Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 817014 times)

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
Re: FitnessBore - 2012 edition
« Reply #4680 on: January 11, 2013, 01:54:07 AM »
My carb nite is tomorrow night!  I'm SOOOOO ready!
WTF

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #4681 on: January 11, 2013, 11:37:51 AM »
My plan was to follow Carb Nite Solution but to be honest I just cut back on carbs without any real plan - not even sure which "day" of low/no carbs I'm on anymore.  Mostly because my brain is too fuzzy to plan things out atm. I probably should formalize a plan at this point.
___

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4682 on: January 11, 2013, 01:53:32 PM »
The last few weeks I've pretty much stopped trying to do any specific diet.  I've also stopped measuring portions and counting calories.  I'm eating good foods that I know will fill me up and give me the protein I need to grow.  That's about as deep as my diet goes.  I've still been losing fat (albeit more slowly), but my strength gains have gone up considerably.  I think this is the path I'll take for a while.  I don't feel stressed out overthinking my diet anymore.  But I think I'm just happy where I'm at right now and with losing a bit more fat slowly.  When I get another specific goal then I'll probably start to dial in.  Or if I see my body composition changing in a negative way.  Right now I'm just having fun lifting more every workout again.

I'm also jumping on 5/3/1 next week.  I went for my 1RM on everything this week and I was very pleased.  I haven't checked that in probably 8 months or so but everything is way up.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 01:55:07 PM by Mupepe »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4683 on: January 11, 2013, 02:11:57 PM »
I've tried it before and quit for the same reason.  I always felt like I had some left in the tank after a workout and I didn't like it.  But I've heard pretty much nothing but good things for the strength increases on the program so I'm going to try to stick it out this time.  The only programs I've really done are basic linear progression like SS and Pyramid Training.  I was thinking about sticking with linear progression because I've never actually done it without being around 1000 calories below maintenance, so I'm pretty sure I didn't get my full benefit from it.  But I really wanna try something new.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #4684 on: January 11, 2013, 09:34:17 PM »
Well, I've registered for the tourney next weekend.  Wish me luck!

I signed up for both gi and no-gi events.  I rarely train no-gi anymore, but since it's $60 for one event or $80 for both, I thought, fuck it, I'll give it a shot.

Post workout this afternoon, if my office's scale is to be believed, I was 201.5lbs without the gi on, and 206lbs with it, so I should be good to go for the the 202/208lbs class as long as I stay disciplined this week.  (which I will, since I already dropped the cash, and you're DQ'd if you don't make weight)

I'll see about dropping a weight class later in the year, but for now, it's time to see how much the level of competition has risen in the 7 years since I last actively competed.  :lol  .....  :-\
MMA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4685 on: January 11, 2013, 09:35:01 PM »
 :o good luck!
USA

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #4686 on: January 12, 2013, 12:28:17 AM »
Uggggggg......

I never really understood what you guys meant when you said that eating a lot of carbs made you feel sick. 

Now I do.  :-X

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Worth it.   :lol

Carb Nite
[close]
[close]
WTF

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #4687 on: January 12, 2013, 08:52:13 PM »
I've listened to about the first 50 episodes of Robb Wolf's podcast and wow, very good stuff and since I listen to it all day in the office, it is definitely helping in me making the right food choices.  All kinds of creative ways to eat well and manages to shoot giant holes through my bullshit reasoning about hectic work schedules getting in the way of eating better.

Thanks Cormacaroni for the recommendation!
🍆🍆

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #4688 on: January 12, 2013, 11:48:34 PM »
I wanted to post a pic from a comic I found on The Oatmeal about going to the gym, but it looks to be broken.

Here we go:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/gym
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 11:52:01 PM by Groogrux »
WTF

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4689 on: January 13, 2013, 09:25:11 AM »
That was great.

I don't know if you guys follow any of reddits stuff but I do and its usually great. Subredits like:

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto
http://www.reddit.com/r/loseit
http://www.reddit.com/r/progresspics
http://www.reddit.com/r/nakedprogress  :nsfw
http://www.reddit.com/r/getmotivated

So after the 10 days or whatever how you likign Carb Nite Groogrux?
USA

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #4690 on: January 13, 2013, 10:31:51 AM »
I'm actually enjoying the hell out of it!  Kiefer said in the book that on my carb nite, I would feel my body temperature rise from eating carbs and he was so right.  I was sweating like a pig after two hours!

