Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 817080 times)

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Re: FitnessBore - 2011 edition
« Reply #2520 on: May 31, 2011, 01:06:29 AM »
Wow, that's really encouraging!  I'm gonna give it a shot immediately tomorrow!  Thanks a ton man!

How tall are you, skidmark?  Curious.

I'm 5'11 at 140 now.  And damn, I'ma have to buy a fuckton of milk :-/
püp

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #2521 on: May 31, 2011, 01:15:26 AM »
anyone here tried Zumba? I played the Kinect game last night and it seems like a good aerobic workout.

Skidmark

« Reply #2522 on: May 31, 2011, 01:26:26 AM »
Wow, that's really encouraging!  I'm gonna give it a shot immediately tomorrow!  Thanks a ton man!

How tall are you, skidmark?  Curious.

I'm 5'11 at 140 now.  And damn, I'ma have to buy a fuckton of milk :-/
185 or 184 cm, that's 6 feet I think.
The dude at the local store will start to give you a weird look if you buy nothing but a whole gallon of milk every morning for several months in a row  :lol
In the beginning you might find yourself unable to yawn because your stomach is full. You might also have wet dreams about drinking milk off a girls face, I did. :P
Your friends might also start milk jokes about you but they will all shut up when you start showing some progress.

Don't start drinking all that milk until you start working out or you will just get fat. I mean don't start gomad now and then start SL 5x5 2 weeks later.
Also, sometimes skipping breakfast will feel better than a bj. The worst thing you can do is keep telling yourself that you will eat after you just do this or that, you will never eat it. and don't let your plate lay in front of you forever until you find something to watch while you eat. Just eat.
use http://www.fitday.com/ to get an idea about how many calories you are consuming on average every day:

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2523 on: May 31, 2011, 01:41:32 AM »
Nice!  Yeah it might take me a little longer than you, just because I don't know if I can afford something like this just yet.  So I may just do half a gallon a day or something.  And yeah, I actually don't eat breakfast all that much --when I wake up I usually just grab a banana and head off to class. 

Do you go to a gym or do you have your own weights?  That's another issue of mine: I have a barbell and weights, but they're real shitty.  Only goes up to...100 lbs I think, I lost some of the weights.  My thing is that I'm not really looking forward to going to a gym unless I have some friends with me, because I'm a bit self-conscious and I'm not a fan of those jacked as hell dudes who are ALWAYS at the gym.
püp

Skidmark

« Reply #2524 on: May 31, 2011, 02:00:00 AM »
Nice!  Yeah it might take me a little longer than you, just because I don't know if I can afford something like this just yet.  So I may just do half a gallon a day or something.  And yeah, I actually don't eat breakfast all that much --when I wake up I usually just grab a banana and head off to class. 

Do you go to a gym or do you have your own weights?  That's another issue of mine: I have a barbell and weights, but they're real shitty.  Only goes up to...100 lbs I think, I lost some of the weights.  My thing is that I'm not really looking forward to going to a gym unless I have some friends with me, because I'm a bit self-conscious and I'm not a fan of those jacked as hell dudes who are ALWAYS at the gym.
Yeah I do:

A bench press bench and a whole bunch of weights. Its was enough for me but now I want to do dips, chin ups and other exercises that I can't do at home. I have to admit that I really enjoyed working out at home, a lot less pressure, you get to enjoy all the time, space and privacy you want.
Its actually better to train with someone even if you work out at home, I become more confident to left heavier when there is someone who is going to spot me and help me if I get stuck.
I'm sure you know a couple of guys who already work out at gym, discuss the idea with them. Also jacked dudes here are really cool, its more the jersey shore looking dudes that are douchebags here. The older ones tend to be a lot friendlier.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2525 on: May 31, 2011, 09:56:47 AM »
anyone here tried Zumba? I played the Kinect game last night and it seems like a good aerobic workout.
uhhh  I watch my wife do it.  She has the Kinect game and she goes to classes with her sister.  All chicks, bro.  And the dances are female club (reggaeton, bachata, cumbia, etc) moves.  Maybe you were being facetious.  If not, please stop :(

