Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 817075 times)

Rman

Re: FitnessBore - 2010 edition
« Reply #900 on: March 05, 2010, 01:12:10 PM »
Some Dannon strawberry yogurt.

I try their Light and Fit yogurt, but sometimes that stuff gives me the shits.
Dude, go full fat Greek Yogurt, top with blueberries and you'll be in heaven.  Low fat, watery yogurt is garbage.  Don't worry about the fat content, since full fat yogurt is low in carbs and has no sugar, other than the natural milk sugars.  

cool breeze

« Reply #901 on: March 05, 2010, 01:19:51 PM »
I actually like 2% more than full fat greek yogurt.  fat free taste like regular plain yogurst.

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #902 on: March 05, 2010, 01:22:24 PM »
It's actually a bit difficult to find full fat Greek yogurt around here. It's either 2% or fat free, with the only exception being Fage Total, which is rarely in stock in stores (and also costs twice as much as other brands).

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #903 on: March 05, 2010, 01:26:04 PM »
mmmm  just bought a yogurt for me to eat in a couple of hours.  mmmmmmmmm

« Reply #904 on: March 05, 2010, 01:32:56 PM »
It's actually a bit difficult to find full fat Greek yogurt around here. It's either 2% or fat free, with the only exception being Fage Total, which is rarely in stock in stores (and also costs twice as much as other brands).

Whole Foods and Trader Joes both have it.
野球

Rman

« Reply #905 on: March 05, 2010, 01:38:08 PM »
We get big containers of fish oil pills at Costco. Not sure who makes them.
Kirkland, I believe.

Kirkland is just Costco's store brand (and the name of the city they're based out of), someone else makes it for them.
Oh, ok.  I didn't know that.  The Costco store brand is very popular amongst xfitters.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #906 on: March 05, 2010, 06:34:32 PM »
It was on ABC news (I think, could have been some other news show)

http://www.alternet.org/health/145916/fish_oil_supplements_--_want_pcbs_with_that

Basically, eat real (fatty) fish

spoiler (click to show/hide)
But watch out for mercury in the most commonly available good, fatty fish. lulz
[close]

This is why you want pharmaceutical grade fish oil.
vjj

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #907 on: March 05, 2010, 06:38:34 PM »
any of guys building muscle mass? what do eat before/after your workout?

Its more important that you provide your body with a steady stream of protein, carbs and calories throughout the day. I don't believe there's any beneficial effects of protein intake before or after a workout (as in faster protein processing). Now eating fruit for quick energy burst and drinking water for hydration isn't a bad idea.
:9

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #908 on: March 05, 2010, 06:43:02 PM »

Dude, go full fat Greek Yogurt, top with blueberries and you'll be in heaven.  Low fat, watery yogurt is garbage.  Don't worry about the fat content, since full fat yogurt is low in carbs and has no sugar, other than the natural milk sugars.  

How many times has this come up now? I'm losing track! :lol
vjj

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #909 on: March 05, 2010, 06:47:32 PM »
Man, I wonder what havoc a dollop of Greek Yogurt would have on the internals of a lactose intolerant person? Would it even effect them? I've seen something as benign as 1% Milk cause a lactose intolerant person to become a real life koffing. I'm happy I haven't regressed into my parents and sisters state of lactose intolerance, love my whole milk.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 06:49:19 PM by BlueTsunami »

Rman

« Reply #910 on: March 05, 2010, 06:48:52 PM »
Not much.  The fermentation process nullifies much of the digestive issues even in lactose intolerant persons.

We should just make a thread. LOL.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #911 on: March 05, 2010, 06:50:48 PM »
Not much.  The fermentation process nullifies much of the digestive issues even in lactose intolerant persons.

Ahhh, figured as much. I need to get into healthy things I can quickly grab, instead of replacing all of it with a can of coke.

archie4208

« Reply #912 on: March 05, 2010, 06:51:17 PM »
Only one store in my entire town sells Greek Yogurt, and it is the fat free kind. :'(

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #913 on: March 05, 2010, 07:08:28 PM »
any of guys building muscle mass? what do eat before/after your workout?
Since I lift in the mornings, I eat eggs before working out, and I always have a protein shake with whole milk immediately afterwards. And I eat every three hours
jon

duckman2000

« Reply #914 on: March 05, 2010, 07:19:31 PM »

We should just make a thread. LOL.

