Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3055536 times)

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #18120 on: August 21, 2017, 06:26:09 AM »

Maybe now the game won't be a piece of shit. :doge

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Will buy for the 4K graphfix.
[close]

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18121 on: August 21, 2017, 07:56:43 AM »
Report back on that tv.

OK, sure.  Initial impressions on the TCL P605:

-PS4 games that run at resolutions higher than 1080P look amazing.  Wow, pretty huge difference in picture quality coming from a 1920x1080 monitor.  Very sharp and colorful.

-I can't tell what the big deal about HDR is.  I tried Uncharted 4 (although it was the multiplayer mode- didn't realize that the single player is 4K with more enhancements and multi stays at 1080P, albeit with HDR) and Horizon.  The latter looked uglier to me and ran like ass.  I guess that's the difference between the nice smooth 1080P PS4 Pro performance mode and the resolution-favoring mode, heh.  I need to mess with the settings more and try UC4 single player (or just wait for Chloe Raider tomorrow).

-The TV has pretty low input lag.  I didn't notice anything when I tried Street Fighter V on PS4 and Sonic Mania and ULTRA SF2 ran great on Switch.  Nice and responsive!

-Haven't tried my PC on it yet.  Need to get a longer HDMI cable to hook it up, plus I'd be running it through an HDMI switch box and I don't know if that model supports resolutions higher than 1080P, so I'll probably need to buy a new one.  But no big deal to unplug the switch box, since just the PS3 is on it and I'm not playing anything on there and the moment.

-Need to try the PS3 as well, speaking of which.  Would like to see how the TV handles 720P games.  1080P looks great so no complaints there.

-The Roku TV interface is very easy to use and pretty fast.  We have a Samsung Smart TV in the bedroom and it has noticeable load times and even some lag when loading and using streaming apps, plus an awkward interface.  This is much, much better, to the point that I wish I had picked up a TCL Roku TV instead of that Samsung a few months back.  Oh well.

-The remote is very simple and only has a few buttons, but works great with the various settings menus.  You configure picture settings for each input and these settings are saved individually to their own profile.  Very nice for consoles.

-The speakers are adequate at best, which is not a surprise.   Got a soundbar for it and it works great.  This TV has both optical out and digital out.

-This TV is really too big for my little gaming room, but it's the only model TCL is producing.  There was going to be a 50" version, but this was scrapped alongside a 60" version.  I'd want a 40"-43" model though.  If something similar comes along, I might pick that up and put this one in the living room to replace our aging Panasonic TV from 2010.

-Picked this up from Best Buy for $599, which is about $50 cheaper than Amazon.  Apparently the Amazon version has a better remote though.  There's also a "fancier" 'C' version of this TV that was $700 on Amazon.  Didn't bother since the P version is supposed to have more picture settings available, but went to Costco yesterday and they had the C model for $599...d'oh!  I probably would have went for that had I known.
ど助平

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18122 on: August 21, 2017, 11:28:11 AM »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18123 on: August 21, 2017, 12:02:51 PM »
Report back on that tv.

-PS4 games that run at resolutions higher than 1080P look amazing.  Wow, pretty huge difference in picture quality coming from a 1920x1080 monitor.  Very sharp and colorful.

-I can't tell what the big deal about HDR is.  I tried Uncharted 4 (although it was the multiplayer mode- didn't realize that the single player is 4K with more enhancements and multi stays at 1080P, albeit with HDR) and Horizon.  The latter looked uglier to me and ran like ass.  I guess that's the difference between the nice smooth 1080P PS4 Pro performance mode and the resolution-favoring mode, heh.  I need to mess with the settings more and try UC4 single player (or just wait for Chloe Raider tomorrow).

-The TV has pretty low input lag.  I didn't notice anything when I tried Street Fighter V on PS4 and Sonic Mania and ULTRA SF2 ran great on Switch.  Nice and responsive!

-Haven't tried my PC on it yet.  Need to get a longer HDMI cable to hook it up, plus I'd be running it through an HDMI switch box and I don't know if that model supports resolutions higher than 1080P, so I'll probably need to buy a new one.  But no big deal to unplug the switch box, since just the PS3 is on it and I'm not playing anything on there and the moment.

-Need to try the PS3 as well, speaking of which.  Would like to see how the TV handles 720P games.  1080P looks great so no complaints there.

-The Roku TV interface is very easy to use and pretty fast.  We have a Samsung Smart TV in the bedroom and it has noticeable load times and even some lag when loading and using streaming apps, plus an awkward interface.  This is much, much better, to the point that I wish I had picked up a TCL Roku TV instead of that Samsung a few months back.  Oh well.