Like Cormac said, it is a form of IF.  I've naturally slipped into fasting and hardly even notice that I haven't eaten in however long.  This made carb nite hard because I think my stomach had already started to adjust to the new ways, and then I loaded all that shit into it, and I woke up the next day with hunger pains for a few hours. 

The two things I have to work on now are eating higher quality proteins when I'm away from home and trying to eat my carbs later in the day.  When I'm at work, I don't really have many options for eating "healthy proteins" that are also filling.  So far, my options have been limited to a turkey jerky that has 2g protein per ounce, and hot dogs with 3g protein, both from a gas station.  I honestly think I'm going to grill up steaks, throw them into ziplock bags, and then reheat them at work.

I really wish I could figure out Reddit.  I just can't navigate it well enough to use it, and I think there's probably a lot of good information to get out of it.
WTF

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4691 on: January 13, 2013, 10:40:57 AM »
thats good. I might try it, i'm plateuing pretty hard and have been for hte past few months  :'( thats why I thought about forgetting the low carb diet and trying a low cal one until the plateau breaks and hitting every macro right on. 

as for reddit, if you go to the new tab like here (http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/new/) thats the newest posts and then If I see a headline I like I usually just hit "Comments" in an ew tab, otherwise it'll open the link up. I find it very motivating.
USA

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #4692 on: January 13, 2013, 02:25:07 PM »
Yeah, I noticed that. 
WTF

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #4693 on: January 13, 2013, 08:45:45 PM »
I think it missed the extremely fit guy that can't quit staring a himself in the mirror.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4694 on: January 13, 2013, 08:55:10 PM »
I'm actually enjoying the hell out of it!  Kiefer said in the book that on my carb nite, I would feel my body temperature rise from eating carbs and he was so right.  I was sweating like a pig after two hours!

Like Cormac said, it is a form of IF.  I've naturally slipped into fasting and hardly even notice that I haven't eaten in however long.  This made carb nite hard because I think my stomach had already started to adjust to the new ways, and then I loaded all that shit into it, and I woke up the next day with hunger pains for a few hours. 

The two things I have to work on now are eating higher quality proteins when I'm away from home and trying to eat my carbs later in the day.  When I'm at work, I don't really have many options for eating "healthy proteins" that are also filling.  So far, my options have been limited to a turkey jerky that has 2g protein per ounce, and hot dogs with 3g protein, both from a gas station.  I honestly think I'm going to grill up steaks, throw them into ziplock bags, and then reheat them at work.

I really wish I could figure out Reddit.  I just can't navigate it well enough to use it, and I think there's probably a lot of good information to get out of it.

A few tips for the day after - don't look at the scale, you'll have gained a ton of water weight, and be aggressive about protein and fat to stave off any lingering carb cravings.

When I backload, I usually eat so much that i'm not even hungry 'til the afternoon of the next day. This is actually a pretty standard eating cycle, in evolutionary terms...those hunter-gatherer types sure weren't eating every 2-3hrs. This puts the whole thing about eating shitty hotdogs from convenience stores into perspective a little perhaps. If you succeed in shifting 50-80% of your daily intake to the evening, you SHOULDN'T need food at any other time. I mean, you should always be ready and able to eat, but it shouldn't be any kind of a problem to go without either. If in doubt about the quality of food available to you during the day, EAT MOAR the night before.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #4695 on: January 13, 2013, 09:49:44 PM »
I hadn't thought of it that way!  Thanks for the advice!

As far as the weight goes, I haven't actually weighed myself directly before or since starting the diet.  I'm letting my body do the talking.  My pants are loose again, and I've had to go down a couple of notches in the belt. 

