Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3051123 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #32880 on: May 25, 2023, 06:46:56 PM »
So are all these bad AAA games coming out recently because Covid fucked up development for the last few years? Or just publishers being completely off the mark chasing trends?

Though the latter is maybe no different from publishers making everything a dudebro shooter during the PS3/X360 years.
My bro is trying to figure out what the hell is happening. He knew things were bad in some studios but he didn't know things were this bad.

He told me before it was mostly a shortage of skilled and experienced technical artists that sank projects like HALO Infinite and Saints Row much like what had happened with Mass Effect Andromeda.
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #32881 on: May 25, 2023, 07:40:43 PM »
AAA game development is unsustainable. Yes there are breakout hits, but this is just the obvious consequence of everyone chasing the same red ocean.

Covid is not to blame here.

Combine the red ocean with the botched generational changeover and everyone is finding their expenses are too high and their market is too competitive.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 02:08:01 AM by Potato »
Spud

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32882 on: May 25, 2023, 09:23:10 PM »

ETA Prime also put up a video with some gaming performance- he had Fortnite running at 1080P at nearly 120 FPS. 

:putin
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #32883 on: May 26, 2023, 12:24:00 AM »
AAA game development is unsustainable. Yes there are breakout his, but this is just the obvious consequence of everyone chasing the same red ocean.

Combine the red ocean with the botched generational changeover and everyone is finding their expenses are too high and their market is too competitive.

Yeah, but that’s nothing new.

But definitely feels like far more AAA stinkers in the last six to twelve months than we’ve seen in past years.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32884 on: May 26, 2023, 09:55:58 AM »
Laptop #6- the MSI Stealth 14:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Like the build quality and after some small issues with updates, got it set up and was impressed with the performance.  Cloned the SSD to a larger one and popped in 32 GB of RAM.  Turned it on and the AC adapter no longer works.  :rofl  So back it goes.  This is definitely a case where I'm glad it will still charge with USB-C so I can get Windows reset before it goes back.  I got this at a store locally so will see about getting another one tomorrow.  The laptop is a mild pain to get opened and the RAM has a metal casing that has to be removed that was a major pain in the ass to get back on- I bet something shorted when I did that or when the bottom casing was put back on.  It includes the side parts which rub up on all the ports.  Will probably ask them to do it for me this time.

Also this has a 4060, so I've now tried 4050, 4060, and 4070 laptops.  I don't see much of a difference between the 4060 and 4070 to the point where it seems like it's a waste of money to go with the latter (unless it's the only model offered like ASUS is doing with some of the Flow machines), at least if the 4060 runs at a higher wattage.  The Stealth 14 is 90w and gave some impressive benchmark results.

Laptop #7- MSI Stealth 14 (again):

[close]

Got an email alert this morning that ASUS has the Z13 Acronym in stock again. I'm going to give it another shot because that's what I really wanted in the first place. If there's any QC issues or bricks from an update, I'm done with them, possible Ally purchase aside.  And if this does have to go back, I'm not going to buy the Stealth again either mainly because of micro center- didn't get the best customer service when I went back to get a replacement. They also put the ram in for me and didn't do a good job closing the laptop back up. I'm just going to sit tight and see what else comes out later on or just get the Ally and see if that works for me.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 10:44:43 PM by bork »
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32885 on: May 26, 2023, 10:04:39 AM »
Can yall just edit if ur gonna quote a wall of text?  ??? :lol
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32886 on: May 26, 2023, 01:02:52 PM »
AAA game development is unsustainable. Yes there are breakout his, but this is just the obvious consequence of everyone chasing the same red ocean.

Yeah, but that’s nothing new.

But definitely feels like far more AAA stinkers in the last six to twelve months than we’ve seen in past years.
To me it just looks like the result of a lack of testing and specialization. My guess is that outsourcing QA also has something to do with this.
In the past studios had experienced in house QA departments while now they just outsource it. Plus when you read development stories about the first HALO and such, you'll learn that everyone was involved from start to finish.
The composer of the game playtested it as much as the director. Now everything is divided up into departments and contractors deliver specific bits and pieces. In most cases producers probably don't even play the game but simply manage the Jira boards and spreadsheets. As we know from the Redfall debacle Microsoft does 'mock reviews' to guess where it lands on Metacritic and apparently uses that to decide if they ship it or not(?). 

