Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 817069 times)

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
Re: FitnessBore - 2011 edition
« Reply #2580 on: June 10, 2011, 11:54:28 AM »
20%  :yuck
AMC

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2581 on: June 10, 2011, 11:55:58 AM »
yeah, that's sending up the Demi Signal fo sho
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2582 on: June 10, 2011, 12:00:35 PM »
725 calories with 48 grams of fat, 24 grams of carbs and 48 grams of protein for a meal after lifting once a week isn't as bad as you're trying to make it sound.  People get results using different methods.  Straight up Paleo isn't the only path.  When I stop losing weight, I'll let it bother me.  My methods (and others) might not be the quickest or healthiest way, but for those of us who don't care about things like omega 6 to omega 3 ratios and completely cutting out food groups we like, it works.  I use Paleo as a guide to help shape the majority of my diet, but I'm not going to let it completely dictate my eating habits (and to a lesser extent my life) if I'm still seeing results.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2583 on: June 10, 2011, 12:01:25 PM »
Down from over 30% a couple of months ago so meh.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2584 on: June 10, 2011, 12:07:43 PM »
But I guess a burger once a week will kill me and make me gain twenty pounds.  o noes.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #2585 on: June 10, 2011, 12:07:57 PM »
I'm just being a dick. You know I love you, boo
AMC

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2586 on: June 10, 2011, 12:08:50 PM »
:heartbeat

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2587 on: June 10, 2011, 12:12:13 PM »
man, these fatties are sensitive!
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2588 on: June 10, 2011, 12:13:49 PM »
I just get all emotional about my food.  Eating my feelings and all that

Beezy

« Reply #2589 on: June 10, 2011, 12:17:37 PM »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2590 on: June 10, 2011, 12:38:14 PM »
it's cool mups you know i love you long time
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2591 on: June 10, 2011, 12:41:55 PM »
Yeah I got trolled :( 

Let's get sweaty together :teehee

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2592 on: June 12, 2011, 04:14:02 PM »
whoa, i can pass that. hooray for my aging ass.
duc

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #2593 on: June 13, 2011, 03:14:12 AM »
Getting decent results after continuing to work out for more than two months for the 1st time in my life. 

I'm definitely not yet at Cormac's professional model shape but my current form with a 32" wasit is much better than the disgusting 38" potbelly version from 10 weeks ago. 

The goal to get Lebron James arms is developing at a decent rate:

The next goal might be harder.  Since this is the year of superhero movies, I've been inspired to look like one.  I'm hoping that can be accomplished in 3 months. 

“In brightest day, in blackest night, No sfag shall escape my sight.
 Let those who worship Sony’s tripe, Beware my power… Green Xbox's light!"

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2594 on: June 13, 2011, 03:33:16 AM »
:lol

god i hate young people who can look like an entirely different person in a couple of goddamn weeks, grumble grumble

also, you may want to go for Jason Terry arms instead

[close]
Mavs fan since forever!
[close]

vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #2595 on: June 13, 2011, 03:49:55 AM »
I'm so upset today that I can't even claim to be a Mavs fan since forever.  But getting some tats that remind Lakers fans about who swept away their 3peat dreams would definitely be sweet. 

The sad thing is that I was inspired to get back into better shape because of how well Lebron was playing.  It made me missed the days when I made my high flying moves and people commented that I was Lebronesque.  So I decided to really try to improve my vertical leap so that I can finally dunk in a game.  Just last week, I've finally been able get the last couple of inches to dunk a soccerball with consistency.  But now I don't even feel like playing ball for quite awhile, much less train, because it might be two years before Lebron will get another chance. 

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2596 on: June 13, 2011, 04:01:55 AM »
Finally some pics. I'd prefer a face shot but I'll do with this. What's your work out schedule like

Smooth Groove

« Reply #2597 on: June 13, 2011, 04:27:29 AM »
I train mostly for explosiveness and speed. 

Here's what I did yesterday:

Play ball for 30 mins.  Jobbers left because I was too dominant.  I then went to the baseball field, circled the bases 10 times at full speed, 5 clockwise, 5 counterclockwise.  (1 min rest in between)

10 chin-ups
25 push-ups
10 pull-ups

then plyometrics such as box jumps, one legged hops, step-ups, side hopping, depth jumps, etc. for one hour

After that, I went to the gym and alternated between the deep back squat and the front squat for 8 total sets.  Each set was from 4 to 6 reps.  250lb for the back and 185lb for the front.  after that, it was 3 circuits of leg curls 8x, leg extensions 8x, calf raises 8x.   Bicycle to cool down for 5 minutes and that was it.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2598 on: June 13, 2011, 07:48:20 AM »
One day...

