Author Topic: Mobile Gaming [Android/iOS] Thread  (Read 436375 times)

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice to see PA mentioning Snowmageddon in today's strip.
野球

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
My favorite iCade games are:

iMAME (duh)
Super Crate Box / Muffin Knight
Forget-Me-Not
Boxcat
Everything Minter

I must  be doing something wrong because i found Muffin Knight horrendous. Is the character SUPPOSED to be jumping all the time?!
I tried Forget-Me-Not - madness! Really cool stuff. Bought Boxcat just now :)
vjj

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
So is Hero Academy any good or just the flavour of the month?
itm

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
It's okay.  Mixing Words with Friends with a very preskool Advance Wars?  Eh.
püp

pilonv1

I've just heard it's sort of broken strategy wise.
itm

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
It's a vey simple lite strategy game. If you're looking for a crazy deep strategy game this ain't it. But it's fine for the market its aimed at. I like it. But then I like a casual title. I won't be playing it for years but that's not my requirement.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon

I must  be doing something wrong because i found Muffin Knight horrendous. Is the character SUPPOSED to be jumping all the time?!

No, it should play more-or-less like an exact SCB clone.
乱学者

Himu

I want Carmen Sandiego for iphone.
IYKYK

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever

No, it should play more-or-less like an exact SCB clone.

thank god i'm not completely insane. Will check the options.
vjj

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
I want Carmen Sandiego for iphone.

Fuck yes

Himu

Oregon Trail for iphone kinda owns but Carmen Sandiego, mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
IYKYK

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon

fucking horrible.  Don't even waste your time.
Tonya

Cheebo

I wonder how well the gameplay of Carmen San Diego would hold up. I recently got Oregon Trail for iPad, it's the same with the updated graphics but damnit it is still addicting.
₩‰\

Sho Nuff

:bow MECC :bow2

pilonv1

Just what I wanted to hear, thanks!
itm

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Crap, I already downloaded it! Damn it all!

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever

can't find this on the app store. details pls!
vjj

pilonv1

Crap, I already downloaded it! Damn it all!

Give it a try then, I wouldn't mind a second opinion.
itm

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon

can't find this on the app store. details pls!

Is this a joke? MECC developed the original Oregon Trail (Minnesota Educational Computing Corporation)
乱学者

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
news to me! Never had an Apple or anything that could play it. I have a weird history with games with huge gaps.

New fave with the iCade is
http://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/pixn-love-rush/id373962521?mt=8

Crazy fast platformer, beautiful visuals, fun music, a blast with iCade GO GO GO
vjj

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
oh yeah, I got that on iPhone and it was cute but unplayable with touch controls. should add it to the pile.

Hard Lines is a good TRON bike clone
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/puzzlejuice/id457273926?mt=8

It's like playing Tetris, Columns and Boggle at the same time!
乱学者

Stoney Mason

Looks like Ipad 2 on 5.01 has been jailbroken. Mac only at the moment.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
oh yeah, I got that on iPhone and it was cute but unplayable with touch controls. should add it to the pile.

Hard Lines is a good TRON bike clone

It wastes almost everything else i've played on iCade expect Super Crate Box. Better gfx and music than SCB though, IMHO. The 'one more go' factor is off the freakin' charts. Great variety in the levels, multiple play modes...
vjj

Sho Nuff

Looks like Ipad 2 on 5.01 has been jailbroken. Mac only at the moment.

AHUAHUAHUAHUA

PARTY TIME

Stoney Mason

Command line interface and GUI jailbreak for Windows 5.0.1. is now available.

I had trouble with CLI but no problem with the GUI one.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Been playing FARA... an ok Zelda clone but super distilled and well, bare. But it's cool, they should do a sequel thats way more fleshed out.

