Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 816958 times)

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
Re: FitnessBore - 2012 edition
« Reply #3660 on: March 06, 2012, 12:03:45 AM »
Sounds like fun but i suspect it will take a lot more time, money and energy than you have available. All I know about that kind of training is what I read in Tim Ferriss' book (the chapter about hacking the NFL combine mostly). If they'll take you on, I say go for it and tell us how you do. At the very least it will be an interesting failure.

Yeah, time would be the biggest obstacle.  I might wait until I have a long vacation to try it.  2 sessions per week probably won't be enough to get me to the level that the trainer would want me to aim for. 

What book are you talking about?  Does it have good tips for training? 

Sounds like fun but i suspect it will take a lot more time, money and energy than you have available. All I know about that kind of training is what I read in Tim Ferriss' book (the chapter about hacking the NFL combine mostly). If they'll take you on, I say go for it and tell us how you do. At the very least it will be an interesting failure.
:lol

Nicca, I don't plan on failing if I go for it.  I've already surpassed NBA players of my weight in several categories.  NFL is gonna be harder though.  225lb bench is much harder than 185, for example.  Also, I've never tried running a 40 but I know I accelerate better with a running start than from standstill. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3661 on: March 06, 2012, 01:52:51 AM »
The Ferriss book is 'The 4 Hour Body'. It has lots of good tips and info but it is kind of a hot mess IMHO. He hypes up a million different things as the solution to all your problems and they can't ALL be that valuable, and you'd go crazy if you tried to implement it all. Still worth a read though...really think you'd enjoy the NFL stuff.

I'm not suggesting that you'd fail athletically - just that it may not be practical or what you're looking for. I'd be keen on doing something like that myself for a while, even though i'd have no expectations of actually being competitive no matter how much I trained. Any chance you have to learn from the best, go do it.
vjj

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #3662 on: March 06, 2012, 06:32:23 AM »
aren't nba and nfl players built differently?  i think of nba players as far more lithe while nfl players as being way more stocky, even running backs and the like
Tonya

« Reply #3663 on: March 06, 2012, 07:14:14 AM »
I found the 4 hour body made a ton of illogical conclusions. Then he would paper it with personal anecdotes to make it feel like he was legit.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3664 on: March 06, 2012, 12:58:53 PM »
aren't nba and nfl players built differently?  i think of nba players as far more lithe while nfl players as being way more stocky, even running backs and the like
Nba players have gotten much more muscular in the last decade.  Receivers and corners are very close in size to nba players but still they are much stronger.  A typical receiver benches more reps with 225 than a nba guard with 185.  Nba players usually have better endurance, coordination and maybe more fast twitch muscle fibers.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3665 on: March 06, 2012, 06:50:50 PM »
You may still be right, but bench press is an absurd measurement of strength for NBA players with 7 feet wingspans. Most lifts are just massively harder for long-limbed people.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3666 on: March 06, 2012, 08:49:10 PM »
You're right but I was thinking of 6'3 NFL players vs 6'3 NBA players.  Dwight Howard is crazy strong though for a long limbed person.  He can bench 315 with resistance looped bands pullling the bar back down.

What do you call those bands, btw?  I can't find them online.   I was thinking of buying some for kettlebell swings. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3667 on: March 06, 2012, 08:55:13 PM »
they're usually called just 'resistance bands', no?

man, that is some wack-ass swing form...the first dude on the left is doing a full squat, the guy in the middle is almost hitting the ground with each rep, and the guy on the right is aiming for the ceiling :lol
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3668 on: March 06, 2012, 08:57:47 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking that too.  Only the last guy is doing it somewhat decent.

Everytime I look up resistance bands, I can only find the ones that come with handles, not loops.  Also, I can't find them at any retail stores. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3669 on: March 06, 2012, 09:02:09 PM »
your gym doesn't have them?

vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3670 on: March 06, 2012, 09:08:20 PM »
Nope, I haven't seen them in any other 24 fitness gym either, not even in the ultra deluxe one which costs $15 more a month.  Are they common in Crossfit gyms?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3671 on: March 06, 2012, 09:57:47 PM »
yeah - although more often for assistance than resistance! (i.e. to help soccer moms get a pull-up)
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3672 on: March 07, 2012, 12:58:13 AM »
Did you try any lifts with those resistance bands?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3673 on: March 07, 2012, 01:51:36 AM »
I mostly just use them for stretching and rehab stuff but there is a ton of stuff you can do with them if so inclined.  The Westside barbell guys take it to ridiculous lengths (using heavy chains at times...) and get incredible results, for powerlifting at least.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3674 on: March 07, 2012, 02:29:53 AM »
Thanks for bringing up Westside barbell.  I've never heard of them before.  They actually had the bands I was looking for.  I think I'll start with the monster minis.  What do you think? 

http://www.westside-barbell.com/products/?c=11&p=75

Also, what do you think about this?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/adfit/sting.html

My upper arms are too short for the regular grip (wrists go behind my ears when upper arms are parallel).  Cross-arm sucks because I always waste too much energy keeping the bar in place. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3675 on: March 07, 2012, 03:00:03 AM »
Westside folks know way more about this stuff than I do so if the price is right, I daresay their stuff is good.

