Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2046485 times)

Snoopycat_

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #19800 on: January 20, 2023, 02:15:13 PM »
I watched White Lotus. It was good. I thought the 2nd season was better. It was darker and felt like shit could go wrong at any moment. The manager in the 1st season was brilliant but the characters were more interesting in the 2nd. The whores working their way through the family. The tech bros. The weird gays. It reminded me of Eyes Wide Shut. I didn’t know anything about the show and only looked up reviews because I read Sopranos Christopher was in it. Otherwise I wouldn’t have bothered. Anyway recommended.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19801 on: January 20, 2023, 02:59:37 PM »

Snoopycat_

« Reply #19802 on: January 21, 2023, 07:07:53 AM »
Also Armand -

is literally an Aussie Basil

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #19803 on: January 22, 2023, 08:38:25 AM »
Been watching Tulsa King, it really straddles the line of being awesome and being terrible very well :itagaki
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #19804 on: January 23, 2023, 01:31:30 AM »
Last of Us is good but every outdoor city shot in ep2 looked they they were green screen acting in front of PS5 game backdrops lol

Bebpo

« Reply #19805 on: January 23, 2023, 03:30:57 PM »
So apparently Last of Us HBO is doing really well in ratings.

Guess Last of Us 2 is a lock now. Way more excited for that one. Last of Us is a good story, but at the end of the day it's just another zombie show.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #19806 on: January 23, 2023, 05:40:03 PM »
I watched some of the first ep and it seems perfectly fine and well made, but I hated the game and found the series boring as fuck and turned it about 2/3rds of the way thru.

Fwiw my beef with the game is almost all to do with being done with the Naughty Dog formula about 3/4 of the way through Uncharted 3.
(ice)

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #19807 on: January 23, 2023, 06:45:15 PM »
I’m liking the last of us show except for two things
1. The opening scenes set in the past. I hope there’s not one per episode.
2. The (lack of) gore. I want to see some clicker heads fucking explode.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #19808 on: January 24, 2023, 09:28:39 AM »

:rejoice

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19809 on: January 24, 2023, 09:53:06 AM »
New TLOU episode was great! Lol @ people saying the infected 'kissed' her 😂
What

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #19810 on: January 24, 2023, 12:51:00 PM »
I’m liking the last of us show except for two things
1. The opening scenes set in the past. I hope there’s not one per episode.
2. The (lack of) gore. I want to see some clicker heads fucking explode.

How many tiddies?
:O

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #19811 on: January 25, 2023, 05:24:18 AM »
Lol @ people saying the infected 'kissed' her 😂

It did. Mazin literally told in a podcast that that was the point of the scene. Can the zombie only spread the funghi through violence or other means as well?

“It's disturbing and it's violative. I think it's very primal in the way it invades your own body.”

Beezy

Tasty

« Reply #19813 on: January 25, 2023, 01:50:27 PM »
TLOU ep2:

- Ellie is really annoying, maybe that's the point having not played the games but from cultural osmosis I dunno, maybe because Ellen/Eliot Page had a deeper voice it wasn't so annoying? "Well based on that information, I vote we don't die." 🙄 Shut the fuck up ya twerp.

- Pedro Pascal continues to nail it. Such a versatile actor.

- The ending with the "kiss" was dumb. Why'd she just let it happen? Maybe Tess was into some kinkier stuff than I thought but I would have expected her to fight them off, get pinned down or something, then have the "kiss" forced onto her.

Otherwise loved the episode and looking forward to next week. I did really like Tess though so I hope the rest stays interesting. Getting a little too jokey of a vibe from Ron Swanson in the previews... ehh...

I actually love the flashback cold opens. Maybe they're boring to game players but I was pretty on the edge of my seat for ep 2's. They dole out exposition without needing it to be dumped out in dialogue.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19814 on: January 25, 2023, 01:53:28 PM »
Lol @ people saying the infected 'kissed' her 😂

It did. Mazin literally told in a podcast that that was the point of the scene. Can the zombie only spread the funghi through violence or other means as well?

“It's disturbing and it's violative. I think it's very primal in the way it invades your own body.”

