Author Topic: Official Thread of Flogging the Log: A Place for Better Random Talk  (Read 554831 times)

FatalT

Re: Official Thread of Flogging the Log: A Place for Better Random Talk
« Reply #300 on: November 18, 2009, 05:39:46 PM »
WANT YOUR BAD ROMANCE! I WANT YOUR LOVE AND I WANT YOUR REVENGE, YOU AND ME COULD WRITE A BAD ROMAAANCE! I WANT YOUR LOVE AND ALL YOUR LOVER'S REVENGE, YOU AND ME COULD WRITE A BAAAAAD ROMAAANNNNCE!

[youtube=560,345]SJQ5uWUVx0c[/youtube]

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
« Reply #301 on: November 18, 2009, 05:44:23 PM »
[youtube=560,345]U7mPqycQ0tQ[/youtube]
Don't worry I still listen to this thanks to Cloud. As one of the comments says it's like crack or heroin or something.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #302 on: November 18, 2009, 05:54:23 PM »
Only two weeks here too!  w00t

Today I learnt how to do double integration. 

Shit like this

(Image removed from quote.)

Wait until you do triple integration with polar and spherical coordinates :hyper
🍆🍆

FatalT

« Reply #303 on: November 18, 2009, 05:55:34 PM »
Don't worry I still listen to this thanks to Cloud. As one of the comments says it's like crack or heroin or something.

I'm cumming buckets.

Fresh Prince

« Reply #304 on: November 18, 2009, 06:02:37 PM »
Yes Father Mike thinking he's hardcore doing double integration  ::)

Come back when you do Fourier Transforms young'n.

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #305 on: November 18, 2009, 06:22:08 PM »
What do you guys do with maths like that?  Are you (or are you planning to be) mathematicians or scientists or similar?

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #306 on: November 18, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
To LJ a bit:

I have some new neighbors.  I've never met them but I've sure smelled them  :-X  I don't think they take out their trash.  It smells extremely bad over there.  I know they take out the trash because they dropped a coffee filter, complete with grounds, in the middle of the hallway.  Although two days later, they (or someone else) took the initiative in removing the filter but the grounds remain...well, on the ground.  The best way to describe the smell is rotting meat.

Not only that but they spend the entire day in the laundry room.  I know I'd like to spend my Saturdays lounging around in the laundry room!  It's a small family and the mother was screaming at the child in there.  I thought it was fucking hilarious but they spent all damn day in that one room.  It takes just an hour and 15 minutes to wash and dry.

As long as the smell doesn't waft into my apartment, I don't have a problem with it but when it does, I'm going to snitch on their asses.

:nsfw
:nsfw
🍆🍆

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #307 on: November 18, 2009, 06:39:47 PM »
I had neighbors like that about six months ago. The landlord came to find (once evicted due to being behind 3 Months rent) that they kept all their trash (in trash bags) in the small two bedroom 3rd floor apartment. I wish I took a picture of the trash heap in the backyard (once they cleared out the apartment) but the amount out there would have completely filled a mid sized room.

They kept them all in black garbage bags. I wondered if they just didn't want to pay for the city mandatory yellow bags (around $11 a pack). That's pretty stingy.
:9

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #308 on: November 18, 2009, 06:47:19 PM »
Only two weeks here too!  w00t

Today I learnt how to do double integration. 

Shit like this

(Image removed from quote.)

Wait until you do triple integration with polar and spherical coordinates :hyper

That sounds sexy.

Fresh Prince

« Reply #309 on: November 18, 2009, 07:01:14 PM »
What do you guys do with maths like that?  Are you (or are you planning to be) mathematicians or scientists or similar?
Engineering :punch

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #310 on: November 18, 2009, 07:43:51 PM »
They're in the laundry room again!  The mother is screaming at the child...again!

The fact that they spend all of their time doing laundry yet I can smell rotting meat outside of their apartment...the mind boggles.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #311 on: November 18, 2009, 07:49:36 PM »
Foreigners?

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #312 on: November 18, 2009, 07:58:25 PM »
Engineering :punch

Oh great, an engineer. ::)

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:-*
[close]

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #313 on: November 18, 2009, 08:22:39 PM »
🍆🍆

Fresh Prince

« Reply #314 on: November 18, 2009, 08:56:31 PM »
Oh great, an engineer. ::)

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:-*
[close]
:hump

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #315 on: November 18, 2009, 09:28:31 PM »
They're in the laundry room again!  The mother is screaming at the child...again!

The fact that they spend all of their time doing laundry yet I can smell rotting meat outside of their apartment...the mind boggles.