A nutrition thread might not be a bad idea, really. Not sure if it's needed in a small forum like this, and I like talking about food, but a little FAQ might be useful.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #915 on: March 05, 2010, 07:31:25 PM »

Ahhh, figured as much. I need to get into healthy things I can quickly grab, instead of replacing all of it with a can of coke.

Aside: Rippotoe was once asked by a lactose intolerant kid if he could substitute yoghurt for the recommended gallon of milk a day. The answer was "Gallon of yoghurt" :lol

The weird thing is, I feel like I could do that most days :lol Michael from Burn Notice has nothing on me.
vjj

cool breeze

« Reply #916 on: March 05, 2010, 07:43:29 PM »

Is there a common brand or do you have any recommendations? also, what exactly is the difference?

yeah, Trader Joes has full fat Fage for ~$1.80.  They also have the Trader Joe brand greek yogurt that come in big tubs and you get more value, but I don't think it taste as good as fage.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #917 on: March 05, 2010, 07:46:10 PM »

Aside: Rippotoe was once asked by a lactose intolerant kid if he could substitute yoghurt for the recommended gallon of milk a day. The answer was "Gallon of yoghurt" :lol

The weird thing is, I feel like I could do that most days :lol Michael from Burn Notice has nothing on me.

:lol

And I'm a believer in the powers of Milk and training. When I was hitting the weights hard, my gym buddies were wondering why I was making gains fairly quickly.... unsurprisingly I was the only one that was constantly drinking 1/3 Gallon of milk nearly everyday. Not the full gallon but still. That or genes, I don't know.

Oblivion

« Reply #918 on: March 05, 2010, 08:24:10 PM »
Is it a better idea to do a lot of pushups all at once, or to do smaller sets (say 20 pushups 5 times a day) throughout the day?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #919 on: March 05, 2010, 08:34:03 PM »

Is there a common brand or do you have any recommendations? also, what exactly is the difference?

yeah, Trader Joes has full fat Fage for ~$1.80.  They also have the Trader Joe brand greek yogurt that come in big tubs and you get more value, but I don't think it taste as good as fage.

http://www.ascentahealth.com/products/human/nutrasea-hp-200-ml#details

For example. The mercury scare I think is overrated - I've read that you get as much exposure to mercury walking around outside in a typical big city. Also, the mercury shouldn't be present in the oil - it'll be in the flesh of the fish.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #920 on: March 05, 2010, 08:34:46 PM »
Is it a better idea to do a lot of pushups all at once, or to do smaller sets (say 20 pushups 5 times a day) throughout the day?

Yes.

(serious answer)
vjj

Oblivion

« Reply #921 on: March 05, 2010, 08:56:06 PM »

Yes.

(serious answer)

???

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #922 on: March 05, 2010, 09:05:22 PM »

Yes.

(serious answer)

???

duckman2000

« Reply #923 on: March 05, 2010, 09:18:09 PM »
The mercury scare I think is overrated - I've read that you get as much exposure to mercury walking around outside in a typical big city. Also, the mercury shouldn't be present in the oil - it'll be in the flesh of the fish.

The point is sort of that you don't want that exposure plus the exposure from fish. That's a little bit like saying that smoking is alright since you get exposed to all that arsenic from just living near industry anyway. I personally don't care all that much since there is a limit on how much of this crap an adult can absorb through regular diet anyway, but I'm more cautious about what I feed the kid. Wouldn't stop me from giving her mackerel, but I keep track of where it's caught.

duckman2000

« Reply #924 on: March 05, 2010, 10:25:39 PM »
So I tried a decline dumbbell press thing, and I slid right off the stupid bench. Not my first work-out related accident, but certainly the stupidest. Oh well, it made the kid's day.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #925 on: March 05, 2010, 10:51:20 PM »
:lol :lol Duckman

I was scared I would do that when getting up.

