Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 816981 times)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Re: FitnessBore - 2013 edition
« Reply #5460 on: March 12, 2013, 02:16:17 AM »
Cormac, can you please recommend some Omega 3 oils?

I remember you saying something recently about how it has to be liver oil or something like that

Been doing squats and benching  :-[

Can you bench 2 plates?

well, the current platonic ideal seems to be Fermented Cod Liver Oil (FCLO) but there is only one company that makes it and it is insanely expensive. Even Eric P tapped out after a month on it (which seemed to go very well) and it is WAY too expensive for me to import.

I take various fish oil tablets or lemon-infused cod liver oil, but mostly I just eat a bunch of salmon fillets and other seafood.

The weather is awesome right now so just got back from my first sprint session at the park since probably last October or so. Feels great to be done with it but I am DEAD.

Andy, CBL needs a lot more tweaking than CNS. You could very easily find yourself gaining weight instead of losing it. Until you get rid of a bunch more fat, I would stick with CNS and just try to keep your weights as soon after carb nite as possible. Performance has to be secondary to losing fat and getting healthy. If you need more energy before a workout, DRINK MORE COFFEE! It mobilizes fat, among other things.
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #5461 on: March 12, 2013, 03:07:36 AM »
when I started paleo: 191

now: 176

yay
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5462 on: March 12, 2013, 03:26:07 AM »
burning question: how long before the Pics thread is all Brand New and his abs?
vjj

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #5463 on: March 12, 2013, 07:16:10 AM »
Hopefully sooner than later
:9

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #5464 on: March 12, 2013, 07:22:22 AM »
Cormac, can you please recommend some Omega 3 oils?

I remember you saying something recently about how it has to be liver oil or something like that

Been doing squats and benching  :-[

Can you bench 2 plates?

well, the current platonic ideal seems to be Fermented Cod Liver Oil (FCLO) but there is only one company that makes it and it is insanely expensive. Even Eric P tapped out after a month on it (which seemed to go very well) and it is WAY too expensive for me to import.

shit's crazy expensive.  like $50 for a month's supply.  I did two bottles, felt good but then had to stop.  i currently don't do anything other than magnesium citrate, k2 and still doing the liver pills (because they're 500 to a bucket.  doubt i'll do them again).

cbl is really weird.  i'm doing bodyweight exercises so i don't know if i'm getting a full benefit.  my weight fluctuates all over the place but i have gone down a belt loop in 3 weeks something that hasn't happened in a while

Tonya

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #5465 on: March 12, 2013, 08:07:48 AM »
I take Fermented Cod Liver Oil and it is great for my skin as I have a form of dermatitis.

It is extremely expensive and it isn't always easily available.  So if you have the spare cash, get 2-3 bottles at a minimum.
🍆🍆

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #5466 on: March 12, 2013, 08:27:38 AM »
Andy, CBL needs a lot more tweaking than CNS. You could very easily find yourself gaining weight instead of losing it. Until you get rid of a bunch more fat, I would stick with CNS and just try to keep your weights as soon after carb nite as possible. Performance has to be secondary to losing fat and getting healthy. If you need more energy before a workout, DRINK MORE COFFEE! It mobilizes fat, among other things.
Yeah, I thought I had read that from John Kiefer that CBL was for gaining mass with minimal fat gain and Carb Nite was for losing fat without losing muscle mass and that the two were not interchangeable for the same goals. 

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #5467 on: March 12, 2013, 11:38:45 AM »
haha, this is what happens when the thread dies for a week, you all leap off the wagon with both feet

Forgive me Cormac for I have sinned. It has been 2 weeks since my last confession.
___

Dickie Dee

« Reply #5468 on: March 12, 2013, 11:43:43 AM »
I wish I had a proper scale that I could weigh myself maybe once a week on. I got a bathroom scale and even knowing not to question every fluctuation and probable measurement error and trying to mentally fit a trend to the scatter - it's still all fucked and I can't make heads or tails of my body's responses.

After plateauing for a couple of weeks my weight just seemed to plunge like 5+ lbs overnight.
___

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #5469 on: March 12, 2013, 01:05:49 PM »
I wish I had a proper scale that I could weigh myself maybe once a week on. I got a bathroom scale and even knowing not to question every fluctuation and probable measurement error and trying to mentally fit a trend to the scatter - it's still all fucked and I can't make heads or tails of my body's responses.

After plateauing for a couple of weeks my weight just seemed to plunge like 5+ lbs overnight.
The problem with shittier scales is just how inaccurate they are.  Stepping on a slightly different area can change it 2 to 3 lbs sometimes.  It sucks.  When I was obsessed with the number on the scale I placed tape where my heel and big toe should go so that I stepped on it the same way every time.  Kinda (okay, not kinda. Completely) pathetic.  But it did help with my OCD issues regarding weight.

