Author Topic: Meme Machine Memorial Thread of Things You Saw on Reddit  (Read 1780577 times)

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
Re: The Outside Link Thread (All Your GAF, OA, SA, YouTube, etc. Links Go In Her
« Reply #4080 on: February 22, 2010, 12:09:18 PM »
A Response By An Aspiring Screenwriter Whose Screenplay Was Turned Down Because It Was Exactly Like Robocop

by Michael Lacher

Dear Paramount Pictures,

Thank you for considering my screenplay. While I appreciate your comments, I feel I must clarify a few things in regards to similarities you feel my screenplay has with this Robocop movie you brought up repeatedly.

First, my screenplay, Cyber Policeman: Operation CrimeKill, is not just about some robot cop. It is about a cyborg policeman caught between gangs and corrupt corporations in a dystopian Detroit where criminals have overrun the city. It is a an epic tale about the war on crime, corporate control of America, and mankind's increasing reliance on technology.

Just because Cyber Policeman and Robocop are both set in a dystopian Detroit and involve robots, it does not mean they are the same movie. Plenty of movies have robots and dystopias in them. And many are set in Detroit. Dreamgirls was set in Detroit, but I doubt you would see similarities there even if it had a robot in it or was set near, during, or after an apocalypse.

You also pointed out that both my script and Robocop have a scene early on in a boardroom where a demonstration of another robot goes horribly awry. A lot of movies have a scene early on in a boardroom where a demonstration of another robot goes horribly awry. And in Cyborg Policeman: Operation CrimeKill, it is not just some scene that's just there for action (as I'm guessing it is in Robocop), it is there to set up the rivalry between two executives in this company.

You seem to think the way this rivalry pays off is also an instance of "careless plagiarism." I believe it to be clearly coincidental that in both movies a selfish executive programs a secret fourth directive in the crime-fighting robot to prevent it from harming him. I guarantee if you were to type "fourth directive" into an IMDB keyword search, you would get at least three hundred results.

The fact that in both movies the man who becomes the Cyborg Policeman/Robocop is shot to death in a steel mill is entirely irrelevant. In Rudy, Rudy's friend dies in a steel mill, but you don't seem to think that Cyborg Policeman: Operation CrimeKill is like Rudy (although the theme of the triumph of the human spirit certainly rings true in both).

I do admit it strange that all the characters in Cyborg Policeman and Robocop have extremely similar names. But I do not think that just because my protagonist is named "Alex K. Murphy" and Robocop's is named "Alex J. Murphy" is a sign of "unabashed, shameless copying." A lot of people have similar names. Case in point: there were three other "Michael's" in my fifth grade class.

I believe now you understand that your issues with my screenplay are simply trivial details. Cyborg Policeman: Operation CrimeKill is an exciting, well-crafted story encompassing jaw-dropping special effects and gripping human drama, not just an action movie about a robot cop.

I have attached another copy of my screenplay, as well as the treatment for my next project, Alien Disguise: Blue Creatures On A Fantastic World.

Sincerely,
William J. Federman

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2010/1/26lachler.html

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: The Outside Link Thread (All Your GAF, OA, SA, YouTube, etc. Links Go In Her
« Reply #4081 on: February 22, 2010, 12:13:50 PM »
A Response By An Aspiring Screenwriter Whose Screenplay Was Turned Down Because It Was Exactly Like Robocop

by Michael Lacher

Dear Paramount Pictures,

Thank you for considering my screenplay. While I appreciate your comments, I feel I must clarify a few things in regards to similarities you feel my screenplay has with this Robocop movie you brought up repeatedly.

First, my screenplay, Cyber Policeman: Operation CrimeKill, is not just about some robot cop. It is about a cyborg policeman caught between gangs and corrupt corporations in a dystopian Detroit where criminals have overrun the city. It is a an epic tale about the war on crime, corporate control of America, and mankind's increasing reliance on technology.

Just because Cyber Policeman and Robocop are both set in a dystopian Detroit and involve robots, it does not mean they are the same movie. Plenty of movies have robots and dystopias in them. And many are set in Detroit. Dreamgirls was set in Detroit, but I doubt you would see similarities there even if it had a robot in it or was set near, during, or after an apocalypse.

You also pointed out that both my script and Robocop have a scene early on in a boardroom where a demonstration of another robot goes horribly awry. A lot of movies have a scene early on in a boardroom where a demonstration of another robot goes horribly awry. And in Cyborg Policeman: Operation CrimeKill, it is not just some scene that's just there for action (as I'm guessing it is in Robocop), it is there to set up the rivalry between two executives in this company.

You seem to think the way this rivalry pays off is also an instance of "careless plagiarism." I believe it to be clearly coincidental that in both movies a selfish executive programs a secret fourth directive in the crime-fighting robot to prevent it from harming him. I guarantee if you were to type "fourth directive" into an IMDB keyword search, you would get at least three hundred results.

