Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3053364 times)

Uncle

• Have You Ever
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #29340 on: December 22, 2021, 09:39:44 PM »
Uncle

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #29341 on: December 23, 2021, 07:04:32 AM »

:shaq
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

paprikastaude

« Reply #29342 on: December 23, 2021, 07:07:15 AM »
Finally a good developer like Bioware for Sonic, what could go wrong?

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #29343 on: December 23, 2021, 07:17:28 AM »
I looked through the list of games that are releasing next year. It's barren as fuck.

Oh wait, GTA 5 in March. WOOOOOOOOO!

paprikastaude

« Reply #29344 on: December 23, 2021, 08:10:51 AM »
Better prepare for a couple of years of retro gaming until they can actually get new hardware to people.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29345 on: December 23, 2021, 11:32:26 AM »
I looked through the list of games that are releasing next year. It's barren as fuck.

Oh wait, GTA 5 in March. WOOOOOOOOO!

Elden Ring of course. I guess there's Forespoken, but tbh that has all the makings of a "Japanese dev tries to appeal to the west" that I thought we moved on from after the 360/PS3 era. There's also Triangle Strategy if that's your bag.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 12:46:54 PM by tiesto »
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29346 on: December 23, 2021, 11:54:29 AM »
Elden Ring
Dying Light 2
Horizon Forbidden West
Elex 2 [for the Eurojank crowd]
Triangle Strategy
Rune Factory 5
Stalker 2
Babylon's Fall
Test Drive Unlimited: Solar Crown
Starfield
Gran Turismo 7
dog

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #29347 on: December 23, 2021, 11:59:19 AM »
First few months are probably decent.

Elden Ring and Horizon 2 should be fine. STALKER 2 in April. There's also that stupid Final Fantasy Origins game that looks like the kind of trash I like to play.

The dialogue in Forspoken was so bad that I kinda enjoyed it. If the gameplay is any good and the writing stays that fucking dumb, it'll probably end up being one of those so bad it's good kinda game.

I'm kinda missing the big prestige titles though. Most of the stuff next year is seemingly still being held back by crossgen nonsense.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 12:04:42 PM by HardcoreRetro »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #29348 on: December 23, 2021, 12:15:01 PM »
STALKER 2 in April.
:putin
Sure thing...

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #29349 on: December 23, 2021, 01:48:59 PM »
https://www.ign.com/articles/geist-force-dreamcast

Yuji Naka tours a game studio who are developing some cool technology, making a Sega equivalent of Star Fox as a Dreamcast exclusive

he assumes that no one in the room can speak Japanese (turns out most of them do) and just blatantly says "I want your engine so I can make Sonic games, fire everyone here but keep one engineer on staff for me who understands the tech"

years later, Mr. Naka would go on to create Balan Wonderworld  :hyper
Uncle

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

Tuckers Law

« Reply #29351 on: December 24, 2021, 01:56:46 AM »
Elden Ring
Dying Light 2
Horizon Forbidden West
Elex 2 [for the Eurojank crowd]
Triangle Strategy
Rune Factory 5
Stalker 2
Babylon's Fall
Test Drive Unlimited: Solar Crown
Starfield
Gran Turismo 7

What will we do if Square Enix ever starts giving their new games normal names?
 :existential

benjipwns

« Reply #29352 on: December 24, 2021, 03:47:29 AM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #29354 on: December 27, 2021, 06:12:36 AM »
FF16 next showing is Spring 2022, Yoshida put out a statement that they had major development shattering covid wfh adjustment issues but the pipeline is now on track.

There is no fucking way this makes 2022. And this game originally targeted 2021 release. FF mainline titles are cursed.

So SE output in 2023 is FF16, DQ12, FF14 next xpac, maybe KH4
Pretty stacked.

Meanwhile 2022 is looking like Forspoken (lol), Tokyo Babylon (lol), Chaos!, and smaller stuff like DQ3 HD, Triangle Strategy and FF6 PR.

Definitely looking like an off year for them.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29355 on: December 27, 2021, 10:04:28 AM »
Cursed maybe. But everyone had to deal with covid. I can't really blame them for the delay. And you say off year, but often the smaller stuff is far better than the big stuff.