I bet they're serial killers. The smell is from all the corpses, plus they're always washing the blood out of their clothes. That's why they're always doing laundry.
WDW

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #316 on: November 18, 2009, 11:10:41 PM »
Serious questions: Does your friend have an actually useful college degree?  And are you qualified to do what he did?

Fresh Prince

« Reply #317 on: November 18, 2009, 11:42:50 PM »
One of my college friends, who is the second highest-paid recent-grad that I know (excluding the accountants and engineers, who had terrible college experiences and now have shitty lives, so their salaries don't count), is leaving his job to go pursue another opportunity that's a lot closer to what he wants to do for a long-term career.
Terrible college experiences is true. Shitty lives not so much at least mine.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #318 on: November 18, 2009, 11:59:51 PM »
I got a conviction. :smug

No need to manabyte the dust tonight.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #319 on: November 19, 2009, 12:06:01 AM »
staycation may be coming to an end  :'( :'(

put my resume somewhere it didn't belong at all and have had three interviews in a week.  :'( :'(

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #320 on: November 19, 2009, 12:08:23 AM »
I got a conviction. :smug

No need to manabyte the dust tonight.

:bow
AMC

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #321 on: November 19, 2009, 12:09:55 AM »
excluding the accountants and engineers, who had terrible college experiences and now have shitty lives, so their salaries don't count

In fairness, it's nothing to do with their chosen careers.  Your friends just suck at school and went on to suck at life.

Fresh Prince

« Reply #322 on: November 19, 2009, 12:12:09 AM »
Oh no usually engineering means little social life especially if you care about grades etc.

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #323 on: November 19, 2009, 12:14:29 AM »
On the way home from church tonight, I spotted two deer off to the side of the road and wouldn't you know both of them decided to run across it as I was approaching. They darted across the road and I just knew I was going to slam into one or both of them. The road was wet, I jammed on the brakes but it was basically useless as I just slid right towards where their direction was going to take them. But somehow, by the grace of God, I missed them both. I kid you not, there couldn't have been more than a car's width between the two of them as they crossed the road, but somehow my trusty Mazda Tribute half-slid, half-drove through the middle of them.

I'm telling you, Bambi and his friend nearly bit it, and I about had a new car.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 12:16:55 AM by Bocsius »

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #324 on: November 19, 2009, 12:23:56 AM »
Oh, sorry dude.

I'm surprised how much some people will trade their life away for money.  Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #325 on: November 19, 2009, 12:24:52 AM »
One week of 16 hour workdays with the promise of several more to follow and I would be finding a new career. Screw that.

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #326 on: November 19, 2009, 12:46:20 AM »
I dunno, I've never done a 60 hour week in ten years of being an accountant.  I'm in the middle of a busy period and still only work 7am to 6pm at most with a 1.5 hour lunch.

It really depends on what area of the profession you are in, what kind of person you are and who you work for.  I'd say it's the same for most jobs.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #327 on: November 19, 2009, 01:47:16 AM »
Why aren't any of these posts about my triumphant courtroom victory?

I took a violent cop off the streets, damn it!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #328 on: November 19, 2009, 01:56:24 AM »
And you didn't even kill yourself in the process! 

lennedsay

• Senior MILF
« Reply #329 on: November 19, 2009, 02:40:03 AM »
It's just understood when you go into accounting that you will work 60-80 hour work weeks during tax season. That's part of why the pay is so comparatively high.

Tax accountants only make up a portion of all accountants, so no, it's not understood that you'll work 60-80 hrs/wk during tax season. Most accountants only realize it's tax season because they get their W-2s and need to file their own returns.

As a tax accountant, I work 75 hours/wk minimum, 7 days a week, right before and during tax season, but really that's only because I'm a manager. I like it, and I'm kind of a workaholic so it fits. Years of full time school and two jobs have my body used to leaving the house at 8am and not getting home until after midnight, so working 9-9 isn't bad. Plus I'm bouncing around offices, so I'm not just stuck in one desk with a cube full of paperwork with no one to talk to. I go to an office, train/talk to employees, talk to clients, answer tax questions, make sure everything runs smoothly, then go to another office. From April until October, I only work 30 hours a week, and even when I'm there, it's totally laid back.  8)
(|)

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #330 on: November 19, 2009, 02:40:44 AM »
Hmm, what branch of accounting are you in? And what location? It's possible that these guys are exaggerating the tax-season hours, but most of them made it seem like life from January to May was absolute hell.

I don't think they're necessarily exaggerating, it's just different depending on what you're doing.  I'm in public accounting, do accounts and tax returns for small businesses, and we're basically at the same volume of work all year.  In Australia if a firm only did individual tax returns for example they would be much more busy in July to December than January to June though.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #331 on: November 19, 2009, 02:48:22 AM »
Why aren't any of these posts about my triumphant courtroom victory?