Yeah but its not really a kiss is it? Its just the fungus trying to get to the other fungus. From a creature that doesnt even know what a kiss is, Id be hard pressed to say its a kiss.
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19815 on: January 25, 2023, 01:54:17 PM »
- The ending with the "kiss" was dumb. Why'd she just let it happen? Maybe Tess was into some kinkier stuff than I thought but I would have expected her to fight them off, get pinned down or something, then have the "kiss" forced onto her.

She was already infected and she couldnt fight it. Or she didnt want to fight it and get ripped apart.
What

Tasty

« Reply #19816 on: January 25, 2023, 02:25:30 PM »
Lame and dumb. Tess is a fighter, right? A survivor?

Well, until we need a cool moment for HBO...

Snoopycat_

« Reply #19818 on: January 25, 2023, 07:24:10 PM »
Slow Horses 2 is excellent. You should watch that instead of stupid emo sad dad shit

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19819 on: January 26, 2023, 01:09:43 PM »

The characters in the show need not do exactly as they did in the game imo.
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #19820 on: January 26, 2023, 01:18:30 PM »
Tasty said last page he didn't play the game. Characters turning moronic and out of character because the writer needs something to happen isn't good writing.

Tasty

« Reply #19821 on: January 26, 2023, 03:18:58 PM »
Right. My only exposure to Tess is episode 1 and 2 of the show. From that, her final moments didn't add up to me. But it's honestly just a nitpick that shouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things, unless every episode has stuff like that going forward. Which I'm not expecting but who knows. :idont

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19822 on: January 26, 2023, 03:36:42 PM »
I think its a combination of shock and the infection already taking hold over her but to each their own interpretation
What

thetylerrob

« Reply #19823 on: January 26, 2023, 03:51:00 PM »
The zombies kiss people in the show because it fits with the themes of the game, living vs surviving, pragmatism vs idealism, etc.

Love will get you killed, by zombies that french kiss  :-*.

james

« Reply #19824 on: January 26, 2023, 04:18:11 PM »
Benn watching Season 11 of TWD as its finally on Netflix and its shockingly good.

By shockingly good I mean a solid 6/10 vs the 0/10 of the last few season. Actually watchable.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #19825 on: January 26, 2023, 05:04:35 PM »
Benn watching Season 11 of TWD as its finally on Netflix and its shockingly good.

By shockingly good I mean a solid 6/10 vs the 0/10 of the last few season. Actually watchable.

Sweet, I was gonna give it a shot when it aired on AMC, but I guess I can now with my transphobe subscription

Bebpo

« Reply #19826 on: January 27, 2023, 02:16:56 AM »
Signed up for Peacock and watched the first ep of Poker Face. Damn, that was a long ep. Felt like an entire movie. Was solid, not sure if it felt channeling Rian Johnson that much in style compared to his other works, but could be depending on where it goes from there.

One thing though was the streaming bitrate on Peacock was probably the worst I've ever seen in a streaming app. The entire ep was like watching jpgs in motion, just non-stop compression everywhere. Definitely made it look a bit ugly.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19827 on: January 27, 2023, 03:01:42 AM »
Started Vox Machina S2.

First episode was good
Spud

Snoopycat_

« Reply #19828 on: January 29, 2023, 05:57:34 AM »
I think reality tv has finally peaked. Milf Manor. A dating show where a bunch of horny old bags are dumped on some island with their milf hunting sons.

"Meanwhile, Joey stops Kelle when she tries to seduce Ryan, the thirty-year-old son of another milf, Shannan, six hours into the retreat. “Mom! You’ve gotta be joking,” Joey sputters, as Kelle complains that he’s “cock-blocking” her."

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/on-television/the-motherlovers-of-milf-manor

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19829 on: January 29, 2023, 08:47:52 AM »
30 rock did it first

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19830 on: January 29, 2023, 11:27:05 PM »
Lockewood and Co. on Netflix has some good worldbuilding and is pretty solid in its first two episodes. Great incidental music and the period songs they choose are stellar.