One question that I've got for you, Cormac, is about exercise.  Kiefer actually recommends NOT exercising during the diet.  He says that under no circumstances should I do cardio, and weight-lifting is OK.  What is your opinion on this?  I've been to the gym twice since I started the diet.  The first day (before I got to that section in the book) I did low-level cardio on the elliptical, and the other I worked on legs and shoulders.  What do you think about it?
WTF

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4696 on: January 13, 2013, 09:54:02 PM »
woahhhh wouldnt that just eat up all your muscles if you dont exercise  ???
USA

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #4697 on: January 13, 2013, 09:58:02 PM »
Not if you eat ridiculous amounts of protein all day. Which if you're keeping under 30 carbs a day and you don't want to starve, that is about the only way to do it.
WTF

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4698 on: January 13, 2013, 10:00:21 PM »
ohhh gotcha.
USA

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4699 on: January 14, 2013, 12:30:46 AM »
Well, Kiefer is very anti-cardio. But you have to take that with a pinch of salt, given his bodybuilding focus (and the fact that he walks around at over 230lbs and wants to keep it that way). His iron-clad belief is that steady state cardio (as opposed to HIIT, Crossfit etc) makes the body more efficient, which makes it want to retain fat. The logic and the science is pretty good there. He has other reasons, but that's the main one - it just doesn't work well for fat loss. I've pretty much always said that you should do that stuff if it's your sport, or you just like it, if you find it relaxing or whatever, or you get some achievement buzz off of it, but that it isn't going to be of much use to anyone for weight loss if you are weight training and eating heavy on the protein/fat end of the dietary scale.

If you are restricting calories, you'll likely lose more weight that way, but you'll lose the stuff you don't want to lose. (You probably recall Kiefer's bit in the book about how that creates a negative cycle, where you lose a bunch of water, lean mass and some fat, then slack off and rebound hard to the same weight as you started...except now your % of lean mass is lower than when you started! Bad times. So the extreme ends of your two branching paths there are emaciation with pitiful lean mass but minimal body fat and likely terrible health, or obesity with pitiful lean mass and likely terrible health...)

Also bear in mind that Kiefer is preaching to highly dedicated athletes who have been conditioned to do heavy cardio for years, thinking it is the only way to go from 6% BF to 4% in time for their bodybuilding meets or whatever. So I think he lays it on super-thick just to get people to do LESS cardio than they currently do. And to get the wider mass of Americans who ONLY do cardio to think about maybe lifting something instead.

Right now, I think Mark Sisson's attitude is more realistic. He talks about a certain weekly energy budget that you can (and should) spend on cardio-type activities before it starts to become a negative. Everyone's spot on the spectrum will likely vary somewhat too, and it's not like going 1% over will suddenly zap away all your muscles and land you in hospital. You can probably do 1-2 hrs / week and still gain strength and lose fat. Would doing so help or hurt? Well, it depends what you're doing the rest of the time. If you are doing a lot of walking, manual labor, playing in the yard with kids, playing pick up ball or whatever, you may well not need to spend any extra time doing that stuff, and the more you do, the more you might be hurting your health/fitness. 
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4700 on: January 14, 2013, 12:41:03 AM »
If you are going to do Kiefer's stuff, your two choices are to do CNS and accept potentially sub-optimal fat loss if you do cardio, and poor results if you lift weights.*

Or you can do CBL with a full-on weightlifting programme and accept a slower rate of fat loss but possibly a more satisfying recomp effect over the long term

*if I was going to do any serious lifting on CNS, I would do it within a day of your Carb Nite (when your glycogen stores are full) and then just do fuck all the rest of the time.  Seriously. If you do a blowout squat/deadlift/press session say, you could easily still gain strength. You could certainly do HIIT there as well to empty out the glycogen stores faster, and get back in fat-burning mode, but you know how shitty hitting rock bottom like that makes you feel. You probably don't want to do that every week, since this is a program you realistically want to stay on for 3 months or so before thinking about a break.
vjj

« Reply #4701 on: January 14, 2013, 04:58:30 PM »
Never take a big crap right before working out and expect consistent, much less improved, performance. I don't know what it is about crapping, but it drains me of mental focus and energy to some extent. I can go from 100% to 85-90% in the span of one dropping, and it takes me about an hour to recover the loss.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 05:01:14 PM by Nintendosbooger »

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #4702 on: January 14, 2013, 05:08:29 PM »
I think that's just you, bub.  I have some of the best workouts after I've taken a gigantic crap.  Otherwise I'm distracted because I'm worried about sharting in my gym shorts while doing a lift.
WTF

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4703 on: January 14, 2013, 06:06:06 PM »
groogrux you said you can basically skip buying the book if you don't want the recipes right?

