Author Topic: Mobile Gaming [Android/iOS] Thread  (Read 436361 times)

Himu

Re: The Official Bore iOS (sometimes Android) Thread of Pretend Gaming
« Reply #2520 on: June 07, 2014, 07:17:11 PM »
Someone get dcharlie to get the up version and give impressions
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2521 on: June 07, 2014, 07:33:56 PM »
Rayman Fiesta Run has REALLY floaty jumps. Is it just me? I swear its not me.
fat

Tasty

« Reply #2522 on: June 07, 2014, 07:50:01 PM »
Can't see DC dropping 1600 yen for an old version of MH he already owns just to give you guys impressions.  His crew definitely won't be playing it with him and his mobile tastes are more towards quick time wasters. 

TouchArcade forums have a thread with lots of impressions if you want to read some.

DC is the only one I trust with MH impressions, honestly, haha.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #2523 on: June 07, 2014, 07:59:55 PM »
If I have to choose between sucking Oscar's dick or getting fucked in the ass by him, I'll choose sucking his dick every time.

(Metaphorically speaking.)

That's pretty gay dude. I would take the dick in the ass like a man and pretend I'm getting fucked by a chick with a strap on :yeshrug
Drunk

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #2524 on: June 07, 2014, 08:10:47 PM »
I'm likely to end up writing the review for it, and my review is probably going to be something like "how do I hunted monster".

if it's anything like MH3, i'd suggest you to try all the weapons and then stick with the spear
<----

Tasty

« Reply #2525 on: June 07, 2014, 08:19:39 PM »
I'm likely to end up writing the review for it, and my review is probably going to be something like "how do I hunted monster".

:snoop

if it's anything like MH3, i'd suggest you to try all the weapons and then stick with the spear

It's pre-Tri, so gen 2. A full two gens behind by now. :-\

Himu

« Reply #2526 on: June 07, 2014, 08:20:10 PM »
Don't listen to Magus. Try out all the weapons and go with what you like and if the situation calls for other weapons use those too.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #2527 on: June 07, 2014, 08:20:57 PM »
Wait, the spear? The fuck? :what

Tasty

« Reply #2528 on: June 07, 2014, 08:33:19 PM »
Fucking mobile game reviewers :snoop

Himu

« Reply #2529 on: June 07, 2014, 08:34:41 PM »
I've tried two MH games before but couldn't get into them.  I think I used the spear in my Tri attempt.

Sad I am the best guy for the job at the site.

Try long sword. It is a fast and agile class.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #2530 on: June 07, 2014, 08:38:06 PM »
I had fun with the Long Sword in Tri, not a bad beginner weapon if you don't go online. Not very interruptable usually.

Does Freedom Unite have Dual Blades? Those are probably best for beginner because they're so fast. They kinda do crap damage and hitstun though.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #2531 on: June 07, 2014, 08:38:39 PM »
:comeon

you two are like oliver and hardy if instead of being funny, they were just annoying

i'm suggesting the spear because it's a good novice weapon since it can block 90% of the attack in the game therefore sparing you from learning how to dodge AND it can deal a decent amount of damage,the only real downside is that it slow down your movement but that can be solved since it let you dash... by comparison sword & shield let you block but it deal shitty damage and i've never EVER seen someone using it online outside of a very specific amount of occurrence, the giant sword also let you block,but some attack you would be able to block with spear will go through when trying to block with the giant sword and the weapon is mostly based around charging attack and standing still like an idiot making it very risky to use especialy if you are playing solo (like i assume oscar is going to do in his review) the hammer is the other noob weapon and like the giant sword you have to charge it but unlike the giant sword you can charge and move, once again the problem is that with the hammer you'll need to learn to dodge since you can't block, the bowgun is support material and also not really solo material... i'm not sure if longsword are in this MH game but if they are, they are sort of gimmick weapon and also won't let you block
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 08:42:23 PM by magus »
<----

Tasty

« Reply #2532 on: June 07, 2014, 08:39:32 PM »
"Gimmick weapon" that can do the most DPS, sure...