I took a violent cop off the streets, damn it!

I can't speak for everyone (although I'm sure they were thinking the same thinkg), but I figured you'd return with brief comment about your failure after which we'd all ask for an explanation. Thus setting off a mixture of joke posts, sympathy, and references to your past failures.

The possibility of your succeeding never crossed my mind, and right now I'm still processing the news.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #332 on: November 19, 2009, 04:06:30 AM »
One of my college friends, who is the second highest-paid recent-grad that I know (excluding the accountants and engineers, who had terrible college experiences and now have shitty lives, so their salaries don't count), is leaving his job to go pursue another opportunity that's a lot closer to what he wants to do for a long-term career. He wants to recommend me to replace him. I was pretty excited about it, because the job comes with a pretty good title and he was making $54k a year with full benefits. He told me I probably wouldn't start that high, since he had been there over a year, but I would still be making good money if I got the job.

Today he shot me an email. They want to hire his replacement on at $35k a year without benefits. Now I know that he had a year of experience to get to that salary, but he started at $44k. So if I get this job, not only would I be making nearly $20k a year less than my friend was making to do the same job, I'd be making almost $10k less than he started at a year ago, and I wouldn't get health insurance to boot.

Economic recession  :piss2

Companies that use the recession as an excuse to fuck over low to mid level employees :piss2

I'll still take it if I can get it, because it's a business analyst position, which looks a lot better on a resume than "customer support representative," which is the other job I've been offered, both of which look better than a second year of teaching English abroad.

You can either hold out for more now if the job looks like you've got a lock on it, or you can take the current offer and then bail in a year with that applicable experience under your belt. When you find your initial alternate choices, let them know that you'll be moving on due to finding a job with such-and-such salary and benefits. They may counteroffer.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #333 on: November 19, 2009, 07:31:55 AM »
As an engineer, we generally think LAS majors are only meant if you're for sure going to pursue a masters, a doctorate, or a professional school (like law school).  Otherwise, it is like another four years of high school.  I'm not bragging but whenever I had to take an LAS class, I'd show up to class half the time (unless there was an attendance policy, in which case, I'd go in the back corner and read the New York Times) and only do work the night before or day it was due.  I'd always get an A because I knew what the teacher wanted.  If it was a commie pinko teacher, I'd just knock out a five page ramble about how white male theists ruined society.  My European politics teacher was an EU policy wonk - I focused on that.  It seemed like LAS teachers were always about doing what they wanted to hear.

Engineering wasn't bad unless you wanted a 4.0.  Still, there were a lot of painful moments and times where I had to spend 5-6 hours a day doing homework while my accounting roommates put in one, maybe two hours.  Those times sucked.  I made it a bit easier by extending my graduation by a semester.  Taking 14-15 credits instead of 17-18 was a life saver - especially those high level weedout courses where the professor only cared about assigning the most extremely difficult questions and ignoring the simple concept questions so we could get some kind of understanding as to how these concepts work.  I'm glad my job involves almost none of this - I'm virtually an accountant at this point - tracking expenses down to the gnat's ass and getting bitchy about spending money we don't need to in order to secure a bonus, which I will be getting next month.

If I could do it all over again, I'd try to get into financial engineering, writing algorithms for wall street trading.
🍆🍆

Bacchus7

« Reply #334 on: November 19, 2009, 07:47:07 AM »
My Dad's a C.P.A., and Jan.-April 15th he works at least 90 hours a week, but then the rest of the year is easy for him.
DTF

Bebpo

« Reply #335 on: November 19, 2009, 01:08:57 PM »
I have the first day off in a while.  Don't need to work on anything.  No classes.

So now it's 10am and I have no idea what to do with myself.  Too early to waste the day gaming or watch a movie. 

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #336 on: November 19, 2009, 01:11:15 PM »
If I could do it all over again, I'd try to get into financial engineering, writing algorithms for wall street trading.

Yeah, I hear that's the hot thing now.
AMC

« Reply #337 on: November 19, 2009, 01:49:40 PM »
I have the first day off in a while.  Don't need to work on anything.  No classes.

So now it's 10am and I have no idea what to do with myself.  Too early to waste the day gaming or watch a movie. 

Having summers off is lot like that, and then having a wife who works all summer makes it even more interesting.

"Do I acknowledge the fact that it's 6am and she's getting up for work, or do I act like I'm still asleep?"

"Do I tell her that I've sat around and surfed the web and played videogames? Oh crap she'll be home in an hour I better take a shower!"
野球

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #338 on: November 19, 2009, 04:33:28 PM »
Shit, that's...deep. :(
AMC

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #339 on: November 19, 2009, 04:38:02 PM »
 :'(

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #340 on: November 19, 2009, 04:38:06 PM »
damn man, she musta been the one  :'(

Any chance of getting back with her, or at least becoming friends?