The fact that in both movies the man who becomes the Cyborg Policeman/Robocop is shot to death in a steel mill is entirely irrelevant. In Rudy, Rudy's friend dies in a steel mill, but you don't seem to think that Cyborg Policeman: Operation CrimeKill is like Rudy (although the theme of the triumph of the human spirit certainly rings true in both).

I do admit it strange that all the characters in Cyborg Policeman and Robocop have extremely similar names. But I do not think that just because my protagonist is named "Alex K. Murphy" and Robocop's is named "Alex J. Murphy" is a sign of "unabashed, shameless copying." A lot of people have similar names. Case in point: there were three other "Michael's" in my fifth grade class.

I believe now you understand that your issues with my screenplay are simply trivial details. Cyborg Policeman: Operation CrimeKill is an exciting, well-crafted story encompassing jaw-dropping special effects and gripping human drama, not just an action movie about a robot cop.

I have attached another copy of my screenplay, as well as the treatment for my next project, Alien Disguise: Blue Creatures On A Fantastic World.

Sincerely,
William J. Federman

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2010/1/26lachler.html

:rofl
dog

Powerslave

Cyborg Policeman :lol

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Poppycock, I'm working on this:

TASTE IS THE FOURTH DIMENSION

(My middle initial is "B", by the way. ;))
PSP

Third

• BODY TALK
Dutch-Bore.
These songs. How absolutely amazing are they?
Ik heb zoveel Nostalgia nu.  :-\
Nederland FOR THE MOTHERFUCKING WIN
That's Katja Schuurman right? God, she's so hhhot
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Two of my favorite Dutch songs. I usually can't stand listening to Dutch music, but those are pretty great.
And both artists only had one hit song. :lol

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
Dibs on War-Greymon!

Oh my god you motherfucker, war greymon is miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeee.
sad

EmCeeGrammar

Oh yeah, this

sad

EmCeeGrammar

I'm guessing that was in the movie that I never saw.
sad

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
I think the only good season was the first. Shame theres no good Digimon games...
fat

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
The problem for Digimon and was that they kept going and started using lame ideas to make the Digimon stronger than the Digimon of the original series.  

wait... why am I doing this?

:'( :'(

PS: War Greymon kicked ass.

Omnimon was a natural endpoint in my opinion as well.
XDF

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
Like I said, the first two seasons were ace.

The third does NOT exist.

A cousin of mine still watches the reruns. Some of the stuff they came up with.... I was like wtf?

edit: well fuck it, I really want all the Gargoyles and Batman:TAS shows on DVd/Blu-Ray. This has made me nostalgic.
XDF

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
[youtube=560,345]eSMeUPFjQHc[/youtube]
dog

Robo

obo

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
🍆🍆

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
imdb is littered with crappy student films. You don't have to be produced by Paramount to get imdb recognition. Almost all of my friends have their shitty films on imdb.

Hey, check out this biography vandalism I pulled on one friend. He has a separate imdb profile as a result now. :lol
PSP

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #4096 on: February 22, 2010, 06:45:22 PM »
Hey, check out this biography vandalism I pulled on one friend. He has a separate imdb profile as a result now. :lol

Carl Johnson (VII)

Mini Biography

Carl Ronald Johnson was born on a rundown moisture farm in Calloa, Missouri in 1982. His father, Billy Dee Johnson, was a popular circus ringer at the time and put away enough money to buy a Super 8 camera, which became Carl's prized possession. Around the age of 8, Carl begin taping daily events, but had an eye for detail and pieced together his first coherent work - a montage of eating chickens set to "Walk the Line".

Johnny Cash continued to become a huge influence in his life. As his homelife continued to deteriorate, his only escape the old Vitaphone that played the sweet music of the so-called Man in Black. At 12-years-old, he actually met Johnny Cash, who was traveling through Missouri on a record tour and it was then that he decided he would become a director/writer/producer/editor/sometimes actor.

His cult films that have reached now mythic proportions, such as Moment of Divinity and Mona's Voice, pushed him into the forefront of the next generation of Hollywood talent. It was there, that he began instruction at the infamous New York Film Academy, and his class short, Territorial Markings, won the prestigious Laurel award at the Annual New York Film Academy Screening at Universal.

Johnson now works as a Production Assistant on the hit Nickelodeon sitcom, Unfabulous.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Also, check out the message board where his former roommate got a bunch of NYFA grads to create accounts and berate him, and then he blows up at me. :lol
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Also, there was extra stuff about him being best friends with Fred Savage, and that he and Fred Savage would play "naked robber" after taping Unfabulous - but apparently Fred Savage or someone from his staff had it removed. :lol
PSP

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #4099 on: February 22, 2010, 06:51:06 PM »
:lol

Next time you write to him make sure to call him Carl Johnson (VII) PA.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
His new "Hollywood" name is C.J. Johnson (he has changed it to sound more "Hollywood"). I think the crappy short film he worked on is on imdb now.

