Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 794287 times)

archie4208

FitnessBore - 2018 edition
« on: December 29, 2009, 11:36:11 PM »
Hey guys I noticed in the New Years Resolution thread that fitness seems to be a priority.  I know that there is an old fitness thread, but I thought we could start a clean slate and make a thread to discuss fitness and help encourage one another.  One way we can get started is to post our stats, goals and how we are going about achieving them.

Height: 5' 8''
Weight: 180 lbs
Goal: Lose 30 pounds by June 1 and get to 10% bodyfat

Weightlifting:  I was using the Stronglifts 5x5 program (which I think is a great beginner program).  I was doing that routine for the past two months and lost 10 pounds in that time. :o  I eventually burnt out on it and am now using this program I found at bodybuilding.com.  I am on the second day of it and I have mixed feelings about it.  I do like that I am getting different exercises, but at the same time, training muscles once a week seems kinda odd.

Cardio:  Right now since I have a fat loss goal, I am trying to fit in as much cardio as possible.  I try to do 20-30 minutes of moderate intensity cardio (about 65% MHR) on my lifting days and do 15 minutes HIIT on the other days.

Nutrition:  I have been focusing really hard on trying to eat as healthy as possible (but I still screw up every now and then :-\).  Since I'm trying to lose fat, I only consume about 1800-1900 calories a day.  I drink only water and green tea.  My typical day nutrition wise looks something like this:

8:00 AM - Protein shake, 1/2 cup oatmeal

Post workout - Protein shake

11:00 AM - Can of tuna/turkey sandwich on 100% whole wheat bread and a vegetable

2:00 PM - Cup of cottage cheese and a vegetable

5:00 PM - something to tide me over until dinner.  Usually some cottage cheese and/or a veggie

6:00 PM - Skinless boneless chicken breast and a vegetable

9:00 PM - Protein shake

Evening snack - carrots or cottage cheese

(boring I know :/)

tl;dr:  Post your aspirations and let's get our asses into shape!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 08:45:26 PM by Joe Molotov »

cool breeze

Re: FitnessBore - 2010 edition
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 11:44:02 PM »
uh, my goal is to make my shoulders and forearms not suck.

I don't even know if you can build your forearms and wrist area.

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 11:45:26 PM »
I'm 5 ft 11 in tall and weigh about 175 pounds. I just want to be in better shape and not die while running a half marathon in June.
野球

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 11:45:33 PM »
lol. Flex all you want, you still a pasty white nerd archie.
fat

archie4208

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 11:47:15 PM »
demi I will post some fatty pics if I hit my goal.  You better be rooting for me. :-*

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 11:50:02 PM »
I live in a pretty flat part of Seattle with a lake that's about a 3 1/2 mile run from my front door. I do that three or four times a week and the wife and I are going to be upping our mileage more and more to be ready for the half marathon.
野球

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 11:50:50 PM »
I'm no longer a massive fatty (down to 5'10" maybe about 200 lbs from a max of about 260 at my worst) but I'd kind of like to lose those last 20 lbs and tone up, so I can start kicking people's asses and having various women I barely know eat delicious things off of my rock hard abs.  What's a good way to go about making this happen?
yar

Rman

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 11:52:55 PM »
I gained a lot of weight during culinary school and lost around 30 pounds with a combination of diet and cross fit type exercises.  I'm not a fan of the small meals paradigm.  Way too inconvenient.  The Stronglifts program is a great program.  It is based on Mark Rippetoe's beginner workouts.  I still want to lose more weight for this year.

For diet below is what I follow 80 percent of time. Again, I love food and wine, so when I eat out I throw these rules out of the window.  This is more for day to day eating.  I wish I had Genghis Cohen's metabolism.  That guy can out eat and out drink anyone and is as slim as fuck.

I cut off all sweets, especially things with HFCS.
I cut off all grain products--breads, crackers, pasta, etc.
Cut off fruit juices.  Don't buy the vitamin claims.  They're full of sugar, natural of course, but it still spikes insulin, which inhibits fat burning.
Avoid transfats such as vegetable oils and partial hydrogenated soybean oil.
Focus on real food--meat, poultry, fish, full fat yogurt--Fage is my favorite, veggies, low sugar fruits, such as berries.
I fast once a week to normalize leptin imbalances.  Leptin is a hormone which regulates hunger.  Most people who have trouble with snacking and the like have a leptin imbalance which causes them to overeat.  Fasting normalizes leptin.
Limit your workouts to short, intense bursts of activity.  Sprint. Sprint. Sprint.

