Author Topic: 10 hardcore Reasons to Get a Wii *NOW*  (Read 17521 times)

10 hardcore Reasons to Get a Wii *NOW*
« on: January 04, 2010, 04:36:49 PM »

The mongrels on this message board would have every newcomer believe that the console market leading Nintendo Wii is devoid of a solid catalogue of hardcore games and is nothing more than a casual-purpose video game machine. The fact of the matter is, neither of these allegations is true and I will illustrate to some of the more frustrated unknowledgeable gamers on this forum, both members and lurkers alike, that the Wii is possessed with plethora of great hardcore titles.

Now, according to popular legend, a video game console with a traditional price tag is worth its weight in gold if it has at least 10 excellent-to-great games to complement it. At least 10 according to an age-old video game console formula. My responsibility from this point on is to show to you these 10 games, and let you be the judge. By the end of this post, you will be convinced that the Wii is a solid instrument of video game goodness.

Super Mario Galaxy
Metacritic Score: 97

The number one platformer this generation. Super Mario Galaxy has come to galvanize the entire video game community. Great controls, level design, and art makes this one of the best games of any platform this generation or past ones.

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metacritic Score: 95

The haters will claim that the GC port (which was released later, mind you) was the superior version, but don’t listen to them. If you’re not playing this on the Wii, you’re not playing the best Zelda game to come out since OoT.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Metacritic Score: 90

A stunning end to an excellent trilogy. Metroid Prime 3 is how FPA (First-Person-Adventure) should be done. If you haven’t played the games, I recommend the trilogy set that is on sale now for a cheap price. All 3 games, the full trilogy, in one package.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Metacritic Score: 87

The idiots here will scoff at the notion of labeling this juggernaut as a hardcore title, but this is what it is: a traditional 2D Mario side-scroller that is every bit as hardcore as classic 2D Marios that came before it.

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

One of the earlier Wii titles, Zack & Wiki has developed a cult following by being among the first third party attempts to illustrate the strengths of Wii’s controls.

Little King's Story

Perhaps the best 3rd party game to be released in 2009, with Silent Hill: Shattered Memories closely following it. If you’re a fan of RTS, then this is the hardcore title to pick up. The only downside is the lack of Wii-mote functionality.

LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias
Metacritic Score: 86

Superb and relatively short WiiWare action/adventure game that set the bar for future releases on the service. It is better than the original in almost every conceivable way, including art and gameplay.

Punch-Out!!
Metacritic Score: 86

In the old days, there were 2 sports games that captivated the video game industry and community: Tecmo Bowl and the original Mike Tyson’s Punchout for the NES. This game is total fan service but it delivers and maintains the hardcore explosion /challenge of its 8-bit predecessor. Don’t be fooled by its appearance. It’s a pretty deep boxing game.

Super Paper Mario
Metacritic Score: 85

I’ve yet to pick up this title (on my backlog, however), but I’ve heard nothing but positive things with respect to this platformer/RPG. If you love other Mario titles, then you might want to check this baby out.

No More Heroes
Metacritic Score: 83

Suda 51’s best game this generation. This is THE definition of an over-the-top action game, superbly executed and punctuated with enough violence, gore, and explicit language to make even the most hardcore gamer spine tingle before rupturing altogether.

Now, you’ll notice, while glancing at my list, that I’ve omitted other top-ranked hardcore games, like  Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition and Tiger Woods Golf, along with some multi-console titles. They were left out to discourage the further defamation toward the console on account of it having a few ports here and there. With these awesome game, the excellent games I've not mentioned, and the great hardcore games (e.g., NMH2, RS2, S&P2) soon to be released, I can't imagine any hardcore gamer's appetite being honestly addressed this generation without this console.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Re: 10 hardcore Reasons to Get a Wii *NOW*
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 04:40:12 PM »
Pass.
PSP

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 04:41:40 PM »
I remember when "hardcore game" was reserved for impossibly difficult shmups, complex strategy games with minimal UI and weird Eastern bloc RPGs. It sure as hell didn't refer to Mario platformers.

Then again, I also remember laffing at some ntards who claimed that Kirby Air Ride was just too hardcore for the mainstream FPS loving Xbots, so hey.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 04:44:10 PM »
am I supposed to point out that that's a screen from Killer 7 or would I be playing into his trolling tactics..?

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 04:45:19 PM »
Ignoring this troll thread, I'm still surprised at everyone always bringing up RE4 Wii edition. I already played it on the Gamecube, is added waggle support really that good?
野球

Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich

• •••
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 04:45:22 PM »
Wii has... Ultimate Shooting Collection (the pack with Radilgy and two other games) and... shit, I've got nothing.
うぐう

Bebpo

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 04:46:32 PM »
Does anyone else find it hilarious that the OP can't even find 10 actually good games on the system he is trying to sell?