What is the plan then for that, just limit to 30 carbs at night and eat only between which hours?
USA

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4704 on: January 14, 2013, 06:16:50 PM »
I'm with groogrux.  I make sure to drop a load before every workout.  Feeling nice and empty helps me concentrate

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4705 on: January 14, 2013, 06:46:12 PM »
groogrux you said you can basically skip buying the book if you don't want the recipes right?

What is the plan then for that, just limit to 30 carbs at night and eat only between which hours?

jeez i typed the whole thing up a few pages back, don't make me hurt you
vjj

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4706 on: January 14, 2013, 06:50:08 PM »
:) I mustve spaced it ill go look for it :)

ps ill post some progress pics in the coming weeks then you guys can see im really black  :o :o
USA

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #4707 on: January 14, 2013, 08:21:48 PM »
The big things you DON'T get from not buy the book are the little details.  Like not drinking while on the diet, eating high amounts of protein, and the almost exact description of what your body will go through each step of the way.
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4708 on: January 14, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
The dangerouslyhardcore forums are a good resource as well...CNS is pretty old at this point so the people that have been using it for years (presumably on and off...) have found all sorts of tweaks.
vjj

Pringo

« Reply #4709 on: January 14, 2013, 09:53:42 PM »
Does anyone here have any good guides for home workout routines/equipment? I went to go to the gym the other day but I found out I'll be losing my 50% discount I got for being a student and I'm not paying $50+ a month just for gym access.

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #4710 on: January 14, 2013, 10:02:33 PM »
http://www.costco.com/24-Hour-Fitness-2-year-ALL-CLUB-SPORT-Membership-Certificate.product.11753116.html

Less than $20/month but you have to pay more upfront. 

The main problem with working out at home  is that you probably won't be able to squat heavy, unless you're willing to spend quite a bit, in which case you might as well get a membership. 

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4711 on: January 14, 2013, 10:34:08 PM »
Does anyone here have any good guides for home workout routines/equipment? I went to go to the gym the other day but I found out I'll be losing my 50% discount I got for being a student and I'm not paying $50+ a month just for gym access.

http://brainoverbrawn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/brainoverbrawn.pdf

This free Ebook is great and tells you home equipment to get that isn't like a bench and barbell.
USA

Pringo

« Reply #4712 on: January 14, 2013, 10:58:03 PM »
http://www.costco.com/24-Hour-Fitness-2-year-ALL-CLUB-SPORT-Membership-Certificate.product.11753116.html

Less than $20/month but you have to pay more upfront. 

The main problem with working out at home  is that you probably won't be able to squat heavy, unless you're willing to spend quite a bit, in which case you might as well get a membership.

I don't have a local 24 Hour Fitness. I don't live in a big city so gym selection is somewhat limited. I suppose I can shop around more but unless there's somewhere I've never heard of with great prices things aren't really looking up.

Not having access to a squat rack is one of my concerns. Is there no set of exercises you can do at home that can compensate? I realize it won't be as efficient but I can try to make do if there are other options.

http://brainoverbrawn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/brainoverbrawn.pdf

This free Ebook is great and tells you home equipment to get that isn't like a bench and barbell.

Thanks, I'll give this a look.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4713 on: January 14, 2013, 11:17:50 PM »
you'll have to squat more with less weight, basically. A sandbag would be good if funds are tight. Or squat with dumbells or kettlebells. Or a person on your back, like they do in prison
vjj

Pringo

« Reply #4714 on: January 14, 2013, 11:45:41 PM »
you'll have to squat more with less weight, basically. A sandbag would be good if funds are tight. Or squat with dumbells or kettlebells. Or a person on your back, like they do in prison

Alright. Would there be much of a difference between using dumbells vs. kettlebells for this (or in workouts in general really?) I seem to recall you're a kettlebell proponent from lurking this thread but I have pretty much no experience with them so I'm not exactly sure what benefits they offer over other weights.

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #4715 on: January 14, 2013, 11:53:24 PM »
U can also try hanging kettlebells from a barbell and put it on two chairs

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4716 on: January 15, 2013, 01:01:11 AM »
...or buy a set of squat stands like i did. They're not expensive.