The pad thing - well, if it's the only way you can do it, do it. A wider grip might sort it out though.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3676 on: March 07, 2012, 03:09:35 AM »
I'd rather get a front squat harness but those things are ridiculously priced, like the prowler.  The common limitation with the front squat is keeping the bar in place but it shouldn't be a shoulders exercise.  My partner can front squat without being cross-armed but his form is still pretty horrible with upper arms not even being close to being parallel.  He just gets away with it because his arms are really strong.  It's pretty dumb how pumped his arms get just from doing front squats.  He could probably do much more if he didn't have to expend so much energy just holding the bar. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:11:27 AM by Smooth Groove »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3677 on: March 07, 2012, 07:06:46 AM »
he's not getting away with anything...he's using (and thus training) the wrong parts of his body because he lacks flexibility. I bet his torso is folded over at a 45 degree angle. Front squat is much more limited by the lower body than the upper.
vjj

Beezy

« Reply #3678 on: March 07, 2012, 09:19:35 AM »
Did day 2 of p90x last night which is Plyometrics. My legs are fucking weak. I could only get through about 35 mins of the workout before I had to stop. Had trouble walking up and down the stairs in my house afterward. I know the soreness will really kick in later on tonight. :'(

Beezy

« Reply #3679 on: March 07, 2012, 11:21:32 AM »
Yeah, I'm not gonna quit. I figured that since I really don't do any type of exercise involving my legs, getting through more than half the workout wasn't so bad. I'll try to do the whole thing next week. I also figured that if I quit and decide to do this again in the future, I'll have to go through week 1 hell all over again. Might as well stick with it. :lol

Beezy

« Reply #3680 on: March 07, 2012, 11:35:16 AM »
Oh ok. Yeah, I'll try harder not to from now on.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3681 on: March 07, 2012, 01:27:29 PM »
Why is it that none of the black men on the Bore can jump? 

Beezy

« Reply #3682 on: March 07, 2012, 01:31:01 PM »
Spent too much of our childhood sitting on hour asses in front of a tv/computer.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3683 on: March 07, 2012, 06:14:19 PM »
Easy.  The wall lockers are about that height.  I jump on top just to mess around when there are no employees around.  Usually, I just use jump boxes and stack them up from 24 to 48 inches, depending on whether I'm doing 1 legged or holding weights.  But lately, the gym has decided to keep them locked up except for personal training sessions because some dumbass cut his shin. 

A below chest level box jump is not really that impressive.  The craziest guy I've seen was able to do it up to eye level and he was about 6"2. 

« Reply #3684 on: March 07, 2012, 07:07:27 PM »
Okay, so doing 150 burpees, 150 V-situps and 150 double unders SUCKED.

I'm taking my jump rope and going home.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3685 on: March 08, 2012, 02:42:34 PM »
fit into a large windbreaker today.

so xxxl to l.

sweet.
Tonya

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #3686 on: March 08, 2012, 02:46:54 PM »
well done, brah! :fistbump
duc

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3687 on: March 08, 2012, 03:37:56 PM »
well done, brah! :fistbump

thank you.  all of my shirts look ridiculous on me for the most part.  I need to buy smaller ones, but I'm feeling lazy about it because I don't want to buy a ton of them only to donate them once I morph again.
Tonya

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3688 on: March 08, 2012, 07:18:38 PM »
Good job, Eric!  I'm guessing you are about size 34 pants now?

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3689 on: March 08, 2012, 08:16:59 PM »
Tried some Zercher squats today.  I didn't go too crazy as I've never done one before.  I started with 25lb plates then went up to 45lbs.  It felt really good though.  I got much deeper than I've ever done with any other variation of the squat.  I think it would really help with my hang cleans. 

The best thing about today's workout is that I finally outlasted my track athlete workout partner.  :hyper

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3690 on: March 08, 2012, 09:24:16 PM »
Good job, Eric!  I'm guessing you are about size 34 pants now?

i wish.  some brands 40, some 38.  goal is 36
Tonya

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3691 on: March 08, 2012, 11:49:31 PM »
Cormac, you have a good link or video for a Zercher squat?  Also, what's the best way to keep the bar from being painful?  That seems to be the #1 limitation. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3692 on: March 09, 2012, 12:39:25 AM »
never tried them...a friend (who is now a personal trainer) did and reported the exact same problem. I don't think he ever repeated the experiment.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3693 on: March 09, 2012, 12:49:46 AM »
Speaking of alternative squats, here's a cautionary tale for anyone starting to squat:

A friend learned the hard way that a smith machine is dangerous.  I already told him that his back squat form is horrible because his flexibility is very limited.  I suggested that he practiced kettlebell swings for awhile. 