-The remote is very simple and only has a few buttons, but works great with the various settings menus.  You configure picture settings for each input and these settings are saved individually to their own profile.  Very nice for consoles.

-The speakers are adequate at best, which is not a surprise.   Got a soundbar for it and it works great.  This TV has both optical out and digital out.

-This TV is really too big for my little gaming room, but it's the only model TCL is producing.  There was going to be a 50" version, but this was scrapped alongside a 60" version.  I'd want a 40"-43" model though.  If something similar comes along, I might pick that up and put this one in the living room to replace our aging Panasonic TV from 2010.

-Picked this up from Best Buy for $599, which is about $50 cheaper than Amazon.  Apparently the Amazon version has a better remote though.  There's also a "fancier" 'C' version of this TV that was $700 on Amazon.  Didn't bother since the P version is supposed to have more picture settings available, but went to Costco yesterday and they had the C model for $599...d'oh!  I probably would have went for that had I known.
Great. I passed on this tv, instead going with a Vizo M series tv because I had a previous years' model and really liked it. Though I wonder had it been a better idea to go with the TCL tv. Still, I'm looking at it as a tv to put in the "guest" room that I'm putting together for my nieces. Though honestly they will just be playing Minecraft on it.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18124 on: August 21, 2017, 01:21:24 PM »

Maybe now the game won't be a piece of shit. :doge

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Will buy for the 4K graphfix.
[close]

Nice. I'd been waiting for all the DLC and updates to come out before replaying it, but I'll just grab the Steam version instead.
dog

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #18125 on: August 21, 2017, 03:20:35 PM »
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-21-microsofts-final-sales-pitch-for-xbox-one-x-falls-flat

As the allocated 90 minutes clocked up and we all began to think about the few short hours left until we drag ourselves up for the Monday commute, it was hard to make head or tail of what Microsoft's Gamescom show had set out to achieve. In an hour and a half of reheated E3 trailers and recaps, there was perhaps one announcement of a genuine exclusive for Xbox: a vertical console stand for the day one edition of the Xbox One X, as unpackaged by Major Nelson in an abandoned office on the other side of the world.

Welp

FStop7

« Reply #18126 on: August 21, 2017, 06:49:09 PM »
If you have an interest in PUBG you need to watch Shroud when he's streaming on Twitch.  He is a walking highlight reel.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18127 on: August 21, 2017, 08:03:34 PM »
Report back on that tv.

Great. I passed on this tv, instead going with a Vizo M series tv because I had a previous years' model and really liked it. Though I wonder had it been a better idea to go with the TCL tv. Still, I'm looking at it as a tv to put in the "guest" room that I'm putting together for my nieces. Though honestly they will just be playing Minecraft on it.

I'd just get the cheaper TCL S series then.  Half the price for 55".
ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #18128 on: August 22, 2017, 08:13:41 AM »

Aw yeah, back to the past. Sci-fi Anno was :yuck

archie4208

« Reply #18129 on: August 22, 2017, 12:31:52 PM »

Can I go ahead and make a 2018 GOTY thread?  :lawd

Raist

« Reply #18130 on: August 22, 2017, 02:40:43 PM »

Aw yeah, back to the past. Sci-fi Anno was :yuck

2070 was fine.
2205 was hot garbage though. Completely different game.

Shuri

« Reply #18131 on: August 22, 2017, 09:23:52 PM »
Decided to get a new PC.  I made my own desktop PC almost six years ago and it worked out great but a lot has changed since then so I decided to get a gaming laptop instead:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233204

I contemplated joining the Republic of Gamers but too many comments about the laptop running too hot deterred me.  Hopefully this laptop doesn't suck.

I'm not a big gamer much any more but I hope to use for a lot of other things too that I can carry around for a few years.
The problem with gaming laptop is how much heat they generate. Mine, after a while, was generating soo much heat that the keyboard itself would become warm.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18132 on: August 22, 2017, 09:55:22 PM »
get one of those cooling trays and you'll be fine
pcp

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #18133 on: August 22, 2017, 10:57:36 PM »
Or one that's easy to maintain.

Raist

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18135 on: August 23, 2017, 03:24:45 PM »
:bow Cloud :bow2
©@©™

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #18136 on: August 23, 2017, 03:29:39 PM »
My guess: for streaming pre-rendered cutscenes.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18137 on: August 23, 2017, 03:30:17 PM »
how about instead microsoft throws it weight around a little and get north american isps to stop being fucking stupid and overcharging for bullshit speeds WITH caps

Raist

« Reply #18138 on: August 23, 2017, 03:32:29 PM »
My guess: for streaming pre-rendered cutscenes.

As Ybarra explains things, it picks and choses what's stored on you HDD and keeps the rest elsewhere. The technology effectively says, "'Hey, here’s the bits you need for this section’ and keep the rest on the Cloud."

