Author Topic: Meme Machine Memorial Thread of Things You Saw on Reddit  (Read 1781109 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
[youtube=560,345]fVyVIsvQoaE[/youtube]

art?

Himu

PD, you need to learn how to read.

1. I have not painted hip hop with a brush.
2. I have pimped artists you keep bringing up. :lol

Are you dyslexic? How are you going to argue that I think Communism is abstract nonsence when I offered up a song from the same album it's from just a page back? :rofl Do you have short term memory problems in your rage?

I also like saying I like 80's hip hop more because it always riles people up. Add early 90's to the list as well. Far more diverse time period.

[youtube=560,345]G2bsPoxl4jY[/youtube]

:bow

:bow art
:bow subject matter
:bow poetry form

Your words:
But the bulk of hip hop I've listened to isn't really artistic. Despite enjoying it, for example, I couldn't label Life After Death or even 36 Chambers artistic. They feature lyrics that don't really make me think or question well, anything. They have no meaning.

What I find most hip hop to be is disposable music and even when you get to the good hip hop, it's usually about the same subject.

The difference here is that unlike PD, I am able to separate something I enjoy - in this case, some hip hop - with what I actually value in art. I rarely get much value in hip hop beyond "This is a banger" or "Wow that rhymed" or "Nice flow." Because it's enjoyable does not mean it has artistic depth or merit. Of course, there's exceptions, and I haven't painted all hip hop to be like this and I could say the same fucking thing about rock.

Like I said before, hip hop can be artistic just like rock can be artistic. But even from the rappers I like, there's still more flash rather than substance and attempts to rhyme rather than actually trying say something meaningful. And when they do attempt to say something meaningful, like I said on the last page, it's the same shit: black people got fucked by the white man, I used to sell drugs, life sucks. This is why I mostly stick with 80's hip hop which has a more diverse range of subject matter. That, or electronic music. :rock

Explain how those are not broad generalizations.

I know you posted a Common song, I'm asking you about the one I posted. Is Communism art, and if not why not.

You say music must have some emotional value, then champion 80s hip hop because it "riles people up." Yea ok

I thought I was the one painting with a broad brush here?

[youtube=560,345]O4o8TeqKhgY[/youtube]

:smug

Also, learn the definitions of the words "most" and "some".
IYKYK

art?

This is one of my favorite songs of all time. :bow

Also, art.

Himu

Hannah Montana songs typically have form (chorus, verse, chorus, etc.) and subject matter (lolol I'm two girls but really I'm just one :shh )

Also neither are qualifiers for what is and isn't art.

They can be qualifiers, particularly subject. If a piece doesn't have a subject, it's not art. What is art without a subject? It is nothing.
IYKYK

Himu

art?

Aside from the fact that the lyrics are random and seem to be derived from the fact that EVERYTHING MUST RHYME - a common issue with a lot of hip hop, it's like ADD music - due to the content in some of the lyrics, yes it is art.
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man

Art.
:9

Hannah Montana songs typically have form (chorus, verse, chorus, etc.) and subject matter (lolol I'm two girls but really I'm just one :shh )

They can be qualifiers, particularly subject. If a piece doesn't have a subject, it's not art. What is art without a subject? It is nothing.

I thought art was just about having a message and a driving ideology? :shh

And what one deems a worthy subject also holds no baring on whether a piece of work is art or not. I could take a photo of my balls and that is a piece of art, whether or not you think my balls are worth being the subject of a photograph.

Himu

I thought art was just about having a message and a driving ideology? :shh

And what one deems a worthy subject also holds no baring on whether a piece of work is art or not. I could take a photo of my balls and that is a piece of art, whether or not you think my balls are worth being the subject of a photograph.

How is subject not a part of message?

Have you never taken an art class?

And this is where we differ. You think anything can be art. I don't. To me, in order for your balls to be a piece of art, there'd have to be some MEANING or REASON as to why your balls were photographed. Otherwise, it's merely a photograph of your balls. Not art. A photograph of a family holding hands conveys a message, some meaning. A picture of just your balls is your own narcissism.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 03:05:37 AM by Himuro »
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

PD, you need to learn how to read.