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2526 on: May 31, 2011, 08:29:23 PM »
At this point, a 'good aerobic workout' is an oxymoron as far as I'm concerned
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2527 on: May 31, 2011, 10:23:23 PM »

btw, you should be aware before starting that this isn't really a program that scales down. You HAVE to lift as heavy as you possibly can. You HAVE to eat as much as you possibly can. If you don't eat, you can't lift. If you can't lift, your body won't send the right signals to convert all those extra calories into lean muscle and you'll just get fat. (you also won't have the appetite, which is probably going to be a major issue for you anyway)

In some ways, it's the perfect program for total newbies, because you will get an incredible amount out of it, and it's relatively simple. But on the other hand, it's incredibly hard and takes a lot of commitment to both lifting, eating and recovery, so not really for people who don't have defined goals or lack determination (I did 6 months of a similar program so I'm not totally talking out of my ass here).
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2528 on: June 01, 2011, 07:42:52 AM »
So I've been doing strength training since January.  I'm starting to get concerned though.  I haven't lost any weight since the middle of March.  I've been hovering in the same range (+/- 5 lbs) ever since.  Some weeks I'll lose 6 lbs, but then I'll put it right back on by the next week.  Granted, I've been weighing in at different times and different days lately because of schedule changes, but I'm not sure it should fluctuate that much.  (Keep in mind that I'm still a big guy so losing 6 lbs in a week doesn't really surprise me)

The thing that baffles me is that people say that I'm still getting thinner.   ???

I have to wonder if this is just a stage where I'm building muscle so the weight isn't disappearing, or if that whole "muscle weighs more than fat" thing is all just bullshit.

[Edit] Let me add the parts that Cormac is going to ask about.

Yes, I'm using creatine right now.  But I've only been using it a little over a couple of weeks now.

I try to strength train at least 3 times a week.  I know this is more than Mark Sisson suggests, but it makes me feel better.  I try to do it every other day.

I am still getting in at least 2 hours of accumulative cardio a week if not more.

I have a protein shake (8oz water + 1 scoop of Whey Protein Complex) after every workout.

I eat mostly paleo.  I try not to eat any processed foods unless I don't have a choice (and I usually do have a choice).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 07:55:42 AM by andrwfields »
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2529 on: June 01, 2011, 07:56:57 AM »
You are changing body comp, so you look thinner. Even though your weight may not be changing that much, you are getting less pear-shaped and more V-shaped as the weight goes in the places it should be (muscle around the shoulders, thighs, arms etc rather than fat around the waist).

What is baffling about this? Didn't you want/expect this to happen? This is why I said to take pics and take measurements, 'cause the scale doesn't tell anything like the whole story. Now you have to trust other people's eyes rather than your own.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2530 on: June 01, 2011, 08:32:22 AM »
I guess I just assumed that even though I was packing on muscle and my body composition was changing that I would still be losing weight, even if it was just a few pounds a month.

But yes, this is what I wanted.  I just want to make sure that I'm constantly on the right track.  And I do take a picture for tracking about once a month.
WTF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2531 on: June 01, 2011, 10:08:33 AM »
yeah, that's not a weight loss diet.  That's a recomp diet.  It goes slowly and for the most part you'll stay around the same weight and slowly trade off fat for muscle and slowly go down in weight.

And +/- 5 lbs in a day is normal.  Throughout the day between food and water and hormonal changes, I gain between 6 and 8 lbs.  The next morning and pissing and shitting and resting I'll be down 6-8 lbs.  Don't worry about it.  Keep your diet and exercise in check and try to weigh yourself less.  I stopped caring.  I weigh myself randomly and I'm stuck around the same weight too (since I quit the Palumbo diet).  But everyone tells me I look smaller and I see it too.  It's just happening more slowly so I'm not using such a drastic diet anymore.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2532 on: June 01, 2011, 10:54:35 AM »
So you guys are saying that it was a bad time to join a Biggest Loser contest at work?   :lol
WTF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2533 on: June 01, 2011, 11:18:52 AM »
:lol  What I'm saying is that if you want to lose weight fast, then you're on the wrong diet.  You're building muscle and weight each time you lift.  You need to keep your food intake up enough to keep that growth up.  You can lose weight by going on a really strict diet and not lifting heavy, but I bet a good amount of the weight you lose is going to be muscle.  If you wanna try to lose a bit more, lower your caloric intake some.  If it doesn't affect your lifts, then you're good to go.  If your lifts start to go down, then you know that you need to eat more.  Play with your diet and see what works.  You should be always trying to tweak it and perfect it. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2534 on: June 01, 2011, 12:10:35 PM »
There are a couple of reasons why I originally suggested weights and slower weight loss (IIRC). The first is that at the kind of weight we are dealing with here, mobility is a serious issue. Getting usefully stronger is going to be faster than losing 150-200lbs. Also, it will help keep motivation up by leading to increased activity and quality of life generally, whereas the kind of heavily restrictive diet you are talking about is almost impossible to stick with for long enough to lose that kind of weight (as I believe you just proved Mr Can't-Eat-Eggs-No-More :teehee).

