Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3201163 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #33120 on: September 02, 2023, 02:39:01 PM »
Starfield is getting hit with 7s and 75% scores.  PANIC!

This one's a 5/10:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/games/starfield/starfield-fails-to-launch
Like many I was able to overlook all those issues in Fallout 3, Skyrim, and Fallout 4 because of the quality of the writing and the worldbuilding. Those games had characters I cared about in compelling situations that I wanted to resolve. Starfield doesn’t have that. Starfield is thematically so similar to Mass Effect and yet so inferior to it that I just wanted to go play those games again. Its approach to exploration is so similar to No Man’s Sky and so inferior to it that it made me want to go back to 2016 and play the original version of that painfully underrated game once more. And in almost every other way it feels like Fallout 4 and Skyrim, but, you guessed it, inferior to them.

:whew

???

(Image removed from quote.)

IGN US gave God Hand a 3 as well so yeaaa

And the guy who reviewed Starfield gave Watch Dogs Legion an 8. Lmao

You're going super fanboy on this one.  You never go super fanboy.  :doge
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33121 on: September 03, 2023, 10:05:26 AM »

This one's a 5/10:

Like many I was able to overlook all those issues in Fallout 3, Skyrim, and Fallout 4 because of the quality of the writing and the worldbuilding. Those games had characters I cared about in compelling situations that I wanted to resolve. Starfield doesn’t have that. Starfield is thematically so similar to Mass Effect and yet so inferior to it that I just wanted to go play those games again. Its approach to exploration is so similar to No Man’s Sky and so inferior to it that it made me want to go back to 2016 and play the original version of that painfully underrated game once more. And in almost every other way it feels like Fallout 4 and Skyrim, but, you guessed it, inferior to them.

???

The game is amazing and doesnt deserve any of the dumb hate like : ugh loading screens (every bgs game has loading screens), game is woke bcs pronouns, game is ugly, blablabla.

Getting sick of it because people have worked hard on this project for 8 years and dumb fanboys are ready to tear it down cause its not on their prefered plastic box.

Dan Stapleton giving Mass Effect Andromeda a 7.7 but Starfield a 7 is hilarious.

How much of a fanboy do you have to be to hold up such a negative opinion of a game that does almost everything twice as well as ME:Andromeda?

Not saying the game is perfect or has no bugs but game is better than the sum of its parts
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33122 on: September 03, 2023, 10:41:05 AM »

This one's a 5/10:

???

The game is amazing and doesnt deserve any of the dumb hate like : ugh loading screens (every bgs game has loading screens), game is woke bcs pronouns, game is ugly, blablabla.

Getting sick of it because people have worked hard on this project for 8 years and dumb fanboys are ready to tear it down cause its not on their prefered plastic box.

Dan Stapleton giving Mass Effect Andromeda a 7.7 but Starfield a 7 is hilarious.

How much of a fanboy do you have to be to hold up such a negative opinion of a game that does almost everything twice as well as ME:Andromeda?

Not saying the game is perfect or has no bugs but game is better than the sum of its parts

Weren't you shitting on Saints Row 2022 without having played it?  :doge

Sure, that game deserves to be shit on, but it's the principle of the the whole thing.

Also-

ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33123 on: September 03, 2023, 12:14:42 PM »
I just find it demoralising for the industry and especially for the people who worked hard on it for 8 years of their lives, trying to bring their best to a game we get to play.
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33124 on: September 03, 2023, 12:41:38 PM »
I just find it demoralising for the industry and especially for the people who worked hard on it for 8 years of their lives, trying to bring their best to a game we get to play.

And how do you think the people at Volition felt?

:dead
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 02:53:57 PM by Nintex »
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33126 on: September 03, 2023, 05:33:56 PM »
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33127 on: September 03, 2023, 05:34:58 PM »

And how do you think the people at Volition felt?

:dead

Sucks for them, but I hope they saw the writing on the wall when they were making a game that literally nobody wanted.

Fans tried warning Volition but they didn't want to listen.

Not saying it's a better situation but the criticism against Saints Row are earned.
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33128 on: September 04, 2023, 12:26:34 AM »
D3RANG3D, got another "Aaaaand it's gone for you."