1. I have not painted hip hop with a brush.
2. I have pimped artists you keep bringing up. :lol

Are you dyslexic? How are you going to argue that I think Communism is abstract nonsence when I offered up a song from the same album it's from just a page back? :rofl Do you have short term memory problems in your rage?

I also like saying I like 80's hip hop more because it always riles people up. Add early 90's to the list as well. Far more diverse time period.

[youtube=560,345]G2bsPoxl4jY[/youtube]

:bow

:bow art
:bow subject matter
:bow poetry form

Your words:
But the bulk of hip hop I've listened to isn't really artistic. Despite enjoying it, for example, I couldn't label Life After Death or even 36 Chambers artistic. They feature lyrics that don't really make me think or question well, anything. They have no meaning.

What I find most hip hop to be is disposable music and even when you get to the good hip hop, it's usually about the same subject.

The difference here is that unlike PD, I am able to separate something I enjoy - in this case, some hip hop - with what I actually value in art. I rarely get much value in hip hop beyond "This is a banger" or "Wow that rhymed" or "Nice flow." Because it's enjoyable does not mean it has artistic depth or merit. Of course, there's exceptions, and I haven't painted all hip hop to be like this and I could say the same fucking thing about rock.

Like I said before, hip hop can be artistic just like rock can be artistic. But even from the rappers I like, there's still more flash rather than substance and attempts to rhyme rather than actually trying say something meaningful. And when they do attempt to say something meaningful, like I said on the last page, it's the same shit: black people got fucked by the white man, I used to sell drugs, life sucks. This is why I mostly stick with 80's hip hop which has a more diverse range of subject matter. That, or electronic music. :rock

Explain how those are not broad generalizations.

I know you posted a Common song, I'm asking you about the one I posted. Is Communism art, and if not why not.

You say music must have some emotional value, then champion 80s hip hop because it "riles people up." Yea ok

I thought I was the one painting with a broad brush here?

[youtube=560,345]O4o8TeqKhgY[/youtube]

:smug

Also, learn the definitions of the words "most" and "some".

The problem is that on one hand you say hip hop is nothing more than flashy bullshit, then champion 80s hip hop as if it was any different. The 90s and 00s were more diverse.

That is my point, Himu. ALL subjects are part of the message, including those in Hannah Montana songs. The split personality thing could very well be seen as a commentary on the perversity of celebrity and false public profiles. Again, just because you don't think it is or don't think that's a subject worthy of any note doesn't mean the songs aren't works of art.

I feel like we've stressed this point a million times already. :spin

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
Cheebs!

In an effort to steer this thread back on track, peep this out:

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

I can't tell what's crazier, the song or the video.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
And this video is art, Himu :-*
[close]

Himu

I apologize, I should have said 80's and early 90's.

Early 90's in particular is far more diverse. I'd like to see a rapper in this day and age make a song about date rape like Tribe did.
IYKYK

Himu

That is my point, Himu. ALL subjects are part of the message, including those in Hannah Montana songs. The split personality thing could very well be seen as a commentary on the perversity of celebrity and false public profiles. Again, just because you don't think it is or don't think that's a subject worthy of any note doesn't mean the songs aren't works of art.

I feel like we've stressed this point a million times already. :spin

:lol
IYKYK

Early 90's in particular is far more diverse. I'd like to see a rapper in this day and age make a song about date rape like Tribe did.

Early 90s is more diverse than today? I call bullshit on that. The advances in technology and the adoption of different and more varied genre influences on hip-hop today is leading to material that seems far more experimental and expansive than most 90's hip-hop I know of. Again it seems you're focusing purely on mainstream stuff. Listen to Def Jux, Rhymesayers or Anticon shit and tell me hip-hop is stagnant and "all the same". Even just the availability of more alternative sources of music (the rise of indie labels like the ones I just listed) has led to more expansive, all-encompassing hip-hop.

Hell, even the shit RZA is doing today is far more "diverse" than the breadth of his 90's output.

Phoenix Dark

art?