I bought a new fish oil supplement.  It has more per capsule so I don't have to take as many damn pills and it is pharmaceutical grade.  My gym had it pretty cheap too.  A 4 months supply for twenty bucks

Then they also got me to try a creatine supplement.  It was 7 bucks so if I don't get good results I won't mind too much. 

So I don't know if anyone here has ever tried it.  I know basics but I'm not too familiar.  This is what I figured I'd do...

About an hour before my workout I'll take about 2 grams of the powder with some milk.  Then immediately after my workout I'll take about 3 grams with my meal and 30 grams of sugar in my juice.

How about creatine loading?  Should I do it?  Some people say it's not necessary and others say you need to in order to see results.  So I have no idea.  Any advice would be welcomed.

cool breeze

« Reply #926 on: March 05, 2010, 11:14:49 PM »

http://www.ascentahealth.com/products/human/nutrasea-hp-200-ml#details

For example. The mercury scare I think is overrated - I've read that you get as much exposure to mercury walking around outside in a typical big city. Also, the mercury shouldn't be present in the oil - it'll be in the flesh of the fish.

thanks

I found a store near here that carries it.  I'll probably get the one that also has vitamin d instead of the high potency one you linked to.  Two birds, one stone, etc etc.

Oblivion

« Reply #927 on: March 06, 2010, 12:26:37 AM »

Yes.

(serious answer)

???

(Image removed from quote.)

Do what? 100 at once or in smaller sets? He wasn't clear.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #928 on: March 06, 2010, 12:50:30 AM »
jesus, try exercising your brain sometime. Do both!

And if you can do a set of 100, as i've mentioned several times in this thread already, it's time to move on to something more challenging.

vjj

duckman2000

« Reply #929 on: March 06, 2010, 12:55:14 AM »
Or add something to it, like dumbbell rows. If you can do 100 of those with 50lb dumbbells, you may want to just go live in the jungle for a while.

Oblivion

« Reply #930 on: March 06, 2010, 01:22:03 AM »
jesus, try exercising your brain sometime.

Hrmph.  :maf

And if you can do a set of 100, as i've mentioned several times in this thread already, it's time to move on to something more challenging.

I've only posted in this thread like 3 or 4 times, and considering that it's 20 pages, forgive me if I've missed you mentioning it before. AIGHT?! :punch

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #931 on: March 06, 2010, 01:31:56 AM »
it wouldn't be 20 pgs if it wasn't for everybody asking the same questions over and over :teehee

ok, you get a pass this time. Now drop down and give me 50!
vjj

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #932 on: March 07, 2010, 01:10:15 PM »
Cormac, I did some measurements today. Thought you'd might be interested.

I carved 2% off my BMI since January 17th. I didn't think that was a lot, but I was told it was progress. Now I shaved off two inches from my hips, three inches from my waist and two inches from my chest (against measurements taken 01/17) - but I gained an inch on my bicep, an inch on my thigh and an inch on my calf. That was kind of deflating. All in all, I've lost 20 lbs. since January 17th.

My goal is 299 lbs. by June 7th (my brother's birthday).

I also had steak and eggs today, and I thought of you. (I lifted weights today - beat my previous record, so it was well earned).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 03:45:26 PM by The Fake Shemp »
PSP

cool breeze

« Reply #933 on: March 07, 2010, 01:15:57 PM »
Liquid fish oil taste is just rancid tasting stuff :lol

It's like the funk of ten-thousand fish in your mouth at the same time, then there is an aftertaste of apple.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #934 on: March 07, 2010, 03:32:31 PM »
Mine comes in capsules and I don't taste anything

Will: the added size could be contributed to muscle growth pushing your fat out further. It seems to be in line with the workouts you have been doing

Yesterday was my first day of taking creatine. My chest and arms are definitely swollen. My mother in law even asked about it today. I also apparently did not drink enough water yesterday. I kept waking up all night and having to get water. I was dehydrated as fuck and had a headache this morning. I gotta be careful. They say I should drink around two gallons each day of water.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #935 on: March 07, 2010, 07:29:07 PM »
...or not take creatine. What is the point of it again?
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #936 on: March 07, 2010, 07:33:18 PM »
That it was 7 bucks so I figured why not!  That's really about it. If it doesn't do anything ill just stop taking it. No biggie.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #937 on: March 07, 2010, 07:33:48 PM »
Good job, Willco!