Dunno if I posted about it here, but about a month ago, I picked up the Anbernic RG405M.  It's another in the endless line of handheld emulation devices that feel like they come out every other week.  This one is really high quality with an excellent all-metal build, hall sticks, and a nice 4:3 aspect screen that covers nearly the entire face of the unit.  It's Android-based and had some issues at release, but a custom OS was released (Gamma OS) that fixes pretty much all the problems and even makes the display look better.  I had been wanting to get a better-performing emulation device and decided to get this to use it on an upcoming trip.  It was really impressive, but the 4:3 screen didn't work as well for some platforms (GBA, PSP) and Android games I tried were kinda squished. 

Yesterday was the last day I was able to return it.  It also just so happened that Amazon had Retroid Pocket 3 Metal editions in stock.  I took that as a sign and bought one of the last ones they had left, then returned the 405M.  The two handhelds are pretty similar in that they both have the same internals, but the RP3+ has a 16:9 screen and better shoulder buttons.  The metal version also has hall sticks.  Definitely glad I picked this up- it feels just as premium, but the screen is way better and the d-pad is also a lot better. It also has HDMI-out which I'd like to try. Gotta get all the emulators up and running first.  I messed with some Android games and they looked really nice on it.
ど助平

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #33129 on: September 04, 2023, 12:13:30 PM »

Dunno if I posted about it here, but about a month ago, I picked up the Anbernic RG405M.  It's another in the endless line of handheld emulation devices that feel like they come out every other week.  This one is really high quality with an excellent all-metal build, hall sticks, and a nice 4:3 aspect screen that covers nearly the entire face of the unit.  It's Android-based and had some issues at release, but a custom OS was released (Gamma OS) that fixes pretty much all the problems and even makes the display look better.  I had been wanting to get a better-performing emulation device and decided to get this to use it on an upcoming trip.  It was really impressive, but the 4:3 screen didn't work as well for some platforms (GBA, PSP) and Android games I tried were kinda squished. 

Yesterday was the last day I was able to return it.  It also just so happened that Amazon had Retroid Pocket 3 Metal editions in stock.  I took that as a sign and bought one of the last ones they had left, then returned the 405M.  The two handhelds are pretty similar in that they both have the same internals, but the RP3+ has a 16:9 screen and better shoulder buttons.  The metal version also has hall sticks.  Definitely glad I picked this up- it feels just as premium, but the screen is way better and the d-pad is also a lot better. It also has HDMI-out which I'd like to try. Gotta get all the emulators up and running first.  I messed with some Android games and they looked really nice on it.

:rejoice

« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 01:49:41 PM by D3RANG3D »

Polident Hive

« Reply #33130 on: September 05, 2023, 01:43:33 AM »

Retroid 3+ seems like an all around winner. Waiting a bit to see if a 3S or 4 will be the same, only with start/select on the front face.

I’ll add, the Retroid 2S seemed great on paper. But the side by sides, the screen is too small compounded by huge borders. Even compared to a 4:3 with borders on a 3+, effectively a 3.8” screen, makes a visible difference. Would be nice if one of these had 16:10. It’s really nice on the Steam Deck.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 05:14:02 AM by Polident Hive »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33131 on: September 05, 2023, 02:24:48 PM »

Retroid 3+ seems like an all around winner. Waiting a bit to see if a 3S or 4 will be the same, only with start/select on the front face.

I’ll add, the Retroid 2S seemed great on paper. But the side by sides, the screen is too small compounded by huge borders. Even compared to a 4:3 with borders on a 3+, effectively a 3.8” screen, makes a visible difference. Would be nice if one of these had 16:10. It’s really nice on the Steam Deck.

If you want a 4:3 screen handheld, definitely check out the RG405M.  With Gamma OS, it's really awesome and pretty much all the flaws it has stock are fixed with it.  I do think that Retroid handhelds have better d-pads though.  I also have the 2+ but didn't really use it much.  It felt kind of slow and clunky compared to the 3+ and the right stick being a slide pad kinda sucked.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33132 on: September 06, 2023, 12:46:09 PM »

GPD at it again :gaas
ど助平

Coax

« Reply #33133 on: September 07, 2023, 04:07:08 AM »
Hands. Curious little browser-playable platformer/puzzle game with decent music.