Tasty

« Reply #19831 on: January 30, 2023, 12:18:06 AM »
TLOU ep3

Haven't cried this hard since The Body. Fully won over to this show now. Amazing combination of subversions and classic writing tropes written well.

james

« Reply #19832 on: January 30, 2023, 12:22:51 AM »
Been watching Season 3 of the Orville.

Last episode I saw was 1 hour 22 minutes long.

These motherfuckers made a full season of movies and called it TV .

And the budgets are sky high too.

10/10

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19833 on: January 30, 2023, 12:30:45 AM »
Been watching Season 3 of the Orville.

Last episode I saw was 1 hour 22 minutes long.

These motherfuckers made a full season of movies and called it TV .

And the budgets are sky high too.

10/10

The Orville is all the Star Trek we wanted, and deserved. Paramount gave us PICARD and DISCOVERY, which may have been trying to explore new ground — but then again, so did the Star Wars Prequels.

Orville is essentially updated TNG, and its season three are a number of near-movie-length clinics on what the TNG movies could have been but were not.

Tasty

« Reply #19834 on: January 30, 2023, 12:38:26 AM »
I just wish it wasn't a Seth Macfarlane farce.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19835 on: January 30, 2023, 12:46:31 AM »
s1 is comedy-Trek, but s2 and s3 handle it with TNG-level seriousness. It's good.

Coax

« Reply #19836 on: January 30, 2023, 01:11:14 AM »
Just checked and there are no Blu-Ray releases :fbm

james

« Reply #19837 on: January 30, 2023, 01:16:57 AM »
I just wish it wasn't a Seth Macfarlane farce.

Why? After a couple of episodes youll forget the captain is also a teddy bear, especially because hes not doing the Boston accent

Bebpo

« Reply #19838 on: January 30, 2023, 03:44:43 AM »
Poker Face ep2 was great and felt way more Johnson than ep1 which was a bit traditional. Lots of style and good amount of humor.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #19839 on: January 30, 2023, 04:40:42 AM »
TLOU ep3

Haven't cried this hard since The Body. Fully won over to this show now. Amazing combination of subversions and classic writing tropes written well.

Are they subtle about Bill being gay or did they turn it into complete schmaltz? Cause he is my favourite character in the original game.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19840 on: January 30, 2023, 06:17:36 AM »
s1 is comedy-Trek, but s2 and s3 handle it with TNG-level seriousness. It's good.
@Tasty listen to this man
Spud

Superstar

« Reply #19841 on: January 30, 2023, 11:07:42 AM »

The characters in the show need not do exactly as they did in the game imo.
I feel like Ellie should be the same since she's what makes everything tick. Yet they've made her completely different for the show. I don't get why they took the direction they have with her.

Tasty

« Reply #19842 on: January 30, 2023, 11:14:43 AM »
TLOU ep3

Are they subtle about Bill being gay or did they turn it into complete schmaltz? Cause he is my favourite character in the original game.

Bit of both.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #19843 on: January 30, 2023, 11:16:03 AM »
I've not watched it, but why wouldn't they get W Earl Brown to reprise that role instead of getting the Parks and Rec dude to cosplay him? Seems fucking stupid.
(ice)

Tasty

« Reply #19844 on: January 30, 2023, 03:00:36 PM »
Their original choice of actor had a scheduling conflict with Our Flag Means Death.

Bebpo

« Reply #19845 on: January 31, 2023, 12:00:21 AM »
Wow, Last of Us ep3 was phenomenal. First bit where the show is better than the section of the game it covers. Really clever way of changing and adapting the source material arc and making it work as a show.

Man, if they do this for some of the later parts...fuck, this is going to be great.

Tasty

« Reply #19846 on: January 31, 2023, 01:49:55 AM »
Wow, Last of Us ep3 was phenomenal. First bit where the show is better than the section of the game it covers. Really clever way of changing and adapting the source material arc and making it work as a show.

Man, if they do this for some of the later parts...fuck, this is going to be great.