It's not just video games, software and apps in general is just poorly tested and rolled out on a 'release now - fix later' principle as is usual with agile development. I'm sure costs and marketing play a role in it too but overall it just seems like a mindset among a new generation of developers who are to be honest, used to having daily updates for apps and OSs.

https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/1662135880721612801
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32887 on: May 26, 2023, 05:51:40 PM »
Can yall just edit if ur gonna quote a wall of text?  ??? :lol

It's part of the schtick
:rodney

But OK.  :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 10:45:05 PM by bork »
ど助平

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #32888 on: May 26, 2023, 06:55:09 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32889 on: May 26, 2023, 07:06:52 PM »
https://twitter.com/Naughty_Dog/status/1662166716892479488

According to Press Sneak Fuck they've downsized the team and went back to the drawing table.
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #32890 on: May 27, 2023, 12:37:37 AM »
Lol, apparently the PlayStation WiiQ only has 4 hours of battery life.
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32891 on: May 27, 2023, 07:37:58 AM »
Gamers: "Wow, Xbox fucked up. I can't wait to switch to PS5, I'm sure Sony has their shit in order and is ready to strike lol. This PlayStation Showcase is going to be the best ever"

Sony looking at their devs copying the Wii U and rendering a bunch of CG trailers:  :mike
🤴

Polident Hive

« Reply #32892 on: May 27, 2023, 08:32:46 AM »

That’s not that bad considering Netflix streaming can kill an iPad in 4 to 6 hours. It is what it is (stupid) with streaming handhelds. If Sony weren’t Sony, by its nature it should have enough juice to emulate legacy PlayStation games. PS1, PSP, PS2. But it’s Sony.

Svejk

« Reply #32893 on: May 27, 2023, 12:06:04 PM »
https://twitter.com/Naughty_Dog/status/1662166716892479488

According to Press Sneak Fuck they've downsized the team and went back to the drawing table.
Trash that shit and make something else, ND.  :camby

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #32894 on: May 27, 2023, 05:57:02 PM »

That’s not that bad considering Netflix streaming can kill an iPad in 4 to 6 hours. It is what it is (stupid) with streaming handhelds. If Sony weren’t Sony, by its nature it should have enough juice to emulate legacy PlayStation games. PS1, PSP, PS2. But it’s Sony.
When Soyny says 4 hours, what they really mean is 2.
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #32895 on: May 27, 2023, 10:40:20 PM »
Spud

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #32896 on: May 29, 2023, 11:42:07 AM »
PSA for the like two gaming side exclusive posters:

Okay, an alt-Bore for unfunny incels is available now: https://thebore.net/forum/

I made a couple example threads just to test things, as people make the threads like "what are you playing?", random talk thread, the movies thread or whatever I'll sticky them or not. The emoticons are in a bit of a mess at the moment as I mass imported, they're all on the server but a number of them I need to go through and match the codes to here for so they aren't available in the pop-up. (Which I'll probably need to edit since it's made for a normal amount of them.) Most other things should work as intended, though I know a few things are missing and I already have some plugins. I installed no themes or anything like that. I'm posting this now in part because I can't test the likes by myself and we all know that's essential. Other features to add/disable/etc. we can discuss over there.

If bork, Joe and demi sign up I'll make them moderators just because even if they don't want to do anything. (I probably should recreate the Icon status just in case anyone ever comes back by accident or out of personal despair.) Anyone else we can discuss down the road.

Yes, I know the newsfeed only shows up on the main page. I looked at the template and it's supposed to be there. I don't have all the newsfeed items I know because the one long one about sleepovers or whatever never turned up for me to copy/paste.