Those big biceps are going to be problem, like duckman's butt. Better get back on the eliptical til that icky muscle melts away!
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #938 on: March 07, 2010, 07:43:21 PM »
That it was 7 bucks so I figured why not!  That's really about it. If it doesn't do anything ill just stop taking it. No biggie.

I applaud this spirit of scientific investigation.
vjj

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #939 on: March 07, 2010, 07:49:33 PM »
Good job, Willco!

Those big biceps are going to be problem, like duckman's butt. Better get back on the eliptical til that icky muscle melts away!

Are you being facetious?
PSP

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #940 on: March 07, 2010, 08:08:19 PM »
 :lol :lol :lol

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #941 on: March 07, 2010, 08:34:39 PM »
Good job, Willco!

Are you being facetious?

:teehee
vjj

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #942 on: March 07, 2010, 09:04:34 PM »
I can't really tell. I would imagine that any significant mass gain would be viewed as a bad thing on my legs. Maybe not arms, but I would hope my legs would shrink.
PSP

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #943 on: March 07, 2010, 09:13:57 PM »
Went trekking in the wooded trails around my apartment for two hours in my Vibrams and man, that shit was a workout in itself. A good amount of muscle groups in my legs felt like they been pushed rather hard. Slowly breaking them in and getting used to the outside barefoot walking before I run.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #944 on: March 07, 2010, 09:27:51 PM »
I can't really tell. I would imagine that any significant mass gain would be viewed as a bad thing on my legs. Maybe not arms, but I would hope my legs would shrink.

It might, if you keep gaining an inch every month. But that's pretty unlikely, since you're not doing anything to promote huge muscle growth. More likely you'll just keep losing fat and they'll shrink, as will the rest of you. I don't know anything much about this level of fat loss though.
vjj

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #945 on: March 07, 2010, 09:35:59 PM »
Hey I lift weights! I do the machines once a week, and work with my 20 lb. dumbbells every other day! On Sunday, I do a fake-me-out deadlifts and hammer curls and chest presses and stuff! Also, I bought a new dumbbell set with removable plate and I did bicep curls with a 35 lb. dumbbell (which is new for me).

I try! I mean, I'm no you, but I am trying.

In terms of my lower body, I've been doing squats, but I don't know if that builds muscle.

It was just weird that I lost three inches on my thigh and calf, and then gained an inch on both a month and a half later. Y'know?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 09:37:39 PM by The Fake Shemp »
PSP

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #946 on: March 07, 2010, 10:08:41 PM »
You need to understand that in context, Willco. Gaining an inch of muscle on your biceps is a pretty huge amount of muscle - Arnie said you need to gain 10lbs in bodyweight for each inch you want to add to your biceps. You are lifting weights, yes, but you are not lifting weights on that scale. Few people are. That's why I say it's unlikely to continue.
vjj

duckman2000

« Reply #947 on: March 07, 2010, 10:17:39 PM »
Good job, Willco!

I'm alright with it now, my new pants make it work!

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #948 on: March 08, 2010, 12:18:21 AM »
Pics plz

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #949 on: March 08, 2010, 10:48:45 AM »
So day 2 of creatine.  I thought yesterday was an anomaly, but all my shits are bright green.  They feel really great though!  Also, no more headache since I've been drinking enough water now.  I went and got a two gallon jug that I have sitting next to me at work and I've actually put myself on a water drinking schedule.

Now the bad part, I've gained about 4 pounds in water weight.  My pants feel quite a bit tighter!  I can feel it all in my stomach too.  It doesn't really make me look fat because of the way my body holds water weight.  I just look bloated (can't even tell with a shirt on).  But man, I fucking feel it.  Tonight will be my weight lifting night again and I'll finally get to see if I get any difference. 