AND it's renewed for season two :hyper

Snoopycat_

« Reply #19847 on: January 31, 2023, 08:33:24 AM »
TLOU is weird. Sometimes it looks great. Other times it's really obvious they're on a soundstage. Not sure if it's the set dressing or the cgi that makes it stand out. I noticed it while watching the 2nd ep last night. The first few minutes when they left the room and stood in front of the tower blocks didn't look right. Other moments like when they were crossing the bridge and looking down at the infected were fine. It's strange.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #19848 on: January 31, 2023, 08:54:16 AM »

I finally watched Invincible season 1 and I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure what sparked my interest in it, and I knew a lot of the beats from internet spoilers and still thought it was great fun. Hyperviolent action mixed with YA superhero struggles.
rub

Polident Hive

« Reply #19849 on: January 31, 2023, 10:11:32 AM »
Signed up for Peacock and watched the first ep of Poker Face. Damn, that was a long ep. Felt like an entire movie. Was solid, not sure if it felt channeling Rian Johnson that much in style compared to his other works, but could be depending on where it goes from there.

One thing though was the streaming bitrate on Peacock was probably the worst I've ever seen in a streaming app. The entire ep was like watching jpgs in motion, just non-stop compression everywhere. Definitely made it look a bit ugly.

What are you using Peacock on? Typically I use TV apps (LG), but I learned last night some don’t support 4K HDR. Picture is considerably better using one of those Amazon Fire android dongles.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19850 on: January 31, 2023, 01:11:00 PM »
Yes the new tlou was really good
What

Bebpo

« Reply #19851 on: January 31, 2023, 03:05:34 PM »

What are you using Peacock on? Typically I use TV apps (LG), but I learned last night some don’t support 4K HDR. Picture is considerably better using one of those Amazon Fire android dongles.

Oh yeah, I watched ep1 on LG TV app and it stream quality fucking sucked.
I watched ep2 on PS5 Peacock app and it looked pretty good.

I always thought the TV apps for LG were the best way to watch stuff, especially since PS5 doesn't support Dolby Vision, so I only get HDR (which is still fine) when streaming on PS5 whereas LG App does DV. But apparently you're right, some of the TV apps aren't that great for streaming quality.

I also have a Roku, I just never have it plugged in because I only use it once a year or two for Plex.

Tasty

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19853 on: January 31, 2023, 09:17:14 PM »
Cunk on Earth is pretty good

"Do we know if China has a roof?  Is there a Great Roof of China?"

Snoopycat_

« Reply #19854 on: January 31, 2023, 09:20:52 PM »
I foolishly thought Milf Manor would be the best thing on tv this year. Wrong! Meet Gunther -

"Gunther VI, the latest in a long line of German Shepherds, is the richest animal in the world, valued at somewhere between $400-$500 million.

Somehow, though, that’s the least wild facet of Gunther’s Millions, a four-part Netflix docuseries premiering on Feb. 1. An investigation into the pooch’s wealth that exposes both public deceptions and personal hang-ups, it’s a non-fiction effort of outrageous absurdity, replete with revelations about money laundering, cult-like behavior, animal abuse, Nazi-esque eugenics, wild orgies, and porn stars."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/gunthers-millions-the-worlds-richest-dog-connected-to-orgies-and-scams

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19855 on: February 01, 2023, 05:49:05 AM »
Caught up on Vox Machina S2. Sooo damn good.
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19856 on: February 01, 2023, 09:22:21 PM »
Cunk on Earth

"Millions of young men died during the war.  But, fortuitously, humankind had discovered a new kind of man: the woman." 

Snoopycat_

« Reply #19857 on: February 02, 2023, 07:39:39 AM »
You people should watch Cunk's other show Mandy. The eps are only 15-20 minutes long, but fuck me she's a nightmare character

Bebpo

« Reply #19858 on: February 04, 2023, 01:13:21 AM »
Poker Face is so good after ep1. This may be my favorite show in 2023. It's just super well made and every ep is fun after ep1. Ep1 was solid but it's played a little too straight, whereas eps 2-4 have been more silly and humorous. Haven't seen ep5 yet. Even with Rian Johnson's quality career, this could end up being one of the best things he's been part of.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19859 on: February 05, 2023, 06:02:13 PM »