Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3055954 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #18300 on: September 19, 2017, 10:58:47 AM »

WALK AND RUN TO THE RIGHT

AND SOMETIMES TO THE LEFT

lol what the fuck is this? a slightly interactive visual novel?

©@©™

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18301 on: September 19, 2017, 12:46:46 PM »
Remakes, ports, new games, sequels, whatever. As far as I'm concerned I'm loving the Japanese game scene these days. I'm even excited to see what the Switch brings us. PS4, PC, and hopefully the switch have been such a boom for Japanese games.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18302 on: September 19, 2017, 05:13:14 PM »

FatalT

« Reply #18303 on: September 19, 2017, 06:29:43 PM »
October is gonna be WIIILD!

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #18304 on: September 19, 2017, 07:47:56 PM »
Stopped being able to enjoy GT4, found out Forza 7 demo is coming out today, excellent timing. :rock

Forza 7 is probably shit, but at least there's a fucking demo.

I'm really considering buying a copy of GT4 (never played it) since I have my PS2 hooked up but my backlog is pretty nuts as is  :'(

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18305 on: September 19, 2017, 11:46:49 PM »

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #18306 on: September 20, 2017, 07:21:09 AM »
Hi

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #18307 on: September 20, 2017, 07:17:54 PM »
It's an old hardware production trick. A lot of older drum machines etc would have subdivisions limited to 8th notes so doubling or quadrupling the tempo let you get 16th/32nd notes

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18308 on: September 20, 2017, 07:49:34 PM »
Remakes, ports, new games, sequels, whatever. As far as I'm concerned I'm loving the Japanese game scene these days. I'm even excited to see what the Switch brings us. PS4, PC, and hopefully the switch have been such a boom for Japanese games.

Yes, I agree. Financially it has been a boon.  As a guy who works in software dev in Japan, and occasionally games, I am excited to see money returning to the industry here. However, I would also like to work on games that don't have a code base in the PS1 era. 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18309 on: September 20, 2017, 09:57:06 PM »

New old school style 2D beat em up that just came out on Steam!  $20. 
ど助平

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #18310 on: September 20, 2017, 10:54:13 PM »
It's an old hardware production trick. A lot of older drum machines etc would have subdivisions limited to 8th notes so doubling or quadrupling the tempo let you get 16th/32nd notes
Ah, that makes sense. Some of the drum hit still feel off to me though.
Hi

bluemax

« Reply #18311 on: September 21, 2017, 12:53:07 AM »
Why is the new Front Mission game a third person shooter?
NO

Bebpo

« Reply #18312 on: September 21, 2017, 01:25:54 AM »
Why is the new Front Mission game a third person shooter?

Because this was the last one?

Yeah, I don't care about any Front Mission that's not an srpg. Didn't play Evolved, don't care about this new one.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18313 on: September 21, 2017, 02:16:26 AM »

Max Payne is obviously Sam Lake's Dorian Gray.

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Bebpo

« Reply #18315 on: September 21, 2017, 04:05:48 AM »
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/09/19/can-play-yakuzas-kiryu-hokuto-ga-gotoku/

So there's Kiryu DLC for Fist of the North Star.

This game gonna be amazing :o

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18316 on: September 21, 2017, 06:50:52 AM »

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #18317 on: September 21, 2017, 09:53:54 AM »
I had no idea Little King's Story was ported to PC. You guys reckon it's still worth a play in 2017? It's one of those Wii games I always wanted to try, but never did because lol wii.
zzzzz

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #18318 on: September 21, 2017, 12:49:48 PM »

Max Payne is obviously Sam Lake's Dorian Gray.

Lake's obsession with inserting himself in pretty much every Remedy game is teh cringe.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18319 on: September 21, 2017, 06:13:00 PM »
it's not really his obsession though? they did it in the first game because of budgetary reasons (his mom played that old lady bad guy too, forgot her name...everyone in MP1 was Remedy Friends & Family though) and MP1 became such a cultural phenomenon that they just kinda kept doing it for the fans.

Raist

« Reply #18320 on: September 21, 2017, 06:45:34 PM »
Summer Lesson is the scariest VR experience I’ve ever had

When I tried out the upcoming installment of Bandai Namco’s PlayStation VR conversation sim, Summer Lesson, at this year’s Tokyo Game Show, I expected a calm, cutesy palate cleanser. What a fool I was. The experience paired me up with privileged teen Chisato Shinjo, and right from the start I knew Summer Lesson would be a special brand of unpleasant: Chisato sauntered toward me, getting right up in my face. Without a controller in hand or an on-screen virtual avatar to look at — Summer Lesson is played using only head movements, looking at the girls in the eyes — I felt trapped in my own body.