Himu

« Reply #2533 on: June 07, 2014, 08:39:45 PM »
:beli
IYKYK

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #2534 on: June 07, 2014, 09:12:33 PM »
"Gimmick weapon" that can do the most DPS, sure...

if you are fighting an immobile mannequin so you can pull off your 5 minute combo sure...

beside i'm not suggesting him the most damaging weapon, i'm suggesting him the weapon that i think someone who never played a MH game would find the easiest to use
<----

Himu

« Reply #2535 on: June 07, 2014, 09:28:40 PM »
IMO that's long sword. High reach, good combo potential, fun move set.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #2536 on: June 07, 2014, 09:38:15 PM »

For Tri, I agree. Not having to worry as much about a monster breaking your combo is a big deal to newcomers.

Himu

« Reply #2537 on: June 07, 2014, 09:43:40 PM »
Well I've only played 3 Ultimate.

Anyways, Touch Arcade forums has me even more ectastic. Reports are that touch controls are fantastic and "smooth as butter." these are reportedly MH vets saying this as well. No word if this is on iPhone or iPad but people are saying their hands aren't cramping or anything and that the game pushes mobile gaming to the next level.

:larry

I hope Capcom puts MH4 on ios as well so I don't have to whip out my 3ds when it comes out.
IYKYK

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #2538 on: June 07, 2014, 09:44:47 PM »

that's true and all but the longsword attacks last forever, i've lost count of how many times i got hit while the attack animation was going on and on and on, it's like the weapon equivalent of killer instinct...

and once you get hit the longsword goes flaccid and you have to rub it back to erect once again if you want to have your damage cake back, that's why i don't think it's a weapon suitable for beginners

<----

Tasty

« Reply #2539 on: June 07, 2014, 09:45:16 PM »
I'm sure MH4 will hit iOS... in 2020.

Tasty

« Reply #2540 on: June 07, 2014, 10:55:31 PM »
Actually, given how well this did in Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the revival of the "Monster Hunter Portable" name.  Do 3rd next, or a 3rd G, then bam, MHP 4th.

...in 2016

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2541 on: June 08, 2014, 12:55:25 AM »
If I have to choose between sucking Oscar's dick or getting fucked in the ass by him, I'll choose sucking his dick every time.

(Metaphorically speaking.)

That's pretty gay dude. I would take the dick in the ass like a man and pretend I'm getting fucked by a chick with a strap on :yeshrug
:larry

:comeon

you two are like oliver and hardy if instead of being funny, they were just annoying
So that'd make you... exactly like Yakov Smirnov, but Italian?

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #2542 on: June 08, 2014, 01:26:36 PM »
i'd be offended if it wasn't for the fact that i have absolutely no idea of who is yakov smirnov
<----

Himu

« Reply #2543 on: June 08, 2014, 07:14:22 PM »
World 3 of Bubble Witch Saga 2.  :o
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2544 on: June 08, 2014, 11:12:00 PM »
I used up my gold on lives like a chump so now I'll be waiting for days to play more levels :lol

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #2545 on: June 09, 2014, 12:36:05 AM »

I'm on level 53 or so which is 10 tiers of animal-saving bullshit ...

I know these levels are designed to be pay-to-win but HOLY CHRIST the randomization of bubbles x hidden bubbles = how the fuck are you supposed to do this in the set number of moves*

*you're not, you're supposed to pay
乱学者

Himu

« Reply #2546 on: June 09, 2014, 12:39:18 AM »
the animal levels get crazier and crazier!

And by crazy I mean worse!
IYKYK

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #2547 on: June 09, 2014, 05:18:09 PM »

I'm on level 53 or so which is 10 tiers of animal-saving bullshit ...

I know these levels are designed to be pay-to-win but HOLY CHRIST the randomization of bubbles x hidden bubbles = how the fuck are you supposed to do this in the set number of moves*

*you're not, you're supposed to pay

yeah i was stuck on that for a bit.  in addition to getting a lucky assortment of bubbles, what helped me was trying to take out the area behind the animals so that I could lob a shot up to the next tier and try to take out a couple in one go.  but it only works if the bubbles are set up that way.