Aside from the fact that the lyrics are random and seem to be derived from the fact that EVERYTHING MUST RHYME - a common issue with a lot of hip hop, it's like ADD music - due to the content in some of the lyrics, yes it is art.

Due to the content in some of the lyrics, it's art? Is this a legal decision?

If that's your definition, clearly most songs will apply.

Finally, I've never heard anyone complain about rhyming in hip hop as if it's a negative, or cheapens the music. Pretty petty complaint.

Himu

I disagree. I like the subjects touched on in early 90's hip hop, especially with the differences between west coast and east coast styles.
IYKYK

I disagree. I like the subjects touched on in early 90's hip hop, especially with the differences between west coast and east coast styles.

I guarantee you there are still songs being made about date rape and what have you today, if that's what you're looking for. Again, you seem to be making broad generalizations based on shit played on the radio. Now more than ever the stuff being played on the radio is hardly demonstrative of all the genre is good for.

Phoenix Dark

Early 90s is more diverse than today? I call bullshit on that. The advances in technology and the adoption of different and more varied genre influences on hip-hop today is leading to material that seems far more experimental and expansive than most 90's hip-hop I know of. Again it seems you're focusing purely on mainstream stuff. Listen to Def Jux, Rhymesayers or Anticon shit and tell me hip-hop is stagnant and "all the same". Even just the availability of more alternative sources of music (the rise of indie labels like the ones I just listed) has led to more expansive, all-encompassing hip-hop.

Hell, even the shit RZA is doing today is far more "diverse" than the breadth of his 90's output.

I would agree. Sampling has evolved quite a bit since the James Brown/jazz/etc focused 90s. And while I'd say 90s>* in terms of hip hop in general, the 00s were definitely a great decade for hip hop on most fronts.

Himu

art?

Due to the content in some of the lyrics, it's art? Is this a legal decision?

If that's your definition, clearly most songs will apply.

Finally, I've never heard anyone complain about rhyming in hip hop as if it's a negative, or cheapens the music. Pretty petty complaint.

Well, actually, it's mostly because of the message. Stuff about aids and Bombs over Baghdad. It's a feel good song that's meant to be positive, right? That's why I label it as art. Despite the idiotic ADD lyrics, it's still kinda artsy, but then again most of the "depth" comes off as shock and superficial, which is kinda similar to that Jay Electronica line you posted.

Tell me why Smokin' is art.

And it's not a complaint, it's just something I've noticed and this limits the art form. You don't always have to rhyme in poetry. Rap is poetry, right?
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

Subjects like what? You're honestly going to pretend like there isn't broad variation in the social commentary found in modern hip hop?

"bububu no ones talking about date rape like the tribe"

seriously?

I'm done here. It's too late, I'm too cranky, and my brain hurts way too much. I'm gonna go listen to some Elzhi or some Y Society or Blu or any other rap artists with something to say, who are dope, have good production, or whatever.

edit: one mention of AIDS in that song. And yet you complained about my comments on Exhibit C. SMH

Himu

I guarantee you there are still songs being made about date rape and what have you today, if that's what you're looking for. Again, you seem to be making broad generalizations based on shit played on the radio. Now more than ever the stuff being played on the radio is hardly demonstrative of all the genre is good for.

Then link me to rappers who are tackling a wealth of deep issues. Because I'm obviously not solely talking about mainstream rap, whch is shit.

You keep citing "you're painting with a broad brush, and only generalizing." Then point me to places where I can get some "deep" rap music.

Or is it more superficial mumbo Jay Allahamdinonica?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 03:22:33 AM by Himuro »
IYKYK

The 00's produced a bunch of hip-hop albums I consider all-time greats. Listen to "The Cold Vein" and tell me that's any less diverse than your average 2-Pac album or even "Illmatic".

Himu

I have listened to plenty 00 hip hop.

How about you argue why this shit is deep, or bring up actual subjects that would appeal to me?
IYKYK

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
I can point to a garbage can, declare it a statue and hence art.

I'd also point out so far, you have added absolutely nothing to this conversation. But carry on.
You're just upset about Jay Electronica.