Oh and as far as recovery, usually I'm still a bit sore at this point.  I feel fucking great.  No soreness.  None.  Whatsoever.  I was sore yesterday, but it's completely gone today.

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #950 on: March 08, 2010, 07:04:06 PM »
I got a friend of mine going at the same gym as me now, so it's easier now. Today i ran 2.5 km in 15 min, it was cool.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #951 on: March 09, 2010, 01:42:25 AM »
Soooo... tonight was pretty fucking great.

I hit the gym and I felt damn fantastic.  I got some great results.  I breezed through my bench press.  My deadlift is now at 165 and it felt incredible.  Squat was pretty amazing.  I just felt good.  I just felt like I breezed through all of it.  I've been having a lot of good days recently.  :D

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #952 on: March 09, 2010, 01:51:30 AM »
Squat, deadlift and press is a proven recipe for feeling great, man :D

I bet you're sleeping like a log too. It's almost impossible not to.
vjj

Rman

« Reply #953 on: March 09, 2010, 02:34:04 AM »
Squat, deadlift, bench press and power clean were the four big ones our coach made us do when I played football. Shit works. I haven't done a deadlift or clean since high school though.
Your coach knew his stuff.  I'd add a standing overhead press and maybe some dips and pull ups and you're all set.

Green Shinobi

« Reply #954 on: March 09, 2010, 02:46:29 AM »
Oh yeah, dips, overhead press and a few others were in there, but those were the big four.

When I think about what better shape I was then (10 years ago now), I feel like one of those RPG characters who's lost all of his power in between saving the world and the start of the sequel.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 02:57:17 AM by Green Shinobi »

Green Shinobi

« Reply #955 on: March 09, 2010, 03:00:58 AM »
http://boringoldraphael.tumblr.com/post/151808014/rule-number-one-is-dont-be-a-dick

I'm not giving anyone tips, you fucking cunt. I haven't lifted seriously in years, and there are others who are far more qualified to do that. I'm wasting time casually shooting the shit on a message board. I don't expect to be attacked for making posts that serve only to back up what other posters have already said in this thread.

What the fuck is your problem, seriously?

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #956 on: March 09, 2010, 07:05:08 AM »
I feel like one of those RPG characters who's lost all of his power in between saving the world and the start of the sequel.
:teehee

Interesting article on artificial vs natural sweeteners:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704706304575107560929031460.html

The Corn Refiners Association has been running television ads that try to counter the perception that the syrup is inferior. On its Web site, www.sweetsurprise.com, the association says high fructose corn syrup "is simply a kind of corn sugar. It has the same number of calories as sugar and is handled similarly by the body."

fud?
jon

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #957 on: March 09, 2010, 07:07:52 AM »
Saying it is the same as sugar is hardly a ringing endorsement, dude. Refined sugar is about as bad as it gets, nutritionally-speaking.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #958 on: March 09, 2010, 09:55:09 AM »
Squat, deadlift and press is a proven recipe for feeling great, man :D

I bet you're sleeping like a log too. It's almost impossible not to.
Oh yes.  I sleep great!  Thanks for all your advice, man!  I made more progress in the last month than I did in two months on my own. 

I also figured that due to my work schedule and whatnot, it will be really hard to meet my protein requirement everyday.  So I've bought a bottle of whey protein.  On days that I won't be making it I'll go ahead and supplement with the protein after my workout.  I'd rather get it with real foods, but I figure getting it from the protein shake is better than not getting it at all.

duckman2000

« Reply #959 on: March 09, 2010, 11:14:39 AM »
Thanks for the insight, GS.  Any other tips from your time in freshman football?

http://boringoldraphael.tumblr.com/post/151808014/rule-number-one-is-dont-be-a-dick

I'm not giving anyone tips, you fucking cunt. I haven't lifted seriously in years, and there are others who are far more qualified to do that. I'm wasting time casually shooting the shit on a message board. I don't expect to be attacked for making posts that serve only to back up what other posters have already said in this thread.

What the fuck is your problem, seriously?

Am I missing something here?