Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 817074 times)

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
Re: FitnessBore - 2011 edition
« Reply #3060 on: September 02, 2011, 09:58:38 AM »
my wife went full paleo too :bow my wife :bow2
duc

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3061 on: September 02, 2011, 08:08:27 PM »
My 23 year old sister was just recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.

I approached the subject of cutting out carbohydrates except vegetables but she said that she just cannot live without sugary coffee, girly alcoholic drinks, and pizza.  I then mentioned my grandfather, who was diabetic and how he went blind and was a hair away from amputation of his legs before he died of a heart attack.  She said that she didn't care and didn't want to stand out from her bar hopping friends.

Insulin injections it is then!  :-\
🍆🍆

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3062 on: September 02, 2011, 10:00:45 PM »
my wife went full paleo too :bow my wife :bow2
Mine too. She's even more hardcore than me now too. My cheats have become way more rare since she jumped in a month or two ago.  It only took her about a year and watching me lose 50+ lbs easier than all her running and dieting to convince her.

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #3063 on: September 02, 2011, 10:13:33 PM »
What's sex like between two hardbodies?

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3064 on: September 02, 2011, 10:57:40 PM »
http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/

Lots of tips for increasing both acceleration from a stop and maximum speed. 

This article covers most of what you need to know:  http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/jumphigher.html

In your case, I'd focus on limit strength first since you haven't much experience with weightlifting and from your posts ITT, that seems to be your biggest weakness.  Also, plyometrics like box and depth jumps are kinda dangerous when you don't have a good base of strength already. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:07:31 PM by Smooth Groove »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3065 on: September 02, 2011, 11:31:32 PM »

I approached the subject of cutting out carbohydrates except vegetables but she said that she just cannot live without sugary coffee, girly alcoholic drinks, and pizza.  I then mentioned my grandfather, who was diabetic and how he went blind and was a hair away from amputation of his legs before he died of a heart attack.  She said that she didn't care and didn't want to stand out from her bar hopping friends.

Oh god, this stuff makes me weep but I hear it all the time. J-Bore has a mutual friend with diabetes that says the same crazy shit to me. 'I can't live without bread and beer'. REALLY? And you can live without your fucking feet or your EYESIGHT? This is someone who has almost died from accidentally slipping into a diabetic coma on multiple occasions - once he was saved only by his wife coming home early and finding him passed out in the hallway. It's scary shit but people like to think it's some totally manageable thing where you just take your meds and everything is A-ok.

Very frustrating but if you push it too far with the recommendations, you start to sound like crazy Christian evangelist and they just tune you out or get resentful and eat even worse around you to spite you.

The story William Davis told on the most recent Paleo Solution podcast was crazy too, having to PLEAD with one of his patients to give up wheat to avoid a major bowel operation and wear a colostomy bag for the rest of her life (and many other symptoms). That one had a happy ending but many other cases are like your sister's, I guess. My biggest woe is my mother, who has been overweight for years and has tried everything with no luck. She is actually willing and has read books etc but just struggles with the day-to-day implementation. I basically need to be over there shopping and cooking for her until she 'gets it' but I'm on the other side of the world. Aargh.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3066 on: September 02, 2011, 11:32:48 PM »
8 weeks to futsal tournament - 5 game round robin at the least, 4 extra games ontop of that possibly.

Recommendations ? Need increased speed from standing/jogging start mainly.

Crossfit for futsal seems to be set on tabata style sprints with walking burpee/burpee inbetween and box jumps, but wanted to get the expert bore opinion.

I'm used to doing sprints from actually playing, but need to do something where i can improve and monitor the improvement. Maybe the tabata above might be worth a shot

Not giving you any more recommendations 'til you actually implement some of the ones already given :p
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3067 on: September 02, 2011, 11:42:36 PM »
ha.  i thought this was the slow warm up.  I was going to aim to do three of them once a week.