I've gotten ONE shot away twice, but I absolutely refuse to give King any money, so.
乱学者

Himu

« Reply #2548 on: June 09, 2014, 05:23:30 PM »
I'm tempted to buy gold bars to continue to the next episode.
IYKYK

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #2549 on: June 09, 2014, 05:27:30 PM »
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one addicted to king.com trash.
serge

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2550 on: June 09, 2014, 07:32:57 PM »
I'm not even willing to add to King's active user count, at this point. They've shat the PR bed, as far as I'm concerned.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #2551 on: June 09, 2014, 10:58:06 PM »
I'm not even willing to add to King's active user count, at this point. They've shat the PR bed, as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, I'm the same. No interest in playing yet another derivative mobile game from those guys. Even if it's incredibly well polished.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #2552 on: June 09, 2014, 11:47:02 PM »
I've been playing Dragon Coins for three weeks now and just realized that you don't have to level up your monsters to max to evolve them. They can be evolved at any time.

so much gold/exp wasted .. lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2553 on: June 10, 2014, 01:10:45 AM »
Not that they're not shitheads for starting the whole legal crap, but in the interests of fairness, it should be known they amicably resolved all of the weird edge cases and all of them can still use their names.  Even that Candy Smasher guy.
You mean the Candy Smasher guy who made the match-three candy-themed game before King.com did, and against whom they bought an even earlier version of someone else's game, just to position themselves for a better angle against which to legally stab at him?

They're dicks. They're approaching Tim Langdell levels of legal abuse, and I don't like them.

Thanks for the information, though. That's good to know.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2554 on: June 10, 2014, 01:35:20 AM »
Sure. But I think King.com wasn't being nice and communicating with those other guys because they are nice; they jumped with both feet into a giant pile of PR crap, and had to back peddle. If they really wanted to have a calm discussion with people about their IP and protecting it, it wouldn't have started with a legal volley.

Himu

« Reply #2555 on: June 10, 2014, 02:39:43 AM »
Tengai would be rad but the IAP is abysmal. To continue you need 3k coins. Sky Force is not only better designed but also a much better f2p.

Everyone GET Sky Force while you wait for your bubble witch saga 2 to let you continue to the next episode.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2556 on: June 10, 2014, 02:55:34 AM »
Phoenix HD is another good route if you don't want to pay for a better shmup.

There are a lot of good 2d shooters available but I'm just checking out the What's New tab for now especially since I'm still busy with other titles.

That one is a good one.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2557 on: June 10, 2014, 03:00:02 AM »
Why do I keep getting errors in Game Center? Haven't been able to log in on paint it back in a week.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2558 on: June 10, 2014, 03:05:53 AM »
Yup
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2559 on: June 10, 2014, 03:07:59 AM »
Himu, get Football Manager or Top Eleven.

Top Eleven is F2P but it's not too bad as long as you accept everything will take ages and you save up tokens and commit to bidding was for specific players.

Football Manager is pretty hardcore though but no F2P.

Himu

« Reply #2560 on: June 10, 2014, 03:09:07 AM »
Football Manager or bust. Are the mobile versions as good as the desktop version?
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2561 on: June 10, 2014, 03:17:20 AM »
Top Eleven isn't busted F2P.

Football Manager is toned down from the PC version, but I never played it on PC.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #2562 on: June 10, 2014, 09:30:40 AM »
Did they have to backpedal, though?  Yeah, they got a lot of bad PR from enthusiast gaming media, but enthusiast gamers make up what, about 0.05% of their customer base?

I mean, EA won worst company in America three years in a row and it doesn't seem to have hurt them any.

Did they have to backpedal for their customers? Nope, like you said a majority of them don't even know this is a thing and probably don't give a shit (also enthusiast gamers opinions are irrelevant). They had to backpedal because of the enormous hatred the development community, especially in San Francisco, was starting to heap on them. It hit a fever pitch in early 2014 and at GDC where the inclusion of King.com lanyards basically made it a hot topic at a lot of different gatherings since everyone had them and it was "cool" to hate King.com.