Sounds great for folks with data caps, and HDD life :lol

how about instead microsoft throws it weight around a little and get north american isps to stop being fucking stupid and overcharging for bullshit speeds WITH caps

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18139 on: August 23, 2017, 09:24:45 PM »
Yeah these data caps man.

I got a new computer recently and well of course I wanted to download PC games to play on it and well with something like Gears 4 being 100 GIGs yeah it kind of puts limits on what you can do.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18140 on: August 24, 2017, 12:51:17 AM »
i posted before bout it but my ISP "gave me new control" and "for your convenience" added a 1TB datacap with $50 for each GB over after never having a data cap in probably three years back when they had a 500GB one

it's also on all their tiers now, only the very highest, which i can't get at my house anyway, gets a... 10TB datacap

i only have really gotten close when my HD died before i had a dedicated steam/origin drive and had to reinstall most all my games...actually literally did 1023/1024 somehow without ever checking

which actually is the ideal amount to do right before it flips over to the new 30 day period, should really check like a week out from now on and binge download garbage over however many days to get within 50GB, i saw a torrent that has every Batman comic ever published up to 2017, i obviously need that despite having probably read over half of it already, i should go to staples and get one of those 100 DVD packs for $20 and fill them full of batman comics since i won't have the HD space for it and i'd be crazy to just delete them and download them again

Raist

« Reply #18141 on: August 24, 2017, 03:26:26 AM »
It baffles me that data caps are still a thing in the US. Hasn't been the case in europe for fucking ever.

benjipwns

« Reply #18142 on: August 24, 2017, 03:39:01 AM »
They were going away because ISPs were killing off lower tiers of speeds for maintenance reasons so there was a gap between most users and the 1%, then streaming (and video in general) went mainstream almost overnight. Some (maybe most) weren't counting data streamed through the ISP's service or partners but I noticed a story not too long ago about Comcast I think changing that for customers who were under it to half counting or something as start of a move away. (ala text messages costing a third of a minute or whatever with that kind of cell phone service) Because people were dropping the TV service and they want you on both plus home phone. They really love the home phone part of those packages.

benjipwns

« Reply #18143 on: August 24, 2017, 03:45:44 AM »
I've heard from other people that they've increasingly stopped even caring about the fake little dance where you're like "guess i'll have to cancel" and they go "okay, here's the deal for another six months" now they're often like "yeah, good luck with that."

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18144 on: August 24, 2017, 05:39:18 AM »
I've heard from other people that they've increasingly stopped even caring about the fake little dance where you're like "guess i'll have to cancel" and they go "okay, here's the deal for another six months" now they're often like "yeah, good luck with that."

American cable monopoly is one of the biggest mysteries to me. I have no idea how you guys tolerate it.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #18145 on: August 24, 2017, 10:52:13 AM »
Anyway this tickled me recently.

Followed up by their comments.

Blast from the Past: Remember when DOAXBV had all the girls in the series in it and didn't have a loli character in the series? :doge

Raist

« Reply #18146 on: August 25, 2017, 03:04:21 AM »
Holy shit.

Fifstar

« Reply #18147 on: August 25, 2017, 04:19:45 AM »
Eh, looks kinda shit.
Gulp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18148 on: August 25, 2017, 07:07:40 AM »
OH MY GOD YESSSS

YESSSSSSSSSASS

FUCK I CAN NOT WAIT HOLY FUCKING SHIT
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18149 on: August 25, 2017, 07:12:53 AM »
Vita means life
fat

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #18150 on: August 25, 2017, 10:21:43 AM »
Holy shit.

Where's the Switch version?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18151 on: August 25, 2017, 11:12:18 AM »
slime turn your location on
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18152 on: August 25, 2017, 01:47:40 PM »
?? You trying to suck his dick?
fat

archie4208

« Reply #18153 on: August 26, 2017, 07:35:09 AM »

Fist of the North Star game by the Yakuza devs.  :omg :omg :omg

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18154 on: August 26, 2017, 08:33:17 AM »
oh

FUCK
pcp

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18155 on: August 26, 2017, 11:08:10 AM »
watch it never get released here

:crybaby

Raist

« Reply #18156 on: August 26, 2017, 04:45:25 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #18157 on: August 26, 2017, 07:32:56 PM »
remember that one time they gave away Beyond Good and Evil in packs of cheese :doge

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18158 on: August 26, 2017, 07:33:48 PM »
?? I dont see whats weird about that promotion. No different than eating delicious Taco Bell (tm) to win Sony PlayStation 4 (tm)
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18159 on: August 26, 2017, 08:00:20 PM »
in ffxiv right now you can buy a honey bun irl and it comes with a code that gives your character 99 exp boosting honey buns to snack on too bc video games are for cool dudes
pcp