I'll be able to watch you do all that shit and not break a sweat...  :lol
[close]

Got bored at work last night.  About 4am, I clocked out for a 30 minute break and went and did a slow 1 mile jog.  Felt good.
WTF

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2599 on: June 14, 2011, 12:42:53 PM »
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2600 on: June 14, 2011, 12:43:55 PM »
i usually do a two mile jog/sprint (alternating) around part of the campus here when i get pensive and the weather allows. it usually puts me in a MUCH better frame of mind, or at least in a frame of mind where the predominant thought isn't that of murder
duc

Beezy

« Reply #2601 on: June 14, 2011, 01:29:30 PM »
Finally got back in the park with my best friend for the first time after like 2-3 weeks and I end up spraining my ankle near the end of a game of 21. Jumped up to block his shot and landed wrong on my left ankle. It felt good enough to walk on after like 5-10 mins so we finished up the game and I won (only needed 3 more points).

That was like 2 hours ago. It's being a bitch now. :-\

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2602 on: June 15, 2011, 01:00:01 AM »
Finally got back in the park with my best friend for the first time after like 2-3 weeks and I end up spraining my ankle near the end of a game of 21. Jumped up to block his shot and landed wrong on my left ankle. It felt good enough to walk on after like 5-10 mins so we finished up the game and I won (only needed 3 more points).

That was like 2 hours ago. It's being a bitch now. :-\

Motrin or Aleve.  Any kind of anti-inflamatory should help.

Went to the gym tonight and had a really good workout.  I started looking back at my workout logs and didn't realize how much more I'm lifting since I started creatine.  I think I'm going to like this.  Also, when I finished I had to stop by work to grab a disk from a friend and decided to park a half mile away and jog it in.  Felt really nice.
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2603 on: June 15, 2011, 01:39:31 AM »
at least you got your Pirates XXX back, eh
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2604 on: June 15, 2011, 02:15:53 AM »
some more backup for cormac's eating advice: http://www.experiencelifemag.com/issues/june-2011/healthy-eating/food-crazy.php

Ancel Keys is pretty much the Great Satan of dietary science btw...really hard to take any study with his name on it seriously. It is deeply, deeply unfortunate for us all that he is the one who got all the big money to do all these cool studies...since he fudged/buried/denied the results shamelessly.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2605 on: June 17, 2011, 01:19:54 AM »
the kettlebells showed up then...?
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2606 on: June 17, 2011, 03:37:05 AM »
I know, I know, fucking amazon and their 1-Click nonsense, so inconvenient and time-consuming...put your feet up and have a cuppa instead i say

vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2607 on: June 17, 2011, 04:06:45 AM »
your weight updates couldn't wait i see...congrats on -0.8kg. Now you can have a sixth french fry with dinner tonight!
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2608 on: June 17, 2011, 04:21:59 AM »
man i thought you'd be harder to troll DC
vjj

Skidmark

« Reply #2609 on: June 17, 2011, 12:25:16 PM »

I lost some weight since gomad, I am down to 77kg from my max which was 80kg after gomad.
I am losing my appetite again, I think I will buy some milk again and some serious mass.

Rman

« Reply #2610 on: June 17, 2011, 04:29:33 PM »
I train mostly for explosiveness and speed. 

Here's what I did yesterday:

Play ball for 30 mins.  Jobbers left because I was too dominant.  I then went to the baseball field, circled the bases 10 times at full speed, 5 clockwise, 5 counterclockwise.  (1 min rest in between)

10 chin-ups
25 push-ups
10 pull-ups

then plyometrics such as box jumps, one legged hops, step-ups, side hopping, depth jumps, etc. for one hour

After that, I went to the gym and alternated between the deep back squat and the front squat for 8 total sets.  Each set was from 4 to 6 reps.  250lb for the back and 185lb for the front.  after that, it was 3 circuits of leg curls 8x, leg extensions 8x, calf raises 8x.   Bicycle to cool down for 5 minutes and that was it.

Damn, son!  That is some major output.  You must be fueling the beast a ton to keep up with that level of output.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2611 on: June 18, 2011, 05:59:38 AM »
my Saturday dinner (iPhone pic  :'() :

Rare fillet, buttered asparagus w/garlic, pureed broccoli (enough butter, full cream and parmesan to choke the ghost of Julia Child).

Nothing there takes more than a minute or so of prep time, and if I wanted to eat that in a restaurant, I'd be paying upwards of $50. Cost me about $15 (steak was 50% off!), even in a country where meat prices are completely insane.

vjj

Beezy

« Reply #2612 on: June 18, 2011, 01:06:48 PM »
I like broccoli. Pureed broccoli sounds amazing. Share!

« Reply #2613 on: June 18, 2011, 09:47:36 PM »
my Saturday dinner (iPhone pic  :'() :

(Image removed from quote.)

