Author Topic: Mobile Gaming [Android/iOS] Thread  (Read 436456 times)

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
I got an iCade for $50 at BBB and hooked up iMAME with custom ROMs. the future is the past is now
乱学者

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Told yall niccas. King Cashing is the hotness. Fuck a Dungeon Raid.
fat

Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich

• •••
King cashing rox

YES

I got an iCade for $50 at BBB and hooked up iMAME with custom ROMs. the future is the past is now

did the same thing. always wanted to make a MAME cabinet for the bedroom but this will do.
うぐう

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
are there any rpgs or srpgs on this thing that DON'T have suckysucky virtual d-pads? tangentially: sonic cd, despite having the first decent graphic port EVER, is unplayable.

When is a d-pad relevant in either of those? Unless you actually play those poopy Korean games.
fat

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm

Any in depth impressions?

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
king cashing is a total snore. dungeon raid 4 lifes
duc

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
King cashing is novel but yeah, boring
o_0

AdmiralViscen

king cashing is a total snore. dungeon raid 4 lifes

Any reason to buy the full version? I like the lite

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon

On an iPad 2, it runs anything "old" perfectly (Ms. Pacman, Frogger, Joust, Galaga, etc.) CPS2 and Neo Geo run great, too (SF2CE, Final Fight, Metal Slug 1+2, Magician Lord). Konami 4-6 player sidescrollers are also fine. Some racing games and modern beat-em-ups give it grief, as do MK2 and UMK3, sadly. Overall, though, it runs a lot more games a lot better than I expected. If iMAME comes back and you can still drop in your own ROMS, I highly recommend it.

The box itself is wood, not plastic, and much better build quality than you might expect. It IS a tiny arcade machine.
乱学者

Stoney Mason

I really shouldn't buy that icade as I know it will only be something I use like once or twice to feed my nostalgia...but I'll probably but it anyway.

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
thanks for the icade impressions, I ordered one last week from bbb so it should be here any minute now. can't wait to play some platformers on the sucka, especially super crate box when that comes out this week.
pyh

cool breeze

King cashing is the best game to play for a minute at a time.  I don't know if I would like it on consoles or ds/psp (maybe PC).

I still haven't played much of dead space even though it seems cool.  I don't have the attention or time to play a console style game on the go.  I guess the difference is that I'm playing it on my iphone, so ipad standards are different.

Stoney Mason

King cashing is the best game to play for a minute at a time.  I don't know if I would like it on consoles or ds/psp (maybe PC).

I still haven't played much of dead space even though it seems cool.  I don't have the attention or time to play a console style game on the go.  I guess the difference is that I'm playing it on my iphone, so ipad standards are different.

King Cashing wouldn't work on other platforms but its perfect for an iOS platform. Especially a touch or iPhone. The biggest difference between iPad and iPhone games is that the screen size makes certain games feasible that fat fingers simply destroy on the smaller screens. I was really surprised at how much it changes things.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever

On an iPad 2, it runs anything "old" perfectly (Ms. Pacman, Frogger, Joust, Galaga, etc.) CPS2 and Neo Geo run great, too (SF2CE, Final Fight, Metal Slug 1+2, Magician Lord). Konami 4-6 player sidescrollers are also fine. Some racing games and modern beat-em-ups give it grief, as do MK2 and UMK3, sadly. Overall, though, it runs a lot more games a lot better than I expected. If iMAME comes back and you can still drop in your own ROMS, I highly recommend it.

The box itself is wood, not plastic, and much better build quality than you might expect. It IS a tiny arcade machine.

i don't suppose there is any way to use it horizontally? How are you playing Metal Slug?
vjj

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
it's not a dock, just a Bluetooth controller, so it works in either orientation. the "portrait" mode sits back in the cabinet like a recessed CRT, while the "landscape" mode sits on a shelf indentation just in front of the cabinet edge. either works great. looking forward to Super Crate Box!
乱学者

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
superb! It's pretty pricey in yen but will probably pull the trigger on it once i get iPad 3 and have a spare iPad to fill up with ROMs.
vjj

AdmiralViscen

Is imame a jailbreak app or something taken down from the store? Is the carbinet worth it if I lack that app?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
It was a jailbreak app that was put on the store for a little bit.
fat

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
itm

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
lovin super crate box. works really well on the iPad. will play even better when I get my icade tomorrow!
pyh

BobFromPikeCreek

King Cashing feels so pointless.. but I can't help but be hopelessly addicted.
zzzzz

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
lovin super crate box. works really well on the iPad. will play even better when I get my icade tomorrow!

both it and Muffin Knight (SCB clone with RPG elements) work great on iCade!
乱学者

Wario64

I didn't know Muffin Knight was inspired by SCB. I remember downloading it when it was free and thought it sucked...