Bebpo

« Reply #29356 on: December 27, 2021, 03:13:20 PM »
Cursed maybe. But everyone had to deal with covid. I can't really blame them for the delay. And you say off year, but often the smaller stuff is far better than the big stuff.

True in quality, but too many games anymore to play most stuff so outside the big hitters I can't really be interested.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #29357 on: December 27, 2021, 04:24:03 PM »
At the end of the day, if it's good once it comes out, nobody will care.
If it's another FFXV, Cyberpunk, etc.. then they can worry about burying the franchise.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29358 on: December 28, 2021, 12:25:06 AM »
Meanwhile 2022 is looking like Forspoken (lol), Tokyo Babylon (lol), Chaos!, and smaller stuff like DQ3 HD, Triangle Strategy and FF6 PR.

Not interested in Dragon Quest X Offline or Star Ocean: The Divine Force?
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #29359 on: December 28, 2021, 01:55:08 AM »

Not interested in Dragon Quest X Offline or Star Ocean: The Divine Force?

Star Ocean fuck no. Terrible franchise.

DQX Offline, sure. And DQ3 HD is exciting. Also I'm non-ironically looking forward to the Jack Garland Chaos game. Should be a good Souls with FF skin. It's not a dead empty year, but coming from Endwalker and sandwiched between FF16 and DQXII it's a smaller year.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #29360 on: December 28, 2021, 07:52:32 AM »
I don't hate any DQ game but the japanese obsession with DQ3 is weird to me, I found it profoundly mediocre

it's better than 2 but worse than 4 as you would expect

I mean I get it, it was this legendary game that shut down their society on that day as everyone went out to buy it and was responsible for new legislation and all that

but maybe let it go
Uncle

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29362 on: December 28, 2021, 11:02:12 PM »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29363 on: December 28, 2021, 11:43:01 PM »
ど助平

benjipwns

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #29365 on: December 29, 2021, 10:24:47 PM »

benjipwns

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #29367 on: December 31, 2021, 03:53:26 AM »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29368 on: December 31, 2021, 04:06:31 PM »
https://twitter.com/M150Kendrick/status/1474889437486145538

I'm shocked I haven't seen a bunch of people walking around the island with this on non-ironically. They love their tacky 9/11 memorabilia here.
^_^

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #29369 on: January 02, 2022, 03:02:42 AM »

who is ted danson?

« Reply #29370 on: January 02, 2022, 01:37:35 PM »
Reading the Big Huge Games chapter in Press Reset by Schreier. Just wanted to say fuck Lincoln Chafee and fuck Epic games.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot

who is ted danson?

« Reply #29372 on: January 04, 2022, 02:51:47 PM »
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29373 on: January 04, 2022, 06:31:49 PM »
Reading the Big Huge Games chapter in Press Reset by Schreier. Just wanted to say fuck Lincoln Chafee and fuck Epic games.
Summary, please?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29374 on: January 04, 2022, 07:26:27 PM »
Lincoln Chafee, as governor of Rhode Island, sabotaged a deal to keep 38 Studios afloat. And Epic initially founded a new studio to hire on a bunch of former Big Huge Games people but then axed it a few months later.
dog

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #29375 on: January 05, 2022, 05:20:50 AM »
Did anyone give enough of a shit about Playstation VR for them to bother making a Playstation VR2?

Seems like it, but I don't ever hear anyone discussing VR outside of the early adopters who keep saying, "VR is really good now, they fixed all the problems."
Spud

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #29376 on: January 05, 2022, 06:34:55 AM »
Gaming enthusiast circles seem more open to VR now. I've personally been waiting for the VR2. The price of entry'll keep it niche for most people for now I assume.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #29377 on: January 05, 2022, 06:36:33 AM »
They didn't fix all the problems, but they fixed some major ones, especially since you can play with a Quest 2 in wireless through your PC, full on PCVR games.
Half Life Alyx was the closest i got to a "Super Mario 64" moment in more than a decade, and at this point i don't expect the marginal improvements to ambient occlusion and texture filtering that next gen seems to bring, to be able to blow anyone away anymore, so something like VR definitely has potential and room to explore still.