Mark's Daily Apple is great website for additional information based on the concepts illustrated above.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 12:07:31 AM by Rman »

archie4208

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 11:53:49 PM »
I'm no longer a massive fatty (down to 5'10" maybe about 200 lbs from a max of about 260 at my worst) but I'd kind of like to lose those last 20 lbs and tone up, so I can start kicking people's asses and having various women I barely know eat delicious things off of my rock hard abs.  What's a good way to go about making this happen?

Abdominal exercises and general fat loss would probably be the way to go.  Spot reduction of fat is a horrible terrible myth.  You might want to read this site to get some insight about abs.

I cut off all grain products--breads, crackers, pasta, etc.

You are a stronger person than I.  If I cut my carbs I end up 1) being an annoying dick to everyone because I have a constant headache and 2) gorge on cereal to make up for the deficiency.  I try to eat as many complex carbs as possible (oatmeal, whole wheat bread and sweet potatoes are my main staples) and curtail my carb intake after lunch time focusing more on veggies instead.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 11:56:16 PM by archie4208 »

Rman

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 12:03:47 AM »
You can also supplement the lost calories from carbs with natural fats, which, contrary to bad science, aren't as bad for you as people think.  Read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes for the science behind this.  Nuts, full fat yogurt, and eggs will provide satiety and also essential vitamins.  Breakfast cereals are terrible if you want to lose weight.  It spikes insulin to high heaven.  If you do like cereal and want to lose weight, either add more cardio or stick with All-Bran or Shredded Wheat.  The high fiber in these kinds of cereals mitigate any insulin spikes that may occur.  Whenever insulin is produced in high quantities it is basically a signal to your body to store more fat.

Archie, just make sure that the whole wheat bread you're consuming has no HFCS.  That shit is terrible.

I live in a pretty flat part of Seattle with a lake that's about a 3 1/2 mile run from my front door. I do that three or four times a week and the wife and I are going to be upping our mileage more and more to be ready for the half marathon.

That's awesome!  I'm no long distance runner, but good luck to you and your wife. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 10:12:14 AM by Rman »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 12:09:30 AM »
:bow Greek Yogurt :bow2

SO GOOD
yar

archie4208

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 12:11:58 AM »
Archie, just make sure that the whole wheat bread you're consuming has no HFCS.  That shit is terrible.

Right.  I already checked every food I eat for HCFS.  I saw the HCFS lecture and it scared the shit outta me.

Pretty interesting.  It explains why obesity rates have spiked in the past 30 years.

Rman

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 12:12:11 AM »
:bow Greek Yogurt :bow2

SO GOOD
Definitely.  You can't go back to the watery stuff after tasting the goodness of Greek yogurt.

Oh snap, Archie, I was going to post that lecture.  It's long, but very informative and he doesn't do a bad job keeping it entertaining, at least for the dense subject matter.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 12:25:16 AM by Rman »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 12:16:40 AM »
Not only is greek yogurt good for you, IT'S SO FUCKING RICH AND TASTY.  Craps all over every other kind of yogurt.  It's like discovering blow jobs after a lifetime of nothing but unenthusiastic hand jobs from inexperienced teenage girls.
yar

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 01:14:50 AM »
Greek yogurt is indeed awesome. And the most popular brand is FAGE, which you can mutter to yourself when purchasing "fage, because I want to be a skinny ciagrillo" when grabbing some at the store.

My mainstay in keeping my diet clean is the sheer magic of vegetables, eggs, and poultry/fish. Especially poultry. When in doubt and you are hungry, you can't go wrong when you keep fucking eating that chicken. Low in calories, high in protein, and very filling, and there are tons of easy ways to prepare it with little mess and fuss.
hex

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 01:20:02 AM »
I'd love to try out Rman's fasting as a good way to regulate leptin, but I do really ball-busting HIIT 4 times a week and it turns me into a ravenous food monster for a good 24 hours afterwards, making fasting hard to fit in.