I was trying to find out about sprinting and I read about Tabata somewhere, and found this article

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-are-tabata-sprints/

I thought this would be the cosign.

In other news, yeah, I can't eat Omega 3 eggs.  I took them out of my diet, felt better, tried them this morning just to make certain and my stomach is a nightmare.

is pepto bismol paleo?

Mark Sisson can jump into tabata sprints productively and without injury, because he is a former world class athlete. You can't - you couldn't complete the set, right? People think it's going to be doable because it's only 4 minutes and hey, they can jog for 30 without trouble. But sprinting is a totally different deal. The amount of power you generate is huge, and the likelihood of injury consequently greater. So I would start out with something like sprint 50 meters, walk back, repeat 3 more times. And you need to do some bodyweight warm-up stuff before that if you plan on going all-out.

(Also, the whole Tabata thing is out of control. It was not designed for 'almost any exercise' - it was designed to test the performance of cyclists in the laboratory. Tabata push-ups etc is ridiculous and kind of pointless. Crossfit has to take a lot of the blame for this notion that you can just do anything in that Tabata time interval and it will produce amazing results. There is nothing magical about 8x20 with 10 secs of rest)
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3068 on: September 02, 2011, 11:46:04 PM »
Cormac, is it harder to recover faster on a full paleo diet?  Lately I've been eating stuff like rice, sweet drinks, sweet potato fries post-workout to recover more quickly from lifting heavy or 2 hrs of hoops.  It seems to work but I'm wondering if it's just a placebo.  Or maybe my "paleo" meals didn't have the right foods?  I put "paleo" in quotations because I eat out most of the time so I don't have much choice over the quality of meat.  I usually try to get beef (non-grounded) or skinless chicken.  For vegetables, usually leafy greens and nothing starchy like potatoes or beans.  

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3069 on: September 02, 2011, 11:48:06 PM »
Also, I think I'm having a hard time gaining muscle lately because my metabolism has gotten too high.  I'm downing 2500 calories a day and still can't seem to bulk much at all.  I probably need to start drinking milk or protein shakes instead of water along with cutting down intesive exercising to 3 hrs/week. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3070 on: September 02, 2011, 11:51:43 PM »
Can't even tell if you're being serious or just trolling....Yeah, Coke is way better than Paleo for recovering from exercise. Go ahead! Try it for a month and tell us how you do!
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3071 on: September 02, 2011, 11:58:03 PM »
Anyway, as I'm sure you know, being a med student and all, the only reason you may think you are recovering better when you eat garbage carbs after a heavy workout is because it is restoring your blood glycogen very quickly, which feels good. (this is a classic reason why chronic cardio doesn't help most people with weight loss but that's another story).

But since Paleo doesn't have any prohibitions about eating carbs, only the type of carbs consumed, the optimum solution is to eat your Paleo carbs in the post-workout window. I usually go for sweet potato or broccoli and my recovery is great. Way better than when I used to go out and eat cheeseburgers and drink beer after lifting.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3072 on: September 03, 2011, 02:10:06 AM »
I'm not generally using junk carbs though.  By sweet drinks, I meant stuff like juices and milk, which are probably bad by Paleo standards but not horrible like soda.  The only starchy carbs I've been eating regularly are sweet potatoes and white rice, which are stuff that Paleo experts say I should cut down on but probably still much better than bread and french fries.   While I still eat bad carbs like pizza and pasta on cheat meals once or twice a week, they are being consumed in increasingly smaller amounts. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3073 on: September 03, 2011, 02:12:56 AM »
Juice is frequently worse than soda though.

Anyway, i'll throw the burden of proof on you: You are not getting the results you expect, so you must be doing something wrong. If I'm not right (i.e that you're still consuming too much junk), what is the problem? Changing your workout method every couple of weeks probably isn't helping either.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 02:15:33 AM by Cormacaroni »
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3074 on: September 03, 2011, 02:22:31 AM »
You're mixing my issues, bro.  I'm saying that I seem to be recovering faster with more carbs, as in having less soreness the day after.  The other issue is related to muscle gain.  I've been staying at the same weight despite lifting regularly and eating a fairly high amount of calories every day.  In terms of diet problems not related to athletic performance,  I noticeably have bloating and constipation whenever proteins + fat are more than 70% of my total calories. 