There is no reason why he can't do a short-term high protein, low fat, low carb rapid weight loss diet if he feels like it though, and feels like he won't go off the wagon totally (which is a concern since he did that before in a major way). Slow and steady just strikes me as the best way to win this particular race. I might be wrong

spoiler (click to show/hide)
hey, there's a first time for everything!
[close]
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2535 on: June 01, 2011, 12:34:03 PM »
Hey now! Im back to eating and enjoying eggs again! 

But to be clear, I wasn't saying I disagreed with his current diet. Shit like palumbos diet is not for everyone. Eating the same thing over and over is tough mentally. And rapid weight loss has a tendency to create a yo-yo effect. I was just telling him his current diet and routine are not appropriate for rapid weight loss. I still stand by my comment about tweaking his diet though. If he needs a little extra motivation then lowering his intake another 300-500 calories isn't bad so long as it doesn't tip him over into starvation and affect his lifts. But only he can know that.  I personally get sick and lose strength below 1800 calories. So I stay between 1800-2200 depending on how much I want to lose or what I want to eat that day. Its good to know your limits as a calorie counter. Not only to maximize weight loss, but there's a nice sense of control you develop when you don't feel like you're at the mercy of every bit of food.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2536 on: June 01, 2011, 12:51:51 PM »
There are a couple of reasons why I originally suggested weights and slower weight loss (IIRC). The first is that at the kind of weight we are dealing with here, mobility is a serious issue. Getting usefully stronger is going to be faster than losing 150-200lbs. Also, it will help keep motivation up by leading to increased activity and quality of life generally, whereas the kind of heavily restrictive diet you are talking about is almost impossible to stick with for long enough to lose that kind of weight (as I believe you just proved Mr Can't-Eat-Eggs-No-More :teehee).

There is no reason why he can't do a short-term high protein, low fat, low carb rapid weight loss diet if he feels like it though, and feels like he won't go off the wagon totally (which is a concern since he did that before in a major way). Slow and steady just strikes me as the best way to win this particular race. I might be wrong

hey, there's a first time for everything!
[close]

You do make a good point.  And you're not wrong about me falling off the wagon in a big way. 

I knew when I tried again that rapid weight-loss wasn't for me.  I also knew that I wanted to get more muscular when I lost weight that way I didn't come out with a dozen folds of skin hanging off of me.  :yuck

But I am doing better this time and I want to keep it that way.  I don't have much of a support system at home because my wife doesn't like eating paleo and my friends and family that do care about health and fitness are all "ewww that's like atkins!  stay away!"  They don't seem to understand that it's working for me even if it is a slow process. 

Just this morning my wife was trying to convince me to get like one of her old friends.  "She eats whatever she wants, but she walks 5 miles a day.  She's lost 70 lbs in the same amount of time that you've lost 50."  And I try to tell her that I think that's great, but I've tried it and it wasn't for me.
WTF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2537 on: June 01, 2011, 12:58:27 PM »
She probably lost muscle too.  She can enjoy being a flabby mushy mess.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2538 on: June 01, 2011, 01:03:29 PM »
I went to college with this girl and she always had a bigger frame and probably weighed between 180-210 lbs.  Then after college she partied hard, then got married, popped out a kid, and ate nothing but Taco Bell for 5 years.  She got to the point where she was catching up with me in size.  Then she divorced and decided to start taking care of herself again.