Stoney Mason

I got someone else addicted to Ticket to Ride

IPad gaming

:bow2

Himu

Holy fuck, Oregon Trail is the best ios game I've played. It's AMAZING and so glorious.
IYKYK

Flunkie

Never thought I'd see King Cashing catch on anywhere. Always thought of it as a guilty pleasure.

Chinner

you guys play temple run? its pretty addictive.

MrAngryFace

Muffin knight rules
o_0

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
ordered an iCade. I suspect it's gonna rock faces :rock
vjj

pilonv1

Despite having all these awesome games I still only really play Caracassonne. It's so good.
itm

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Been playing Eternal Legacy. Great soundtrack for a third rate RPG
fat

BobFromPikeCreek

Downloading Mole Kart.
zzzzz

BobFromPikeCreek

Shit sucks.
zzzzz

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
iOS sucks right now. I want Chaos Rings 2. Or something with stats. Where are the third rate SRPGs at? Is Ravenmark the only one after all these years?
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Despite having all these awesome games I still only really play Caracassonne. It's so good.
Yeah, I like playing it even though I always come in last to you and Groo.  :P

Bebpo

Scar of The Doll was mentioned on gaf so I picked it up.  Engriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish, but it's 4-6 hour visual novel for $1 that may possibly have a decent story.  Will play next time I'm on a trip.

Stoney Mason

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
COME TO SHO NUFF  :o

FatalT

Welp, I went ahead and jailbroke my iphone. NOW I CAN HAVE AAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL THE APPS.

MrAngryFace

When?! Between this and Zen Pinball awesommmme. ShoNuff - did you see the Excalibur table will be available soon for ipad- thats one of their best imo
o_0

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Namco is releasing Soul Calibur for iOS next week. 
ど助平

Sho Nuff

I bet it will cost $3.99 and each additional character will be $1.99

Stoney Mason

Hero Academy. Free (Although you have buy IAP to get different squads) multiplayer asynchronous multiplayer strategy title. Made by Robot Entertainment, the former ensemble guys and they also did Orcs Must Die and Age of Empires Online.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hero-academy/id488156323?mt=8

Seems simple and fun enough.

My game name is StoneyMason

Bebpo

Robot is former Ensemble?  No wonder Orcs Must Die feels so professional and polished.  Ensemble were a great studio.

pilonv1

Made by Robot Entertainment, the former ensemble guys and they also did Orcs Must Die and Age of Empires Online.

Really? I loved Ensemble.
itm

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
My iCade arrived today. Been going through this huge-ass thread on Touch Arcade looking for recs, and some GREAT little games have turned up. Super Crate Box and Minotaur 2012 are the winners so far. I cannot even imagine playing the former with touch screen controls. It's f'ing brutal as it is.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=96023&page=55
vjj

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
My favorite "I can't believe this game has touch controls" is Forget-Me-Not. It goes from clever to AWESOME with the iCade. Hope you're enjoying it!
乱学者

AdmiralViscen

Is it too late to get one of those cheap?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
They announced a few new models at CES so it seems likely old stock will go for cheap...assuming that was what happened with the BB&B deal...

iMAME is up and running but so frustrating trying to pull together a bunch of working ROMs due to all the MAME branching. Still fucking amazeballs though. Takes me back to the happy days of hacked Xbox.
vjj

MrAngryFace

man that coming soon shit in zen pinball is such a goddamned tease GIMME DAT EXCALIBURRRRR
o_0

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
My favorite "I can't believe this game has touch controls" is Forget-Me-Not. It goes from clever to AWESOME with the iCade. Hope you're enjoying it!

I picked it up, along with a bunch more. I've heard great things about it in that Touch Arcade thread. I'll list any recs here once i've had the chance to play all of them a little more. I'll just say that there is a new Jeff Minter game out which is about as close to auto-buy as you can get really

vjj

Sho Nuff

New Jeff Minter game :hype

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
My favorite iCade games are:

iMAME (duh)
Super Crate Box / Muffin Knight
Forget-Me-Not
Boxcat
Everything Minter
乱学者

Cheebo

Ugh, I really want an iCade but I am probably going to upgrade to a iPad 3 due to sexy retina display and I just know if I get a iCade now iPad 3 will somehow end up being a different form factor and not fit in it.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 01:41:51 PM by Cheebo »
₩‰\

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
it's not like classic arcade games don't fit in iPad 2's resolution - once I get an iPad 3 my 2 is gonna be sidegraded into ALL ICADE ALL THE TIME box
乱学者

Stoney Mason

cool breeze

someone needs to make Tokyo Xtreme Racer for iOS

MrAngryFace

Excalibur table is out!
o_0