see where season 2 goes.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 08:05:09 AM by Potato »
Spud

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #19772 on: December 30, 2022, 06:01:51 AM »
Fleishman is in trouble spoiler for the last episode
of course claire danes is playing someone out of control
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19773 on: January 02, 2023, 04:08:04 AM »
Watched first episode of The Peripheral.  It was pretty cool, surprised its not getting more hype.

https://screenrant.com/peripheral-show-more-popular-rings-power-amazon/

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the-peripheral/s01

77 critics, and 86 audience. It’s already renewed.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #19774 on: January 02, 2023, 09:29:15 AM »
Watching the Witcher: Blood Origin to see how bad it is with my own eyes and yes this shit fucking sucks. It looks very low budget and and the writing is so hack its like they crowd sourced the script from one of those 'you write the next line of the story threads' on resetera :teehee

4 da UK bredren: its so cheap and shite its kinda like something Channel 5 would have had on circa 2002.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 09:33:31 AM by Pissy F Benny »
(ice)

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #19775 on: January 02, 2023, 09:52:34 AM »
Watching the Witcher: Blood Origin to see how bad it is with my own eyes and yes this shit fucking sucks. It looks very low budget and and the writing is so hack its like they crowd sourced the script from one of those 'you write the next line of the story threads' on resetera :teehee

4 da UK bredren: its so cheap and shite its kinda like something Channel 5 would have had on circa 2002.

The budget reminds of something like "The Legend of the seeker" but legend of the seeker at least had a cast full of hot people

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #19776 on: January 02, 2023, 11:01:22 AM »
I suspect this rubbish and Cavill leaving will kill give Netflix the excuse to kill off their involvement in the Witcher franchise after the 3rd main series is done (I couldn't even be bothered to watch much further than first episode on series 2 anyway). No point in spending big on an already risky Liam Hemsworth re-cast 4 that everyone will hate anyway.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 11:07:26 AM by Pissy F Benny »
(ice)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19777 on: January 06, 2023, 04:48:09 AM »
Just finished a really good Australian show called Black Snow. Cold case murder mystery. Really good. Has Travis Fimmel from Vikings as the detective.
Spud

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #19778 on: January 06, 2023, 10:32:35 AM »
Rewatching all of friends.

This show is so troublesome.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19779 on: January 08, 2023, 08:22:12 PM »
The Peripheral was good.  I am also completely confused by the season ending. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19780 on: January 11, 2023, 07:43:50 PM »
I've been sice for 5 days straight, so I watched a bunch of TV.

Amazon Prime's Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan's TV reboot. This character has been played by many people, and rarely well. He's an ex-marine and an analyst. S1 of this was very good. Three episodes in, S2 is dropping the mild-mannered analyst in favor of a Jason Bourne approach, both in Ryan's attitud and production values (color palette/post-process, environmental tone, camera work) and it's much less enjoyable. Noomi Rapace shows up though, so I'll struggle through.

The BOYS. I'm caught up. S3 finale felt rushed, and made some dumb writing mistakes that I didn't see in S1 or 2. It's a good ride, and Anthony Starr is a treat to watch.

Tim Burton's Wednesday's Harry Potter Adventure
. This was a delight. Became less of a procedural and more of a wizard school battle by the end, but the characters are strong, and I'm excited for next season.

The Peripheral was good.  I am also completely confused by the season ending.

Yeah, it's the first major divergence from the book. It's confusing, and potentially hypocritical for Flynn, but I'm trying to keep my mind open, considering how much else the show has done right so far.

Tasty

« Reply #19781 on: January 11, 2023, 08:24:11 PM »
Noomi should be in more stuff.