Plateauing and then dropping large amounts of weight really fast is pretty common.  A few studies have been done and one of the prevailing theories is that depleted fat cells hold a lot of water and after a while the body will drop the water weight from it and so you'll see on the scale 2 to 3 weeks of weight loss in one or two days. 

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #5470 on: March 13, 2013, 12:20:34 AM »
think I'll try this for two months,

http://livesuperfoods.com/green-pastures-blue-ice-royal-capsules.html

It's relatively affordable and reviews are excellent

Smooth Groove

« Reply #5471 on: March 13, 2013, 02:07:56 AM »
Anyone try sleeping on a hard surface?

I've been sleeping on the floor lately and it seems to help a lot with back and legs recovery

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #5472 on: March 13, 2013, 08:32:12 AM »
fuck that :lol  I'll sleep in my bed.  My recoveries are just fine  :P

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5473 on: March 13, 2013, 09:10:14 AM »
spending some of your TV / game / reading time on the floor instead of the couch is a good thing for recovery and flexibility. It's a pretty easy way to keep some flexibility without feeling like you're working. Just the natural shifting around you do to keep the blood flowing is basic maintenance that's worth doing I think
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #5474 on: March 13, 2013, 09:19:28 AM »
sounds reasonable.  But I'm sleeping in my damn bed.  I'm stubborn that way.  That's a line I will not cross!

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #5475 on: March 13, 2013, 12:09:11 PM »
Tonya

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5476 on: March 13, 2013, 12:18:31 PM »
Is Salon a joke site
USA

Dickie Dee

« Reply #5477 on: March 13, 2013, 02:35:09 PM »
I'm skeptical of some of the paleo tenets. I haven't done a ton of reading on it but I always got the feeling that the whole caveman argument was a logical fallacy of some sort.

And apart from honest-to-goodness celiacs and people with wheat allergies there are almost certainly people glomming onto the whole "gluten senstive" fad that will move onto something else shortly.

Still, it probably has value if only in recognizing that alot of modern foods have us basically freebasing carbs in ways that are probably unhealthy. I dunno.
___

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5478 on: March 13, 2013, 03:31:42 PM »
im not a doctor or cormac but i can see how the CAVEMEN stuff is a little weird, but the basic core fundamentals of the paleo movement (don't eat grains, limit carbs, body weight fitness) is smart dieting. I never bought into the whole "only buy grass fed meat / eat earthly" even when I started dieting and was very paleo.

Can't believe I used to run around in the snow barefoot though  :lol :lol
USA

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #5479 on: March 13, 2013, 04:37:26 PM »
I follow the guidelines that I do because it works.  It's the same reason I do carb nite.  It's not because I believe it's the optimal way my body evolved (obviously far from it regarding carb nite).  It's just that it works.  When people ask me about how I eat I don't start talking about toxins and shit, I just tell them about the chemical and hormonal reactions that occur due to the way I eat and how it effects my body. 

For the record, I'm not saying paleo is necessarily wrong or right.  I just don't care.  If something more effective was to come around I'd do that.  But so far paleo/ULC guidelines are what have gotten me results.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #5480 on: March 13, 2013, 06:59:53 PM »
yeah i personally haven't considered myself paleo for a long time.  i just eat whole foods.  I don't follow any paleo blogs anymore except Paleodrama because I am easily amused.
Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5481 on: March 13, 2013, 07:47:53 PM »
the article is absurd. Adaptation CAN occur very quickly but that doesn't mean it DID in this case. Some populations are pretty well adapted to grains, either genetically or via their lifestyles and the rest of their diets. But they aren't the ones reading Paleo blogs or Slate articles - they're the people who've probably never touched a computer. And even those populations become obese and sick quickly whenever they're placed in a processed carb and sugar Wonderland like the US of A. No-one is adapted well to that
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5482 on: March 13, 2013, 11:35:13 PM »
this guy is my brother

vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #5483 on: March 14, 2013, 12:59:27 AM »
That guy is a beast

I'd love to train with him

Whip me into shape in no time

Smooth Groove

« Reply #5484 on: March 15, 2013, 03:32:48 AM »
For those of you who've trained at least 6 months, how do you feel after most of your workouts?

Just wondering because I still get sore quite often, even though I've been training pretty consistently for 18 months

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5485 on: March 15, 2013, 03:48:31 AM »
the latest Paleo solution goes over some of the Westside stuff Smooth - the rationale behind chains etc. Marc Bell is the guest, who is also a big proponent of Kiefer's stuff. Good listen

Soreness doesn't ever really stop if you train hard but serious DOMS shouldn't be occurring regularly unless you are doing new exercises (or just go completely OTT, like a 20rep squat or something). I got it a lot when doing Crossfit (and doing random shit all the time) but just doing kettlebell stuff of equivalent intensity doesn't give me DOMS 'cause they are movements i'm used to.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #5486 on: March 15, 2013, 08:41:04 AM »
I haven't fallen off the workout wagon in a year and a half now.  I still get sore after every workout, but the debilitating pain I used to get on leg days doesn't happen anymore.  but if I poke my thighs or something it's definitely sore. 