He didn't listen and stuck to using the smith machine for squats.  It made him think he was much stronger than he really was.  The smith also gave him a false sense of security since he thought he could lock the bar at any time. 

Yesterday, he tried squatting 225 on the smith without any warmup because it was during lunch hour.  He's actually never tried such a heavy weight before.  Beause the smith machine helped him hold the weight up top, he actually believed that he could handle that weight without any problem.  On the way down he got stuck and wasn't able to lock the bar until his back twitched.  Immediately after, he felt pins and needles down his spine and much of his lower body.  Today, he got a X-ray and found out that he's got a herniated disc.  Although it shouldn't require surgery, he's going be out of any physical activity for quite awhile.  :fbm

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3694 on: March 09, 2012, 01:20:49 AM »
darwin's blade strikes again :fbm
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3695 on: March 09, 2012, 01:29:51 AM »
Sorry, I don't get the reference but a quick search shows that it has something to do with stupidity.  Can you please elaborate?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3696 on: March 09, 2012, 01:32:40 AM »
Sorry, I don't get the reference but a quick search shows that it has something to do with stupidity.  Can you please elaborate?

People who do dangerously stupid things tend to get removed from the genepool.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3697 on: March 09, 2012, 01:34:10 AM »
Are KB swings good for improving flexibility?

It depends how you do them (i.e. straight-legged or not) but they will help most people's hamstring flexibility a bit. I certainly wouldn't call them a flexibility exercise. Although things like KB windmills most certainly are.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3698 on: March 09, 2012, 01:37:54 AM »
I find that KB swings help me get lower with my hips when actually squatting. Like Cormac said, much of it depends on your form but generally KB swing is easier and safer than barbell squat. 

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3699 on: March 09, 2012, 01:56:01 AM »
Yoga?  Overhead squats are cool too if you just want to be more flexible for that lift. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3700 on: March 09, 2012, 02:00:00 AM »
Straight legged or normal being preferred?

well, there are different schools, like in kung-fu movies. i hesitate to say that one is 'preferred' but I do 'em straight-legged (and that is the best and only way anyone should do them and one day all the unbelievers will be herded into camps and the world can be at peace again at last)
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3701 on: March 09, 2012, 02:30:08 AM »
Well, the way Crossfitters do them is perfectly sensible for beginners. It's easy to grasp, and isn't going to hurt you or anything. It's a very INefficient movement, so it gets you tired quickly, which is what Crossfit really wants.

As you gain experience though, you want a more fluid, natural and efficient movement, and straight-legged is a major step towards that. One of these days I'll get off my ass and make a video for you folks to show the difference...it should be immediately apparent, whereas it's pretty hard to imagine from just reading about it.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3702 on: March 09, 2012, 03:04:40 AM »
the problem being, I am not confident in my ability to narrate while swinging a KB, like Steve Cotter does :lol
vjj

Beezy

« Reply #3703 on: March 09, 2012, 11:39:57 AM »
Yesterday was Yoga day in p90x. I tried for like 15 mins and got bored. That's one workout that I don't think I have the patience to do by myself.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3704 on: March 09, 2012, 11:50:06 AM »
Beez, you're slowly turning P90X into P15-30x.  lol

Seriously, it doesn't seem like the program is for you. 

Beezy

« Reply #3705 on: March 09, 2012, 12:00:49 PM »
Beez, you're slowly turning P90X into P15-30x.  lol

Seriously, it doesn't seem like the program is for you.
Because I complained about this and plyometrics? Plyo was just too difficult cause it was my first time doing it. I know I'll be able to get through it eventually. Yoga is the only workout so far that I just don't want to do. Not having a decent sized space to do it in doesn't help either. I've forced myself through everything else so far.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3706 on: March 09, 2012, 12:10:34 PM »
Yoga is important for that program though.  It's one of those few days in P90X when you don't have to get your heart pumping like crazy and still be able to have a nice workout.  Also, it speeds up recovery.

For plyos day, you can just play basketball instead if you don't like that portion. 

Beezy

« Reply #3707 on: March 09, 2012, 12:37:10 PM »
I've never tried to stick with a workout routine and I've definitely never done anything like yoga before. I'll just keep trying.

Beezy

« Reply #3708 on: March 09, 2012, 01:36:28 PM »
yoga :maf

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3709 on: March 10, 2012, 02:09:55 AM »
So you quit P90X not because you wanted you to, but your wife wanted you to?