Tasty

« Reply #19782 on: January 11, 2023, 08:24:36 PM »

Would you say... problematic?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19783 on: January 11, 2023, 09:11:48 PM »
https://www.cracked.com/amp/article_36544_everything-about-kelsey-grammers-sketch-show-was-pretty-great-except-for-kelsey-grammer.html

Lee Mack, Kaitlin Olson, Paul F. Tompkins and Kelsey Grammer were all in a show together, the fuck

« Reply #19784 on: January 12, 2023, 12:34:54 PM »
Velma is unbelievably bad. I think there was one mildly humorous bit in the two episodes. Not laugh worthy, mind, but amusing.

Fred is a manchild; the first two episodes feature Fred asking for "cutties" for his food. He can't cut his pancakes or steak.

I think the Drinker, etc., every angry youtuber will load his plate harping on Velma.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #19785 on: January 12, 2023, 01:10:32 PM »

Would you say... problematic?

I love how this show edged the line for the most part.

All the ew gay jokes ended up paying off with ross and joey sleeping together, and him having another kid with another lesbian (rachel)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19786 on: January 13, 2023, 08:06:38 AM »
Jack Ryan S2 is a serious disappointment compared to S1. Poorly paced, clumsy throughlines, two comically evil antagonists… this is a mess.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19787 on: January 13, 2023, 08:28:42 AM »
Yep.  S3 is better than 2 though. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19788 on: January 13, 2023, 09:42:15 AM »
Yep.  S3 is better than 2 though.
God damnit. I’d just managed to give up on this, was going to rewatch The Expanse.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19789 on: January 13, 2023, 04:42:24 PM »
I mean better but not S1 good.  It's entertaining though. 

Potato

• Senior's Member
Spud

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #19791 on: January 14, 2023, 01:26:29 PM »
I hear he burns an egg.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19792 on: January 14, 2023, 08:32:07 PM »
4 Eps into Midnight mass -- this is really good.  It's been a strongly crafted story so far and executed just as well for the vast majority of the time.  The drama and characters are more interesting than the horror or mystery, but I didn't think that's a bad thing. 

The girl with the mirror shards embedded in her is some of the best horror imagery I have seen recently. 
[close]

It's basically Salem's Lot done in a more palatable way, at least for me.
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19793 on: January 15, 2023, 12:02:02 AM »
Man that was a great show

Tasty

« Reply #19794 on: January 15, 2023, 11:48:08 PM »
Apparently TLOU is Pretty Gud. Gonna watch it later. After the amazing Chernobyl I'm definitely following Craig Mazin.

Bebpo

« Reply #19795 on: January 16, 2023, 12:41:25 AM »
Well that definitely was The Last of Us

Tasty

« Reply #19796 on: January 16, 2023, 01:36:15 AM »
TLOU was pretty good! Glad I never played my PS3 pack-in.

Bebpo

« Reply #19797 on: January 16, 2023, 02:50:29 AM »
Man that was a great show

Main dude was absolutely pointless and accomplished nothing by killing himself.
[close]

I liked the show but it had pretty severe issues in plot bringing it down. It was like a way worse Salem's Lot.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19798 on: January 16, 2023, 09:05:53 AM »
It was the catalyst to let the suspicious people group together and get some understanding of what was happening before the end.  Without that, they would never believe the situation, had been aware that the last mass was a trap with the boats being disabled, nor would realize that sunlight can kill the vampires -- leading to the final plan of burning everything down. 

More than that it was thematic of him turning his life around and sacrificing himself instead of continuing to be a monster and possibly hurting someone.  Same with his parents talking about how they didn't drink blood.  The win there is saving their morality, not staying alive.
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19799 on: January 19, 2023, 09:53:11 PM »
Junji Ito first two episodes are decent.  Episode 2 is way better than the first.  There is a generic anime quality to it though. 

Vox Machina S2E1:  man I love this show, I'm not sure how objectively good it is, but reliving the campaign, especially moments like this, is such a treat.  The CGI dragons are terrible lol but they said that the budget would like double if they didn't do that.  Compared to the drawn gore, which is well done, like the blood splatters inside the ice crystals.