Raist

« Reply #18160 on: August 26, 2017, 09:41:40 PM »
?? I dont see whats weird about that promotion. No different than eating delicious Taco Bell (tm) to win Sony PlayStation 4 (tm)

Dunno, getting ingame stuff from a restaurant is kinda weird to me :yeshrug

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18161 on: August 26, 2017, 10:10:19 PM »

The weird part is that they didn't do a promotion with Taco Bell. I mean, if it's not Taco Bell or Doritos or Mountain Dew, why are you wasting your time?
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #18162 on: August 26, 2017, 10:17:33 PM »

The weird part is that they didn't do a promotion with Taco Bell. I mean, if it's not Taco Bell or Doritos or Mountain Dew, why are you wasting your time?
already taken, Sony defeated: https://www.tacobell.com/xbox

POWERFUL FLAVOR MEETS POWERFUL GAMING

benjipwns

« Reply #18163 on: August 26, 2017, 10:18:19 PM »

:rejoice

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18164 on: August 26, 2017, 10:40:29 PM »

Dunno, getting ingame stuff from a restaurant is kinda weird to me :yeshrug

Totinos isnt a Restaurant, they do pizza rolls and frozen pizzas etc... again, this is nothing new... ? ? ? ?
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18165 on: August 26, 2017, 10:56:19 PM »

It reminds me of when I saw X-Men Apoclypse doing its marketing with White Castle.

I thought "wow no one relevant wants to market with this shit"

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18166 on: August 27, 2017, 02:05:43 PM »
The artwork for him looks good, but the 3D model looks all weird and unattractive.  Odd choice for a main character...but maybr he's supposed to look like shit initially and cleans up or something.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18167 on: August 27, 2017, 02:08:14 PM »
Recently I went onto Amazon and traded a shitload of Nintendo stuff in to get a new TV.  Still had all that stuff ready to ship.  Today I decided to just get rid of all my U.S. 3DS stuff and keep all my Wii U stuff except for Splatoon and MK8 (don't need them with the Switch).  Just felt right for some reason.  The Wii U stuff I was going to trade was only worth about $250 anyway.  Might as well just keep it for that price.  I got about $500 for the 3DS stuff in comparison.
ど助平

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #18168 on: August 27, 2017, 02:39:06 PM »
Despite the Wii U being a bomb I could see software prices for used games shooting up.  Better to hold onto those physical copies for a few more years and sell it at a profit.
🍆🍆

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18169 on: August 27, 2017, 02:42:31 PM »
Despite the Wii U being a bomb I could see software prices for used games shooting up.  Better to hold onto those physical copies for a few more years and sell it at a profit.

That's pretty much my thinking on it, yeah.  Now I wonder if I can get my DLC back with my Nintendo ID entered or if I have to call up Nintendo...
ど助平

Raist

« Reply #18170 on: August 27, 2017, 04:19:02 PM »

New Yakuza lead to replace Kiryu after Y6. His name is Kazuga Ichiban.

I'm pretty unsure about this. Kiryu's story is over(and was supposed to be over a couple of times before 6 anyway) but this new guy doesn't really look cool to me, not in design or what I see of his character in that short video.

Should have been Akiyama.

Wait, the random thug, is that Nagoshi? :lol

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18171 on: August 27, 2017, 05:47:01 PM »
I don't think the new character looks cool, but I do like that he looks like a drastically diffrent and unqique protag.

archie4208

« Reply #18172 on: August 28, 2017, 12:20:11 PM »
This week is packed for new games.  I'm getting Yakuza Kiwami, Mario XCOM and Everybody's Golf.  I'd get the XCOM 2 expansion too, but I will barely have time to play those other games and that will probably be the first title I've listed that gets a price drop.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #18173 on: August 28, 2017, 07:42:40 PM »

Fist of the North Star game by the Yakuza devs.  :omg :omg :omg

Where's the Switch version?

???

Raist

« Reply #18174 on: August 28, 2017, 08:33:28 PM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18175 on: August 28, 2017, 10:54:50 PM »

was gonna grab this but remembered im broke atm lol

beta was fun though, difficult game with a bit of a curve to it

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #18176 on: August 28, 2017, 11:14:22 PM »
This guy's video reviews are pretty good. That is all.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18177 on: August 29, 2017, 10:25:24 AM »
xcom 2 xpansion is 70 gigs...idk if i can do this anymore

Raist

« Reply #18178 on: August 29, 2017, 09:16:57 PM »
What the actual fuck :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18179 on: August 30, 2017, 06:22:39 AM »
What the actual fuck :lol

Well, it certainly gives you a sense of the lack of gameplay…!