Himu

Subjects like what? You're honestly going to pretend like there isn't broad variation in the social commentary found in modern hip hop?

seriously?

I'm done here. It's too late, I'm too cranky, and my brain hurts way too much. I'm gonna go listen to some Elzhi or some Y Society or Blu or any other rap artists with something to say, who are dope, have good production, or whatever.

edit: one mention of AIDS in that song. And yet you complained about my comments on Exhibit C. SMH

Oh wow, they mentioned AIDS. So DEEEEP.
IYKYK

Here you go, Himu. If you listen to this album and merely say "meh it all sounds the same it's not diverse" then you are clearly just being willfully ignorant. Other recommendations:

Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
Aesop Rock - Labor Days, None Shall Pass
El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead
Mad Villain - Mad Villainy

Phoenix Dark

I can point to a garbage can, declare it a statue and hence art.

I'd also point out so far, you have added absolutely nothing to this conversation. But carry on.
You're just upset about Jay Electronica.

I moved on awhile ago, hence the discussion. Carry on

on a side note:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20776962&postcount=2208
smh  :-\

Himu, didn't you big up fucking Little Brother's first album? Or does that content not qualify as "subjects" to new, Hipster-Himu
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 03:28:44 AM by Phoenix Dark »

Phoenix Dark

seriously?

Oh wow, they mentioned AIDS. So DEEEEP.

You brought up AIDS and Baghdad as examples of "substance" in the song, not me.

Himu

Little Brother's first album? The Listening? The Listening is dope.

But it's not nearly as good The Minstrel Show, in my mind, which is one of the best hip hop concept albums I've heard.
IYKYK

Himu

(Image removed from quote.)

Here you go, Himu. If you listen to this album and merely say "meh it all sounds the same it's not diverse" then you are clearly just being willfully ignorant.

First I'll go through the lyrics and then see what I think of those, and if I like the lyrics and subject matter I will download it.

I've been burned too much from too many hip hop fans who think that just because they like something it's "deep" than to fall into another shitstain hip flop trap.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

[youtube=560,345]Vvzx2AvZ-Gc[/youtube]
[youtube=560,345]Q4OQU8qlSgo[/youtube]
[youtube=560,345]Xt33wnUXhbU[/youtube]
[youtube=560,345]7OI8Y8X4YkE[/youtube]
[youtube=560,345]sWc4DG1s53g[/youtube]

yup, no content

edit: "deep" is usually used in a pretentious manner, I'm not going to use it here

Here's the last verse of the opening track:

(And if there's crack in a basement...)
Crack heads stand adjacent
Anger displacement
Two step arangements
You were a still-born baby
Mother didn't want you, but you were still born
Boy meets world, of course his pops is gone
What you figure?
That chalky outline on the ground is a father figure?
So he steps to the next stencil, that's a hustler
Infested with money and diamond cluster
Lets talk in laymen terms
Rotten apples and big worms
Early birds and poachers
New York is evil at it's core, so those who have more than them
Prepare to be vic-tims
Ate up by vultures, the politicians
In a dog eat dog culture, that'll sick 'em
Lack of mineral, we take it personal
A pigeon can't drop shit if it never flew
Every day is no frills, empty krills
Broken 40 bottles and m.c's with skills
I rest my head on 115
But miracles only happen on 34th, so I guess life is mean
And death is the median
And purgatory is the mode that we settle in
"No doubt"
I've got that Eve's Bayou sense of touch
So I fought, to touch every hand of a fan to read their thoughts
Battered wives, molested children
Roaches on the floor, rats in the ceiling
Cats walk around New York with two fillin's
One is in their mouth the other, does the killin'
I'm Vast Air, Kramer, top billin'

I just picked this since it's the first song on the album, and not some filler "deep" track surrounded by party and thug life tracks like an average 2-Pac album. :rock

Himu

I will give it a shot.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

Sigh.

Another rock band singing about a bad relationship, depression, and love somehow being involved

Himu

Sigh.

Another rock band singing about a bad relationship

Sigh.

Another country music group singing about their daughter dating a black man.
IYKYK

Sigh.