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #5487 on: March 15, 2013, 10:48:25 AM »
I still get sore all the time. Nothing debilitating though.

The only exception is if I skip leg days a few weeks and then I will get those "walking down the stairs funny" DOM's the next time I work them hard. So, I have learned to 1) never skip leg days or 2) go real easy the first time I work them out after skipping them.

Beezy

« Reply #5488 on: March 15, 2013, 10:56:49 AM »
If I don't get sore I feel like I didn't get a good workout in. Last year I was in a car accident and people asked me if I was sore. I had to tell them that I didn't know because I work out.

:bow :bow :bow

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #5489 on: March 15, 2013, 12:40:59 PM »
this guy is my brother

"You look like all the nerds just had a convention on your body. Like all the nerds in the world said you know what? I know where to go."

:rofl
Unzip

Smooth Groove

« Reply #5490 on: March 15, 2013, 10:07:53 PM »
the latest Paleo solution goes over some of the Westside stuff Smooth - the rationale behind chains etc. Marc Bell is the guest, who is also a big proponent of Kiefer's stuff. Good listen

Soreness doesn't ever really stop if you train hard but serious DOMS shouldn't be occurring regularly unless you are doing new exercises (or just go completely OTT, like a 20rep squat or something). I got it a lot when doing Crossfit (and doing random shit all the time) but just doing kettlebell stuff of equivalent intensity doesn't give me DOMS 'cause they are movements i'm used to.

thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out

I guess I get sore because I ball regularly in addition to lifting heavy

Every week, I tried to get stronger, whether if it's more weight or an extra rep

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #5491 on: March 15, 2013, 10:10:33 PM »
So 2 1/2 months and I'm almost benching a 45 and 25 on each side. Two plates here I come. Benching 165 currently (I weigh 180) and felt really strong doing them earlier today. Good workout.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 10:12:37 PM by BlueTsunami »

Smooth Groove

« Reply #5492 on: March 15, 2013, 10:43:41 PM »
good job, Blue

if that hot chick is watching, remember to have your dad spot you for 2 plates while yelling "it's all you!"

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5493 on: March 16, 2013, 05:15:43 PM »
I got stupidly drunk two days ago  off of Vodka and in the process broke my plateu and lost 5lbs.

Bodies are fucking weird

edit grats blue :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 05:18:40 PM by MyNameIsMethodis »
USA

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #5494 on: March 16, 2013, 07:51:30 PM »
I got stupidly drunk two days ago  off of Vodka and in the process broke my plateu and lost 5lbs.

Bodies are fucking weird

edit grats blue :)
alcohol is a great way to purge water weight

Fifstar

« Reply #5495 on: March 16, 2013, 08:13:37 PM »
Soda is probably the easiest way to get fat. I remember a dude in a pen & paper rpg group that was super fat and always used to bring 6 big bottles of and than procedded to drink 3 of those over the course of a couple hours.

Although I think it's even crazier that normal juice that is often regarded as healthy actually has the same amount of sugar
Gulp

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #5496 on: March 16, 2013, 09:50:32 PM »
Bringing a personal 2 liter soda to anything gaming related is totally a neckbeard thing to do

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #5497 on: March 17, 2013, 01:45:19 PM »
I've been soda free for two years, thank god.

Although I love a good Dr. Pepper  :'(
püp

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5498 on: March 17, 2013, 05:08:40 PM »
Mountain Dew was literally the only thing I used to drink and i'd drink a 12 pack of cans a day. I'm glad I don't touch that shit anymore. Hell soda and home baked stuff with milk in it I can't eat at all anymore without getting a really disgusting aftertaste of syrup/milk
USA

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #5499 on: March 17, 2013, 06:23:48 PM »
Bringing a personal 2 liter soda to anything gaming related is totally a neckbeard thing to do
Tennis players do this all the time. No neckberads either.
:{]

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #5500 on: March 17, 2013, 06:24:18 PM »
One of the black sisters almost has one though.
:{]

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #5501 on: March 17, 2013, 08:40:23 PM »
Well, I have rediscovered that age-old most effective weight loss method.

Getting really fucking sick.

Laid up with what I assume was the flu since Wednesday, and have dropped 5-8 pounds since then.

Touched the scales at 192.6 lbs today, a low that I am pretty sure I have not seen on a scale since the Vancouver Olympics in February 2010.