Himu

« Reply #33134 on: September 07, 2023, 06:36:16 AM »
GRAN FLEUR!!!!!!
IYKYK

Polident Hive

« Reply #33135 on: September 07, 2023, 06:54:10 AM »

Way back with the GPD Win 1, if I remember correctly, the fan cooling was tacked on because they thought it could be passively cooled. All the years later they still underestimate the heat these things can generate.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 06:58:23 AM by Polident Hive »

Coax

« Reply #33136 on: September 07, 2023, 07:10:05 AM »
Hands.

I revisited this since I saw a screenshot of an area I hadn't discovered and was not expecting a bullet hell sequence :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33137 on: September 07, 2023, 09:21:00 AM »

Way back with the GPD Win 1, if I remember correctly, the fan cooling was tacked on because they thought it could be passively cooled. All the years later they still underestimate the heat these things can generate.

I don't trust them at all after my experiences with their products.  Don't plan to ever buy a GPD device again- or any of these devices if they're not released by companies with a U.S. presence. 
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33138 on: September 08, 2023, 04:38:50 PM »
ど助平

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #33139 on: September 08, 2023, 04:44:43 PM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #33140 on: September 09, 2023, 12:52:43 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33141 on: September 09, 2023, 06:20:59 PM »

Might look into this, but I'm pretty satisfied with the M30 and its Saturn/Genesis pad fusion design.

ど助平

Himu

« Reply #33142 on: September 09, 2023, 08:11:37 PM »
Holy dang

IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33143 on: September 09, 2023, 10:37:21 PM »
Hm looks fake

"Gameplay"

Lol ok
What

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #33144 on: September 10, 2023, 02:42:38 PM »

:rejoice

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33145 on: September 10, 2023, 03:14:15 PM »
Starfied is legit a great Bethesda game but the Bloomberg people have to do this PR babble with Phil "Biggest year of Xbox" Spencer every year as Xbox keeps limping along hiding their actual results behind abstract numbers like GamePass subscriptions and hours played.
🤴

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #33146 on: September 11, 2023, 07:32:25 PM »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33147 on: September 12, 2023, 04:43:28 AM »
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33148 on: September 12, 2023, 04:44:58 AM »
Also does asmorongold do any playing of games or he just reacts in his basement to other people?

That guy is such an annoying guy as well
What

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #33149 on: September 12, 2023, 09:08:41 PM »

:umad

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33150 on: September 13, 2023, 12:00:15 AM »

2.5D side-scrolling character action game Slave Zero X will launch for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC via Steam and GOG on February 21, 2024, publisher Ziggurat Interactive and developer Poppy Works announced. A demo is available now for Xbox Series, Xbox One, and PC via Steam.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #33151 on: September 13, 2023, 01:15:20 AM »
Looks fantastic. I'll dl the demo and report back
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #33152 on: September 13, 2023, 02:05:49 AM »
I'm pretty annoyed that Unity is destroying itself after I spent some effort last year actually starting to learn how to make games using Unity (plus bought a bunch of assets, engines, classes for it).

I was planning on getting back to game dev this fall, but now I'm torn between continuing on Unity and improving my game dev skills with tiny little games for myself and friends. But the more I commit myself to learning Unity the deeper in I'll be if it totally dies in the near future.

Or starting from basically scratch with UE5.0 which seems like it's pretty future-proof. Godot doesn't really seem appealing to me. I mostly want to make 2d games, and I know UE is supposedly much better for 2d these days, but I did like what I was seeing of Unity so this is bleh.

I know a lot of basic game design code principles carry over between engines, but so many commands in Unity are Unity specific, that re-learning it all in a different engine will basically be starting from scratch. I mean I only spent like 3-4 months on it last year, but idk 3-4 months is still a lot of time to start all over.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 07:47:07 AM by MMaRsu »
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33154 on: September 13, 2023, 07:25:04 AM »
What

Coax

« Reply #33155 on: September 13, 2023, 07:45:53 AM »
Assassin's Creed: The Knife of Dunwall Baghdad

Svejk

« Reply #33156 on: September 13, 2023, 09:14:37 AM »

2.5D side-scrolling character action game Slave Zero X will launch for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC via Steam and GOG on February 21, 2024, publisher Ziggurat Interactive and developer Poppy Works announced. A demo is available now for Xbox Series, Xbox One, and PC via Steam.
So is this suppose to be a spin off/sequel of that DC game?  I feel like I was one of the only people that loved that game. lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33157 on: September 13, 2023, 03:33:49 PM »

So is this suppose to be a spin off/sequel of that DC game?  I feel like I was one of the only people that loved that game. lol

Prequel.  I don't remember the original, apart from thinking it was crap.
:heh
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33158 on: September 13, 2023, 04:50:44 PM »
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33159 on: September 13, 2023, 05:14:34 PM »
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1702049111468384261

Guess it won't be a trilogy.