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3075 on: September 03, 2011, 02:27:16 AM »
Oh yeah, I make my own juices too, usually from some combination of mangoes, oranges, bananas, berries, watermelons, apples.  Does that make a difference?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3076 on: September 03, 2011, 02:34:38 AM »
I'm agreeing with you on carbs post-workout. There is some good stuff that happens there, but it's a double-edged sword. Too many carbs and you're into insulin spikes and fat creation. So you need the appropriate dose of the right medicine and you will recover fine. Do it right and the carbs will promote muscle gain. Do it wrong and they promote fat creation/retention. Have a look at this:

http://robbwolf.com/2009/07/01/post-workout-nutrition-high-or-low-carb/

Home made juices - here's the bottom line and I wish it weren't so: if it tastes really sweet and delicious...it's no good for ya
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 02:40:22 AM by Cormacaroni »
vjj

Pringo

« Reply #3077 on: September 03, 2011, 02:36:22 AM »
Juice is frequently worse than soda though.

I'm curious about the rationale behind this, assuming you're talking about actual juice and not like "fruit blend beverage" or something like that. Is the sugar content in juice just that high or is it something else? I would've assumed the vitamins, lack of processed sugars, etc. in juice would put it way ahead in terms of healthiness like 100% of the time.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3078 on: September 03, 2011, 02:43:07 AM »
Fructose is much worse than glucose - it is a liver-destroyer among its other evils. It's basically a poison that the liver takes the brunt of to spare the rest of your system and you want as little of it as possible. If your liver glycogen is full due to fructose, then it goes straight to fat. It also makes you leptin resistant, which makes it harder to burn fat and messes up your appetite mechanisms (as anyone who has ever tried to keep a 3yr old in grape juice will tell you). Fruit is not some magical gift from a benevolent god, custom-tailored to our dietary needs.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3079 on: September 03, 2011, 02:46:09 AM »
I try to balance things out so that it's not too sweet.  Like smaller amount of a sweet fruit and more amounts of a sour fruit.  I'm pretty experienced now to get just the right mix. 

I'm curious about your viewpoint on fruits.  Don't most Paleo experts claim that fruits are OK? 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3080 on: September 03, 2011, 02:57:18 AM »
No, there's been a gradual drift away from them ever since the start. Everyone is just kind of embarrassed that Dr Loren Cordain, who really got the whole ball rolling, allowed unlimited fruit in his first version of the diet. So it has taken a while for people to really come out and say what they want to, which is that you really should keep fruit consumption as low as possible. An apple isn't going to make you obese. But fruit juice for kids all day instead of water is a big f'in problem that needs to be fixed.

As with anything else that you are unsure about: just cut it out for a month and see how you feel, look and perform. Then try adding it back in and see how you feel, look and perform. I did that quite a while ago and haven't looked back. I'll nibble on some now and then (just had some grapes actually) but no more than a handful, once or twice a week. That doesn't seem to move the needle at all. And no juice. Funny thing - once I stopped buying juice for myself, my wife stopped wanting it to. We only ever buy it in kid-sized packs for my daughter (which i hate doing but what can you do). At least that way she can only have so much of it at a time, rather than endless glasses of it.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #3081 on: September 03, 2011, 07:46:53 AM »
WTF

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #3082 on: September 03, 2011, 08:03:54 AM »
added dumbbell presses between my lunges and my planks today

ouch.

Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3083 on: September 03, 2011, 09:26:44 AM »
try some thrusters and squats!
vjj

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3084 on: September 03, 2011, 09:34:02 AM »
i did weighted squats, but by the time i finished my first rep with the added weight, i thought it was just too much right out the gate.  maybe next week i'll do thrusters and squats.

today i added in presses.
Tonya

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3085 on: September 03, 2011, 10:11:54 AM »

Oh god, this stuff makes me weep but I hear it all the time. J-Bore has a mutual friend with diabetes that says the same crazy shit to me. 'I can't live without bread and beer'. REALLY? And you can live without your fucking feet or your EYESIGHT? This is someone who has almost died from accidentally slipping into a diabetic coma on multiple occasions - once he was saved only by his wife coming home early and finding him passed out in the hallway. It's scary shit but people like to think it's some totally manageable thing where you just take your meds and everything is A-ok.

Very frustrating but if you push it too far with the recommendations, you start to sound like crazy Christian evangelist and they just tune you out or get resentful and eat even worse around you to spite you.

The story William Davis told on the most recent Paleo Solution podcast was crazy too, having to PLEAD with one of his patients to give up wheat to avoid a major bowel operation and wear a colostomy bag for the rest of her life (and many other symptoms). That one had a happy ending but many other cases are like your sister's, I guess. My biggest woe is my mother, who has been overweight for years and has tried everything with no luck. She is actually willing and has read books etc but just struggles with the day-to-day implementation. I basically need to be over there shopping and cooking for her until she 'gets it' but I'm on the other side of the world. Aargh.

Well, I pretty much just left it at that and moved on.  The way I see it is that she's an adult and can make a decision on her own.  To me, it just seems like getting diagnosed as a diabetic should be a come to Jesus moment where you should really start evaluating how you live.  But hey, she's in her early 20s and wants to part-ay and apparently you can't do this without a few Sex on the Beaches.  Whatever I guess.
🍆🍆

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3086 on: September 03, 2011, 12:45:55 PM »
:drudge Someone lit the Kosma Signal :drudge
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3087 on: September 03, 2011, 12:49:35 PM »
Seriously - of course there is only so much you can do. People close to us make bad choices all the time and most of us are powerless to do anything about it. At least you are in a position to give her some better info that she might be more willing to hear after a few years of injections, lethargy and mood swings etc.
vjj

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3088 on: September 04, 2011, 08:21:40 AM »
I hadn't run since Wed and I certainly felt it this morning.  I'm still doing pbf so I kept my pace nice and slow throughout, but my legs, especially my lower legs, were just feeling crushed.  Still completed a 28 min run though with ample warm up and cool down.

I've been going through the before and after pictures on the Mark's Daily Apple forum and some of these transformations are incredible.  I'm insanely jealous of some people, but I figure I'll get there eventually.
Tonya

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #3089 on: September 05, 2011, 08:18:39 AM »
I think I want to try and build my own pre-workout supplement.  Something that doesn't always have creatine in it and isn't loaded with sugar.  Suggestions?
WTF

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3090 on: September 05, 2011, 09:06:41 AM »
Finally finished up GCBC.  Mindblowing book.  At this point, I'm probably the last person to have read the book but if not, everyone needs to read this as soon as possible!
🍆🍆

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3091 on: September 05, 2011, 09:23:46 AM »
I think I want to try and build my own pre-workout supplement.  Something that doesn't always have creatine in it and isn't loaded with sugar.  Suggestions?

meat and vegetables?
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #3092 on: September 05, 2011, 10:02:51 AM »

meat and vegetables?