He had a Wikipedia page until I vandalized that too.
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Eric, I can see you lurking - this is the guy I was talking about this morning.
PSP

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
Also, check out the message board where his former roommate got a bunch of NYFA grads to create accounts and berate him, and then he blows up at me. :lol

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1685733/board/nest/25720308 :wtf
乱学者

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Yeah, he drove over the hill, knocked on my door and punched my apartment wall after he wrote that. True story. :lol
PSP

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Fact: Will Federman is a fat, fat man.

Cant argue with the facts
fat

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Hey, I did agree that one of those was factually correct!
PSP

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
You never specified man. Sounds like you're giving me the runaround.
fat

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
Like I said, the first two seasons were ace.

The third does NOT exist.

WHAT?

the third was ok enough, just nowhere near the first 2 seasons

your line should be saved for the others after it, now those were complete fucking garbage.

The movie was fucking awesome

:'(

cool breeze

September 5th to October 21st is a big gap between original post and reply.  I assume that period was spent fact checking. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

liked the second one

Robo

ass is stacked
tits, like a
hurricane
obo

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
[youtube=560,345] VDanX-beShQ [/youtube]

Raban

• The baby...
I think everyone here would be a member of the church of bros.
SRY

EmCeeGrammar

I had a very long train of thought on a religion where you just go somewhere to chill every week and we would sit around just bullshitting.
sad

Raban

• The baby...
that isn't much of a religion though.
SRY

EmCeeGrammar

that isn't much of a religion though.

Sure it is.  The message would be to chill the fuck out and don't let petty shit bother you.  Lets play some videogames!
sad

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
I had a very long train of thought on a religion where you just go somewhere to chill every week and we would sit around just bullshitting.

The Church of Evilbore?
dog

Raban

• The baby...
Evilbore would be the best religion ever.
SRY

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
[youtube=560,345]sIlyXs8VZvo[/youtube]
:9

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #4119 on: February 23, 2010, 01:16:01 AM »
oh man.  Haven't laughed that hard in a while.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
I forgot about the Driving on Salvia one (remember watching it a year or two ago)

[youtube=560,345]Nyv21qW7SQo[/youtube]
:9

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #4121 on: February 23, 2010, 01:39:35 AM »

Bet he shit himself when that cat turned up.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
[youtube=560,345]c1T61vX4wm4[/youtube]

Himu

[youtube=560,345]c1T61vX4wm4[/youtube]
:lol
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19927628&postcount=27

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
What annoys me is how the only time Gary Whitta pops up now is to say that Book of Eli has passed some new milestone.  The 4th highest grossing Denzel movie ever!  It made more than Waterworld now!

gahhhhhhhh stop.  everyone there KNOWS you wrote it.  There are already tons of people kissing your ass about it!  you don't have to bring it up!

EmCeeGrammar

Oh let the guy gloat.  I wish I could brag about something every once in a while.
sad

Mupepe

• Icon
There's nothing wrong with gloating.  But that is the only thing he posts now.  In the weekend box office thread he posted 3 times in there.  people even asked him questions, but he didn't respond.  he just made another post about how thanks to actuals it was actually above waterworld now.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Sounds like someone is jealous they didn't write a movie that made more money than Waterworld :wag
PSP

Mupepe

• Icon
GODDAMMIT THIS ISN'T ABOUT ME AND MY FAILED SCREENPLAYS!

Himu

Gary Whitta sleeps well at night knowing the movie he wrote for didn't tank like Waterworld.
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
for real real.  i liked the movie and he seems like a really nice guy.  but if you're going to insist that people kiss your ass, at least accomodate them accordingly.  it's all i'm saying!

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Yeah, what a jerk, talking about the movie he wrote and all. ::)
PSP

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388382&page=3

people think Siebzehn50 is my alt account. would be hilarious if he got banned.
nat

Robo

If he's a bad enough poster to garner that confusion, he probably should be banned.
obo

Mupepe

• Icon
Yeah, what a jerk, talking about the movie he wrote and all. ::)
It's not that.  But he interjects it where it doesn't belong, ignores questions and really doesn't talk about anything else.  I loved it before the movie when he would actually talk about things regarding it.  Not just randomly spouting off one line facts about it and ignoring following questions.  

Mupepe

• Icon
I agree, its like he does nothing but talk about Book Of Eli now.

And I'd love to direct Rob Thomas's screenplays!
how about starring in it? ;)

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick

There's an gaffer with that same avatar and I was going to ask if that was your alt but them saw him posting about getting drunk or high and knew it wasn't you.
Drunk

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator

There's an gaffer with that same avatar and I was going to ask if that was your alt but them saw him posting about getting drunk or high and knew it wasn't you.

All part of his clever scheme!
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

OptimoPeach

[youtube=560,345]IZ8WP4YkGY0[/youtube]
hi5