Author Topic: Meme Machine Memorial Thread of Things You Saw on Reddit  (Read 1780933 times)

Himu

be a man and watch animation for animation. If I want stories I'll get something with some writing talent behind it.

this. i don't care whether it's eastern or western animation. I just love cartoons.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Most American animation, outside of some movies [Pixar, Disney, sometimes Dreamworks] and stuff like Adult Swim, doesn't really interest me that much. I think part of that is that most just don't really have a cohesive storyline, just lots of standalone episodes and maybe sometimes they'll mention something bigger going on.

It's not an East vs. West thing either, because I don't really like super-long animes either [One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, DBZ, et al].
dog

Himu

My problem with western animation is that it seems almost every toon has to be a comedy.

But it's no biggie. Aside from that, I hate the whole "let's outsource all cartons to korea and Japan!" thing. Killed my childhood dream. Fuck the animation industry.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
(Image removed from quote.)

Graphing calculators have to be made intentionally crappy so you can use them on your ACT/SAT without being able text someone for the answers or access an cheat site with your wireless 3G.
©@©™

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
I like anime but some (most) anime fans drive me nuts and are not worth befriending.

agree with this as well.

Adding the stuff that happened to Linkzg(iirc) on that Borecast episode :-\
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 08:21:45 PM by Purple Filth »

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.

Graphing calculators have to be made intentionally crappy so you can use them on your ACT/SAT without being able text someone for the answers or access an cheat site with your wireless 3G.

or store the equations you're supposed to know rote in it's memory (not that that stopped me :teehee, but fuck it was laborious)
___

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
Drunk

DJ_Tet

My issue is not that they are gimped.  I have no problem with still using TI 85s.  The problem is that TI 85s are still $100.  They should be more affordable, not the same price they were 15 years ago.
TIT

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
It's like with college textbooks, they got you over the barrel so they'll charge whatever they want. :(
©@©™

Donono

Should have installed a lock first, mang.

[youtube=560,345]Zn3dzAgnmqA[/youtube]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Should have installed a lock first, mang.

[youtube=560,345]Zn3dzAgnmqA[youtube]

There is a lock. Captain Self-Service just didn't use it. HE WANTED HIS MOM TO SEE.  :-X

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
In my many experiences, people who are very in to anime.

-Wear those anime silk button-down shirts.
-Are incredibly socially awkward, to the point where finding out the Wendy's they just bought their Double Cheese combo at is out of Mountain Dew throws them in to a hilarious rage.
-Surround themselves with hideos looking anime chicks.

And i won an Akira tshirt, but I look fucking awesome in it.

You just described every anime-loving customer I had in my game store days.  Working there is what made me not want to associate with anyone who liked that stuff.

With the silk shirts, the first time I saw one, the guy was wearing a Samurai Shodown-themed shirt.  He wouldn't tell me where he got it because "I don't want everyone to copy the way I dress."  Never mind that eight billion other nerds were all wearing them too.  I saw the shirts at Hot Topic (I think) a bit later and decided against buying one.  I knew a bit about that guy, and guess what else?  He was incredibly socially awkward and dated this fat tub of a girl.  She'd go out clubbing and he'd sit at home playing video games and watching anime.   :lol
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 08:18:47 AM by Good Day Sir »
ど助平

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

Robo

my ass is open 24/7  :-*
obo

Mupepe

• Icon
Hardcore anime nerds are almost always holier than thou socially awkward fucks.  I can't feel sorry for their social awkwardness because they're almost always assholes who think their taste in everything is superior and they're so fucking enlightened because they watch cartoons about high school love and I just don't get it.  I hope they die.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
I don't know whether I should be happy that I'm not like that or depressed that I get lumped in with them anyway.  :-\
dog

Mupepe

• Icon
maybe you're the exception, not the rule.  not all of them are that way, but most that I've met are.