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #341 on: November 19, 2009, 04:51:27 PM »
Wow mojo, that sounds like a pretty shitty situation to be in... especially if you are the type who has a nice new girl (I say give her more of a chance, since she sounds like quite the catch) and doesn't have problems meeting girls. What happened between you and your ex that caused the breakup, BTW? (if you don't mind sharing...)
^_^

Fresh Prince

« Reply #342 on: November 19, 2009, 05:08:25 PM »
Well I sort of feel like an arsehole now.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #343 on: November 19, 2009, 05:10:44 PM »
i think he's admitting to being The Other Guy

Fresh Prince

« Reply #344 on: November 19, 2009, 05:14:44 PM »
I think I was going to post something (before your 'confession') crushingly accurate but didn't.

Fresh Prince

« Reply #345 on: November 19, 2009, 05:16:52 PM »
I got Yixian pissed off good and proper.

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #346 on: November 19, 2009, 05:21:15 PM »
I'm drunk as fuck in a bar right now, just saying.
brb

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #347 on: November 19, 2009, 05:33:23 PM »
Two weeks off baby woooo!
brb

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #348 on: November 19, 2009, 05:59:10 PM »
Fuck you Rebiak!  Fuck you and your damn holiday you bastard!

Sorry boo.  I hope you enjoy your holiday.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #349 on: November 19, 2009, 06:23:29 PM »
feel about 2 steps away from a nervous breakdown.  i think i'll check myself in somewhere after the semester's over.  this shit fucking sucks.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #350 on: November 19, 2009, 06:24:55 PM »
So this is what law school does to people.

Jesus Christ. :-\

You'll make it, dude.
AMC

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #351 on: November 19, 2009, 06:26:10 PM »
:(

Come and stay with me for a holiday Kranz. While I'm at work you can rifle through my underwear drawer.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #352 on: November 19, 2009, 06:39:39 PM »
Well, sorry for school rants, I know we have a lot of those here....just hoping this will get some things off my chest.

I just had the worst fucking day and I'm freezing up badly. I was freaking out last night as I realized I know nothing about anything, despite working hard as hell this semester. slept about 3 hours. I made it to my first class and had no fucking clue what was going on.  The prof may as well have been speaking in swahili (it was a lecture on burden/benefit under horizontal privity/ vertical privity etc.)  My next class is about 2 hours after and it was the longest two hour break of my life.  I was just walking all around school, smoked about half a pack of cigarettes, wanted to cry/throw-up the whole time, my legs were quivering. I couldn't focus on studying or writing and just wanted to go home so badly.  The people I've met here are of no help really, but I can't blame them because it's a sensitive time for everyone. No one needs to see another person completely fucking lose it on them.  But I did make it to my class and here I sit...

I think I'll snap out of it when I go home on Wednesday morning and see my family.  The problem is, finals are in three weeks, so every day counts. There's nothing I'd like to do more right now than to do absolutely nothing.  Yet, I've got arguably more work ahead of me in the next 3 weeks than I've had to do all semester.  god fucking dammit...

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #353 on: November 19, 2009, 06:59:59 PM »
The problem is, finals are in three weeks, so every day counts. There's nothing I'd like to do more right now than to do absolutely nothing.  Yet, I've got arguably more work ahead of me in the next 3 weeks than I've had to do all semester.  god fucking dammit...

I know how you feel.  I burnt out two weeks ago and have done nothing since and everything has piled up again. 

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #354 on: November 19, 2009, 07:02:48 PM »
You need to take a day off and relax.  Every day might count but it is better to get 15 good days of studying instead of 21 shitty days.
🍆🍆

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #355 on: November 19, 2009, 07:03:50 PM »
I'm very drunk and sleepy now.
Rape me bildi.
brb

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #356 on: November 19, 2009, 07:20:51 PM »
Poor Kranz Fafka.  :(

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #357 on: November 19, 2009, 07:25:32 PM »
Just found my new sig. 8)

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #358 on: November 19, 2009, 07:35:08 PM »

You bastard...you're supposed to come here and say something like "Don't worry my friend, the only thing you need to know to do well on your finals is ________."   and then I read it, realize how simple it all is, then have a montage where I put the secret to work and get straight As.

I need a montage  :'(

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #359 on: November 19, 2009, 08:09:35 PM »

You bastard...you're supposed to come here and say something like "Don't worry my friend, the only thing you need to know to do well on your finals is that you should never go to class and instead play Beatles Rock Band all day."   and then I read it, realize how simple it all is, then have a montage where I put the secret to work and get straight As.

I need a montage  :'(

hope that helps.