Kettlebells are great but it doesn't matter much for squatting purposes. You'll need a couple of decently heavy KBs to make squatting worthwhile, which will quite possibly cost more than a barbell and squat stands. So you'd need to be using them for something else as well. All I do most of the time is KB stuff, deadlifts and presses at home, and pull-ups at the park or wherever. I believe in simplicity and a low barrier to working out over elaborate routines, programs and equipment mostly. But then I'm 41 and jaded.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4717 on: January 15, 2013, 10:17:09 AM »
There are plenty of good guides online for building your own power rack for 100-200 bucks and you can squat heavy with that plus all the other benefits a power rack brings.  I'm going back to my home gym in a few months and that's the route I'm taking.  If you've got the space, you can't beat a home gym IMO.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #4718 on: January 15, 2013, 12:09:21 PM »
I've been pretty much a clown show of injuries the past few weeks.

Had terrible DOMS in my legs, was working on my back (doing bentover BB rows), but wasn't able to really use my legs to assist on the lift and tweaked my lower back.

Took a few days off and then was doing shoulders. Didn't want to aggravate the lower back so I did seated DB presses instead of OHP. Tweaked something in my elbow. Which really limited me the rest of the week from pushing anything heavy.

Took a few more days off and decided to do legs again because I didn't want to take off too much time and get those DOMs again. I was doing great, feeling good ... but something popped in my lower back when I was doing leg presses (after doing squats). It hurt to even walk the rest of the day.

I handled it all poorly. Maybe I just need to accept that I can't be continually pushing more and more weight. Something is going to give. Focus more on maintenance than growth and progression.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4719 on: January 15, 2013, 02:01:51 PM »
You might need a break.  Have you had one recently?  Just maintain a clean diet and take a week or two off.  Sounds like your body exhausted.

I've been lucky as I haven't hit any injuries yet.  The closest I got was when I started adding in leg presses and really pushing myself.  In a couple of months I added 80 lbs or so onto my leg press 5RM until one day when I pushed the plate and something in my outer thigh popped really loud.  I was able to hold it and rerack the plate with no issues.  I also didn't have any pain, but I wasn't able to push again.  My leg was just done for the moment at least.  So I took a couple of weeks off and came back and never had that problem again.  I've just learned to pace myself instead of measuring my dick by how much weight is racked.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #4720 on: January 15, 2013, 03:22:38 PM »
Well, a break is pretty much mandatory at this point, because my lower back is still inflamed and I don't dare agitate it anymore.

But, I had actually eased back my workouts quite a bit already. Only 4 days a week and 40-60 minutes per. With some real light cardio (10-20 minutes) a few times a week. I was still pushing PR's on my compounds though.

I guess I'll just come back and try something different. Less weight, more reps or maybe just stick to the basics. I just have to fight off that mentality that I am 'falling behind' ... whatever that is.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 03:24:26 PM by ToxicAdam »

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #4721 on: January 15, 2013, 03:40:10 PM »
The dangerouslyhardcore forums are a good resource as well...CNS is pretty old at this point so the people that have been using it for years (presumably on and off...) have found all sorts of tweaks.

I've tried to register at the forums there and can't get them to send me an activation email...
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4722 on: January 15, 2013, 06:32:03 PM »

I've tried to register at the forums there and can't get them to send me an activation email...

they saw you eat that burrito i bet
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #4723 on: January 15, 2013, 09:51:54 PM »

they saw you eat that burrito i bet

WTF

Dickie Dee

« Reply #4724 on: January 15, 2013, 09:58:31 PM »
Is there any link between low carb and depression / anxiety? My mood cratered the last couple of days- this is beyond just feeling like dogshit energy wise for the past week,  I couldn't go to work
___

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4725 on: January 15, 2013, 10:01:11 PM »
there isn't anything proven, but I enterred a EXTREME depression in August when I was doing super low carb. Soooooo
USA

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4726 on: January 15, 2013, 10:42:32 PM »
Good point, Biz. It might also be depressing thinking about how long you have to go? or you might not be enjoying your food because you haven't worked up any good recipes for stuff you like yet...

all the usual anti-depression stuff you should be doing anyway will help - sunshine/vit D, getting outdoors, playing, sex and socializing...as does thinking about the upcoming carb binge (if that's what you're doing) I guess.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4727 on: January 15, 2013, 10:45:10 PM »
It has been so long since I went through this stuff for the first time that I barely remember, but I'm pretty sure any kind of low-carb flu is a one-time deal if it is the first time you've been in ketosis since infancy. The body will go through a bunch of changes to enable that.