:lol
WTF

Rman

« Reply #3093 on: September 05, 2011, 11:30:48 PM »
Finally finished up GCBC.  Mindblowing book.  At this point, I'm probably the last person to have read the book but if not, everyone needs to read this as soon as possible!
Why We Get Fat by the same author is good for those who may not get into the dense scientific presentation of GCBC.  I did prefer GCBC, but for I recommend WWFG to family members and friends as it is more approachable.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3094 on: September 05, 2011, 11:38:30 PM »
Why We Get Fat by the same author is good for those who may not get into the dense scientific presentation of GCBC.  I did prefer GCBC, but for I recommend WWFG to family members and friends as it is more approachable.

yeah, seconded. WWGF is definitely the book you want to give to someone not already committed to a degree.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3095 on: September 05, 2011, 11:55:16 PM »
video talk from Sisson at the Ancestral Health symposium on the importance of play:

http://vimeo.com/27648777
vjj

Beezy

« Reply #3096 on: September 06, 2011, 01:31:54 AM »

yeah, seconded. WWGF is definitely the book you want to give to someone not already committed to a degree.
What are the chance that either of you own these for the Kindle and would be able to lend them to me?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3097 on: September 06, 2011, 01:37:22 AM »
I have GCBC on Kindle but it doesn't appear to be lendable - just checked.
vjj

Beezy

« Reply #3098 on: September 06, 2011, 01:40:52 AM »
Damn, okay.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3099 on: September 06, 2011, 01:42:06 AM »
If you want the short version, just search for 'Gary Taubes' on youtube - tons of interviews, talks etc will come up
vjj

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3100 on: September 06, 2011, 06:20:47 AM »
or, check your local library.  that's where i found my copy.

Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3101 on: September 06, 2011, 06:25:22 AM »
shit.  it's raining pretty hard.  I'm going to have to skip my run this morning making it the first run i've missed since i started 8 weeks ago.
Tonya

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #3102 on: September 06, 2011, 09:58:41 AM »
I've got an .epub copy of GCBC that I can send you.  You could convert it through Calibre and send it to your Kindle.
WTF

Beezy

« Reply #3103 on: September 06, 2011, 11:44:48 AM »
Thanks, but Cormac already hooked me up.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #3104 on: September 06, 2011, 10:09:06 PM »
Had a decent workout today and didn't actually feel like death afterwards.  However, I do think I'm done with the N.O. Shotgun that I bought a couple of months ago.  It's making me sick at my stomach to use it and I think it's primarily the taste of the shit. 
WTF

lennedsay

• Senior MILF
« Reply #3105 on: September 06, 2011, 10:30:47 PM »
I'm tired as fuck, was a good workout though and I honestly love doing yoga again. I forgot how relaxing it was.

:bow Wrath

:bow yoga

I seriously feel high when I get done with yoga.
(|)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3106 on: September 07, 2011, 01:00:13 AM »
i know it's not all about the weight but hey - 65.4kg this week. Around 10kgs down, slow progress on the build, but flab be going rapid

mmm, you are gonna be pipestem-thin and puny by the time you finally get your narrow ass over for some kettlebells. Just the way I like 'em :drool  Prepare to be broken in half and used as a toothpick   :lol

p.s. Eric is on his way over now. Call in sick and join us - the weather is awesome. There will be curry afterward.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3107 on: September 07, 2011, 01:46:11 AM »
I have a skinny-fat 5ft6, 140lb friend who's been asking me for advice on how to improve his body.  I told him to cut down on the sweets, starchy carbs, etc. and start lifting heavy.  He's been changing his diet quite nicely which has resulted him in losing about 5-7 lbs in a month.  Dude quickly gets overexcited, ditches the heavy lifting and starts reverting back to jogging + lifting light weights for high reps.  Like most noobs, he claims that he doesn't want to get bulky and just wants to be ripped and have a 6 pack.  I told him that 1)he's about 5 years from even worrying about getting bulky 2)even if he gets down to <10%bf, it's unlikely he'll have the body he imagines at 120lbs.  Still he persists in his 10lbs weights, 1hr runs, and 100s of crunches.  SMH

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3108 on: September 07, 2011, 10:29:17 AM »
 :lol

Almost every noob does say that.  It's pretty much an excuse not to lift heavy because it's too hard.  They think they'll turn into Arnold after a couple of weeks of lifting. 