I'm unfortunately not going to be available to refresh constantly out of anxiety for much of today so please don't post too much illegal content or try to crash the server with exploits. And most definitely do not use problematic uncouth language.
Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32897 on: May 29, 2023, 03:22:26 PM »
https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2023/05/speculation-claims-sony-opted-not-to-include-some-major-ps5-games-during-ps-showcase

Even the article slug points out they've got the bargaining stage
like I said before it started it was way overhyped. Sony had a decent show, the return of Metal Gear alone was big news and Spider-Man 2 looked great if you are into Spider-Man.
A new game from Bungie also a big deal and a bunch of sequels to indie titles like Journey. On the third party side, gameplay reveals of Alan Wake 2 and Assassins Creed Mirage were stellar.
Gran Blu Fantasy Relink had fallen completely off the radar and resurfaced.

Sony also has a big exclusive coming up with Final Fantasy 16 and a bunch of other third party games like Armored Core and Street Fighter 6 are releasing soon.

The days of E3 megatons are over, you ain't getting 10, 20 or 30 new AAA+ game reveals that's just not how the industry works anymore. It's all about the platform having a strong momentum moving into the upswing of the subscription engagement growth.

... and then Nintendo blowing everyone the fuck out with Metroid Prime 4 announced in a tweet 24 hours after Summer Games Fest.
🤴

Polident Hive

« Reply #32898 on: May 30, 2023, 10:34:22 AM »

Jetpack should be available always.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #32899 on: May 30, 2023, 11:29:56 AM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32901 on: May 31, 2023, 12:54:22 PM »
Laptop #8: ASUS Z13 Acronym (part deux): Got it, de-bloated it, and updated it.  ASUS has BIOS updates baked into Windows updates, so it forced me to do a BIOS update whether I wanted to or not.  The screen went black after the update completed and nothing happened.  Figured it bricked like the last one did, but then it rebooted itself a few times and was normal. 

...And following this, the keyboard cover started having issues with the lighting flickering just like the first one I got and returned.  :lol  It's more sporadic though and easy to fix (just turn the lighting off/on), so I'll stick with it for now.  But if anything else happens, it gone and the odyssey either ends or I will go with an Alienware X14.

I can really see how the performance isn't as good as the MSI Stealth 14 despite this having better specs.  The wattage really matters here.  But it's not bad- getting 130-140 FPS in COD versus 140-160 FPS on the Stealth, and I much prefer this device's form factor.
:itagaki
ど助平

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #32902 on: May 31, 2023, 01:18:44 PM »
Bork have you looked into this.

https://atlasos.net/

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32903 on: May 31, 2023, 02:44:32 PM »
Bork have you looked into this.

https://atlasos.net/

Neat, but I'd be concerned about the ASUS stuff not working correctly with it.
ど助平

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #32904 on: May 31, 2023, 10:37:31 PM »
I kinda want to redo my rigs with that but that requires me to do stuff.  :lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32905 on: June 01, 2023, 06:26:58 AM »
Naka will finally answer for his crimes
https://twitter.com/Genki_JPN/status/1664205636622770176
🤴

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #32906 on: June 01, 2023, 11:07:59 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Always good to see the Dreamcast continuing to get support
:O

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32907 on: June 03, 2023, 05:37:59 PM »
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #32908 on: June 05, 2023, 10:47:33 PM »

Svejk

« Reply #32909 on: June 07, 2023, 09:23:29 AM »

Svejk

« Reply #32910 on: June 07, 2023, 09:41:52 AM »
Damn.. Sean just took that shit personally.  Fucking beast.

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1666429824817065984

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #32911 on: June 07, 2023, 06:13:50 PM »

Svejk

« Reply #32912 on: June 08, 2023, 12:37:14 AM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #32913 on: June 08, 2023, 09:38:29 AM »

Svejk

« Reply #32914 on: June 08, 2023, 05:04:49 PM »
Wow… Besides FFVIIR2, SGF showcase was so bad.  It made Sony’s look like a work of art.  :doge

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)

Bebpo

« Reply #32916 on: June 08, 2023, 07:26:12 PM »
P3 is great but I don't know what the point of a slightly better graphics remake is...

I guess when the Persona team/director are gone, just like Metal Gear, you got nothing to do but remakes.

archnemesis

« Reply #32917 on: June 09, 2023, 02:23:35 AM »
A P3 remake is a great idea. There are plenty of people who discovered the series with P4/P5 and now they can play an updated version of a fantastic game. I've played the game twice and I won't replay it anytime soon.

