Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3055545 times)

Bebpo

Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #17940 on: July 14, 2017, 10:36:14 PM »
Nom

FStop7

« Reply #17941 on: July 15, 2017, 03:42:19 PM »
Sizzling hot take: Symphony of the Night is the greatest video game of all time.

Also, the Castlevania animated series is awesome.  The fight scenes are so good.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #17942 on: July 15, 2017, 05:03:38 PM »
o shit squeenix just showed off a toy story world for kingdom hearts 3 and announced a 2018 release date
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #17943 on: July 15, 2017, 05:31:18 PM »
i seen it on twitch dunno how to link sorry. there was a long clip of footage from the toy story world, and they said there'd be an all-new trailer at whatever japanese gaming show is coming up soon
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #17944 on: July 15, 2017, 05:32:04 PM »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #17945 on: July 15, 2017, 05:46:53 PM »
you that looks fucking dope
püp

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #17946 on: July 15, 2017, 06:05:52 PM »
Something something toy story graphics something.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #17947 on: July 15, 2017, 06:54:45 PM »
Something something toy story graphics something.

The future is now
pcp

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #17948 on: July 16, 2017, 12:02:53 PM »
I played the first fifteen minutes of RE6 cuz I got it in that bundle and holy shit does this thing suck. Is the whole game this awful?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #17949 on: July 16, 2017, 12:06:05 PM »
Depends who's story you are playing. Leon's is probably the best one.
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #17950 on: July 16, 2017, 12:37:04 PM »
the whole game is still pretty boring. finds someone to coop with or play mercenaries instead.
pcp

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #17951 on: July 16, 2017, 03:25:26 PM »
How the hell did Suikoden 2 get released in the states with music straight up missing in some parts of the game?

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #17952 on: July 16, 2017, 03:27:48 PM »
It was the 90's. :trumps
©@©™

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #17953 on: July 16, 2017, 03:30:57 PM »
yeah good translations didn't become standard til like the early or mid 2000s
pcp

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #17954 on: July 16, 2017, 03:33:37 PM »
Good grief  :snoop

FatalT

« Reply #17955 on: July 16, 2017, 10:02:17 PM »
I played the first fifteen minutes of RE6 cuz I got it in that bundle and holy shit does this thing suck. Is the whole game this awful?

I'd say if you were playing it on PS4 I'd be more than happy to go through it in co-op with you because I thoroughly enjoyed it. Try to play it as "not a Resident Evil" game and use more melee attacks. It's definitely way more of an action game than any of the others.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17956 on: July 17, 2017, 12:22:07 PM »
Depends who's story you are playing. Leon's is probably the best one.

Yeah, IMO it's Leon/Helena and Ada who have the best campaigns.  Chris/Pierce is all right at best and then Jake/Sherry is garbage.  The game would have been much better if they didn't try to cram so much in.
ど助平

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #17957 on: July 17, 2017, 12:26:39 PM »
but to be fair even the best campaign is still mostly boring. wayyyyy to much filler in that game
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #17958 on: July 17, 2017, 05:57:02 PM »
There are a couple people here that really like it and recommend it because the combat. I picked it up on a steam sale at some point but still haven't tried it myself.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #17959 on: July 17, 2017, 06:02:46 PM »
i still play mercenaries all the time. the combat is fun, although it took me some getting used to. the game doesn't rely on stunning enemies like other re games and expects you to dodge instead. there's also a fuckload of undocumented moves to figure out. once you get going it's wild and a lot of fun. unfortunately the campaign is really long (who the hell makes and 80 hour action game? has anything ever come close??) and the lack of save points plus the lack of really great scenarios frequently made it a slog for me. story sucked too, but hey this is re so that's expected. however it needs to be said the graphics are insane. capcom doesn't get nearly enough credit for what they pulled off with re5 and 6 visually.
pcp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17960 on: July 18, 2017, 02:03:52 PM »
80 hours?  What are you talking about?  It's nowhere near that long.  ???

It's weird, because RE6 lets you do more, but I prefer the combat in RE4 and RE5 over RE6. 
ど助平

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #17961 on: July 18, 2017, 02:55:19 PM »
irc each campaign had 20 levels, and each level would take me around an hour to 90 minutes. with four campaigns, that's 80 hours.
pcp

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #17962 on: July 18, 2017, 04:45:16 PM »
Are you sure about that number? HLTB suggests you're a crazy outlier, if so.