:rofl

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #18321 on: September 21, 2017, 07:03:55 PM »

When I tried out the upcoming installment of Bandai Namco’s PlayStation VR conversation sim, Summer Lesson, at this year’s Tokyo Game Show, I expected a calm, cutesy palate cleanser. What a fool I was. The experience paired me up with privileged teen Chisato Shinjo, and right from the start I knew Summer Lesson would be a special brand of unpleasant: Chisato sauntered toward me, getting right up in my face. Without a controller in hand or an on-screen virtual avatar to look at — Summer Lesson is played using only head movements, looking at the girls in the eyes — I felt trapped in my own body.

I assume that means "rich kid" in this case.

---

Sound stops working • Link

When opening the Audio Mixer, the game's sound stops working entirely.
Reinstall Panzer Dragoon to a different folder[citation needed]

Insert CD
    Run Installer
    Select Uninstall and click OK
    Run Installer
    Install Panzer Dragoon to a different folder.
    Run Game

Never open the Sound Mixer again.

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Panzer_Dragoon#Sound_stops_working

Gotta love a good workaround. :itagaki

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #18322 on: September 21, 2017, 07:55:24 PM »

Being physically and psychologically dominated by a rich ojuosama. :noah
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 08:00:29 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #18323 on: September 22, 2017, 09:52:34 AM »
it's not really his obsession though? they did it in the first game because of budgetary reasons (his mom played that old lady bad guy too, forgot her name...everyone in MP1 was Remedy Friends & Family though) and MP1 became such a cultural phenomenon that they just kinda kept doing it for the fans.

Yeah, that's not the reason.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #18324 on: September 23, 2017, 01:46:56 PM »
Might do a spooky game run for October.

Thinking of playing through the Silent Hill and Resident Evil games for the first time

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18325 on: September 23, 2017, 02:12:03 PM »
you should do that because both of those games are classics
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18326 on: September 23, 2017, 03:36:19 PM »

neat
pcp

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #18327 on: September 24, 2017, 12:04:41 AM »
Holy shit, the Witcher 3 is fuck huge in the prologue area. If it wasn't zoned, I think my mind would collapse from the sheer walking around size of it. :lol

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18328 on: September 24, 2017, 01:40:41 AM »
Holy shit, the Witcher 3 is fuck huge in the prologue area. If it wasn't zoned, I think my mind would collapse from the sheer walking around size of it. :lol

you and roach are gonna know each other well by the end of it

thisismyusername

« Reply #18329 on: September 24, 2017, 07:23:22 AM »
What is with the coins under the item description on Geralt's side for dismantling? Like, this candle apparently is 10 Orens (or whatever the Novigrad coins are), so I go to a seller to sell it as junk: Nope, it's suddenly 2-5 coins?

Do I need to repair them for the full value to be sold, or?

Coax

« Reply #18330 on: September 24, 2017, 07:35:20 AM »
What is with the coins under the item description on Geralt's side for dismantling? Like, this candle apparently is 10 Orens (or whatever the Novigrad coins are), so I go to a seller to sell it as junk: Nope, it's suddenly 2-5 coins?

Do I need to repair them for the full value to be sold, or?

By this point I probably should know the answer to this but all I know is merchants/blacksmiths/etc across the maps trade at different values depending on various factors (affluence of area, etc), and the value listed on your side of the inventory screen is like the 'max' value possible in the game for them but you won't get that from most of them.

Afaik only a single trader buys items for the full price but there's a catch in that he only has a limited funds. IIRC a couple of the traders in the expansions buy close to full value as well but can't confirm off the top of my head.

Over time you come to know which merchants buy at better prices after some traveling, which becomes useful for fast travel when you need some moola or are overburdened.

thisismyusername

« Reply #18331 on: September 24, 2017, 07:42:05 AM »
Alright, so don't worry about the full resell value (like I thought it was), just sell everything or dismantle? Most of the stuff I have right now is common items, but I really wanted to sell these broken swords I got from the battlefield of that one quest for like 19$, but apparently they only get me 2-3$ from the blacksmith and repairing them would probably cost more than the return investment I'd get back. :lol :'(

Coax

« Reply #18332 on: September 24, 2017, 08:08:23 AM »
If you're in White Orchard honeycomb fetches a bit (like 20-50 IIRC?) from the herbalist who you'll encounter. Animals can also be killed for their occasionally dropped coats (the larger the beast the more the coat can be sold for—people used to farm cows and then CDPR patched in a high level cow-guarding monster after you kill a number of them :p). Apart from that looting in general at every opportunity then selling the stuff you don't want/need is the main money maker in the game, just avoid it with guards in view.

Broken weapons and junk are fine to sell. Once you have some equipment diagrams you'll then see which ingredients/materials are necessary to keep for crafting, and it's always cheaper to find or dismantle the materials you need rather than buy them outright from blacksmiths/armorers.