When you start to build up that kind of rapid escalation of distrust and dislike you start finding it difficult to smoothly engage in business and attract star talent. More importantly however King.com was about to complete their IPO in March so it was imperative to make sure they kept the negativity at bay. Like with anything in this industry, the root cause is always money.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2563 on: June 10, 2014, 04:58:11 PM »
Agito iOS trailer (with a certain special screen at the end)

http://na.square-enix.com/us/blog/final-fantasy-agito-announced
fat

Himu

« Reply #2564 on: June 10, 2014, 05:04:57 PM »
I swear, S-E, if you go through all of E3 without mentioning Dragon Quest and instead just announce localization of MORE **** Final Fantasy games... prepare to lose a customer.
IYKYK

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #2565 on: June 10, 2014, 05:09:29 PM »
I swear, S-E, if you go through all of E3 without mentioning Dragon Quest and instead just announce localization of MORE **** Final Fantasy games... prepare to lose a customer.

himumu doing the himumu dance :neogaf

I've been playing Dragon Coins for three weeks now and just realized that you don't have to level up your monsters to max to evolve them. They can be evolved at any time.

so much gold/exp wasted .. lol

you actualy need to bring them to level 20 to evolve them, honestly i'm starting to get bored, the normal missions barely have any varieties and sega has been doing an awfull job introducing timed content, not to mention they introduce at least 2 new bugs into the game every week

<----

Himu

« Reply #2566 on: June 10, 2014, 05:20:11 PM »
I pasted that from the link Demi posted. I never censor my words and like all the ff games they've announced so far.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 05:27:34 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #2567 on: June 10, 2014, 05:32:52 PM »
I pasted that from the link Demi posted. I never censor my words and like all the ff games they've announced so far.

oh...

well... this is awkward :leon
<----

Himu

« Reply #2568 on: June 10, 2014, 07:18:01 PM »
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2569 on: June 10, 2014, 10:59:22 PM »
Did they have to backpedal, though?  Yeah, they got a lot of bad PR from enthusiast gaming media, but enthusiast gamers make up what, about 0.05% of their customer base?

I mean, EA won worst company in America three years in a row and it doesn't seem to have hurt them any.

Did they have to backpedal for their customers? Nope, like you said a majority of them don't even know this is a thing and probably don't give a shit (also enthusiast gamers opinions are irrelevant). They had to backpedal because of the enormous hatred the development community, especially in San Francisco, was starting to heap on them. It hit a fever pitch in early 2014 and at GDC where the inclusion of King.com lanyards basically made it a hot topic at a lot of different gatherings since everyone had them and it was "cool" to hate King.com.

When you start to build up that kind of rapid escalation of distrust and dislike you start finding it difficult to smoothly engage in business and attract star talent. More importantly however King.com was about to complete their IPO in March so it was imperative to make sure they kept the negativity at bay. Like with anything in this industry, the root cause is always money.

Yeah, I dunno. I mean, for a long time Microsoft had an extremely low trust rating and was in court regularly over shady business practices, but it didn't stop them from attracting talent. I know they're in a near-monopoly position, and that's going to change the dynamic of course...

Another example is Oscar's own: EA. Did EA change their stance on working conditions? Sure, and I think it had to, to attract talented people. Making a bundle's no good if you never get to go home and spend it. But as for the "worst company award," and winning it over Bank of America or Exxon or British Petroleum... has it affected them? It doesn't seem like it, though it gets more news coverage than King.com's "saga" horse-shittery.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #2570 on: June 11, 2014, 03:03:54 PM »
you actualy need to bring them to level 20 to evolve them, honestly i'm starting to get bored, the normal missions barely have any varieties and sega has been doing an awfull job introducing timed content, not to mention they introduce at least 2 new bugs into the game every week

Well, that's a bit more reassuring. Thanks.

I'm not bored with the game, but I only play about 20 minutes a day.

Himu

« Reply #2571 on: June 11, 2014, 05:39:03 PM »
Fuck the black holes holy shit
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2572 on: June 11, 2014, 11:27:46 PM »
New titles this week:

http://toucharcade.com/2014/06/11/new-iphone-games-out-right-now/

My pick ups:

VVVVVV
Fluid SE
Invisible Apartment
Jacob Jones
Super Gravitron

Need impressions on:

Jupiter Jump
Pigs Can't Fly
Polygon Evolution
(R)evolve
Twisty Planets

Edit: invisible apartment is not on the store yet. Shame because it's what I wanted to play after I finish my art tonight. Oh, it's only on ipad. Dammit!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:29:50 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2573 on: June 12, 2014, 05:42:19 PM »
New Angry Birds RPG is out