Plus, if you just watch casually then I don't think you qualify.  I'm talking about the dudes who are into 7 anime series at once and think they're deep and artsy

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
I don't really talk about anime that much outside of the internet. In part because I don't know many people that are as big into it as I, but also because I just really don't care to talk to people that much if I don't know them very well or at all. And I'm aware enough to know that nerd hobbies don't have widespread appeal and that extolling the virtues of shows about large-breasted cat aliens is a good way to come across as a complete loser and a creep.

I do hold some illusions of not coming across like that to total strangers!
dog

Mupepe

• Icon

Mupepe

• Icon
I don't talk about games unless it's with my other nerdy friends.  My younger cousins know i'm a gamer so when we're out somewhere they always want to talk about games since I know more than them.  It's pretty embarrassing sometimes.  Like if one of my non nerdy friends bring up games, I don't go full distinguished mentally-challenged fellow on them about the lower resolutions of the ps3 versions and shit.  Yeesh

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
I don't really talk about anime that much outside of the internet. In part because I don't know many people that are as big into it as I, but also because I just really don't care to talk to people that much if I don't know them very well or at all. And I'm aware enough to know that nerd hobbies don't have widespread appeal and that extolling the virtues of shows about large-breasted cat aliens is a good way to come across as a complete loser and a creep.

I do hold some illusions of not coming across like that to total strangers!

Same here.

will talk this stuff with my friends who are mostly casual when it comes to anime, manga and/or games and there are times when another person who has no interest eventually is "roped in".

Other from that, nope unless the unknowns are talking about it and then i will listen.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
I just like watching anime and reading manga, I don't care about getting out there and trying to "convert" people.
dog

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
When I meet people in real life who are into anime, or videogames, or any of the nerdy activities, they generally are relatively normal people. It's on the internet where they tend to groupthink together and become an obnoxious embarrasing collection.

Mupepe

• Icon
I think most of them are until you get to know them.  Most of my friends that are hardcore into games seemed normal at the beginning, but as I got to know them they became any number of the nerdy stereotypes (except a few exceptions of course)

Purple Filth

I just like watching anime and reading manga, I don't care about getting out there and trying to "convert" people.

Nah i dont do any forcing thing, its just that some are curious due to the discussion and ask about it, i just say to check it out.

They will either don't care or they get somewhat interested. Doesn't matter to me which choice.

I think most of them are until you get to know them.  Most of my friends that are hardcore into games seemed normal at the beginning, but as I got to know them they became any number of the nerdy stereotypes (except a few exceptions of course)

And its always surprising to see.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 12:06:10 PM by Purple Filth »

Robo

You must either be lax on what constitutes a "normal person", or you're not in a position to run into super geeks all that often.  To give a mild example of what I have to deal with being into the local fighting game scene, a nerdy acquaintance of mine only wears Wal-mart women's jeans.  WOMEN'S JEANS.  They're wide at the hip and taper down to being tight on the ankles.  It's weird as hell.  I also know someone who is an actual closeted furry, but doesn't know that everyone else knows.
obo

Purple Filth

You must either be lax on what constitutes a "normal person", or you're not in a position to run into super geeks all that often.  To give a mild example of what I have to deal with being into the local fighting game scene, a nerdy acquaintance of mine only wears Wal-mart women's jeans.  WOMEN'S JEANS.  They're wide at the hip and taper down to being tight on the ankles.  It's weird as hell.  I also know someone who is an actual closeted furry, but doesn't know that everyone else knows.

what?  :lol

so nobody wants to tell him  :P

Stoney Mason

That's why I said normal. Anybody who tends to go overly hardcore into anything turns into a weirdo. But then I don't hang around those people. I know people who are into D&D, anime, videogames etc. And almost to a man they are normal people. But if you spend your entire life and time doing it then yes, you are probably prone to being a weirdo.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator

Nah i dont do any forcing thing, its just that some are curious due to the discussion and ask about it, i just say to check it out.