I was hoping to hit that mark sometime in the next couple months, y'know, healthily, but fuck it, right?  :-\
MMA

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #5502 on: March 17, 2013, 08:42:29 PM »
Mountain Dew was literally the only thing I used to drink and i'd drink a 12 pack of cans a day. I'm glad I don't touch that shit anymore. Hell soda and home baked stuff with milk in it I can't eat at all anymore without getting a really disgusting aftertaste of syrup/milk

I used to clear a cube of Mountain Dew Code Red every weekend.  It was about $4 so it wasn't a big investment either.
🍆🍆

Dickie Dee

« Reply #5503 on: March 17, 2013, 08:51:44 PM »
google "Mountain Dew Mouth"
___

Oblivion

« Reply #5504 on: March 18, 2013, 06:12:06 AM »
So I'm somewhat proud of myself. I've went to the gym two weeks in a row, which for me is a new record! :rock

Yeah, yeah I know, that's somewhat pathetic, but before every time I signed up for the gym, something got in the way (school, work, laziness, etc.), so two weeks in a row is a pretty big deal for me. More importantly, though, I think I'm actually seeing results! My biceps actually feel firmer/harder, even when I'm not flexing! That's never happened before. Usually, after a workout they'd appear firmer/harder (which I'm pretty sure is SUPPOSED to happen), but after a few hours they turn to jelly again. My last trip was on Friday, so it does seem this is providing me dividends.

Who woulda thought you'd see improvement by actually sticking to something? :rock

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #5505 on: March 18, 2013, 07:06:20 AM »
google "Mountain Dew Mouth"

I'm too afraid to see what I'll find when I google that.  I will say that I never got a cavity during those years.
🍆🍆

Oblivion

« Reply #5506 on: March 18, 2013, 07:24:42 AM »
According to the google, Mountain Dew mouth mainly occurs in redneck areas where the denizens don't get any dental care.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #5507 on: March 18, 2013, 07:32:16 AM »
(He means places like where I live.)
WTF

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #5508 on: March 18, 2013, 08:54:52 AM »
broke paleo for a carbnite and it didn't go well
had a girlscout cookie shake and and i couldn't sleep because i had to uh, be close to the bathroom
everything finally calmed down for me around 3 am and i was able to get a few hours of sleep
Tonya

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #5509 on: March 18, 2013, 09:02:27 AM »
carb nites will do that to you.  carb nite always cleans out my system  :-\  My carb nite included alcohol this time.  Lots of it.  Bleh.  It was fun but I felt like ass all day yesterday.  And it wasn't a hangover.  It was just extreme lethargy.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #5510 on: March 18, 2013, 03:40:08 PM »
I had no idea until carb nite that it's possible to plug a toilet just with poop before even getting to the TP
___

drew

• sy
« Reply #5511 on: March 21, 2013, 11:42:46 PM »
is this a good deal for a kettlebell? also do you think i should get the 35 pound one instead?

https://www.onnit.com/onnit-kettlebells/?pid=184

65 bucks for a 45 pounder, not including shipping, afraid of what that'll come to :-X

Himu

« Reply #5512 on: March 22, 2013, 10:30:47 AM »
Second day of crossfit.

Ten minutes of:

7 jumping pull ups, 12 weight swings, 10 sit ups. Made it to round 6.

So far leg doms are completely gone. Hopefully this means I can have a peaceful poop for a change.

Haven't barfed yet today. Probably helps I didn't eat breakfast before going to the gym like last time  (god I am so fucking stupid)
IYKYK

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5513 on: March 22, 2013, 12:36:34 PM »
is this a good deal for a kettlebell? also do you think i should get the 35 pound one instead?

https://www.onnit.com/onnit-kettlebells/?pid=184

65 bucks for a 45 pounder, not including shipping, afraid of what that'll come to :-X

cormac can go more into it but if you haven't lifted before or used a kettlebell get a 30-35 lb one thats the "starter male" pound.
USA

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #5514 on: March 22, 2013, 05:38:33 PM »
Yeah, I keep a 25lb bell at home and that's a good one for me.  30-35 is good too.  Also, Walmart is a thing, bro.  I think I gave $20 for mine.
WTF

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5515 on: March 22, 2013, 06:37:59 PM »
just don't get a two piece one they have a bad history of breaking and potentially killing you
USA

Himu

« Reply #5516 on: March 23, 2013, 04:13:28 PM »
Is it normal to fart when doing heavy exercises?
IYKYK

Smooth Groove

« Reply #5517 on: March 23, 2013, 06:11:14 PM »
No, just depends on what and when you ate before working out

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #5518 on: March 23, 2013, 10:14:21 PM »
Is it normal to fart when doing heavy exercises?

I think it was Mups and I who discussed this a while back.  Yeah, when doing squats or deadlifts, I sometimes get the sneak-attack fart that finds its way out.  I usually go on like nothing happened.
WTF

Himu

« Reply #5519 on: March 24, 2013, 02:44:21 AM »
I always do it during sit ups. :lol
IYKYK