Coax

« Reply #32918 on: June 09, 2023, 09:10:38 AM »
Oh hey it's that game. Interestingly here doesn't really comment on difficulty spikes though does complain some boss fights seem ill suited to the mechanics.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32919 on: June 09, 2023, 09:22:02 AM »
P3 is great but I don't know what the point of a slightly better graphics remake is...

I guess when the Persona team/director are gone, just like Metal Gear, you got nothing to do but remakes.

persona 3 is awful to replay. this remake is just what the game needed, pending QoL and gameplay changes if any
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #32920 on: June 09, 2023, 05:21:11 PM »

persona 3 is awful to replay. this remake is just what the game needed, pending QoL and gameplay changes if any

I haven’t played P3P but I thought it fixed everything wrong with P3?

Let's Cyber

« Reply #32921 on: June 10, 2023, 06:48:34 AM »
P3P has updated Social Links with the female main character, new music and control over party members.
Unfortunately unlike vanilla P3 and FES, it has menu based Visual Novel style overworld exploration and lacks the anime cutscenes.  FES is much better in those regards plus as an extra post-game dungeon that P3P doesn't have.  People have wanted the best of both FES and P3P for a definitive version of the game.

If P3Reload has P5R style graphics with QoL improvements and full party control, it essentially becomes the best version IMO.  No FeMC sucks but it isn't the deal breaker weebs make it out to be.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #32922 on: June 10, 2023, 06:56:38 AM »
In terms of tone and characters, i think P3 is my favorite Persona. Hence I'm super excited about the remake.

I've wanted an excuse to go back to it but parts of the original game are pretty archaic, especially compared to Golden and Royal. 

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #32923 on: June 10, 2023, 11:39:49 AM »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32924 on: June 10, 2023, 11:49:23 AM »
People put The Answer on a pedestal too much.

It's like 30 hours of slog for 2 hours of story
fat

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #32925 on: June 10, 2023, 03:04:52 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32927 on: June 12, 2023, 12:25:47 PM »
The Persona 3 remake will only have original P3 content- nothing from FES or Portable.

Why do I get the feeling that stuff will be sold as DLC or as a new version of the game later on? :doge
ど助平

Let's Cyber

« Reply #32928 on: June 12, 2023, 12:42:53 PM »
all the suckers paying for The Answer in 2 years

:ufup :girlaff :crowdlaff

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #32929 on: June 13, 2023, 10:35:35 AM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #32930 on: June 13, 2023, 08:51:28 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32931 on: June 13, 2023, 10:52:20 PM »
Got the ASUS Ally today.  Haven't had too much time to play games on it, plus that stock 512 GB SSD (had 420 GB after all updates and debloating) just isn't enough space- I have a 2TB SSD coming next week though.

Had a rocky start with it, but I am liking this device so far.  When I first turned it on and started setting it up, the on-screen keyboard failed to come up and I couldn't do anything until I plugged a keyboard into it.  After a few minutes, one of the ASUS-related processes crashed (I hadn't even gotten past the Windows setup yet lol) and it rebooted itself, then started working normally.  It crashed one more time when Windows began loading the desktop, too.  But after installing all the various Windows updates, Armor Crate updates, and My ASUS updates (which included two forced BIOS updates), it's working nicely.  A friend of mine got his today too and said he also had the keyboard issue, plus when he turned it on for the first time, it was asking him which device to boot from.
:dizzy

The Ally is noticeably lighter than the Steam Deck and is a bit smaller.  It's pretty comfortable to hold and doesn't get too hot (when playing games), plus the fans are pretty quiet even on turbo mode.  Similar to the Steam Deck, there's dedicated face buttons for accessing system-related options.  One button brings up the command center, which gives you on-the-fly options like performance modes, control modes (mouse, controller, or auto select), keyboard, FPS limiter, AMD RSR, etc., and the other is the "Game Library" mode, which is a Steam OS-like interface that adds application tiles you can select to go into games, making it so that you can easily get into games no matter if they're on Steam, Epic, Battle.Net, or something else.