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #2574 on: June 12, 2014, 07:45:17 PM »

i played it for a bit, combat is turn based with no string attached, there is no exploration at all it's just non-stop battles, each bird represent a series of classes so for example the red bird is ALL the warrior jobs, the yellow bird is ALL the wizard jobs and so on... each class has an attack and a buff so for example the red bird get to punch enemies in the face (which also attract their aggro) and cast on barrier but he also has a class that trade the attract aggro attack for an attack debuff, while the yellow bird get AoE attack (or alternatively he can trade that for attack that remove buff from the enemies) as you trade blow you charge an hot pepper that when it's full you can feed to any bird for a special attack which varies depending on the bird

after battle you get ranked depending on how much damage you have taken (and something else, i have no idea... damage inflicted? number of turn taken?) and get rewarded with loot, you can use the loot to craft heal potion or new equipment for the birds

so far it's kind of eh... it's nice playing a cartoony rpg but at the same time it has felt very simple and while i appreciate the fact that i have been able to proceed without being stopped by any artificial barrier or heck even a stamina bar, the game will occasionaly remind you that it's a mobile F2P game by asking you to link yourself to everything and pointing out how cool IAP are (mostly notable example was when the game suddenly decided it would make the battle easier if i watched an ads... which was for another angry bird game)

as far as currency goes, there are 2, the real money currency is used to buy the sort of "I WANNA DESTROY THE GAME RIGHT NOW!" consumables (including an item that auto-win the battle for you) while the other currency is used to buy new jobs and recipe for item to craft... the problem is while so far i had all the money required to buy everything, i have no idea how i'm supposed to get more because monster don't drop it! i think it might be handled to you as a daily reward but i'm not 100% sure

<----

Himu

« Reply #2575 on: June 16, 2014, 02:46:18 AM »
Trying to enjoy final fantasy dimensions. It's hard for me too because it has Final Fantasy in the title but it feels and looks like a fan made game. I just can't take it seriously. I know that's shallow, but it looks like total shit and I canNOT get over it.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2576 on: June 16, 2014, 02:48:53 AM »
The main characters are even named Sol, Glaive, and Diana.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 02:51:00 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2577 on: June 16, 2014, 06:12:04 AM »

i played it for a bit, combat is turn based with no string attached, there is no exploration at all it's just non-stop battles, each bird represent a series of classes so for example the red bird is ALL the warrior jobs, the yellow bird is ALL the wizard jobs and so on... each class has an attack and a buff so for example the red bird get to punch enemies in the face (which also attract their aggro) and cast on barrier but he also has a class that trade the attract aggro attack for an attack debuff, while the yellow bird get AoE attack (or alternatively he can trade that for attack that remove buff from the enemies) as you trade blow you charge an hot pepper that when it's full you can feed to any bird for a special attack which varies depending on the bird

after battle you get ranked depending on how much damage you have taken (and something else, i have no idea... damage inflicted? number of turn taken?) and get rewarded with loot, you can use the loot to craft heal potion or new equipment for the birds

so far it's kind of eh... it's nice playing a cartoony rpg but at the same time it has felt very simple and while i appreciate the fact that i have been able to proceed without being stopped by any artificial barrier or heck even a stamina bar, the game will occasionaly remind you that it's a mobile F2P game by asking you to link yourself to everything and pointing out how cool IAP are (mostly notable example was when the game suddenly decided it would make the battle easier if i watched an ads... which was for another angry bird game)

as far as currency goes, there are 2, the real money currency is used to buy the sort of "I WANNA DESTROY THE GAME RIGHT NOW!" consumables (including an item that auto-win the battle for you) while the other currency is used to buy new jobs and recipe for item to craft... the problem is while so far i had all the money required to buy everything, i have no idea how i'm supposed to get more because monster don't drop it! i think it might be handled to you as a daily reward but i'm not 100% sure

Good write up

It looks nice and the production values are good, but it feels kind of boring and cheap

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #2578 on: June 16, 2014, 07:44:34 AM »
Trying to enjoy final fantasy dimensions. It's hard for me too because it has Final Fantasy in the title but it feels and looks like a fan made game. I just can't take it seriously. I know that's shallow, but it looks like total shit and I canNOT get over it.

>:( squeenix shoulda just told everyone this was some secret ff that never got released, or a scrapped version of another snes ff. no one would known the difference cuz it plays EXACTLY LIKE those games. come on now
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2579 on: June 16, 2014, 07:57:30 AM »
Dimensions is pretty sweet. Himu's pretty shallow.
fat