The way she's going, she might get down to her original weight, but she'll never be back down to her original frame.
WTF

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #2539 on: June 03, 2011, 05:38:44 PM »
I  just wanted to say skimming the diet advice in this thread has greatly contributed to me losing 30 lbs since march, and am on track to be at my ideal weight after the summer.  I guess the only downside is that I feel physically sick when trying to eat the foods I used to love on my monthly cheat day.  But seriously, thanks.
sad

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2540 on: June 04, 2011, 12:58:36 AM »
there ya go!
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2541 on: June 05, 2011, 10:45:16 PM »
Yeah man, when the wife and I move later this year, I'm hoping we can move to a house with a pool or at least a community with a pool.
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2542 on: June 06, 2011, 07:27:30 AM »
KettleBELLS, dude. They sell them on amazon.co.jp now so no excuse.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2543 on: June 06, 2011, 10:12:36 AM »
I have a 16kg and a 24kg - one of each should keep you busy for quite a while.
vjj

Beezy

« Reply #2544 on: June 06, 2011, 11:21:47 AM »
I don't understand why the kettlebells on amazon all look like plastic toys...

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2545 on: June 06, 2011, 11:24:44 AM »
I've tried both uncoated and coated and I prefer the rubber-coated ones. Try grabbing a hunk of solid iron that's been sitting outside on the porch in mid-January sometime. Your hands will be too frozen to pick the fucker up.
vjj

cool breeze

« Reply #2546 on: June 06, 2011, 11:32:15 AM »
what is the advantage of a kettlebell over a dumbell? just more/different workouts?

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #2547 on: June 06, 2011, 07:25:59 PM »
My dad bought a couple of diet/health books and was just talking about them during dinner. It's a Bible-based diet.

:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
AMC

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2548 on: June 06, 2011, 07:43:32 PM »
what is the advantage of a kettlebell over a dumbell? just more/different workouts?

You can use a DB for most things you can use a KB for, but it's kind of a pain in the ass (and if using added weights rather than a fixed weight DB, quite dangerous). If you can get one, you should.
vjj

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2549 on: June 06, 2011, 09:26:41 PM »
I just made an awesome tasting spinach frittata :bow2
🍆🍆

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2550 on: June 07, 2011, 01:23:34 AM »
It's a Bible-based diet.

is the accompanying excercise course Cross-Fit?

not sure if :yuck or :rofl
vjj

lennedsay

• Senior MILF
« Reply #2551 on: June 07, 2011, 01:49:29 AM »
Should've spelled it exorcise instead.
(|)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2552 on: June 07, 2011, 03:00:36 AM »
I see your Cheeto-binging couchsurfing days of unemployment have brought you slinking to us at last, Lennedsay. What can we do for you?
vjj

lennedsay

• Senior MILF
« Reply #2553 on: June 07, 2011, 04:22:35 AM »
I take a pilates class twice a week and I haven't changed out of yoga pants in two weeks. It makes me feel like I'm really doing something productive without doing anything at all.
(|)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2554 on: June 07, 2011, 04:48:00 AM »
that's why I wear shorts all the time. Always ready for action. Never really do anything.
vjj

lennedsay

• Senior MILF
« Reply #2555 on: June 07, 2011, 02:33:36 PM »
Finally changed into jeans today. But they're pretty stretchy, so they're equally comfortable while I lay on the couch with my feet on the ottoman. I could go to Pilates tonight, but tomorrow sounds even better. My schedule's pretty tight today.
(|)

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2556 on: June 07, 2011, 02:45:30 PM »
why not go today AND tomorrow? double the girl on girl fun

lennedsay

• Senior MILF
« Reply #2557 on: June 07, 2011, 02:55:26 PM »
mmm... tempting. But I did get a private on Saturday...

What should I cook for dinner tonight? I have chicken breasts and want something somewhat healthy.

Something to counteract the Chick-fil-A I'm getting for lunch. :teehee
[close]
(|)

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2558 on: June 07, 2011, 03:06:36 PM »
I've made this before...

