Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 816986 times)

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
Re: FitnessBore - 2011 edition
« Reply #3180 on: September 14, 2011, 12:49:58 AM »
Bad news to report after just having good news yesterday.   :(

I rolled my ankle pretty badly while coming down from a shot.  It was the left which I've sprained many times before.  However, it's been healthy for almost two full years.   I've been going without a brace the last couple of months because it's felt pretty good. 

My guess is that it'll take 6 to 8 weeks to heal to the point when I'm able to run and jump again.  In the meantime, the squat is out and maybe even the deadlift.  All I can do now is do some leg curls & extensions instead and put more focus on my upper body lifts.  Sucks to go from feeling like Superman to a handicap. 

Beezy

« Reply #3181 on: September 14, 2011, 01:56:50 AM »
That was me earlier this summer. Sorry to hear that. :(

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3182 on: September 14, 2011, 01:59:27 AM »
sorry to hear that. Chronic injuries are the worst.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3183 on: September 14, 2011, 02:04:12 AM »
Yeah, I'm never going without a brace on that bad ankle again.  Some orthopedic doctors think it's better to not wear a brace once it heals so that there won't be an imbalance in your structures.  I'm not so sure now.  Minimizing the danger to a part that is very prone to injury seems more important than over-reliance on healthy parts. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3184 on: September 14, 2011, 02:16:15 AM »
well, you never know. Ice the crap out of it and it might not be as bad as initially feared.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3185 on: September 14, 2011, 02:21:41 AM »
Yeah, that's what I'm doing now.  I've also been compressing it with a tight brace and plan to keep it on while sleeping.  Luckily I also have some codeine at hand.  I'm going to try my best to limit my dosage and take it for not more than 3 days since codeine has lots of shit effects. 

Bebpo

« Reply #3186 on: September 14, 2011, 10:21:40 PM »
I started working out again and I feel pretty good!  Had slacked off after about a year of working out to pursue women and deal with moving in and such.  Now I'm back to daily cardio and muscle and stretches and I'm sleeping a lot better and feeling energized!

Here's me now (I can still lose some gut and some butt, but I'm much flatter than I used to be; and yeah my mirror needs some cleaning!):

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3187 on: September 15, 2011, 12:49:14 AM »
Bebpo, you have a pretty good starting point.  You could probably look like a model in two months if you eat and exercise right.  Even if that gut doesn't go away completely,it won't be obvious if you pack some muscle mass on your shoulders and chest. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3188 on: September 15, 2011, 10:18:05 AM »
yeah, fuck the cardio (unless you enjoy it I guess).

Now is the time to eat right and lift heavy and look hot!

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #3189 on: September 17, 2011, 10:12:29 PM »
I took Mups advice and made my own pre-workout supplement.  It still tastes like crap though, so I'm going to have to tweak it a bit.  I think I also might have figured out my problem with the nausea.  I think it might be the NO boosters not playing nice with my thermogenic that I take first thing in the morning.  I'm going to try and eat something and then wait a little bit before I go the next time.
WTF

lennedsay

• Senior MILF
« Reply #3190 on: September 18, 2011, 08:59:21 PM »
PANTS OFF.
(|)

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #3191 on: September 18, 2011, 10:20:44 PM »
Update on my pre-workout supplement (home made). 

I took away a thermogenic made by GNC because it tastes like crap and it's basically just the anti-christ of drink mixes.  GNC let me return it for a full refund, which I exchanged for more probiotics and a ginseng based energy booster.  I'm going to mix the remaining stuff (BCAA, L-arginine, and creatine powder) with a little bit of gatorade powder and see how it does.  Hopefully I'll be able to perfect this soon.
WTF

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3192 on: September 19, 2011, 12:37:02 AM »
Luckily you're blessed with a skinny face. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3193 on: September 19, 2011, 10:19:17 AM »
Update on my pre-workout supplement (home made). 

I took away a thermogenic made by GNC because it tastes like crap and it's basically just the anti-christ of drink mixes.  GNC let me return it for a full refund, which I exchanged for more probiotics and a ginseng based energy booster.  I'm going to mix the remaining stuff (BCAA, L-arginine, and creatine powder) with a little bit of gatorade powder and see how it does.  Hopefully I'll be able to perfect this soon.