But if by "fix all the problem" you mean those aspects that are almost physically impossible to fix, like proper free locomotion, then fair enough.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29378 on: January 05, 2022, 09:42:26 AM »
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29379 on: January 05, 2022, 10:24:40 AM »
ど助平

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #29380 on: January 05, 2022, 03:54:06 PM »
But if by "fix all the problem" you mean those aspects that are almost physically impossible to fix, like proper free locomotion, then fair enough.
It was a throwaway insult directed at early adopters of failing technology who always seem desperate to justify their overpriced, under-featured and completely niche purchase in an attempt to try to rope others into their folly so that it becomes mainstream.
Spud

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #29381 on: January 05, 2022, 10:06:44 PM »
I get it, i was a believer in VR since d1 of Palmer Luckey launching his Kickstarter (well, believer but not investor  :doge), but for sure VR had a rough start up until Quest 2, which really seems to tick most of the "baseline" boxes for decent VR.
We're still in the phase of ironing out major drawbacks, one being the eye-tracking thing PSVR2 seems to cover, but it's a field where tech advancements take a very exciting form, as opposed to regular gaming, where it's been years of marginal improvements to cosmetics, but a complete stagnation (sometimes devolution) of design.
I'm well aware that VR has, like, 5 good games available, but i see that as a temporary issue of a new born platform, one with problems that many VR evangelists underestimated or underplay, but that can open the door to really *new* game-design concepts.

After all it's hard to compare the results of hundreds of companies spending billions of dollars over the course of 5 decades, to what is mostly indie devs developing for a minuscule install base on a completely new type of technology (carrying with them a whole number of bad habits, to boot).

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #29382 on: January 05, 2022, 10:14:22 PM »
Sure, they're ironing out the technical issues, but they are making no progress on the social and practical issues inherent in VR for gaming and for other purposes.

I may live to regret this opinion, but VR and the whole meta verse thing is just nerds with unlimited money trying to live out their 90s cyberpunk fantasies. It's dead in the water for mainstream adoption because the practical purposes are inherently terrible compared to other ways of doing things.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 10:18:49 PM by Potato »
Spud

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #29383 on: January 05, 2022, 10:34:56 PM »
I never cared about the metaverse bullshit.
Metaverse will be a thing when you'll be jacking into the Matrix.

VR as it exists now* is just an alternative branch for gaming, i see it as a resurgence of Arcades (specifically those cabinets with the big peripherals) and another way to better immerse you in fictional worlds (the way you experience Half Life's city in Alyx and Half Life 2 is just light year apart).

People fantasizing about spending hours "talking to their buddies" in a fake lounge are just delusional about what VR is good for, in my opinion.
Infact, VR is particularly great for shorter bursts, rather than spending 15 hours straight with you visor on.

*"Now" including the coming, but realistic, technical improvements, so stuff within reach; not brain hacking shenanigans and the like.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29384 on: January 05, 2022, 10:40:02 PM »
VR is something I'm interested in but not ready to make the full investment into yet. Some of my fave games ever have VR-specific modes that I'd imagine would pop (Rez Infinite and Tetris Effect), and I'm also itching to try out Half Life Alyx and the original Astro Boy.
^_^

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #29385 on: January 06, 2022, 10:23:51 AM »
©@©™

Svejk

« Reply #29386 on: January 06, 2022, 12:58:14 PM »
If not for Astrobot, VR would be piss.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29387 on: January 07, 2022, 08:51:53 AM »

In Showa American Story, the United States has become an unofficial colony of Japan. However, a catastrophic incident sees monsters and zombies popping up all over the region. Playing as Choko, a teenage action movie stuntwoman, who has been mysteriously revived from the dead, players will travel across the US in search of her sister, and answers for what's happened to the world around her. Take on hordes of monstrous foes and take a trip back to the '80s in this wild post-apocalyptic adventure.

Developed by indie game developer NEKCOM Games, Showa American Story will release on PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, and PC.

That's a hell of a description!
ど助平

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #29388 on: January 07, 2022, 09:26:01 AM »
Yes, I recognize that pool. :fbm

Beezy

« Reply #29389 on: January 07, 2022, 10:06:27 AM »
That's a hell of a trailer. :lol

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #29390 on: January 07, 2022, 11:01:01 AM »
Some of those animations look bad did they outsource the animations to a western studio?  :doge
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 11:11:11 AM by D3RANG3D »

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #29391 on: January 07, 2022, 11:15:52 AM »
Hope it’s actually fun to play. Everything else is right up my alley  :expert
Margs

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29392 on: January 07, 2022, 03:50:57 PM »

In Showa American Story, the United States has become an unofficial colony of Japan. However, a catastrophic incident sees monsters and zombies popping up all over the region. Playing as Choko, a teenage action movie stuntwoman, who has been mysteriously revived from the dead, players will travel across the US in search of her sister, and answers for what's happened to the world around her. Take on hordes of monstrous foes and take a trip back to the '80s in this wild post-apocalyptic adventure.