Great Little War or whatever is free, an Advance Wars type clone.
fat

Stoney Mason

retina pad

:bow2

Sho Nuff

So what should I install on my newly jailbroken phat pad

Stoney Mason

http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/

There are recommended apps in the sidebar on the right.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Ghost Trick ENGLISH iOS

$10 Universal
fat

Sho Nuff

Ghost Trick ENGLISH iOS

$10 Universal

This game appears to be mad dope

Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich

• •••
Ghost Trick ENGLISH iOS

$10 Universal

FUCKING  :o :o :o :o :o
うぐう

Stoney Mason

Will pick up this evening when it drops. Also the other Phoenix Wright games are coming to ios which is awesome.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
awesome, may even buy Ghost Trick at $10
乱学者

pilonv1

Ghost Trick ENGLISH iOS

$10 Universal

Universal you say??? :hyper
itm

cool breeze

I bought it on DS for just under $20 and still haven't played it  :'(

I wish I waited, paid less, and played it on a better platform.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
It doesnt add anything new, I'll take my physical copy and re-buy when it hits a dollar. or two.
fat

Stoney Mason

Himu

I can't believe it took them a fucking year.

Enjoy the game guys. One of last years best.
IYKYK

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
$14? fuck that
乱学者

Himu

I bought it for 35 dollars. I dunno. 14 is pretty good price, though steep compared to many other ios offerings.
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

Its 10 buck in us. You get the first two chapters free as a demo. I went ahead and bought the full thing. I'm early in Chapter 2.

Stoney Mason

Reckless Racing 2 also came out which I like.

pilonv1

Ticket To Ride got gamecenter and asynch multiplayer in an update today.

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/7708/ios-news-ticket-to-ride-pocket-gets-game-center-as

Los Altos, CA; Paris, France – February 2, 2012. Days of Wonder today announced a major update to their best-selling iPhone/iPod Touch board game Ticket to Ride® Pocket, letting players challenge friends in Apple’s GameCenter for the first time. With this update, players can play multiple simultaneous games against their friends around the world, with support for up to 4 online friends in each game. Most importantly, this new game mode supports asynchronous gameplay, letting players switch from game to game and even to other apps without losing their progress.

“This is the update Ticket to Ride players have been clamoring for since we released Ticket to Ride Pocket.” Said Eric Hautemont, Days of Wonder Founder and CEO. “We love online gameplay, but faced a challenge: ‘how do you create a great online experience on a device like the phone that is constantly being used for other functions?’ We needed to build an experience where players could come and go as they please yet have something meaningful to do when they played; the thought of having multiple games going at once was what convinced us this could work. With Multi Mode, we’ve given players what they want without compromising on the gameplay that made Ticket to Ride so popular to begin with.”

In addition to Multi Mode, Ticket to Ride Pocket allows players to play against nearby friends via an improved “Local Mode”. When connected via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, players can play against each other using any combination of iPhones, iPod Touch devices and even iPads to start spur of the moment games that bring the old school “family game night” into the digital age. And for those that prefer to play alone, 4 AI personalities, 20 unique achievements recognizing the players’ in-game accomplishments and 3 distinct leader boards all await dedicated Ticket to Ride solo players.

Still no update between iphone and ipad but it's a start.
itm

Bebpo

If you buy it, be warned.  Game is pretty slowwwww.  Also set the text speed to FAST (doesn't help the non-dialogue text :| ) in iOS settings, not in-game settings.

Bebpo

Alright, bought Ghost Trick.  Let's see if I can finish it this time.  Being in English is already a step in the right direction since it's easy on the eyes.

I hate all the fingerprints on the iphone while playing this.  Wish you could use styluses on the iphone for gaming.

Stoney Mason

Ticket to Ride is my favorite iPad game and I actually prefer it as a real time game rather than asynchronous but having options for all types is good.

I'm up to like Chapter 6 in Ghost Trick. Fun game. Phoenix Wright meets final destination.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon

If you buy it, be warned.  Game is pretty slowwwww.  Also set the text speed to FAST (doesn't help the non-dialogue text :| ) in iOS settings, not in-game settings.

iOS settings has a text speed option? more details, please.
乱学者

Bebpo

It just makes the dialogue bubbles display a whole line at a time I think.  Speeds it up a little.  But not a huge difference.  Just go to settings on your phone/ipad.