No caffeine?

That would be my only change if you want the full NO Booster or white flood effect.  They're all basically those 4 ingredients.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #3194 on: September 19, 2011, 03:41:57 PM »
Sorry, I missed the comment TB left.  The ginseng energy blend has over 200mg of caffeine in it.

I used it at the gym this morning.  No nausea, but the l-arginine powder has a funky taste that makes it hard to swallow at times.  I eventually ended up sipping on the last half of it through my workout, which seemed to be just as effective.  I didn't feel the "pump" like I did from the N.O. Shotgun or X-plode, but I knew that I was definitely lifting more than I would without it.  I actually broke through a benching plateau and was able to add 10lbs to my lift. 

So, I'm wondering if any of my Fitnessbore bros could write me a workout routine?  These past few months, I've been doing all compound exercises with minor variations in my routine from time to time, but mostly adding stuff on.  Every time I go to the gym, I always do bench presses, lateral pulls, squats (either low bar or dumbells), and planks.  Before a few weeks ago, I was also doing shoulder presses every time, but after deciding that my legs and midsection needed more work, I switched to kettlebell swings.  Aside from the planks and kb swings, I do 5x5's for everything else.  I usually do 4 sets of 45 second planks, and I'm not up to doing a full 5-10 minutes of kb swings, but I usually last through an entire song on my ipod (so, 3-4 minutes?).

The problem I'm mostly having, besides starting to get a little bored during my routine is that I'm spending more time in the gym than I want to each time I go.  I feel like my time could be better served if split up into sections focused on certain body areas.

What I need is a system designed on 2-3 days a week at the gym.  I need a lot of help on my legs and midsection, but I don't want to neglect my shoulders, chest, and back.  I still like the 5x5 system, but I would be willing to switch it up if it would be more beneficial to my progress.

tl;dr version: I do have caffeine in my pre-workout mix.  I need somebody to design a new routine for me.
WTF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3195 on: September 19, 2011, 03:55:26 PM »
All of that stuff tends to taste funky.  A lot of guys will add those sugarless drink mixes.  Can't remember the name of the shit, but it's calorie free and some sort of liquid that flavors water.  There's nothing wrong with sipping it throughout your workout though.  Purple Wraath recommends it IIRC.

Do you want to stick with compound exercises or do you want to do isolation work?  You can do 2 or 3 day splits either way. 

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #3196 on: September 19, 2011, 04:44:45 PM »
I tend to like compound more.  Isolation seems like a waste of time to me.
WTF

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3197 on: September 19, 2011, 11:21:24 PM »
6 a.m. Drink a serving of
Cell-Tech with 20 oz. of water.

6:30 a.m. Drink a full serving of Nitro Tech with water

7 a.m. Eat 2 whole eggs and 6 additional egg whites,
4 slices of whole wheat toats and jam.

7:30 a.m. Take pre-workout
measurements, stretch out, and do two
warm-up sets each of standing dumbell curls
and triceps pushdowns.

8 a.m. Workout #1
(barbell Curls/Tricep Pushdowns)
This should take approximately 5
minutes, after which you should rest
until 8:30 a.m.).

8:30 a.m. Workout #2
(seated Dumbell Curls/French Press)
This should take approximately 5
minutes, after which you should rest
until 9 a.m.)

8:45 a.m. Drink a full serving of nito-Tech in water with a banana
blended in.