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=7725

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #17963 on: July 18, 2017, 05:57:56 PM »
went and checked my playtime and it's only 35 hours on 360 lol. i swear the levels were really long and the infrequent save points was what kept me from playing the game thru for a long time, but maybe it was just the early stages that took so long. still should tell you how much of a slog single player is that it felt that long to me.
pcp

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #17964 on: July 18, 2017, 06:46:52 PM »
The heavy asset re-use might have further warped your perception.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #17965 on: July 18, 2017, 07:56:45 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17966 on: July 18, 2017, 08:43:27 PM »
It's a real shame that Monolith hasn't done an FPS in 8 years.
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #17967 on: July 18, 2017, 10:00:24 PM »
Remember Gotham City Imposters? (No one remembers Gotham City Imposters)
©@©™

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #17968 on: July 18, 2017, 10:52:39 PM »
monolith made that shit? ouch
pcp

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #17969 on: July 19, 2017, 09:32:27 AM »
here is a series of tweets in a storify about how non-developers talk about game engines that I thought was good https://storify.com/AdrianForest/how-not-to-talk-about-game-engines

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #17970 on: July 19, 2017, 10:12:32 AM »
here is a series of tweets in a storify about how non-developers talk about game engines that I thought was good https://storify.com/AdrianForest/how-not-to-talk-about-game-engines

He's absolutely right but I wish the request came from someone with a bit more caché instead of someone who's never made a game yet feels he's qualified to teach about it in a part of the world known for having a dead game industry.

He will be immediately ignored.

Coax

« Reply #17971 on: July 19, 2017, 10:45:50 AM »

Well, specifically Unity, though choosing the Steam forums as a bad example is too easy :doge Brings to mind a topic Durante made about the engine. The short of it was due to the lower skill barrier to using Unity it has been adopted by a large number of less experienced users and in turn they post advice to others, which from answers he saw could be terrible yet might be the highest upvoted and ranked in search queries. Essentially the lower barrier to entry comes with its own problems, though in the right hands it can be fine.

That said the topic also contained examples of even competent devs experiencing performance issues and technical hurdles with the engine. Judge it by the end product I suppose. To me such reactions are inevitable for such a gaming audience. Hyperbole—both negative and positive—about performance, graphics, and gameplay is in gaming's DNA.

Zophar

« Reply #17972 on: July 19, 2017, 03:35:10 PM »

Such a good game. I should replay it soon. It's been about 5 years since I last beat it.

Shuri

« Reply #17973 on: July 19, 2017, 07:08:17 PM »
i'm downloading DOOM on steam right now and  :doge da fuck at 58gb size.. I wish there was a separate download for the mp stuff

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #17974 on: July 19, 2017, 07:16:35 PM »
thats now, so for blops 3 decided to give away all their dlc free for a month that you couldn't opt out of until it started. Game is 91 gigs now lol.  Up from the non dlc 65 gigs.

Titanfall is around 60 gigs now too. Be a safe call next weeks frontier defense update gonna be another 5-10 ontop of that.

:-\

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot

archie4208

« Reply #17977 on: July 20, 2017, 06:31:50 PM »

At least that new 2D Sonic game will be good, right? 

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #17979 on: July 21, 2017, 02:36:08 AM »
Remember Gotham City Imposters? (No one remembers Gotham City Imposters)
monolith made that shit? ouch
i thought this was actually stupidly amusing when it worked, it has thematic similarities to NOLF's multiplayer, TDM is kinda dumb though

i also read that monolith was more or less pulled in to fix what somebody else had failed to produce, it was patched together and then shoved out the door without a real plan other than hitting some Batman target date...it actually got better when it was made F2P and unchained from the consoles and it went more in the like I said NOLF direction with gadgets and crap

it's more or less dead now with like 200 person player counts, though apparently i own 80% of the DLC, thanks humble bundle

it also has over 400 achievements which has to be up there in terms of steam achievements

thats now, so for blops 3 decided to give away all their dlc free for a month that you couldn't opt out of until it started. Game is 91 gigs now lol.  Up from the non dlc 65 gigs.
hey, at least you can uncheck the campaign/zombies/etc. and it actually makes a dent in that download size for BOIII and IW

some of the earlier CoD's even though they're separate MP and SP downloads, they download everything and all the other does is grab the exe and like five other files for like 8MB or something since everything shares assets...Advanced Warfare is like 45GB base assets and then grabs another 15GB of what I assume are the Kevin Spacey assets for the singleplayer

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #17980 on: July 21, 2017, 01:45:34 PM »
idk if it's still the case but i remember with blops 3 if you didn't dl campaign/zombies it created some weirdness with how lobbies worked so you couldn't party up for mp. Something like that. Yeah it sucks.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #17981 on: July 23, 2017, 06:43:35 PM »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #17982 on: July 24, 2017, 12:59:03 AM »
yeah, that and xenia (360) and cemu (WiiU) have all been making some pretty big leaps lately but it's all really wonky and hit or miss so they've just been doing the quiet pushing out of builds (to be fair, both Dolphin and PSCX2 have fallen back on this model too) but the main thing is I guess the documentation has gotten out there to a greater extent, like nobody gives a shit about protecting the PS3 Cell setup anymore, etc. (I find it hard to imagine the RSX being the choke point for the emu developers.) Plus we've leaped the tech in those machines by so many generations on PC a lot of stuff the developers were holding back on due to being slow or whatever they just leave in because the i7's especially just gobble it up automatically.