Rare fillet, buttered asparagus w/garlic, pureed broccoli (enough butter, full cream and parmesan to choke the ghost of Julia Child).

Nothing there takes more than a minute or so of prep time, and if I wanted to eat that in a restaurant, I'd be paying upwards of $50. Cost me about $15 (steak was 50% off!), even in a country where meat prices are completely insane.

I'm not going to lie: that shit looks good right now. Do you buy your food in bulk, or grocery shop at local stores?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 09:53:45 PM by Nintendosbooger »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2614 on: June 18, 2011, 11:28:32 PM »
I shop pretty much every day. It's a pain in the ass but a) food is far better fresh and b) it gets me off my ass and out of the house (my daughter needs the walks also...)

One thing I do recently though, is buy and cook veggies in bulk. It's a pain cooking spinach or broccoli each and every time you want to have some on the side, so I often buy like 6 heads of broccoli at once, steam the lot, and store them in tupperware 'til needed. Spinach is really handy to have around - you can throw it in almost any kind of stew or curry or scrambled eggs, or just have it on the side with meat. I really recommend those microwavable silicon steamers - they save so much time.

The broccoli is a piece of piss to make...just steam it in the microwave (or boil) until soft enough to mash with a fork, then mix in butter, cream, salt, pepper and parmesan to taste. Exactly the same as mashed potatoes, and it should have a similar consistency. The asparagus is also just steamed in the microwave with a little salt, then I added butter on top, and the garlic from the steak pan. It's a lot of food but it won't make you feel bloated etc...try it!
vjj

« Reply #2615 on: June 18, 2011, 11:36:15 PM »
I shop pretty much every day. It's a pain in the ass but a) food is far better fresh and b) it gets me off my ass and out of the house (my daughter needs the walks also...)

One thing I do recently though, is buy and cook veggies in bulk. It's a pain cooking spinach or broccoli each and every time you want to have some on the side, so I often buy like 6 heads of broccoli at once, steam the lot, and store them in tupperware 'til needed. Spinach is really handy to have around - you can throw it in almost any kind of stew or curry or scrambled eggs, or just have it on the side with meat. I really recommend those microwavable silicon steamers - they save so much time.

The broccoli is a piece of piss to make...just steam it in the microwave (or boil) until soft enough to mash with a fork, then mix in butter, cream, salt, pepper and parmesan to taste. Exactly the same as mashed potatoes, and it should have a similar consistency. The asparagus is also just steamed in the microwave with a little salt, then I added butter on top, and the garlic from the steak pan. It's a lot of food but it won't make you feel bloated etc...try it!

Where you learn to do all this shit? I have a rice cooker, a Foreman-esque grill, and a Crockpot. Is there a man-cave cookbook out there for someone like me?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2616 on: June 18, 2011, 11:56:34 PM »
A friend taught me a lot of the basics, then I just started buying cookbooks. After a while, you don't need the books much. The above is very basic cooking.

If you want to take a shortcut, just look up the dish you plan on cooking on youtube. We really should make a separate healthy eating thread, I guess...bit too much like hard work though.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2617 on: June 19, 2011, 01:05:51 PM »

The broccoli is a great idea.  I never thought about mashing it up before!
WTF

« Reply #2618 on: June 20, 2011, 12:38:26 AM »
11 mile run this morning. Half marathon is next Saturday. My right knee is totally fucked up and hurts like a son of a bitch. This will not end well.
野球

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2619 on: June 20, 2011, 12:46:04 AM »
well, that's 2/2 on EB's runners fucking up their knees
vjj

« Reply #2620 on: June 20, 2011, 12:48:07 AM »
I went on an 8 mile hike last weekend, and I think it got fucked up on the way down. I'm still able to run and I'm not worried about finishing the half marathon, but it hurts and slows me down some.
野球

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2621 on: June 20, 2011, 01:54:27 AM »
I went on an 8 mile hike last weekend, and I think it got fucked up on the way down. I'm still able to run and I'm not worried about finishing the half marathon, but it hurts and slows me down some.

was sympathetic for about a picosecond then remembered you're on holiday 'til September
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2622 on: June 20, 2011, 07:49:51 AM »
Tonight's fitness regime...call me lazy if you will but I prefer this to jogging and futsal....  :)

The chicken was probably excessive but I had some leftover that I wanted to get rid of. The steak was done Billy Rygar-style of course (broiled in the oven on low heat first, then seared). The salad is just some baby leaf stuff bought in a bag from the supermarket, with some tomatoes on top (marinated in olive oil, garlic, balsamico, salt and pepper). The chicken was also store bought...always have a few precooked chicken breasts in the fridge for slicing into salads or just eating cold. Anyone can do this kind of food...the only thing that even takes practice is timing the steak. Even that is hard to really fuck up unless you burn it black.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2623 on: June 20, 2011, 07:55:32 AM »
:drool

Oh man that steak looks good...
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2624 on: June 20, 2011, 08:10:52 AM »
it was!