9 a.m. Repeat workout#1
9:30 a.m Repeat workout#2
10 a.m. Repeat workout #1
10:30 a.m. repeat workout#2
11 a.m. repeat workout#1
11:30 a.m. repeat workout#2
Noon repeat workout#1
12:30 p.m. Eat large meal of
either chicken or beef, with rice
or potatoes, and vegetables.
1 p.m. Repeat workout#1
1:30 p.m. Repeat workout#2
2 p.m. Repeat workout#1
2:30 p.m. Repeat workout#2
3 p.m. Repeat workout#1
3:30 p.m. Repeat workout#2
3:45 p.m. Drink a full serving of Nitro-tech
in water and eat a nanana.
4 p.m. repeat workout#1
4:30 p.m. Repeat workout#2
4:45 p.m. Drink a serving of Cell-Tech with 20 oz. of whater.
5:45 p.m. Drink a full serving of Nitro-Tech in water and eat a banana
6:30 p.m Eat large meal of either chicken or beef, with rice or patatoes,
and vegetables.
7:45 p.m. Drink a full serving of Nitro-tech in water and eat a banana
Before Bed: Drink a full serving of Nitro-tech in water and eat a banana go to sleep and start building muscle..........When you wake up take 4 days to properly recover do not lift for these 4 days.

IF you have comleted this routine take the next 4 days to recover, YES that means be lazy for the next 4 days youve earned it you need these 4 days to properly recover.        

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #3198 on: September 20, 2011, 07:37:22 AM »
wheat is murder!
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3199 on: September 20, 2011, 07:59:21 AM »
I need new pants.  the ones i have that are just months old are too big for me.  they cinch up and look somewhat ridiculous.
Tonya

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #3200 on: September 21, 2011, 09:34:50 AM »
Started some basic hill intervals two weeks ago and played 2 three hour flag football game in the span of two weeks. I'm shedding weight like a diabetic.

What I love about hill intervals is how you're exerting yourself from the get go but the temptation to jump right in without warming up a bit is always there.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 11:37:46 PM by BlueTsunami »
:9

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #3201 on: September 21, 2011, 11:36:50 PM »
Man, there are some soldiers in another company where I'm stationed who play flag football every morning for PT.  The problem is, their field is only 50m long.  I just don't see how that can be considered exercise by anyones who's not in abysmal shape. 

The one we play on is probably a little less than regulation size length but we have to cut the width down due to the teams being fairly small (usually 4 on 4). I think the physicality isn't really felt at first but if you play back to back games (we usually play 2 to 3, first to 5 touchdowns total) it can get taxing. The unfit dudes (in our games) are usually the QBs :teehee .
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 11:38:40 PM by BlueTsunami »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3202 on: September 22, 2011, 12:02:56 AM »
Wrong as usual, Business

spoiler (click to show/hide)
it's 'cue' :teehee
[close]
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3203 on: September 22, 2011, 12:55:46 AM »
3 on 3 full court basketball is the best cardio

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3204 on: September 22, 2011, 01:06:22 AM »
dcharlie, this is how you should be doing it

[youtube=560,345]McZm-TEFmeg[/youtube]

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3205 on: September 22, 2011, 07:58:22 AM »
So Rman was asking me what I actually do in the way of fitness these days. It is a reasonable question, I guess. The prob with explaining that has always been that I believe strongly in variety and basically not having a routine. That said, I'm currently working with a kettlebell trainer who wants me to do particular things. He gives me the basic ground I should be covering, then I program the actual workouts for myself based on my capacity that day. The goal is to move onto a series of 8 week programs lasting a year, with rest and maintenance periods built in. That'll probably start in a month or so, once he's happy with my mechanics and work capacity.

Almost all the work is done with 2 x 16kg KBs right now. Everything is timed - I usually have a clock running for the whole workout, to ensure I work the full work interval and rest only for the predetermined time. The bells cannot be put down during work intervals - the only 'rest' comes in the rack positions (when holding the bells at the chest or overhead). A lot of what I'm doing this month is aimed at strengthening the rack positions so I can do longer intervals and tougher 'sprint' intervals.

