Author Topic: Borecast 38: This Podcast Is Too Hard  (Read 10162 times)

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Borecast 38: This Podcast Is Too Hard
« on: March 18, 2010, 03:29:14 PM »
direct download - http://media.libsyn.com/media/borecast/Borecast38.mp3

Segment One:  Stop Kicking My Ass

We explore the various ways in which games beat the hell out of us.

Segment Two: Playlist

(51:40) Final Fantasy 13

(1:22:00) Divinity II

(1:29:00) Mytran Wars

(1:34:40) Battle of Algiers (1966)

(1:41:00) Battlefield Bad Company 2

(1:53:20) Blur Multiplayer Beta

Mini-Indefensible (1:59:40)
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
sup

tehjaybo

• Kentucky-Bore's Last Hope
Re: Borecast 38: This Podcast Is Too Hard
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 03:30:10 PM »
Downnnnnnnlooding.
HURR

cool breeze

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 03:34:38 PM »
will listen for Battle of Algiers talk.  Saw that movie two semesters ago in class.  By the end of the class me, one girl, and the TA were the only ones left in the room.

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 03:43:48 PM »
Thanks.

Lots of gaming stuff.  I like it!

Did you guys talk about Demon's Souls in the beat down segment?  That's one game that I'm on the fence about.  I bought and returned it because I didn't think I would enjoy the frustrations that people were talking about. 

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 04:24:27 PM »
will listen for Battle of Algiers talk.  Saw that movie two semesters ago in class.  By the end of the class me, one girl, and the TA were the only ones left in the room.

It's a really cool film about a really interesting bit of history, but I can see people not being too interested if they don't have proper historical context and/or interest in the events. The intersection in Western European politics in the anti-communism and decolonization movement are IMO pretty interesting.

Then again I also am the world's most boring person.
hex

drew

• sy
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 04:30:55 PM »
streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaamiiing

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 04:59:20 PM »
lightning is tsundara
萌え~

drew

• sy
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 05:07:59 PM »
i never skip cutscenes, ill watch anything thats on my new hdtv

ANYTHING

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 06:31:51 PM »
Thanks.

Lots of gaming stuff.  I like it!

Did you guys talk about Demon's Souls in the beat down segment?  That's one game that I'm on the fence about.  I bought and returned it because I didn't think I would enjoy the frustrations that people were talking about. 

sadly, no

i haven't played it so i didn't think to bring it up

doug talked about it back in episode 22

http://media.libsyn.com/media/borecast/Borecast22.mp3
sup

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 08:16:10 PM »
RE: tourist mode

When I was a kid I got through Zelda 1 like that. I could never beat a dungeon the first time through so I would use Game Genie to be invincible, get through the dungeon, then reset the game and play through the dungeon with no Game Genie.

Saving was tied to death so I had no choice, but it was still a cool concept.

cool breeze

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 08:47:38 PM »

It's a really cool film about a really interesting bit of history, but I can see people not being too interested if they don't have proper historical context and/or interest in the events. The intersection in Western European politics in the anti-communism and decolonization movement are IMO pretty interesting.

Then again I also am the world's most boring person.

Well, the reason it was shown in class was because it was what we were studying at that time.  I stuck around and enjoyed it for what it was.  The scene I remember most is the woman casually strolling into a restaurant and leaving a bag bomb.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 08:48:47 PM »
Last one the topics didn't interest me at all, but I'm definitely downloading this one.  I love The Battle of Algiers (even have parts of the soundtrack on my iPod :rock).
PS4

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 09:03:52 PM »
RE: tourist mode

When I was a kid I got through Zelda 1 like that. I could never beat a dungeon the first time through so I would use Game Genie to be invincible, get through the dungeon, then reset the game and play through the dungeon with no Game Genie.