The screen is 1080P/120 FPS and is pretty nice.  Definitely a step up from the Steam Deck for sure- but I wouldn't expect to get that out of most games.  Stuff I've tried so far:

-Diablo IV: With FSR on performance, I got 60-80 FPS at 1080P.  Looks great!
-Street Fighter 6 on 720P was no sweat, but I still need to tweak the settings a bit more to get 1080P/60 FPS out of it- got close at 55 FPS.
-Call Of Duty Modern Warfare II (hey, it runs!  This is unplayable on Steam OS) benchmark at recommended settings with FSR enabled at 1080P had an average of 94 FPS.  This was very impressive!
-Control: On higher settings at 1080P, it ran around 40 FPS.  Dropping down to 720P netted around 50 FPS.  Putting most settings on medium and then borderless with Vita rendering resolution (960x540) gave me framerates above 60.  Around 70-80 FPS on average.  Still looks pretty good, too.
-Cyberpunk: Needs some tweaking.  It defaulted to 1080P with FSR on.  I changed to performance.  Most of the settings were on medium or high and it ran at 40-50 FPS with some dips into the 30s.  Felt pretty playable and looked crazy good at this resolution.
-Wo Long- On FSR1, it ran at 50-60 FPS (with dips into the 40s) at 1080P, but looked pretty blurry.  FSR2 is very sharp, but framerate takes a hit and it's more in the 40s.
-Yakuza: Like A Dragon- 45-55 FPS on medium settings at 1080P.  50-70 FPS on high settings at 720P.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 12:24:03 AM by bork »
ど助平

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #32932 on: June 13, 2023, 11:09:45 PM »
Does it have the Steam Deck smell though?
itm

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32933 on: June 13, 2023, 11:13:52 PM »
Does it have the Steam Deck smell though?

Nope

:stahp
ど助平

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #32934 on: June 14, 2023, 10:07:20 AM »

How soon?
[close]

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32935 on: June 14, 2023, 11:21:45 PM »

How soon?
[close]

We're having this same discussion on two forums now!
:heh

This isn't part of the laptop odyssey (still on Acronym #2!) and I sold my Steam Deck and accessories off to cover most of the cost, so not much reason to return it unless it craps out before the return window is closed.

I kinda wondered if the Ally might be good enough for me to return the Z13 Acronym, and while it does have some impressive performance, it's nowhere near as good as the Z13 (which makes sense given that you could buy like three Allys for the price).  But it will be fun to use for couch and bedroom gaming and messing around with emulation.

Also forgot to note that I was running everything on turbo mode plugged in, which gives you 30w of power.  On battery it drops to 25w.
ど助平

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #32936 on: June 15, 2023, 01:36:00 AM »

I just posted it on the two forums. :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32937 on: June 15, 2023, 12:26:42 PM »
Found out that one of those Ally BIOS updates added an option to select VRAM- it defaults to 4GB, but you can select 8.  The recommendation was to try the auto-select option.

I checked out Call Of Duty again and the benchmark was a bit lower at 87 FPS in the result, but the game looked much better now.  Noticeably sharper and with less jaggies.

Got SF6 going at 60 FPS at 1080P now too.  But I think some of these games are going to be better at 720P for better framerates and added detail.
ど助平

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #32938 on: June 15, 2023, 03:42:36 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32939 on: June 15, 2023, 06:50:55 PM »

How soon?
[close]

Hey, guess what?

[close]

:dead :dead :dead :dead

I got the 2TB SSD I ordered early and went to clone it.  The only thing I had to use to both power it and plug something else in is the ASUS HDMI dock (rip-off of the Genki Switch dock that's an AC brick with PD, USB-A 2.0, and HDMI out).  The cloning process went insanely slow, so I left it and came back a few hours later.  The screen was off and it wouldn't wake up.  Had to force a cold boot and it was all fucked up after that.  Stuff not loading and a clicking noise coming from the inside of the unit that must be from a fan.  So heading to a Best Buy to exchange it now.
:dizzy

I am definitely not doing well with ASUS products.  :lol
ど助平