Yesterday I went home on my lunch break and I saw my weights there and figured fuck it, I'll do my lifts now.  Man, it felt good.  Finished my routine within an hour, hopscotched it back to work and ate lunch.  I felt awesome for the rest of the day.  Oddly though, my pullups were ass yesterday.  I don't know if it was just a bad day or if it had something to do with the change but I could only eek out 2 per set and I've been doing 4-5.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:31:12 AM by Mupepe »

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3109 on: September 07, 2011, 10:31:20 AM »
well if i'm just starting out, when should i switch to "heavy" weights?  They're all kind of heavy to me now having never done this kind of working out.
Tonya

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3110 on: September 07, 2011, 10:35:38 AM »
You should be moving towards heavy weights all the time by increasing your weight every workout (as a beginner) or at least every week. 

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3111 on: September 07, 2011, 12:58:48 PM »
stronglifts.com's 5x5 is a good start

I'd make some modifications since you're most likely working alone and have had not much experience with weightlifting.

1) dumbell press instead of bench press.  It's hard to get the form right on the bench press and bad form on this lift can easily hurt your shoulders.  Also, it's a dangerous lift if you can't tell when your muscles are too fatigued for another rep and you dont' have a spotter.

2) dumbell squat for a few weeks.   Squatting 3 times a week and adding 5lbs every time can be pretty hard if you don't have a minimum amount of back strength.  Often you'll just end up with bad form if your upper body is not strong enough to stabilize the weight.

3)pull-up instead of barbell row.  This is another lift where the form is hard to get right.  You might think you're improving rapidly in this lift even though you're just cheating a lot.   I also think the pull-up actually works more muscles than the barbell row. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3112 on: September 07, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »
agreed on all 3 points considering when I started I did the exact opposite and paid for it. 

Bad form when I first started bench press caused wrist issues and shoulder issues for a long time.  had to deload pretty heavily on squat because I eventually realized I wasn't going ass to grass and had a pain in my thigh from not placing my legs properly.  For a long time I did the barbell row and then I watched some videos and realized I had been doing it completely wrong.  If you don't wanna do pullups, at least start with dumbbells rows to understand the basic movement you should be performing and which muscles you should feel it in.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #3113 on: September 07, 2011, 06:31:23 PM »
my bench (8x3) is up to 165. :bow me :bow2 my goal is to bench my weight (180) reliably before winter
duc

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3114 on: September 08, 2011, 01:25:44 AM »
Try being able to military press your own body weight.  Then you can gorilla slam MAF when you get into an argument over which JRPG has the best combat system. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3115 on: September 08, 2011, 01:38:33 AM »
Prole's daughter can do that, right now
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3116 on: September 08, 2011, 03:06:01 AM »
I found a bodyweight exercise that is several times harder than a pullup, the glute ham raise.  I did it by securing my ankles with a 225lb barbell.  I could barely do 2 and neither was with proper form.  This was after several sets of squats but I doubt being 100% would have made much of a difference.  To add to the embarssement, a trainer friend who's even better built than a NBA player, was watching closeby with a client.  I must have been doing horribly because he actually thought I was stuck under the bar when I started glute bridge sets.  :fbm

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3117 on: September 08, 2011, 03:13:06 AM »

Cheapest Glute Ham raise rack is $300.  WTF 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3118 on: September 08, 2011, 03:14:33 AM »
Yeah, those are nasty. They have GHD machines at most Crossfit gyms. They make sit-ups look like a joke. I didn't get a chance to use them much but I can do more than 2! Then again you weigh a lot more than me so that's to be expected.

It is a violent, rapid movement btw. Maybe that's your problem? Don't do them slow like a deadlift, do 'em fast like an Olympic lift.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3119 on: September 08, 2011, 03:15:39 AM »
And by the way, you need to be incredibly careful with those because you can fuck yourself up for weeks by doing too many too soon. They call it 'abdo' (rhabdo for abs)
vjj