It probably will, they will let someone else direct it and Respawn will probably still make a third one
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33160 on: September 13, 2023, 05:36:00 PM »
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33161 on: September 13, 2023, 09:41:34 PM »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33162 on: September 13, 2023, 09:42:15 PM »

Out on Steam Friday
ど助平

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33163 on: September 14, 2023, 09:54:06 AM »

the original fairies weren't so ugly and the triforce finally being in the game  :tocry

Polident Hive

« Reply #33164 on: September 14, 2023, 10:19:41 AM »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #33165 on: September 14, 2023, 11:10:34 AM »
TOMB RAIDER IS BECAUSE OF MEEeeeeeeeeeee why did I just spend like a month playing all the TR games lmao

I WILL DO IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33166 on: September 14, 2023, 11:22:51 AM »
Classic TR is goated
What

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #33167 on: September 14, 2023, 12:44:11 PM »
Guess it won't be a trilogy.

It probably will, they will let someone else direct it and Respawn will probably still make a third one

David Cage.  :patel
©@©™

Polident Hive

« Reply #33168 on: September 14, 2023, 02:05:57 PM »
From what information is out there, it doesn’t read like the Tomb Raider games will have gameplay or control updates. That’s fine by me. Bold, though.

Himu

« Reply #33169 on: September 14, 2023, 02:19:49 PM »
Right when I was going to buy the original trilogy for PSX because of Demi :rejoice
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33170 on: September 14, 2023, 03:24:27 PM »
From what information is out there, it doesn’t read like the Tomb Raider games will have gameplay or control updates. That’s fine by me. Bold, though.

Good
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #33171 on: September 14, 2023, 03:24:53 PM »
It does have a new control scheme

Players can experience the journey their own way, with the ability to toggle on the fly between enhanced and original graphics, as well as switch between classic and modern joystick control schemes. Fans will also discover a variety of quality-of-life improvements, including camera lock-on and achievements.

https://www.crystald.com/aspyr-crystal-dynamics-reveal-tomb-raider-i-iii-remastered-starring-lara-croft-coming-to-pc-consoles-feb-14-2024/
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33172 on: September 14, 2023, 03:27:01 PM »
Yea was about to post that, good that there is an options
What

Polident Hive

« Reply #33173 on: September 14, 2023, 03:58:48 PM »
game news sites don’t report shit.

PC players who currently own Tomb Raider I (Steam), Tomb Raider II (Steam), Tomb Raider III (Steam), or Tomb Raider Trilogy (GOG) can pre-order with a 20% loyalty discount on the platform where they own the original titles.

Yeah getting this

Himu

« Reply #33174 on: September 14, 2023, 04:11:21 PM »
Game news sites :lol

IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #33175 on: September 14, 2023, 04:36:56 PM »
https://www.humblebundle.com/software/everything-you-need-to-know-about-godot-4-encore-software

The way the entire industry is trolling the fuck out of Unity's collapse is kind of hilarious.

I may try Godot before trying Unreal Engine since I'm mostly interested in making small 2d games.

Svejk

« Reply #33176 on: September 14, 2023, 05:35:51 PM »
 :lawd

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #33177 on: September 14, 2023, 05:50:58 PM »
The amount of game announcements and release date announcements between Nintendo and Sony today was pretty crazy.
2024 is packed for Japanese games. And RE4r expansion in a week!

...but where the fuck is DQ3HD?

Himu

« Reply #33178 on: September 14, 2023, 06:27:21 PM »
:lawd

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Fuck yes
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #33179 on: September 14, 2023, 08:50:17 PM »
Star Ocean 2 HD demo is actually pretty legit good.

I kinda hate Star Ocean series outside 2, though I've never really wanted to replay 2, but maybe I will someday with this. Yeah, if they remade Xenogears or something in this style it'd be awesome.

I appreciate they give you a 2x FF speed for cutscenes.

FF9 remake probably should've just been something like this.