I ordered some creatine today btw. It doesn't sound particularly necessary for me but there doesn't appear to be any downside....
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2625 on: June 20, 2011, 09:44:41 AM »
which creatine?  monohydrate? 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2626 on: June 20, 2011, 09:58:38 AM »
yes - Robb Wolf and Greg Everett mentioned it on their podcast
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2627 on: June 20, 2011, 10:00:34 AM »
oh ok.  Yeah, no downsides except some water retention and a splitting headache if you don't drink enough water. 

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2628 on: June 20, 2011, 11:25:19 AM »
Started running two weeks ago in my vibrams and pushed myself a little too much. I believe I may have either sprained my ankle or did something to where my smaller toes meet my foot (the left foot). Couldn't walk on it a few days ago, feels better today. I think I'll take it slow when its near 100%.

I also cut my carb intake. Not completely but more than half. Don't feel like a bloated mess after I eat now.
:9

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2629 on: June 20, 2011, 12:29:20 PM »
oh ok.  Yeah, no downsides except some water retention and a splitting headache if you don't drink enough water. 

I had noticed some headaches in the past few weeks, but I didn't know it could have been from the creatine.  My first six weeks cycle is up on Thursday.  I've really loved it so far.
WTF

Oblivion

« Reply #2630 on: June 21, 2011, 05:38:52 AM »
Ugh.  Barely passed the run today during the Army Physical Fitness Test.  I guess I can't smoke and run fast through sheer willpower after all.  :(

I still managed a 261, which isn't terrible.  I did 75 pushups, 85 situps, and ran the 2 mile in 16:26.  If you're curious about the test here are the details:

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/a/afpt.htm

The fuck? I can't be reading that right. As a 26 year old, in order to pass with the minimal amount of pushups I only need to be able to do 40? I can do friggen 60 without much trouble. And this shit is for the U.S. of Amurrica military?

Historically low standards ftl.

:usacry :piss2

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2631 on: June 21, 2011, 08:40:05 AM »
Just heard from Willco, btw - he's now down 115lbs after 2yrs. Make fun of him for being a disgusting fattie if you like but that's one hell of a sustained effort :bow
vjj

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2632 on: June 21, 2011, 08:43:13 AM »
From Jonah Hill to Andy Milonakis back to Jonah Hill and now Seth Rogan :bow2
:9

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2633 on: June 21, 2011, 08:45:46 AM »
He's obviously just too fucking handsome now for the likes of us :'(
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #2634 on: June 21, 2011, 12:43:33 PM »
Just heard from Willco, btw - he's now down 115lbs after 2yrs. Make fun of him for being a disgusting fattie if you like but that's one hell of a sustained effort :bow

Good job but sounds like he'll still be wearing a swimming shirt for the foreseeable future. 

Beezy

« Reply #2635 on: June 21, 2011, 03:09:23 PM »
If one only passes with a 180 (minimum score) you are basically considered dirt, especially in a combat MOS.  For perspective,  Army Rangers at Ranger Battalion are scoring 275+ consistently. 
:fbm

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2636 on: June 21, 2011, 06:05:04 PM »
So the last two times I've been at the gym (Saturday and Monday), I've had a problem pop up when I do my squats.

I think it started Saturday during those squats.  I must have had my feet planted wrong or my spine was poorly aligned.  Either way, any time I do squats with weights I get a sharp, headache-like pain in the back of my neck into my head.  I think it's possible that I've strained a muscle, but either way it hurts like a bitch and I couldn't even finish my strength training yesterday for the headache.

I took 800mg of Motrin to ease the pain, which seems to help it for a few hours, but now the pain is coming back.  I woke up this morning with the same headache.

WTF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2637 on: June 21, 2011, 06:57:10 PM »
Sounds like you're either trying to look up or down too much when you squat.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2638 on: June 21, 2011, 07:40:57 PM »
Could well be. It's tricky to fix this without outside help. I had to take a picture of my workout buddy squatting to prove to him that he was straining desperately to look up during the squat, he thought his neck was neutral the whole time. Looking in the mirror obviously doesn't help.

In the short term you could try switching from low bar to high bar (or vice versa...) so you're not putting pressure on the same area.
vjj

lennedsay

• Senior MILF
« Reply #2639 on: June 21, 2011, 10:13:01 PM »

Good job but sounds like he'll still be wearing a swimming shirt for the foreseeable future. 

:lol
(|)