Super Paper Mario?  The consensus is that the game was awful
Zack & Wiki?  Was not particularly well received by players.  Months later everyone just talks about how bad the game was.
Punchout?  Good for 2 hours.
Lost Winds?  Really?  A reason to buy the Wii?

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 04:48:09 PM »
Ignoring this troll thread, I'm still surprised at everyone always bringing up RE4 Wii edition. I already played it on the Gamecube, is added waggle support really that good?

you get the assignment ada missions, which are so-so

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 04:48:52 PM »
No More Heroes
Metacritic Score: 83

This is THE definition of an over-the-top action game, superbly executed and punctuated with enough violence, gore, and explicit language to make even the most hardcore gamer spine tingle before rupturing altogether.

You misspelled Bayonetta, dude.

I've been interested in NMH, but it's coming out for the PS3 and 360, so no need to get a Wii.

No.  Makes the game too easy.

That's what I figured.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 04:50:24 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 04:49:35 PM »
I've been interested in NMH, but it's coming out for the PS3, so no need to get a Wii.

:bow Real video game systems :bow2

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 04:52:10 PM »
I've actually played Little King's Story.  :yuck

I have no idea what you guys are smoking.
野球

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 04:52:47 PM »
TEN HARDCORE REASONS TO BUY A WII

#1-6: Mario

#7: Zelda

#8: Metroid

#9-10: Nintendo Franchises nobody remembers
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 04:54:18 PM »
While incredibly ~uguu, Little King's Story is a pretty awesome game. The closest comparison I can make is Pikmin but with a better story mode and deeper strategy elements.

It's a nice game but the start is pretty slow, which is why I still haven't played it beyond the first few bits.

drew

• sy
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 04:56:03 PM »
there are hundreds of hardcore reason to own an xbox 360 :smug

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 04:58:02 PM »
Does anyone else find it hilarious that the OP can't even find 10 actually good games on the system he is trying to sell?

Super Paper Mario?  The consensus is that the game was awful
Zack & Wiki?  Was not particularly well received by players.  Months later everyone just talks about how bad the game was.
Punchout?  Good for 2 hours.
Lost Winds?  Really?  A reason to buy the Wii?

I've added the metacritic scores to show you that these games were well received despite your specific preferences.

As for the last pic, that wasn't the link I should have pasted, but I'm too busy to change that right now.

drew

• sy
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
The haters will claim that the GC port (which was released later, mind you) was the superior version, but don’t listen to them. If you’re not playing this on the Wii, you’re not playing the best Zelda game to come out since OoT.

oh, so the 70 hours i spent on the gamecube version didnt count? thats weird because i thought they were the same exact game, except the wii version had tacked on bullshit and slapped the wii logo on the box to try and move units of their new system, everyone knows the wii wasnt worth getting until super mario galaxy, except for ninthings like yourself

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 05:04:29 PM »
there are hundreds of hardcore reason to own an xbox 360 :smug

Make a list with pictures and metacritic scores so I can check them out. You people call me troll this or joke that but at least I'm putting solid effort in my threads to back my arguments.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 05:04:44 PM »
am I supposed to point out that that's a screen from Killer 7 or would I be playing into his trolling tactics..?
i swear i was wondering the same thing...
Zack & Wiki?  Was not particularly well received by players.  Months later everyone just talks about how bad the game was.
Punchout?  Good for 2 hours.
this reply is somewhat wrong but...
I've actually played Little King's Story.  :yuck

I have no idea what you guys are smoking.

NOT AS THIS ONE! WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 05:06:47 PM by magus »
<----

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 05:08:31 PM »
Yeah yeah, I know. I just don't get it.
野球

drew

• sy
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 05:11:03 PM »
yeah no thanks, i dont really feel the need to defend something i own, i think the list of good games speak for themselves :smug

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 05:12:17 PM »
Why would the lack of Waggle be a bad thing? I just downloaded Little King Story after reading that. Will play asap.
fat

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 05:19:37 PM »
You forgot the pictures. Therefore, you fail.

::)
野球

Jansen

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 05:20:56 PM »
FU KOSMA :'(
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 05:22:30 PM by Jansen »

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 05:21:01 PM »
野球

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 05:21:23 PM »
Super Paper Mario is AWFUL. Jesus Christ. I'm not even going to go into the rest of the list, but that game is shitty shitty shit shit.
乱学者

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 05:24:20 PM »
 :lol

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 05:26:14 PM »
Uh oh, he's still in the tread. Looks like we're all gonna get served pretty soon...
野球

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2010, 05:27:24 PM »
Why would the lack of Waggle be a bad thing? I just downloaded Little King Story after reading that. Will play asap.

Dude, do you have a problem with actually buying games?

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2010, 05:27:32 PM »
where is geometry wars galaxies, which is actually BETTER than the hd equivalents
duc

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2010, 05:29:29 PM »
where is geometry wars galaxies, which is actually BETTER than the hd equivalents
80%
too low on the gameranking list to be noticed
<----

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2010, 05:29:57 PM »

Dude, do you have a problem with actually buying games?