This whole thing took 15 mins. I've done a lot worse but that's what was called for today:

2KB jerk w/5 sec hold in each rack position (i.e. hold for 5 secs chest, jerk, then hold for 5 secs overhead, then back to rack at chest)
4 x 1 min w/ 1 min rest between (6 reps each round)
- 1 min rest
2KB rack hold overhead 1 min
- 1 min rest
2KB rack hold chest 1 min
- 1 min rest
100 alternating left hand/right hand 1H swings - 3 mins (not done for speed - the only requirement is to not put the bell down before hitting 100. This is basically a cool-down)

Stuff like that. 3 times a week, averages about 30 mins total for the week.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #3206 on: September 26, 2011, 11:16:02 AM »
So I haven't worked out since last Monday because I got a tattoo on my right calf and it was sore until just a couple of days ago and it really hurt to do much of anything.  And now, it seems like the tattoo isn't holding too well and it's going to fade pretty badly, so it looks like the past week has just been lose-lose all around.   :(

On a brighter note, I hope to get back in the gym tomorrow.  Today, I am enjoying a pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks.  :lol
WTF

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #3207 on: September 26, 2011, 11:29:06 AM »
on your calf? what are you a chick?
fat

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3208 on: September 26, 2011, 11:44:59 AM »
did something to my knee so I took it easy the past few days.  Ran again this morning w/o much issue.  Knee is a little sore going down stairs but not as much going up them.  Dunno what happened.  Woke up with it like this.  I'm probably going to avoid squats for at least another day.  It's getting better, but it's still kind of sensitive.

This past thursday I went to a friend's birthday party (at a bar of course.  This is new york).  There were people I hadn't seen since I started paleo and they were frankly shocked at how much I'd already lost since they last saw me.  I think I was able to sell two of them on giving it a shot.
Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3209 on: September 26, 2011, 11:56:34 AM »
new runner with knee issues, how shocking
vjj

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3210 on: September 26, 2011, 11:59:02 AM »
I'd been running for a few months now and had recently dialed it way down so I was kind of surprised to see it crop up.

I've finished the running program that got me started on everything so I was going to look into the PBF thing a bit more, follow that for 9 weeks and see what difference it makes.
Tonya

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #3211 on: September 26, 2011, 12:01:38 PM »
on your calf? what are you a chick?

this
duc

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #3212 on: September 26, 2011, 12:58:49 PM »
What's wrong with the calf?

[edit] Besides, I got a hairy back so I can't go there, cause I want to be able to see it.  And I don't want anything that can't be covered up by a standard tee shirt and pants (work acceptable), and I've already used both upper arms.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 01:00:30 PM by andrwfields »
WTF

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #3213 on: September 26, 2011, 12:59:24 PM »
Nothing, if you have a vagina. Do you have a boypussy?
fat

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #3214 on: September 26, 2011, 01:01:20 PM »
Sorry, next time I'll get a tramp stamp.  Right above my ass.  I'll put your name on it.   :lol
WTF

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #3215 on: September 26, 2011, 01:06:30 PM »
I can't wait to see it
fat

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #3216 on: September 27, 2011, 07:42:05 AM »
Put some sprints (two to be exact) intervals to my hill regimen. Shit killed me but I feel good right now. Felt like I wanted to dry heave at first though. Fell to my back since I couldn't stay standing up.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3217 on: September 27, 2011, 08:11:25 PM »
More is not better DC!
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3218 on: September 27, 2011, 09:42:23 PM »
so what's the end game then? Sprinting for 5K?
vjj

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3219 on: September 28, 2011, 07:14:16 AM »
ugh

I had been neglecting my strength training

when i went back to it this morning it was really embarrassing.  I couldn't finish one circuit of my routine.

i did

3x
10 pushups
10 squat press
2 min swings

the swings are what killed me.  i never thought those would be quite so difficult.
Tonya

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #3220 on: September 28, 2011, 11:13:02 AM »
swings are brutal. i've been working them into the middle of my routine instead of at the end.
duc

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3221 on: September 28, 2011, 11:36:34 AM »
2 min swings take too long.  Just barbell snatch your own body weight for a set of 5. 

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3222 on: September 28, 2011, 12:56:56 PM »
1) I'm doing these in my kitchen
2) have you SEEN my body weight?
Tonya

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #3223 on: September 28, 2011, 01:21:40 PM »
I haven't. Any pics? Thanks
fat

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3224 on: September 28, 2011, 02:16:09 PM »
How much do you weight?

I was kidding BTW.  I doubt anyone here can snatch his bodyweight for just 1 rep. 