OUCH :lol
vjj

« Reply #3710 on: March 10, 2012, 02:44:18 PM »
Doing a Hero WOD at the gym's "ManDay and BBQ"

“ADAM BROWN“

Two rounds for time of:
295 pound Deadlift, 24 reps
24 Box jumps, 24 inch box
24 Wallball shots, 20 pound ball
195 pound Bench press, 24 reps
24 Box jumps, 24 inch box
24 Wallball shots, 20 pound ball
145 pound Clean, 24 reps

I'll have to scale it quite a bit. Noway I can that many reps at that heavy weight.

« Reply #3711 on: March 10, 2012, 08:08:45 PM »
Completely under estimated that workout. Took me 55 minutes.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3712 on: March 11, 2012, 07:48:02 AM »
Hero WODs are dumb as shit, every last one of them. Do a few to prove to yourself that you too can suffer that much, get it out of your system, and never do 'em again, I say
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3713 on: March 11, 2012, 08:16:56 AM »
Make them optional, and not a regular part of Crossfit HQ programming, and then we can discuss that element of it. They were coming up around once a week when I stopped reading crossfit.com. Once a year on Veteran's Day, for example, I could understand people wanting to do something extreme if they had friends or family in the service or whatever. Every week is bordering on emotional blackmail.

The amount of comments after Hero WODs along the lines of 'I ripped up my palms and slipped off the pull-up bar because of all the blood on round 1 but I kept on because I was thinking of <xxx> soldier' is crazy.
vjj

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3714 on: March 11, 2012, 08:35:11 AM »
hey so if you don't run for like 3 months because of laziness winter, your performance make take a hit.

I could only sustain a running pace for about 15 minutes before I had to stop and walk though I made up for that by extending my distance to 4.5 miles. 

Went to a park that has some pull up bars and thought I'd try to do a gauge of where I am strength wise because I want to accomplish one pull up by the end of the year.  I could only do a dead hang of about 15 seconds.  I did about 4 of them before my elbows started complaining. 

coming out of winter "i ain't doin shit" mode after losing a lot of flab was pretty great though.  less shaking and wobbling while I ran, so it wasn't so uncomfortable.
Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3715 on: March 11, 2012, 08:55:23 AM »
Another quick thought on the old Hero WODs: Back in the day, you used to see things like 'Jeremy', which IIRC is 21-15-9 of 95lb overhead squats and burpees (or something along those lines). In other words, a tough workout, depending of course on how hard you go at it, but doable for many and even doable without breaks for many.

But as time went on, it seems Jeremy's sacrifice was not deemed as honorable as that of others, like 'Murph', whose designated WOD cropped up every month or so while the likes of Jeremy languished. This is in-line with the general ramp-up in the overall brutality of the daily WOD, to the point where the Hero WODs of 5 years ago look like sweet relief from the regular WODs of today, and the Hero WODs now are next to impossible for all but the competitors in the Crossfit games (who, as far as I'm concerned, are so few in number and are so advanced in their needs, that they should be doing their own bloody programming and leave the rest of us alone...but I digress)
vjj

« Reply #3716 on: March 11, 2012, 10:45:48 AM »
The WOD had to be scaled quite a bit. Only a few of the really strong guys did it without scaling it and two even did it with a weighted vest.

« Reply #3717 on: March 11, 2012, 10:46:57 AM »
Make them optional, and not a regular part of Crossfit HQ programming, and then we can discuss that element of it. They were coming up around once a week when I stopped reading crossfit.com. Once a year on Veteran's Day, for example, I could understand people wanting to do something extreme if they had friends or family in the service or whatever. Every week is bordering on emotional blackmail.

The amount of comments after Hero WODs along the lines of 'I ripped up my palms and slipped off the pull-up bar because of all the blood on round 1 but I kept on because I was thinking of <xxx> soldier' is crazy.

They are mostly optional. I've only ever done two hero WODS as part f the weekly class (and event hen those are still optional since all WODS are popsted the day before).

Yesterday was kind of a "man day" with a  hero WOD and then BBQ. Everyone enjoyed it.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3718 on: March 11, 2012, 11:09:03 AM »
Maybe you just need to be in better shape, Cormac. :teehee

I'm only kidding. You have a valid point.

Oh, I've totally given up on ever getting into THAT kind of shape :lol  Nobody needs to be that fit and I think even if you ever get there, you won't stay there very long...I have always been about bang-for-buck and sustainability rather than maxing out anything...
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3719 on: March 11, 2012, 11:13:47 AM »
So how do you scale that? Do you just use less weight, or less reps, or what?

wow, you just summed up the whole problem with Crossfit these days. How indeed. Unless you have a lot of experience and have tracked your performance closely, you need to rely on a trainer to scale it for you. Even then, it's as much art as science. I used to spend ages worrying about how to scale my workouts...and then scaling them for my workout buddy as well. Lots of trial and error are needed, and it's a moving target too! (since you are getting stronger and fitter, in theory)
vjj