I'm going to start stronglifts 5x5 in January to satisfy my workplace's "healthy living rebate" stuff for the new year. Which in turn will go to getting me a Logitech G27 (a reward for my toil!).
hex

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 01:34:04 AM »
That all costs money and I'm lazy.  :-\
©ZH

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 03:03:04 AM »
I've mostly gained weight, but that's all according to plan. I don't have much of an interest in exercising for looks, I'm just after strength and general conditioning. Calmed down a bit with adding weights, so I've been hovering around the same deadlifts and squats for a while. I don't have the right environment to be pushing any serious weights, and this summer I should get all the work-out I need and then some just by working on our field and playing lumberjack.

Breakfast cereals are terrible is you want to lose weight.  It spikes insulin to high heaven.  If you do like cereal and want to lose weight, either add more cardio or stick with All-Bran or Shredded Wheat.

I have rediscovered a childhood favorite, crushed crispbread (Wasa) in milk or yogurt. I'll add some lingonberry for flavor, but that's probably not for everyone.

I'd eat more poultry, but I seriously can't get past the nastiness of that industry.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 03:08:02 AM by duckman2000 »

Oblivion

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 03:09:42 AM »
I'm gonna make a serious (lol yeah right) attempt to gain some healthy weight. Do those weight gain powder thingies work? Went to GNC today just to look around, and a tub of what the clerk said was 'really kickass' weight gain powder costs about $40. I'm willing to buy it, but hell, if I can just buy an extra $40 worth of food, well...

duckman2000

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 03:11:27 AM »
What's weight gain powder? Couldn't you just add more fatty foods, like dairy?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 03:17:41 AM by duckman2000 »

Oblivion

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2009, 03:14:14 AM »
What's weight gain powder?

Like creatine and the like. You mix it with water or milk.

duckman2000

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2009, 03:17:33 AM »
The thing with food is that if I try to push myself to include shit I don't like, and exclude the things that make eating worthwhile, then what's the point? I've pushed myself to appreciate certain egg dishes, and I've trained myself to like fish, but there's some stuff that simply feels right despite not being the "best" food choices, without which I doubt I'd have the spirit to give a shit about my health in the first place. It's sort of like coffee vs tinnitus.

What's weight gain powder?

Like creatine and the like. You mix it with water or milk.

Most of the powders I've seen have a lot of weird shit in them. I guess any pure form of a well studied and documented substance would be fine (although I don't know if it works or not), but I haven't seen any such brand.

drew

• sy
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2009, 03:29:22 AM »

yeah you can, take a dumb bell in your hand, sit down rest your arm palm facing up on your thigh, scoot it up so your wrist is hanging down, do mini curls, voila

duckman2000

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2009, 03:38:24 AM »
Chin ups will work your forearms. Anything that involves grip strength should.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2009, 04:41:21 AM »
I'm at 6 foot and 170 pounds but I just want to lose 10 pounds.  What's generally the best cardio or weightloss regimen?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2009, 06:35:25 AM »
I'm gonna make a serious (lol yeah right) attempt to gain some healthy weight. Do those weight gain powder thingies work? Went to GNC today just to look around, and a tub of what the clerk said was 'really kickass' weight gain powder costs about $40. I'm willing to buy it, but hell, if I can just buy an extra $40 worth of food, well...

The simplest way is to drink lots of milk along with what you already eat, unless you're lactose-intolerant.

(btw, everyone that hasn't already should just go read the other thread. Much as I enjoy talking about this, there are only so many ways to answer these same questions...if everyone with a question did some reading first, everyone would get smarter faster)

http://www.evilbore.com/forum/index.php?topic=30713.0

vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2009, 06:38:53 AM »
archie - the link to your new program appears to be broken. Stronglifts is a great program, and you should be able to keep doing it productively for much longer than 2 months. Why are you burned out on it? Did it make you excessively tired and sore, or did you just get bored? Or just plain wuss out? (it happens to most of us; may as well admit it if so)

edit: never mind, it finally loaded. Your old program looks a LOT better than your new one. The new one is the typical high volume, low weights, one billion isolation exercise crap that everyone does at some point, although it's only suited for a few people (serious bodybuilders with an emphasis on aesthetics rather than strength and conditioning).