If you've done it before and it's just glycogen depletion from ULC or low-carb + a lot of glycolytic activity, it'll go away once you carb up and refill the glycogen stores.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #4728 on: January 15, 2013, 11:00:49 PM »
I can't see how anybody wouldn't like eating low-carb?  I've become such a carnivore that cattle and pigs tremble before me! 

IT'S FUCKING AWESOME.
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4729 on: January 15, 2013, 11:17:27 PM »
Could be he's eating low-quality food, like McDonald's burgers without the buns or some shit. Or he could be counting calories (:wag)

vjj

Dickie Dee

« Reply #4730 on: January 15, 2013, 11:30:42 PM »
Not really, worst thing is probably some pepperoni I got. I was ''ok'' last week, just seemed like standard feeling like crap with no energy and inability to think. This is something decidedly different
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 11:35:09 PM by Mamacint »
___

Dickie Dee

« Reply #4731 on: January 15, 2013, 11:34:30 PM »
Anyways, a bit better tonight - maybe just one of those things
___

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #4732 on: January 16, 2013, 09:16:49 AM »
There is nothing wrong with pepperoni!  Unless you're hardcore paleo (then there's everything wrong with it!).  I'm not really worried too much about following paleo while I'm on the diet right now.  When I get off the diet I'll go back then.

But seriously, I ate a fuckin' steak for breakfast two days ago.  Yesterday was just a plate full of bacon.  Pepperonis are perfect snacks.  So I will reiterate my previous statement.

IT'S.  FUCKING. AWESOME.
WTF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4733 on: January 16, 2013, 10:06:42 AM »
God, I hope he is.  I learned my lesson about skimping on the veggies with paleo.   :-\

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4734 on: January 16, 2013, 10:51:19 AM »
also dont confuse the keto flu for the actual flu going around rightn ow. I never got the keto flu but I have this actual flu and it sucks and I can't drink coffee without burning up / working ouit without suffering a heart attache :piss. i've had it for a week now :piss
USA

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #4735 on: January 16, 2013, 11:26:02 AM »
Are you eating vegetables?

There aren't many veggies that can be consumed for under 30g carbs a day.  I am taking multi-vitamins though to help with the nutrient loss from not eating veggies.

[Edit] Although, I am going to head to the grocery to get some broccoli and celery since they're two of the lowest.  Maybe some leafy greens too, cause I can mix that in with some vinegar and olive oil for a salad that stays under 6g carbs.

[2nd Edit]  Was that question to me or Mamacint?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 11:30:24 AM by Groogrux »
WTF

Dickie Dee

« Reply #4736 on: January 16, 2013, 11:28:27 AM »
Not saying all pepperoni is bad - just this was particularly dirty corner store pepperoni.

I've been pretty good about eating veggies, my lunch everyday is a big ass salad. I was worried all those veggies would add up to carbs but my blood sugars don't rise much (have I mentioned I'm Type 1 diabetic?) I don't think it was the keto-flu, I mean I definitely had that to the point I wasn't sure if I could continue but this was a bit different.

closest thing I can compare it too is when I used to be an drinker and how it felt the first few days when I'd try and stop. The depression/anxiety has the same feel. I'm pretty sure it's not just a "mood" but something funky going on upstairs
[close]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 11:30:18 AM by Mamacint »
___

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4737 on: January 16, 2013, 11:56:51 AM »
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah8MbmZepQxWdGo4bnB2QmxxMUlmTzZUTXYzMURRLWc#gid=0

check that out groogux thatll let you know a general estimate for veggies. you should be able to have a nice salad for like 5 carbs.

1 cup of lettuce is ALOT.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:00:04 PM by MyNameIsMethodis »
USA

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #4738 on: January 16, 2013, 12:05:45 PM »
That is an awesome list!  Was that on r/keto or something?
WTF

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4739 on: January 16, 2013, 12:14:26 PM »
yeah. they have a cool FAQ also

http://www.reddit.com/help/faqs/keto
USA