Another rapper with a broken home, a broke family and crack somehow being involved.

Haven't you been pimping 2-Pac in this thread time and time again? :lol

Again, this is one song on the album, and it's not just about living in TEH GHETTOZ. ::)

Look, Himu, this is the same group, from the same album, and is totally different subject matter (!!!!)

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Himu

Sigh.

Another rapper with a broken home, a broke family and crack somehow being involved.

Haven't you been pimping 2-Pac in this thread time and time again? :lol

Again, this is one song on the album, and it's not just about living in TEH GHETTOZ. ::)

Well, Tupac still had some really positive songs that mixed bad with good. I don't know, he just clicked. And although he had an obsession with death and shit, he had this way with words. I can't explain it.

Maybe it'll jive with me more if I hear it rather than read it.
IYKYK

Vaste Aire has a very abstract style. Listen to that track I linked and tell me that's just typical hip-hop nonsense.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Sigh.

Another rock band singing about a bad relationship, depression, and love somehow being involved

I get physically sick whenever I hear that "Angel Eyes" "Eyes of an Angel"? song
:9

Beezy

You fucking fuckers know that there's a fucking hip hop thread that hardly gets any fucking posts, right?

Third

• BODY TALK
Damn, Jamie xxoo over at GAF is one hot looking trans.  :lol

Himu

Oh and Himu, did you actually call Method Man Redman? SMH.

It was late. Ugh.
IYKYK

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
Man, that whole MGMT album is terrible.
Really? :( I really liked their first album but have yet to listen to anything from their second.

Robo

The ballads stand out.  Someone's Missing, Congratulations and (especially) I Found a Whistle are pretty great songs.

[youtube=560,345]zs4aOcjiSKo[/youtube]

i found a whistle and warped to world 4

Kinda iffy on the rest.  It's obnoxious and scatterbrained.
obo

Cheebs

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20773183&postcount=52

So here are my assumptions.

He is <25
He lives in Ohio or some other shithole.
He proposed when he found out she was preggers.

Someone prove me right.
Probably. Marrying/proposing purely because you get a girl pregnant tends to end up not working too well from what I have seen. Marrying young also tends to have the same bad outcome as opposed to marrying when you are more of an adult. It was doomed to implode.

The divorce rate would plummet if everyone took Michelle Obama's advice she told a group of high schoolers last year. She said you shouldn't get married till you are at least 30 and have a career.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 11:51:59 AM by Cheebs »

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20773183&postcount=52

So here are my assumptions.

He is <25
He lives in Ohio or some other shithole.
He proposed when he found out she was preggers.

Someone prove me right.

use of "mum" suggests the UK, maybe? 
the kid is 3. 

Cheebs

Problem with her proposal is its MUCH harder for women to conceive after 30, so most women start feeling their biological clocks around 25.

It's more and more common. The average age of  first marriage in America is 26 for females 27 for males. And amongst caucasians only it is 30 for males and 28 for females. And this is a number that is going up, not down. The average age for females (especially white females) will break the 30 barrier.

In fact in America the only age this last decade where birth rates have increased, not decreased is 40+. We are in a culture where people are waiting longer and longer to have kids.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:17:38 PM by Cheebs »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Children with mothers under 25 live longer.

So, yeah, thanks for waiting until after 25, mom!
dog

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore

cool breeze

that kfc double down thread on gaf is really creepy

People are posting while in line saying they're about to buy it and then they take pictures of the unboxing.  It's the hyperbole about twitter coming true.  

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
Global Warming is fucking up.

Third

• BODY TALK
The new Christina Aguilera track is pretty good.  8)

Pringo

Well I just got perma'd over at GAF. Nice way to start a day.  >:(

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick

lol was it because of the "my ex is a prostitute" thread? :rofl, that girl have a great ass :drool
Drunk

Pringo

lol was it because of the "my ex is a prostitute" thread? :rofl, that girl have a great ass :drool

Yup. Sure was.

I have a few of the girl's pics if anyone wants them.

Post 'em, champ :bow

Himu

post plz
IYKYK