If you're trying to lose 30lbs, you DO NOT need to achieve "the best pump you possibly can", quite the opposite. This program will, relative to other programs you could be doing, not get you strong, not get you fit or help you lose weight (your diet will do that if you stick to it - what you have there is pretty good).

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 06:45:12 AM by Cormacaroni »
vjj

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2009, 07:30:12 AM »
Still doing Stronglifts after 4 months or so, but I need to find a new gym.
jon

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2009, 08:40:15 AM »
I'd love to try out Rman's fasting as a good way to regulate leptin, but I do really ball-busting HIIT 4 times a week and it turns me into a ravenous food monster for a good 24 hours afterwards, making fasting hard to fit in.

I'm going to start stronglifts 5x5 in January to satisfy my workplace's "healthy living rebate" stuff for the new year. Which in turn will go to getting me a Logitech G27 (a reward for my toil!).

Check out intermittent fasting. Once or twice a week, you eat the same amount of food as you'd normally eat, but in a smaller window (typically in the evening).

Also, Dec. 30 is almost the only date on the calendar when I will let any procrastination on starting a fitness routine until January stand without mocking openly :lol
vjj

archie4208

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2009, 08:43:57 AM »
archie - the link to your new program appears to be broken. Stronglifts is a great program, and you should be able to keep doing it productively for much longer than 2 months. Why are you burned out on it? Did it make you excessively tired and sore, or did you just get bored? Or just plain wuss out? (it happens to most of us; may as well admit it if so)

edit: never mind, it finally loaded. Your old program looks a LOT better than your new one. The new one is the typical high volume, low weights, one billion isolation exercise crap that everyone does at some point, although it's only suited for a few people (serious bodybuilders with an emphasis on aesthetics rather than strength and conditioning).

If you're trying to lose 30lbs, you DO NOT need to achieve "the best pump you possibly can", quite the opposite. This program will, relative to other programs you could be doing, not get you strong, not get you fit or help you lose weight (your diet will do that if you stick to it - what you have there is pretty good).

I was getting uber bored on Stronglifts.  I lost a ton of motivation and my lifts were suffering like hell and I need some variety.  I don't like that program totally and have made some adjustments (I cut the redundant exercises and am only doing 8-10 reps pet set.  I tried the 15,15,12,10 the first day and nothankyou).

edit:  Now that I think of it, I think my squat technique (which I have always had a problem with) went to hell with the more weight I added to it.  I was really drained after my squats and really half assed the rest of the exercises.  Do you have any advice?  I went from squatting ~75 lbs to ~185 within 2 months on SL.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 08:46:28 AM by archie4208 »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2009, 08:54:06 AM »

If you don't know whether you can build your forearms and wrists (you can), chances are extremely high that you also need to work on the rest of your body as well. But it's good to have concrete, achievable goals no matter how arbitrary so let's look at what you can do.

- deadlifts. These are awesome for your whole body, and when you get up there in weight, your grip strength will be a major limiting factor. If you can't maintain your grip, you won't get the barbell off the floor, no matter how strong your legs, core and back are. It is impossible to deadlift 2x-2.5x your bodyweight and still have weak forearms and a weak grip. Learn to deadlift.

- kipping pull-ups. With regular or deadhang pull-ups, most people's arms/back give out long before their forearms/grip does (i.e. they get to the point where they can't lift themselves up any more long before they are in any danger of falling off the bar). With kipping pull-ups, grip becomes the major limiting factor for many people (for those with a strong grip, general systemic fatigue becomes the limiting factor). It is impossible to be able to do 20 straight kipping pull-ups without decently strong forearms and wrists. Learn to do kipping pull-ups. You can never have too many. 100 would be nice!

[youtube=560,345]6YByZOBUB1o[/youtube]

Kettlebell swings are also pretty awesome for grip strength. Just grab one and start swinging.