Not at all, I buy lots of Xbox 360 games  :lol
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2010, 05:30:41 PM »
This thread automatically fails for not having Boom Blox or Endless Ocean.
dog

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2010, 05:34:23 PM »
Also where is Trauma Center?  can we get a real Wii fan in here and ltf?

I love me some Trauma Center.  :heartbeat

The way the main dude always raises his hand like he's going to pimp slap someone right before a stage starts is awesome.
dap

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2010, 05:35:56 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

The problem is that a lot of game review outlets are still ruled by traditionalists and Wii haters. A lot of Wii games are scored obscenely lower than they should, while HD games are scored more favorably. I really can't take those scores seriously considering the lack of journalistic integrity and responsibility in today's video game media, which explains why I draw from sales figures to help reinforce some of my points.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2010, 05:37:45 PM »
:rofl
fat

drew

• sy
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2010, 05:38:16 PM »
nintendosbooger is on the right track in his last post, except the problem there is that bioshlock and gtaiv are up on top when there should be saints row 2 and some other shooter that doesnt have an environment that is soul crushing

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2010, 05:39:04 PM »
"Transformers 2 must be a really awesome movie since it made so much money. You just can't trust the reviewers to give you an honest opinion!"
dog

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2010, 05:40:16 PM »
<----

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2010, 05:41:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure Nintendosbooger is the real deal. If he were a troll he would have listed The Conduit.
zzzzz

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2010, 05:45:41 PM »
I listed the top games on metacritica, not all of them being my favorite and I've never played SMP (as stated in the OP). The point I'm trying to illustrate is that there are good, critically acclaimed and favorably scored hardcore games out there. I love Silent Hill: SM and Muramasa, but I didn't want review junkies here to trash those titles on the basis of these scores even though they're awesome.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2010, 05:48:35 PM »
Yeah, I play real games. Have fun with, uh, whatever it is you're playing.
PSP

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2010, 05:49:26 PM »
hardcore = not Wii Fit?

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2010, 05:49:48 PM »
Yeah, I play real games. Have fun with, uh, whatever it is you're playing.

Wii games are real games. Only insecure fanbois would think otherwise.

Boring having the same argument with the same manchildren day in and day out.
dap

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2010, 05:51:38 PM »
The wii has games ???
PSP

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2010, 05:52:05 PM »
Stupid.  ::)
dap

Beezy

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2010, 05:53:38 PM »
You know what else is critically acclaimed? GTA4.

You know what isn't? God Hand. Fuck critics.

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2010, 05:55:06 PM »

Always wanted to play that fucking game! After the PS2 I bought strictly for Culdcept died, though, I wasn't about to get another one.
dap

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2010, 05:56:48 PM »

http://www.gamerankings.com/ds/925583-mystery-dungeon-shiren-the-wanderer/index.html
FUCK YOU IGN FUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
<----

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2010, 05:57:39 PM »
Yeah, isn't that why we only talk about games with a Metacritic rating of 80 or higher? I always assumed it was somewhere in the the fine print.
PSP

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2010, 05:58:09 PM »
talking about the wii, like playing the wii, is so fucking boring

Beezy

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2010, 06:04:30 PM »

Always wanted to play that fucking game! After the PS2 I bought strictly for Culdcept died, though, I wasn't about to get another one.
You have to know someone with a PS2 that they're not using right now. Borrow that shit and play God Hand.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2010, 06:04:58 PM »
[youtube=560,345]OWGTA9w4OD8[/youtube]
fat

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2010, 06:07:23 PM »
Kosma got trolled hard.
🍆🍆

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2010, 06:17:43 PM »
i think if nintendosbooger stays much longer there's gonna be some kinda ironic posting event horizon where the psyches of eb members are permanently altered
wtc

drew

• sy
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2010, 06:18:01 PM »
Wii games are real games. Only insecure fanbois would think otherwise.

Boring having the same argument with the same manchildren day in and day out.

...you do know what a joke is right?

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2010, 06:18:11 PM »

:rock

God Hand was fucking awesome. Never played MadWorld, even though it looked to be a spiritual successor.. but I heard it wasn't that good. ???
^_^

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2010, 06:20:02 PM »
...you do know what a joke is right?

Boring hearing the same jokes from the same manchildren day in and day out.
dap

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2010, 06:21:30 PM »
OP confirms that the Wii is a piece of shit.

drew

• sy
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2010, 06:21:43 PM »
oh ok just checking

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2010, 06:26:02 PM »
I don't really understand what the point of trolling the Wii in 2010 is supposed to be. Is it... funny? No. Is it... the mewling of overly sensitive console supporters who claim to not give a fuck about sales figures but secretly pray that their console of choice would sell as well as the Wii for just one fucking quarter?

Could be!
dap