Saving was tied to death so I had no choice, but it was still a cool concept.

i'm a little surprised something like a tourist mode is not standard in this day and age, tbh
sup

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 09:07:54 PM »
When I was younger, I thought it was a mark of shame to play a game on anything less than "normal" difficulty. But now that I'm older and have less free time, I'm totally willing to play a game on a lower difficulty setting depending on the circumstances.  With something like Bayonetta, the point is to play on the harder difficulties and hone your reflexes, so it'd be a waste of time to play it on anything lower than normal.  But with something like the Mass Effect games, where my main interest is the storyline and RPG aspects, I have no problem playing on casual, especially since I've always been so awful at shooters.
PS4

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 09:12:49 PM »
that's my deal

gimme the fun ride in single player, let me worry about repetition and honing skills while getting my ass handed to me in multiplayer
sup

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 09:15:08 PM »
I would've probably avoided the ME games if they penalized you for playing on lower difficulties like some games do.
PS4

OptimoPeach

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 09:31:14 PM »
Downloadin
hi5

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 11:45:06 PM »
I DON'T LIKE WHAT YOU'RE SAYING ABOUT FINAL FANTASY XIII
Boo

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 11:52:53 PM »
I DON'T LIKE WHAT YOU'RE SAYING ABOUT FINAL FANTASY XIII

Just wait till they do Resonance of Fate next month.
PS4

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 08:00:58 AM »
Did Frag really suggest that daylight saving time should be adjusted by 15 minute transitions?  :lol

I think it's cute that you believe people would prefer to be inconvenienced eight times a year rather than twice a year. It's even cuter that you believe a sufficient portion of the population can add or subtract by 15. 

"I could do calculus in pre-school" *snort* "surely the rest of mankind can add or subtract by 15!"

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 08:03:34 AM »
I skipped the last podcast.  Is this one good?
🍆🍆

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 01:00:38 PM »
listen and find out!
duc

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 01:35:55 PM »
Did Frag really suggest that daylight saving time should be adjusted by 15 minute transitions?  :lol

Of course not, better to be rid of it entirely.

That being said, a basic philosophical shift of world view away from the discrete and more into the continuous would be better off for our species in the long run.
hex

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 04:26:56 PM »
Anyone reviewing God of War on the next one?
©ZH

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 06:01:09 PM »
i am.
duc

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 06:50:48 PM »
I keep zoning out.  Might I suggest bringing up whats going to discussed beforehand amongst yourselves and having some prep time?  Its really weird to hear one of you talk about something for 10 minutes at length, have one practice his 'active listening' recriprocality, and then one just be dead silent.  It just seems like a series of rants with no real chemistry to speak of.
sad

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 07:02:21 PM »
no, you may not suggest it because a) we usually spend an hour beforehand discussing the show, and b) ain't nothing wrong with letting a pal hold the podium. we will never be one of those squawking dudebro chatterbox podcasts, because we're there to actually express SOME level of knowledge/experience rather than 100% dude it up, AND as adults we've learned a LITTLE conversational respect

the day we turn to screeching nerd debate, verbal onmeupsmanship, dummied-up interpersonal drama, and collegiate conversational shenanigans is the day i quit podcasting altogether

besides, there's EVERY OTHER VIDEOGAMING PODCAST OUT THERE to provide you with that option
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 07:04:38 PM by Professor Prole »
duc

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 07:32:32 PM »
no, you may not suggest it because a) we usually spend an hour beforehand discussing the show, and b) ain't nothing wrong with letting a pal hold the podium. we will never be one of those squawking dudebro chatterbox podcasts, because we're there to actually express SOME level of knowledge/experience rather than 100% dude it up, AND as adults we've learned a LITTLE conversational respect

the day we turn to screeching nerd debate, verbal onmeupsmanship, dummied-up interpersonal drama, and collegiate conversational shenanigans
is the day i quit podcasting altogether

besides, there's EVERY OTHER VIDEOGAMING PODCAST OUT THERE to provide you with that option

and that's why the  :bow Borecast :bow2 is the only listen able podcast!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 07:35:09 PM by D3RANG3D »

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 07:36:44 PM »
Its too late, I already suggested it! Ha!  I see its been disregarded though.  I'm not saying you need to be the bombcast or anything like that.  Its just that with the non participant and the guy only practicing active listening basics.... its like you guys aren't THAT mutually interested in many topics.  It feels forced. 
sad

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 07:37:59 PM »

the day we turn to screeching nerd debate, verbal onmeupsmanship, dummied-up interpersonal drama, and collegiate conversational shenanigans
is the day i quit podcasting altogether

and that's why the  :bow Borecast :bow2 is the only listen able podcast!