Vita is apparently "on the verge" of getting stuff regularly playable too...and I can't imagine Switch will be very complicated being a Shield and all. 3DS was at an interesting point last I checked where they were finding the games weren't running stuff as complicated as they originally thought. I think the guys working on Vita emulation were hitting something similar. (Plus like...the number of games and all.)

kinda crazy that the Microsoft is actually going to be the one to do Xbox emulation before any third parties cracked that enough to get shit running :lol

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17983 on: July 24, 2017, 06:56:55 PM »
During a recent For Honor livestream, Ubisoft Community Developer Eric Pope announced the schedule for the game’s latest patch, and included a reference to the reportedly low player counts:

“We have a lot of players in For Honor … Believe it or not, fake news people, we have a lot of players in For Honor – to roll it out to.”

:heh
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17984 on: July 25, 2017, 02:19:44 PM »
Trailer for the new game from the devs of I am Setsuna:

dog

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #17985 on: July 25, 2017, 06:20:13 PM »
Mighty No 9 is in the new Humble Bundle, in the BTA tier no less :lol

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #17986 on: July 25, 2017, 06:49:31 PM »
is killer is dead a shit game, or just an underwhelming game as a successor to killer7?
pcp

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #17987 on: July 25, 2017, 08:37:03 PM »
I got it on during last years summer sale and still haven't gotten to it (:O) so if you want the extra key pm me

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #17988 on: July 25, 2017, 08:49:11 PM »

For being a low-budget game from an unproven team, I really liked Setsuna. But I was kinda hoping this would have been a bigger step up in terms of production values and would have more of a distinct identity (Setsuna being set entirely in snow was certainly unique, even if the environments got old quickly).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 09:06:05 PM by tiesto »
^_^

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #17989 on: July 25, 2017, 09:40:41 PM »
is killer is dead a shit game, or just an underwhelming game as a successor to killer7?
Stylish, absurd (but no more than say, DMC), and incoherent as usual, but boring. Not memorable in any way. Struggling to think of any stand-out moments.

Bebpo

« Reply #17990 on: July 25, 2017, 09:54:22 PM »

For being a low-budget game from an unproven team, I really liked Setsuna. But I was kinda hoping this would have been a bigger step up in terms of production values and would have more of a distinct identity (Setsuna being set entirely in snow was certainly unique, even if the environments got old quickly).

To me this one looks a little more interesting at least from a visual design. Still plan to play I Am Setsuna someday.

Played a little but wasn't feeling it. I would've written Suda51 off at this point, but his rogue game this year was a pretty good comeback.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #17991 on: July 26, 2017, 01:27:28 AM »
...so I have to run away from 50 random battles to recruit Stallion in Suikoden 2?

Good fucking night.  :trash

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #17992 on: July 26, 2017, 02:59:00 AM »
Fuck. Another reason I wish I had a PS4.

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/889969638683144192

Bulleta©™®

• is probably playing some game
« Reply #17993 on: July 26, 2017, 03:02:21 AM »
...so I have to run away from 50 random battles to recruit Stallion in Suikoden 2?

Good fucking night.  :trash

Just go to a crappy enemy area, it should take like 10 mins or less probably.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #17994 on: July 26, 2017, 10:21:30 PM »
http://www.finalfantasyxv.com/comrades

So, uh... this is a thing.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #17995 on: July 26, 2017, 10:24:05 PM »
Looks cool. XV gets even better
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17996 on: July 26, 2017, 10:25:42 PM »
Ordered an Arduboy Tetris handheld recently.  This thing is TINY.  It really can fit into a wallet!

ど助平

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #17997 on: July 26, 2017, 10:33:19 PM »
Looks cool. XV gets even better

yeah I was worried they'd do some pvp bullshit that'd be doa. instead we're getting a pve campaign with story to boot. hopefully they plan on supporting it for awhile after release.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #17998 on: July 26, 2017, 11:01:48 PM »
One step closer to me actually playing XV. Just need that ch.13 and "more cutscenes/story to develop certain characters" patch they talked about and then I'm gonna play this sucker. I have a feeling that's going to be like 1 year anniversary November/December patch content. I'm glad the "car now goes anywhere" patch came out. Should make it more enjoyable when I play it.

Shuri

« Reply #17999 on: July 27, 2017, 04:25:12 PM »
I have received my HD Retrovision cables for the Sega Genesis, the quality upgrade is major! There are
Compatibility issues tho -  your lcd needs to support 240p, and a lot of sets simply don't. My LG and my el cheapp Vizio didnt like it, but my samsung did. I'm on my cellphone right now so sorry if it comes out all wrong

Here's a before/after pic I did using my cell phone. Results may vary
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]