Developed by indie game developer NEKCOM Games, Showa American Story will release on PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, and PC.

That's a hell of a description!

Combat looks kinda meh [basically Oneechanbara-tier], but everything else looks fantastic.
dog

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #29393 on: January 08, 2022, 09:00:12 AM »
After 8 years, Project Zomboid is blowing up  :whew (and still not out of early access)

https://www.pcgamesn.com/project-zomboid/update-41-launch
https://www.nme.com/features/gaming-features/project-zomboids-chris-simpson-talks-about-a-decade-of-zomboid-and-build-41-3129604

Think I'm gonna finally pick it up

(Image removed from quote.)

It's weird it's blowing up now, cause the vast majority of the stuff in the new update has been in the beta for ages.
Although I guess the return of MP after like 4 years helped.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #29394 on: January 08, 2022, 11:22:41 AM »
After 8 years, Project Zomboid is blowing up  :whew (and still not out of early access)

https://www.pcgamesn.com/project-zomboid/update-41-launch
https://www.nme.com/features/gaming-features/project-zomboids-chris-simpson-talks-about-a-decade-of-zomboid-and-build-41-3129604

Think I'm gonna finally pick it up

(Image removed from quote.)

It's weird it's blowing up now, cause the vast majority of the stuff in the new update has been in the beta for ages.
Although I guess the return of MP after like 4 years helped.
I think a couple of big streamers also played it.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29395 on: January 09, 2022, 10:40:07 AM »

WebRcade is a new browser-based platform that allows you to play your own retro games via cloud storage like DropBox.  This will allow you to play your personal library on all sorts of devices -- like the iPhone, iPad, Xbox and more.  The games all run at full speed and it's very easy to set up the platform.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #29396 on: January 09, 2022, 12:18:33 PM »

WebRcade is a new browser-based platform that allows you to play your own retro games via cloud storage like DropBox.  This will allow you to play your personal library on all sorts of devices -- like the iPhone, iPad, Xbox and more.  The games all run at full speed and it's very easy to set up the platform.
:obama will indeed try this out

benjipwns

« Reply #29398 on: January 10, 2022, 09:20:32 PM »
Take-Two bought Zynga for almost $13 billion, largest acquisition in gaming history: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220110005389/en/

Have some corporate gibberish:
Take-Two has also identified over $500 million of incremental annual Net Bookings opportunities to unlock over time, driven by:

Creation of new mobile games for many of the iconic franchises within Take-Two’s portfolio of intellectual property. Take-Two has an extensive catalog of commercially and critically successful console and PC titles with engaged and loyal communities of players, and there is a meaningful opportunity to create mobile games and new cross-platform experiences for many of these properties. Zynga’s nearly 3,000 employees include highly-talented mobile developers, paving the way for Take-Two to accelerate this strategic initiative and introduce its iconic intellectual properties across the fastest-growing platform in the industry.

Ability to optimize RCS by leveraging the collective knowledge across both companies. Both Take-Two and Zynga have extensive capabilities to engage players through live operations (“LiveOps”) and RCS initiatives. By combining resources and proven acumen, the teams at Take-Two and Zynga will deploy best-in-class practices throughout the organization to enhance and grow existing titles across the portfolio. Key opportunities include cross-marketing through a larger, shared customer database and improving game economies through more effective data analytics and machine learning models.

Other strategic benefits include the use of Zynga’s Chartboost advertising platform, which will improve new user acquisition through better audience targeting and optimize mobile advertising inventory to achieve greater yields; geographic expansion into growth markets across Asia, including India, and the Middle East, among other regions; and an enhanced focus on technological innovation and new business models that will utilize the collective knowledge of forward-thinking talent.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29399 on: January 10, 2022, 09:53:13 PM »
Absolute foolishness.