Who the fuck are you?  Is this your alt, prole?
sad

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 08:01:40 PM »
i was really, really tired this time, which is why i didn't talk much

i had some things i wanted to ask when robert was talking about battle of algiers but i was so fuzzy-headed i forgot

also, two of the hindrances we face is skype lag and not being able to see each other, there would probably be a bit more back-and-forth if we were all in the same room

also sometimes i just like to sit back and listen and learn about things i have no foreknowledge of
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 08:03:50 PM by Eel O'Brian »
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 08:04:06 PM »
i'm really tired today, too
sup

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2010, 08:12:44 PM »
i was really, really tired this time, which is why i didn't talk much

i had some things i wanted to ask when robert was talking about battle of algiers but i was so fuzzy-headed i forgot

also, two of the hindrances we face is skype lag and not being able to see each other, there would probably be a bit more back-and-forth if we were all in the same room

also sometimes i just like to sit back and listen and learn about things i have no foreknowledge of

Hmm, that makes sense.
uhh yeah, buddy! or something something
sad

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2010, 08:14:44 PM »
Its too late, I already suggested it! Ha!  I see its been disregarded though.  I'm not saying you need to be the bombcast or anything like that.  Its just that with the non participant and the guy only practicing active listening basics.... its like you guys aren't THAT mutually interested in many topics.  It feels forced. 

ah, okay. dudebro podcast behaviors are a sore point with me, clearly!
duc

Smooth Groove

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2010, 08:54:55 PM »
EmCeeGrammar, at the end of the day, it is what it is.  Just take it one show at a time and believe that the Borecast crew is giving their 110%. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 08:56:27 PM by Smooth Groove »

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2010, 08:59:37 PM »
yeah...

110%

totally that
duc

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2010, 09:03:38 PM »
sometimes i only give 108%, and afterwards i feel like i cheated everyone out of that 2%
sup

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2010, 12:01:47 AM »
I got around to downloading and listening to the podcast while playing Red Faction, as well as Episode 37, which might just have replaced the Kentuckybore episode as my favorite one.

My position on difficulty is that I only play on the easiest modes.  I think that if the gameplay is somehow ruined with an easier difficulty, then the gameplay probably wasn't very good to begin with.  I'm not a sadomasochist who enjoys being brutally punished because I made a step or two from what the game wanted me to do.  That isn't my bag.

I prefer the podcast stay away from the manchildish fuckwittery that is exhibited on almost every gaming podcast, which is why I hated listening to them until the Borecast came out.  I think the formula of a person providing the bulk of the discussion with the other two to provide supplemental commentary works out well.
🍆🍆

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2010, 05:11:48 PM »
sometimes i only give 108%, and afterwards i feel like i cheated everyone out of that 2%

You have to give 112% the next time.
©@©™

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2010, 06:11:12 AM »
Listening to it now.

While I enjoy how you guys dish out your POVs on stuff (the difficulty in video games stuff was really interesting), I'm kind of  :-\ on all the "hahaha, stupid weaboos" stuff.  I agree - those guys you see at the Gamestop wearing anime t-shirts are sad.  Those guys on GAF who say that Xenogears had the best story since the Renaissance are really easy to mock.  But you guys end up coming off as though you're actually resentful that you have to share your hobby with pathetic losers like that.  And life's too short to harbor resentment for what is essentially a silly hobby.