Sho Nuff

Ticket To Ride got gamecenter and asynch multiplayer in an update today.

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/7708/ios-news-ticket-to-ride-pocket-gets-game-center-as

Los Altos, CA; Paris, France – February 2, 2012. Days of Wonder today announced a major update to their best-selling iPhone/iPod Touch board game Ticket to Ride® Pocket, letting players challenge friends in Apple’s GameCenter for the first time. With this update, players can play multiple simultaneous games against their friends around the world, with support for up to 4 online friends in each game. Most importantly, this new game mode supports asynchronous gameplay, letting players switch from game to game and even to other apps without losing their progress.

“This is the update Ticket to Ride players have been clamoring for since we released Ticket to Ride Pocket.” Said Eric Hautemont, Days of Wonder Founder and CEO. “We love online gameplay, but faced a challenge: ‘how do you create a great online experience on a device like the phone that is constantly being used for other functions?’ We needed to build an experience where players could come and go as they please yet have something meaningful to do when they played; the thought of having multiple games going at once was what convinced us this could work. With Multi Mode, we’ve given players what they want without compromising on the gameplay that made Ticket to Ride so popular to begin with.”

In addition to Multi Mode, Ticket to Ride Pocket allows players to play against nearby friends via an improved “Local Mode”. When connected via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, players can play against each other using any combination of iPhones, iPod Touch devices and even iPads to start spur of the moment games that bring the old school “family game night” into the digital age. And for those that prefer to play alone, 4 AI personalities, 20 unique achievements recognizing the players’ in-game accomplishments and 3 distinct leader boards all await dedicated Ticket to Ride solo players.

Still no update between iphone and ipad but it's a start.

I just got the update to TTR, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to start an asynchronous game.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
It just makes the dialogue bubbles display a whole line at a time I think.  Speeds it up a little.  But not a huge difference.  Just go to settings on your phone/ipad.

I need WAY more specific information, I know the Settings menu inside and out and have NEVER seen a text speed option in iOS... Thanks!
乱学者

Sho Nuff

Go to iPhone settings, on the left there's a bigass list of apps. Change the settings there. Yes, it is bizarre that this shit isn't controlled in app.

Sho Nuff

My god Ghost Trick is so plodding. This is the third time I'm trying to sit down and play it and it's just soooo slow it's reminding me that if I want a good story I should finish the last 200 pages of the new Neal Stephenson novel

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
oh, the GHOST TRICK settings under iOS settings. I thought Bebpo was talking about some universal "text speed" option :P
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
I'm enjoying Ghost Trick, but yeah, it takes like 25 minutes to teach you how to play the game, and it says everything 3 times... fml
乱学者

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
It's a neat concept for a game, but if you look past that and the decent art the execution is BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
o_0

Stoney Mason

Seems fine to me. It's a graphic adventure game. In fact its more of a "game" than most other graphic adventure games. If you don't like that style you won't like this but it seems to do what it does well so far. Charming game.

Bebpo

I think it's a very charming and well made game.  I really do like it.

It's just kind of slow.  And I don't mean in story pacing.  I mean like literally, things move slowly and happen slowly and it's like a Nintendo game where it's at a speed so 5 year olds can follow easily but to the detriment of adults who like things to be quick and efficient.  It's why I lost patience and bailed on it when I first tried playing it on DS.  But as a phone game that I can bust out whenever I'm waiting somewhere it might work out better.  I'm almost back to where I was when I dropped the DS game (mid-chapter 3).

Bebpo

Also this game made me buy a soft-touch stylus since the fingerprinting all over my phone drives me nuts.  Was going to buy one anyhow to prevent the same thing on Vita when I get mine in a few weeks, so just jumped the gun a little early.  Curious to how these types of Stylus feel.