Note that all three of these are full-body, compound exercises that will help you get stronger and fitter generally if you do them hard, and do them right.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2009, 09:05:12 AM »

I was getting uber bored on Stronglifts.  I lost a ton of motivation and my lifts were suffering like hell and I need some variety.  I don't like that program totally and have made some adjustments (I cut the redundant exercises and am only doing 8-10 reps pet set.  I tried the 15,15,12,10 the first day and nothankyou).

edit:  Now that I think of it, I think my squat technique (which I have always had a problem with) went to hell with the more weight I added to it.  I was really drained after my squats and really half assed the rest of the exercises.  Do you have any advice?  I went from squatting ~75 lbs to ~185 within 2 months on SL.

Squatting is really hard, man. This is why experienced trainers recommend silly bullshit like preacher curls instead. They know that squatting is a lot more effective, and obviates the need for those dozens of other exercises, but they also know that nobody can walk into a gym and learn how to squat properly in one session. They also know that the people who know how to squat don't want to do it, because it's so mentally and physically hard.

The good news is that you have a ton of upside left. You are barely squatting bodyweight at this point, so you should be able to add 90-100lbs to that for 5 reps. If you've been half-assing the reps so far, you haven't been getting the real benefit of the program at all yet, since it's predicated on maximum effort in each and every lift. (i.e. it starts hard and it never gets easy).

The bad news is that you're not going to get better at it without getting someone to take a look at your squat. There could be any number of problems with the way you're doing it. My own squat is pretty damn solid, and I'd have no qualms about fixing yours, but I need to see it to really give you any constructive feedback. The best thing you can do on your own is look for squat clinic vids by people like Mark Rippetoe on youtube. Don't look at bodybuilders like Ronnie Coleman - their squat is something different entirely.

edit: here's one to get you started - [youtube=560,345]yha2XAc2qu8[/youtube]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 09:08:50 AM by Cormacaroni »
vjj

archie4208

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2009, 09:10:38 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  I've been giving it my all with the squats (and noticing some good gains in that area aesthetic wise) and half assing everything else.  I probably just need to man the fuck up and try harder. :lol  I think I'm going to just finish that plan I previously linked this week and try to step back and analyze my squat technique and go back to SL next week.  (also I have a cold so I don't think I can handle SL this week).

Kestastrophe

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2009, 09:13:50 AM »
Record a video and post it on here. I would still be doing squats wrong if Draft and Cormac hadn't looked over the vids I posted months back
jon

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2009, 09:17:34 AM »
Sounds like a plan. Learning the squat is analogous to learning a kick - you will constantly be learning something new and reassessing how you do it and figuring out how to do it better. I made a major breakthrough with mine last week in terms of both technique and weight, after doing it for about 2 yrs. It need not be boring!

And yes, manning the fuck up is what it's all about, baby. That's what we're here for, to become MEN and not boys.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2009, 09:18:36 AM »
Record a video and post it on here. I would still be doing squats wrong if Draft and Cormac hadn't looked over the vids I posted months back

would love to see the "after" vid too, if you get a chance!
vjj

archie4208

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2009, 09:20:36 AM »
I don't personally have any video recording equipment, but I will ask my friends about that some time today.  Worse comes to worse, I'll ask people at the Y to critique my technique.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2009, 09:24:36 AM »
I don't personally have any video recording equipment, but I will ask my friends about that some time today.  Worse comes to worse, I'll ask people at the Y to critique my technique.

A digital camera is all you need, but yeah, asking muscleheads at the Y is a great way to get help. If your PC is broke, ask a dork. If your squat is broke, ask a muscle-bound goon.
vjj

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2009, 09:52:24 AM »
5'5"-6"  Somewhere in there.   :-*

143.7 lbs on the scale this morning after piss.  :piss

Need to get my abs in order and build some muscles on my arms.  :punch

Just do some free weights and yoga?
:)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2009, 11:19:15 AM »
Free weights and yoga are both awesome but hard to say more than that. Your concept of free weights may differ from mine.
Sounds like you'll have a licence to eat more though!
vjj

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2009, 11:34:36 AM »
I'm doing strength conditioning every Sunday (small weights, crunches, medicine ball, etc.) and lifting/machines in the middle of the week. Doing cardio three to four times a week. I broke the 3 mile barrier on the elliptical the last two days.
PSP

cool breeze

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2009, 01:02:47 PM »

If you don't know whether you can build your forearms and wrists (you can), chances are extremely high that you also need to work on the rest of your body as well. But it's good to have concrete, achievable goals no matter how arbitrary so let's look at what you can do.