They will either don't care or they get somewhat interested. Doesn't matter to me which choice.

I didn't mean for my comments to come across as being directed at you, I was just making a general statement about myself.
dog

Robo

what?  :lol

so nobody wants to tell him  :P

Nobody wants to embarrass him by bringing it up.  I mean, if people found out I was a 'borean, I'd prefer they kept it to themselves too.
obo

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
you inevitably discover that MOST people are fucked up by some measure when you get to know them; it's just that "nerds" have never developed the social screen to disguise it, for good or ill (usually ill).
duc

Himu

Hardcore anime nerds are almost always holier than thou socially awkward fucks.  I can't feel sorry for their social awkwardness because they're almost always assholes who think their taste in everything is superior and they're so fucking enlightened because they watch cartoons about high school love and I just don't get it.  I hope they die.

As someone who used to be a hardcore anime nerd I can confirm this. But this is true for any "hardcore" anything.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 02:11:31 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

good god riskychris

HE'S STILL AT IT

he made a thread about a legitimate issue and ruined it wtf
IYKYK

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
good god riskychris

HE'S STILL AT IT

he made a thread about a legitimate issue and ruined it wtf

link, you useless gob
duc

Himu

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401886

makes a thread about trans issues and censorship. people badmouth him. Keep in mind that RC isn't trans. Instead of discussing what is totally a legitimate issue (see Shidoshi's post) the bulk of the thread is hammering on RC and yet he WON'T QUIT. It totally reminds me of Green Shinobi.
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
it's not a legitimate issue.  cheeseburgers/shemales/heshes/dick-a-boos/cocksluts/chicks with dicks/guys with pies can get the fuck off the internet if they don't like the ridicule.

Mupepe

• Icon
to be fair, i just really fucking hate Risky Chris

Himu

it's not a legitimate issue.  cheeseburgers/shemales/heshes/dick-a-boos/cocksluts/chicks with dicks/guys with pies can get the fuck off the internet if they don't like the ridicule.

Actually, it is. It's not just on the internet either.
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
you know i was joking, right?

but i'm still not going to stop saying cheeseburger and chicks with dicks.  it's too much fun.  just like saying cigarillo.  my bad.

Himu

I know exactly what you mean. cigarillo is actually one of my favorite words and I don't know why.

I'm not saying people should stop using it, either. I'm just saying.
IYKYK

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
apropos:

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Pot, kettle, black
___

magus

• LIKES FF7
<----

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
:9

Himu

I like talking about video games but not in front of other people.  The other day at a party I got talking to a guy about consoles and I looked up and people were fucking staring.  I said, "this conversation is over" and walked away. 

IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
:lol The Business :bow2

Mandark

• Icon
Don't know about the context of the thread, but EviLore's off the mark.

Self-naming > whining about a "fallacious cycle of political correctness".

Stoney Mason

Evilore is generally a jackass and while I may not agree wholely with his specific reasoning in this case, I probably don't agree with banning the word "cheeseburger" at this stage either on a forum like GAF although I'm open to keeping an open mind and hearing the counter argument from a transgender person.

As with a lot of words, sometimes its not the word itself but the context somebody is using it in that people find offensive. Although that also isn't an iron clad rule as some words in nearly all contexts are offensive to some people.

etiolate

Discussion of the word? Cool. Banning the word? Not cool.

Himu

how long was riskychris banned?

Discussion of the word? Cool. Banning the word? Not cool.

exactly.
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
The mocking of a trans-gendered person is already against the TOS (as is cheeseburger-Surprise) and I agree about the discussion being more enlightening than just outright nixing a word. As far as RiskyChris, holy self-righteous batman and worse yet the thread creation and his arguments since came off as him being all stoic and shielding the trans-gender community. Its even worse when he does it in totally unrelated threads.

Himu

reported that post jinfash
IYKYK

Himu

reported!
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
chicks with dicks always makes me laugh

Himu

because they tickle you with their dicks? hee hee