Oh, and another thing is you'll end up finding armor and weapons as you loot fairly early on so it's more economical to equip those (despite some of it not being the most fashionable). Nearly all craftable armor/weapons are obtainable via loot apart from the Witcher gear which generally has the better stats and is craftable after obtaining their diagrams.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 08:20:37 AM by Coax »

thisismyusername

« Reply #18333 on: September 24, 2017, 04:56:25 PM »

:rejoice Soon may be able to kick my PS3 to the curb outside of Fighting Games. :doge

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18334 on: September 24, 2017, 07:55:52 PM »
 If you are interested in game development, or involved in game development, and only plan to read one tweet thread this week, make it this one:
https://twitter.com/charlesrandall/status/911987526541430784

thisismyusername

« Reply #18335 on: September 24, 2017, 09:38:18 PM »
If you're in White Orchard honeycomb fetches a bit (like 20-50 IIRC?) from the herbalist who you'll encounter. Animals can also be killed for their occasionally dropped coats (the larger the beast the more the coat can be sold for—people used to farm cows and then CDPR patched in a high level cow-guarding monster after you kill a number of them :p). Apart from that looting in general at every opportunity then selling the stuff you don't want/need is the main money maker in the game, just avoid it with guards in view.

I found some Beehives near the Nilfgaard camp, but do they respawn? I wouldn't mind farming them a bit for cash. Especially as I have yet to find materials for building Grapeshot. I guess I need to go continue the Yennifer storyline instead of going around doing the question marks (still can't do the Place of Powers because the bears maul my face off on Deathmarch)

Coax

« Reply #18336 on: September 24, 2017, 10:41:52 PM »
I found some Beehives near the Nilfgaard camp, but do they respawn? I wouldn't mind farming them a bit for cash. Especially as I have yet to find materials for building Grapeshot. I guess I need to go continue the Yennifer storyline instead of going around doing the question marks (still can't do the Place of Powers because the bears maul my face off on Deathmarch)

Can't remember if it respawns the honeycomb loot but reading online it seems the hive itself can respawn. Though from a quick search it appears CDPR in their infinite wisdom nerfed the herbalist's buying price from 18 to 7 in one of the patches  ::)

Looking around seems this pig loot farming method is the easiest and works with the latest patch (at 2:55 they travel to Novigrad to sell there but you could just sell in White Orchard for now). Basically you kill the pigs, face away from them, meditate, and they'll respawn. Repeat this until you have plenty of hides/meat and then loot all the corpses to sell. That is, if you don't mind murdering a few piggies.

thisismyusername

« Reply #18337 on: September 25, 2017, 12:57:10 AM »

Can't remember if it respawns the honeycomb loot but reading online it seems the hive itself can respawn. Though from a quick search it appears CDPR in their infinite wisdom nerfed the herbalist's buying price from 18 to 7 in one of the patches  ::)

Looking around seems this pig loot farming method is the easiest and works with the latest patch (at 2:55 they travel to Novigrad to sell there but you could just sell in White Orchard for now). Basically you kill the pigs, face away from them, meditate, and they'll respawn. Repeat this until you have plenty of hides/meat and then loot all the corpses to sell. That is, if you don't mind murdering a few piggies.

Well, I've been making some money selling the herbs and clearing the map out. Thankfully after like 10 hours, I'm level 2(!), so I think I'm set to finish the main story with 700-800ish crowns now.

The guide for Death March as a build I'm using recommends the DLC starter sword, but I dunno if I want to build those just yet as I'm doing fine cheesing with signs and rolling around Dark Souls-style.

Also this is hilarious to me: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-15-witcher-3-hearts-of-stone-adds-taxman-to-sting-money-exploiters

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #18338 on: September 25, 2017, 11:26:24 AM »
Danganronpa V3, Blue Reflection, and Senran Kagura ~I'm Gonna Squirt~ Pantsu Pantsu Beach Adventure Edition are all coming out these week. How can I hold all this weeb? :uguu
©@©™

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #18339 on: September 25, 2017, 03:22:06 PM »
Blue Reflection is gimped though.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #18340 on: September 25, 2017, 03:47:57 PM »
DRV3 arrived a whole day early

Too bad it's gonna be a victim of backlog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #18341 on: September 25, 2017, 03:49:08 PM »
Blue Reflection is gimped though.