- deadlifts. These are awesome for your whole body, and when you get up there in weight, your grip strength will be a major limiting factor. If you can't maintain your grip, you won't get the barbell off the floor, no matter how strong your legs, core and back are. It is impossible to deadlift 2x-2.5x your bodyweight and still have weak forearms and a weak grip. Learn to deadlift.

- kipping pull-ups. With regular or deadhang pull-ups, most people's arms/back give out long before their forearms/grip does (i.e. they get to the point where they can't lift themselves up any more long before they are in any danger of falling off the bar). With kipping pull-ups, grip becomes the major limiting factor for many people (for those with a strong grip, general systemic fatigue becomes the limiting factor). It is impossible to be able to do 20 straight kipping pull-ups without decently strong forearms and wrists. Learn to do kipping pull-ups. You can never have too many. 100 would be nice!

[youtube=560,345]6YByZOBUB1o[/youtube]

Kettlebell swings are also pretty awesome for grip strength. Just grab one and start swinging.

Note that all three of these are full-body, compound exercises that will help you get stronger and fitter generally if you do them hard, and do them right.

Thanks.  The kipping pull-ups seem feasible without having to go out and buy more stuff.

yeah you can, take a dumb bell in your hand, sit down rest your arm palm facing up on your thigh, scoot it up so your wrist is hanging down, do mini curls, voila

Also thanks.  I'll try that too.

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2009, 01:07:11 PM »
OP,

You should consider injecting some creatine into your daily routine for muscle development. If you're looking for a good product, this is the best one, IMO, http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Creatine-Powder-Grams/dp/B002IFBGJ4. You can buy it from BB.com, as well, and stack it with your protein shake since it's tasteless (I know, I know -- a lot of companies will say their shit is tasteless, but this is the real deal).

I also need a good leg workout plan. I fucked my back up doing squats and I don't plan on revisiting that particular workout...ever. It doesn't matter how strong you think you are or how perfect your form is 99% of the time -- if you fuck up once, you'll be in a world of pain. Can someone possibly recommend a leg strength training exercise, preferably free weights, that doesn't also target the lower back?

drew

• sy
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2009, 01:10:55 PM »
yeah, inject that shit straight into your balls, i hear its wicked sweet

Kestastrophe

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2009, 01:43:23 PM »
Can someone possibly recommend a leg strength training exercise, preferably free weights, that doesn't also target the lower back?
I doubt it. And about creatine, I was under the impression that the effects of it aren't really known (in general and as it pertains to muscle growth).
jon

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2009, 01:53:08 PM »
Can someone possibly recommend a leg strength training exercise, preferably free weights, that doesn't also target the lower back?
I doubt it. And about creatine, I was under the impression that the effects of it aren't really known (in general and as it pertains to muscle growth).

I'm using it (I'm not loading now, however), and I've noticed some nice results, and it's really appreciated in bodybuilding communities like BB.com.

I suppose I'll use non free weight, then. I've never been one to use bitchness machines, but I'm not fucking up my back any more than it is.

Chinner

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2009, 02:06:49 PM »
from what i've read a lot of people are quite fond of HITT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

Kestastrophe

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2009, 02:10:28 PM »
I suppose I'll use non free weight, then. I've never been one to use bitchness machines, but I'm not fucking up my back any more than it is.
If your back is effed, why can't you do some back centric lifts (i.e. good mornings) to strengthen it? Or is it more severe than simple discomfort?
jon

archie4208

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2009, 02:22:45 PM »
from what i've read a lot of people are quite fond of HITT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

HIIT is awesome.  I have the attention span of a fruit fly and get bored of cardio after 20 minutes.  The only downside is that you are totally drained afterward.  If you aren't on the verge of puking after your HIIT session, you didn't work hard enough.

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2009, 02:27:51 PM »
Where is your back fucked up?  Upper? Lower?

Lower. I messed it up doing squats with poor form, I'm assuming. In all my years doing it, I've never felt the post-workout pain that I suffered then as a result. It lasted 2 months and now I can't execute certain movements without feeling some discomfort there. I'm afraid if I resume a squat workout, I'll cause some serious irreparable damage to my back.

« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2009, 02:34:15 PM »
Do you ever feel the pain going into your leg, or is it focused on your back entirely?

My back entirely. If I lifted my leg or tried to bend down, I'd feel a sharp pain focused on my lower back. And this lasted for 2 mos. There's no longer that sharp, focused pain any more, just some discomfort in the same area as before.

drew

• sy
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2009, 02:44:08 PM »
lol

nvm
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 02:48:27 PM by drew »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2009, 05:51:52 PM »
Do you ever feel the pain going into your leg, or is it focused on your back entirely?

My back entirely. If I lifted my leg or tried to bend down, I'd feel a sharp pain focused on my lower back. And this lasted for 2 mos. There's no longer that sharp, focused pain any more, just some discomfort in the same area as before.

What did the doctor say? You DID see a doctor, right? Tell me you saw a doctor.
vjj

« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2009, 06:08:40 PM »

What did the doctor say? You DID see a doctor, right? Tell me you saw a doctor.

My doctor is a pencil-neck, beta male, and I didn't have to visit him to know what his diagnosis would be. "You should stop lifting." He's been telling me to stay away from weights for years.

Anyway, I'm fine and I can run/walk/jump perfectly. It's just when I twist at a certain angle or stretch I feel a little off. Whether it's permanent, or I'm at the final recovery stage of my injury, I don't know, but I feel a lot better than I did 3 months ago.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2009, 07:04:56 PM »
That's not a diagnosis. A diagnosis is where he tells you what the problem is. A course of treatment could include "stop lifting" but that's something the two of you can agree on AFTER you find out wtf is wrong. If it's a permanent, serious problem, you need to find out what it is. If it isn't, then you're overreacting and missing out on the greatest strength-building exercise known to man. This is worth taking the time to find out.
vjj

duckman2000

« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2009, 07:26:50 PM »
Also, if you don't trust your doctor to offer the best treatment, it might be a good idea to find another doctor.

« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2009, 07:27:43 PM »
That's not a diagnosis. A diagnosis is where he tells you what the problem is. A course of treatment could include "stop lifting" but that's something the two of you can agree on AFTER you find out wtf is wrong. If it's a permanent, serious problem, you need to find out what it is. If it isn't, then you're overreacting and missing out on the greatest strength-building exercise known to man. This is worth taking the time to find out.

Well, the fact that I'm no longer in pain and am in solid condition is a good indication that the injury was probably just muscular, not skeletal. My chief concern isn't that I'll reaggravate the injury but that I would repeat the same series of events that lead to it. I was using a belt, with perfect form, and I still managed to hurt myself. I don't know wtf I did wrong.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2009, 09:22:31 PM »
Maybe you had a pre-existing condition. Maybe it would cause similar injury doing any number of other exercises. Maybe your form isn't perfect (no-one's form is perfect outside of the Olympics). Maybe you should GO SEE A DOCTOR.

I know this comes off as sanctimonious. It is the only reasonable advice that anyone can offer you though. I'm not going to be giving out any advice on fitness routines to someone who may have a serious back condition but won't get it checked out. What could anyone possibly recommend? Any form of meaningful exercise bar possibly swimming will involve potential reinjury.
vjj

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2009, 09:35:46 PM »
I need to drop about 10-15 that I gained this year by being a lazy junkeating fuck.  I went from a trim 140 to a pudgemiddle 155.
sup

archie4208

« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2009, 01:22:31 PM »
Cormacaroni thanks a ton for convincing me to stay on SL.  I had a great workout today with a renewed focus on my squats.  I only did 185 (I'm not at 100% due to recovering from my cold), but watching that vid you linked in this thread made me feel a burn in places I haven't felt. :lol

I do have a few questions though:

1) SL suggests pullups being 3 sets to failure, but I can literally only do 1-3 pullups per set.  Should I add more sets or accept I'll get stronger with time?

2) SL also suggests doing cardio right after lifting if you are going for fat loss.  I've always heard this is a bad idea.  Should I just bring my protein shake, down it after my lifts and then do cardio or wait until the evening to do it?