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3225 on: September 29, 2011, 10:13:17 AM »
yeah those swings hurt today.

I was absolutely starving yesterday so I ate more cashews than I should have.  I brought in a can of tuna and a can opener in case I ever get that hungry again at work on a day where I'd worked out
Tonya

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #3226 on: September 29, 2011, 03:10:48 PM »
I've changed up my workout routine starting today.  From now on, I'm going to put focus on upper body (chest, shoulders, arms, back) one day and lower body the next (legs and core).  I'm also going to try and incorporate more cardio into my life.  I used to get in at least 20 minutes DAILY, but everything about my routine and diet has been out of whack since the wife died.

My two biggest struggles are not getting enough cardio and my diet.  I'm just eating way too many carbs and I feel like I can't stop myself.
WTF

Beezy

« Reply #3227 on: September 29, 2011, 03:29:13 PM »
From now on, I'm going to put focus on upper body (chest, shoulders, arms, back) one day and lower body the next (legs and core).
I've been trying to do the same. I'm still not doing any weighted exercises though. I have none.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3228 on: September 30, 2011, 06:45:22 PM »
holy shit

i just bought pants 4" smaller than the pants I walked in wearing.

today marks the end of month two.
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3229 on: October 01, 2011, 07:02:20 AM »
ugh.

so I'm trying to do my workouts faster and faster with less rests.  today I did

5x
10 pushups
10 barbell thrusts

and then did 2 minutes of swings as quickly as I could

i'm fucking wasted.
Tonya

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #3230 on: October 01, 2011, 07:19:53 AM »
Sorry to parachute in but what's Fitness-Bores thoughts on High Intensity Interval Training. Is 20min a few times a week really better than hours on the treadmill?

* Posters note: I'm just getting back into things after spending the last few years drinking and embiggening myself.
___

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3231 on: October 01, 2011, 09:54:40 AM »
Yeah, it is. In general I'd want a ton more information about what you have done to this point and what you hope to achieve, what your diet is like etc before making such an unequivocal statement but in this case i'm 100% sure that the answer is yes. Burning calories on the treadmill slowly is only ever going to work if you plan on starving yourself and don't care about strength and conditioning at all.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3232 on: October 01, 2011, 12:13:47 PM »
The problem with most hiit is that people don't push themselves nearly as hard as they think they do most times and then complain about a lack of results.  That 20 minutes should leave you far more exhausted than an hour of treadmill running.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #3233 on: October 01, 2011, 12:27:33 PM »
The problem with most hiit is that people don't push themselves nearly as hard as they think they do most times and then complain about a lack of results.  That 20 minutes should leave you far more exhausted than an hour of treadmill running.

this. i didn't see real results from hiit until i pushed myself to near death with sprints and explosive squats/rows/burpees etc.
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #3234 on: October 01, 2011, 01:13:42 PM »
yeah, stop before you hurt yourself. </cormac>
duc

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3235 on: October 01, 2011, 09:11:01 PM »
stretch afterward, not before
vjj

drew

• sy
« Reply #3236 on: October 03, 2011, 04:36:33 PM »
[youtube=560,345]UKp7fBtj81c[/youtube]

lol

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3237 on: October 08, 2011, 12:07:44 AM »
ordered 24kg Kettlebell for dual handed swings - not feeling the 16kg as much any more.

weight now up 2.5kg :rock

aargh, you need to get over here. I have a source for much better KBs than are available on amazon etc.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3238 on: October 08, 2011, 02:51:51 AM »
Yes, let's practice those bad habits for a few more years, THEN go to Cormac to learn technique! He'll be so impressed at how mightily i heave this bell the wrong way!

ah DC. Head like a rock.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3239 on: October 08, 2011, 07:15:45 PM »
I guess I wouldn't persist with this if you hadn't told me on numerous occasions, in seeming seriousness, that you actually wanted help. But I think it's time I withdrew that offer really. It's become some weird thing where you have to do it your own way. Luckily kettlebells are more or less idiot-proof, which is one reason I like them.
vjj