I'm getting the PS4 version.
©@©™

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18342 on: September 25, 2017, 04:18:50 PM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 04:02:59 PM by toku »

thisismyusername

« Reply #18344 on: September 26, 2017, 09:08:12 PM »
Deathmarch is SLOOOOOOOOOW. I'm ready to buff Igni already. :doge

Cheesing high level monsters doesn't give that much of an EXP boost. :stahp

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #18345 on: September 26, 2017, 10:14:42 PM »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-26-ruiner-review
http://www.pcgamer.com/ruiner-review/

not really feeling this tbh. has a great look but the gameplay feels sloppy and imprecise. shame :\
nat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18346 on: September 26, 2017, 11:00:36 PM »

Raist

« Reply #18347 on: September 27, 2017, 09:01:59 AM »
That framerate :kobeyuck

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #18348 on: September 27, 2017, 09:31:38 AM »
lol, it's not coming out until next year. of course it's un-optimized.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18349 on: September 28, 2017, 11:13:09 AM »
ign's showing off new footage of red dead redemption 2 right now. dont think the trailers uploaded yet. looks hot.

sounds like it stars Dutch?
pcp

Raist

« Reply #18350 on: September 28, 2017, 11:26:37 AM »
Yeah it is.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #18351 on: September 28, 2017, 07:16:26 PM »
Grabbed Heat Signature on a whim and this shit is a blast. FTL X Hotline Miami X Superhot

Shuri

« Reply #18352 on: September 28, 2017, 09:46:45 PM »
Got my copy of Gundam Versus.

The game makes me feel old and completely powerless. I have no idea whats going on, its just shit flashing, japanese voice actors yelling and grunting, and non stop zooms.

I have instant regrets.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18353 on: September 28, 2017, 10:52:33 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #18354 on: September 29, 2017, 02:21:39 AM »
Got my copy of Gundam Versus.

The game makes me feel old and completely powerless. I have no idea whats going on, its just shit flashing, japanese voice actors yelling and grunting, and non stop zooms.

I have instant regrets.

Never played a Gundam Versus game before?

The main thing is to watch your boost meter. While moving you dodge most shit outside things like when someone sets a laser or bomb in a specific place and you run into it. But the same goes for your enemies, so you want to try to hit them when they stop between boosts. Versus adds a new mechanic that is a life saver, which is being able to ground land cancel instantly out of almost anything. It's even mapped to the right stick just by press down I think. This is good because you can mix up your dashes and attacks and land when your enemies aren't expecting it and replenish your boost meter and get back to moving. Like if you're dashing right, someone might expect your dash to last a certain length/time and then prepare to attack you right when you land, but if you cut it short midway land and then start up again you might dodge whatever they are planning and instead find an opening to counter attack.

There's also the whole melee game but boy do I suck at that. The only melee I'm good at is some units have a dash (sometimes curved like Barbatos) that doesn't use boost, so you can boost + boost dash move to get double the distance which can throw people off. Like if they run from you and dash back, with your double dash you'll catch them in the back with a melee combo. And the curved dash guys are nice because if someone is going to shoot you in the face you can curve dash around it and melee them from the side. But normal melee outside tricks like that I always get destroyed.

fwiw I'm fucking terrible at the game. If I play against a player that is legit good I'll go the whole match not being able to land a goddamn attack and just get totally owned and it'll be frustrating. But then about 50%+ of the time my opponent will be someone at my level or even worse and it's a fun challenge and I can get a lot of kills in. So keep playing, learn some basics and hope you get paired against beginners!

FYI an all around good entry level mech is Freedom Gundam. Has really good tracking shots and sorta ok melee, good speed, damage and decent HP. I think Barbatos is a good entry melee imo because the curved dash thing is boss. I actually found myself doing the best for melee units with the purple enemy guy from Iron Blood Orphans because he's got a few really useful moves like dashing back dropping mines which people chasing you run into and get stunned so you can melee combo them & he's got a charge attack that doesn't consume boost and covers distance while shooting. I did pretty decent with him around launch.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #18355 on: September 29, 2017, 05:10:01 PM »
Fuck Forza 7  :maf

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18356 on: September 30, 2017, 12:00:32 AM »
Gundam Versus is so much fun.

thisismyusername

« Reply #18357 on: September 30, 2017, 08:02:42 AM »
Nearly 48 hours in on the Witcher 3 and I'm still in Valen and like level 8. :lol :lol :lol :doge

I probably should start doing the side-quests, but I'm trying to fill out all these question marks and some of them are like level 15 bandits and it's so very demanding fighting them when they're above your level range on Death March difficulty.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #18358 on: September 30, 2017, 01:22:20 PM »
I use Gamerankings
©@©™

Shuri

« Reply #18359 on: September 30, 2017, 02:20:12 PM »
I picked up a Sega master system last week with a bunch of games, and I'm enjoying the shit out of Cyborg Hunter. You gotta keep in mind this game was made in 1988, but it's pretty interesting.

You are a cyborg... hunter.. hunting other cyborgs. You have 4 cyborg per Area to kill, and in each Area, you find various weapons and upgrades. You have a radar that beeps whenever you get closer to another cyborg. It feels like an hybrid between Metroid, Megaman and Elevator action.

A fun $5 surprise for me.