Chicken Breasts Piquant
-----------------------
3/4 cup chicken stock or broth or bouillon
juice of 1 lemon
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. dried onion
1 tsp. paprika
2 chicken breasts, split

Combine first 7 ingredients in skillet and bring to a boil. Add chicken,
cover and simmer 15 minutes. Turn chicken over, and simmer 15 minutes
longer, or until tender. Sprinkle with parsley.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #2559 on: June 07, 2011, 03:08:23 PM »
It's a Bible-based diet.

I don't get the joke, but no.
AMC

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2560 on: June 07, 2011, 03:08:53 PM »
It's a Bible-based diet.

http://www.crossfit.com/

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #2561 on: June 07, 2011, 03:11:24 PM »
It's a Bible-based diet.

http://www.crossfit.com/

I don't see anything religious, though
AMC

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2562 on: June 07, 2011, 03:14:12 PM »
:(  i don't know if you're trolling me now or not.

crossfit

bible based diet

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #2563 on: June 07, 2011, 03:19:55 PM »
and now i get cormac's reaction

gonna go commit suicide bbl
AMC

Rman

« Reply #2564 on: June 08, 2011, 11:51:30 PM »
I was confused because the founder of Xfit is a hardcore Christian.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2565 on: June 08, 2011, 11:53:11 PM »
maybe one day we'll log on and find the WOD is 'Carpenter's Walk' - carry a cross 5km, then 3 days of dead hang
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2566 on: June 09, 2011, 01:13:08 AM »
maybe one day we'll log on and find the WOD is 'Carpenter's Walk' - carry a cross 5km, then 3 days of dead hang

:o

:lol
[close]
WTF

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #2567 on: June 09, 2011, 10:05:18 PM »

:rofl

I'm swimming 4-5 times a week now and have shaved my chest.  Yesterday I dove in and lost my shorts.  Swimming at a pool on a military base is a lot like what I imagine a gay cruise to be like. 

Maybe this is where Greatness Gone went.
AMC

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2568 on: June 10, 2011, 06:35:51 AM »
nuts are not really advisable
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2569 on: June 10, 2011, 10:18:10 AM »
fuck it.  i eat almonds everyday.  sooooo good.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2570 on: June 10, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
Go ahead, but be aware they are as nutritionally empty as a bowl of spaghetti. Except they provide fat, not carbs. Plus they come with digestive issues, and lots of omega 6 from linoleic acid.

One of the daftest things about Crossfit nutrition/ the Zone diet is the way they keep pushing almonds as some magic food that everyone must eat in measured quantities 4 times a day or die. It's total fucking nonsense.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2571 on: June 10, 2011, 10:56:08 AM »
they're just delicious and a 1/4 cup of it is super filling as a side to something like tuna.  and they fit my macros.  beyond that... nom nom nom.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2572 on: June 10, 2011, 10:57:29 AM »
I saw that cheeseburger Mups. You can't hide from me you fat pig
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2573 on: June 10, 2011, 10:59:30 AM »
that cheeseburger was delicious!!!! 

Although not paleo, the beef was grass fed and I only had one tbsp of ketchup!  one!!!!!  but the kraft cheese :fbm

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2574 on: June 10, 2011, 11:00:08 AM »
I'm down another 3 lbs this week :)  Broke the plateau from leaving palumbo's diet
[close]

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2575 on: June 10, 2011, 11:12:49 AM »
...and the bun... :fbm

And I don't want to hear about 'delicious' :wag
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2576 on: June 10, 2011, 11:20:18 AM »
dee.lish.us!

I'm not saying it was good for me, I'm saying it was very good to me :drool

Like I said before, I'm into paleo for aesthetic reasons, so if I can get away with eating bad every once in a while and it fits my macros/BMR requirements, I'm going to.  Plus, I'd go crazy if I couldn't have my favorites every once in a while.

Tacos :drool

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2577 on: June 10, 2011, 11:24:28 AM »
indeed, at 5% body fat, you can certainly get away with the occasional cheeseburger. oh wait :teehee
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2578 on: June 10, 2011, 11:37:06 AM »
at 20% I can still get away with the occasional cheeseburger!  Weight is still going down enough to keep me happy and I'm not driving myself crazy depriving myself of foods I love  8)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2579 on: June 10, 2011, 11:50:10 AM »
wow I must have clicked on the Fatness Bore sticky instead
vjj