Anyway, I know asking Prole to cut down on the snark is like asking Heidi Montag to lay off the plastic surgery, but it seems the gentleman doth protest too much at times.
PS4

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2010, 07:13:50 AM »
Just finished it.  Overall, really good.  I liked Eel's description of Bad Company 2 best.  I wanna hang out with Eel, sounds like such a cool guy.
PS4

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2010, 08:47:55 AM »
::)
PS4

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2010, 10:25:47 AM »
Now I'm listening to Borecast 32 with the Jim Thompson stuff.  Eel's got good taste in fiction.
PS4

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2010, 12:53:35 PM »
Quote from: ichirou
And life's too short to harbor resentment

o rly
duc

Smooth Groove

« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2010, 01:38:55 PM »
If you're gonna hate, do it in this life 'cause there ain't no hating in heaven. 

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2010, 03:36:16 PM »
Just finished it.  Overall, really good.  I liked Eel's description of Bad Company 2 best.  I wanna hang out with Eel, sounds like such a cool guy.

Now I'm listening to Borecast 32 with the Jim Thompson stuff.  Eel's got good taste in fiction.

:-*

btw, no show this week, life got in the way for us in various forms

we'll be back next week

i'm not gonna be around on the boards much other than these show threads for the next month or so, got a lot of personal bidness to take care of, so i've had to play the strict parent on myself and cut out almost all of my internet dickery for the time being - should be all cleared up around the end of april one way or another

not making a big dramatic announcement or anything here, just letting people know i'm not ignoring them in case i don't respond to messages or questions for a couple of days

sup

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2010, 06:59:16 PM »

o rly

Yeah, man.  There's a difference between feeling emotionally butt-hurt and wanting back your $200, you know? :)

You're too cynical.  You should let your heart be more pure, like Vanille. :heartbeat
PS4

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2010, 07:02:04 PM »
BTW, Eel, I'm ordering the Jim Thompson books you discussed on the Borecast right now.
PS4

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2010, 07:49:40 PM »

o rly

Yeah, man.  There's a difference between feeling emotionally butt-hurt and wanting back your $200, you know? :)

You're too cynical.  You should let your heart be more pure, like Vanille. :heartbeat

I hear if you put enough booze in him you can get Drinky to bounce around like Vanille. :heartbeat
hex

Smooth Groove

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2010, 07:55:51 PM »
Slightly disappointed as I really wanted to hear what Doug thinks of GOW3.  But I guess that will give him more time with the game and EEl should take care of his bidness first.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2010, 07:57:53 PM »
i will talk about gow3, infinite space, strange journey, resonance of fate -and - just cause 2! omg time used productively
duc

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2010, 08:01:07 PM »
i will talk about gow3, infinite space, strange journey, resonance of fate -and - just cause 2! omg time used productively

Which podcast did you guys talk about Mass Effect 2 in?  I'm going back thru your older ones these days.

Have you started Resonance of Fate yet, btw?
PS4

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2010, 08:05:07 PM »
I lavishly praised ME2 in Ep. 33 and 34. If a  game that comes out this year that I enjoy more than ME2, that will be a sweet surprise indeed.
hex

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2010, 08:07:31 PM »
Best game I've played on the 360 so far by a big margin.
PS4

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2010, 08:22:32 PM »
Best game I've played on the 360 so far by a big margin.

Best big budget next-gen console (even if you played it on the PC, it's a console game ) title period.
hex

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2010, 08:40:36 PM »
Only thing is I played through ME1 and 2 straight through so now I want ME3, like, tomorrow. :lol
PS4

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2010, 08:41:28 PM »
Only thing is I played through ME1 and 2 straight through so now I want ME3, like, tomorrow. :lol

The wait gives me an excuse to play through ME2 again after they release some big round-up pack with all the DLC and what not piled in, right before ME3 comes out.

In all seriousness, the jump from ME1 to ME2 is as big as the jump from Baldur's Gate to Baldur's Gate 2. Bioware should make more sequels-they are clearly really good at it.
hex

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2010, 08:48:14 PM »
Even the platinum hits version of ME1 was missing some of the DLC tho...Pinnacle Station was not included (I hear it sucked but still).
PS4

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2010, 08:53:13 PM »

Which podcast did you guys talk about Mass Effect 2 in?  I'm going back thru your older ones these days.

Have you started Resonance of Fate yet, btw?

i have indeed, and it is fudruckin' JAWESOME
duc